The Mentalist Finale First Look: Will Jane and Lisbon Literally Ride Off Into the Sunset?

Might a certain avid fanbase get its happy ending?

CBS has released photos from The Mentalist‘s Season 6 finale, airing May 18, and there’s much Jane, much Lisbon and much of them together. And zero Pike.

RELATED | May Sweeps Scoopapalooza: 99+ Spoilers on Your Favorite Series’ Season-Ending Episodes

In the yet-to-be-renewed procedural’s finale, titled “Blue Bird,” a new lead in a cold case requires Lisbon to delay her plans to leave for Washington, D.C. with Agent Pike, offering Jane time to finally come to terms with his feelings for her and decide on a course of action.

I sense a bit of angst in a couple of the photos below — that is, when not distracted by Teresa’s wowzers dress. (Between this and Emma Swan’s red number, it’s been a good day.) And could that final slide be from the final scene of the season/possibly series…? UPDATED to add two new “splashy” photos.

1. So excited!!! Thanks for the pics, Matt! And what is Robin Tunney, oh my God!

2. Gaelle says:

Avid fanbase here *waves* Thank you for posting this. And uh, wow, Lisbon. Wow, Jane’s face. This is going to be emotional…

• DarkDefender says:

Bestill my shipper heart. I hope it has an emotional impact (in a good way) and makes CBS or another network want to pick it up.. TNT.. Do ya feel me?

3. zaza says:

Oh man, Simon Baker just kills me with the depth of emotion he can convey with just his facial expressions! And these last few episodes have been so amazing for this here shipper! On a side note, I like how they are dressing Lisbon as a girl more in this season. Those black pantsuits were a bit tired.

4. enri says:

Thank you so much! There will be tears galore in the fandom. Hoping we get one more season.

5. Bonnie Maynes says:

The Mentalist is the series on TV. The fandom is huge. This is going to be very emotion episode. I hope Jane and Lisbon let their true feelings be known. Please renew.

6. Andrew Hass says:

I do think Patrick and Lisbon will get together in the finale.Then if the series ends they are together and the couple’s fans can be happy.On the other hand if the series returns next season we can see them adjusting to becoming a couple.while still working together.

• Ori says:

I think you are right. I can’t see Mentalist being Mentalist without Lisbon. So if there’s any plans of continuing this somewhere (someone please pick up 7th season), Lisbon must change her mind somehow.

7. Ori says:

They don’t need to get together in this episode, Lisbon just need to stay and it’s already a huge win for everyone.

Angsty pictures aside, just look at how happy they both look – way more happy then than have looked for episodes! If Lisbon is really choosing what makes her happy she would stay in the end.

8. macchief says:

The finale slide is probably them either arriving at wherever they have to be for the case or leaving to conduct an interview. As much as I would like it to mean that Jane and Lisbon will be together at the end, something is telling me that it probably doesn’t mean that.

Pike is probably not in any photos because he’s either already in Washington or back in Austin packing, since Jane and Lisbon seem to be out of town in most of those photos.

9. Danny says:

Agent Lisbon, YOWZA! *-* Also, Jane crying breaks my heart. You can do it, Jane!

10. J says:

Thanks, Matt for the pics! I hope for a happy ending for these two and a season seven for the fans and the cast/crew.

11. VB says:

Wowzers is right! Hot!

Hope it gets renewed but I know the chance of realization is slim.

Thanks for these pictures, Matt. Looking forward to seeing the episode and Robin Tunney in that dress.

12. CHH says:

I am going to get a lot of flack for this but for the whole run of the series neither Jane or Lisbon has had a normal physical relationship. Are they both asexual or what? They are more like brother and sister at this point. Patrick Jane has never lived in a normal apartment or house either since his family’s death. I am all for Lisbon taking off with Pike. He is the best thing that has ever happened to her. Patrick is entertaining but not boyfriend or husband material. Kimbal Cho’s character needs to get a sex life also.

13. Thanks so much for the article and the pics! Really can’t wait for the finale but I also have a sad feeling, because this could be our very last Episode.:( I still hope any network will pick up my fave Show.

14. Cara says:

This show seriously needs to return back next season! If they manage to write better cases for Jane, Lisbon and and the FBI team, and of course a bad buy better than RJ, the show can be much entertaining with Jane and Lisbon being a couple now.

15. DiverKlein says:

Putting them together at the very end would be the epitome of shark jumping. There’s never been anything at all between them in that sense. They care for each other obviously, but there’s been nothing of a will they wont they nonsense

16. dman6015 says:

If the “fandom” is so huge for this show, why is CBS going to cancel it? The ratings this year would indicate the “fandom” isn’t watching like they used to watch.

17. Margaret says:

I definitely want the two of them together. Their relationship would be fun and playful. They would always keep each other interested!

18. Hazel says:

Just love The Mentalist. Hoping there is a Happy ending to this series, and especially hope they do make a Series 7/

19. Luis says:

I think Jane and Lisbon together would mark the end of the series – perhaps producers are thinking that’s what’s coming and it’s time for the happy ending. They belong together, but their working relationship has been so odd for so long neither one has been able to process any other feelings. It would be nice to see the two of them find each other before riding off into the sunset.

As for picture #6 – in the words of the immortal Ralph Kramden – “Homina, homina, homina!”

• Margaret says:

I wouldn’t agree their relationship has been odd. They have been developing a relationship involving deep bonds of trust over a period of 6 years and it is obvious that they have deep feelings for one another

• Luis says:

Their work relationship, even for TV, was out of the ordinary. Jane’s obsessive pursuit of Red John made it impossible for him to pursue a serious romantic relationship, despite the fact that he clearly cared for Lisbon. The Red John case was an obvious red flag for Lisbon, over and above all the other red flags Jane presented. With the RJ case resolved, its finally possible for Jane and Lisbon to confront their feelings for each other. Whether that means they end up together or not.

20. I love this show if CBS cancels it I will follow it to another network there is so much more they can do with the show.The Sunday night ruined this show because you never knew what time it would come on.People who work can’t sit up past 12 am to watch it.I love Robin and Simon they make a great team.If they was going to cancel the show then they should had left it alone and not moved it to TX and the FBI.It still has a strong fan base there are millions of older people who watch show that aren’t counted not to mention the world wide fans that watch show I think CBS is making a huge mistake they made major changes that needed time to work out and for the viewers get use to.

• Gretta says:

I love this show too and I cannot understand why CBS cancels quality shows in favor of garbage like Unforgettable. The Mentalist is compelling and the actors can ACT, unlike the other show I mentioned. I suppose it all comes down to $$$. Shame on you CBS.

21. Heathers says:

I haven’t watched for two years. Lisbon strikes me as a lesbian. Look at the way she walks and carries herself. Not a good match for Jane.

22. krystol says:

although jane and Lisbon works together very well,i still don’t think he will tell her how he feels about her.

23. cara says:

Wow go Lisbon!!! Punch him. Water is not enough!!!!

24. Laura C says:

I was rather hoping Lisbon would disappear with the other guy, never liked her paired with Jane. I haven’t cared for her character since the beginning.

25. Katie says:

I am sad that this show is likely ending. But I feel like if they had played the relationship card a little more this season, and had it not been on a Sunday it would have picked up or at least maintained its viewers.

I hope we get some type of closure between them… And one more season to let it play out some.

26. macchief says:

The two new photos make me think even more that Jane and Lisbon won’t end up together.

27. Ori says:

Oh is that Cho sitting in front of Jane there? Maybe he can talk some sense into Jane?

28. stepf says:

I would suspect the yowza dress scene is a con…it looks like Janes sitting with another person when she walks away.
    To me it would be the perfect way to end with them together…or at least with her staying in Texas.

• macchief says:

It looks like they were sitting with Cho.

I don’t think Jane and Lisbon are going to end up together, to me that scene were Lisbon throws water in Jane’s face and leaves is set up to have her realize that she wants to be with Pike. And to me the scene were Jane is standing outside a door looking sad makes me think that he goes to Lisbon’s room after whatever happens to apoligize and overhears Lisbon talking to Pike about how she can’t wait to leave with him for DC because she doesn’t want to be around Jane anymore.

29. Judge Amy Gray says:

A note for CBS: please cancel this show. I’m ready to scream if I hear Red John one more time.

• Tiger Lily says:

Where have you been? Red John has been dead and gone for quite a while now!

• Harry Gordon says:

Detective shows lose me when the lead character gets away with murder. Jane murdered Red John with his bare hands, and it was not self defense. In The Closer and in NCIS, suspects that could not be convicted were delivered to their gangs by Brenda and Gibbs, where the suspect’s murder was virtually certain. In Creative Affairs, Annie killed the villain in cold blood, apparently an authorized CIA assassination.

Our laws correctly do not allow personal executions, revenge killings. Unfortunately we still have the death penalty in many states, which sets the example. If the state can kill a “bad guy,” then why shouldn’t I? “He deserved it” is the excuse for many murders. Most modern nations recognize this and no longer have the death penalty.

30. Rich Abey says:

Lisbon..looking GOOD! but then she always looks good. Is Jane confessing his true feelings to Lisbon the reason she throws water in his face? Hope so. Excited for the finale!

31. Laura-Belle says:

I would like to see Jane with a love interest, but I don’t think it should be Lisbon. She should go with Pike. I would LOVE to see Dwayne and Van Pelt in the finale! Hope this show is renewed. It’s one of my favs!

32. Tiger Lily says:

Sometimes Lisbon is incredibly abusive towards Jane. That pic with her tossing water in his face (in public, no less!) is a case in point. She bullies him relentlessly in response to him just doing his Jane thing of solving crimes his way. What she needs is for him to throw her up against a wall and overpower her with the steamy sex she so clearly has lacked! And since he knows her so well, he should be able to provide her with one, rockin’ time – before she goes off to Washington and settles for conventional boring.

• I have seen Simon in Sex 101 he sure could handle it I be in heaven if he threw me against the wall and had wild sex,,,,wink,,,,,,oops I better behave myself I know he is a devoted family man but he is so hot and sexy and he doesn’t realize it thats what makes him so adorable.Calm down kidding I would never date someone that young just laughing and having fun.

33. charles says:

Really hoping that the Mentalist gets renewed or picked up by another network. It is just too good not to continue.

34. Dr. Tom Rider says:

How is this for an ending. Lisbon and Jane get married. Lisbon has a baby. Jane comes home from work, Lisbon and the baby are dead, and the Red John face in blood is on the wall. Series goes on. Is that sick enough for you?

• Matic says:

Hahahaha, that was awesome man. I’d hate it if something like that actually happened but but I have to give you credit for coming up with something like that.

35. Carolee says:

I think Theresa Lisban said something to Patrick Jane about him giving her answer if he cares for her leaving for Washington or not and he must of said something sarcastic.Therefore she sent water in his face.I can not wait to find out.

36. joansenick says:

Thanks for the best ending for the future I’m so happy! !!!!!! Happy endings are so rare

• Linda Cook says:

The ending and the shows all the way through have been awesome. I am so glad Lisbon and Jane opened up. Gosh, Simon can look so sad, so hurt and can play any type of emotion. He is great. I loved that show.
      comment by Linda

37. emel says:

They are going to be a good couple. Please go on this say. H

38. Deb says:

Finale was EXCELLENT!!!!!! Come back 1 more season…let them get married….don’t kill anybody off…just let it be a GREAT ending in Season 7.You can still write a GREAT season that is exciting and still let them go off into the sunset together.Let Pike be jealous and cause problems….that door was already opened by Jane asking if Pike would understand.Ya know…let Pike stalk them…create a storyline around a jealous rage…but in the end…they are together.We have enjoyed it being on Sundays..

39. Jonathan Grosskopf says:

Nearly as good as Moonlighting! Now that they are an item, maybe we can see some real character development and some top class plots. Maybe they can become a spin off show Jane & Lisbon. Why do they call each other by their surnames and not as very close friends would do ?