NBC Renews Law & Order: SVU for Season 16

Law & Order: SVU Renewed Season 16NBC has renewed Law & Order: Special Victims Unit for Season 16, the network announced on Wednesday.

PHOTOS | May Sweeps Scoopapalooza: 99+ Spoilers on Your Favorite Series’ Season-Ending Episodes

The veteran NBC drama has gone through something of a transition this season, having said goodbye to original cast members Dann Florek and Richard Belzer, who played Captain Donald Cragen and Sgt. John Munch, respectively

Meanwhile, B.D. Wong will reprise his role as Dr. George Huang in this season’s penultimate episode, airing May 14.

TVLine’s 2014 Renewal Scorecard has been updated to reflect the news.

1. AGB says:

Very solid ratings. What a resilient show.

• Esaul says:

Agreed. The franchise has done so much for the network over the past twenty years. The fact that it still pulls the numbers that it does speaks miles about the show still. I’ve stopped watching this season, not because of the direction, but because of time restrictions, but I’m glad it’s still pulling through. I don’t think NBC would be where it is today without the aid of the franchise, similar to how I feel about USA Network.

• Bev Ward says:

This is the best ever, bringing back Cassidy and Olivia and Cassidy having a real relationship again. I love it. Both are the best actors in the world although I miss Christopher Meloni. He had the magic touch but I think Cassidy can replace it.

• beckkyy says:

Does this mean there will be a season 16 of law and order svu

2. webly3 says:

Oh no. Parenthood’s renewal wasn’t announced along with it.

3. Andrew Hass says:

I’m not surprised that NBC renewed Law and Order:SVU because it has good ratings and good reviews.Now it may end after next season but the network may want to give the show time to plan a fitting end to the series.

4. kelsey says:

if SVU can get renewed, how about Parenthood???

5. Chantel says:

Yes !! I wish Christopher Meloni would come back !!

6. LSJ says:

I’m not surprised. However, I think this show stands a better chance of survival next season if they get rid of Benson. The one thing that this show struggled with (that its predecessor did not) was that it did not have a rotating cast. People freaked when Meloni left and I’m sure some viewers will boycott if/when Benson goes.

7. Forwardad says:

Is it normal to announce renewals one by one ?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

There is no “normal” during Upfronts week (or the week before, for that matter). –Mgmt.

• herman1959 says:

Sorry, I’m late to the party Matt, but what is this “Upfronts Week” you keep referring to?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Annual dog-and-pony show here in NYC where the networks take turns announcing/introducing cast and clips from their new shows, revealing their fall schedules…. You’ll see dozens of exciting posts on TVLine about it next week. NBC is up first, Monday morning.

8. Tran says:

Never saw it coming. Wonder if SVU won’t make it for at least 20 seasons, the same number of years the original L&O had.

9. Best news ever. Even better if chris comes back?

10. dji says:

what about revolution?

• Christy says:

I also want to know more about Revolution renewal chances. I know they are slim… but holding out hope. I adore that show

11. chloe says:

i know donal logue is signed on for gotham, but i hope he can do both. i’d hate to see him leave svu.

12. worthymagic says:

It’s about time. This season has been great and there wasn’t a reason in the world to cancel it(although some of you out there will have no problem making some up). it will probably be Mariska Hargitay’s last season, but who knows? If she really wants to leave after season 16, then they should start looking for a replacement by the end of the year. I suggested Connie Nielsen. Someone else suggested Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio. I’m sure there are lots of other good choices out there. I would doubt that Chris Meloni will be back. I suggested Adam Beach(who has been rotting in jail since he was written out). Maybe Dick Wolf will set him free. I’m definitely looking forward to another season of Kelli Giddish.

• Crackerwhite says:

This should have been canceled it is boring and pointless. Worst show ever

• Goldman says:

Agree i have liked the past few years. but Benson has become suck a B*tch lately in the series that she needs to go forever to even have the show become good anymore.

13. I’d like SVU to get to 21.

• Esaul says:

I don’t think that will happen, as much as I want it to.

• it be great if it did. Then again, many people are referring to 24 Live Another Day as season nine in spite of that show being off the air for four years, so maybe all NBC needs to do is bring Law & Order back for a summer series (13 episodes or something more or less like that) as a 21st season to help it break the record. No one said shows couldn’t take extended breaks between seasons.

14. Jean bohrn says:

I know Parenthood has been renewed, but when?? So happy SVU was renewed too!! Olivia was awesome with that looney psyco!!

15. Michelle says:

Very happy that SVU lives to see another year. Would now really love it if they brought Donal Logue into the squad full time as I think his character is a great addition to the show after losing Munch & Cragen.

16. Talk about a show reinventing itself and succeeding. I know Marsika Hargitay was thinking about leaving a couple of seasons ago to spend more time with her husband and children but the show agreed to let her shoot fewer episodes. Now here she is the center of the show again as squad commander. Glad they’ll be back because I’m curious to see where they go with it.

17. Ed says:

Bring back Conviction, L&O: Trial By Jury, L&O: LA, L&O: CI and L&O!!! Bring back all of them!!!

18. Kenny says:

The show is fresher than ever, good job NBC!!!!!

19. Eric says:

I am not a fan, but I’m happy for those who are. Less so because it takes away a time slot that could be given to Parenthood and/or Hannibal. As long as those two get renewals as well, I guess we can all live together in peace.

20. jenferner8 says:

Whoo hoo! Bring on the suspenders, another season of Barba!!

21. David says:

I read they were having money issues holding up the renewal. I’m glad it’s sticking around. They need to not have Benson as an authority figure though. It just didn’t go over well. It will be a sad day when it is finally time for the final episode but I’m glad it won’t be this year! I think they were premature in canceling the original. With all of the issues NBC is having with their reasons maybe there’s room for another try with a new law and order series at some point.

22. Aprilcot says:

Maybe they’ll give Benson something better to do next season…

23. canuck22 says:

The only shows I want to hear about are Revolution, Parenthood and Believe. I don’t watch anything else on NBC.

• rflairfan1 says:

Well consider Believe was pulled from the schedule I think you have your answer on that one.

24. nancy says:

I quit watching months ago. They ruined the show for me.

25. Josh says:

poor chris meloni. awks that surviving jack got the can today and this got renewed…

26. Hege says:

Am I the only one who thinks the show has turned int to a soapopera? I’ve stopped watching. Too much personal stuff. I like a little peronal stuff but not all the time, every episode. And I got tired of the saveBenson thing. I don’t mind the rotation of the cast.

27. pamela says:

Hopefully nbc gives svu a proper ending unlike the original law and order which just got a kick in the face for all the years it gave them.

28. I always used to study piece of writing in news papers but now as I am a user of
    web therefore from now I am using net for posts, thanks to
    web.

29. N tTVf says:

Happy for Mariska H, one of my favorites. However, part of me still hopes to see the day when she does some comedy on TV – I’d love to see her working in something that shows off her smile once in a while and gives her a role a little more ‘light’ and ‘fun’ to play. Even if she just does a guest star role on a comedy once in a while when SVU wraps up, I’d like to see that.

I’m probably in the minority here (from reading the other comments up-thread), but my belief is when Mariska leaves SVU, the show will end it’s run – no SVU w/o Mariska – just my humble opinion.

But for now, happy to see her and the show back for S16, and we’ll see where this goes in the future.

30. Very glad to hear this news. It is still a very well done hour and I think some of the episodes this season have been some of their best.

31. JB says:

What I really do not like is the crazy programming that takes really unusual breaks…No one has the time or patience to follow all this nonsense…I would like to give TIVO credit, it watches and lets us know what is going on…We have had TIVO for nearly 20 years and love it…We have 3 and 2 can 2 recording at the same time…We have always been “there for our shows”…I just do not like the way TV has gone as far as the programming…And then there is the $191 we pay for cable…Never could have imagined the outragioussness of it all! UGH…Just not where we invissioned ourselves at this point in life…Weird at best…

32. Hello Yellow says:

Congrats to Law and Order SVU! Well deserved! I watch it on NBC as well as the marathons on the USA network!

33. Maggie says:

I like Law and Order SVU but I love Parenthood and would rather see that renewed.

34. Jeff says:

Great, now they can kidnap Benson a few more times…

35. Tiffany says:

I love it. “Who could ask for anything more”

36. timetogo says:

So happy SVU will be back. Love this show. I don’t think I would miss Benson’s character as I don’see how she could be OK after all she has been thru. Hope the lasts at least another couple of years. I. DID NOT see Rollings and Amauro getting together. What’s up?

37. Bev Ward says:

I hope SUV makes it more than 20 years. It is best show on TV. I love Cassidy and Benson together, it makes for wonderful relationship since Christopher Meloni left the show

38. It’s so wonderful to see that this show has been renewed for another season! As die-hard as I am for this show, I’m also realistic enough to know when a show is losing its luster. I don’t want to see SVU end before it should, but I sadly see that happening in one or two seasons. Something about the “feels” that I get lately give me the impression that it may be time to retire such a wonderful series. Of course, it would be absolutely wonderful if this series extends into twenty-one seasons before ending. Let’s stay realistic, though.

Christopher Meloni, Richard Belzer, and (name of Cragen’s actor) are not coming back anytime soon. They’ve all had their wonderful runs and therefore deserve their exits from the show. It’s great that B.D. Wong is returning for next week’s episode (he’s my favorite actor), and it would be nice if he had more of an appearance in season sixteen, but I won’t complain if he doesn’t. He too has had a long enough run in the series, but I didn’t like how he left. Rather than having George Huang shipped out to Oklahoma “in secret,” so to speak, a more appropriate exit from the series would have been nice.

But, that’s just my opinion.

• Crackerwhite says:

Law and order is boring the show should have been canceled a million years ago. It shows the same stuff as the news go read or watch the news.

39. Zoe says:

Come on, longest-running series! -fistpump-

40. Wish they would have a benson and stabler show and get rid of everyone else. I love a soap opera with a little bit of crime mixed in. That’s my opinion and I am sticking to it. Have a good day.

41. Crackerwhite says:

Worst show ever, so boring and stupid. There are way more interesting things that come on the. T. V. Better things funny things. Instead of watching go read the news or watch the news that’s where they get there boring ideas from go right to the source skip the middle man go watch or read the news. You people who enjoy this trash must be the most boring people ever. A snail going across a driveway is more interesting. The show should end to make room for more sitcoms and funny shows. I’d rather rip my eyes out from there sockets and throw them in a Porta potty, than watch this. I’d rather have a stranger who never bathed hug me.

42. dr oz recommended diet pills

43. Gvone Wharton says:

I gotta see Chester Lake, come back because I wanna see where they left off, when he shot and killed a police officer that rape two girls. Maybe, Fin can see his partner again, maybe Chester and Novak relationship or Chester could be free, from being arrested from jail, that could be great for the fans, Chester Lake was my favorite character in the show.

44. cordless phone with answering machine reviews