Vampire Diaries Season Finale Sneak Peek: New Photos Reveal 'Violence' and 'Despair'

Is Tyler saying goodbye to Mystic Falls for good? Is “Delena” officially back on? These are just a few of the countless questions raised by a new batch of photos from The Vampire Diaries‘ May 15 season finale.

RELATED | May Sweeps Scoopapalooza: 99+ Spoilers on Your Favorite Series’ Season-Ending Episodes

Perhaps, before browsing the gallery below, we should look for answers in the official description of the episode, simply titled “Home”:

AN EXPLOSIVE SEASON FINALE — Heartbroken by an unexpected tragedy, Damon is focused on holding himself together, while pushing Bonnie harder than ever to find a way to stop the disintegration of the Other Side. Elena takes matters into her own hands and demands that Liv and Luke help her, but Liv refuses to cooperate until Caroline provides her with some personal motivation. Sheriff Forbes is horrified when Markos uses violence against Tyler/Julian to prove that Mystic Falls is now under the control of the Travelers. With new information from Sheriff Forbes, Damon comes up with a dangerous plan that relies on split-second timing from Jeremy and Matt. Liv’s off-hand remark regarding Stefan gets a surprisingly emotional response from Caroline. As conditions on the Other Side worsen, Bonnie takes the opportunity to settle an old score. Finally, Damon’s plan causes a massive explosion in Mystic Falls, and everyone is caught up in the confusion, leaving a trail of heroism, sacrifice, relief and despair.

Nope, as I suspected, that answered nothing. (It did, however, confirm everyone’s thoughts about Caroline’s feelings for Stefan.)

Browse 11 new shots from The Vampire Diaries‘ season finale below, then drop a comment with your thoughts and theories.

_

1. Josh says:

Can’t tell if Damon is threatening, moving to strangle or caresses Elena. Sort of sad. But either way TVD will somehow say its romantic.

2. Hmmm says:

Please don’t have Elena and Damon get back together in the finale. The writers should be running from that relationship. All their chemistry disappeared after they became a couple. They become quite boring and painful to watch.

3. sara says:

No! The Caroline we know would not have or at least not act on feelings for Stefan! Unlike some people, Elena, she is a loyal friend, and one who has said over and over again that Elena and Stefan belong together, are soul mates, she would not get involved with Stefan! Plus she deserves to have someone who does and will only love her, Stefan will always love Elena.

• Cris says:

I completely agree. Again why must the writers wreck a beautiful platonic friendship between opposite sex just to please the shippers. I’m really enjoying Caroline and Stefan’s friendship and I hate that they’re going for the Caroline falling for Stefan route.

• Shaun says:

It happens in real life,there’s a reason they say guys and girls have a hard time being friends.

• Dmav says:

You would think after the epic slide of their ratings they would get a clue and not write the series based on fan service. DE happened because a group of oversexed teenage girls populated twitter with Dalena is Epic, Dalena is Forever etc etc and we now have this mess of a toxic relationship and now they want S/C to happen so it was stays D/E. On top of that you have a show runner in Carolyn Dries who is the biggest Damon fan girl of them all. Add them all up and you get season 5 of the Dalena Diaries. Ugh

• sarah says:

I too prefer Caroline and Stefan as friends! I do not want them to be a couple.

• Chels says:

Because Caroline was so loyal when she slept with Klaus, the man who tried to kill nearly all of her friends at some point and SUCCEEDED in killing Jenna and Tyler’s mom? Not a single character has any consistency or loyalty whatsoever anymore, unfortunately. The writers have destroyed all of them in favor of plot lines, love triangles, and ship wars. :(

4. Jon says:

P. Sure that’s Katherine in pics 3 and 11

5. Anna says:

Caroline, the village bicycle! Can’t this character be written as a caring woman who can show her compassion and sensibility without being sexually attracted to the male object of her care?

• rarefied says:

You do realize you’re watching a soap opera, right?

• Anna says:

I infer YOU must NOT watch soaps because you’d know that women are written as vixens in soaps, not over sensitive little kittens who fall in love with every man they meet, Brooke of B&B being the exception that makes this rule true. Caroline isn’t a soap character, TVD isn’t a soap either.

• ALB41 says:

She is more than that, at least to me….she’s had terrible luck with guys, and Stefan is super sweet, and sometimes the best relationships are built from great friendships…

• Anna says:

I see your point but both Matt and Tyler were terrific BFs to Caroline, they did love her. I’ve lately become a fan of Stefan and I understand why a woman in her right mind would fall in love with him. It’s just that Caroline has never really been single since her abusive tryst with Damon. Making Steroline happen in a season where she was with Tyler, Klaus and Jesse in less than a year, makes her look desperate. It cheapens the character. Make Stefan fall in love with her because she’s worth it, not the other way around.

6. sarah says:

Bonnie will die! I am sure there will be others! I still can not shake this feeling that Damon will die! Which I do not want to happen.

• ALB41 says:

I think someone needs to die to revive the show….hope it’s not Damon, I like bonnie too, but how many times has she “almost” died…

7. Hmm says:

Looks like Damon might be leaving Mystic Falls in one way or another. That shot of him drinking in front of the sign… ominous. I was worried they’d kill him off but he could leave town as well. This show has really gone downhill. And even though I’m no longer watching, really hope they don’t kill off Damon as he was and will always be my favorite character.

8. lisa says:

I think Stefan dies, hes not in any pics and tragedy!!!! aaaah don’t want him to die

9. Andrea says:

Maybe someone will drop a nuclear bomb on Mystic Falls…then justice will be served.

10. tyranthraxus says:

I would laugh if they paired Bonnie up with Damon. It would come out of nowhere and according to spoilers he shares an intense seen with a female castmember in the finale episode.

11. Izzy.d says:

OMG!!! I think Elena is so horrible to Caroline sometimes. I love Steroline but I prefer them as best friends. I don’t think either of the Salvatore’s should be with Elena they should just move on. P.s I think klaroline are the best!!!

12. tisha says:

Damon & Elena are perfect together, i just hoe damon doesnt die like everyones saying hes goin to. I will never watch the show again !!!

• Dmav says:

So perfect he goes on a killing spree when they fight or better yet kills her brother or threatens too more than once. It was perfect when she broke up with Stefan and jumped into bed with his brother the next day. Or the the time he killed her friend Aaron because he was upset. Or when they are together nothing else matters, not her brother, her friends or Stefan. Yes…you are right they are perfect together. *eyes roll*

13. Harmony says:

I know that Stefan and Elena will get back together soon…

14. Lyndsay says:

so sad that sefan dies , didnt want him to. i wouldnt mind that much if bonnie and tyler die but definetly not stefan , going to be so boring now to watch if i even till watch it if they kill stefan off

15. Amy says:

I think vampire diaries is an epic series and tht Caroline and Stephan would be cute together!! I hope daman comes back to life he is really awesome!! =D