The Voice Top 10 Results Recap: Did the Right Contestants Get Cut This Week?

The Voice - Season 6Kids say the darndest things, as the old expression goes, but so do contestants and coaches on Season 6 of The Voice.

Tonight’s Top 10 results telecast found Bria Kelly declaring her desire to subsist solely on a variety of cheeses, Usher confessing that he likes to cook in his underwear (as if we didn’t already suspect from his torso an aversion to deep-fried foods) and Shakira, in her infinite blurt-iness, sharing this gem: “I can wiggle all the things, but not my ears.”

RELATED | It’s Official: Gwen Stefani to Coach The Voice Season 7; Christina Aguilera Back for Season 8

Snap prediction: If “Empire” doesn’t crack Billboard’s Top 10 by mid-May, expect Shaki to release a bonus single, produced by Wyclef, with her aforementioned bon mot as its chorus. I can wiggle all the things, but not my ears/ Let me wiggle away all your doubts and fears/ I can wiggle all the things, but not my ears/ Wiggle wiggle wiggle let me make this clear…

RELATED | The Voice Top 10 Performance Recap: Murder by (Adam’s Phone) Numbers

Fret not: I won’t quit my day job to become a lyricist. But we’re not here to talk about Shakira’s musical fortunes, anyway. Rather, let’s discuss the fate of the 10 singers attempting to follow in the footsteps of Jermaine Paul — right up to (and not seven seconds beyond) the season finale.

Here’s how the Top 10 results played out:

Saved by America (in chronological order)
Christina Grimmie
Sisaundra Lewis
Kristen Merlin
Josh Kaufman
Audra McLaughlin
Delvin Choice
Jake Worthington

This Week’s Bottom 3
Tess Boyer
Bria Kelly
Kat Perkins

Last Chance Performances
Bria Kelly: Heart’s “Crazy on You” — Grade: C | Doctor, is it possible to be allergic to a person’s vocal tone? Bria went crazy, crazy on the affected growlization, and it was no bueno.

Tess Boyer: Pink’s “Who Knew?” — Grade: B | Yeah, I heard some nerves creep in on the verses, but her lower register remains delectable, and those big notes at the end were purdy. Still, Tess left the window open, and climbing right on through came…

Kat Perkins: Grace Potter and the Nocturnals’ “Paris (Ooh La La)” — Grade: A- | Kat was the only member of this week’s Bottom 3 who didn’t let a hint of abject terror inform her performance. The vocal was ferocious, the stage presence was rock-star authentic, and my allegiance to Tess got rocked in the process, resulting in the following series of ridiculous tweets…

With about a minute left on the clock, Carson Daly killed the suspense and revealed Kat had amassed 58% of the vote (compared to 22% for Tess and 20% for Bria). Hrmmm…wonder how that was gonna turn out?

Before the Twitter polls closed, Adam promised that if Kat was saved, he would reverse the typical Voice trend of the “Saved” contestant getting ousted the following week. I almost believe he can make it happen.

Saved By America
Kat Perkins

Eliminated
Tess Boyer
Bria Kelly

What did you think of the Top 10 week results? Did the right contestant get saved? Sound off in the comments! And for all my reality TV-related news, interviews and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

The Voice: Advice and Dream Set Lists for the Season 6 Top 10 Contestants

1. Beth T says:

I was disappointed that both Tess and Kat were in the bottom three – tough call (though I did #VoiceSave Kat myself) I just don’t get Jake – so out of tune so much of the time…

• Adake says:

I think that is Blake’s country vote coming into play for Jake. Some people will vote for likeable contestant over best voice. It will be interesting to see of he keeps getting saved if his performances don’t improve.

• Lena says:

Blake’s reaction made it seem like he only cared that Jake went through. I hope he doesn’t screw over Sisaundra to try to keep his country singers. Some people already feel like that is what he is doing. There is no way Jake can go up against team Adam and win. Sisaundra won’t win either (only because of Christina’s ridiculously large fan base), but she can still give them a good competition. Also, did anyone notice the large amount of times they show Jake on clips? Even on Youtube when they have a Team Blake video, Jake receives more time than anyone.

• ULTIMATUM says:

Jake has a more appealing personality as a television character…. if you were NBC, you’d be focusing on him, too! He’s so lovable and quite funny sometimes.

• Katherine says:

Well one thing about Jake, he is on the The Voice and all you are doing is bashing him behind your e-mail….at least he is trying to make something of himself and not out doing drugs…go Jake.

• Angel says:

I guess we all have our own opinions but I feel Jake is a great singer with a great voice.I’m sure Blake does his best with all of his singer’s.I feel some people seem a bit worried about Jake and typing their complaints in when I’m sure you can’t sing near as good as any of them.

• Katherine says:

Are you an artist? Can you sing? Have you ever been on stage at age 17 in front of millions of people sharing your dream????

• Dusty says:

It’s called “The Voice”, not “The Personality”. Jake should have been gone this week without question. He was out of tune during the entire song. I could hardly listen to the whole performance I felt so bad for him. I expected the coaches to give him praise for making so far and let it lie, but they didn’t…. Don’t get it. He should be gone, Bria or Tess were by far the better voices.

2. Jobless says:

Would rather have seen Jake go home and Tess stick around but given that was never likely to happen I am ok with the results tonight.

3. Ana Andrade says:

While I was expecting Tess’s elimination, she did not deserve to go home over others (cough*Jake*cough).
    Watching Bria’s trajectory on the show was sad. I feel like this experience will discourage her from continuing to pursue a career in music. I hope that’s not true though and wish her the best.

• Wendy says:

She also didn’t win America’s Got Talent. I don’t think it will discourage her. Maybe it will encourage her to work with a vocal coach. She has the raw ability. She just needs some tweaking.

• Ana Andrade says:

True

• Blank Slate says:

Tweaking? What? Her goat wwwwwaaaarrrrbllle? Nice hair but she thinks she can sing more than she -can- sing. Was disappointed for Tess who has true talent but… someone has to go on these crazy shows. You’d think there’s room for only one Top Voice in the world.

;)

• Adake says:

Angie gave great advice last night on this blog for Bria. Hope she takes it because Bria is talented!

• Angie_Overrated says:

Bria is good. And she loves music, so she’ll be fine. The ones who love it are the ones most likely to improve dramatically with training. She’ll be more than fine.

• M says:

She was also blessed with NBC making her look like one of the more marketable contestants with all the bits of hype they gave her so someone may even want to scoop her up
          She’s not a bad singer at all, just isn’t singing the right way I’d say.

• Colton Smith says:

is this the same angie who said she was terrible and now she is good??

• Angie_Overrated says:

I said she needs a lot of vocal work. Her voice as it is now is not acceptable, no. But she’ll get there. And she’s got time on her side.

• Adake says:

Ana, I agree about Bria. After the blinds, I would have guessed she and Christina were the ones to beat. The comments seemed to support it. Hopefully Bria will keep trying to improve her craft because she is talented. It’s just a tough business with so many great vocalists/performers.

• aud says:

Bria’s audition was great, but I felt like she was never quite that good again.

• ULTIMATUM says:

That’s because she’s a blues singer, and that was the one and only time she was allowed to be authentically blues.

• grumpyoldman says:

Yeah, like, what happened Monday night? Usher gave her that Avril Levine song to perform, then all the coaches just dumped on her for not singing something bluesy. Even Usher seemed to criticize her for picking that song, when he was the one who gave it to her. WTF?

4. Bonquisha says:

I’m going to miss Bria!

• Terry says:

I’ll miss her, but not her singing. heh. It seemed like she could see somewhere off stage that Kat was saved. Right before Carson announced the results she pointed at Tess and said “you and me”.

5. MAB says:

I hate the song Ooh La La but Kat made me love it. I voted for her save like crazy.

6. Max says:

What I find quite interesting that, at least according to the IQ test, Shakira is a genius (140 IQ)… As a mentor, she is not the best .__.

• Kaba says:

Being a genius doesn’t mean you’re capable of working with others to bring out their own genius. It just means you’re smart lol. Not some musical messiah that could make a crowd of half-dead ducks win the show.

• AlyB says:

That doesn’t necessarily translate into common sense or the ability to tap into what works to influence others.

• Adake says:

I also remember during the blinds that Shakira bragged about all her millions of twitter followers. Well they don’t seem to be voting for her contestants. I still think she made a fundamental mistake trying to outdo Blake on country (even recruiting Miranda as coach) instead of sticking to her latin roots. His followers probably will never vote for a Shakira contestant over Blake’s team. Just my opinion.

• Blank Slate says:

When they do the final Viewer Save break/cut to commercials, each celeb coach runs to his cell phone to do cheerleading. Is it my eyes or is Shakira the only one who sits there and does nada? Didn’t she promise she would do everything she could for her artists/team? I don’t know what everything means in her book but she’s not doing it.

• Zenith Tim says:

I think that her Twitter account is run by some of her staff, so they are tweeting the saving tweets instead of her, while each of the other coaches is writing his tweets himself.

• Anna Leah says:

You shouldn’t write about things you partially know, my friend. Check out Shakira’s twitter account. There are about five or six tweets and rt for saving Tess (check out her instagram, too). Moreover, everybody complains about her song choices, even Michael S did. But hey! Where the hell are your ears? TESS CHOSE THAT PARAMORE SONG.

• Name That Tune says:

Shakira’s IQ only matters if she is coaching math. The parts of the brain that gets math also gets music. But that doesn’t mean the people she is coaching share this gift.

7. Kaba says:

Sad to see Bria go, but oh boy was it her time to leave.
    Hopefully she’ll take the time to work on the kinks and cruds that are apart of her voice and fix it. She’s not a bad singer, but those growls accompanied with her poor grasp of her actual voice just were no bueno.
    Perplexed as to why Kat was even there at the bottom considering she outsold the crap out of Delvin to my knowledge. Meh, now that the curse is on her I have a hard time seeing her sing her way out of it.
    Now that Usher can finally just focus on Josh I expect him in the finale and hopefully winning.
    Kristen Merlin…I can honestly see in the finale too.
    Based off of just iTunes sales alone? I see the finale composed of Josh, Christina, and Kristen.
    Why? If we assume that they all stay at the level of best we’ve seen them at and beyond they’ll simply out iTunes everyone else.
    ___________________________________
    *Solely based on iTunes Sales*
    People I see leaving next week? Kat (simply because I can’t see her breaking the curse) and….idk something composed of either Audra or Delvin tbh.
    Assuming the typical do-gooders don’t suddenly tank.
    I see Sisaundra singing for the save.

• Angie_Overrated says:

It’ll be interesting to see what Adam has up his sleeve for next week with Kat. I believed him when he said he’s gonna break the curse. Maybe it’s wishful thinking as Kat is my favorite, but I’m going into this with an open mind.
      Jake, Delvin and Audra are the next level of vulnerable. Josh and Sisaundra are also eventually vulnerable. The only untouchables right now seem to be Christina and Kristen.

• analythinker says:

Kat. Is. My. Favorite. So Adam can NOT mess up the song choice for her next week.

I honestly believe there’s no curse. People expect greatness out of someone they saved so it justifies their action. If the person did not deliver, it would bring regrets, which would lead to those people not saving them for the second time.

• Kaba says:

Hmm. I’m not sure I’d put Josh in Sisaundra territory of vulnerability. I feel as though people find him much more refreshing than Sisaundra and it helps that his voice, I think, is pretty similar to Usher’s in that it’s smooth and silky yet powerful when it needs to be.
        I’d say if he is vulnerable, it’s by very little in comparison to the rest. Especially since “This Is It” sold better than I was expecting. I was worried he’d be in the bottom tonight prior to midnight.

• Angie_Overrated says:

But there’s the perception that Josh is “lesser” kind of like how Tess was eliminated before her time for a similar reason. Rarely do saved contestants make it far. Will pulled out a hat trick last season, but he had a few breakout performances to do so. Both Josh and Sisaundra need a Dream On or Summertime moment to seal the deal. And those two both have to hope Kat, Delvin, Audra, and “__” don’t figure out how to do it first. (I borrowed a page from your CJ playbook) The only two who can sit around and fart and play patty cakes with the band and still advance are Kristen and Christina.

• Kaba says:

I believe Josh can do the Will Champlin and win so long as he stays within that soulful wheelhouse of his. Hell, I think he can do better than Champlin really.
            Sisaundra…her vocal aggressiveness will be her downfall at this rate. I’m just not sure my heart, or anyone’s, can deal with a subdued Sisaundra. I only feel at peace when I’m being bombarding when it comes to her.
            Audra has becoming fodder in my eyes for some odd reason.
            Jake’s a huge waste of space
            Kat…let’s pray she breaks the curse
            Delvin…if he keeps up what he did last night he can be in the semi-final or even the finale so long as he doesn’t beat out Josh >.>

• Angie_Overrated says:

Yeah, I have no idea what Blake is doing with Sisaundra. It’d be like having a PhD candidate from MIT doing high school algebra. I mean, why squander such talent? It makes no sense. He’s pretty savvy with the iTunes stuff, so I’m sure he noted her weak showing. He knows he needs to step it up with her, so we’ll see what next week holds. So bummed I’ll be in Europe next week. I really need her and Kat to make it another week and I can’t do my part!

• Adake says:

Angie, thought it was interesting tonight that Adam seemed to suggest he would really listen to his contestants wishes going forward. Think Christina picking an excellent song and interpretation by her gave him new appreciation for his contestants. We shall see. Although I think it depends on how experienced and talented the performer is. I too hope Adam and Kat pick the right song next week – have liked Kat since the blinds. She killed it during the instant save.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Kat knows her own voice really well and has a lot of stage experience. I’m sure she has a few more tricks up her sleeve. I’m just wondering if she needs to go big next if that’s a trick she already has up her sleeve? I think she kind of has to go for a calculated risk. Nothing else is going to work for her at this point. Too bad she couldn’t have saved Paris for next week cuz that was so so good.

• The Beach says:

I agree with you that Christina is basically untouchable but I’m not so sure about Kristen. I would tend to put Josh in that category instead.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I guess i”m counting on a very strong country vote, which I think Kristen is the best of the 3 country singers. She’s from MA which might hurt her, and she doesn’t have the power of Audra, but she’s so reliably consistent. I see the voters getting behind her with a lot of crossover votes from non-southern states. Hell, I’ve even sent a few votes her way. I like both her and Audra.

• Adam Fachry says:

Do underdogs have as god a trajectory on The Voice as they are on Idol? Even though Kristen is the best country singer, would her under-the-radar status help her in the long run?

• BrewsterFly says:

She has consistantly outsold the other country artists too! I’ve purchased both of her singles…the only artist I’ve done that for… Now, as long as she gets votes from the traditional venues…!

• Angie_Overrated says:

@Adam, not usually, but this season is weird cuz I don’t think we’ve ever seen anyone get so screwed by the producers who has made it this far. Besides Kristen’s obvious talent, she’s benefiting from a backlash against the perceived (and real) slams of Burnett et al. Normally the winner is pretty obvious by this stage, or if it’s not obvious, it’s not shocking at the end. This season is wide bleepin’ open. I think any one of them can win except for Jake.

• analythinker says:

Do not count out Blake’s team yet…

• Kaba says:

If Audra does what she did last week, next week, she’ll probably be in the bottom. If Blake dares strap Sisaundra with anything that reminds the show that she’s 44. It’s a good chance that she’s in danger. I have this feeling she’s gonna be singing Tina Turner next week.

• analythinker says:

I wasn’t talking about their voices respectively… the country fans still voted Jake in regardless…. ya know…

• Kaba says:

And I was talking about their performances. Audra’s performance last week didn’t even get her into the top 100 on itunes. Same with Sisaundra if I recall correctly.
            If they give the same caliber of performance as last week, next week they’ll be in trouble. There are 8 left and 4 of them really do not appear as though they’ll have any trouble garnering votes next week.
            Jake’s got his personality
            Kristen, Christina, and Josh have their voice.
            Audra, Sisaundra, Kat, and Delvin….slippery slope for them from the looks of it.

• Sara says:

Kaba, How much do the Itunes placement matter if they don’t crack the top 10 though? Kat was the 4th highest on Itunes last night and she was in the bottom 3. It seems that this year people are really using the other voting methods.

• Kimbo says:

Or that Kat doesn’t have a strong fanbase outside of the itunes.
            One individual doesn’t really say much at this point.
            As they have typically been this early in the show, the itunes still stand as a means to make predictions.

• Sara says:

Kimbo, I disagree to a point. Both weeks Delvin has been pretty close to the bottom of the itunes sales and yet clearly hasn’t been bottom 3. Sisaundra also was pretty close to the bottom of the Itunes last week, and again, not bottom 3. And Itunes haven’t always been the be all, end all when it comes to predicting where people place. Granted, I believe Season 2 did not have the bonus for top 10, but one reason it was such a shock that Jermaine won was because he never seemed to place that well on Itunes compared to some of the others (namely Juliette Simms and Tony Lucca).

• Katherine says:

That is right….Blakes’ team may just surprise everyone…

8. Kaba says:

Still perplexed, why would you even be torn between Tess and Kat? Tess obviously got out-sung and she was already in the bottom last week. She’d just continue to be next week.

9. Adake says:

Not really a surprising result but feel bad for those going home. Tess and Bria kind of knew it all thru the show. Glad that Kat was saved – she did give the best performance during instant save. It’s going to only get harder from here on in. Showing the results of tweets before the final person saved is dumb. Kills all the suspense unless it’s close. Once again, Adam and Blake have all three contestants with Shakira and Usher down to one each. They have a built in advantage so will be interesting to see if any other judge can attract a big enough voice to ever beat out both Blake and Adam.

• Kaba says:

Kind of makes me wish they would just take a break (well..you know my case with Adam haha), but they’re pretty much the staple of the show. People love them some Shevine and contestants tend to gravitate toward them so…meh. At least the better contestants of the pack do. If one of them wins this season, which will probably happen, I hope Pharrell of Gwen knocks’em down a peg or two.

• Adake says:

Kaba, I actually agree with you. If a member of Blake’s team or Adam’s team wins this season, it might be best for this show if both Adam and Blake take a break for just one season. Otherwise they will keep getting the best talent in a vicious cycle. As much as I like Adam (but respect your right to disagree), will be interesting to see if rumors of his leaving show are true or just negotiating ploy. I know Blake once said he would go if Adam did.

• Kaba says:

I feel as though I wouldn’t have grown so tired of the show as the result of only watching them two taking it home if other coaches would win. CeeLo was robbed season 2…well Juliet Simms was and personally I felt Usher ought to have won season 4.
          A little variety makes the show more interesting and that would honestly be the reason why the show fails in the eyes of viewers soon. The show has focused so much more energy on the coaches, Blake and Adam particularly, that if they left the show could possibly die. Which I’d rather it wouldn’t…but Adam and Blake are honestly holding the show together.

• Adam Fachry says:

If it were up to me, Blake would have never won a single season. Though I didn’t watch season 2 thoroughly, some performances I’ve seen of Juliet Simms were enough to crown her the true winner. Amanda Brown trumped over Cassadee Pope (and all of the top 4 imo), and Michelle Chamuel losing over Danielle Blandberry was a disgrace. If he does a great job with Sisaundra, she might make the most deserving winner to come out of his team yet.

10. Carola says:

Finally Bria left! It was about time. Over rated since the beginning..
    Thank God Kat was saved, she killed that! Hope Adam can make her stay till the end.

BTW Usher lost two people in a row! Goes to show you he made a totally wrong decision by sending Stevie Jo home. That kid had so much potential. What could have been. I am not sold on Josh.

Now I want Christina to win! She was phenomenal!

11. NotVirgin Mary says:

I was genuinely surprised Kat was in the bottom 3. She was in 4th on the iTunes chart. Hm…

• Adake says:

Just shows itunes sales don’t always represent votes at this stage of game.

• Patrick says:

No, Christina Grimmie was 4th on iTunes.

• Patrick says:

Oh, unless you meant 4th out of the voice singers, thought you meant spot on the charts. Anyway, I’m surprised Jake wasn’t in the bottom 3.

• analythinker says:

Again, me with the theories… I think most of Kat’s friends are musicians (or at least rabid music fans who actually buy music), so it showed on her iTunes placement. BUT musician friends don’t have a lot of time to do online/phone voting, this is more regular fans’ area… so…

12. danin says:

It’s lyricist not lyracist,Michael Slezak.Maybe you already caught that.I take you to task as you are a writer. I did love Kat’s Oo La La, I voted for her.I voted for Bria too. Never liked Tess completely. GO HOME JAKE!

• Katherine says:

Why should Jake go home? He has the right as everyone that is and has been on The Voice to have a chance at a dream….

13. AlyB says:

Kat slayed that song and left it bloody in the stage. She deserved the save. I wish Jake had been sent packing instead of Tess. Who the heck is voting for him anyway? He’s like the CJ of The Voice. Can’t sing in tune but keeps getting voted through. When he cried about being away from home my 1st thought was we should fix that for him and send him back. He’s like a huge overgrown child and rather than find that endearing, it’s just icky.

• Katherine says:

Whose voting for Jake???? Hummm lets see, all his friends, family, school, the city he is from is behind him all the way. How many young people at the age of 17 is on the any stage trying to make singing his dream????American also have young people trying to make music their dream so don’t bash them so harshly.

14. Carole Stevens says:

Can’t believe Kat was in bottom 3! She’s been killing it lately! Her voice is like Ann Wilson’s from Heart! So glad Kat was saved!

15. Annie says:

Super sad about Bria leaving. Wild Horses is one of my favourite performances this season. Usher made a mistake choosing TJ and Bria over Melissa and Stevie Jo

16. Nooo…Jake needed to go…along with Bria.

• Katherine says:

Why did Jake need to go. He is just like the rest of the contestants..He has a dream and he is trying for it. If he makes it that is great and if he doesn’t he has had an opportunity that millions of young men of his age has dreamed of being able to do.

• Viajero says:

Jake deserved to go because he gave the second worst performance this week, just like he’d given the second worst performance last week. Tess outsang him by a considerable margin both weeks. Don’t her dreams count too?

17. Chablis says:

Question to no one in particular, when will America stop combining names? It’s juvenile and annoying. Worse when it’s two guys or girls.

Sorry rant over.

18. Random says:

My hopes for Tess died the moment Kat belted that first verse. She simply out sung the other two.

19. Kaba says:

So I’m guessing I’m the only one who really liked Team Usher’s group performance?

20. Name This Tune says:

Kat – that is how you move to a song and draw the audience in.

That’s a performance, and a performer.

21. Jeff Marley says:

I loved their performance!!! Except it almost sounded like Usher was straining a lot and I felt that Josh EASILY!!! Out sang the other two!!! :)

22. Angie_Overrated says:

Can we all agree that Jake needs to go now? How do we make this happen? If he outlasts Kat (which he will), I will spontaneously implode. He reminds me of the Swon Brothers where I never paid attention because I always assumed they’d be out next, and they somehow made it to the finale. Please let’s make sure that doesn’t happen again.

• NotVirgin Mary says:

The country vote is annoying. I swear, if Jake actually makes it to the finale, I will pour my chamomile tea all over my computer and take a break from the internet.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I will demand the south secede from the union and they can have their own The Voice for South US. Desperate times call for desperate measures.
        On a more serious note, I actually can get into some country singers. I loved Kree last year even more than I liked Candice on Idol, and I genuinely like Kristen and Audra. But Jake? WHY?! He can’t sing!

• AlyB says:

I think a lot of the hard core country voters buy into the whole “he represents us down-home folk” schtick Blake keeps laying down so thick every time Jake performs. He went from just saying how authentic and what a real deal Jake was to flat out claiming he represented everyone in America that wasn’t in New York or L.A. As someone from the Chicago area, I can attest that he doesn’t speak for me. He’s taken to playing up Jake’s roots over his singing ability but it appears to be working. At least the Swon Brothers could actually carry a tune.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Maybe that’s why I’m so violently opposed? The last 15 years of my life have been spent in NYC and LA. lol Jake sucks!!! And honestly if I ever lived in Salt Lake City or Austin or whatever, I’m pretty sure I’d still say he sucks. I like my singers to be in tune.

• Kimbo says:

Am I the only one who almost felt a synapse snap with Blake made that lofty statement about Jake? Why is it that country is associated with this “just a simple folk living my life” blah blah blah nonsense?
            He represents the country stereotype, cool. He does not represent the entire country minus two of the most populous cities in the US

• Terry says:

But Jake can wiggle his ear. LOL.

• Adam Fachry says:

Agreed to all of your points and I’d also like to add how cliche his whole package is. Like the cowboy hat he’s wearing, even though western-inspired style is back in trend, the way Jake dressed just screams gimmicky. I would be fine if he wore a more laid-back outfit with plaid shirts and jeans or t-shirt like this year’s country trio on Idol did all season. But wearing an ensemble that looks more like a costume? Just no.

Can you carry a tune?

• HTGR says:

+1000

• The Beach says:

Face it, Blake will say basically anything to keep his team. When Jake finished singing and Blake said he was technically perfect all I could do was shake my head and curse the TV.

• Katherine says:

Can you carry a tune??? So if you make sure before you bash someone who is trying and isn’t afraid to stand up for his dream.

Can you sing????

• Katherine says:

Well I hope you just do that with your tea….!!!!

• Katherine says:

I do hope you spill your tea all over the place….!!!!

• Kaba says:

It’s gotten to the point where I’m kind of hoping he says something earth-shatteringly messed up and not politically correct so he gets sent home on a mandate.
      I know, I know, I’m wrong for feeling this way, but it’d be evil if he outlasted anyone else at this point. Exactly as evil as it was to watch The Snore Bros get to the finale or see Jermaine Paul win season 2.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Like the overweight country boy did in season 1? He was a 4 chair turnaround then made a really gross comment about one of the underage sisters from the sisters duo on Ceelo’s team. He was summarily dismissed in the next round. Carson was all like, “um… I think she’s 15, dude.”

• Kaba says:

LOL season 1. I barely remember it.
          I just remember the the semi-finalists and it practically being the Javier Colon show.
          I think the 4-chair guy was on Adam’s team though, right? Can’t remember his name whatsoever.

• Kaba says:

That being said I just need him gone. He’s CJ without the HCJr to sit there and explain to him how to sing in tune

• Iris says:

that is ridiculous! Jake is a great kid and has an awesome voice! Shame on you!

• Katherine says:

Thank you for standing up for Jake. I know him and he is an honest young man. Trying for his dream which most of the people who are bashing him arn’t doing. But talking trash.

• Katherine says:

Wish you were on the show and someone could say such things about you. How would you feel?? Have you ever tried to do something and have been discouraged by someone…shame on you. It hurts

• Glen says:

We get it already- he’s trying for his dream, which is admirable. But the show is called “The Voice”, and Jake’s just isn’t good enough to justify having gotten this far into the competition. No one is saying he isn’t a lovely person, but this show isn’t supposed to be who wins “Mr. Congeniality”.

• Angel says:

Glen you wrong in my opinion for I feel Jake sings really good.Yes the show is called the voice and it has the voice unlike you i’m sure.

• Max says:

The Swon (Snore) Brothers, to be fair, improved the last few weeks. I don’t see that happenign with Jake

• Dee says:

Yes it’s time! He honestly can’t hide anymore so I see him being gone next week with Kat finally breaking the dreaded curse!

• Katherine says:

Shame on you for calling Jake an over grown child. He is honest about his feelings. What does matter if he showed some tears. Don’t need to bash him for you nothing of the young man..

• Katherine says:

Well the folks who are voting for Jake is going to be even stronger next week….

• Katherine says:

Nope not everyone will agree with you on that fact my friend.

23. danin says:

How discouraging is it for the other coaches when Blake&Adam predictably prevail season after season.Or do you think it doesn’t bother them all that much.I guess this is one of the shows weaknesses

• Davey says:

Except Usher did well battling against Blake during their last season together. I still think Michelle Chamuel should have won against country singer Bradbury or whatever her name was.

• Dee says:

Yea we all know Usher was robbed last year cause Michelle Chamuel was lightyears better!!!

• Glen says:

Danielle Bradbury was the female Jake- a singer who had a very limited range, never sang a song that challenged her, and cruised to victory based solely on her age and her “aw shucks” personality.

24. Toni says:

They are great coaches. Give a lot back outside the show.

25. Emmy says:

Sad to see Tess go, thought it should have been Jake to leave with Bria, but Kat absolutely killed it. That was actually one of my favorite performances so far this season.

26. Annie says:

Are you sure that Shakira didn’t actually say “I can wiggle other things” and not “all the things”? With her accent they would sound pretty close and “other things” makes more sense.

27. Emmy says:

I also need to add, and this has nothing to do with the recap really, that Blake is an absolute moron for not turning his chair for Kristen in the beginning. But I gotta say, her and Shakira make a wonderful coaching pair.

28. David says:

Tess should not have been going home this early. Christina really is growing on me though. She really stepped it up this week. If American Idol had talented contestants like these – and no the contestants on Idol are NOT as talented as this group on The Voice- ang got ris of J Lo and Harry it might actually be enjoyable again.

29. Tim says:

Michael, the chorus to your proposed Shakira song is still better than the chorus to “I Luh Ya Papi”… so maybe you do have a future as a lyricist. ;)

30. Carola says:

The Swon Brothers were awesome!! What are you guys talking about? Plus they are making it big in country music now… Their debut single is climbing the charts steadily!
    I loved them in their season and I am so happy for their success..

31. Kaba says:

Hey, hey.
    Remember how we thought Kristen was fodder?
    Now one could argue she’s going to coast all the way to the finale?
    Funny, right?
    Also is funny how we had Tess as Shakira’s only hope.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Lol yup. I remember seeing where Slezak had Tess and was like “nope, not gonna happen.”
      Just looked it up. Here were Slezak’s final 12 rankings (from worst to best)
      12) Kristen (ha!)
      11) Bria
      10) TJ
      9) Kat
      8) Audra
      7) Dani
      6) Delvin
      5) Christina
      4) Tess
      3) Jake
      2) Sisaundra
      1) Josh
      Looks like the only 2 he got very wrong are Kristen and Tess. But to be honest, I never expected Kristen to be a break-out star either. Kind of a pleasant surprise. But if she beats out Kat, I’ll be less complimentary. And if he’s right about Jake making it to the finals, I will barf all over myself profusely.

• analythinker says:

Michael predicted Kristen going all the way since the first live show.

• The Beach says:

Well, it sure looks like Mark Burnett did everything he could to make sure she was fodder…jokes on him.

• Glen says:

Am I the only one who wonders if Kristen would still be on the show if her mic hadn’t cut out last week? Not to say she doesn’t have talent, but she seemed to be on no one’s radar, but once the mic issue happened, everyone seemed to rally around her.

32. M says:

Since elimination history is repeating itself again then we can see Kat and Delvin being sent home packing next week, Audra/Sisaundra taking a leap at the top 6, and…who the hell knows for the semi-finals since Grimmie is guaranteed a spot in the finale at this point (which I’m wanting).
    Though, if s4 history is repeating itself again and Jake somehow wins I will actively work to help develop a machine that cuts the entire south off from the rest of the US and sends them floating into the middle of the Atlantic.

• T says:

Hey, it’s not us voting for the dude…

• Iris says:

you are ridiculous! He sings from the heart and we are supporting him all the way! Shame on you! Our boy from Texas deserves to have his dreams come true just as any of the rest of the competitors.

• pasty says:

All this talk about what a wonderful artist christina grimmie is. guess what she borrowed that pop version from” pia mia” who post it on youtube august 23, 2013. Her vocal are hers alone, the idea and arrangement not so much

• Katherine says:

Well it is the folks in the South who are hoping that you cut yourself off from the whole country with the machine that you are going to build if Jake wins. GO JAKE!!!!!!

33. Wendy says:

Clearly from the comments, I am in the minority. I love Country music. Even more I love classic Country music. Therefor I really like Jake. He is trying to bring the Country sound back, which admittedly is somewhat nasally. I will agree with most of you that his live songs fall off a little. His Itunes recordings are excellent. I don’t think it’s very nice that everyone is bashing him for his looks. It shouldn’t matter. He is not the CJ of The Voice. He can actually sing in tune. CJ could not. He needs more work, but he is honest in his approach. I for one root for him.

• NotVirgin Mary says:

Are you kidding? He was off-pitch for a third of the song yesterday.

• analythinker says:

I don’t see people bashing him for his looks? But anyway, regardless of genre, the others are better singers than Jake at this point, although it’s arguable, because it’ll come down to taste/preference. I’m not saying he can’t sing, but he needs more experience. And I’m not saying this about every teen in reality competitions.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Wendy, I’m an equal opportunity free agent when it comes to genre. I’m so open minded and am willing to let any singer from any genre win me over. I don’t really like rock and I’m 100% on board the Kat train this year. All of this is an elaborate way of saying that it’s not just people who don’t like country who can’t get into Jake. The kid can’t sing in tune. Yes, it’s not nearly as bad as CJ from Idol, but it’s pretty bad. No one left in the competition has any issues even remotely comparable to him. His pitch is all over the map. It’s BADDDD!!!
      If we’re gonna do a nasal country singer, let’s crown Audra. Or if we want more rock country, let’s crown Kristen, but please oh please oh please do not let Jake win.

• Wendy says:

I’m not saying he should win. I’m really not. Someone above said he looked like an Overgrown Child and it wasn’t cute, it was icky. I know he needs work, the kid is only 17. I just root for him to succeed. In no way was I saying I want him to win. I’m pretty sure Christina has this in the bag.

• Wendy says:

I read it wrong. It said he is like an overgrown child. Apologies. Other sites are bashing his looks, not this one.

• NotVirgin Mary says:

By, “root for him,” do you mean vote? That’s what I’m concerned about. He really has no business being in the top 8. And he certainly has no business going out ahead of everyone that left. I highly encourage you not to vote for him and support him after he’s gone so others more deserving have a chance for more exposure.

• Wendy says:

I didn’t vote for him this week. I voted for Audra.. she sang Reba. Couldn’t help myself. :)

• Angie_Overrated says:

Ok, I see your point. That’s not cool to say. I agree with you. It’s kind of like my undying hatred for Lena Dunham. I get sad when someone calls her a “cow” or whatever other insult because what we should really be focusing on is how she’s a fundamentally horrible person with no talent. Those types of personal insults muddle the message.

• Wendy says:

Yeah I see her getting bashed a lot for her looks. I don’t watch Girls. So I don’t know a lot about her. Just what I’ve read or heard. She truly sounds like a horrible person.

• AlyB says:

I said it though it was not in reference to his looks but his demeanor. As long as Blake keeps putting it out there as a reason we should all vote for him, it’s fair game to discuss it. Granted, “icky” was a poor choice of words. Let me change that to rather than finding his demeanor endearing, I find him irritating.

• ElleKay says:

I’ve always liked Jake too, but don’t think he’s quite ready for prime time. I still hear pitch issues in his live performances and he still needs a few years of work, but he’s gonna be great when he hits his early to mid 20’s.

TBH, I think he’s made more progress than Dexter on Idol…I noticed some significant improvements in his diction, and his pitch issues are more from nerves and breath support…that’s just gonna take more time than the rest of this season.

34. Kimbo says:

Well now that The Voice is done for the week I just want to see AI song spoilers so I can determine if I want to waste my time tomorrow night watching.

• Angie_Overrated says:

lol Don’t bother. Luckily I’ll be out of the country for work for a week so I don’t have the option to waste my time. Place all my votes for Kat for me, will ya? :)

• Kimbo says:

Yes ma’am, can do.
        She better break that curse -____-
        Thank God she got past this week or she legitimately would have done no better on the show than last season’s Kat, eh ;)

• Angie_Overrated says:

Ha! Yeah, Kat P > Kat R, which might qualify as the the understatement of 2014.
          I’m afraid to look at next week’s results. Considering I like everyone besides Jake, I’m going to be disappointed no matter what.

35. Terry says:

My goodness Kat, that was impressive, that’s how you sing for your life!

36. daezyg says:

How about Blake give Sisaundra something modern to sing next week that’s still in her wheelhouse? Or at least something that’s NOT 30 years old? Maybe Jazmine Sullivan’s “Stuttering”, or Beyonce’s “I was here”, or K. Michelle’s “Can’t Raise A Man” (especially this one – she’d DISINTEGRATE it into awesomeness!), or Tamar Braxton’s “Love and War”, or Adele’s entire body of work, or hell, give her Frozen’s “Let It Go” or Paramore’s “Now” if you want an out of the box pick. Anything from 90’s till recent. There’s actually a pretty decent selection.
    ….
    The Beast Master can sing anything, but give her something in her wheelhouse next week, or something out of her wheelhouse that she can slay anyway.
    ….
    Anybody else not surprised with the results tonight? Tess has always, just always been so bland to me (sorry Tess fans). Kat really shocked me this evening. I think we may have a finalist. Bria… I wanted to like her. I really did… but that growl, man. Something just ain’t right wit dat growl. Girl sounds like she don’ hurt herself.

• Kaba says:

“Bust Your Windows”
      Would. Be. Perfect.
      Attitude, stank face, strength, drama.
      It just screams “Needs to be covered by Sisaundra”

• Adam Fachry says:

Oh my god, I’m already imagining how flawless it would be! R&B revenge songs and Sisaundra are a match made in heaven. Yes Blake, give more songs that evoke anger for her!

• Ana Andrade says:

How about Cannonball by Lea Michele? I would love it if she did Let It Go though.

• Jaszy says:

Now that you mentioned Lea Michele, I think that her song “Battlefield” would really sit well with Christina Grimmie…in simpler terms, I think Chris would kill that song!
        Lea Michele’s album is fantastic!

37. Jenny says:

It is a popularity contest!!!! Usher said it himself tonight. I don’t think Shakira deserves these “bad mentor” comments.. I mean look at Blake, he’s a great guy and all but he’s not the best coach. He’s just really like able ESP by the huge country base. Even he makes bad song choices for his team but it doesn’t matter cause he’s Blake! Adam and Blake have been there each season naturally they’ll be more popular.

Having said that, Jake And Bria deserved to go home tonight. and then Audra should go right after.. They are the weakest singers in my opinion.

• Cip says:

I’m not a country music fan buy any stretch but there’s no way you can say Audra is one of the “weakest” singers left in the competition. That girl has some pipes

• Anna Leah says:

You’re totally right. I personally think that’s all about the ”macho” culture. I mean, I love Blake personality, he’s the funny guy and that’s all. Usher, uhmmm…. I’ve found him so cocky! and Adam… yeah, a hot and talented guy.

But then everybody focus on the woman’s mistakes. This time is Shakira, last time was Christina… always the same.

• Jamie says:

Audra, weak? Are you kidding me. Have you been sleeping through her songs.

38. Colton Smith says:

Bria left on a high note – her save performance was a stellar
    its only the beginning for her
    even the contestants that won the show doesn’t have that
    much success but im sure bria will be a big part of
    the music industry , she is very talented
    her voice is a killer

And on a happy note – im glad kat was saved but i see that
    the save doesn’t help so much if tess was voted out
    a week after being saved
    but if not kat , my vote goes to josh!

39. BooBoo says:

Bria is Idol’s Majesty. Everyone thought Bria was the favorite to be the top 3 or 2. But she self destructed.

• Simon says:

NO!!!!! I knew Bria’s dry-heave-esque voice would only carry her so far. Majesty deserved to win the whole thing, and Idol has been boring since she and Malaya left.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I would argue it was pretty awful before Majesty and Malaya left too. Malaya did have a performance or two that was/were surprisingly good. Majesty all I remember was her prancing around the stage in shorts singing a Disney song in 5 different keys, none of which the band were in. If it weren’t so sad, I would have been laughing harder. I typically don’t find it funny when a singer humiliates him/herself, but that Majesty performance and all of CJ’s performances had me rolling. I’m officially an awful person.

40. Mori_Samuel says:

People complained last time about Shakira’s lip sync during the chorus , but this time she just knocked it off the park! I mean she sounds fantastic live unlike someone else cough cough……That track is one of the lesser know track in her album , I am glad that she didnt lip sync and sounded awesome!

41. Stacy says:

I’ve heard some rumours that there will be a triple elimination on 6th May, is this true?

42. Simon says:

Interesting how Bria and Tess were in the battle round against each other, and now they both got eliminated the same week. Same thing happened with Sasha and Amber in Season 4.

Tess was my favorite, so I’m not sure who to support now. I’ve liked Sisaundra from the beginning, but Christina, Kat, and Kristen are all growing on me. I would send home Jake and Josh next. Yeah, yeah, Josh is talented, but his voice just doesn’t do anything for me.

43. Jaszy says:

Bria would’ve been better off singing a song like Right Through You by Alanis Morissette. That song has a lot of angst and grit which Bria did very well. Too bad. I did see potential, though I never really liked her to begin with.
    As long as Christina Grimmie remains safe until she wins…then I’m fine…..

44. as says:

Bria was my favorite from the blind auditions….that’s why it’s been so disappointing to see her fall. She didn’t progress and they also seemed not to know what to do with her. Should have stayed with the Blues/rock that got her there. Why didn’t they try Bonnie Raitt?

45. Jaszy says:

OMG! What if Kat sang Forgot to Tell You by Nina Persson? It’s a fairly new song by a rather obscure artist in comparison to the mainstream crap artists of today, but I feel like that is a song that’s tailor made for a voice like Kat’s.

I can see Christina Grimmie killing a Paloma Faith song, such as Only Love Can Hurt Like This or Black and Blue. Oh man, there is an endless amount of dream songs for Chris.
    There’s the amazing Butterfly Cry by Kerli. That song is breathtakingly beautiful. Also, another song that I can just picture Grimmie killing is a song by the Norwegian artist Marion Raven called In Spite of Me. I feel like she could take that song to church with the addition of the gospel choir, the runs, the ad-libs, WOOH! I’m getting fired up!

But alas, this is just a dream that will only happen in my head….

VOTE FOR CHRISTINA GRIMMIE!

46. digiphotog says:

America made the right calls so far. The show has too much focus on coaches and not enough on who the contestants really are. I thought the phone stunt was an awful bad example for America and the copycats that will follow…Blake showed no sole and is a bad example with stunt. Usher shows little enthusiasm in his responses. Shakira is likable but a follower. Adam finally said his strategy is to listen to what his team members really want – good idea since history shows song choice can crash and burn the best of them. Sisaundra has her own Planet, and should have Planet Sisaundra in lights behind her, but she needs to sing something we want to buy. Josh is talented sole, I bought one, but then more of same. I’ve bought two of Christina’s, she is the leader at the moment, but it depends on next steps. The rest, I don’t see myself buying. Sisaundra can do Celine, but I’ll still buy Celine. So the songs chosen need to have appeal to buy. If Christina continues to go with unique artistry, she wins. If Sisaundra hits some songs we want to buy, because they are so wow and out of this world, but don’t trample sacred ground, and the develop her personality, she wins. NBC will push for the three. I think they will push for Sisaundra the most. I hope she sings some some songs out of this world that I want to buy.

47. DeeKayTee says:

Dear Michael & Malinda,

I’m feeling like AI and The Voice should get equal time on Reality Check. I love watching you two recap the episodes but honestly I pretty much only watch for The Voice recaps and to be fair to us Voice watchers out here I think splitting the time 50/50 would be best. Thank you.

Sincerely,

DeeKayTee

48. Kim says:

Listening to the bottom 3 sing made me really see why they were there. They all sounded alike – there had to be some vote splitting between the 3 rock chicks. Kat will benefit from no longer splitting votes with Bria and Tess.

• ME says:

You are right on the mark with your comment and although I liked Tess, Kat was the one that proved she deserved to stay and that she was the more consistent singer.

49. Francine says:

Did Kat mess up the lyrics? I didn’t hear it at all but a friend of mine swears up and down that she did…

50. Adam Fachry says:

Song suggestions for those I cared about:

Josh: Kelis’ “Lil Star” (Featuring Cee-Lo), Frank Ocean’s “Thinking Bout You”, Jamie Lidell’s “Little Bit of Feel Good”, The XX’s “Angels”, The Black Keys’ “Tighten Up”

Sisaundra: Massive Attack’s “Unfinished Sympathy”, Candi Staton’s “You’ve Got the Love”, Led Zeppelin’s “Black Dog”, Tom Waits’ “Anywhere I Lay My Head”, Janelle Monae’s “Givin ‘Em What They Love” (Featuring Prince), Tune-Yards’ “Powa”

Kat: Sleater-Kinney’s “Let’s Call It Love”, Yeah Yeah Yeahs’ “Gold Lions”, Patti Smith’s “Gloria”, Eurythmics’ “I Need a Man”, David Bowie’s “Space Oddity”

Christina: Tori Amos’ cover of Depeche Mode’s “Enjoy the Silence”, Alicia Keys’ “Try Sleeping with a Broken Heart”, Kate Bush’s “Running Up That Hill”, Robyn’s “Hang With Me” (Acoustic Verson).

Delvin: D’Angelo’s “One Mo’ Gin”, Talking Heads’ “Houses in Motion”, Funkadelic’s “Cosmic Slop”, Maxwell’s “Fistful of Tears”, The Undisputed Truth’s “Smiley Faces Sometimes”

• ME says:

Yes to Sisaundra singing Janelle Monet. I want to see the beast master have some fun.

• tvlover44 says:

the fact that someone in these comments mentioned ‘cosmic slop’ by funkadelic has absolutely made my day! if it came to pass on ‘the voice’ i’d be ecstatic. (and i like many of your other song suggestions, too.)