Community Cancelled at NBC

Community Season 6Six seasons and a movie? More like five seasons and a cancellation: NBC has axed Community, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | NBC Cancels Revolution and Growing Up Fisher

There’s no official word from the Peacock but sources confirm that the show’s April 17 Season 5 finale will end up being its series finale — unless, of course, Sony finds a new home for the Greendale gang.

That Community managed to air five full seasons was something of a victory in itself. After three low-rated (albeit critically lauded) seasons, NBC replaced creator Dan Harmon as showrunner, then brought him back for Season 5. At the end of Season 4, original cast member Chevy Chase exited amid controversy. Donald Glover, too, jumped ship after Episode 5 of Season 5.

TVLine’s handy Renewal Scorecard has been updated with the news.

1. Patti says:

I understand, but my heart is breaking. This is such a smart, funny, multi-layered show. I will watch reruns as much as possible. So much for 6 seasons and a movie!

2. Kimmy says:

So so sad right now. NBC is the worst.

3. thatdude says:

Whos gonna tell Abed?

4. imissdonuts says:

I legitimately keep coming back to this article, hoping there’s some sort of new news to make it all better.

That finale all but dared NBC to cancel the show. I can’t believe they seriously did it.

5. Sheldon Wiebe says:

Community was never a favorite show for me, but when it connected, it was awesome. I’m kinda sad to see it go.

6. Diz says:

I loved the show, but this is probably for the best. Them still revolving around the community college just didn’t make much sense for me anymore.

7. ncmacasl says:

#5SeasonsAndAPickUpFromAnotherNetworkThenAMovie

8. brix says:

I will be having a Community marathon on my Hulu account to show the site how much interest there is in bringing new episodes over to them. Six seasons and a movie!

9. Bmass says:

Sigh, I kind of figured, but it still stings a bit. This makes Parks and Rec NBC’s only watchable comedy.

10. nannarpite says:

NOOO!!! Why, NBC, why?!!!

11. Babybop says:

Ugh – such a loss. I’m hoping they’re going to hardcore pitch to Netflix to pick it up for one more season!

12. Tim4 says:

So that leaves Parks And Recreation as the only thing worth watching.

13. Norkir says:

If it has to go then I want to give it a send off that it’s worthy of. It was a very unique and special show and sometimes you wouldn’t even realize it till the end of the episode exactly how wonderful it was. everything about it brought a lot of pleasure and I’m glad I watched every episode! I will miss the Greendale gang even Chang.

14. Hot Dumb Italian Mike! says:

Last year I went on a date with a smokin’ hot chick that was a Miranda Kerr lookalike. For some reason she was OBSESSED with ” Community”. We watched it once before we had sex, the dhow was so annoying to me I barely could get it out of my head. Few weeks later she made me watch an entire season on blu -ray!!! It was f…..cking tortuous! A sense of humor is very subjective. Like whats better…hamburgers or burritos, Madoonna or GaGa, NY or L.A. All the actors are great, especially Joel M. But good God, someone please explain to me why theres so many fans for this thankfully, now burning in Hell show?? Damn, the things I do for sex…sheesh!

• Eric says:

First of all, the show has never been released on Blu-ray, so you’re either wrong or just plain lying. Second of all, wow you had sex! Congratulations, you must feel like such a big boy. Lastly, your post was unnecessary and dumb. Saying that a show, which clearly has a large fan base that doesn’t care about you being forced to watch a show that you did not like, is now “thankfully burning in Hell” is pointless. But then again, your post was really just to brag about how a lady finally let you do things to her. It’s so sad when a teenager is more mature than you are.

• Hot Dumb Italian Mike! says:

I just got back from lunch with ex girlfriend mentioned in previous post, and as much as I hate to admit it after talking to her….you were…ready for it….correct. Here’s my quick mea culpa. She reminded me that when we used to date I would ask her to watch my favorite show ….”Supernatural”. She hated this show and thought it was a mess….which it isnt, but still liked me enough to watch it with me. So, I humbly apologized to you and other fans of “Community”. Second, embarrassing admit , I did sound like a bit of a d bag, bragging about she and I hooking up. I’m 22, a man and human, so, I ‘m still I’m learning. She was most upset about that part when she read it. The only thing, she still says “Community” is definitely on blu ray, but ,then again she calls Kim Kardashian a savvy business woman. Anyway, sorry man you were right! Later bro!

15. YouMatchUp says:

Who was your favorite character on Community? I made a poll so everyone can vote. You can vote here… youmatchup.com/matchup/268/
    I’m interested to hear what you think!

16. Laura says:

If there’s no official word it shouldn’t be listed as officially cancelled just yet. It’s highly probable sure, but not official.

17. Why does this matter? says:

About time this got canceled. Screw Abed. As a real victim of Asperger’s, he makes me want to choke a kitten from how awfully represented he is.

18. Graham says:

This may open the door for Joel to replace Ferguson

19. Yuri says:

FIVE SEASONS AND TWO MOVIES.

20. Bruche says:

Glover didn’t “jump ship”. When it didn’t look like they were getting a 5th season he made other commitments involving his musical career.

21. ThatBob says:

While I liked the show, I have to admit I was hoping it would get the axe just to shut up the idiots who would always mindlessly chant “Six seasons and a movie” whenever the show was mentioned as if that mattered in the real world.

22. Laurie says:

I do not like sitcoms. Never have, not even as a child. And most of them are aimed at child-like minds. But I just discovered Community. It was quite frequently brilliant. Well written, well acted. I will miss it, if this is true. I would love another season, and a movie. I would love more time with these characters. NBC has the worst programming of the non-cable networks, and it just got even worse.

23. Scodge says:

NBC is human tennis elbow… it is a pizza burn on the roof of the world’s mouth… it is the opposite of batman

24. anna says:

Fans should be grateful that this show even got 5 seasons. Shows with bigger ratings were cancelled long before it.

25. John says:

Netflix should pick it up. Community was lucky enough to survive this long on NBC. Done with NBC anyway, it’s not like they have any good shows left.

26. Travis says:

WHAT MARKET ARE THEY SHOPPING AT? Oooooooo!!

27. DJ says:

BOO!
    so sad
    this f’n sucks.
    Return to the prime timeline!

28. Shoot down Joel McHale and Jim Rash!

29. Former Peacock Lover says:

Dear NBC…and now starts the boycott. Not just by me but my legions of followers on twitter (999k and counting). Seriously I am so done with you. I grew up on “must see TV” but now your poor decisions and lack of insight when it comes to which shows to get behind and promote gives m a headache. Give me a reason to come back. Make me proud as a peacock again.

30. alexjones says:

oh stop whining, the ratings were terrible, it was lucky to survive as long as it did, I’m pissed that the tomorrow people and revolution (which was getting better ratings than this) are cancelled but you don’t see me whining about it.

31. Emily says:

Very upset that NBC didn’t have the decency to give them even a short and final sixth season.

32. saskia den dulk says:

Joel McHale must have pissed somebody off with his WHCD comments…somebody with money and influence at NBC….

33. Aaron Smith says:

It figures….cancel all of your quality shows. What’s next? Parenthood? Why not just do The Voice Monday thru Wednesday, Biggest Loser Thurs-Friday and The Apprentice on Sunday. That’s about all NBC is good for anymore anyways……

34. kam says:

Noooooo, whats with everyone pms and power tripping, canceling good shows and keeping the bad, dont they know that people watch bad shows to fall asleep

35. kam says:

Nooo, whats with everyone pms and power tripping, canceling good shows and keeping the bad, dont they know that people watch bad shows to fall asleep

36. cherie says:

I can’t believe they canceled revolution it was a good show shame on NBC they don’t have many good shows they should cancel nbc

37. mariamatar says:

I just wish that they had decided it would only be 5 seasons and that they’d have ended it succinctly and on a high- what incredibly heartbreaking news

38. Blake says:

MY EMOTIONS! MY EMOTIONS!

39. andy sautel says:

I am making a community from the end of season 4 called timeline

40. Diane Daleo says:

Revolution, Community, The Bridge — what the frak is wrong with network executives! There is so much stupid crap on TV, and they cancel 3 very entertaining, well written show. I guess you need to program shows with narcissistic, shallow, & fabricated personalities to get people to watch tv.