Starz's New Outlander Trailer Showcases Time Travel, Scotland and 50 Percent More Jamie

In January, when Starz released the first promo for its upcoming Outlander drama, fans of the novels on which the series is based cried out for more footage of its gallant, good-looking Scottish hero (played by Sam Heughan).

On Friday, the pay cabler delivered.

RELATEDOutlander Adds Borgias Actress

The series, adapted by Battlestar Galactica‘s Ronald D. Moore, follows the story of Claire Randall (played by Irish actress Caitriona Balfe), a married combat nurse from 1945 who is mysteriously swept back in time to 1743, where she is immediately thrown into an unknown world. When she is forced to marry Jamie Fraser (newcomer Sam Heughan), a chivalrous and romantic young Scottish warrior, a passionate affair is ignited that tears Claire’s heart between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives.

Press PLAY on the video below to see more of Claire’s pre-time-jump life with hubby Frank (Tobias Menzies, Game of Thrones), more glowing shots of the Scottish countryside and more Jamie/Claire action — especially their first conversation alone after returning to his family’s estate.

1. christine says:

So excited. If you havent read the books, You are in for an awesome trip!!!!

2. Becky says:

It looks really good. So excited! :D

3. Elizabeth says:

Oh wow! It DOES look good. It’s been years since I read the books, so I don’t remember much beyond the basics but I’m definitely giving this a try.

4. CourtTV says:

This trailer makes the show more appealing! I’m so excited.

5. Pati says:

Ahhhhh I cannot describe my excitement it looks perfect, I can’t wait. I love the series. I recently got an outlander inspired tattoo

6. Kim says:

I’m so excited for this! It really looks like it’s going to live up to the books!

7. MandaJ says:

It’s irrational to be sad that so few people have commented on this article, but I do weirdly feel sad. So I’ll try to “squee” a bit louder to make up for it.

• liz says:

well I’ve been trying to get the video to load all evening with no luck…..so that’s why I haven’t commented haha

8. Mina says:

Outlander on starz … -_-

F*ck !!!!

I HATE starz …

9. Bill S. Preston Esq. says:

I haven’t read the books, so maybe I’m at a loss here, but what is the “Hook” of this series?

Based on the descriptions I’ve seen thus far, a women from the 1940’s gets shifted back in time to the 1740’s… other than that what is this show about? Is time travel a primary focus of this show? Is it really just a period romance featuring a girl out of time, trying to reconcile her past in the future with her future in the past? Will time travel be explained? Is there magic in this world aside from the Time Travel MacGuffin?

I’m not trying to bash, (I’ve got book series I love as well) It’s just that I see nothing but effuse praise for how great the books are, yet no explanation for what the books are about and/or why I should want to watch a show based on them,

Hope the fans are pleased with it, but the advertising just hasn’t done much to sell me on this new show.

• Ted "Theodore" Logan says:

It’s far more than just a traditional period romance. At its heart, the series is an extremely well-researched historical saga, with some fantasy elements (the time-traveling bit) thrown in to drive the plot. It’s about war, and its effects on the men and women who suffer through it – army nurse Claire leaves her present time in 1946, just after the horrors of WWII – only to be thrown back in time to 1743, at the start of the Scottish Uprising on 1745. It’s about the conflict that all time travelers must reconcile – how much of the future do you share with the past, knowing the outcomes? Can a time traveler change the future? Or are all events already set in stone? The relationship between Jamie and Claire is certainly a focal point – they are thrown together as a means to protect each of them, but it is their reactions and interactions with the Uprising and Claire’s knowledge of the future that truly drives the story.

• Bill S. Preston Esq. says:

Thank you very much, my Most Excellent companion through time!

PS – Don’t forget to wind your watch.

10. Trista says:

If I were any more excited I’d be peeing my pants right now. LOL

11. Nancy Upfold says:

I see no video. Just a blank spot where I’m supposed to hit “play”