Exclusive

The Normal Heart Exclusive: Official Poster for HBO's AIDS Drama Is a Real Heartbreaker

Prepare to have your heart shattered.

That appears to be the message behind the official poster for The Normal Heart, HBO’s rapturously anticipated Ryan Murphy-directed, Larry Kramer-penned AIDS opus.

VIDEO | The Normal Heart: Watch the Official Trailer

The ’80s-set film — set to premiere on Sunday, May 25 — is based on Kramer’s seminal, Tony-winning play and boasts an all-star cast led by Mark Ruffalo, Matt Bomer, Taylor Kitsch, Jim Parsons and Julia Roberts.

Scroll down for a first look at the haunting poster, and then hit the comments with your thoughts.

TheNormalHeart_Poster

1. Slowride says:

I actually like it !

2. j says:

So scared of this. I love the play, and the recent revival was outstanding. I’m hoping for the best, but Ryan Murphy and Julia Roberts do NOT inspire confidence…

• Daniel says:

People tend to forget that Julia Roberts is actually a very good actress. She hasn’t done anything good lately to inspire confidence but she has give some great performances in the past and I think she will for this.

• Gon says:

We’ll then Her oscar nomination for best supporting actress this year doesn’t consider as “doing anything good” I guess

• r0ckmypants says:

i can’t speak for Daniel, but in terms of the original poster’s comment about Julia Roberts, I think it has more to do with the fact that she’s not really a traditional fit for the role. Ellen Barkin recently won the Tony for playing the same role… what other role that either Barkin or Roberts have played could you see the other playing? They’re not the same type.

• K says:

I agree with you on Ryan Murphy, his ego gets in the way of making great projects. But Julia Roberts is a terrific actress, she was amazing in August: Osage County.

3. Abbie says:

I love the poster. Can’t wait for this!

4. CJ says:

I’m eagerly awaiting the premiere. I’ll have to make sure I stock up on tissues ahead of time.

5. paul says:

While I haven’t been a fan of Julia Roberts in the past, I think she did a great acting job in August:Osage County. And I think Ryan Murphy is a great innovator and the perfect choice to adapt The Normal Heart.