Almost Human Cancelled By Fox

Almost Human CancelledKennex and Dorian’s human-android bromance is coming to an early end, as Fox has decided to cancel Almost Human.

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

Fox has opted not to renew the futuristic crime drama — which starred Karl Urban, Michael Ealy and Minka Kelly — for a second season, our sister site Deadline reports.

In TVLine’s annual Keep or Cut survey, Almost Human had received the strongest support for renewal, with 88 percent of those who tendered an opinion voting to save the sci-fi series.

TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard is thusly updated.

• emaegf says:

Agree

• davej13 says:

I am sad it is cancelled. For me, it really hit its stride after about 5 or 6 episodes, but I guess that was too late to draw in enough viewers.

• Luminosity says:

I agree! I am both sad and angry. Almost Human was my family’s favorite new show. It was the perfect blend of action, heart, and humor. Again, so sad. :-(

• fat richard says:

this show had recycled plots from nearly every sci-fi show or cops show/movie that ever came before it. has no one ever seen ROBOCOP? or hell, even the remake version of robocop? there was also zero consistency on the technology that existed in that world. they should have had a few writers collaborate on the entire season or just one guy manly write it instead of having a different writer each episode. to just the casual viewer who doesn’t pay attention or is old or stupid that kind of stuff might not bother you, but it is infuriating to someone who has seen a lot of movies and tv shows over the years. long story short, it was lazy and boring and it didn’t get great ratings and was somewhat expensive to produce. why would they keep it? just give minka kelly her own show doing anything, it doesn’t matter. it doesn’t even have to be any good.

• mrspeel2 says:

If you didn’t like the program you had the option of not watching it, but those of us who enjoyed it are going to miss it and should be allowed to mourn this decision without criticism. The fact that the shows may have had recycled plotlines, doesn’t matter to us. The same can be said of many programs that have been renewed or retained on the airwaves and are thriving.
        I wonder about your statement about putting Minka Kelly in “anything”. Are you implying that her presence in “anything” will ensure success? She doesn’t seem to have helped in this instance, so what makes you think it would work in another program?

• amadeline says:

I so agree with you. If you don’t like it don’t watch it. I love’d it. I especially loved that there were no vampires or werewolves, and that it had a self contained story each week as well as the ongoing character stuff. They played off each other so well. Maybe another network will pick it up!

• fat richard says:

all it takes for you to like a show is a lack of vampires and werewolves? rofl, based on that, that leaves pretty much every show on every channel that isn’t teen wolf, anything on cw or true blood. so you shouldn’t worry that one little show got cancelled there are literally millions of others to choose from that you may like.

• fat richard says:

1) i’m saying minka kelly is the most gorgeous woman on the planet and i would watch her on any show no matter how terrible, i mean, i watched almost human didn’t i?
          2) i wanted to like it, i kept tuning in every week hoping it would get better but it just got progressively worse. yes, you are correct, i did have the option not to watch and after 6 or 7 episodes i finally took that option, and looking at the ratings so did a ton of other people. and yes, you may mourn the loss of the show all you want, but to do so without criticism on a message board? thats never going to happen ever point blank period. my opinion is just as valid as yours no matter how terrible either of us thinks the others opinion is.

• KCP says:

Your #2…well put and I most certainly agree. I absolutely loved Fringe and so wanted to like AH, but it was just terrible. If it’s true that they purposefully mixed up the episode orders then that would explain a lot about the on and off chemistry between the two guys. That said, the stories were simply boring, not well thought out and the advanced technology they boasted about was no where to be found. I would have been super shocked if FOX gave the green light for a second season.

As for Minka… Well, pretty she is but her acting on AH was quite bad. lol I could sleepwalk through a script better than her unattached, unemotional character.

So much potential for great story lines but the writers and producers failed. Maybe they didn’t think the story through or flush out the characters well enough before? In any case, the lights have happily dimmed on AH and all the actors can go off to make better shows and movies.

• Bob Nohara says:

Please let it go. Your comments about Almost Human are extremely annoying to the people that enjoyed this series. You showed your true self when you stated that you would watch anything with Minka Kelly in it. I’m not saying she isn’t super cute but there are a lot of people that enjoyed this series because it offered a crime drama that was both different and entertaining. The futuristic cyber aspect made it refreshing for a lot of us. I thought the chemistry between all the characters was good and I am sad to see this show cancelled by FOX. Lastly, your Robocop comments are so not accurate.

• abramsfail says:

“mourn this decision without criticism” really?!?!? why??? you obviously are not allowing others their opinion without critique. When BS numbers and comments come up eventually you get replies, the number I’m seeing is a 63% approval rating. Personally anything with Abrams behind the wheel should automatically get a 1star regardless. Here’s hoping Revolution falls next

• Robotzh8teme says:

Really? I am sorry that the show actually had a story, and a decent script. You obviously had seen more than one episode, so why did you even bother watching if you didn’t like it? TV is NOT the movies… not enough explosions for you? car wrecks? Girls in bikinis? Because this seriously had decent writing chops, and quite frankly had great action and a good “future” as far as the continuity went. Yea I’ve seen Robocop…different story altogether. And it did get decent ratings (new shows very rarely get great ratings). Please continue to watch old Arnold amd Stallone movies (they seem to be more your speed).

• Sylvain says:

“to just the casual viewer who doesn’t pay attention or is old or stupid that kind of stuff might not bother you.”

Damn you think highly of yourself. In short you say you’re a very knowledgable, tv watching, couch potato.

• Ms.Sunshine says:

Well said. I am mostly a reader. I have very few tv programs I like. Almost Human was one of the few. However, I am not going to insult the intellect of others under the basis of my TV watching knowledge. That’s quite pathetic.

• Veronica says:

So basically you have no life and spend your time studying TV shows and movies in extreme (and unnecessary) detail.. Nice.

• Bill Heuvel says:

Well his name is ‘fat’ Richard. Must mean something!
          BUT, I don’t fit into his ‘categories’, not old, stupid and easily watch almost every sci-fi ever made. AND I really liked ALMOST HUMAN, Karl is adorable, Michael is sweet and smart. Minka and Lily are great at their supporting roles. I think they make Minka’s character slightly slow, because she’s a CHROME…so much more this program had to offer. STUPID IDEA to Cancel. I will continue to write to other NETWORKS to beg them to Take AH away and start giving us what we want, and taking viewers FROM FOX!

• sabretruthtiger says:

Obviously you’re lacking in artistic appreciation and IQ. Every book and show is recycled elements for those that came before.
        Robocop was completely different form this in plot, tone and focus. You’ve seen a lot of movies but have failed to think critically.

• mike464646 says:

I seen a lot of shows over the years (Maybe I been around longer than you) and loved this one.

• Kelvin says:

Your TV is a repeat of all other TVs. Throw it out of the house. In fact, your house is similar to other in the street, too. Burn it down :) Your logic.

• Sue says:

I agree. This is horrible news. There are so many awful shows that are renewed. Why can’t we keep a good one?!

• Ron Doyle says:

fox is a bunch of idiots for cancelling this refreshing show – this show had a nice vibe and good acting – way to go guys

• Patrick says:

I didn’t watch it, but I am very sorry for all the fans who are losing a beloved show.

But this was somewhat obvious. It is in the same boat as Firefly. I don’t know if Almost Human is as good as Firefly, but they have one glaring similarity. They are ruinously expensive to make. Large regular casts, tons of extras, and pricey sets/fx/production values. All those things can create a rich tapestry and good shows. But they require HUGE ratings to justify the costs. Shows aren’t canceled because they aren’t good. They are canceled because they lose money. And, based on the ratings, I feel like Almost Human, like Firefly, were essentially piles of burning money.

RIP, and I am very sorry for all the fans.

• Bigref says:

I am sorry but unsurprised that this show is cancelled. It DID suffer from too many SiFi cliches and less than imaginative writing. It was not, by any stretch of the imagination, or lack thereof, comparable to Firefly. Firefly mocked SiFi cliches, was brilliantly written and was dirt cheap to make. It’s handling and cancellation by Fox remains as the all time dumbest, ever. If they make college courses on how not to handle a TV show, Firefly will be the central topic.

• Ric Fuentez says:

it had a tone of scifi cliches because it WAS SCIFI !!!! thats why I watched it. Fire fly was ok but it was not as great as it was made out to be, it was more of a western than a scifi show, you replace the browncoats with former confederate solders, and the firefly with a steamboat and it would have been a western.

• sabretruthtiger says:

Actually there is another reason, if a show doesn’t sufficiently promote the values of the new world order then it’s cancelled. Almost human promoted friendship, a principled strong male hero, hope for the future, the concept that artificial intelligence can be superior with feelings, things the Elite don’t want promoted.
          Instead ‘The Following’ promotes psychopathy, the dark side of human nature, domestic terrorism etc, hence it’s kept.

• Grace says:

I agree the only other show I watch on Fox is Bones and I understand this will be the show last season. So their will be nothing on Fox I will watch that is worth looking at.

• daviduter says:

Figures, only FOX show I was watching. Meanwhile, the Following gets a 3rd season? The Following? Who are these Nielsen families, they really couldn’t suck more at watching TV.

• Every time I find a show I like and just get into it; it gets cancelled. Take Killer Women for example; promised 6 episodes; only got 5; Cliff hanger and then cancelled. Yet they leave so much reality GARBAGE on! Go figure…

• Amanda says:

I am so upset! This was one of my favorite shows-smart, funny. Right up there with Blacklist, Grimm, and one or two others I never miss. Why do the clever ones get canceled, and crap like reality shows get renewed? Also- as much as I love Harry Connick jr, this has to be the worst season of American Idol ever. None of these singers, except maybe Jess, would even get past the auditions on The Voice.

• Thorbjoern says:

Reality is one of the cheapest TV productions known to networks – and for reasons unknown to me they attract a huge audience. Apparently people love watching idiots doing stupid stuff. It makes the competition to real shows that requires writers, actors, directors and fx very tough. The networks will always consider if they can get a higher commercial revenue from turning on a few cameras on people embarrassing themselves for free.

1. ryan says:

Fox cancels everything that is good what a joje

• Jerry G. says:

Yep, FOX does seem to do cancellations of some pretty good shows. I really liked ALMOST HUMAN for it had a great cast and some very interesting plots (plus Minka Kelly & Ms. Taylor) and as far as I feel FOX cancel all their shows for I will not watch their channel except for a sporting event, and I really like SLEEPY HOLLOW, so cancel that one too.

• Katherine215 says:

And they keep Glee, which has worse ratings than Almost Human did! So unfair.

• Zayne says:

I’m more pissed they kept The Following which is absolute garbage and has done nothing but hemorrhage viewers this season and will almost definitely be cancelled next season. Almost Human at least had the possibility, however small, of getting good word of mouth on its hiatus.

Also, note to Fox, maybe air the episodes in the correct order and let people watch the growth and you may have a more successful show.

• Riley says:

Amen, to that brother!

• Robotzh8teme says:

Agree! I can’t believe The Following got renewed after the first season, let alone for a third season. Kevin Bacon aside (whom I normally like) the show is dull and and boring – the “plot twists (if you wanna call them that) are unimaginative.

• Troy says:

I’m with you Zayne… The Following is so idiotic and predictable I stopped watching after 6 eps (I normally give a show a reasonable time to hook me). It is plainly a waste of time.

Almost Human needs to be picked up by a REAL Channel that actually can allow this seedling grow and execs who can see potential in a show like this – AH has so much potential and the partnership between the two main characters was developing. (Minka Kelly was easy on the eye which was an added bonus watching AH).

Damn it, it’s just like Firefly all over again.

2. Alichat says:

Well damn.

3. Mia says:

Fox is not allowed to even attempt another Sci Fi show. This is what they do every single damn time. No more. Will not tune in and watch another.

• M3rc Nate says:

Amen. Frak Fox, im done with them. Sell (on the cheap) the rights to Syfy and let them make season 2 and beyond.

• Brooke says:

As much as I hated Fox’s treatment of other sci-fi shows, they did stand by Fringe pretty damn well.

• Mia says:

Fringe was beloved by the critics and managed to gain a large cult following and without a doubt there were a few executives that were fans. Alien Nation, Dark Angel, Firefly, Tru Calling, Dollhouse, Sarah Connor Chronicles…

• Brooke says:

Yeah, like I said, I hated Fox’s treatment of other non-Fringe sci-fi shows.

Although, Dark Angel? Totally deserved to be cancelled. Season 1 was SO frakkin awesome. Season 2 was a horrible disaster with its change in focus and sudden flood of all the campy genetic mutants fighting for their rights. Good riddance.

• Ally Oop says:

I disagree. Dark Angel’s second season was great but FOX kept moving it all over the schedule and I never knew when it was on so I kept missing episodes. It switched timeslots 4 times.

• Naazneen says:

Argh. You’ve just reminded me about all the awesome shows i loved that was cancelled.

• Huskygrl says:

No kidding, and I was thinking I hated Fox BEFORE I read these comments, now I’m remembering John Doe, Tru Calling, Firefly…. Well damn, damn them all!

• Jason says:

John Doe as well. Damn you FOX for bringing us interesting sci-fi shows with potential and then ruining them with out of order episodes, schedule shifting, and then ultimately cancellation. Sleepy Hollow will be next. Fringe was the only exception. They let that one play out and it was one of my fav sci-fi shows ever.

• tp says:

Jason, I think I love you. No one ever remembers John Doe. That cliffhanger was gut wrenching. Right along with New Amsterdam. Now I am really mad at Fox. I wonder if I can find either of these on Netflix or Amazon? *going to look right now*

• Jared says:

I loved John Doe especially since it introduced us to Dominic Purcell (who has been pretty much MIA lately save for a few direct to DVD films). At least they gave him a second shot with Prison Break!

• Robotzh8teme says:

I read (quite a while ago now) that the FOX execs pressured Abrams to finish off Fringe in a shorten fifth season as they were going to cancel after season 4. Abrams convinced FOX to let him get the storyline tied up for the fans.

4. Sheila says:

That’s a shame. I wasn’t really invested in the plot, but liked the lead actors.

5. Noooooooooooo says:

Depressing

6. Jennifer Graham says:

This makes me angry!

7. Meg says:

Minka Kelly is going to get a reputation as a show killer.

8. Rose says:

Fox cancelled one of the two best shows it has? Almost Human would have been a great lead-in to Sleepy Hollow. Of course, it was smart, interesting, exciting an had two charismatic stars … Another idiotic programming decision.

• Temperance says:

Totally agree.

• Ally Oop says:

I agree. FOX premiered the show late, in November, then aired the episodes out of order. The show never had a chance. Rumor has it FOX only wanted to keep one of Almost Human and Sleepy Hollow and when SH flew out of the gate, AH’s fate was sealed. It would have had to pull over 6 million consistently and it did not.

9. Julio says:

I’m torn between anger and sadness. I looked forward to that show! Damn you FOX! Stay away from sci fi!

10. trollbabyfeet says:

This stinks. I was really hoping they wouldn’t be stupid about it. I’m bummed.

11. Eric says:

As someone who was planning to marathon the show this summer (due to being a student who was too busy to watch it during its initial run), is there any point in doing so now? Did the first season have a satisfying conclusion or did it end on a cliffhanger? If the end doesn’t feel natural, is it at least good enough to make it worth it?

• Katie Hart says:

I thought it ended decently – but try to watch the episodes in their correct order if you can! (Fox aired them wrong, as usual.)

• haymarilyn7 says:

Yes, very much worth watching and ended ‘okay’ not a cliffhanger but many unanswered questions. Watch eps in order: Pilot, Perception, You Are Here, and Arrythmia come before Skin. Then the rest in the order they were aired. Terrific show. Dorian will go down as one of the best android characters EVER. Like Firefly, people will look back and say what a mistake this was.

• jenna says:

I too was planning on watching the show in the summer (didn’t want to get too attached in case of cancellation) thanks for providing the CORRECT episode order!

• Luminosity says:

I was thinking about Firefly, too. You would think that FOX would learn.

12. Jewels says:

Wow…no wonder I don’t watch Fox anymore. A shame. The show was actually getting pretty good.

13. archphoenix says:

But Dads still lives?! FOX, aside from Cosmos, you are the worst.

14. christina says:

This show was so good. I’m so disappointed. Thanks for airing the episodes out of order, FOX. Now I’ll never know what’s on the other side of the wall or more of Dorian’s back story.

I really hope this gets released on DVD one day.

• christina says:

also, how did Almost Human do in the demo vs. The Following? AH had more viewers, right? I know Kevin Bacon is the bigger name but The Following’s ratings this season seemed to struggle yet that was renewed for season 3…..

• Ann says:

They did the same thing with Firefly. You’d think after a decade they’d at least try to let a show thrive.. They should just stay away from Sci-fy, the only thing they do is ruin it.

15. Et al. says:

Good thing they still have ratings juggernauts Glee and The Following.

• Elyse says:

LOL! THIS!

• Robotzh8teme says:

Glee is just plain stupid, although the kiddies and some Moms seem to like it, so I guess I can’t take that away from them… but the Following is just horrible and has crappy rating this year. Worse than AH.

16. kelly says:

That was the last time I will watch a new Fox show, they always cancel decent sci-fi

17. LADY_in_MD says:

Seriously it got the most votes doesn’t fox read any fan sites to see what a following it had I was a huge fan of the show maybe syfy or another network will pick it up the bromance was my favorite part for the show :-(

18. Helen says:

Wasn’t a big fan of the show, but sorry to the Almost Human fans. :/

19. Jessica says:

Grr so sad over this!

20. theresa says:

This sucks. I’m so tired of good shows being canceled. The show started slow but had so much potential and got better with time. And it left so many questions.

21. I saw this coming after the Jabs they did on Bones.

22. pete says:

fox canning another sci-fi show after showing it’s episodes out of order, who would have ever guessed

23. KP says:

Another bad decision by Fox. When will they learn?

24. Analiza says:

This stinks!
    If the folks at SyFy have a clue, they’ll pick Almost Human up. It was the best new show this year.
    Fox always cancels the shows that are outside the box (e. g. Firefly). I don’t know why they bother putting them on when they don’t give them a real chance.

25. StupidPeopleShutUp says:

I’m extremely critical and I choose what I stick with very carefully. This was a good show with a lot to recommend it and I’m pissed.

26. SN says:

Karl Urban seemed to really think it would get another season when I saw him last month at a convention. Too bad. :(

27. Kidwynn says:

Go figured Fox come out with something sci-fy that people like and they cancel it. That’s it!! Fox is off my watching list for anything. First Firefly way back and now this. It was by far one of the best shows they produced in a long time.

28. This sucks. I am done with fox. Not even 24 can reel me back. I will get 24 online from somewhere else.. I stopped watching Bones mid-way through the season. FOX is stupid. If anything they should of cancelled the train wreck of a show that is ‘The Following’ oh and ‘Dads’. Dumb dumb move by FOX

29. sushi says:

Fox should unrenew GLEE

30. T says:

was this still on??

31. April says:

Nooooooooooooooooooo! This was the only new show I wanted to keep watching. I’m going to miss Kennex and Dorian. :-(

32. Fosho says:

déjà vu Fox déjà vu

33. alistaircrane says:

This show wasn’t very good. I wanted to like it, but it was just so mediocre.

34. Mae says:

I’m sorry it didn’t get a bit more of a chance, but… After Fringe, it was a disappointment. I had been expecting a more thoughtful, less macho show. Sorry for Wyman and the Fringe crew, and for the actors, but the problem wasn’t that Fox mixed up the episodes. The problem was that it just wasn’t that good.

• alistaircrane says:

I completely agree. AH felt like the worst episodes of Fringe Season 5, whereas I was hoping for more like the best episodes of Seasons 2 and 3.

• Dooger says:

I concur. The show bordered on god awful some(most) episodes. AH is no Firefly. There was no continuity at all for episodes i.e wrong episode broadcast order can not be used as an excuse. I can forgive FOX on this one…

• Tira says:

Fringe’s first season wasn’t that good either, yet it found its foot on season 2.

• Lisa London says:

Very true. I remember pushing myself to finish season 1 and then I was so pleasantly surprised by season 2!

• geekymonkey says:

I so agree. I’m baffled as to why there’s so much outcry over the cancellation of this show with people calling it “intelligent” and “well-written”, it was just another generic procedural. I gave the first couple of episodes a try and it was unbearable, particularly the sex-bot episode. Very much felt like an extension of the awful final season of Fringe. Both had Mr. Wyman in common, after all.

• Jeff says:

Because the character interaction was so good – I watched it for that and the sci-fi aspects.

• alistaircrane says:

Agreed. A generic procedural set in the future. No thanks.

• I don’t know why people bother to post and bash a show when it’s down. Did your tv only have one channel? Where you part of some ‘Clockwork Orange’ experiment that forced you to watch ‘AH’ over and over, and now you’re free?

No? Then why are you here crapping on other people? Not enough time in the day yelling at people to keep off your lawn?

Haters gonna hate!

35. Jesse says:

Why does rapidly declining Glee get to stay and this get canceled?

• James says:

Because Glee got a double renewal two years ago. Fortunately for you, the upcoming sixth season will be its last.

36. drewcpu says:

Somebody get Netflix on the phone!

37. Mary says:

Nooooooo! I was really hoping for a miracle. UGHHHH

38. webly3 says:

I feel bad for the fans. Having your favorite show cancelled is the worst. I just hope that Parenthood will be renewed because that’s my favorite.

39. Really disappointed. It wad a great show. Dumb move by FOX. Maybe, hopefully, another network will rescue it. ,

40. Kat says:

Screw Fox. I am so over that lousy network. Almost Human was the only show I watched on Fox. And I hadn’t watched anything on that station since Firefly and Dark Angel.

41. Donna W says:

Sure 88% means nothing as usual. This is the powers that be thinking they know better. One day, that thinking will find them further from being honest and respecting their audience.

42. James D says:

I’m not one to jump to rash behavior, but I’m seriously sick of these networks cancelling top notch shows, fox in particular. Almost Human had such potentail and intead of giving it room to find it’s legs they read some fraking spreadsheet and decided it’s more important to make money on total crap than it is to produce high quality tv, so I’m done with Fox. Not even going to watch Gothem.

43. haymarilyn7 says:

I feel sick, just sick. This was one of the best, most hopeful shows on tv, something not immersed in utter evil or horror. I haven’t liked a show so much in years and … this is just awful news. FOX never gave the show a chance: started late, showed eps out of order, put it on three hiatus twice in a 13 show run and ran it against the Olympics when every other network ran reruns (including FOX with other shows). And yet it’s viewership kept growing because it was so very good. And had so very much potential to keep getting better. The producers, writers, technical people and most of all the cast deserve so much better than this. What’s wrong with us that shows like the Following and Hannibal get renewed and shows like this die on the vine? Maybe Warner Bros can find the show another home?

Damn, I can’t stop crying ….

44. Des says:

This make me sad.

45. Jim Sullivan says:

They renew the continually embarrassing Glee and dump this excellent show? Morons!

46. Drew says:

This was a mistake. One in a long line of mistakes made by this series. I’d understand it if this were a complete bomb, but it wasn’t. Yet “The Following” lives to see another season, and that show is just pathetic. Yup, I’m doing that thing where I badmouth another show because mine got canceled. But it’s true. Fox makes bad decisions.

47. Elle says:

I saw this coming 10 months ago. I knew it was going to be an excellent show, but. since it was on Fox, it was never going to make it. I opted not to watch and saved myself the heartbreak.

• pat says:

what kind of nut job cancels a t.v. series that has 88% votes i would think another season was called for. Oh let me guess another reality show

• And correct you would be it’s called Utopia and involves watching 15 stranger spend a year trying to make a society….based on some European show and you’ll get to either endure or ignore a whopping 3 hours of it a week