Scoop: Fox Announces Grease Live Musical Event, Three-Hour Special to Air in 2015

Grease Sing-A-LongGrease is the word at Fox.

No doubt buoyed by the success of NBC’s Sound of Music Live, Fox announced Monday that it is staging a three-hour production of the iconic musical to air in 2015.

PHOTOS | 13 Musicals We’d Like to See Performed Live on TV

Titled Grease Live, the special will feature “a young ensemble cast” and “will reintroduce the great music and timeless story to an entirely new generation,” per Fox. It will be based on the 1971 Broadway musical, which, of course, was turned into the 1978 hit movie starring John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John.

NBC, meanwhile, is following up its Sound of Music smash with a live adaptation James M. Barrie’s high-flying classic Peter Pan, to air on Dec. 4.

Thoughts? Got casting tips for Sandy, Danny, Rizzo and Kenickie? Hit the comments!

1. no says:

Ugggh, pass.

2. joao says:

I can already see glee actors cast in this, not a bad thing tho (if they cast the right ones)

• Rook says:

Seeing how Glee has been renewed and the actor work long hours with shooting, recording, and learning choreography. I don’t think they could fit this into their schedule without being absent for a couple episodes. I don’t see a bunch of glee actors doing this.

3. Carrie Underwood (Sandy), Zac Efron (Danny), Demi Lovato (Rizzo),

4. Ian Ferguson says:

That’s great news for the cast of Glee; now they’ll have something to look forward to after the show ends!

5. dstumme says:

I’d say they’d use some of the Glee cast, except Glee already did a ton of Grease songs as part of a school play within the show. Seems like it would be viewed as repetitive to use those people again.

6. Amanda says:

please not miley

7. LilAngel says:

Lea Michele as Sandy or Rizzo would be great

8. Katy says:

There gonna just use the cast of Glee to save money ;) kidding!

9. Beki says:

Terrible show. Good music, but the message is horrible, especially today… Change everything about yourself and guys will like you. Ugh!

• madhatter360 says:

Everyone always seems to forget that Danny changed too. He lettered in track because he thought that was the kind of guy Sandy wanted. They changed for each other. Both of them stepped out of their comfort zones for love.

10. Ebeth says:

I would love to see Skylar Astin cast in this!

11. Et al. says:

I’m nervous that it will be based on the Broadway version. For me, Grease isn’t Grease without ‘Hopelessly Devoted’ ‘One That I Want’ or ‘Sandy’.

12. Beth says:

No way a Glee cast member (or more than one) isn’t showing up in this.

13. lillyyyy85 says:

Ugh, Grease is done to DEATH. If they’re going to pick a super popular musical, there are SO many other ones they could’ve gone with. Hoping this is better than Sound of Music, since I couldn’t get past the first 30 min (and youtubing all the parts with Mother Superior). I’d be fine with Glee, better than a country singer who can’t act to save her life (this coming from someone who actually likes Carrie Underwood as well).

14. MattArmando says:

C’mon now…

15. Lrs says:

No glee please..give some unknowns a chance to try out for the roles……

16. TJ says:

UGH..I have images of Darren Criss & Chord Overstreet worming their way into this!
    No thanks!

17. Ali Sr says:

I leave it to the experts…plenty of talent out there – why not 😉👍⁉️

18. Tom says:

Lea Michele and Naya Rivera are the only ones from Glee I would be interested in seeing in this. I would love a chance to see Lea in a live stage production!

19. Amy says:

Well if they do want to use a Glee actor, Lea Michele would be a good idea. She’s a trained Broadway actor, so doing it live wouldn’t be a problem for her.

20. Marla James says:

How about a nice reality show to cast the project.

• Nancy says:

They’ve been there, done that. They had a reality show to cast Danny & Sandy in the latest Broadway version.

21. Allison says:

Lea Michele PLEASE! She is a trained Broadway actress and sounds amazing live! Not really interested in seeing any of the other Glee cast in this.

22. Heather says:

I hope there is an audience.

23. TL says:

I love it when the networks copy each other and can’t come up with original concepts on their own and then wonder why we’re all flocking to cable programming.

24. Diz says:

It could be ok if casted correctly which I don’t think will happen. I will probably watch it though just to say I’ve seen it. Nothing can hold a candle to the movie though.

25. Brian Steele says:

Taylor Momsen as sandy

26. Celi says:

Dream casting – Kelly Clarkson as Sandy, Justin Guarini as Danny!

…Oh.

27. bethsuek says:

Three hours? No thanks.

28. As long as Carrie Underwood (wood being the operative term here) stays far, far away, I’m in! I’m over just about everyone in the Glee cast, but I have to admit, Naya Rivera would probably make a good Rizzo.

29. Paris says:

Hopefully they’ll stick with the original script and score and not throw in any rap crap. Grease is about growing up in the 50’s when rock was just starting, so no disco, psychedelic, heavy metal, hip hop etc. No break dancing, hustle or line dancing either.

30. K says:

Naya Rivera as Rizzo! She sang “There are worse things I could do” perfectly on glee.

31. I’m not famous, but I play Danny for a living:

32. josh says:

JESSICA SANCHEZ WOULD BE FIT FOR RIZZO! :)

• Terry says:

They should totally cast the whole show with American Idols!!
      That would be hilarious…
      Danny – Ace Young
      Sandy – Kellie Pickler
      Rizzo – Siobhan Magnus
      Kenickie – Constantine
      Frenchy – Diana DeGarmo
      Doody – Chris Daughtry
      Jan – Haley Reinhart
      Putzie – Blake Lewis
      Marty – Katie Stevens
      Sonny – Matt Giraud
      Frankie Avalon – Adam Lambert
      LOL

33. Maxsmom says:

If they are going for actors 10 years too old for this project, I vote Amanda Seyfried (Sandy), Ann Hathaway (Rizzo), Eddie Redmayne (Koenicke), and Zac Efron (Danny).
    If they are going for “the young crowd” how about One Directions for the Thunderbirds, Harry is Danny of course and Little Mix could be the Pink Ladies adding Cher Lloyd as Sandy.

• Stormy says:

If so, I hope it’s ones that can act a bit. Adam Lambert, David Cook, Kathryn McPhee, Constantine Maroulis, Diana Di Garmo etc that have musical theater experience. Harry Connick Jr as Coach Calhoun, Ryan Seacrest as Vince Fontaine [DJ], Ellen as Mrs Murdock [auto shop], Kara as Principal McGee. That would be extraordinary!

34. Anne says:

So what are the odds a lot of idol/x-factor/sytycd alums get cast in this? I’d say pretty good if not inevitable.

35. rod says:

Kylie Minogue as Prinicpal Mcgee.

36. Nancy says:

Taylor Hicks played Teen Angel on Broadway. He’d be great for this!

37. Kathy says:

Saw Taylor Hicks play Teen Angel on Broadway. He was Great!

38. Rod says:

Reality contest show to pick performers!

39. Jude says:

Pixie Lott as Sandy…the perfect girl/woman needed

40. Stormy says:

After posting about this late last night, I dreamt it was the cast of TBBT in Grease. Sheldon & Amy as Danny & Sandy, Penny as Rizzo, Leonard as Kenicke, Raj, Howard & Stuart as the T-Birds and Bernadette, Leslie Winkle and Lucy as the Pink Ladies. i woke up and realized I’d love for them to do a musical spoof on TBBT like they did on Two and a Half Men and Psych.

41. Emma says:

How about Jennette McCurdy (Sam from iCarly and Sam & Cat) for the role of Sandy!

42. Heather says:

I don’t have a dream cast but if they are doing the original musical, the various articles on 2015 Grease are forgetting two very important characters: Jan and Roger. They are the comic relief of the show and were all but cut out of the movie including a duet the shared. Also, everyone is so worried about who is playing Sandy when truly she isn’t the female to care about. It is the rest of them, Jan, Marty, Frenchie and Rizzo that make this show worth watching, or else it would just be Sandy getting her feelings hurt with no foil or depth to it. Rizzo is the true lead of the show and I hope to god Fox doesn’t screw this up.

• Stormy says:

You Know they’re going to do the film version not the Broadway show and they’ll even sanitize the movie for Sunday night TV viewing. They’ll cut the risque lyrics and blur the racy dialog. It will be all about the music.

43. Becky says:

Madison Rose as Sandy!! She is so Sandy:)

44. Taylor Hicks as Teen Angel please

45. Courtney Archibald says:

I think Taylor Swift would be an AMAZING Sandy and Zac Efron would be a great Danny

• Claudia says:

I think Taylor Swift would be a great Sandy, but Cody Ray Slaughter would be the perfect Danny…check him out!

46. Chick McAfee says:

I’m joining this party late, but there’s some twitter buzz from fans of Nolan Gerard Funk who’d love to see him cast as Danny Zuko. I had the chance to see him on Broadway and he sizzled. Who knew this gritty actor could sing and dance? He gets my vote.

• I too have seen all the Twitter buzz about Nolan Gerard Funk playing Danny Zuko & I couldn’t agree more! This multi-talented actor would be perfect!

• @Nolanators says:

I’m a HUGE Nolan Gerard Funk fan and I would love to see him play Danny Zuko! I have said, for years, that if they ever remade Grease that Nolan had to play Danny. He would be absolutely amazing!!!

• Yuko Gonda says:

As Nolan Gerard Funk is very talented in both acting and singing so I think he is the best to play Danny Zuko. He’s so cool!!!

47. Rachael says:

SANDY-Julianne Hough
    DANNY-Zac Efron
    RIZZO-Demi Lavato

48. Deb H says:

My husband and I saw Nolan Gerard Funk on Broadway in Bye Bye Birdie. How anyone can play hilarious and hot all at once is beyond me. You won’t find a better Danny Zuko. Cast him already, Fox!!

49. Zarabeth says:

You guys should DEFINENTLY cast Nolan Funk! HE’S AMAZING! He played on so many tv shows and movies! He would be the PERFECT guy to play Danny Zuko! TRUST ME! :D ;)

50. Rosie says:

Aaron Tveit for Danny and maybe Taylor Swift for Sandy. but please get Aaron Tveit :) x