Supernatural Recap: Game of Monster Thrones -- Plus: Would You Watch Bloodlines This Fall?

Supernatural: Bloodlines RecapWelcome to monster mob city.

Tuesday’s episode of Supernatural saw the Winchesters traveling to Chicago, where five creature families rule different sections of the Windy City. But did the potential spin-off get your blood pumping?

RELATED | May Sweeps Scoopapalooza: 99+ Spoilers on Your Favorite Series’ Season-Ending Episodes

Before you weigh in, let’s review the action and players: Ennis (played by Episodes’ Lucien Laviscount) is about to propose at a fancy restaurant, which also houses a VIP monster area, when something with claws takes out not only the whole backroom of werewolves, shapeshifters, etc., but also his girlfriend. Of course, the police aren’t buying Ennis’ strange story, but Sam and Dean do, eventually giving him the birds and the bees monsters-are-real-and-we-hunt-them talk.

Elsewhere, David (Nathaniel Bozulic, a world away from the sinister Kol on The Vampire Diaries) returns from his life of living as a human – and selling test exams he acquired thanks to his handy abilities – to find that the shapeshifters and werewolves are at each other’s throats. His sister Margo (Heroes‘ Danielle Savre) thinks wolf Julian (Pretty Little Liars‘ Sean Faris) is responsible for their brother Sal’s (Pretty Little Liars’ Bryce Johnson) death at the club. She’s prepared to go to war, with the Djinn and ghouls backing her up.

Meanwhile, Julian is meeting with a Djinn to get them on his side and being a jerk to his sister Violet (Melissa Roxburgh), telling her that as the bitch of the family, her job is to be silent and pretty. (Faris seems to be having fun playing bad, but man, do I dislike this wolf.) Things get messier when Margo informs David that his ex Violet is engaged and that their dad pimped her out to the New York wolves to seal a deal. The former lovers exchange some words about that fateful day three years ago when she didn’t show up at Union Station even thought it was her idea to run away. But before they can get all their feelings out into the open, the clawed-thing attacks David – surprise, it’s Ennis who saves him, not Dean and Sam – and captures Violet.

RELATED | Supernatural: Bloodlines Spoilers — Will Sam and Dean Return to Chicago?

Supernatural Spin-Off SpoilersEnnis is not too keen on working with David – “He’s a frickin’ transformer!” he exclaims – but Dean knows, sometimes, you have to take the bad to get to the even badder. However, in this case, the evil turns out to be just a man, who lost his son in the monsters’ war. Now, he wants to start a freak-on-freak war as payback.

“I only see one monster here,” Ennis responds, shooting the man.

Freed and alive, David confronts Violet about Sal’s last words (“David… I didn’t have a choice”). Via flashback, it’s revealed that she did come to Union Station, but in order to keep the bloodline pure, Sal threatened her into leaving. “You can walk out of here alive, or I can take you out and dump what’s left of you in the lake,” he said.

Violet doesn’t tell David this, but that doesn’t stop her from kissing him, even drawing blood. That and his dad’s plea to prevent war-hungry Margo’s plans are enough to convince David to stay. He gets a hug and a “welcome back” from his sis, but she’s clearly not happy to have him around.

Then there’s poor Ennis, who can’t unknow everything he’s discovered. Sam urges him not to go after the monsters himself. “You get into this too deep, there’s no getting out,” he warns, not that it does any good. As Ennis looks over the crazy man’s board of articles, he gets a call – from his supposedly dead dad! And he’s got a message: “If you start hunting, the monsters will kill you.”

Bloodlines was definitely high on exposition, which is a necessary evil of pilots and oftentimes got in the way of allowing the characters to just breathe. But the idea of Ennis and David being unlikely allies is promising, and by golly, I need to see Violet lay the smackdown on her brother Julian at some point.

And finally, some memorable lines:

* Julian: “And I want to eat Taylor Swift’s heart, but we can’t always get what we want.”

* Dean: You’re with me, Romeo.
David: Sounds good, Buffy.

Supernatural fans, what did you think of Bloodlines? Let us know if you’ll be tuning in should it goes to series via the poll below and then hit the comments to back up your pick.

1. Tina says:

Loved it!! Can’t wait for a fall pick up. This is how a “monster” show should be. Not a bunch of cry babies or mindless plots…

• Chris52700 says:

Really? Supernatural is probably the best show on the CW, for many reasons. Its not a “monster” show, its much more than that. Bloodlines was better than it had appeared it was going to be, and it wasnt terrible.

• Marty says:

That is exactly how this episode felt to me – bunch of cry-babies (Ennis and the pair of star-crossed lovers) and mindless plots (missing dad, sympathetic monsters, warring families).

2. Dan says:

No, sorry.

3. alistaircrane says:

Hmm…I honestly thought the entire concept was a little cliched: warring families, vengeful cop, forbidden love, innocent woman killed in order to further her male partner’s angst…it just seems so paint-by-numbers. I found it hard to keep interested whenever the Winchesters weren’t on screen, which isn’t a good thing for a spinoff.
    The actor who played Ennis was dreadful. In addition to not being very good, he also has a weird accent that distracted me.
    The female characters seem pretty cliched: Violet’s the damsel in distress and Margo’s the wicked witch.
    On the plus size, Nathaniel Buzolic is hot as always, which is almost a good-enough reason to watch!

• rowan77 says:

I was just about to post the same thing. It didn’t feel fresh even though having the “mob” families be monsters is a great premise. It DID feel like they were ticking boxes (kill the girlfriend on an important night – check. Romeo and Juliet-like couple – check. Dirty cop the protagonist trusts -check. Bad girl with severe hair/make-up and clothes – check.

The lead was attractive, but a snore. I didn’t connect or care much about him at all. David, the shapeshifter in college was great, tho. Make the show about him hunting other monsters and I’d watch

• Dani says:

Yep. Extremely cliched and really boring. If they wanted to make a show that Supernatural fans would like, why would they get rid of all the things that makes Supernatural awesome? Supernatural is funny, delightfully meta. Its characters have depth (case and point: whatever the heck is going on with Sam right now). They’re throwing out everything great about Supernatural and recycling a script from pretty much any of their other shows (e.g. The Originals, Vampire Diaries, and probably also Star Crossed). CW completely missed a golden opportunity to do a cool spin off. idjits.

• Chickenlittle says:

Anybody else notice that the 1st episode of Supernatural has a dead girlfriend and a missing dad. And sure enough in the 1st episode of Bloodlines we have a dead girlfriend and a phone call from a dead/missing dad. ……..

4. Linda says:

No, sorry won’t be watching the spin-off if it gets made. The characters never pulled me in at all and I didn’t make me care for them one bit. Winchesters all the way for me.

• Dane says:

Agree.. and it had much more of a ‘soap’ vibe than I want in my ‘monster’ shows. Although it takes place in the Supernatural universe it feels much more like a Vampire Diaries spin off in tone.

• Raúl says:

Yes, it did felt more like a Vampire Diaries spin off. But Supernatural has a much more diverse, complex and explainable monster mythology than TVD so it may show some promise for new viewers as Djinns, Ghouls, wraiths and heck even shapeshifters of humans alone aren’t as common this day on TV as Vampires, Werewolves and Witches so it may draw a pull of new viewers who are tired of the same shows and want more diversity in their monsters. That’s not to say I would’t enjoy seeing the Alpha vamp taking over the vampire leadership on the city though, because i would.

• Benington says:

I agree that Supernatural has a wonderfully complex mythology. The great ones always do. Think Buffy, Angel, Fringe. But let’s be honest guys. The first couple of month’s episodes of Supernatural were like monster of the week. Wendigo, Bloody Mary,etc. Mythologies must grow and develop with time…or not. Grimm is likeable, but it really lacks a solid mythology. I always refer to shows like that as Supernatural Lite. I saw it happen most recently with Continuum, it has become so textured a layered. Not just about a futuristic cop looking to get back home while she fights he bad guys like it was in the first year. Give it a chance, only time will tell but I must say I really liked the 2 male leads.

5. Maddie says:

I thought it was painful to watch. Will definitely be skipping. Really bummed too as I am such a huge Supernatural fan.

Everything about this felt wrong. It was too glossy. It soap opera-y. I didn’t connect with the characters at all, and I felt like it stole from SPN – the girlfriend dying, the brother looking after his little brother.

And how have these monsters never heard of the Winchesters & visa versa. The whole premise was just lacking sense.

It was just plain bad.

• rowan77 says:

Most of the scripted shows on The CW are soapy. They are aiming for teens and college kids. Relationship shows don’t have to be soapy, but I think The CW execs don’t realize that.

6. jr. says:

A spinoff with with Bobby or Castiel or any of the regulars, maybe. But this was just not good.

• luvskats says:

I said the same thing. if you’re trying to do a spinoff of a show and bring in people who care about it then do a spinoff of somewone we care about! like John Winchester…early hunting years…youg John and Mary….Ghostfacers…..or Crowley……yeah i’d watch all of those! but this didn’t even have the same tone as Supernatural…..makes me sad……

7. Gilded Lady says:

It has been said again and again that there are very strong Mobster vibes to the Originals.
    The Originals is basically three underworld factions – vamps, weres and witches fighting
    each other.

I just can’t shake that this is a knock off of the Originals only with characters we have no reason to care for.

• alistaircrane says:

“Per Julie Plec, The Originals was supposed to be set in Chicago, but they moved it to NOLA in part because of her need to be near the TVD set.”
      That doesn’t make much sense. The Originals is set in Louisiana but films in Georgia. Georgia could have doubled for Illinois.

• Gilded Lady says:

Exteriors are done on location :) And they also liked NOLA better for the lore.

• alistaircrane says:

That’s good to know. I remember they shot the pilot in NOLA but said they were moving production to Georgia for the actual series. I had no idea they were filming exteriors in NOLA still, though. I guess the French Quarter and graveyard scenes are shot there (but I imagine Hayley’s werewolf bayou crew is filmed in Georgia).

8. Ghostwolf says:

No thanks – The Orinigals ripoff and not much of a SPN connection.

9. Dj says:

No I’m not watching if its picked up. It’s disappointing that they wasted a supernatural episode on this. TBH Sam and Dean didnt even have to be in this episode because this spinoff doesn’t feel like it has any connection to the Supernatural verse. And that they just forced the brothers into the plot because its an easy way to get viewers.

10. Jamie says:

Nope. So disappointing. Could barely watch, and I’m pretty obsessed with supernatural. I really hope they don’t pick up this show. Boring characters, cliched plots, destroys cannon, feels like a plastic copy of other, better shows, and is missing the entire point of what makes supernatural so good. Sam and Dean.

• alistaircrane says:

I agree with most of your points but I don’t see how any of the canon was destroyed. And of course a Supernatural spinoff is not going to include Sam and Dean, that’s what makes it a spinoff.

• Drew says:

The shapeshifters didn’t act like shapeshifters at all. Where was the shedding of skin? Where was the download of memories from their victim? All abandoned for the sake of forcing this story.

I love Supernatural (and Sam and Dean are great, but the writing/acting/production value are what makes the show great not just those characters) but this was a mess. Totally forced.

• Jamie says:

Well of course they won’t be in the spinoff. I meant the relationship between the brothers. I could care less about the monsters demons and angels, it’s their chemistry that hooked me and kept me watching. And as far as canon, for example, since when do shapeshifters not shed skin? And werewolves can partially change as it suits them? And how has generations of Campbell’s and Men of Letters never noticed that there are Mafia monster families running Chicago and New York. And none of them have heard of the winchesters even though the rest of the supernatural community knows about them stopping lucifer. I could go on, but the bottom line is, it’s barely a spinoff since they changed all the rules.

• Dr. M says:

I thought I was watching a lost (bad) episode of Kindred: The Embraced.

11. mike says:

No, sorry but this episode was horrible. Same old dribble that Twilight started and Vampire Diaries continued.. Not for me.

12. Sue Kelley says:

I actually thought it seemed more like a spin off of “The Originals” than it did “Supernatural” I couldn’t keep track of who all these people were or how they were related or what kind of monster they were…

13. otomen87 says:

I might watch a few episode for the hot guys only.lol

14. Mick says:

The acting was painful. I mean really bad acting from people I genuinely like as actors (Sean Faris). The writing was completely weak. People can complained about the Originals backdoor pilot but it was Oscar worthy compared to this. It’s like the writers through a bunch of cliches at the wall and decided it would make a good episode of television. And they contradicted their canon to make this show work which makes it even worse.

15. Sammy Winchester SpnFever says:

Owner SPN and I have looked until the end at the episode only for love to dean and sam for whom it was lamentable, pathetic to the end, do not want to remember the episode, the good only thing was when it was possible to see dean and sam and see that dean in spite of everything continues loving sam when “sammy” calls it, bloodlines do not think to see for that there is nothing that is worth a sorrow seeing

16. ? says:

Supernatural Romeo & Juliet? No thanks. Pass.

17. Anne says:

I don’t really get all the hate for this “pilot”. I thought it was great that it differed from the original recipe of Supernatural – we already have Supernatural, so why not just be happy that the universe is expanding? The original show we all love will still be there as well.
    As for the Originals comparisons, I think there’s the same kind of vibe, but the characters on Bloodlines seem a lot more likable (except for douchewolf Julian) and interesting. I hope this get a full season come fall

• nate says:

me too with the expanding universe thing

• Sheila says:

I hated it because the writing was bad, the concept was bad, and the acting was bad.

• Guest says:

(IN MOJO JOJO”S VOICE) AW SHUT UP! If people say they hated the pilot, then THAT’S THEIR OPINION! I already warned people that don’t like our opinions that WE have them and you can’t run from them. And also, show people that have opinions some respect! Lighten up because NOT EVERYONE is gonna like certain things! P.S most of the voters say stick with the Winchesters because THAT’S THEIR OPINIONS!

18. AMS says:

It was soo painful to see them freeze on David & Ennis face and show us how constipated they looked!!!
    It’s like they forgot their lines for couple of seconds and they just kept rolling!
    This was a painful hour to watch I even felt uncomfortable at times of the cringe worthiness of this debacle!!!
    Leave original SPN and up their budget rather than wasting money on this!!!

19. It’s really a great and helpful piece of information.
    I am happy that you shared this useful information with us.
    Please stay us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

20. Carrie says:

I’d watch it. Could be good.

21. Dr. M says:

Is it still too late for us to get Supernatural: Oz with Felicia Day (Charlie) and Tiio Horn (Dorthy)?
    I’d watch that spin-off until flying monkeys came out of my butt.
    I really thought they set that one up perfectly.

22. Hello, its nice article on the topic of media print,
    we all be aware of media is a impressive source of information.

23. Maryann says:

Bloodlines was great! I liked it better than Supernatural. It reminds me a little of The Originals. I just hope it gets picked up, and that being a backdoor pilot, rather than a totally independent pilot, will not be its undoing. The problem is that it is very different from Supernatural, and may not find its audience among viewers who just want a clone of Supernatural. At any rate, I am very excited about the show; I find the interactions among the characters and their potential relationships intriguing, and am really hoping to see it continue in the fall!

24. CBWBDK1 says:

Terrible episode! The spin-off sucks!

25. tracyg36 says:

If SPN is to have a spinoff, do it like it was done back in the day with Angel: You spin off a character people like/care about, then give it its own storylines but keep it within the save universe. I had such a hard time attempting to even care about what was happening. It was Romeo and Juliet with fangs, and that’s never good. It’s not what SPN is about. I’m sad this was a wated opportunity.

26. My brother suggested I may like this web site. He used to be totally right.
    This submit actually made my day. You cann’t consider simply how a lot time I had
    spent for this information! Thanks!

27. Randi Shelson says:

I actually fell asleep during this episode. It wasn’t even Supernatural. The characters were boring and cliche. I don’t watch Vampire Diaries or True Blood and gave up on the Originals so why would I want another show just like those? Sorry, not for me..but I am sure there are those who might love it. Good luck with it.

28. It was fun and that what matters . It no angel (the greatest spinoff ever ) i get it but if you want it to be just like Sam and Dean show then watch supernatural but that the point of a spin off is to be different but share the same DNA as it parent show . It has room for improvement but to me it was a good watch and something i want to see revisited in it own show .

29. Jane says:

I pretty much agree with what everyone else has said. Acting was bad. Plot was just a rehash of other shows. Heck even the background music was out of place and bad. They just had Dean growling and Sam looked confused through the whole thing. Just another show where they they think if they just put pretty people on the screen it will distract us from bad plot and acting. Will not watch. Supernatural and its fans deserves a better spin-off.

30. David says:

The truth here is this pilot never stood a chance with the die hard fans of Supernatural. The reason Supernatural is so good is because of the brothers. This show will obviously not have the brothers so the die hard fans that all they can think about is Dean, Sam, and/or Cas so anything else Supernatural that does not include this characters is doomed.

I wonder if this show was developed without it having the Supernatural connection how many Supernatural fans would think differently. Basically I feel because everyone for most part has been slamming it before watching that they went into determined not to like it so they didn’t but if this was just another new show not a Supernatural spin-off how many of those people would think it was great because they would have more of an open mind to it.

I might be completely off base with all this. Just something to think about. I am a huge Supernatural fan. Have been watching it since the very first episode aired but I am willing to give this spin off a shot. At least a few episodes to see how it goes.

• Jane says:

I did try to watch it on its on merit without and it was bad. Except for the guy playing David, the actors were terrible, especially the guy playing Ennis. The plot was a rehash of a lot of other better shows, nothing original. As I said above, even the background music was bad. I watch a lot of supernatural type shows and this pilot was worse than Bitten, which I personally think its the worse one out there right now. I can honestly say that even if I wasn’t a Supernatural fan I would not give this one another try.

• Rita Thomas says:

I was just flipping around on TV & came upon this episode…………so I had no preconceived notions about what to “expect”. I watched for about 15 minutes & finally got so bored (after I realized what it was!) I changed the channel. UGH. It was terrible. I LOVE Supernatural, but I will never watch this so-called spin-off.

• SMN says:

People like Supernatural because it’s mostly action and comedy with dash of drama. It’s not about who Sam and Dean are dating. You can tell from the outset that Bloodlines will be a simple soap opera that’s going to be all about who’s dating whom and all the characters backstabbing each other. That kind of nonsense has nothing to do with why people watch Supernatural. It makes no sense that they would make a spinoff like this since it does not appeal to the same audience.

31. Elyse says:

I read the reviews on here before I watched the episode and I thought to myself that everyone must just be upset about the Winchester Bros not being in it but after watching it I have to agree. It wasn’t good. The only reason I might watch in the fall is for the eye candy.

32. Ncooke says:

It was CRAP!! Bad acting and bad editing! Worse episode ever

33. Mia says:

Next week looks awesome!!! The only good thing that came from this episode was the promo afterwards.

HAIL QUEEN ABADDON!

34. Isobel says:

Dean and Sam and David ( Kol from Vampire Diaries) were the only good things about it for me

35. Joseph V says:

I thought episode was ridiculous. They so much unneeded content. Everyone watches supernatural because it’s a tragic heroic story of two brothers and when they tried to make this spin off it came off horrible. They ripped off almost all of the Orginials and left me wondering why they would taint the franchise like that. Sam and Dean only had about 10 minute of camera time and the new protagonist is just a ripoff of Dean. Will not watch the spinoff ever

36. Patrick Maloney says:

This was painful to watch, is this how far Supernatural into the teen angst abyss? That they totally disregard their own lore (wasn’t the guy who stole the tests at the beginning a shifter?) in order to make a show with one dimensional cliches and reductions on this show we love.

37. Sherri Dorbritz says:

Sorry but if the CW decides to go ahead witht this spin-off, they need to rethink the characters and plot development. Please do not defile what is Supernatural with this train wreck that I watched last night.

38. clara54 says:

Sam and Dean acted stiff and unconvincing (wondered what they were really thinking?!) The entire episode didn’t appear promising. Will stay with SUPERNATURAL!

39. Jared says:

I’ve never been a huge fan of Supernatural but I loved Bloodlines. That being said im still not sold that The CW will pick it up to series. Having 3 series and there spinoffs on the fall schedule seems like overkill.

40. ChiliOG says:

Quite possibly the worst spin-off since Joanie Loves Chachi. That was just truly awful. Predicable beyond words, poorly acted, poorly directed, and a colossal waste of time. CW, you owe us an episode of Supernatural for sitting through this crap.

41. Nobody says:

I think the poll choices more or less stink.
    I get to pick between the spinoff and Supernatural?
    I’m not allowed to watch both?

42. JS says:

Well, that’s an hour of my life that I won’t get back.

It was a struggle to make it to the end. The main characters were so bad that by the end I really didn’t care if they lived or died. I actually felt sorry for the guy who lost his kid and ended up killed by the boring main character. I thought it was genius that he pitted all the monsters against each other. And what’s with the boring main character killing humans?

Let the WB waste their money and air this show. I definitely won’t be watching.

43. mania says:

NOOO
    someone plz fire carver
    he is ruining our show

• Drew says:

The show is leaps and bounds better than it was in season 7. Carver is not ruining Supernatural. But yeah this episode sucked.

44. G.Yount says:

I didn’t like last nights supernatural it was boring But I’m going to enjoy next weeks show CROWLEYS BACK.

45. G.Yount says:

Anyone who doesn’t like Crowley I’m gonna pray for you.

46. This show has no feel of the supernatural. It has the settings of the originals but take away the originals mythology and replace it with just a little bit of supernaturals. And when I say alittle of supernatural mythology. …I mean just the mythology of the monsters….what everyone liked about supernatural was the brothers taking onthe supernatural. Which included demons angels titans.
    The originals r about a group of supernatural beings that live n the same place and cant get along and one group wants to take control.
    So CW do us a favor and dont insult supernatural by adding that name with it cuz it does not fit in no way

47. AprilD says:

Back door pilots (IMO) are usually disappointing for the fans of the original show. I can’t watch the episode Grey’s pulled to get Private Practice a back door pilot. When I go back and watch I skip all the PP scenes. So I knew this would be a disappointing show for SPN. I agree, the premise of this show feels a LOT like the Originals. But it lacks likable women characters, alpha males who can’t show weakness, and the same old “I must hunt all creatures because revenge.” I might have to watch a few more eps to really like it or really hate it, but I might not even bother with that.

48. jake says:

the main shifter looked liked andrew garfield (spiderman)

49. Meg says:

Whether or not I watch will depend on the day/time the show airs. At this point, I could take it or leave it.