Once Upon a Time Recap: Everything Is Oz-some

SUNNY MABREY, REBECCA MADER, MATREYA SCARRWENERThis Sunday on ABC’s Once Upon a Time, we learned how a girl from Kansas helped shape Zelena’s destiny, while in Storybrooke the arrival of Baby Charming gave birth to new slew of twists.

RELATED | May Sweeps Scoopapalooza: 99+ Spoilers on 23 Series’ Season-Ending Episodes

IN THE OZ THAT WAS…. | Shortly after Zelena revealed the Wizard for what he was (and then turned him into a flying monkey), Glinda commends Greenie on her work and invites her to claim a seat alongside her real sisters, at the Table of Witches With Ample Cleavage. The witches of North, South and East represent wisdom, love and courage (brain! heart! the nerve!), while Zelena would stand for (snicker) innocence. It is explained that per the Book of Records (Hey, do you have the Beatles’ White Album?), it was prophesied that a sorceress from the West would arrive via cyclone to join them.

Alas, when another twister touches down in Oz and deposits a resilient ragamuffin named Dorothy, Zelena grows envious of the Gale girl — and then reads in the Book of Records that the prophesied sorceress would vanquish the greatest evil known to Oz and in doing so claim a seat at the witches’ table. Re-greened, Zelena dupes Dorothy into thinking she’s been melted by a pail of water (where did the kid get such a silly idea?!), and then poses as the Wizard to send Dorothy home by way of sparkly slippers, thus ridding her of her only adversary. Glinda vows to find a new candidate to fulfill the prophecy, but gets poofed away to the Enchanted Forest before she can do so.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time‘s Ginnifer Goodwin Teasesa ‘Significant’ Baby Naming, Season 3′s Secret Final Scene

IN STORYBROOKE…. | With Snow in labor, Zelena sets up a pentagram-y thing giant compass on the floor of a barn, with Charming’s hilt, Gold’s golden brain and Regina’s heart placed at three of the four edges. When Emma goes to run interference/”take the fight to Zelena,” the Wicked Witch lobs Hook into a tank of water, forcing Emma to fish him out and employ mouth-to-mouth resuscitation — thus triggering the “lips curse” and zapping away her magic. Zelena then storms the hospital, swatting away Robin Hood, his merry men, Belle and Regina, “freezing” Charming and then snatching away their freshly born baby boy. (Oh: It’s a boy!) With Emma’s light magic neutralized, what now?

Henry, Emma and Robin Hood believe that Regina has it within her — heart or not — to bust out some light magic of her own. (“You’re a hero now, and defeating bad guys is what heroes do,” Henry cheers.) So they storm the barn and, after a few hiccups and beat-downs, Regina declares, “I’m changing” as her hands glow white, and then she zaps Zelena down. “I make my own destiny,” she boasts as she rips off Zelena’s powerful pendant. But when Rumple goes in to kill his wicked captor, dagger-wielding Regina stops him from avenging Neal’s death.

Later, Regina visits her sister in the clink and offers what she once got herself: a second chance. Meanwhile, Rumple and Belle happily reunite, the former forever astonished by his lady love’s unwavering faith. Belle reveals that Regina gave her the Dark One’s dagger, and she wants to give it to him. Rumple, though, returns it to Belle as a gesture of trust, saying, “I am now and for all of the future yours.” Heyyyyy, that kinda sounded like a…. Yep, it is! “Will you marry me?” Rumple asks a giddy Belle.

As Charming reunites Snow with their baby and Emma makes clear to Hook she’s heading back to New York with Henry, Rumple pays jailed Zelena his own visit, revealing that the dagger Belle has is a fake, and that he in fact possesses the real one (thanks to dear ol’ dad’s “Follow the lady” trick). He uses the blade to destroy Zelena… but after he walks away, her dusty remains, I dunno, float through town (?), intermingle with green smoke that churned out of the vault where Regina hid Zelena’s pendant (?), and then make a beeline for the pentagram-y thing giant compass, where they swirled and emitted a flash of bright light.

All of which leads to the promo for next Sunday’s two-hour season finale:

1. Aleana says:

Good Episode My theory is that Emma and Hook get stuck in past enchanted forest where they mess up the time line and have to put everything right or Emma and Henry won’t be born

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Yeah, I’m sure some sort of “Back to the Future” storyline is coming (though probably sans the fading Polaroid).

• david says:

yea but im wondering if next year will go back to season 1 in a way since they are going back in time. Regina is good when she is not evil but it doesnt make for good drama

• Josh says:

Really? I think Lana has done an excellent job on bringing the drama as good Regina. Her continued redemption story, struggling with what that means will be great to see. Plus it isn’t as if she was all good, she did threatened to crush her sister’s heart. I think going back(yet again) on a redemption arc just gets old, especially since Rumple is still on the bad guy side.

• emsytraut says:

Disagree. Will never agree. Rumplestiltskin did EVERYTHING for Baelfire, post and pre “Dark One.” NOT a bad guy. Just made a few bad choices and personally, I am NOT upset about his issue with Zelena.
            1. She basically tortured the poor man this whole season
            2. As I said, it all comes back to Bae. The “only way he can think to avenge his son is by killing Zelena.”

• 111 says:

I agree, but he shouldn’t have lied to Belle while proposing.

• Luli says:

I hope it doesn’t take them a season to get everything back together.

• Luli says:

(continue..) because I want more Charming family scenes, or Emma/Snow ones… and Emma should start calling MM and David by “mom” and “dad” (It’s about time!).

• Christina says:

Or at least start calling MM “Snow.” If I was them, I’d kind of hate my StoryBrooke alter-ego name, given that those people were supposed to be the complete opposite of who they were IRL.

• abz says:

Matt, this has nothing to with what you wrote, but do you know if we will find out in these last two episodes how exactly Hook got to New York?

• Mark says:

Lost part deux — not very original this has been done already over and over. This used to fresh and the stories dynamic and different but recently it just seems a rehash of the producers earlier work. The premiss of the stories first and the relationships fitting into the story to enhance the story seems this season to have been thrown out the window. Like in Lost with the Sawyer / Kate story now we have the whole Hook / Emma story come on. If this is indeed a series reset please remember what made the show brilliant in season 1 and stop all on going soap opera rubbish with the various this one must be with that one and that one must be with this one and for the love of god get Meghan Ory back on full time. As although this season has had its moments its not been as interesting as the first two.

• sharialynn says:

And the cool DeLorean!

• Me says:

Very back to the future. I know the next character we meet should be Doc Brown!! Lol

• Luli says:

I was thinking the same thing!!

2. Leo says:

What is his name? Mowgli?

3. Bianca says:

Great episode! I’m curious how the time travel will play out, will only Emma & Hook be in the past EF, and everyone else still in SB? I am excited for Emma’s adventures, I just want to see Storybrooke :)

4. Emgee says:

Once Upon a Time…in Narnia!
    Go to Narnia next!

5. Shira says:

Pentagram-y thing? Matt, it was a compass. North, South, East, West, with the symbols in the same places as the witches who represented them. A pentagram is a five-pointed star.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I very well know what a pentagram is, thank you. (I once attended a seminar warning of devil worship in rock music, LOL.) Ergo the word “pentagram-y.” But yes, I reckon it was a compass, in retrospect. The story has been edited.

6. Gerald says:

Maybe it’s just me but this episode sure felt like a season finale…What can they possibly do in the next two episodes?! I’m pretty sure they’ll introduce the next Big Bad. As for the episode, a lot of things happened but it felt so rushed and anticlimactic. I’m kind of sad that they decided to kill Zelena, I liked the character and the actress.

• Jimmy says:

Agree about it feeling rushed. Something makes me think there’s more to come. I was also annoyed that Emma is once again non-magical (or maybe she’s lying). It would be nice if they could let this character embrace her magical side.

• abz says:

Yeah that was very disappointing. I was really enjoying seeing Emma use magic. Remember how gleeful she was at the diner with Hook when she was using her magic. I wanna see more of that.

• Another Mary says:

I think she is magical again. Little John turned back into himself so I think Emma lied to Hook or doesn’t realize she has it back.

• Luli says:

I’m sure she was lying and she got back her magic.. She just hasn’t embraced it yet.

• ninergrl6 says:

Yeah I was bummed that Emma lost her magic before she really got a chance to do something with it. Maybe she was lying? I understand this season (particularly the last few eps) has shown great character development for Regina, but I wanted Emma to be the one to save the day with her light magic. It would be in keeping with Emma’s character to let Zelena live, too. I’m not sure I buy this 180 that we’re seeing from Regina. Is she going to just be good now? I hope not. How boring.

• Iman says:

I think she will get her magic back. Maybe by a true loves kiss. *wink wink*

7. Sarah says:

I wonder if the wedding that was teased will be in the past, because in the promo it looks like Emma and Hook are at a wedding in EF in the past.

8. Thank you, Rebecca Mader, for your meritorious service to this show. You made it so much better, and hopefully you will be rewarded in mid July with a Guest Drama Actress Emmy nomination. That great, you were.

• Gerald says:

I know, right? I loved her character and performance. She was great and will be missed. I know a lot people hated her portrayal, but I personally loved the whole thing. You have to consider the show you’re in and she completely committed to it.

9. Luli says:

So the last top secret scene will reveal where we are going next?? I’m thinkin yes. And they did not named the baby in this episode, right? so… I read in one of your interviews, matt, that the name would be signficant to the story… Maybe it indicates the next place we are going. (?)

10. steven says:

If water couldn’t destroy Zelena, then the Wicked Witch from the movie is still alive?

• hookerforlife says:

she is in wicked

• CK says:

Well about that. she’s alive in the musical since they couldnt kill the lead at the show. The book, Wicked, from which the musical is based pretty much kills her though. There are rumors, but she pretty much stays as a door nail throughout the series.

• Cookiekirk says:

If she’s still alive I’ll be pissed. Come on the killed her 3 times and if she comes back I’m done
      I hope the pendant goes back to the 3nice witches and that Zelena is really dead. I really get tired of evil always winning and I hate when children are involved. Zelena’s power was getting redundant cause no one could win over her,it gets boring instead of exciting. I did love the episode and yes it did feel like a finale. Looking forward to some fun and laughter and grandeur,its about time.

11. Mike Q says:

A long shot, but since the portal bends time, could they be going “a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away?”

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

A&E have said they’ll never do STAR WARS.

• Ash says:

They also said OZ was not happening this season, and well it happened.

Also as cute as the Back to the Future jokes are that defiently won’t happen as Doc Brown and Marty ect belong to Universal.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Nope; in August, they had “no comment” on whether they’d do Oz this season. And yes, the BTTF jokes are… jokes.

• neaorlean says:

Let’s hope they stay that way. I must be the only scifi fan that doesn’t like Back to the Future. Can we meet the new Disney characters instead? Elsa, Merida…

12. Scotty says:

Maybe the baby will be named Anakin, and swept thru the time portal “a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away”…. :-)

13. rac76 says:

Good episode..exciting to see the twist with Dorothy. Look forward to next week’s episode. Also liked the fact that Dr.Whale was there even if it was just for a few minutes. :)

14. Mary says:

Way to ruin the whole reason Charming sacrificed his heart.

• Rob says:

Not really. Like Glinda says, prophecies don’t always work out the way you expect. Yes, they came back to Storybrooke thinking they were getting Emma’s white magic, but Regina never would’ve discovered her ability to use white magic if it weren’t for reuniting with Emma and Henry and breaking the curse by kissing him. Without Charming’s heart, Regina never could have defeated her sister.

• Mary says:

No it’s still ruined and Emma learned how to use her magic just to save Henry and that’s it. Make her give CPR to the most useless character in the show and strip it.

• neaorlean says:

It’s the self fulfilling prophecy – Zelena going after Dorothy… Voldemort going after Harry lol Basically, if they didn’t know about the prophecy, it wouldn’t come true.

15. abz says:

Great episode. Thank your Rebecca Mader for such an excellent performance as Zelena/WW. I will definitely miss her.
    Loved the Emma and Hook moments as well as Regina embracing the good and light within her.
    One thing that has been bothering me though is Emma’s lack of regard for Regina and her transformation. She’s hellbent on going back to New York and taking Henry, but it’s like she doesn’t care what that means for Regina and Regina/Henry and how Henry would feel about it.
    I’m so excited to find out where they’re headed next.

• abz says:

Oh and did anyone else find Regina’s smile as she hid the pendant away a little weird? I thought there was something very ominous and sinister about it On the one hand, you could interpret her smile as being happy to have won and to her finally being good, but on the other hand when when I saw her smile my initial thought was that she’s definitely gonna be up to something. But then again why have her be good and be able to use light magic and then have her be up to something evil or keeping it as a back up if she turns evil? I don’t maybe I’m over-thinking it but I definitely thought that smile was definitely one of Regina’s evil, “I’m winning” or “I’m up to something” smiles.

• Zachary Flye says:

I thought that too at first, I was like, What!?, but after watching it again I think it was a “We won” smile the music just make it seem a whole lot sneakier. Oh, and yeah I’m a bit peeved that Emma keeps going, “We’re going back to New York” without even talking to Regina, ugh!

• RUCookie says:

I did the big – “oh no” with that smile. It means something, and not something good!

• Jc says:

It could be a “we won” smirk/smile. However, the music that went along with it was Regina’s determined/I’m-planning-something score. I think there’s more to that pendant scene.

16. Ash says:

I wonder if Rumple is the villian next season trying to change the past to bring back Neal…either that or Zelena is not dead and is trying to change the past.

17. ShawnF says:

Doubtful on Narnia or Hill Valley….we should look to Disnetpy owned properties….

18. Robert says:

I thought we were going to see more of Oz? I have a feeling this is not the last time we will see Zelena. I did enjoy the episode for the most part and I am curious to see where they will go next.

19. Khorrie says:

Well, it’s good to see that Rumple is still the backstabbing jackass who cares about no one but himself, just like he’s always been. I was never a fan of Regina’s redemption, but since she’s keeping her snark and it was Henry who believed in her, I didn’t mind it so much this episode. Hook needs to run far away from these people and start fresh somewhere else. Emma isn’t worth it, mate.

• emsytraut says:

Excuse me?? You obviously haven’t seen the show. Rumple cares more about his son than anyone and he absolutely adores Belle. They say he’s a coward and maybe he is and he can hold a grudge, that’s for sure, but that DOES NOT mean he’s “a backstabbing jackass.” The man basically commited suicide in Decembers mid season finale and, upon what he thought was him DYING he KISSED his father! The person he hated more than anyone in the world for his whole life!
      “Cares for no one but himself” indeed!

20. powerturtle90sdudemon says:

I thought the mouth to mouth wasn’t necessary in CPR anymore! Unless Emma only knew the technique with both parts involved. Also, what was with the Zelena confrontation? Was it day or night when it happened because they clearly charge in during the day, then with their weapons up it’s clearly night time, then day then night! What the hell? What was going on that caused the scene to be shot at different times?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Seeing your comment, I just rewatched the entire confrontation — it was daytime throughout.

• Sarah B. says:

Was CPR really necessary anyway? Couldn’t Emma use magic to save him?

• Mary says:

No it wasn’t necessary. But they wanted to strip Emma of her magic after all of the trouble she went through to learn how to use it. And the show just continues to speed down hill.

• neaorlean says:

The whole plot was pretty useless, actually, it was just so they give Hook something to do for the last five episodes. Why have Emma learn how to use magic and take it away in two episodes? Why curse Hook’s lips, and not… Henry’s forehead or something. Her toothbrush? Why not, you know, curse Emma?

• Iman says:

Because its to bring angst on their relationship and well drama because they are going to be a couple. Besides Hook is going to have a big storyline anyways, like next season or something.

• Iman says:

Oh wait he already has storyline…

• mangolovenet says:

Thank you! I had the exact same thought during that scene! Chest compressions/hands-only CPR is effective enough without the need for mouth-to-mouth, but they needed an easy way to get rid of her magic so… It’s such lazy writing, though. I’m disappointed.

• nnieM says:

Since he appeared to be drowning in a kiddie pool, I wondered why Emma didn’t just smash the side down and let all the water run out. :-/ ?

21. Tom Charles says:

THEY’RE GOING TO MORDOR!

22. robinepowell says:

What was the whole point of introducing Dorothy? She didn’t really kill the witch, she didn’t become the good witch of the west. All she wanted was to go home, just like in the original story.

I know season 3B was Oz central, but could have left Dorothy out of it.

• Lisa says:

The slippers were gold and not ruby. Thee wizard wasn’t the wizard but Zelenda. I don’t think Dorthy went home or that we are done with her. Henry needs a girlfriend.

• Tiffany says:

in the books, the slippers were silver, not red. they only used red becuase it looked really cool in technicolor

• Stormy says:

The ruby slippers are part of the MGM film and can’t be used by anyone else. In the books the slippers are silver.

• Jc says:

Pretty sure we’ve seen ruby slippers on this show before, I think in Rumple’s collection in his castle, or maybe it was in his pawn shop. Can anyone confirm or am I on drugs?

• When Rumple discussed finding ways to the Land Without Magic with Jefferson, in season 1 I believe. They referred to the silver slippers. Jefferson said he couldn’t get them because they were in a different land. Whether that w as s Kansas or Oz, I’m uncertain.

• Chuck says:

The shoes were silver in the book and in the show,like they’re supposed to be. MGM changed that for the 1939 film since red looked cooler in color than silver. Since MGM still has copyright of the film Disney couldn’t use ruby.

23. Spnj says:

With that twisted family tree, maybe the baby will be named Aegon, grow to adopt a dragon, marry Emma and conquer the 7 kingdoms….

Or they will name him Arthur

24. LoloCurray says:

So a ominous tube of smoke that was once a person. Time travel. Light vs dark sibilings. Where have I seen this before?

25. Far too similar to the Neverland ending. They thought they’d beaten Pan and he comes back as Henry with 2 episodes to go. Now they think they’ve beaten Zelena..and with 2 episodes to go..looks like maybe they haven’t after all.

26. Aly D says:

These 11 episodes have just gotten better and better. I haven’t yelled at my TV this much since season 1. Also, can we talk about how AMAZEBALLS Lana Parilla is and how incredible Regina’s journey has been?!? Now if only Eddy and Adam would devote as much time in character development for everyone else…

27. that preview….waiting for “They’re going to….DISNEYWORLD!”

28. Name This Tune says:

The season finale is titled “There’s no place like home”.
    Home is the Enchanted Forest.
    I
    Isn’t it time for Emma to get in touch with her roots?
    And does anyone really think Zelena is dead?

29. Sarah says:

So we are going to Narnia or Arthurian England?
    Just a quick wardrobe question….why did the beautiful Ginnifer Goodwin have the wear the world’s worst nightgown/torture device of ribbon and lace in the hospital? She just went through labor and 10 seconds later had her beautiful son stolen from her. Didn’t need that ensemble to make it her worst day ever…

• DarkDefender says:

It was just a hideous distraction to make us forget Goodwin is still pregnant.

• Katherine215 says:

Poor Ginnifer Goodwin has had the worst wardrobe the entire course of the show (at least the Storybrooke scenes), but this season has been especially bad. The maternity clothes they gave her were just dreadful.

• powerturtle90sdudemon says:

I think it has to do with her fashion sense being a few decades behind as carryover from a world where the fashion overall is a few centuries behind. But it’s really just a rationalization for truly awful Storybrooke wardrobing that only was worsened by the maternity wear she was given.The only reason she would consciously want to dress that way while pregnant was if because of the forgetting spell that she wasn’t sure the baby was Charming’s. But after that was removed? In labor she looked less pregnant than she did at the reveal of the pregnancy!

• Katherine215 says:

I could see your point about being behind the times if Regina wasn’t dressed so modernly in Storybrooke. They even modernized the WW’s wardrobe from the movies And Snow had great clothing in FTL, which almost makes it worse. I didn’t know they still made shapeless, ugly maternity wear these days, but they found it for Ginnifer.

• sdpnj says:

It had a ’60s, I was channeled Jackie O type feel. ;) Ok, seriously, it was awful

30. This episode seemed rushed and forced and hated that the last two minutes undid the best parts of the episode I was really moved by rumples proposal and then for it all to have been a trick and on top of it for rumple to have actually given zelena exactly what she wanted by “killing” her and while I loved the regena redemption angle was I the only one that thought the charming baby another child of true love like Emma would actually be zelenas undoing I was waiting for him to innocently grab the pendant and remove it or to magically counteract the spell. I also don’t see the point of dorthory being included except to once again show that zelena is ruled by her own jealously and will never be happy and also to explain why Glinda was in the enchanted forest and not oz

31. Also I hope Emma does have her powers back other wise what was the point of us watching her finally embrace her gifts and learn to use them

32. robinepowell says:

We still haven’t found out who the other mysterious member of Henry’s family tree is. Maybe we’ll meet Cora’s mother, since everything seems to be related to Regina, Cora and Zelena.

Of course there’s also Charming/David’s mysterious father, whose name could be given to the baby.

33. Babybop says:

Next episode looks fun. I’m excited to see how they conclude this, considering Zelena died in this episode. I always figured she’d die in the finale.

34. Amanda says:

I believe Emma has her magic back…..but she is bent on hiding it and returning to NY. Maybe next season is in EF past…..so Emma can see where she really comes from and what she is really a part of? If Emma and Hook are there for the wedding scene in the past….what happens to them once the first curse is set? There are enough twists to make that a plot I guess.

35. Matthew b Lawler says:

I am thinking since Henry was named after Regina’s dad that maybe snows baby will be named leo after snows dad but in the pit of my stomach I fear the writers will decide to have the charmings name their son after Neal which will make me very unhappy

36. Gail says:

I thought with the dust and green swirl that Zelena was alive. That she tricked everyone just like she tricked Dorothy with the melting. I thought her being killed would set off her back up plan. I hope next week is not basically a clip show with Emma and Hook inserted into the action. It seemed so from the preview.

37. rachelle says:

Ughhhhhh I can’t stand Emma. I think she’s selfish and thoughtless and inconsiderate. I love Hook so much and I hate the way she’s treating him. She doesn’t deserve him. And the way she keeps crying about New York and just wanting to leave Storybrooke as if her parents don’t matter? How selfish do you have to be to not realize that you’re hurting your parents? And Henry! He’s her biological son, but blood is not the defining characteristic of who is and who isn’t family. Regina adopted Henry. He’s her son in every way that matters. He’s her true love and he loves her a lot, too. The fact that Emma’s selfish butt thinks she can just scoop up Regina’s son and take him away forever pisses me off like crazy! Sorry for the rant, but I just cannot stand her. No matter what she says, she’s making decisions for her own good, not Henry’s.

• tp says:

I was typing my “Emma is getting on my nerves” rant when yours posted. lol

• NTG says:

Completely agree. I posted something similar on another site. She’s got another thing coming if she thinks Regina is going to be on board with her whisking Henry back to NYC, now that he has his memories back. I felt bad for Hook (again.) She was throwing some pretty nasty jabs at him.

• Stormy says:

You contradict yourself. You criticize Emma for acting like her parents don’t matter, but support Regina’s claim to Henry by saying blood is not the defining characteristic of “Family”. You can’t have it both ways. The Charmings didn’t raise Emma and she had a rough life, made her own way including prison and had to give up her child. She has no warm fuzzy memories of Mommy and Daddy. Regina may be trying to redeem herself, but she killed her own father, sent her mother through the looking glass, acquired a child so someone would “belong” to her, cursed an entire town so she could be in charge of things, murdered her sex slave [the good sheriff] when he became interested in her “son’s” real mother and nearly killed that son in an attempt to kill his real mother. I don’t blame Emma for saying “enough”.

• Katherine215 says:

There’s no excusing Regina’s past actions, but Regina is Henry’s legal mother. She has a say in what happens to the kid, whether Emma likes it or not.
        And while I get that Emma had a tough life (it’s been beaten into our brains for 3 years), her parents are good people who tried to save her life by sending her away. They had no idea she would be alone for 28 years. If she truly has no feelings for them after 3 years getting to know them and can just leave them without hesitation, that says more about Emma’s crummy personality than anything else.

• Christina says:

Amen.

• Stormy says:

Regina murdered Graham, kept Belle imprisoned and poisoned Henry because she was trying to kill Emma. No court would uphold her custody of Henry.

• Katherine215 says:

But that’s the thing – no one has actually GONE to court. Emma has basically commandeered Henry now.
            And again, I’m not excusing Regina’s actions, as I was never a huge fan of the redemption arc to begin with, but nearly every character on the show has killed someone. The point of the show is the gray area of all their choices.
            And all of that doesn’t change the fact that Emma hasn’t been shown as caring all that much about her family, which would be at odds with how one would think the child of true love would behave.

• hookerforlife says:

Okay one if anybody tried to say those things in court they would sound crazy. Two she has no legal right to Henry because storybrooke disappeared and vanished from history therefore regina never aadopted Henry in the books

• Katherine215 says:

@hookerforlife – the adoption was done outside Storybrooke. I don’t think those years were erased, weren’t they just forgotten by Henry and Emma? Everyone else still remembered everything.

• hookerforlife says:

yes but if the adoption was done by someone in storybrooke then wouldn’t it be erased

• rachelle says:

At the end of the day, I think Emma’s behavior is reprehensible. She’s not a better mom to Henry than Regina. People can be redeemed. That’s a very important message that the show has tried to push across. If that’s not the case, then Emma shouldn’t have Henry either. She didn’t want him. She gave him up and didn’t want him even when he came to find her again. She needs to realize that she’s being selfish and that she’s not Henry’s only mom. What’s best for Henry is not to be taken away from his family who loves him so much. If Emma doesn’t want to fully accept her parents, fine for her. It sucks and I hate it, but that’s her problem. Regina True Love Kissed Henry. Her love for him is true and pure, regardless of who she was in the past. If pasta are being held against people, Emma’s needs to be held against her to.

• Ella says:

Welllll, she didn`t give Henry because she didn`t want him. She gave him away because she was in prison (let`s think about the whys she ended up there) and was unable to take care of him. Watch the scene again it was by far not an easy decision allthough it was the right one and a traumatic event. Are you serious to blame her for that…Uuuuh that´s tough and cruel.
          She is selfish but for good reasons. She deserves peace and a life she is able to control. Btw i wouldn`t want either that my child is growing up in an unstable enviroment where people you love die like flies. Experiencing things like that is hard to understand for a little boy too.

38. tp says:

I guess I’m the only one irritated by Emma’s constant need to go back to NYC. First it was because Henry didn’t have his memory but now he does and she still wants to go back. She hasn’t even asked him. She keeps saying they were happy there but Hook is right…she wasn’t herself when she was happy in NYC. I get that people move away from their families all the time but c’mon son (Gus voice) she hasn’t had that much time with her family.

• Lori says:

^^this.

• mangolovenet says:

Exactly. And I feel like she spent a great deal of season 1 complaining about not knowing her family blah blah blah. Well, here’s your opportunity.

• abby says:

Yeah the New York obsession annoys me too actually Emma’s been annoying me since the show came back from break. It really annoyed me that she was so reluctant to get Henry’s memory back even though it was the only way for him to remember all the other family members who love him dearly and because while there might be danger in that life Henry loved it it’s not like he’d regain all these horribly traumatic memories. Plus I always take issue that somewhere along the way Emma the mother who gave her child up for adoption got to call all the shots despite her 10 year absence and his adoptive mother being right there.

• rachelle says:

THANK YOU! Especially that last part. If the writers don’t address Emma’s usurpation of Regina’s role as Henry’s mother, I’ll be pissed as hell. Regina’s been more of a mother to Henry than Emma ever will be. And it’s been proven that Regina truly loves her son. Emma is a selfish brat who needs a serious reality check. If Regina (or anyone!) doesn’t put her in her place about the way she’s basically trying to kidnap Henry away from his mother, I’ll be so pissed I might stop watching. I just can’t. This show is one of my favorites. I love the Outlaw Queen storyline and I want to see what happens with it, but I just can’t. I’m not ashamed to admit that I get attached to characters. If Emma gets away with her bull, I’m just gonna be hurt. Plus, it’s just plain unfair.

• Stormy says:

A cat is a better mother than Regina. Regina sent Henry to a shrink when he started figuring out what was going on in Storybrooke. She murdered Graham ruthlessly because she held him as a sexual prisoner that she owned, and couldn’t stand the fact that he liked Emma. She destroyed Henry’s favorite place [beach castle] because he was meeting Emma there. If she’d been a decent mother, Henry would have been happy and not gone in search of Emma. His whole life was a lie before The Book. All of his classmates stayed the same age while he outgrew them, so no real friends. A lonely child, without playmates or warmth in his life. Rewatch season one and see how structured Regina had made his life.

• rachelle says:

Regina’s story is one of redemption. She went from being an evil, dark character to being a good character. It doesn’t matter what she’s done in the past. People’s past shouldn’t be help against them. People can change. This show has shown us that over and over again. Henry is Regina’s true love. That’s been shown irrefutably. She is a good mother. At any rate, Emma is not a better mother than her.

• Stormy says:

So, in your eyes Hitler [had he lived] was redeemable? Pol Pot and Idi Amin were misunderstood? Mitigating circumstances excuse Ivan the terrible and Attilla the Hun?

• rachelle says:

I can’t reply to your post below about Hitler, but if you’re comparing Hitler’s story to Regina’s, then we’re not talking about the same thing. I don’t remember Hitler going through any kind of redemption. The OUAT writers have shown Regina struggling through her anger and evil-ness to redemption. That is something that I thought was very obvious and not open to interpretation. But, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. People can change and make their own destiny. Regina is changing and is making her own destiny. If you think she deserves to lose Henry for what she did in the past, even though she irrefutably loves him [as proven by her True Love Kissing him], to Emma’s selfishness in thinking that she can swoop into Henry’s life and yank him away from his whole family, then that’s your opinion. It’s right for you. My opinion is that Emma is a selfish bee who has no right to think that she’s Henry’s sole mother and the only family member who knows what’s best for him. This back and forth is moot. Ultimately, neither Regina nor Henry will let Emma take Henry away from his family.

• Gail says:

Does anyone know if Regina’s adaption of Henry still exists in the real world? When Regina gave
      Henry and Emma new memories, did she also wipe out the adaption legally or does no one in the real world remember it? I am guessing even if Emma went to NY, she would have to share custody with Regina. Is Emma’s real reason for wanting to go to NY so she would not have to share Henry? She has the memories of being his mother all his life even though she knows they are not real. Like the other characters in Storybrooke, that think of themselves as both their Storybrooke and Fairytale identities.
      If the adaption does still exist, then Regina is the mother and Emma has no parental rights to Henry.

39. Lisa says:

I have a thought for the first half of the next season. Wherever they travel have something happen that makes snow a teen again. Bring back Bailey Madison as young snow while Gennifer Goodwin is on maternity leave. Emma would then be dealing with a teenage son and a teenage mother. That would leave David to care for the new baby and still not have the domestic bliss that has alluded the charmings. I also hope to see Bey return in a different realm as young Bey. The actor was good. Father and son could be teens together.

40. Luli says:

They should go to Westeros! HA! Where the winter is coming, but never comes!

41. fatalsin says:

lets go to kings landing! lol

42. powerturtle90sdudemon says:

Two things about Ginny/Snow’s pregnancy

1) She was dressed better during labor than she was the first 8 episodes of the half. Not very flattering to the bump and I think it’s a mix of her conservative-style innocence (what she wore coming down the stairs was ’40s-’50sish, and her outfits of Fairy Tale Land being not even 20th century in a way that is why her stylishness is slow in Storybrooke
    2) She looked more pregnant at the end of episode 12 than she did in labor.

43. HK says:

If they do go back in time, could we please please please see more of Maleficent?

• abz says:

If they ever bring her back, they definitely need to recast the role with someone who embodies the character better!

• hookerforlife says:

The first actress (Pam of True Blood) was really good I hope they bring her back

• abz says:

Kristin Bauer is great on True Blood, but I think she is awful as Maleficent and the role was definitely miscast IMO

44. Gail says:

If Zelena is really, truly, and sincerely dead, is someone from the past going to come out of the hole ? I can’t see anyone in the current Storybrooke using it to go somewhere deliberately. Is someone going to walking home drunk from the wedding and fall in and change history?,

What will be the fallout when they discover Zelena is gone? I assume they will think she escaped and will go to where the hole is. I assume Rumple will not admit he had anything to do with it.

• ninergrl6 says:

From the preview it looked like Emma (and presumably Hook) got pulled into the time travelling hole unwillingly.

45. justme says:

I don’t understand why everyone else (who isn’t a mermaid) needs a magic bean, mirror, slippers or hat to cross realms; but Zelena can just wave her hand and banish Glinda to the Enchanted Forrest?

• Me says:

Apparently a curse can cause realm travel too. SB was made by a curse and Glinda was said to be cursed to the north woods.

46. DarkDefender says:

Well I hope they don’t head to Narnia.. I would prefer seeing Emma deal with the EF scenario. I’d also like the explanation as to why only Snow can get the Story Book when she needs it.

47. deita says:

Merlin is waiting…Once upon in Camelot that would be awesome. Morgana lafey will be the new villain. Rise young Arthur ..

• Kervin says:

THIS! Maybe they name the baby Arthur, and coincidentally he turns out to be the Once and Future King himself!

OK, I know, wishful thinking. Would be awesome though. An evil Merlin perhaps? =D

• Stormy says:

All of that except the baby being Arthur. Since lancelot was in the EF, Arthur is already a grown man. Arthur was quite a bit older than Lancelot, hence Guinevere’s wandering eye.

48. Kalee says:

Wow, the magic in this episode was entirely “Wave hands. Watch people get thrown back by wires.”

I know Zelena’s villain expiration date had to come, but she was amazing. I got really mad when Rumpel killed (?) her. It should’ve been him. Rumpel’s not all that compelling anymore.

49. Mary says:

Season 4 they’d better not make it Bad guy vs Bad guy again, while making the Good Guys mostly stand around and watch. Also quit making every villain related to each other and the good guys. They finally quit making Rumple everything. And speaking of Rumple they shouldn’t exile him from the rest of the cast, as they did for most of this season. Instead they should send Hook into exile as he really doesn’t do anything except for harass Emma who keeps telling him she’s not interested. That’s not romantic. That’s creepy stalker behavior. One of the most disgusting phrases in the English language is “I won’t take no for an answer.”

• hookerforlife says:

He never said that he wouldn’t take no for an answer. Also he is not harassing her. he saved her and her parents life when he went to New York.

50. SK says:

So I was wondering why Emma gave Hook mouth to mouth when she could have just used her magic? I agree with one poster who said that it’s their way of making Emma kiss Hook and thus lose her magic which as another poster said is lazy writing.

I agree with another poster who said that Zelena can’t be dead yet. I think based on her tricking Dorothy into killing her, she tricked Rumple (or anyone else) into killing her. This way, she was able to go back in time as a green smoke. She might need to be in that form to do it.

Can’t wait for next week’s episode! I do hope we get to find out the new prince’s name.

• Stormy says:

That’s puzzling, because she’s not supposed to be very powerful without the amulet.

• emsytraut says:

Sorry, wrong reply. Someone suggested the idea of bringing the Muppets into this show…

• powerturtle90sdudemon says:

The Muppets are not literary characters. They will not show up. They don’t even have a fictional homeworld. And no, Sesame Street would not count because legal reasons. I can tell you that Winnie the Pooh and his pals have a better chance. And while it’s a slim chance, it’s not a joke