Starz Renews Da Vinci's Demons for Season 3

da-vincis-demons-renewedLeonardo da Vinci’s tale is far from over.

Starz has picked up Da Vinci’s Demons for Season 3, the network announced Tuesday.

RELATED | Your May Finales Calendar: What’s Ending When?

John Shiban (Hell on Wheels, Breaking Ba) will join the series as its new showrunner, while creator David S. Goyer will continue to serve as executive producer.

“We’re excited to continue Leonardo da Vinci’s adventures with a third season of Da Vinci’s Demons with John Shiban joining the ranks as executive producer and showrunner,” said Carmi Zlotnik, managing director of Starz, in a statement. “David S. Goyer’s vision of da Vinci’s journey continues to entertain fans, taking them deeper into the world of Da Vinci’s Demons where there is still much more story to tell.”

Season 2 of Da Vinci’s Demons currently airs Saturdays at 9/8c.

TVLine’s Cable Renewal Scorecard has been updated to reflect the news.

1. CBWBDK1 says:

YES!! I love this show!!!

2. CBWBDK1 says:

I hope John Shiban doesn’t ruin it.

3. H says:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo this show is insulting, it should have never seen the light of day!

• Josh says:

Seriously. Goyer’s “vision” is deeply backward and disturbing. Somehow a man who had numerous relationships with men becomes the atypical heterosexual male anti-hero. Oh yes in season 1 they throw that bone about him MAYBE being with a man before but come off of it…It’s a joke.

• Zayne says:

I think you need to come off it. If the fact that Leo was most likely gay is the most interesting thing about him to you, then this show wasn’t for you in the first place. His sexuality matters so little to whether or not this show is good. I’m pretty sure Leo also didn’t endure The Last Crusade like trials to obtain a mystical artifact named The Book of Leaves.

It’s loose historical fiction.

• Geo says:

Yeah, Goyer’s next series can be about how Harriet Tubman and Sojourner Truth were white debutantes. They can wear lots of ball gowns, drink mint julips on the porch of their magnificent homes, and be played by Blake Lively and Leighton Meester. Because why should their actual race matter? It’s all loose historical fiction, right?

• Ian says:

Its going to be offensive for a lot of people. It just is, so you saying come off it is pretty insensitive. Are gay people or people who wouldnt have minded a gay protagonist because of who the character is supposed to be based on, are all those people supposed to just not be bothered by Da Vinci being depicted as a lothario? This show has also killed off all of its secondary black characters. How is that not offensive?
          Whatever. Its Starz’s decision to renew this crap for a second season with the show’s not-great ratings, its their money, so good for them.

4. JWB says:

I’m shocked. I thought the show was over after this season. Magic City and Boss didn’t get a third season and they are vastly superior shows.

However,I do enjoy Da Vinci’s demons but the first season was more entertaining. They moved the show away from Florence and I think that was a mistake.

• Zayne says:

I would have agreed with you a couple weeks ago, because I thought the 2-3 episodes after the premiere were pretty weak but these last 2-3 have been awesome in my opinion.

• butmadnorth says:

The Matt Fraction penned ep was fantastic. Unfortunately, it highlighted that last week’s ep was just okay. I was hoping for a renewal though, the show is fun and I love the score Bear McCreary creates for it.

• I totally agree with you. They built up an alluring story in Florence in season 1, and then they took that away from us… Season 2 was sloppy and confusing to me .. I stopped watching it after the second episode.

5. John Paul Jones says:

I’m happy because this means a third season full of Bear McCreary’s awesome music.

6. Honestly while a wasn’t a fan at first of Season 1, it had a lot of potential which I believed Season 2 will deliver. Sadly it didn’t happen. I’m honestly hoping for they to drop the Book of Leaves/ Who’s Leonardo Mother? storyline by the end of this season.

7. MTMSLG says:

Dreadful show. Cheap production, bad acting and ridiculous story-lines. And could someone please tell me what this schlock has to do with Leonardo Da Vinci?

8. name says:

This is one of the best shows on tv right now it has the pirfact ballence of action droma and suspence is shot masterfully and doesnt wast to much of its budget on horces iv never missed an epasode the suspence is played out just right and the animated effects to show the michanicks of leos mynd are brethtaking i hope this show gets 7 seasons and a movie!!!!
    (sry about the spelling english issnt my first language)

9. Roger MacDonald-Evoy says:

I watch this for the same reason my kids watch “Moonshiners”, I simply can’t believe that anything this stupid is on television and is at all associated with the word “history”. Yes I know that word is used in “Historical Fiction” but you can take that way too far and this show does. Seven foot high corn in Pre-Columbian Peru, we didn’t have that here in the US in 1860. I could go on forever. And the plot use of his inventions, sorry but most of them have been tried and don’t work worth – a, you know what.

10. Stevoe says:

Davinci’s demons and the first season are great..however the endings are horrible , especially the finalies. I understand they want coming back for more but on the finales the viewers should get just a lil more closure. .we have to wait a whole year just to finish where it left off. At a crucial time in the series. I must say this is one of my favorite programs but I think they should stop teasing the viewers with those kind of endings and finales.

• Joseph says:

I absolutely agree! I love the show and I believe that Tom Riley has done a superb job of acting the part of such a genius. The way the show portrays how his mind works in certain situations to solve different problems with his one of a kind ingenuity and how he is driven by his “demons” if you will is very exciting to watch. I am very disappointed to see all of the negative feedback from some people on this site. They all either have a problem with the fact that hes not gay enough or they dont like how the writers of the show have skewed from the actual hard facts that we know about that time in history and his role in it to an extremely more interesting and entertaining version of what his earlier life may have been like. Im sorry but you all must be the same people who cant enjoy any movie or tv show that doesnt follow the rules of physics or any science fiction period. Its ENTERTAINMENT. Solely written to ENTERTAIN. It is not a historical biography of leonardos life. And even if it was supposed to be. which it is not, im sure you would have some ridiculous rant or problem with how some situation or portrayal has been produced or acted out. If you dont like it, change the channel. I honestly hope that the writing improves only in one area. The way they love to leave the audience hanging on a thread constantly is nerve racking. I agree that we need more closure in certain situations, ESPECIALLY on a season finale. I hope this show goes on for a long time. Dont get too caught up in the height of the corn in some foreign land in a specific time in history or any other absurd nitpicky disputable facts. Honestly if your so caught up in how the height of the corn in a scene that didnt even last long that you cant enjoy the show and be entertained by its cleverness and freedom to create a fantastical world then just do yourself a favor and just watch the history channel and cancel all of your other stations. Even, not only even, but especially any news or media stations because believe me. What you think is the truth about what is going on in the world is only but a fraction. Most of todays media is influences such as politics are. By money and kickbacks. But anyways. Im sorry he isnt gay enough for you or that the lands he travels to have corn that is too big for your mind to comprehend or that for some reason you think that all the black antagonists have been killed off. Ive got an answer for the last one. Last time I looked, Carlo was very black and is a key figure in the story. If its not about race its about sexuality or historical accurateness. Im sure you know that the movie Gladiator with Russell Crowe was not a real story of an actual man. But it was a great movie and had a great story to it. people who take the world or themselves too seriously to even enjoy the little things will miss out on the most the world has to offer. Free yourself from the chains you have created that bind you and blind you to the beauty of the freedom of creativity. This is simply a creatively written show about a very creative individual. Creativity is what drives the world to become a better place. It solves problems, it creates questions that have never been asked only to help you to discover what lies beneath. I hope I did not offend anyone. I am just saying lighten up… Its just a show. An awesome one at that!!!!!!

• Steve says:

What?!? You are telling me that Gladiator was not a true story? Or that everything that happened in this show did not happen? Next thing your going to tell me that the story of Titanic was not true and that Jack never existed?!?! TV and movies don’t lie to us!!! They can only tell us the truth and be historicaly accurate. Just like they can’t put anything on the internet that is not true. Creativity that’s only for made up stuff like scifi movies. Not real stuff like this show or pro-wrestling. How dare you say that we are bound in chains that we have created. I hope by now you can tell that I am totally exagerating. I totally agree with what you said and applaud you for your wording of it. Too many people are so stuck in their PC worlds that they can’t just sit back and enjoy a good thing.

• daldalita says:

Just don’t watch it if you don’t like it.
          It’s beauty is reserved for the ones who could appreciate it. It is a masterpiece of thought .

11. jonathan says:

the second best tv show ever

12. sheri says:

I think its one of the best show on tv, up there with Game of thrones. Very well made and a great story line. Im excited to begin season 3. How long do we have to wait?

13. I love Da Vinci’s Demons. It is so fanciful and imaginative filled with exciting imagery. It is a real break from the dull reality shows so prevalent on TV now. I cannot thank the producers of this show enough. It is a much needed boost in entertainment!