Patrick Stewart to Lead Newsy Starz Comedy From Seth MacFarlane and Jonathan Ames

Patrick Stewart Blunt Talk Starz Series OrderPatrick Stewart has a new, two-year mission: to boldly go where Stephen Colbert has gone before.

The former Star Trek: The Next Generation captain will play an opinionated British TV host bent on civilizing America from behind his cable news desk in Starz’s Blunt Talk, the network announced Tuesday.

RELATED | Starz Orders ‘Gritty’ Ballet Drama Flesh and Bone

The half-hour comedy, conceived by Jonathan Ames (Bored to Death) and executive-produced by Ames and Seth MacFarlane (Family Guy), has received a supersized, straight-to-series order at the pay cabler: 20 episodes over two seasons.

Unlike Colbert’s The Colbert ReportBlunt Talk is a scripted series that follows Stewart’s borderline-alcoholic Walter Blunt as he conducts a nightly interview show and makes well-intentioned-yet-poor decisions regarding his network bosses, dysfunctional staff, ex-wives (yes, plural) and children.

VIDEO | Starz’s Outlander: Watch the First Trailer

In addition to helming the U.S.S. Enterprise for seven seasons — and in subsequent movies — Stewart plays Professor X in the X-Men film franchise. He also voices characters on MacFarlane’s American Dad! and Family Guy.

Blunt Talk is slated to premiere in 2015.

1. ggny says:

Well this sound amazing. Please tell me Ian McKellen is involved in some way

2. Ashley says:

Was interesting until I read Seth Mcfarlane was going to be involved.

3. Nicole says:

I’m in. It’s crazy how Seth got Patrick Stewart on American Dad all these years, but they make for a funny combo. Looking forward to seeing a live action comedy involving the duo.

4. I’m extremely inspired with your writing skills and also with the structure on your
    weblog. Is this a paid subject or did you customize it yourself?
    Either way keep up the nice high quality writing,
    it is rare to see a great weblog like this one today..

5. Robby Horine says:

I heard of this story before. It was with Piers Morgan (and his stand against guns) and it wasn’t funny. Piers couldn’t understand that we follow ALL THE CONSTITUTION, not the parts a person likes.

I expect this to be funny.

• elf says:

Remember that the Constitution also has an amendment process where if enough people decide it needs to be changed, it can be changed. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with campaigning for change. With the guns issue it’s a losing, uphill battle, that Morgan and others are willing to fight. That does not mean that individuals are picking and choosing the parts that they follow, but are trying to improve it for what they believe the betterment of the nation as a whole.

6. Big Mike says:

Sounds. Incredible.

7. elf says:

Here’s my concern: Patrick Stewart is not a comedic actor. He is an exceptional dramatic actor, but when he does comedy it’s as if he’s comstantly reminding the audience “Hey, look over here, it’s the classically trained Shakespearian actor doing silly things!” as if that were all that’s needed for comedy. Even on American Dad he delivers his lines with the same “I’m being funny now” delivery.

That said, if the show is written as a comedic drama (i hate the term “dramedy”) and the humor comes from the situation, stories and characters instead of the performance, then I’ll keep my hopes high. I’d love to see what MacFarlane and his team can do with real-world, present-day, issues-driven humor. (OK, I want to see “A Million Ways to Die in the West” for the d–k jokes too. And “Ted”, while sophomoric at times, was an amazing first film for anyone, much less someone who wrote, directed and performed the title character.)

8. regina says:

Patrick Stewart can do anything. He portrays a quirky, dry sense of humor so well, he cracks me up every time. This is an interesting combo of people and the potential dynamics and storylines could be amazing. Fingers crossed for this one.

9. Joey Padron says:

Glad Patrick will be returning to tv in person since Star Trek. He’s been great on American Dad as Stan’s boss.

10. Daniel says:

People who say Patrick Stewart can’t do comedy, see Extras.

11. KeithH says:

Din’t CNN try this in real life with that insufferable lout Piers Morgan?

12. erin says:

This sounds amazing, I can’t wait! I love seeing Patrick Stewart do comedy, he is soo funny.

13. Hi there, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i was just wondering
    if you get a lot of spam remarks? If so how do
    you prevent it, any plugin or anything you can suggest?
    I get so much lately it’s driving me insane so
    any support is very much appreciated.