Reign's Toby Regbo Previews New Baby Drama, a 'Satisfying' Season Finale Reveal and More

Reign Season Finale SpoilersWill Francis figure out the truth about Lola’s baby? Will he and Mary ever conceive one of their own? And how will they deal with King Crazypants? Tonight’s Reign (The CW, 9/8c) finally addresses some of our biggest questions, though star Toby Regbo tells TVLine we’ll never guess how it all ends.

RELATED | May Sweeps Scoopapalooza: 99+ Spoilers on Your Favorite Series’ Season-Ending Episodes

Below, Regbo previews the final two episodes of Season 1, including Mary and Francis’ plan to overthrow King Henry once and for all.

(Disclaimer: When the following interview took place, Regbo was sitting in London, downing tea and scones under an overcast sky. Just thought you’d enjoy that visual.)

TVLINE | Francis returns from war this week. What will his reunion be like with Mary?
I think they’re probably going to do it, because they haven’t seen each other in ages and they love kissing each other. They’re always kissing each other all of the time. … He’s got some trepidation because he didn’t quite do what he said he was going to do; he didn’t help her mom. But I think she’s excited to see him back alive. You can have an argument with someone, but when things get really serious and someone could die, that really puts things into perspective. You go, “What were we arguing about? Come here, kiss me on the mouth!”

TVLINE | Along those lines, is having a baby still their No. 1 priority?
Definitely. For royalty, that’s pretty much the most important thing. You’ve got to keep the line going. Every time King Henry’s wife didn’t have a baby, he cut her head off. So she better have a baby quick, or else she’s out of here. [Laughs]

Reign Season Finale SpoilersTVLINE | And King Henry keeps getting nuttier. I understand Francis is about to become a target of his?
He’s about to say something really crazy about me in the next one. I’m trying to protect my dad. I’m optimistic that he’s going to recover, that maybe he’s being poisoned or that it’s just the pressure of being a leader. I’m on his side, though my mother and Mary don’t seem as hopeful.

TVLINE | Well, he’ll soon be teaming up with Mary against Henry, right?
What Francis hopes to do is to get him off the throne, somehow, and keep him locked up. Then Francis will have to become king. It’s slowly looming that, maybe, responsibility is coming into his hands.

TVLINE | Francis is getting pretty good at locking people up. First Mary, now Henry?
Yeah, he’s great at it. It’s one of his favorite things. He likes long walks on the beach, tennis and locking people in towers.

TVLINE | On a darker note, literally, I’m told the finale will explain what the “Darkness” is. What can you tell me?
You’ll definitely find out what that darkness is. I think it’s a sort of glove puppet.

TVLINE | Sounds about right. Without saying what it is, do you remember your reaction when you found out?
I went, “Ooooooh s–t!” It’s a lot of tying things together in a very neat fashion. It’ll be very satisfying television to watch when it all comes together.

Reign Season Finale SpoilersTVLINE | Lola is also about to give birth to Francis’ child. Will he ever figure out that it’s his?
I think, when the baby’s born, it’ll come out with my exact haircut.

TVLINE | Maybe your beard, too?
Well, actually, I draw that beard on every morning. It’s just painted. [Laughs] No, I’ve been growing it since birth. … Honestly, though, he probably will figure it out at some point. And I don’t even know what the political implications would be. He’d probably just be a bastard like Sebastian. He’d become a maverick, just like Bash.

TVLINE | Speaking of Francis, the relationship between the brothers has been improving lately. Will that continue?
Yeah, I think so. This whole Team Bash/Team Francis thing irks me a bit. I’ve basically been betrothed to this woman since I was six, and I’m deeply in love with her, and then my brother comes in and kisses her for no reason. Why are people on his side? He can’t do that. That’s rude. But no, our relationship is getting better. He saved me from underneath that ice, which we did in a tank. If I had actually fallen through that ice, Francis would have been dead — immediately dead. There’s no way I could have gotten out of that ice alive.

TVLINE | And that’s the only part we’re pretending is possible?
Oh, yeah. Everything else is completely logical and makes perfect sense.

Reign fans, how do you predict Season 1 will end for Francis and the rest of French Court? Drop a comment with your theories below.

1. Guest says:

Toby is amazing, such a shame he didn’t do much interview for this season. Hope to see much more stuff from him with Season 2.

2. Aryn says:

So excited to see the last two episodes! I am even more excited that it was picked up for Season 2…if only they hadn’t gone so fast through this season, not sure what their reasoning for all the time leaps was meant for?? Maybe the last 8 shows have been a dream of one of the cast? It picks up again as Mary is getting off the stage at French Court for the first time :) Ah, to live it again with more would be AWESOME!!! I know you think I’m nuts, oh well I love this show!

3. Nicole says:

This guy is just made of win. He should do more interviews.

4. Tee says:

Cute interview!

I’m glad it got renewed for a second season. I almost gave up on it earlier on, when Francis and Mary’s constant breakups and makeups seemed to overpower the storyline, but it’s definitely much improved now.

5. Sara says:

Toby is hilarious. More interviews with him, please. I, too, hate Team Bash or Team Francis. Can we have one CW show where there is no love triangle?

6. Lainey says:

Lol he’s such a witty hilarious young man. He should do more interviews. Excited to see the last 2 episodes.

7. Wendy says:

I LOVE THIS INTERVIEW!! LOVE TOBY! LOVE HIS HUMOR! Can’t wait for the episode tonight! Frary Forever!

8. wingsstef says:

I like Bash, but I thought the triangle was little silly. It was okay when it was flirtation, however when it moved to the proposed marriage… I mean England did that annulment mess that caused so much trouble and Mary actually thought that was a good idea to copy that? I mean if Mary Tudor had to deal with the whole saga whether she was legitimate enough to be Queen, did Mary Stuart really think that if she actually married Bash someone else wouldn’t come later and challenge her? I am glad that brothers are getting along again and that Mary is married to Francis. Of course, I am sure there are lots of different problems still needs dealing. I still have a couple episodes to catch up on before tonight, but I am excited. Looks like I missed some good stuff.

9. Gerry says:

Thrilled Mary is with Francis, still worried how that baby will somehow take them apart. Lola is happy, Francis is happy, Bash is happy, can’t we leave it alone for a while, and concentrate on Henry and Katherine.

10. ? says:

When this show started, it was all “OOOOOO, pretty dresses!!” and “OOOOO, boys!!1!” and I almost stopped watching because it looked like it was going to be another lame CW teen “drama” in period costumes. Now, though, it’s all “OOOOO, MURDER!!!” and I really, really like it.

Somewhere around episode nine or ten when it started taking lessons from the dirty Game of Thrones handbook on court politics it got pretty good.

11. R says:

This might be one of the most entertaining interviews I’ve ever read. Seriously, why is the CW keeping this one under wraps. He should be everywhere. Glove puppet. LOL

12. Ella says:

Toby is hysterical. Awesome interview, I grinned the whole way through reading it.

13. luc says:

Hahaha, this is hilarious! Toby is amazing. Great guy and great sense of humor. I wish we could have more interviews from him! Love Reign and and I’m really excited for the finale!

14. tif says:

Toby is amazing. so hilarious and a fantastic actor. I too agree the whole team bash/team francis thing was tiresome, not to mention “rude” on bash’s part. seriously though, love Toby and want to hear more interviews from him.

15. addie says:

Toby is hilarious, please let him do more interviews! I totally agree with him on the Bash/Francis/Mary triangle. I do love Bash, but he really never stood a chance. I love him more with Kenna. This show has gotten so much better after dropping the triangle. I wish other shows could learn from that. So excited for the finale.

16. Kita says:

I <3 this show. Well what I want to happen is for Lola to just disappear. Ok! you having the soon to be kings baby by your queens husband. You lucky your head ain't chopped off lol. And I want Mary to stop trying to be so nice to people just cause they blood. Giving up your chance as queen of England so you don't have beef with your cousin bye girl. She wouldn't do the same believe me. And I want her to finally get pregnant, but I'm pretty sure none of that is gonna happen oh! One thing I don't want to happen and I know is gonna happen is king Henry gotta go bye bye lol seriously.

17. Donna says:

Can’t wait till season 2. Love this show. Love Mary with Francis.