Carrie Diaries, Tomorrow People and One More Cancelled, Three Others Renewed by The CW

cw renewed cancelled 2014Carrie Bradshaw has fallen out of fashion — and Tomorrow is yesterday’s news — at least as far as The CW is concerned.

The network has pulled the plug on The Carrie Diaries, its Sex and the City prequel series, after two seasons, and has also cancelled freshman dramas The Tomorrow People and Star-Crossed, TVLine has learned.

It wasn’t all bad news at The CW, however, as Hart of Dixie, Beauty and the Beast and The 100 were each picked up for an additional season today as the network firmed up plans for its 2014-2015 roster.

RELATED | Fall TV Scoop: The CW Orders Four New Dramas, Including The Flash

Carrie Diaries, a charming, ’80s-era teen drama, based on the Candice Bushnell book, ended its run in late January with an audience of 910,000 and a 0.4 demo rating, making its cancellation a widely predicted conclusion. It starred AnnaSophia Robb in the role made famous by Sarah Jessica Parker. (If you’re curious about how the show wrapped its myriad storylines, you can read our recap of the finale here.)

PHOTOS | May Sweeps Scoopapalooza: 99+ Spoilers on Your Favorite Series’ Season-Ending Episodes

On Monday, Star-Crossed served up its penultimate installment and The Tomorrow People wrapped its freshman season with similarly depressed numbers — 930K/0.3 and 1 mil/0.4, respectively — with the latter series’ capper scoring an average grade of “B-” from TVLine readers. (Read our finale recap here.)

The CW is expected to reveal next week which nights Hart of Dixie‘s fourth season, Beauty and the Beast‘s third season and The 100‘s second season will air.

Back in February, the network issued early renewals to five series: The Vampire Diaries, The Originals, Reign, Supernatural and Arrow.

Sad about these cancellations — or was it the right time to call time of death? Which characters will you miss most? (Mark this as one vote for Carrie Diaries‘ Walt.) What about Dixie, Beauty and The 100‘s renewals? Stoked? Surprised? Sound off below!

1. dkwilley says:

tomorrow people and star-crossed are both better than the 100…. :(

2. Antoinette says:

Well I will just say this….Beauty and the Beast will really need to redeem itself if it dares to see a season 4. Im sorry but The 100 is utterly horrible. I am glad that Heart of Dixie got another chance seeing that it was sent to Tv wasteland that is Friday nights. Was not surprised by the other cancellations though. The first Tomorrow People in the 70’s didnt do well nor did the revamp in the 90’s. Anyway Im just waiting to see what the rest of May Sweeps will bring!!! ;)

3. LE says:

I know it’s unreleated but WOOW ABC it’s really taking it’s time to renew or cancel something….

4. Roger says:

Gutted by Tomorrow People, they need strong female characters who don’t rely on men and they SEVERELY lack them.

5. Meredith E. says:

I don’t know whether I am more disappointed that Tomorrow People or Star-crossed has been cancelled. I can’t say I liked the new John at all, but I really liked the show. Frankly, I am getting bored with Beauty & the Beast and would have preferred it go instead. At least Arrow will be back.

6. Brandy says:

Really sad about CD,SC but happy about HoD,BatB.How many episodes will HoD have?

7. Dee says:

Still can’t believe Beauty & The Beast got picked up but Tomorrow People didn’t…what the hell. Tomorrow People got so much better as the season picked up and the finale was awesome!! They should have never moved it off of Wednesdays!

8. woodyinho says:

The biggest surprise is B&tB renewal. WTH?????

9. sarah says:

I am a little shocked they renewed HOD (stopped watching this season as I did not think it would make it) and Beauty and the Beas, I do not watch it but didn’t it have a super long hiatus?
    I am glad that I did not tune in to Tomorrow People and Star Crossed!

10. GoodbyeTheTomorrowPeople says:

I was hoping for a last minute saver for The Tomorrow People. There were some slow episodes but, like Agents of Shield, really picked up in the back set. Glad The 100 and Heart of Dixie were renewed. I watch Beauty and the Beast but would not have been too sad if it was cancelled especially if it meant The Tomorrow People was renewed. I still have most of the Star Crossed episodes on my dvr but will delete them now.

• Lena says:

Definitely disappointed about TTP cancellation. Instead they renew the bubble show Beauty and the Beast for another season of bad writing. Wonderful. The ratings were not better for that show as well.

11. Brian Kyle says:

ok mixed happy for Hart of Dixie but The Tomorrow People and Star-Crossed deserved to be renewed both shows are 1000 percent better than The 100

12. Brandy says:

Glad for BatB & HoD but am crushed CD ,SC were cancelled

13. Michael says:

Stoked about HoD!!!

Very, very happy for the BatB fans. I might end up watching the first season know that I know it’s continued.

I’ve recorded all episodes of Star-Crossed, but now that it’s cancelled I guess I won’t bother.

14. BOO! I want more Star Crossed! I don’t really care about the other ones :( I think you guys didn’t boost it enough, and that’s why it failed to get viewers…it was a fabulous show. The characters were just starting to grow!!

15. janean137 says:

I Think we should do some hard core petitioning for the tomorrow people! With that cliffhanger! Ugh we deserve at least a few episodes more!

16. Aubree says:

I’ve noticed an irritating pattern over the last 2-3 television seasons. TV corporations such as Fox Television, The CW, and ABC broadcasting have continually brought us…the viewers…new shows that are unique, entertaining, fun and most importantly, NOT copycats or slight spinoffs of other shows and their themes. However, these shthenare then cancelled and put away as if they never existed. They’re given one season our just 1/2 a season for the viewers to watch and become engrossed but then they’re just snatched away. I, like I’m sure many others are, am getting sick of this. The Tomorrow People was/is one of the more unique new shows brought to us. Every episode may not have been right on the markmark but the overall story line and concept drew us in. The season finale ended with such a great ‘bang’ and then 1day later it’s cancelled. I think that every fan out there needs to realty and tell the CW and other corporations that they want there shows back. The more ppl who voice there frustrations and their request for a shows reinstatement is the only chance we have top possibly not losing what we’ve all come to enjoy so much.

• John NYC says:

Numbers in that range (900k?) apparently don’t make economic sense and none of those corporations (in any business really) are either charities or interested in losing money. People simply will not pay for advertising no one will see.

• Katherine215 says:

The Tomorrow People was a remake of a remake of a 1970s British show. So it was not actually a unique new show.
      I get your frustration about losing your shows (I’m likely to lose several favorites myself). But TV is a business, and the networks just aren’t going to keep low-rated shows around if they’re not going to make money. You’re better off encouraging Nielsen viewers to watch your favorite shows than requesting reinstatement, unfortunately.

17. Jacqi says:

The CW (or as I call it another one bites the dust channel). I swear every new series I get into on The CW gets canceled after 1 season. I am glad we got a sort of ending for TTP and it wasnt really a cliff hanger. Hope star-crossed does the same thing. The only show that I watch on this network now will be TVD.

18. CMarie says:

So SO glad Hart of Dixie got renewed! I would have been too upset to lose it before they got Zoe and Wade back together :)

19. Talia says:

Really disappointed that The Tomorrow People was cancelled. Not watching any of these new shows next season. I’d rather wait for the renewal news than waste 13-22 hours watching another show that gets cancelled.

20. MaryLou says:

I liked the Tomorrow People, and am totally disappointed at the CW cancelling it. Crap! On the other hand, I read on another thread that they passed on that Supernatural spin-off, and I couldn’t agree with them more on that. The episode they had as a pilot was awful, and left me feeling like “who cares”.

21. brenna says:

I really loved Star Crossed. I will not be watching any new series with the CW because they never really gave Star Crossed a chance with when it began, where it was placed, the promotion, etc. It’s not fun to get interested in a show just for it to be cancelled, so why take the chance with anything on CW.

22. Debbie says:

OMG you almost gave me a heart attack with Hart of Dixie pictured with the other two. With so many dramas it is nice to have a light-hearted generally feel good type show.

23. Kay says:

I’m not surprised about Star-Crossed at all. The Tomorrow People was good for a bit but I was severely disappointed with how things turned out.

24. Luca says:

I loved The Tomorrow People, i’m really disappointed.

25. MandaJ says:

Sucks about The Tomorrow People. Still lots of story to tell there. :( Happy about Hart of Dixie but do hope they use this “surprise” renewal to refresh somewhat. The last few episodes were not exactly noteworthy.

26. Mark says:

All the shows renewed on CW have had cushy lead-ins to help promote them. And HOD was only renewed because of syndication not ratings. BATB well this I can not figure out they committed complete character assassination on this and the ratings are worse than the shows currently on air in Star Crossed and recently finished TTP. Star Crossed was thrown under the bus from the start no cushy lead in on a Monday and started during the Olympics — yet it started higher than HOD by 30% (this websites figures) in that timeslot. And stayed steady not loosing many eyeballs even on the hardest night of the week up against Bones, the Winter Olympics, 24, Live Another Day, The Voice to name a few. What was HOD and Beauty up against on a Friday Hawaii Five 0 and Grimm and these are established shows not a freshman show which just proves CW canned this from the beginning….. After the massacre of this week of Crisis , Surviving Jack and now Star Crossed and TTP. The chances of me giving the new fall shows ago until they reach at least season two or a back end order pretty good, on all networks as Im tired of wasting my time investing in characters and good stories to have no end or closure..

• Ina says:

“What was HoD and Beauty up against on a Friday”??? Beauty and the Beast was never on Friday, they had to deal with the competitive Monday night too from the start of the season. And let’s not forget it was aired on Sunday in Canada. That wasn’t helping either. And let’s not start about their lack of promotion too. So they had to deal with the same things SC did.

• Mark says:

To start with BATB in the first season had as its cushy lead in the Vampire diaries On its first showing of season two it shed 69% of its viewers. It only averaged 06 in the whole of season 1 with this lead in anyway.

Mon 10/07/2013 02-01 0.30 -75.00%† 0.860 -69.06%†

Mon 02/03/2014 02-12 0.37 19.35% 0.930 13.00%

Mon 02/10/2014 02-13 0.27 -27.03% 0.743 -20.11%

Mon 02/17/2014 02-14 0.30 11.11% 0.775 4.31%

Mon 03/03/2014 02-15 0.30 0.00% 0.868 12.00%

Mon 03/10/2014 02-16 0.23 -23.33% 0.796 -8.29%

Season averages 0.29 -52.05% 0.79 -50.90%

So not managing over a million eyeballs yet this season and was a returning show so should have done significantly better than a freshman show starting in the middle of the Olympics which Star Crossed did. So lets compare shall we

Mon 02/17/2014 01-01 0.45 1.284

Mon 02/24/2014 01-02 0.34 -24.44% 1.138 -11.37%

Mon 03/03/2014 01-03 0.37 8.82% 1.121 -1.49%

Mon 03/10/2014 01-04 0.25 -32.43% 0.992 -11.51%

Mon 03/17/2014 01-05 0.32 28.00% 1.001 0.91%

Mon 03/24/2014 01-06 0.31 -3.13% 0.879 -12.19%

Mon 03/31/2014 01-07 0.38 22.58% 1.043 18.66%

Mon 04/07/2014 01-08 0.34 -10.53% 0.952 -8.72%

Mon 04/14/2014 01-09 0.28 -17.65% 0.758 -20.38%

Mon 04/21/2014 01-10 0.27 -3.57% 0.814 7.39%

Mon 04/28/2014 01-11 0.27 0.00% 0.830 1.97%

Mon 05/05/2014 01-12 0.32 18.52% 0.871 4.94%

0.33 #DIV/0! 0.97

And that is with one episode to go. So in comparison to BATB which show should have stayed on the air well going on a Monday 8pm timeslot Star crossed does much better than BATB ever did there the numbers dont lie. The numbers are freely available on tvbythenumbers & tvseriesfinale.
        check them out

• Pia says:

Hart of Dixie is established, not a freshman show. Although it does get bumped on my DVR in favor of Grimm and Hawaii Five-0. I catch up online Saturday morning.

• brenna says:

I completely agree with you Mark.

27. Melissa says:

I loved Star Crossed and the Tomorrow People…and they both have better rating than BATB!!! UGH!!!!!!

28. Melissa says:

This is very depressing news. They cancel promising shows like Star Crossed without giving them a decent chance. This is the reason why I don’t watch much tv anymore. Why bother tuning into a show when they’re just going to give up on it? We fans have to band together and show the CW that we want it back for season 2. #RenewStarCrossed!!!!

29. Brit says:

I want to know how Beauty & the Beast made it and not the Tomorrow People. I was looking forward to the second season.

30. LJ says:

I’m glad The 100 got renewed – Like over the freakin’ moon! – As much as I love Beauty And The Beast, the show is dropping for me and I really think The Tomorrow People should have taken it’s slot.

31. Romi says:

I loved the Carrie Diaries and will miss it a lot. Loved the cast.

32. lame says:

After ALMOST HUMAN got cancelled, nothing will surprise me.

• CBWBDK1 says:

I still can’t believe they cancelled that show. It was so good! I hate fox.

• Lena says:

They cancelled Almost Human when The Following was making around the same ratings. Also, they promoted The Following like crazy in my area, but yet AH barely got ANY promotion but maintained a steady amount of viewers. Bad decision, IMHO.

33. Sarah-Ann says:

They cancelled the Tomorrow People, I really loved that show! Why not ditch Beauty and the Beast with its terrible ratings and keep The Tomorrow People..?

34. Danj says:

not watching any off the new shows

35. Morgan says:

I am truly happy the BAtB was renewed. However, I’m getting irritated when people who’ve said they never watched the show, are complaining about the renewal. I’m sorry for your loss. But my loved one survived. It’s time to move on to the next step of the grieving process; acceptance.

• Lucy says:

I guess all the threats to be renewed from BATB fans paid off huhh?

• Liz says:

I watch the show and was part of the push to help BATB get a second season….and I was kinda hoping it would get cancelled. This season was horrible. Worse than horrible.

• Guest(whose real name shall NEVER be revealed) says:

(In General Grievous voice) If i can speak for those certain people that’s complaining about the renewal? That’s easy because THEY KNOW the show is bad! That’s why they don’t watch it. Bad ratings, bad reviews from critics and yet… The CW renew it for another season?! The same network that pulled it until June gets to comes back?! Oh and last time i checked TTP NEVER did a 0.2 in the ratings, BATB has! How does the latter get renewed and the other one doesn’t?! BATB should have been cancelled after its 1st season! If i couldn’t get another season for Young Justice, Green Lantern The Animated Series, and The Tomorrow People then everyone’s precious little BATB should not get another season! And No WE will not accept the fact that BATB got renewed which really should have been cancelled. So Morgan you and your precious little “Beasties” can celebrate while you can… (In Rex Raptor from Yu-gi-oh voice) because your party is about to crash! HA! HA! HA!

36. Joey Padron says:

Sad The Tomorrow People got canceled. Happy Hart of Dixie got renewed for season 4.

37. Nate says:

Great, now Julie Plec can make TVD good again, i get she’s a busy woman but whoever she put in charge for this season of TVD is terrible

38. sabrina says:

Completely shocked about the BATB renewal considering its awful ratings. I guess other factors factored heavily into its renewal. I’m not surprised about the other cancellations though.

39. Tony Lang says:

The CW: Because Fox Just Doesn’t Piss You Off Quite Enough!

40. Liz says:

Wow Beauty and the Beast. Guess that means I have to keep watching?

41. bj says:

I’m glad the 100 was renewed as it’s gotten really good and I can see lots of potential for future storylines. I was losing interest in the Tomorrow People.

BATB has a very vocal fan base.

42. Meredith says:

Excited for BATB and HOD, but I have to admit a little sad about Star-Crossed. At least The Carrie Diaries had a pretty well wrapped up season/series finale.

43. Alexandra Wales says:

I am Sooo angry that The Tomorrow People got cancelled. That was one of my favorite new shows! First they got rid of Amellsday and now they cancelled it completely. Just ridiculous! They renewed the 100 and that show is a copy of 4400. I mean really?!?! I love Star-Crossed too. So I am very unhappy about this. They need to stop making new shows if they are just going to cancel them after one season.

• Francine says:

How is The 100 anything like The 4400?

• Ashley says:

They renewed The 100 because it has way better ratings than The Tomorrow People. And the TTP used to have the Arrow lead in, so that’s not the reason why, either. I’m not saying they should have cancelled TTP, but The 100 renewal was well deserved. And it’s a good show. You should check it out. The pilot is not a good thing to judge it by, as it keeps getting better with each episode. The most recent episode. 1×08 Day Trip, was the best of the season so far.

44. Josh says:

Honestly I think BATB fans should celebrate quietly because there’s no way in hell that show should of been renewed ending it spring finale with a 0.2 demo. BATB now got a bounty on its head from pissed off fanbases. In rightfully so. So I wouldn’t brag, but just be thankful this show already has 44 episodes in CBS wants it for syndication (that’s why it was renewed). So its possible this show will get 2 more seasons it don’t deserve.

• Christian says:

Girl, bye. And yes I’m calling you a girl because you’re acting like one. Put your big boy pants on and stop waaaahing. It’s unbecoming and you won’t attract anyone that way!

• Josh says:

Christian just stating facts cause it sure don’t have nothing to do with loud fans why it was renewed.
        PS. I am a girl so back up off it. In if you don’t like what I post then don’t bother.

• Lucy says:

Deadline reported last week that it could be renewed due to internal politics, it’s the only logical theory I think.

CBS didn’t want to cancel 2 of it’s shows and chose to keep the sophomore.
        I guess we are about to see the only show in network history hit a 0.0 in the demo. Bye Girl)

• Liz says:

Check your misogyny brah

• Guest(whose real name shall NEVER be revealed) says:

I agree with you, Josh. This show not only get generally unfavourable reviews from critics but the ratings are bad as well. TTP has NEVER gotten a 0.2 during its run and BATB has so how does the latter get renewed but TTP doesn’t?! It really doesn’t make any sense. BATB fans, all i can say to you is enjoy your celebration while it lasts because it will come with a BIG TIME HALT! It doesn’t deserve a renewal then, it certainly doesn’t deserve it now!

45. BrianR says:

Super pleased that Dixie is alive. Its nice to have one show that is just sweet to watch with no bloodbaths, murders, rapes, or crime other than some bumbling snooping.

46. Hmm says:

YESSS BEAUTY AND THE BEAST

47. Ger says:

The cute guy Quota on the CW just dropped dramatically. Bye Robbie, Luke and Matt. Sorry Grant you don’t meet the standard.

48. Viv says:

Certainly there are reasons why B&B was renewed with this ratings…
    disappointed about the cancellation of TTP, but that is absolutly no surprise. Little bit sad. I will pretend that the series ended with Astrid and John in the sub. And next season I won´t watch any new series on The CW (I can´t bare it anymore after TSC and now TTP) – I´m not important for ratings so I will wait and see which shows get a second season. But… I said this every year since 2011 so… well…

49. Candice says:

I watch all the renewed shows so I am happy. I’m a little disappointed about TTP and Star-Crossed, but I’ll live.

50. GhostWolf says:

Not surprised about TTP. They messed up the concept and focused too much on Stephen and would have continued to do so in s2. Will just go back to watching the UK and Australia versions.