American Idol: What Should the Top 4 Sing for 'Break-Ups/Make-Ups' Week?

Psychological Torture Week is over on American Idol – or at least we can hope! — and it’s time to focus on what the Season 13 Top 4 will/should sing for a “Break-Ups/Make-Ups”-themed episode on Wednesday (8/7c on Fox).

PHOTOS | May Sweeps Scoopapalooza: 99+ Spoilers on Your Favorite Series’ Season-Ending Episodes

Yeah, sure, the parameters are broader than a double-wide trailer — aren’t 75 percent of popular tunes about love gone right or oh-so-wrong? — but that’s not stopping me from brainstorming ideas to avoid the horrors of “Against All Odds (Take a Look at Me Now),” “Crazy Little Thing Called Love” and “Piece of My Heart” (to name a few).

VIDEO | Reality Check: Are Idol‘s Judges Anti-Jessica?

Click through the gallery below for my brilliant/baffling picks, then hit the comments and share your own suggestions!

1. Jake says:

Two words for Jena’s Make-Up song: Video Games

• Sarah says:

Hell to the YES.
      What about Love Is Blindness? Or does that forever belong to Jacquie Lee from The Voice?

• darcy's evil twin says:

I like the Video Games suggestion.

• My Krav is Bettah says:

Same Video Games…jENA at the piano. Would be killer

• Jena singing Trouble from Tylor Swift would be perfect!!!

• Sharon Kirk says:

First of all….the writing here is terrible. Trying to be hip and cool doesn’t make it because I don’t understand what the hell you are saying. But the one thing about the judges being anti-Jessica….I agree….she is like dead wood. She has a voice…but can’t sing. There is nothing behind the persona. Jena to me is so clearly the winner. She has great personality, voice, singing ability, stage presence and there is actually a brain behind the eyes. Sam Woolf is another wooden singer. Hello? Is anybody home? The only reason he made it so far is his looks. He doesn’t want to be a heartthrob…but, he needs to be thankful he was perceived as such. Nothing else is there. Caleb is a rock guy with a great voice…but he’s too full of himself and without a band and original songs…where can he go? Alex is such a niche artist. He clearly has the stuff…but it’s limited stuff. I’m going with Jena all the way. She’s got the goods all round. It’s a no-brainer!

2. tonyricearoni says:

“I Can’t Make You Love Me” for Jessica. Book it. She’d kill that.

• pmet says:

Great choice!! And she should sing it directly to JLo and her shiny lips.

• Timmah says:

He he, good one. I’d rather no one touch this song though because Allison Iraheta did the definitive version of it.

• AlyB says:

Oh please someone make this happen. That’s perfect for her.

• Tess says:

Good choice indeed, and likely on “the list” too. But I’d much rather hear her do “Wicked Game” – she’s got a cover of it online and it’s really awesome. Plus, I’d think the judges would say that the Bonnie Raitt song is expected for her while Chris Isaak would be a little more surprising.
      I wouldn’t mind seeing her do Noel Gallagher’s “If I Had A Gun” either but I doubt the show would clear it. It’s a cool love ballad though… and I think she’s covered that online too…

• CK from DC says:

Plus one. She should sing the entire song two feet from Keith and JLo. LEANING IN.

Make-up: How about Cheap Trick’s “I Want You to Want Me”?

3. brandy says:

Jena doing a(ny) Haley Reinhart song would make me oh so happy. Ho Hey for Jess would be great also. I’d been thinking that would be good for Sam, so someone should do it.

• brandy says:

Whatever Jena does, I hope that one of them is just a completely stripped down piano song that shows off nothing but herself and the quiet side of her voice. That would propel her even more as a front runner.

• Julie Anderson says:

Alex has done covers of both “Hey Ho” and Taylor Swift’s “We Are Never, Ever Getting Back Together.” on His Youtube Channel. I don’t really care for either of those for him. I want to see “Blower’s Daughter” by Damien Rice.
      I like “These Boots Are Made for Walking” for Jesse.

• Stormy says:

I have a feeling “These Boots” would draw sarcastic remarks from the judges about her not moving much. I can hear Keith snidely remarking that it’s an odd choice for her.

• Diana says:

No, no, no. No “Boots Are Made For Walking”. Ever. Just, No. I think it was attempted on Idol in the past and not well received. It is not a song. And just no. Jessica is WAY better than that song, and should sing something that showcases her voice and emotions. Not this silly song. (Albeit is one I do like…yea, go figure).

• The Beach says:

Agree. This was a silly novelty song for Nancy Sinatra who couldn’t carry a tune in a bucket. Jess is way too good for this.

• Jill Moya says:

Nancy received Grammy nominations, maybe even for BOOTS. She was an alright singer and had many top 10 singles. She won an EMMY award for her TV Special. I think she had a very good recording career. BOOTS sold over 1,000,000 copies so saying the song isn’t much is ludicrous!

• Jill Moya says:

Showcases what EMOTIONS? She’s stiff with a stone face. Maybe Nancy wasn’t much of a singer but looks wise, she trumps unattractive BIG ARMED Jess. Nancy at least showed emotions on the song and I’m sure the song sold copies. Jess would falter so bad trying BOOTS, It would be hilarious. I hope she ATTEMPTS IT, so we can all have a good laugharoo!

• osborn1116 says:

I would prefer Alex on Damien Rice’s Delicate. I think that’d be a moment

• Kim R says:

I would love to hear Alex do James Taylor’s “Fire and Rain”. :)

4. Kate says:

Poor Michael has been begging for “Heartbreak Hotel” for years. SOMEONE GIVE THE MAN WHAT HE WANTS!

5. Akash says:

Isn’t Mariah’s “We Belong Together” more of a break up song than a make up song?

6. Michelle says:

Jena singing Haley would be amazing!

7. CM says:

“With or Without You” for Caleb

8. Jaszy says:

First of all, Jessica Meuse could sing her original song that she performed in Hollywood Week, called Done. It’s about being done with a relationship. I think that would be perfect for the breakup song. It’s her original song so she would KILL IT!

I also think Jena would slay it singing Haley Rienhart, the supreme slayer!

But I’m rooting for Jessica, of course. She’s my fav! I’m SO HAPPY she made it to TOP 4! In your face, judges!

9. Jaszy says:

That song ‘Emmylou” by the First Aid Kits is such a beautiful song. It evokes a lot of emotion that Jessica has in her voice. But I don’t think the majority of mainstream America, the young folks, would get that song. It’s sort of a bluegrass, folk-country, little house on the prairie type song…and America likes country music…but not that type of country music. I don’t think that song choice would garner a lot of votes for her.

Another Breakup choice for Jessica could be Diane Birch’s “Rewind.” That song is one of the best songs ever! Jessica and Diane have a similar tone and twang to their voices. Diane Birch is a true artist and I think Jessica could do her justice!

10. Edward says:

Jena – Manhattan by Sara Bareilles/ All the way by Timeflies
    Caleb – Since You’ve been Gone by Kelly Clarkson/ Nothing Compares to You by Sinead Oconnor
    Jessica – The First Cut is the Deepest by Sheryl Crow/ Have i told you Lately by Rod S.
    Alex – Thinking About You by Frank Ocean/ Wonderful Tonight by Eric Clapton

• CK from DC says:

While I like the songs, nobody is going to get America’s votes by doing two Rod Stewart songs.

11. AprilD says:

I stand by my picks I listed on the other page:
    Alex – Dire Straights’ “Romeo & Juliet” & Kris Allen’s “Vision of Love”
    Caleb- “Why can’t this be love” Van Halen & “Like a Stone” Chris Cornell (maybe slowed down version)
    Jena- “The story” Brandi Carlile & “Almost Lover” A fine frenzy (arranged a little bit w/ her at the piano)
    Jess- (It’ll never happen but…) Lily Allen’s “Not Big” & “Leave the Pieces” by the Wreckers

• darcy's evil twin says:

And again, I really like the “Leave the Pieces” suggestion for Jess. That would be awesome.

• Leticia Prado says:

Love the “Like a Stone” suggestion, but I am super biased, as I love Chris Cornell.
        I would love if one of the girls did either Simple Together or Not as We , both by Alanis. Hearts would bleed.

• AprilD says:

Agree, “Not as we” would be a good pick.

• BrewsterFly says:

Not as We is the greatest song most people have never heard from Alanis!! Excellent choice! I also love the suggestion of Leave the Pieces for Jess!

• Jaszy says:

Uhh! I love that Wreckers song. I played that song like crazy when their only album first came out!
      “And it’s alright, yeah, I’ll be fine, don’t worry ’bout this heart of mine, just take your love and hit the road,there’s nothing you can do or say, you’re gonna break my heart anyway, so just…leave the pieces when you gooooo”
      Good stuff. good stuff…Jessica would sing that really well. Actually, I think Jessica can sing pretty much anything. Love her!

• Thea says:

Love your choices for Jena! Brings me back to Barnes & Noble circa late ’07/early ’08, when we did nothing but play Brandi, A Fine Frenzy, Feist and Grace Potter well past when we were supposed to lol. Great suggestion on The Wreckers for Jess too! I love Michelle Branch any way I can get her.

• JM says:

Someone else knows and loves Dire Straits ‘Romeo & Juliet’??? One of my all-time favorites! It would be a stretch for Alex, though, considering it’s supposed to be sung by a juvenile delinquent.

• AprilD says:

Eh, minor detail. ;) My favorite version is a low key rendition by Matt Nathanson. I think Alex would slay with it.

12. jr. says:

Let them pick appropriate songs from the “That’s Entertainment” era! The current choices for songs, can leave listeners unsure if the contestant have sung the song correctly or not!

• darcy's evil twin says:

I don’t dislike your suggestion necessarily but the same could be said for songs from the ‘That’s Entertainment’ era considering there might be about five of us old codgers here that would even recognize the songs.

13. AlyB says:

I do like the choice above of I Can’t Make You Love Me for Jess but I’d also love to see her go with something newer like Further Away by Lissie. There’s a lot of similarities in their voices and it suits her.

• Jaszy says:

Although I love Lissie (I have both of her studio albums; they are AMAZING), I feel Jessica’s voice is more similar to an artist like Diane Birch. Listen to her two albums if you haven’t. She’s one of the best artists I’ve ever heard. Her first album is…golden. Jessica’s voice reminds me a little of Diane’s.

• AlyB says:

Diane Birch would be a good fit from what I heard. I still love the idea of her doing Further Away though. I know that’s unlikely to happen but that would be my pick. Actually I’d love it if Lissie herself came on and sang Shameless directly into JLo’s face!

14. Mike says:

Meredith Brooks’ “I’m a Bitch” for Jena.

15. lunaburning says:

For Caleb- We Just Disagree by Dave Mason
    Alex- Just When I Needed You Most by Randy VanWarmer or Bell Bottom Blues by Derek and the Dominos.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Good choices! I think “We Just Disagree” would work for Jena as well, and even Alex.

16. lunaburning says:

For Jessica- Jack White’s Love Interruption

17. Stormy says:

After sorting and resorting:
    Jessica break up song = her own original “Done”, make up song “Picture”/Sheryl Crowe
    Alex break up “Skinny Love”/Bon Iver, make up “Lay Down Beside Me”/Don Williams
    Caleb break up “Key Largo”/Bertie Higgins, make up “In These Arms”/Bon Jovi

18. darcy's evil twin says:

I posted my choices previously. Due to protests from Stormy about my choice of “Always” by BonJovi for Jena I have changed that one to Lesley Gore’s “It’s My Party and I’ll Cry if I Want To”.

For some reason country music kept coming to mind for the break-up songs….
    Alex – Keith Urban’s “You’ll Think of Me” or Tim McGraw’s “Angry All the Time”
    (“Angry All the Time” was written by Charlie Robison and simply has some of the finest lyrics I’ve ever heard)
    Jena – Lesley Gore’s “It’s My Party and I’ll Cry if I Want To” or JoDee Messina’s “Lesson in Leaving”
    Caleb – The J Geils Band’s “Love Stinks” or Aaron Tippin’s “Kiss This”
    Jessica – Mary Chapin-Carpenter’s “He Thinks He’ll Keep Her” or Patty Loveless’ “You Don’t Even Know Who I Am”

• Stormy says:

That would be a twist for Jena. Her singing a song by Alex’s cousin. Kind of cool.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Well, you’re the one that told me if she sang “Always” the lyrics would be unintelligible, I believe. I think even Jena could sing “It’s My Party, and I’ll Cry if I want To” with lyrics everyone could understand.

19. darcy's evil twin says:

The make-up songs were considerably tougher. Stormy cited Scotty and Lauren’s “I Told You So” and thought Alex shouldn’t attempt it, but I think his version would sound completely different.

Jess – Trisha Yearwood’s “Believe Me Baby, I Lied” or Linda Ronstadt’s “Try Me Again” (my favorite)
    Jena – Lesley Gore’s “Judy’s Turn to Cry”. .Another choice – , Journey’s “Open Arms”
    Caleb – Vince Gill’s “One More Last Chance” (funny lyrics and a true story about country great George Jones); or The Turtles’ ” You Know She’d Rather Be With Me”
    Alex – Randy Travis’ “I Told You So” or Emmylou Harris’ “Together Again”.

20. darcy's evil twin says:

Group Make-Up number – Peaches and Herb’s “Reunited” . Yay, cheesy 70s variety show time!

21. Jeff says:

I would love for Jena to tackle Kelly Clarksons Sober.

22. Diana says:

No, No, No, No! I love you Michael Slezak but No One, and I repeat NO ONE, should ever be allowed to “sing” “These Boots Are Made For Walking”. It is NOT a song. It is not sung. Nancy Sinatra talked it. ( I would say rapped it, but no, not really, cause there was no rhyme or Rhythm.). Just NO. Eww.

• Agent Smith says:

Yes, if Jessica does that song, there’s no doubt her boots will be walkin’ out the door the next night. That’s an old, overdone song that won’t play well with most viewers anymore.
      The ratings continue to drop for Idol, as outdoor activities increase in the Northern parts of the country. Some sites around the net are now bashing Alex and Jena. Sam has tweeted a plea for them to “stop hating” etc.

• Jill Moya says:

To pull off BOOTS, one has to be sexy and perhaps sassy, as well as having some personality, qualities Jess doesn’t possess.

• HTGR says:

yeah, I wonder if JLo and Randy didn’t bop Slezak over the head and change what the had picked for Jessica and replace it with that. That song = instant elimination on these shows.

• CK from DC says:

Concur. Sorry, Slezak, but Jess would be better off covering “I Luh Ya Papi” than doing “Boots.” More likely, she’ll play to her/ Dexter/ CJ’s audience and go country.

• Kim R says:

Agreed! And she most likely would be singing it with no expression on her face. Double whammy! :)

• Jill Moya says:

That’s not true. It was sung.

23. karen says:

Caleb: Wrecking Ball by Miley Cyrus
    Jessica: Creepin’ by Eric Church
    Jena: White Wing Dove by Stevie Nicks
    Alex: “You and Me” or “Broken” by Jake Bugg

• darcy's evil twin says:

I’m loving “Creepin” for Jessica!

• Mark says:

Umm, if by “White Wing Dove” you mean “Edge of Seventeen,” that’s not a break up song at all. At the time, Stevie said she wrote it in response to her uncle and John Lennon both dying in the same week. She was working with Tom Petty at that time, and his wife coined the phrase “edge of seventeen.”
      Recently, however, I heard her in an interview state that a close friend of hers was dying or had just died of cancer, and she was at her house when she saw the woman’s son looking totally lost. Her instinct to comfort the boy kicked in, ultimately resulting in the song.

24. Diana says:

For Jena or Jessica. Or really Alex or Caleb — could be interesting: Shelby Lynne’s “Tell Me I’m Crazy”. Makeup song.

25. Stormy says:

I just cracked myself up. I saw a tape from years ago on The Gong Show when every contestant came out and sang “Feelings”. And I thought how hilarious that would be if they surprised all of TPTB by doing that to get revenge for The Twist! And they should do a really cliche’ song. Can you imagine? Live TV and no way out. Hilarious. Ok, no more Di Saronno and Coke for me.

• darcy's evil twin says:

All kidding aside, Stormy, I’ve often thought a good theme might be to assign everyone the same song!

• Stormy says:

ITA, but what do you think would be a good song to separate the wheat from the chaff? It would need to be a no gimmicks, straightforward, sing well or sound foolish song. Most of the current music isn’t geared toward great voices. Not like back in the decades that Michael Buble likes to choose music from. It would also be interesting if each of them was allowed to tinker with the arrangement to personalize it. Food for thought.

• darcy's evil twin says:

How about Cole Porter’s “Night and Day”? It’s been recorded by everyone from Ella Fitzgerald to Dionne Warwick to Ringo Starr to Sinatra to U2!

• Stormy says:

Yeah. A lot of Cole Porter songs need someone who can actually sing because they aren’t gimmicky and don’t rely on back-up singers. In the end that’s the real test, can the vocalist carry the song. Good choice.

26. osborn1116 says:

I’m just wondering if both of the girls will be picking an Alanis Morissette or Adele song aka the all time breakup artists

• darcy's evil twin says:

I hope not. I think we’ve endured “You Oughta Know” enough on this program. And please, no Sarah McLachlan. Not ever. Not on Idol, not on sad animal commercials. Nowhere.

• osborn1116 says:

I agree lol but those are the two artists that I think of when I hear break up songs. Plus Jess has that edge that would fit a Morissette song. I don’t want to see it but I could see it happening

• becca says:

Another good alanis morrisette song is “uninvited. Josh Krajick did it on x factor and did a great job.

27. Woodmeister says:

A wish list …..

Make-Up:
    Caleb – I keep hoping for Caleb to do something by Bob Seger ..maybe Hollywood Nights or Night Moves would work here.

Jessica – Wicked Games by Chris Isaak or Weak in The Knees by Serena Ryder

Jena Irene – Fumbling Toward Ectasy by Sarah Mclachlin

Alex – Can’t Help Falling in Love by Elvis Presley or The Sweater Song by Hedley

Break-Up:
    Caleb – Love Hurts by Nazareth

Jessica- Done by Jesica Meuse or Crying by Roy Orbison

Jena Irene – How Come You Don’t Call Me by Alicia Keys or Insensitive by Jann Arden

Alex – he could always do Say Something again….but I like the suggestion of Skinny Love by Bon Iver or maybe Let Her Go by Passenger

Duets – Caleb and Alex: Return to Sender by Elvis or Breaking up is Hard to Do by Neil Sedaka
    Jena Irene and Jessica : You’re No Good by Lina Ronstadt or To Know Him is To Love Him done by a whole bunch of different people.

• Jaszy says:

Ooooh, Weak in the Knees by Serena Ryder is a gem. I looove that song! Serena Ryder’s such an underrated artist. Like I said in another post, I think Jessica could sound great singing anything. This song is no exception in my eyes.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I really like the Jann Arden pick but I think I’d like it better with Jess singing the song.

• Matrix says:

I like the idea of Jess doing some Linda Ronstadt (mix of pop and country). She would do very well with You’re No Good.

28. Emma says:

I want Jess to sing Evidence by Susan Tedeschi for the breakup song.

29. Kevin says:

I had a hard time with these because some of these songs seem to be both make-up and break-up songs, but here goes:

Jena – Break-up – “Wild Horses” by the Rolling Stones
    – Make-up – “I only have eyes for you” by Flamingo’s/Art Garfunkel

Alex – Break-up – “To Build a Home” by The Cinematic Orchestra featuring Patrick Watson
    – Make-up – “You Give me something” – by James Morrison

Jessica – Break-up – “As I Lay me Down” by Sophie B Hawkins
    – Make-up – “A Thousand Years” by Christina Perri

Caleb – Break-up – “Love Lockdown” by Kanye West
    – Make-up – “Adorn” by Miguel

30. Grazie says:

Caleb:
    Otis Reading: i`ve been loving you to long
    The Black Keys: Tighten Up

Jena:
    Birdy: Skinny Love
    Muse: Time is Running Out

Jess
    Fiona Apple: Criminal
    Maps: Yeah Yeah Yeahs

I don`t care about Alex

31. TheMadAdam(Previously Adam Fachry) says:

For some reason, my posts keep disappearing so I decided to post it with a different account. Anyway, I could careless about the make-up song but here are my song suggestions for the break-up ones:

Jess: Elvis Costello’s “I Want You” (YES, I WANT YOU TO SING THIS, JESS! My advice: do the Fiona Apple’s version, and make sure you watch her performance as well. See how even with stillness, her eyes can still evoke both a forceful intensity and fragility, reinterpreting the song’s point of view from a betrayed alpha male to a stalker whose sanity is shaken to the core)

Jena: Lykke Li’s “Sadness Is a Blessing”

Alex: Oasis’ “Wonderwall”

Caleb: Neil Young’s “Only Love Can Break Your Heart”

32. Mark says:

I hate when Michael posts two columns on the same subject. I already listed these (mostly) break up songs on the prior thread, but I’ll add them here as well:

Alex – Wild Is The Wind (David Bowie); Black Coffee In Bed (Squeeze); Hang Me Up To Dry (Cold War Kids)
    Caleb – The Last Fight (Velvet Revolver); Love Hurts (Nazareth); Whiskey In The Jar (Metallica)
    Jessica – Blow Me One Last Kiss (Pink); Don’t Get Me Wrong (Pretenders) Crying (Roy Orbison)
    Jena – Ex Factor (Lauryn Hill); Special (Garbage); Anything Can Happen (Ellie Goulding)

Duets:
    Caleb and Jessica – Go Your Own Way (Fleetwood Mac)
    Alex and Jena – Gone Gone Gone (Robert Plant and Alison Krauss)

I’m striking out on the make up songs.

• Mark says:

I dug a little deeper and came up with a few kind of sort of almost make up-ish songs:
      Caleb – Like A Hurricane (Neil Young)
      Alex – Holdin On (Citizen Cope)
      Jessica – Hurts So Bad (Susan Tedeschi)
      Jena – Despair (Yeah Yeah Yeahs)

• Jen says:

A part of me now wants to see “Whiskey in the Jar” just to see how people here would react to a couple hundred year old song.

33. Kim R says:

I’d really, really like Alex to sing James Taylor’s Fire and Rain.
    For Caleb, to show me what he has when feeling is in front, I’d like We’ve Got Tonight by Bob Seger or Sheriff’s When I’m With You. I’m totally aging myself aren’t I? :D
    I think Jena could sing anything, I just want to understand her words better.
    I fear for Jessica this week because she is going to have to have some sort of true emotion showing on her face with the subject matter and I’m not sure she can do it. She has this blank stare thing going on.
    And on a final note, I truly wish they would stop staring into the camera lens and sing to the audience. It would help them so much to connect with what they are actually saying. :)

• Timmah says:

Fire and Rain is an interesting choice for Alex, but I’m not sure it qualifies as a break-up song. It’s about a friend who committed suicide in a mental institution.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I believe you’re correct, Timmah. I can’t find the remote control around here half the time but I remember that!

34. Jenna says:

We’ve Got Tonight will always remind me of Phillip Phillips. I don’t think Caleb could emote nearly as much as he did when he performed it.

35. I can’t picture Caleb singing Heartbreak hotel…the harmonies in the chorus are way too soft and sultry. I would love to see that song on the show, though. That album is seriously underrated.

36. osborn1116 says:

Should probably stop giving Caleb song choices. His feelings on the subject are pretty clear. IF any of his fans tweeted song selections then I feel bad for you

37. ck says:

Alex: “Love Will Tear Us Apart” from Joy Division.

38. Jase says:

LMAO. Idol posted its WORST RATINGS IN 13 SEASONS the night of this stupid twist. This show truly is on a downward spiral and this is really the worst season of them all. I don’t even remember who sang what this week, that’s how bad they all are. Meanwhile Survivor is POPPING on Wednesday night. You get it Jeff Probst, get it gurl!

• Syb says:

So why are you here and how do you know what happened? Weren’t you watching your Jeffy and a bunch of wannabe reality stars competing in a contrived set of situations in order to make page 14 of US Magazine?

• Jase says:

It’s called DVR you brainiac. And that contrived set of situations is getting way more coverage online and better ratings than Idol. Grantland, AV Club, Zap2It, all these sites that used to cover Idol religiously have given up on the show and aren’t even covering this lousy season.

• Jill Moya says:

BRAVO! someone agrees with me. You are so right Jase!

39. Caroline says:

#studio time!! Yay!! <33 #recording #itunes #audio #music #musicislife #idol #teamjess

A photo posted by Jess Meuse (@jessmeuse) on

Jessica posted this from her recording session, and commenters say it is “You and I” by Lady Gaga.

• GuitarBlue says:

If so, she’s still moving in many different directions. Doing some Country here and there, then older rock, then shifting to Pop>

The Country audience IMO is the only avenue she has to get to the finals, She’s got no chance to out-Pop/alternative rock Jena or capture the Pop/current vibe of Alex – and she’s not going to out Hard-Rock Caleb for that fan base.

Bad song choices will send her home net week for sure. .Sam’s former support, that bother to continue to vote,– -will most likely be moving to Alex or Jena. Without grabbing some Country support;, I doubt that Jessica has a chance to survive another week.

• Terry says:

Really? That will be like the 4th song she’s covered that was previously covered on the show by Haley Reinhart. That can’t be a coincidence can it. Not that there’s anything wrong with that mind you.

• kcostell says:

For the third time in four seasons? That’s approaching Asteroid levels of overdoneness.

• Jill Moya says:

perfect, Gaga and Meuse, 2 of the homeliest people on earth!

40. Grumpy Fan says:

Looks like Caleb’s EXIT interview could be next week, after he calls his fans retards…. oh my! :(

41. Amie says:

I Can’t Make You Love Me is way overdone on AI. Allison Iraheta, Hollie Cavanaugh, Kimberly Locke, Carrie Underwood, Constantine Maroulis… I’m sure there are more. Why not go a little further back in the Bonnie Raitt catalog and pick her version of “Love Has No Pride” for Jessica? It’s awesome, it’s country enough and it’s not nearly as overdone as I Can’t Make You Love Me. There’s also a whole lot of heartbreak in Jackson Browne’s songs that Alex could do, or Jessica, for that matter. Here Come Those Tears Again, My Opening Farewell (also covered by Bonnie Raitt), Fountain of Sorrow…

• GuitarBlue says:

Yes, wasn’t that song —I Can’t Make You Love Me, the one that Hollie sang well, but the message in the song got her eliminated that week?

• kcostell says:

She sang it well, but it was sandwiched between three of the best performances of the season. That was one week where “sang well” wasn’t good enough.

42. Jon says:

Oops I Did It Again for break up

43. GuitarBlue says:

Idol is renewed for next year, but expected to be 3 to 4 weeks shorter for season 14 — and go to a one night per week format.

• Lynn says:

I think this is a wise move by Fox. I don’t think the viewers who have been watching the show for the last 11,12, 13 years like I have won’t recognize Idol next year. I think with all the issues Idol had this year with poor producer decisions like sending people home before they had a chance to sing, getting the judges to be more generous with their praise, and saving a contestant who has trouble connecting have really hurt the show’s ratings. And, of course, the lack of performance ability for most of the contestants. When you have a contestant that either won’t or can’t sing in tune place sixth, it’s a bad year. And before anyone says Lazaro or Sanjaya, who ranks season 6 or 12 as one of the best?

• AprilD says:

They pretty much screwed up last season by making it about judges and not contestants (I didn’t watch in protest). This season they struck out by lowering the ages of their contestants. What happened to 26, 27, 28 year olds, or were they officially too old according to rules this year? Yes, you can’t count out a young savant but those are more rare than this show tends to think.

• Jill Moya says:

Fox is a true glutton for punishment! This show has run it’s course. Whoever wins this year is a joke and Harry, who was charming at first is a complete jerk! He needs to go judge at an old folks home for elder statement music!

44. Kevin says:

I would love to hear Jessica sings some Linda Ronstadt songs — Hurt So Bad, You’re No Good, Heart like a Wheel, etc — these are definitely break-up songs and she would just kill some of them.

Oddly, now that I think about it, I don’t think I have heard any Ronstadt songs ever on Idol.

45. Syb says:

Florence + the Machine does a version of Addicted to Love that would suit Jena’s voice and style to a tee.

46. Virg says:

How about Ellie Goulding – Explosions?
    Also, Sam Smith – Stay With Me. Big fan of new Brit artists :-)

• Jaszy says:

I really dig Explosions, but you didn’t mention for whom’s voice you thought it would suit.

• Virg says:

Oh, definitely Jena! The smoky/raspy quality of her voice fits the song, especially with the big wail that Ellie does for the chorus :-)

• Jaszy says:

That would be a wonderful song choice for Jena! Too bad, the songs that they will sing probably won’t be as creative.
          If Jessica is doing You and I by Lady Gaga…..yawn…I’m tired of that song already.
          Jena and Jessica are my horses in the race to the finish line. It would be awesome if they were the final two..
          Hopefully, the recent Caleb slight towards his “retard” fans will make some of the difference between one of my girls leaving or staying.

• Virg says:

Yeah, I don’t really understand the hype slash love for Caleb. His straight-up rock performances, to me, are almost unidentifiable from each other. Without that whole I-dropped-the-mic thing, I wouldn’t really remember that one. Maybe I’m just not a fan of all-out rock.
            I do hope Jena goes far out with her choice. Her performances from the past two weeks have been quite questionable (compared to the previous ones) to me, and I really want her to be in the finale. She needs a moment, whatever that is now (thanks to JLo).

• CM says:

Sorry, “Stay With Me” forever belongs to Josh Kaufman of The Voice lol

47. Jaszy says:

I said it once, I’ll say it again: Jessica should sing “Rewind” by Diane Birch, or her own original song “Done”.
    Man, I just looove Diane Birch and I think Jessica would sound absolutely amazing singing one of Birch’s songs. Their voices are so similar!
    Other suggestions for Jess: “How Do You Sleep” by Orianthi, “So Sorry” by Feist, OR….any Diane Birch song (duhhh!)

I also really love Jena and I think she would sound great singing Sky Ferreira’s “Sad Dream,” or Lissie’s “In Sleep,” or Demi Lovato’s “Mistake.”

48. My Krav is Bettah says:

I was thinking “It Will Rain”-Bruno Mars for Jena. With her on the piano.

49. becca says:

If there are duets, i would like to hear caleb and jess do “If I close my eyes forever” lita ford and ozzy! Its a good rock song

50. becca says:

Good Break Up song “the break up song” by greg kinn lol or other good ones are:
    1. I want to know what love is by foreignor
    2.open arms journey, and that would be a makeup song
    3.Jar of hearts,
    4.In and out of love bon jovi that could be break up or make up lol
    5.You make me feel brand new, old song but I love it
    6. Broken by amy lee of evenescence and seether would also be a great duet
    7. What do you want from me by Adam Lambert would be a break up song
    8. whats that one? I cant live if livin is without you? by Nilson I think its a Beautiful song