Arrow Recap: Happy Father's Day...?

Arrow Recap Malcolm Merlyn ReturnsThe CW’s Arrow this Wednesday set the stage for its Season 2 finale, raising the question (as Twitter follower Michel aptly put it): “If this is the penultimate episode, what is the finale gonna be like?!”

RELATED | May Sweeps Scoopapalooza: 99+ Spoilers on Your Favorite Series’ Season-Ending Episodes

Picking up immediately after last week’s episode, at the close of which Oliver dropped a street on some of Slade’s army, Oliver found himself separated from Laurel by a heap of rubble. Cue the Laurel With a Bow photo that launched 1,000 comments, as Oliver guided her to launch an arrow bomb into the debris, creating an exit for her. (Special bonus: Oliver briefly explained how a compound bow is easy to pull back. Where is this guy in the Comments section when we need him?)

Once back on the streets, Oliver and Laurel met up with Dig and Felicity (the latter of which plowed her van into Ravager/Isabel, to save Dig’s bacon. Cool/fun, yes, and accompanied by a zinger, but woulda been nice to see Dig actually hold his own for a bit longer.) The good news? STAR Labs has created a Mirakuru cure. The bad news: The courier’s car crashed, the driver injured — and Slade listened in on the call. Slade’s goons thus intercept the package, but Sebastian Blood — after failing to keep a Mirakuru’d marauder from snapping the DA’s neck, and realizing Slade has zero plans for Starling City to live on — ultimately gets the cure into Team Arrow’s hands, even at the cost of his own life (as Isabel drove a sword through him).

But can the cure be trusted? Oliver hesitates to use Roy as a lab rat, but towards episode’s end, after he gets word that A.R.G.U.S. troops have cordoned off the city and plan to turn it onto a “crater” at dawn, he jabs the needle into Roy….

RELATED | Arrow‘s Katie Cassidy Ponders Black Canary’s Legacy and Teases a ‘Whirlwind’ Finale

Elsewhere in the thrilling, “big”-feeling hour:

* After leaving Oliver to do his Arrow thing, Laurel bumps into Canary (which we learn is the translation of the name given Sara by the League of Assassins) — and promptly hugs her sister and welcomes her back. Laurel then delivers one of her, “You are a hero” pep talks. Sara’s skeptical, but proves her mettle when she rushes into a burning building to save a small child. (And somehow her wig didn’t go up in flames ASAP. Must be quality stuff.) Oh, and Quentin got his badge back, once the boss guy realized he knows what the hell is going on and knows how to maybe fix it!

* When Oliver launches into one of his Monologues of Self-Doubt, listing all of those he has failed — the entire city of Starling included — Felicity steers the boy back onto the right track with an impassioned speech. A really terrific bit of work by Emily Bett Rickards.

* And last but far from least — hell, he’s the photo up above!  — Malcolm Merlyn resurfaces just in time to save Thea’s life at the train station (“I’m her father” — chills). Thea, though, is in no mood to deliver an early Father’s Day card. And even after Malcolm saves her, again, from a Mirakuru’d thug, Thea’s not feeling the warm fuzzies. And as the hour closes, she fires a gun at dear ol’ Dad….

What did you think of “Streets of Fire”? How do you think Team Arrow will administer the cure to four dozen grunts? I’m picturing the climax of Despicable Me 2.

1. Tina says:

Loved it!! Felicity speech to Oliver was so good.

• She’s kind of beating the Laurel pep-talks isn’t she :) Really, “they gave you a pretty name” – REALLY????

• Jess says:

WHY DOES EVERYONE HATE LAUREL??? Just because in the comics she’s Oliver’s main love interest, doesn’t mean she’s a threat on the tv show to a Oliver/Felicity romance. Everyone needs to cool it on Laurel because she’s pretty darn awesome. She’s shown the most character development this season than any other character on the show.

• I’m not a shipper, I couldn’t care less who Oliver ends up with romantically. It’s just that she drains the life out of any scene she’s in, her lines are terrible “Go… save the city” as if even the writers can’t be bothered anymore.

• Rebecca says:

I don’t understand why “Go…save the city!” is a tertible line! That was the the right moment to say it. I wonder..if Diggle had said it, would you have even noticed how bad this line was?

• JC1 says:

To me, it wasn’t that it was a terrible line. It was how she said it, along with that dramatic stare. It just came across as so overly dramatic and cheesy. I was like “wow, been taking lessons from the David Caruso school of acting much?” I think David Ramsey could have delivered the line without making it sound melodramatic.

• Trish says:

How long have you been holding that one in, because with the exception of this one poster I don’t see anyone giving one fig about her. I see a bunch of extremely happy Arrow fans…FINALLY! So save the drama, no need for the “Leave Britney alone” speeches tonight. But it looks like even THAT is a problem. Can’t make a martyr out of someone that has barely rated a mention now, can you?

• Dominator of destruction says:

lol no she was stronger in the pilot ep last year she has gone backwards this year and Sara has easily had the most development from the females anyway

• Toby says:

Completely agree with you!! Laurel’s my favourite character! She did great this episode! her lines were amazing, and her storyline too!

• CBWBDK1 says:

Give me a break! Laurel is terrible! Her lines are terrible. The actress is terrible. Where the hell was she looking at when she said “Go save the city”. Staring in the distance? It was terrible! I laughed so hard!!

• JC says:

I agree with you Jess! I mean they compare Laurel with everyone on the show. Laurel and Felicity are different! It is not a competition. This season was great for the development of Laurel and I hope it continues into season 3 :)

• Dominator of destruction says:

Sara and Oliver are easily the most developed characters this year add in Thea too

2. Aadil says:

Who else thought Felicity & Oliver were going to kiss after felicity ‘s speech

• Mike R. says:

The amount of time Felicity and Oliver could have organically kissed each other in this last part of the season is ridiculous. I’m not sure how hard I even ship Olicity, but had they kissed any time in the last few episode, it would not have seemed out of place.

• Peter says:

Yeah speaking as a guy who can typically take or leave romance in shows where that isn’t meant to be the focus, I found myself shouting, “Kiss, you idiots!” at least once. Still I like the camera lingering on their kinda intimate touches, really helps emphasize how powerful such gestures can be sometimes.

• Toby says:

I hate this! This is done only for audience! Come on, kiss her! I find scenes like this to be ridiculous :/ People complain about Diggle being out of screen…Of course he is! He needs to stay away from them only to please Oliciters…

• wonderwall says:

LOL I think all shows do everything for the audience… And Diggle not having enough screentime is NOT because of Oliver/Felicty or their fans. Diggle is basically the supporting actor Arrow needs, but not the one it deserves.

• Toby says:

Then it’s useless to say “It started with the 3 of us” if Diggle is pretty useless, because he is! I feel sorry for authors if they have to do something only fo audience! I’m ok with Oliver and Felicity, but all theese scenes where nothing happens are embarassing to watch.

• wonderwall says:

I don’t really understand the issue here… Oliver has always confided in Felicity so that scene didn’t really come out of nowhere. And while Diggle didn’t have many lines he was right beside Oliver the whole time. Would I have liked to have seen more Digg? Absolutely. But for the longest time Oliver had felt as though everything that was happening was Olivers fault. And when he starts to think that he gives up on himself. So it was nice to see someone like felicity who pretty much embodies everything that is pure and light bring him out of that dark hole he put himself in. No one else could’ve done that. And even if digg were there he wouldn’t have said much anyways because Felicity had it under control. It says a person a lot when a person as good as felicity believes in you. So hopefully we won’t see mopey / existential Oliver for a long while. And based on this episode you can see just how integral Felicity is to Olivers hero journey.

• Toby says:

A speech like that was great to hear! But with that soundtrack, since we are almost at season finale a kiss would have fit the episode! This is only one scene, i’m complaining about every other scene, done like that one! There are a lot! I really hope Diggle could be more on screen on season 3!

• A says:

Maybe they’re saving it for the finale? They’ve had so many almost kisses, just kiss already lol

• EJ386 says:

I think Sara will die and eventually Olli ends up with Felicity, whilst Laurel becomes Canary and gets to be her own person.

• GildedRose says:

Me! Totally thought they were going to lock lips, and I’d totally have been okay with it.

• Lizzie says:

I wanted a kiss so bad but knew if wasnf going to happen. But another OLicity note, if you follow Emily & Stephen on Instagram you would have seen that they were the only two filming on the island for the season finally.
        So what’s up with that!! Man next Wednesday can not get here fast enough.

• John NYC says:

Emily on the island? Did you mean Caity?

• anna says:

That’s kindof a spoiler…I think…but I don’t follow the Twitter accounts…because I don’t want to get SPOILED. No spoiler speculation please guys!

• Lizzie says:

Nope Emily & Stephen were the only two (at least that what it looked like) filming on the island set. That’s why I said it was weird might not be anything though

• John NYC says:

Well, we’ll see in a week!

Totally surprised by this show, not one I expected to be close to this entertaining.

3. Bender says:

Great epis

• Bender says:

Great episode, had a little dark knight rises feel. Capt. Jack Harkness/Malcolm Merlyn cannot die from being shot by Thea of all people, I don’t buy it.

• BTM says:

Oh, I think that would be hilarious! Survives the hero’s death blow only to be shot by a pissed-off teenager with no weapons training. It’s Elvis on the toilet all over again!

4. mac says:

If Malcolm is actually dead I’ll throw a hissy fit

• Ashley says:

Agreed. It would seem like a waste to bring him back from the dead to only appear in two episodes, then get killed by Thea. Seems more like a fake out where she’ll have shot one of Slade’s guys coming up behind him or took out his leg to get away from him or something.

• sladewilson says:

I was thinking the same thing. Why do I think Thea will either realize Ollie’s secret or Malcolm will tell her…

• marie says:

I actually think she did not shoot Malcome at all. I guess that masked guy was standing behind him again and thea shot that guy before he could kill Malcome.

• Bill says:

Yeah, he can’t be dead. A TV Line spoiler says he tells Thea he’ll never lie to her. I kept waiting for that line last night. Guess it comes up next week.
        It was a great episode…well, except for that terribly corny “The city needs you. Go …save the city.”

• Check the last scene again. Someone else fired twice, not Thea. You do not actually see the muzzle fire coming from her gun, just the flashes in the background. The camera purposely did that to trick the viewers! Bah, so many good cliffhangers in this show!

• Lambsilencer says:

Thank you! I had the exact same thought when I saw the scene. I could rewatch it and look more closely if it was Thea who shot, but I won’t. Gotta keep the suspense up. :) But I’m pretty sure it wasn’t her. If it was her, she didn’t kill Malcolm. I doubt they would make Thea a cold-blooded killer, even though she might have had her reasons.

• anna says:

They can’t kill John Barrowman! If they do that after killing Susanna Thompson, it will be official: they kill off all their best actors. I’d be scared for Paul Blackthorne.
      I’m kind of done with Slade. I want a new villain…or Malcolm Merlyn back. I actually like Blood more than Slade as a villain…Blood has layers. Slade is just bonkers.

• Of course they can’t kill John Barrowman; Malcolm Merlyn clearly has the same powers of Not Dying, Ever that Jack Harkness does. [One could theorize that Malcolm Merlyn actually is Jack Harkness having some sort of psychotic break (i.e. a Valeyard moment), but nobody's ever going to admit that onscreen because lawyers.]

• JLK says:

I think if Slade is given the antidote, it could humanize him a bit and make him more of an interesting villain. But otherwise I agree. If they’re just going to have him continue on this delusional power trip some more next season, it’ll be incredibly boring.

• Toby says:

No please no!!! He must have wore a body armor!

• mb says:

Precisely! He’d be a rubbish assassin if he didn’t wear body armor. I really dont understand why people would be freaking out over Thea shooting Malcolm.

I’m far more interested in the fact that he told Thea he believed her RE pulling the trigger yet laughed in Tommy’s face before knocking him out last year.

• psac says:

Yeah, he really looks like he’s wearing body armor when he’s in the assassin getup, he looks twice his normal size.

• JC says:

They better not kill him, I still think that even tough he was so evil last season, he can still be redeemed :)

• Jellymoff says:

I believe (and this might be a spoiler but it was in the preview for the next episode) in the preview for the finale they show team Arrow all together and the “Dark Archer” was with them. They didn’t show his face, but who else would it be. It was a quick shot, so I could be wrong…

5. Lysh says:

I loved the feeling this episode gave that Starling exists in a real world, with Sebastian turning down the state governor’s help, the military, Amanda mentioning that she has to look out for the rest of the country/planet if mirakuru gets out. Sometimes it feels like Starling City is on an island when these things would really be on national news at 6:30.
    Everyone was awesome. It was great to see Barrowman again, too.
    I haven’t seen Despicable Me 2 yet, but I’m gonna watch it this week just for you, TVLine.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

ITA. I won’t go so far as to liken it to a Nolan/Batman film, but some of the exterior pieces — like Team Arrow scrambling across that causeway littered with burning cars — felt big, tactile and “real.”

• GildedRose says:

I like that Arrow is venturing back to that “realism” side and less… fantastical? That’s what drew me to it in Season 1.

• Karen MT says:

The whole “cordoning off the city” felt like The Dark Knight Returns. :/

6. Fosho says:

Yet again the Team Arrow trio FTW! Felicity being a badass behind the wheel was so cool. I bet she’s been waiting to run over Isabel since episode 6. I loved seeing Lance reinstated even though he’s always been detective Lance in my heart. Thea having some agency in her paternity story line was very nice to see and who doesn’t love having John Barrowman back on their screen. The Oliver and Felicity scene was beautiful. Diggle, Oliver and Felicity working together is the best part of this show.

7. nate says:

cant wait to see the Laurel “hate” even tho she hasn’t done anything

• EP says:

Actually I really liked her scene with Sara.

• Ali B. says:

No hate here, and I dislike her in pretty much every way, but I found her to be not at all annoying and even somewhat likeable in this ep. I enjoy her when she’s interacting with her family. It’s the (IMO) forced OTP with Oliver that I find unpalatable. They’re awful for one another and I just don’t have any interest in watching it rehashed over and over again in countless incarnations. They both need to let go (and Oliver needs to stay away from any woman with the surname Lance).

More eps using her like this, and I could get behind her.

• anna says:

I wish KC would recognize the TRUE love story in Laurel’s life that deserves attention–her relationship with Sara. Because really, I loved the Laurel-Sara scenes in this episode. She’s got chemistry with her TV family. With Oliver, not so much. I liked Laurel in this episode. But I think it might have something to do with the fact that she was away from Oliver in most of her scenes. I was also re-watching her scenes with Colin Donnell in S1, and she has awesome chemistry with him, too.
        Also, does anyone else think Laurel might take over her boss’ job? Coz if the Arrow now has an in with the police (Quentin) and the DA office (Laurel), that has potential.

• Been saying that for a couple of weeks — Laurel as the eventual DA would give her something to do and a way to work with Team Arrow. In fact, they could have her be an ally some weeks, and an antagonist other weeks when she feels they are crossing the line too much. Could be a potentially very interesting dynamic there.

• Toby says:

I fell so sorry for laurel’s boss =( She could have become someone important according to DC comics. Yes I thought Laurel might take her place but she’s not in the position (She’s just been rehabilitated in Lawyer order!)

• What!? Aren’t people totally wanting to see Oliver get with Quentin’s ex-wife? :P

8. steff says:

This episode was amazing. Those Olicity moments were fantastic. Cannot wait for the finale!!

9. Ashley says:

Such a great episode. I really love how this show just seems to keep improving on itself between the storylines and the characters. So happy that it’s already been renewed so I don’t have to worry about The CW making the mistake of cutting it before season 3. Can’t wait for the finale.

Still holding out hope that we’ll get a scene between Amanda and Slade in the finale though! Just for the Spartacus fans.

10. Briggs says:

My heart is still thumping. Oh, man. I’m glad that they got Laurel out of the line of fire, since she’s not a Masked One (I use this to refer to those that hide a secret life, so in a way, it also applies to Diggle and Felicity). Though, Oliver had a point; with them or not, the city itself is dangerous right now. That poor courier.

I admit, it was awesome to see Felicity run down Isabel with a van. Much cooler had she done it when the woman wasn’t doped up, but we can’t have everything (Me, hold a grudge? I don’t know what you’re talking about). It was nice to see that maybe Isabel was jealous of Felicity. Smug little face? Since when?

And aside from the blonde hair, why the heck would the League named anyone after a bright, pretty bird? Nyssa must have done it, is my thought. It only makes sense, unless Ras Al Ghul ‘adopted’ Sara in a more affectionate way than most of his people.

Hmm. Did Thea kill Merlyn? Shoot at someone behind him? And was Malcolm bright enough to wear kevlar? He said he knew she’d be upset with him…

All in all… Do we really have to wait another week? Really?

11. Rick Katze says:

On TV shows, rule #1:If someone fires a gun and the shot blacks out without seeing what was hit, it’s unlikely that the person who is apparently the target has been shot.

Besides everyone wants to see Oliver and Merlin meet again, maybe as allies?

Wonderful episodes which closes a number of threads considering its not the final episode of the season.

The two big questions hopefully to be answered next week: 1. Does Sara survive? 2, Once Roy is better, does Thea find out about Oliver?

• nate says:

UNLESS…its Scandal lol (rip James)

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Nate earns 250 TVLine Power User points for that retort.

• Jess says:

James was pretty useless though. David isn’t useless so he wasn’t gonna die.

And in the context of this show, Merlyn’s not usesless, so he won’t die. At least I hope not.

• M3rc Nate says:

My thoughts about him still being alive are

1) Theres no way part of his Dark Archer getup isnt bullet-resistant….aka a kevlar vest built into his outfit.

2) I agree, odds are with a black out to a shooting almost always starts with them surviving.

3) In the preview for the next episode, when all the good guys were walking in a group in a tunnel, the League of Shadows Dark Archer look alikes were on the Arrows side (Good guys)…obviously Nyssa is back so maybe she brought them with, but maybe the guy in the LOA Dark Archer outfit standing to the right of Roy is the Dark Archer. They were very specifically walking in a “important people in the front *V* ” formation and he was in the *V* formation on the very right.

• Toby says:

I really hope Sara survives the finale.

12. Ali says:

This episode was AMAZING!!! Edge of your seat action. As per usual the Oliver + Felicity scenes really hit out of the park. Just beautiful. Stephen and Emily continue to slay.

• Dominator of destruction says:

I think the Sara/Laurel scene and the Sara/Ollie scene on the island were the standout scenes this ep and i hate Laurel so….

13. Mike R. says:

Now that Roy is presumably back, can the please speed( pun completely intended) up his evolution into Speedy, and then eventually Arsenal.

14. Alichat says:

I enjoyed tonight’s episode except there were some moments when the dialogue was just really bad. I loved the Felicity and Oliver moments tho, and I’m thinking Thea put a few bullets into one of the masked Mirakuru dudes.

15. Trish says:

How freaking on FIRE was Team Arrow tonight? This is why you do not mess with what works. Oliver/Felicity/Digg are the heart and soul of the show. And tonight that dynamic just blew me away! When the show focuses on these three fighting the bad guys, there is just no going wrong. Felicity Smoak is a freaking national treasure. This young woman brings such a commanding presence to each and every scene she’s in. Her presence on the show is vital at this point. Stephen Amell, David Ramsey, and Emily Bett Rickards are like perfection together. Long live the romantic potential of Olicity! Now this is what chemistry looks like folks. It’s as natural as breathing. P.S. – Malcolm Merlyn is back, yo! This episode ROCKED MY WORLD. More please

• Dominator of destruction says:

I like your posts Trish but i think the Sara/Ollie scene on the island is what real chemistry is and they didn’t even need to talk 1cm apart from each other to achieve it lol

16. GildedRose says:

What an outstanding episode of Arrow. It had you on the edge of your seat through pretty much the whole episode. I love seeing Team Arrow (Oliver/Felicity/Diggle) in action together again. When Felicity came screeching in in the van, hit Isabel and sent her flying mid-anti-Felicity rant, I laughed and cheered. I really like what they’re doing with Felicity these last few episodes. She’s funny, smart, strong, sassy and just a touch of “mean streak” to her that makes her even more fun. Love that!

I think just about everything in this episode made me happy — Team Arrow, Quentin getting his groove back, the stunts and action — and then there was the Oliver/Felicity stuff. so unexpected and so amazingly excellent. When Oliver was down and out and kicking himself and Felicity gave that speech… wow! She’s such a determined thing and I love how she never lets Oliver forget that he’s stronger than he thinks and that he can, indeed, fight on.

Like so many others, I really thought they were going to kiss when she all but flung herself at him to hug him. They’re ridiculously awesome together.

I can’t wait for next week’s finale.

• I exclaimed so loudly at the van out of nowhere that the other people in the house came to see what was the matter. :P
      This was a very surprising episode. By the time I finally looked at the clock during a commercial break, I realized it was nearly over — it was all a blur.

17. Dude says:

Olicity fans are just out of control. It doesn’t matter how good an episode is or how much happens outside that small dynamic, it’ll always come down to “Omg Felicity had that good line!” Or “Omg did you see how Oliver looked at Felicity for a fraction of a second too long before he left? Totes meant to be!” Pretty sure 1000 teenage girls will take part in a mass suicide if they don’t end up together.

• Bender says:

They’re just as bad as the Cas/Dean bro love people

• Irene says:

My 34 year old body wishes I was a teenager, but I still love the Oliver and Felicity chemistry regardless.

• mary says:

Hahaha…am 44 and like you i wish be a teenager too, but no :( and I totally loved Miss Emily Bett Rickards in that scene, she made me feel each word of her speech, doing an excellent performance, emotional and breathless.
        I enjoyed almost all the show, of course a show doesnt have perfect for loving it.., and I love team Arrow, Diggle OMG, have to say that I love Digg and Felicity in each scene they are together, but my heart is with Oliver and Felicity…and how cant love villians with such a MR MALCOM MERLIN…Wednesday please.

• Briggs says:

If she has good moments, it’s okay if people recognize them. The very first thing most people keep referencing is the awesomeness that is Team Arrow 1.0, so it’s not all about Olicity. Besides which, the moment where she hit Isabel was epic. That woman deserved it for so many reasons, up to and including unceremoniously yanking QC out from under Oliver. I want to see what happens when Isabel realizes Slade is nutzo and she may join him soon enough.

I agree with you dude!

• wonderwall says:

Why people get criticized for loving an aspect of a show and actually expressing it is beyond me… And they’re not even all teenage girls! Go to IGN and see the top comment, obviously it’s not just the women who loves Felicity.

• anna says:

All shippers are like this though…really. I just recently discovered this about television fandom. I mean, I’ve liked couples together, but shippers see a show through shipping goggles and I have found it to be pretty biased towards the couple they’re rooting for. Sometimes it’s hard to believe we’re watching the same show–like in the case of Supernatural’s Dean and Castiel, which was already mentioned here. Those shippers can blow any romance poll out of the water. Olicity is nothing compared to Destiel.

• mary says:

Actually Dude, the arrow audience is more people of 20 up, teenagers are for TVD, I wonder is that whyI stopped watchining in their 1 season.
      But never mind, tje beauty of this show is for all audience age and thats why I think fits w the show….
      And yes I love watchingevery scene where Oliver and Felicity are together. No hate here, be kind:)

18. John NYC says:

Action filled ep with what looks like a lot of foreshadowing. Next week should be a major ride!

19. Androu Ska says:

I loved this episode. It was fast paced, exciting and surprising. Oliver and Felicity scene was the best… Emily was great in it… The finale is going to be epic I think….

20. EP says:

OH MY GOSH!!!!! The best episode ever!!! The action, the surprises and the character growth I saw tonight….fantastic. I even liked the Laurel seen with Sara, well done and touching. Great job Diggle!! And Oliver and Felicity….unbelievable (had my daughter and I in tears) . EBR absolutely your best seen yet, you hit it out of the ballpark!!! Thea was wonderful too…..well I could go on and on but I think you get the idea that, our family loved, loved, loved this episode and cannot wait till next Wednesday.

Okay, just have to say I am now a Olicity believer after that scene. Beautifully done with the hug and THE HAND ON HER BACK AND THE LIGHT REFLECTING IN THE BACKGROUND…BEAUTIFUL!!!!

• mary says:

Omg am a mother too, and my daughters started to watch this show for me because I liked at the begining then I rid on by the 4th ep S2, and they convinced me to watch it again by the 15 ep, finally I had been hooked since then. Ohhhh andwe are very different ages, 15, 20 and 40’s…just like that all Olicity here :)

21. Andy says:

I liked the episode but there is a huge plot hole staring me in the face. How does Sebastian take the cure from the table right in front of Slade and Isabel and casually walk it over to Oliver without anyone noticing?! Slade could see that Sebastian felt betrayed and for a character like Slade, who has been so smart this far, to be so careless with the one thing that can stop him… Can someone please explain that to me?

• God says:

The answer to that is life itself – SUSPEND YOUR BELIEFS and JUST ENJOY THE RIDE.

• No one can explain it to you. We were not shown it.

Given that Isabel Rochev seems to be EVERYWHERE and notice quite a bit, I too am perplexed as to how that happened.

• Lara says:

I would have expected to at least see Blood with some sort of injury. He can’t outrun them. I found it strange, but figured it ended up on editing floor.

22. Jason says:

Isn’t that Malcolm in the preview for the finale walking to the left of team arrow ?

• Karen MT says:

I think it’s backup… The League has shown up. I had to pause it because that was an awful lot of people behind Team Arrow, and I saw a lot of hooded people.

• John NYC says:

Nyssa uses a bow iirc and Sara did say she was going to visit “a friend”.

• John NYC says:

Yes, rewatched the closing scene and that’s definitely Nyssa al Ghul (the eyebrows are unmistakable) to The Canary’s immediate left. With a bunch of other hooded bow carrying people in the following ranks.

Slade is in for some right sledding.

23. Laurel highlights for the night:
    “Oliver… The tunnel’s collapsed.”
    “Sara, how can you be evil when your name’s so pretty.”
    [Shouting out the name of the masked vigilantes in public, multiple times]

• nate says:

saying not shouthing her name. besides they were in an alley. also in a city of OVER 500,000 people im pretty sure there’s more than 1 Sara

• Mike R. says:

Not to mention, everyone was more concerned about the army of super strong guys destroying the city rather than the two sister having a pep talk.

• Briggs says:

I’m sure the name was Nyssa’s idea, but an excellent point. Sara’s done so much good. It’s amazing how the ones who can bring us down the lowest… happen to be ourselves.

• Nicole says:

Lol. Laurel had some great lines…

• Toby says:

CANARY <3 Laurel did great! Laurel's scenes were amazing!

24. Mike R. says:

Finally Laurel was actually pretty darn great this episode, I mean Cassidy’s delivery still wasn’t perfect, but her scenes with Sara were a highlight, and whether you like it or not( I’m still iffy), Laurel still seems set to be the Black Canary, but hopefully Sara can continue rocking as the Canary. To be honest the entire episode was a highlight, not a dull moment, and it will be hard for the finale to top this, but I’m looking forward to it as well as what season 3 will bring. Crossing my fingers for Nightwing.

25. david says:

WOW! this show delivers on a weekly basis. Its going to be a long summer

26. Sparky says:

Loved tonight episode. Part of me was afraid that with the small budget that the CW gives them that a 2 part finale might drag the crap out of it but I have been proven very wrong. Everything about this episode was perfect. The whole look of the city burning and the team work between the 3 original members of the team and even Sara and Laurel was perfect. I love when shows bring in such brilliant actors like John Barrowman – he makes Thea seem less whiny. There’s no way that she shot him and I would love to see him stick around in whatever capacity next season. So Slade hasn’t answered the question yet about the other person that needs to die that Ollie loves. Didn’t Oliver constantly stare at the photo of Laurel in front of Slades when they were on the island? She seems like the obvious person that he wanted to kill. But at the same time they made such a big deal of Felicity and Oliver hugging tonight and her speech that she gave him it makes you wonder if they are saying that Felicity is going to be the one. But did Slade really know much about Felicity before this or did I miss something? Either way cant wait for next weeks episode but at the same time bumped that’s going to be it for 4 months. Love this show!!!!!

• Linda says:

I believe he thinks it’s Sara who Oliver loves. Shado died because he chose Sara over her.

• KT says:

I think it will be Felicity because we [the audience] are aware that Team Arrow’s phones, foundry, and mansion have been compromised by Slade. He hears their conversations and can see their interactions. Isabel is aware of their closeness as she worked with them, and she saw the hurt in Felicity’s eyes after Russia. Finally, if we go through Oliver’s track record since he returned from the island, he killed for Felicity. He literally walked away from what was supposed to be the most important thing in his life at the time [his mother's trial] and went to her without an ounce of hesitation. I think at this point, Slade was behind the Count and was baiting Oliver and Oliver blindly showed his cards to Slade. To me, Slade is fully aware of Sara, but he needed to know about the other two women in Oliver’s life; Laurel and Felicity. Isabel was staking Felicity at QC and Sebastian was dating/friends with Laurel. Isabel also seems to be a larger influence to Slade than Sebastian, especially after this episode. That is just my personal analysis on Slade taking Felicity. If he doesn’t take her then that is his own misfortune.

27. phuong says:

I love this episode! Not only were there really great Olicity moments but there were scennes where I start to see something great in Laurel. I like her scenes with Sara. I hope they don’t kill out Sara I love her so much

28. James D says:

this show should seriously get some Emmy love. I know that sounds ridiculous, but IMO it is deserving of it, from the acting to the writing to the direction this show is fantastic. I had a total holy S*** moment at the end there I never thought Thea would be capable of it, my guess is she shots the masked dude behind him but still well executed. Finale should turn some heads cant wait

29. anna says:

So…I’m a HUGE Emily Bett fan, and while I’ve always thought she was great in the role of Felicity but her dramatic chops were still developing…it’s one of those things I wouldn’t admit because I liked the actress so much, so I kept quiet about how unimpressed I was with her dramatic scenes–she isn’t bad, she just isn’t there yet (in my opinion). Until this episode. I was pleasantly blown away at how good she was when she gave him the pep talk this time around. My only tiny complaint is I would have loved to see more of Diggle kicking ass. I hope they revisit the Ravager-Diggle fight next week–and that Diggle takes her on and beats her without any help.
    And…I’m not a Laurel fan, but the Laurel-Sara relationship. Swoon. TOTAL FAN. Sell me THAT love story and I’ll stick around. Let both sisters leave Oliver in the dust. That smile Laurel had when she said “That’s the Canary.” I loved it. I ship those two. Not romantically, obviously, but the love between them is so much more interesting to me than either of their relationships with Oliver. On that note, I hope the person kidnapped is Thea…because really, she should be the person he loves most right now.
    Also, love the layers of villainy to Blood. If Malcolm really is dead, I’ll riot. He’s still the best villain Arrow’s got, and Thea being his daughter has so much potential.

• It can’t be Thea: Slade could have killed her and Moira at the same time, and there is ABSOLUTELY no reason why he should not have done so.

If they make Slade out to kill Thea, when he already had her in his grasp, I would truly find it hard to forgive the epically awful writing and lack of logic there.

So no, not Thea. He could have killed Laurel when he went to tell her Ollie was the Arrow … so not Laurel either. We’re running out of options, here.

Felicity or Sara.

• DarkDefender says:

And Sarah was with them on the island and Oliver chose her over Shadoe.. And that will be his final kill before Arrow takes him down. Sadly, I can’t see it happening any other way.

• ChicagoDan says:

Yep. Killing Sara completes the revenge. It’s the only way to finish it. I believe we’ll see the scene on the ship where Oliver believes that Sara dies, followed by Slade killing her for real. I hope I’m wrong, but I doubt it. It’s too bad because I’ve grown to really like CL, but I don’t see her surviving – especially after they: 1) had the reunion with Laurel; and 2) the whole “hero” speech/actions.

• DarkDefender says:

Also.. Won’t be Felicity.. Her backstory is coming in season 3.. And I doubt she’ll be a ghost, although I wouldn’t mind some new safer version of the Mirakuru turning HER into the new Black Canary. <—-<<- shockingly awesome, I'd say!

• Toby says:

I think Slade’s choice should be between Thea and Sarah.
        Slade knew Oliver was gonna pick her instead of his mom! Come on that’s obvious! Also for the Mayor’s plot. But she has been kidnapped twice, so for me: noThea.
        Sarah is the most likely to be kidnapped, he chose Sarah over Shado. Slade doesn’t know how much Oliver cares about Felicity. If authors want to please Olicity’s fans, by kidnapping Felicity, that’s pretty ridiculous! Not because he doesn’t care about her. Only because Slade can’t know that!

• wonderwall says:

Actually, he can. Isabel could’ve told him how much Felicity means to Oliver just by looking at them. Also, if Slade hid cameras inside the Queen mansion, who’s to say he didn’t hide any in the foundry? I mean he /was/ there just a few episodes ago. You give Slade very little credit for what he can dig up…

• Toby says:

I think if there were cameras inside “Arrow cave” Felicity would have fould them, or at least authors should have given us some hints! Plus I don’t think Slade listens to what Isabel says. He’s under the effect of Mirakuru, he follows only Shado! In my opinion, everything is possible, but this seems a little bit forced, while kidnapping Sarah is the most reasonable choice.

• Heidi says:

Unless Slade knows about Oliver’s love child. But, sadly, it’s probably Sara. Which really sux. I don’t see Laurel as BC unless she hits 24-Hour-Fitness daily for the next 10 years or so.

• anna says:

Actually, the writing for it being Felicity is there. The Count said there was someone who hated Oliver, and who bankrolled his operation. I’m assuming (and I could be wrong) that this is Slade. If it is, he would have taken note that Oliver hasn’t been killing. When Laurel was taken, it was Sara who killed the Dollmaker (I just don’t remember what she used, but I’m assuming it wasn’t an arrow, right?). When Felicity was taken by the Count, Oliver put three arrows in him. Not one, three. That speaks to the passion of the kill–it’s also his first kill in months, and he hasn’t killed since except Cyrus Gold. In Three Ghosts, at the end of Slade’s monologue, he says “corrupt the ones he loves,” and the camera pans to Felicity (there has still been no pay off for this, unless it was Isabel assuming they were in a relationship and sleeping with Oliver). When Slade attacked the Foundry, he would have seen Oliver grabbing Felicity and bringing her to safety (yes, because she’s the least capable, physically, but there is a pattern here). Then, in this episode, we see he’s been bugging her phone. So, if he takes Felicity, the breadcrumbs were definitely there…and I’m personally rooting for that scenario because taking Sara is too predictable. Plus, I’m more confident Oliver will save Felicity (because I don’t think they would get rid of EBR) but I’m not as confident the writers will let him save Sara (because there is no mention of Caity Lotz for next season)…and I love Sara so very, very much.

30. G. says:

Damn Thea! WTF?
    Also, Ms. Rochev: Felicity is right there, driving the van that just pasted you. :D :D

31. Lara says:

Loved the episode. I honestly thought it was the finale and my mood improved when I saw the previews for next week. lol I just want Slade to go! Great performances by everyone. Did anyone see the close up on Oliver’s hand when he was hugging Felicity? It was like he hesitated for a second and then went with it. I was glad to see Blood die, he was power hungry and made a deal with the devil.

32. Dominator of destruction says:

Sara being named ‘Canary’ and finally be recognized as heroic means she is so dead next week doesn’t it?I think I’m already crying i love Sara an unhealthy amount

• anna says:

I love Sara an unhealthy amount too. So I refuse to believe it’s Sara, especially since the show runners keep saying it’s unexpected…and come on, who DOESN’T expect it to be Sara? She’s everyone’s first choice. And I thought the same thing about Thea–it wouldn’t make sense, but I want it to be her because Blood was talking about the person he loved the most…and Thea is his sister who has no one left. I don’t *think* it’s Thea either…I just really don’t want it to be about Oliver’s love life again, so as illogical as it would be, Thea has my vote. Olicity shippers want it to be Felicity; Lauriver shippers want it to be Laurel; Sariver wants it to be Sara. I’m voting for Diggle or Thea. I wouldn’t place a bet on either of those two…but I guess I just want to press the pause button on Oliver Queen’s love life.

• Luke says:

Thea and Sara are the most likely to be kidnapped. But Thea has already twice! So my vote goes for Sarah! It would be ridiculous if Sade’s choice comes out to be Fel. Not because Oliver doesn’t care about her. Only because he can’t know!

33. John NYC says:

As a suggestion? Just because Slade wants to kill someone doesn’t mean he gets to kill that someone. Perhaps especially if he goes after Sara: Nyssa (that “friend” she went yo see?) would have something to say about that not to mention as The Canary remarked: she’ll be VERY hard to kill.

• DarkDefender says:

Very hard to kill = famous last words. R.I.P. Sarah.. I just hope they change thir mind about Laurel becoming the Canary (despite canon).

• brenna says:

I agree with you that just because Slade wants to kill one last person, doesn’t mean he will be successful. I personally don’t want him to win every time. It’s time for Oliver to win! He has enough personal loss already!!

34. DarkDefender says:

Say what you will about the AWESOMENESS that was this week’s episode, but Summer Glau? She is still a badass. That double sword kill of Sebastian Blood, was very River Tam v. The Reavers.

I can only imagine how they are gonna top all this in the Finale. Looks to be one helluva ride!

35. Pro says:

Every time I read Laurel/Katie Cassidy hate I really, really can’t help but roll my eyes. A lot of it sounds like hate just for the sake of hating which is unbelievably pointless. “Laurel was excellent but Cassidy’s delivery was awful” like… what?

Laurel was awesome this episode, and Katie Cassidy did an excellent job portraying her.

agree with you!

• wonderwall says:

I actually don’t see much hate in this column? Cassidy’s delivery for me could’ve been better for some of her lines, but that doesn’t mean they’re hating on her. Every actor/actress’ ability is always open for scrutiny, some of the criticisms may not be fair or just a manifestation of our dislike towards the actor/character, but that’s the world we live in. It’s the same for writers, directors, etc.
      If you think she’s doing an excellent job, that’s great! But understand that people view things differently and have different opinions. maybe then you would roll your eyes less :)

• 303303303 says:

People have right to hate or criticize. For me Laurel is really the weakest and Katie’s acting too. It’s not hate, it’s my opinion.

36. Peter says:

Anyone else expecting Malcolm and Thea to flee the city and Thea becomes a sort of antagonist next season? Assuming Malcolm isn’t dead (I’ll be stunned if he is) I can totally see Thea blaming Ollie for all the crap that’s happened. “You keeping secrets got mom killed!” and such. I mean I hope if they go that route they make her a bit less whiny as while I never really minded Thea, even if she gets training from her dad or whatever it might be hard to take seriously.

Also, trailer for the finale was awesome.

37. Karen says:

But Roy is definitely dressed up in a red hoody and mask in the trailer!!! Yea!
    Loved this episode, almost ran to read the recap so I didn’t worry too much. Fortunately, I am indoctrinating friends with season 1, so I will have Arrow all summer.
    Don’t forget, Oliver has a child for Slade to kill.

38. Mary says:

Amazing episode!! Laurel was the best! I really loved her scenes with Oliver ad Sarah <3 Felicity did great with Isabel! Ahahahahahahah!! Can't wait for season finale!

39. GreenArrow12 says:

This episode was great! I loved Laurel, I loved Felicity with the truck! But, strangely to say, i loved even more Merlyn! He was awesome! I hope he brings Thea out of town with him! I think when he showed up was the most amazing part of this episode, together with “Canary” :D Hopefully Sarah won’t die this season finale!! She understood how important she could be; the scene where she goes taking the child, with Quentin and Laurel outside waiting for her, remembered me of last season finale, with both of them in front of CNRI! Can’t wait to see season finale and to find out who Slade will kidnapp, and what’s up for Merlyn and Thea! :) GoLaurellllllllllllllll!!

40. Blackfel says:

I thought Colton Haynes’ acting was a little stiff in this episode.

41. 303303303 says:

I don’t want Sara to die… :(

42. Pat says:

Another week of me jumping out of my seat! I am not sure how I will be able to handle next week’s finale???? This show has picked up so much steam and that is a very good thing. Now for some thoughts on last nights episode. Sara and Laurel had touching scenes together but I too wonder if Laurel knowing who Sara is now and she confirmed it does this mean the end for Sara next week? I do not think that Thea shot Merlyn. It was to obvious when they never panned out to see where the bullets went. Also, the look on Isabel’s face when Slade was standing by the window looking out at the city and saying all of this was for Shado, she looked quite envious. I am glade that Lance is a Detective again, heck he should be given something higher. Felicity was great last night but I am concerned that Isabel is gunning for her, because of what she said to Diggle when they were fighting. Oliver/Arrow is starting to get his “A” game back. So next week will be the endgame and I cannot wait and I also hope my heart will be able to take it!

43. JJ says:

Laurel!!!!! I appreciate so much how developed she is!! Everything she did was amazing, and what about her admiration toward her sister becoming a hero? Amazing! Can’t wait to see what season finale brings for her!

44. mary says:

For once I loved KC acting, that scene with Sara was great and I wish show would focus on this relationship and stop with freaking love triangle. I’m afraid Sara is going to die next week and if this happens producers are idiots. She was so well received and there’s so much backstory they can explore (LoA) that I can’t believe they are willing to kill her just so they can have Laurel become BC.

45. kevin28033 says:

All these Laurel-Haters are getting on my nerves. She’s not the most interesting character on the show, but she also doesn’t deserve to be hated that much. They are people here who are complain about every line she says or how she looks. Nobody would complain if Felicity was the one who said “Go, save the City”. And i love Felicity, but i don’t want her to be with Oliver. They are much better as Friends.

46. JDC says:

I wish fans would get off this Oliver/Felicity kick. I really hope the writers don’t go the route of making them romantic. Their relationship works just fine the way it is employer/employee. Frankly, I don’t think Oliver has shown enough character growth to get involve with anyone (HELLO…sleeping with Sara again), especially someone like Felicity who at times seems to still have stars in her eyes and borders on the line of being very naïve to me. The dynamics between Oliver/Diggle/Felicity works perfect as is. I find that I enjoy shows so much more when I don’t ship any couple. And for crying out loud, what’s with the Laurel hate. I really don’t enjoy reading the comments due to all the venomous hate for her character.

47. KT says:

I adored this episode. I was so stoked with Oliver/Felicity! Raw chemistry is something hard to come by and this is one of two couples on TV that have it. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. Ready for next week!

48. kevin28033 says:

I think Slade will kidnap Felicity. At 0:18 of the extended promo they show Felicity and she looks kinda scared and it seems like there is someone behind her. And there is also a scene with Sara and her “girlfriend” and it looks like they are going to kill Isabel.

49. Mikael says:

Felicity killed it with her speech to Oliver. It made Laurel’s look even worse than they already were. I’m not even an “Olicity shipper.” I actually prefer Oliver with Sara, and I will be gutted if Slade kills Sara as his ultimate revenge. Can’t there be 2 Canaries?? Sara could train Laurel. Laurel actually has chemistry with Sara and Quentin; they should focus on that. If they kill off Sara, the Laurel-haters will go ballistic.

50. Claire says:

Last night’s episode was AMAZING! Just front to back action, but ALSO character development. Balanced, I LIKE balance.
    What worked for me of course, is that it was all about Team Arrow (Oliver/Felicity/Diggle). Their team work and dynamic are always spot on. Diggle, I love that man, and he was everywhere — he needs more dialogue, but still just great!
    I LOVE Felicity being out in the field! She has so many layers to explore. From fun in taking out Ravager mid sentence, to resolute and assertive when giving that powerful pick-me-up speech to Oliver. That scene rocked the house and was hands down A+ work — truly set him on the right path again. I love watching all the different sides to her surface depending on the scene. Emily Bett Rickards does such an amazing job. I nominate her for Performer of the week! :)
    So glad to see the return of Sara and her realizing she can be and IS a hero. She IS the Canary and WILL BE the Black Canary. I just can’t see another route taken honestly. She works really well within the dynamics as an extension of Team Arrow.
    The Felicity/Oliver moments that kept popping up were wonderful. These two and their chemistry are a force to be reckoned with. I look forward to more, I just wish the EPs would stop messing with viewers. They can do slow burn, and have the romance on the side (not front and center like they have been doing), just stop with the triangles and rectangles. It’s NOT endearing. I think that is what worked so well about the first half of S2 — action, more action, character development with a little Olicity on the side.
    Overall what a great episode! It has me very excited for the Season Finale and really anytime we get Team Arrow (Oliver/Felicity/Diggle) on screen is a good time!

• Claire says:

Matt! I just saw that EBR WILL BE at the Upfronts! YAY!

• psac says:

There is no way I could take Laurel as the Black Canary seriously at all. If they kill of Sara (which I really hope they don’t), they need to let the costume die with her. I’m not a fan of the comics, either, I just can’t buy Laurel fighting bad guys unless they make another five year jump forward or something like that.