Salem Renewed for Season 2 at WGN America

Salem_ShaneWestThe witches of Salem must’ve cast a spell on WGN America, because the network on Monday renewed the spooky series for a second season.

The period drama, WGN America’s first original, scripted drama, received a 13-episode Season 2 slated to air in 2015.

RELATED | Your May Finales Calendar: What’s Ending When?

Salem‘s premiere drew 1.5 million total viewers, 650,000 of them in the coveted 18-34 demo, and earned the prestige of being the network’s most-watched telecast in seven years.

“[Co-creators/executive producers] Brannon Braga, Adam Simon, the talented cast and our great partners at Fox 21 have opened up an intriguing world that has captivated viewers,” Matt Cherniss, WGN America/Tribune Studios president and general manger, said in a statement. “We look forward to bringing more great storytelling, scares and surprises to viewers as the saga unfolds.”

The enchanting drama’s inaugural season airs Sundays at 10/9c.

TVLine’s Cable Renewal Scorecard has been updated to reflect the news.

1. Roger says:

2. johnhelvete says:

I know not every single new show on cable is doing 13 episodes a season, but I don’t understand why some of the new channels don’t try to differentiate themselves by doing 12 episodes or even a totally bizarre number like 11.

3. DL says:

Sweet! The first episode was good, if a little strange, but in the subsequent two the show has found solid footing. Such a great cast, too.

4. Spoiler Junkie says:

Great news. I am loving the dark and creepy nature of the show.

5. Jace says:

What’s the general consensus on this? With some exceptions, i’ve given up watching a show in its first season, and since Season 2 is announced, i’d like to know how well this one is regarded/

• e says:

i agree with this! with the rate that shows have been getting cancelled, i don’t even bother until i know at least a second season is confirmed… there are exceptions, but it’s safer to have this approach!

• CGS says:

Good thing everyone is not like that or there wouldn’t be any shows that ever got a second season…

I watch what looks good and what I think will please me, if it pleases me for 8 episodes before getting canceled that’s better than not having seen it at all. :)

• Tatharnio says:

I’d like to amend this: “Good thing every Nielsen family is not like that”. My personal viewing habits make ZERO difference to the ratings. As do yours. Unless you are one of the random sample of families that contribute to the ratings, then you literally have zero effect on what a show’s ratings are. Rather than using the outmoded Nielsen system exclusively, networks need to take into account more factors including iTunes downloads, HULU/Netflix views, and how well a show trends on social networking especially during the first run broadcasts. Wouldn’t advertisers be much more interested in those hard numbers rather then what SAMPLE of the population watches?

Personally I find many shows based on the buzz generated on social networks/friend recommendations over their ratings numbers.

• Jake says:

The real problem here is the Nielsen is an outdated system. The whole ratings system needs to be revamped.

• mary says:

Unless it’s some kind of mystery. Ugh… I hate when they pull the plug on those.

• Katie_Mead says:

How is it regarded? As far as I can tell, the majority of people trying it out like what they see. I like it so far, and while it won’t be for everyone (it can occasionally be a little disturbing, and veers away from the traditional assumptions about witches & finders in Salem), it is definitely worth trying out to see whether it is or is not something you would like watching yourself.

6. peg says:

Awesome! I love this show!

7. Pat says:

Good news for this show. I have been watching it and I must say, it is definitely not your run of the mill Salem witch stories. This show is downright creepy and it keeps drawing me back to see the next episode.

8. Joey Padron says:

Happy show got renewed for season 2! Season 1 has been good so far.

9. Lisa says:

So excited yet so mad I don’t get this channel. Waiting for the DVD

10. qj201 says:

Good numbers given that a good chunk of the US market doesn’t even get the channel. I’ve been watching through alternate means.

• CGS says:

Comcast offers episodes online through their website despite not having the channel and it’s on Hulu, so I’m glad they are making it easier for people to watch. Personally I just buy it on Google Play to watch via Chromecast, I’ve seen the first two episodes enough already introducing the show to friends it has kind of paid for itself.

• Lola says:

Thank you!!! I searched for it on hulu after it first aired but couldn’t find it so I gave up. Great to know it’s there!

11. Evan says:

The only bad thing anyone could say about this show is that the set design leaves a little to be desired!

12. Phantom says:

I really like this show. It is so different from all the cop, lawyer, medical and reality shows that are on all the other channels. Its so nice to have something different to watch and with such good acting and storylines also. Glad it is renewed.

13. Stephanie says:

Love this show!! Great story lines and acting!!

14. ebony says:

Loving this show..is creepy and it very suspenseful

15. Kristy says:

I love this show!! I wait all week for the new episodes! I’m so glad it’s getting a second season!!!

16. Gary (NJ) says:

Salem has become one of my favorite shows. And I find myself rooting for the witches because the puritans were so damn rotten and hypocritical.

17. Marybeth says:

Just now it said three finial episodes I thought it was renewed for a 2nd season so why is it saying Final 3?

18. Cindy austino says:

My husband and I very much enjoy Salem and we are happy to see a season 2 will continue. Salem is a very different and unique show that we both like very much!

19. Stephanie says:

I LOVE this show! It’s totally unique and different. I wait for the new shows. If it cancelled we would all boycott in this house 😊

20. Judie says:

I was so glad to hear this. I love this show. I have to watch it On Demand since I don’t get this station on Comcast. Am anxiously awaiting Season 2… :)

21. Millie says:

YES for season 2. I am obsess with this show. I love anything having to do with witch trails or fantasy. This show is so unique and different from the shows you see today. The cast is amazing. The story line is awesome. This show always has me surprised with everyone and there secrets, you never know what to expect. This show rocks!

22. brandon says:

Please don’t make me wait that long g or season 2 of Salem …just watched the finale and I can’t wait to see the direction the shoe goes in….they should Def make this a 15 to 22 episode season

23. I am so flipping stoked that this wonderful, quite original series has been re-newed for a 2nd season. Shane West had just be part of it… just sayin.

24. Awesome! I hate that I have to wait till next year.

25. Drew says:

Just finished watching the final this morning, and I love it. Certainly one of the better shows knocking around these days. For me personally, Salem is up there with ‘Hannibal’, and ‘Orange is the New Black’ (I do find the bat-sh*t crazy, ‘Hemlock Grove’ a guilty pleasure).
    Mature, intelligent, violent, and sexy. What more could you want?

26. Gregory says:

We really enjoyed this series looking forward to Season 2

27. djn71 says:

I really love this show, it deserves more attention than it is getting

28. Omg.. My life is saved