The Leftovers Trailer: Watch the World 'Explode' in HBO's Upcoming Rapture Drama

“Some bad s–t’s coming, and there’s no getting around it.” That chilling — and unfortunately accurate — statement sets the stage for HBO’s upcoming drama The Leftovers, which rolled out its first full-length trailer Sunday night.

RELATED | Damon Lindelof: HBO’s The Leftovers Is About ‘What Happens Now?’ Versus ‘What Happened?’

Set shortly after 2 percent of the world’s population suddenly disappears, The Leftovers follows police chief Kevin Garvey (Justin Theroux) and the other 98 percent of the population that is, for better or worse, “still here.”

Though HBO has released a few sneak peeks already, this new trailer showcases more of the key players in writer/executive producer Damon Lindelof’s drama, including Amy Brenneman (Private Practice) as Kevin’s wife Laurie, Chris Zylka (Twisted) as their son Tom and Liv Tyler (The Lord of the Rings) as cult-target Meg.

The Leftovers premieres June 29 at 10/9c.

Hit PLAY on the trailer below, then drop a comment with your early thoughts on The Leftovers.

Comments are monitored, so don’t go off topic, don’t frakkin’ curse and don’t bore us with how much your coworker’s sister-in-law makes per hour. Talk smart about TV!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

17 Comments
  1. D says:

    I’ve watched this trailer like five times already, and I’m SOOOOOO excited!!! True Blood and The Leftovers are going to make my summer Sundays awesome!

  2. Ken says:

    2% of the population vanishing doesn’t seem like a huge dramatic jumping off point. Unless you were directly affected, would the world notice just 2% missing? I would think it should be a higher percentage, like at least 50% of the world’s people gone.

    • Reese says:

      2% of the current world population is 140 million people. Even spread out across the globe that many people disappearing at one time would definitely be noticed. Every single person in the world would likely know at least one person who had vanished.

      • johnhelvete says:

        Also part of the premise of the show is that the rapture might have happened and that the people who are “leftover” are waiting around for what some of the people believe may be the eventual end of the world.

    • CountryQueen says:

      This is about the Rapture, so it’s about devout Christians that get taken up to Heaven. 2% sounds about right when you consider the number of people in all religions.

  3. JJ says:

    This actually looks pretty amazing! And the fact that it’s on HBO gets me even more excited.

  4. R.O.B. says:

    Great trailer. Hmmm… already seeing hidden hints and clues. The shadows of some of the letters in the last title card are darker than others. Damn you Damon Lindelof.

  5. Velocisexual says:

    hmm, HBO and no boobs, I call shenanigans!

  6. CountryQueen says:

    I listened to this audio book last year and loved it. I’m a fan of Tom Perrotta. Looking forward to seeing what they do with the show.

  7. The Beach says:

    Why do they have to put all the good stuff on Sunday night??

  8. Joe R says:

    2%? Call me when it’s 98% disappeared, 2% left behind.

  9. So… is it a mystery, or isn’t it? And did ALL the babies disappear? Why was that little kid left behind? (So to speak). This is kinda the reverse of all the 4400/Returned-type shows, I guess. Might be interesting, if Lindelof truly focuses on the drama, rather than stringing us along about what caused the disappearance, etc.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,773 other followers