ABC Cancels Trophy Wife, Suburgatory, The Neighbors and 2 More Comedies

Trophy Wife CanceledABC went on a mini-killing spree late Thursday, axing freshman comedies Trophy Wife and Mixology.

The carnage continued on Friday, when The Neighbors, Suburgatory and Super Fun Night joined the ranks of Alphabet Net cancelled series.

Stars of several of the axed series confirmed the news on Twitter (see below).

RELATED | ABC Renews 10 Series, Including Grey’s, Scandal, Revenge, Once and Castle

The five casualties join the already-dead The Assests, Back in the Game, Betrayal, Killer Women, Lucky 7, Mind Games and Once Upon a Time in Wonderland.

The jury is still out on Last Man Standing and Nashville. Refresh this post — and TVLine’s handy Renewal Scorecard — throughout the day for the latest.

1. Jess says:

C’mon Nashville please get renewed!!!

2. I’m not so sad about Mixology, but Trophy Wife was the best new comedy this year! That’s disappointing :(
    Fingers crossed for Nashville now.

• Ari says:

I’ve been catching up on Trophy Wife lately. I love Bert!

• pam says:

agree! This has been a bad year for new scripted comedy renewals, it seems like the goldbergs and brooklyn nine nine were the only ones that were picked up

• dkwilley says:

agree – it was SO much better than most of the new ones…

• rawley says:

I’m holding out hope the teeniest bit of hope that someone else picks it up. I could see it as a Netflix show or maybe TBS. Just not sure if there’d be enough interest.

• Mark says:

definitely did not deserve to get cancelled. Bert/Warren combo was fresh and funny.

• Quinn Mallory says:

Somehow, I thought Mixology was meant to be an anthology type of series. Even if it was renewed, we will get 10 new characters in season 2. I had enjoyed both Mixology and Trophy Wife, so I’m bummed to see them end.

• Whatevah says:

I was thinking this of Mixology too. I hope we get to see the last few episodes. I want to know who ends up w/ who.

• Linda says:

Trophy Wife was a best sitcom in a very long time. Should not have been cancelled.

• Julie says:

So sad about this! It never had a chance on Tuesday night but I bet would’ve done well paired with Modern Family.

3. Trai says:

Very upset about Trophy Wife. I really enjoyed it and wanted to see it succeed particularly because I love Bradley Whitford and still mourn the loss of The Good Guys.

• Amanda says:

I agree with everything you said. Good Guys was great!

• Patrick says:

Trophy Wife’s productions costs must have been astronomical. The top 3 leads of Harden, Bradley, and Ackerman would have cost the world on a weekly basis. For this show to survive, it had to be a relative “Hit.” And it wasn’t. Probably should have been post Modern Family to launch better.

4. luvtheheaven says:

I’m REALLY hoping Nashville gets renewed too.

5. Brooke says:

Trophy Wife was charming and funny and had a lot of heart, I never understood why it didn’t get more viewers. In any case, if TW didn’t make it, anyone still thinking Super Fun Night has a chance is delusional.

• pam says:

i’m going to be angry if super fun night gets a renewal instead of trophy wife

• rawley says:

I mean, I loved both but you’re right. Trophy Wife deserved a renewal more.

• cjeffery7 says:

it didnt get more viewers because it was up against Fox’s New Girl/Mindy/B9-9 comedy block, as well as the strong-ish mid-season addition of About A Boy. nobody’s thinking about ABC for comedy on Tuesday nights. put Trophy Wife behind Modern Family and BOOM! there goes the dynamite. *shakes head in sorrow*

• wyliesue62 says:

Exactly! Renew Trophy Wife, move it to Wednesdays after Modern Family and cancel Super Fun Night (which I’m sorry, is Super Painful).

• cjeffery7 says:

here’s what im betting happened. they decided to put their weaker pilot on after modern family, a relatively sound business decision, but leaving one of their strongest new comedies to flounder against Fox comedies. even if they did pick up Trophy Wife for a second season, they’d still want to use that post-Modern Family slot for a pilot (still a sound business decision), leaving Trophy Wife to drown even deeper in the ratings before canceling it half way through the season and having to shuffle things around to fill the void, potentially putting other new & sophomore shows in jeopardy. that initial scheduling decision was the first domino.

6. Lizabeth says:

I’m disappointed about Mixology. It’s really fun and gets better each week. I’m still unhappy about ABC’s cancellation of Happy Endings and to add this to it makes me think the network and I are just not compatible. If they offered me a rose right now, I would not accept it.

7. Eric says:

Trophy Wife, you will be missed. If only they had placed you after Modern Family, where you belonged.

• the girl says:

Thank you! Mixology had no business after Modern Family. Trophy Wife would have been perfect with Modern Fam and The Middle. ABC has truly mishandled their comedies in the last few years.

• Lili says:

With an amazing cast like that… it’s a shame that ABC bet on Rebel Wilson. I have nothing against her, I think she can be really funny, but Super Fun Night was a mess… and you have a sitcom with a formidable ensamble, lead by an Oscar winner actress and an Emmy winner actor… why not to give it your best time slot? Plus, there’s Albert Tsai.

• lar says:

sooooo agree! I can’t believe they cancelled it. It would have been perfect after Modern Family.

8. A.D. says:

This sucks Trophy Wife was so good!

9. dane-lvr says:

Trophy Wife is (was) funny, family viewing. Sad to see it go. The children act like children and not mini adults.

10. Ugh…I really enjoyed Trophy Wife. I’ll miss seeing it next season.

11. Antonio says:

Already expected TW getting cancelled, but it doesn’t make it hurt any less. Let’s hope next time ABC gets such great actors and plot on a show they schedule it right so the right audience can give it a chance.

12. K says:

Shame about Trophy Wife, it was a fun comedy with heart. :( i hope another network picks it up like Cougar Town but it’s not gonna happen.

13. Claire says:

WTF….Nashville MUST stay

14. neha says:

Really sad about Trophy Wife. One of the best comedies this year. Just wish it had been given a chance, with a better time slot.

• Ari says:

I’ve been watch Trophy Wife on Hulu and honestly I have no idea when it’s actually on. I’ve never seen an ad for it.

• mari johnson says:

Too bad ABC gave trophy wife such a poor name. The show is laugh out loud funny! A better name would have had people check it out. The term trophy wife is a negative term to begin with, a lot of people would not even give it the time of day because of the name!

• I like the name. People who think titles are everything can go eff some deer antlers. Even Cougar Town got pretty okay ratings with its poor treatment. Success isn’t a generic name like Bones, Castle, Law & Order or an acronym of some sort, success is a combination of overall quality, appealing actors, effective marketing and strategic scheduling. ABC only got the first two. Both The Goldbergs and Trophy Wife lost one third of the audience from their premiere, but unfortunately for the better show, The Goldbergs had the benefit of retaining more viewers from a strongish lead-in. I don’t know why people would tune out, but that’s just how it works. On the other hand, GCB probably would have gotten more buzz had they kept their apt title from being spayed.

• neha says:

Totally agree. You would have thought that they would have learned their lesson with Cougar Town. It goes to show that generic, non-offensive names are the best.

• pam says:

agree! Its the cougar town situation all over again, people were probably turned off by the name and didn’t want to give the show a chance. ABC needs to do extensive title testing from now on

15. LynnH says:

What about The Neighbors!??

16. ale says:

Aw Bradley!!! :'(

17. Alicia says:

Someone above used the words I have always used to describe it…charming, funny & heartfelt with a great cast. Best new comedy this year. So sad. :(

18. Liz says:

I knew it was coming, but TW I will miss you! A truly amazing cast!

19. Elle says:

Sad about Trophy Wife. I loved watching that show.

20. leahbh says:

NOOOO! :( I think a lot of trophy wife’s problem was it’s name, so many people didn’t even give it a chance. I’m so sad, I love that show.

21. Anna says:

I’m really sad about Trophy Wife. When are people gonna learn to give their show a name that’s not gonna make people judge it without having seen it??
    Now please don’t cancel Nashville. Please, just don’t.

22. erin says:

What?!?! Trophy Wife was one of the best comedies this year :( I was hoping they would renew it and move it after Modern Family..

23. jen says:

Like many others on here, I’m bummed about Trophy Wife. Such a good show! What a shame :(

24. Jen says:

Ugh, so bummed about Trophy Wife! There have been too many good comedies canceled this season. :(

25. kinberly says:

Soooo devastated …. Trophy Wife was Amazing…… Can not believe they canceled it

Should have know – Learned years ago
    ABC …Always Be Canceling

26. Aleana says:

Noooo! Loved Trophy Wife it was funny have a amazing characters and cast

27. SherryB says:

Why do the networks leave the viewers hanging so long? A show here, a show there, others still waiting to hear..WE are the fans of their respective programming, the buyers from their advertisers..Nashville is a GOOD show and deserves to be renewed, as is Last Man Standing.. But the powers that be just keep us and the shows cast dangling and its not fair..Tell us already and get it over with..

28. C. says:

I’m so disappointed they decided to cancel Trophy Wife, it was really good and truly funny! And there was such a good chemistry between all the characters, I can’t believe they didn’t give it another chance.

29. Miranda says:

COME ON NASHVILLE!

30. CeeCee says:

I love Trophy Wife. I require BURT on my TV at least once a week! ABC has joined FOX on my list….

31. David says:

Its tough for any ABC comedy outside of Wednesday. TW would have had a better shot at success behind Modern Family. Super Fun Night and Mixology never should have made it on the air. Putting Goldbergs and TW behind Shield wasn’t the best choice. Hope Suburgatory makes it. They can move Goldbergs to Wed after Middle and Suburgatory after MF.

32. Jackie says:

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! :( not Trophy Wife!!!! It is one of only two comedies on tv I even watch.TBS or some other network should pick it up!!!! If they keep the ridiculous Super Fun Night over this they have to be insane.

And please do NOT cancel Nashville!!!! Another great show and ensemble cast!

33. Unkystan says:

Have the aluen Neighbors turned invisible? Love this show.

34. M says:

ABC should have put Trophy Wife on Wednesday nights after the misses of Super Fun Night and Mixology.

35. Ray says:

Stupid ABC. They made a huge scheduling blunder by not pairing Trophy Wife with Modern Family from the start. I’m certain the ratings would have been much improved.

36. Rich says:

I’ve been enjoying Mixology, but I’m not disappointed to see it go. It had a story to tell about that one night and they’re telling it.

37. MandaJ says:

Trophy Wife being cancelled is balls! Every week TW gave full on laughs and showed a non traditional family supporting each other with heart. I am gutted. I will miss Bradley on my tv and man, no more Bert Wheels? So wrong> :(

38. Wes says:

Boo!!! Bad decision ABC on Trophy Wife. It was a funny, sweet and charming show.

39. jo jo jo says:

Hey!! Dont forget about The Neighbors!!!! i love that show you dont even have that on your Jury is still out list

40. Rebecca says:

Really sad about Trophy Wife. It was my favorite of the new comedies.

41. Dizzle says:

Sucks for Trophy Wife that ABC really wanted a young friends “hangout sitcom” hit instead of just keeping Happy Endings…. TW probably would’ve blown UP had it aired with Modern Family

42. #Nashville #Nashville #Nashville It’s different from anything else on TV and I needs it!

43. dman6015 says:

I’m surprised they’re even going to show the remaining episodes of Mixology. One of the worst shows on TV this year.

• Kevin says:

Your joking right??
      It was funny witty and was entertaining.
      There is a lot worse so called comedies out there!!

44. Liza says:

I am not surprised about Trophy Wife, but I am horribly sad and disappointed!!! What a terrific show! Funny, terrific cast, the whole package. Like so many other commenters have posted, it needed to be on Wednesdays!!!!

45. Joey Padron says:

Sad Trophy Wife got canceled. It was a good, funny, and sweet show. I’m gonna miss it.

46. Dan says:

I’m bummed that Trophy Wife got cancelled, but it didn’t have the ratings to warrant another season. It would have been great to schedule the show on Wednesdays with some of their other family comedies, but such is programming. I just appreciate ABC for airing the whole season. One and done, but a great one.

47. Jenn says:

I’m not surprised about Mixology (even though I don’t think it’s a bad show), but Trophy Wife’s cancellation nearly breaks my heart. It’s so consistently funny!

48. c.stulz says:

I’m hoping #Suburgatory gets renewed,II really enjoy spending time with the crazies in Chatswin!

49. RS says:

Became a late viewer to Trophy Wife and found it sweet–the marriage episode was tops and better than most other ‘big name’ scripted shows. I guess there weren’t enough bodies blowing up and car chases. Speaks volumes about networks and viewers these days. Sad…

50. Boiler says:

Agree with everyone else on Trophy Wife. My favorite new comedy that ABC horribly mismanaged in favor of, my term only, junk. Hopefully ABC will explain this horrible decision