Pilot News: Meg Ryan to Narrate HIMYM Spin-Off How I Met Your Dad

Meg Ryan Comedy NBCRom-com darling Meg Ryan and CBS’ How I Met Your Dad are officially MFEO*.

Ryan has signed on to provide the disembodied voice of Future Sally in the How I Met Your Mother spin-off’s pilot, EW.com reports.

PHOTOS | May Sweeps Spoilerpalooza: 99+ Spoilers on Your Favorite Series’ Season-Ending Episodes

HIMYD is described as a “kindred spirit” of HIMYM — only this time telling the story of a relationship from the point of view of Sally (played by Frances Ha‘s Greta Gerwig) a “female Peter Pan” who is thinking of calling it quits with her hubby of a year, Gavin (played by Workaholics‘ Anders Holm).

If CBS picks up the series (which it is likely to do), Ryan would fill the same role Bob Saget did in HIMYM: a heard-but-never-seen, older version of the main character telling her story from some point in the future.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2014: Scoop on This Fall’s (Possible) Newcomers and Who’s Starring in Them

Ryan — star of films like When Harry Met Sally and You’ve Got Mail — last year was cast in an NBC comedy that did not progress past the pilot stage.

*Made for each other. C’mon, you didn’t think you were getting out of this without at least one Sleepless in Seattle reference, did you?

1. Roger says:

Number 31!

2. Calliope says:

Um, didn’t Melanie Griffith play Danny’s mom on Hawaii Five-O?

3. Why do a voiceover of an older version of the character? They used Josh Radnor’s voice in the final scene with the kids on HIMYM, so I no longer understand why they used Saget in the first place.

4. Jillian says:

Spoiler Alert: Sally tells the story of her manic pixie dream-boy only to reveal his tragic death after multiple sperm donations and ultimately asks her kids if she can get back together with her first husband.

5. Love Meg Ryan’s voice, although I might get confused thinking Anastasia is talking to us, still great choice!

6. Eric7740 says:

Thank you Kim for the Sleepless in Seattle reference! NY! It’s YOH!

7. Eric says:

This is awesome! Although a teenage boy, I’m a HUGE fan of rom-coms (yeah, I get enough flack for it from my buds), so I naturally love Meg Ryan. Add to that that I’ve been tuning in to HIMYM weekly for the past six years, own all the seasons, and generally consider myself a superfan (I didn’t even hate the finale all that much!). And here they managed a way to combine my loves! I’m really excited to see how this turns out, given it makes it to air.

• Meredith says:

I love you a little. From your buds to your general non-hate too much regarding the finale, you’re kind of perfection.

8. Citizen of the Internet says:

Nope. Can’t trust Craig Thomas and Carter Bays after the trainwreck that was the end of HIMYM. Not willing to get invested again.

9. SJ says:

If CBS picks up this show after THAT horrid finale they’ll regret it by November. No one is going to want to watch it now. Bays and Thomas really shot themselves in the foot.

10. d4h8a15r16m23a42 says:

Well since she ruined her face voiceover is all that’s left. I didn’t like the HIMYM finale but I’ll give this a shot.

11. Diane Raetz says:

I’m in. If they capture half the magic HIMYM had it’ll still be one of my favorite shows

12. K says:

Yes! Perfect casting.

13. Reba says:

We arlready know how Sally met her husband. They met driving from Chicago to NY!

14. Larry says:

I wish the show was called “How I Conned Your Dad Into Thinking I Was Dead”

15. CJ says:

Am I the only one bothered by the title? The “kindred spirit” of “How I Met Your Mother” should be “How I Met Your Father” not Dad. Mother = Father / Mom = Dad. I know it’s stupid and ridiculously nit-picky, but it will bother me every stinkin’ week!

• Jay7 says:

They did it to differentiate the two series more. Carter and Bays said this in an article awhile back, I think. And although it drives me crazy, as well, that they’re not linear, I do agree with their decision.

• CJ says:

Thanks for confirming my suspicions….but I do not agree with the choice. They have conditioned us for years to have a linguistic rhythm with this funky title, and the hard, single syllable of Dad destroys that rhythm.

16. CK says:

So, I’m guessing that the dad isn’t going to be dead after 7 seasons this go around. However, if that turns out to be the twist in the finale, the creators would be my favorite trolls. Or They could give GRRM a run for his money and just kill everyone.

17. Kendall says:

Cliff’s Notes version: he told me he invented Nachos.

18. Fernanda says:

How I met Your uncle and then marry with my late husband and now and I want to date with your uncle again…. I don’t believe in Carter and Bays anymore

19. Lisa says:

Screw them and their show

20. Maybe the #HIMYM execs will learn how to so a proper Series Finale for “How I Met Your Dad”(#HIMYD)

21. N tTVf says:

CBS will need to pick up just two (perhaps three?) comedy pilots for fall 2014-15. There are some pretty good choices –

More Time With Family (Alyson Hannigan co-stars)
    The Odd Couple (Matthew Perry stars)
    Jim Gaffigan (Ashley Williams co-stars)

Also, ‘Cuz-Bros’, ‘Good Session’ and of course, HIMYD.

From what I’ve read, these appear to be the top six CBS comedy pilots thus far, with probably two given the green-light. I think HIMYD has a good chance of getting a ‘yes’ from CBS, but I’m not sure that is a sure thing at this point given the list of six I’ve noted.

If HIMYD is selected, I assume it will get the 8pm/Monday slot. However, could CBS do just as well with either ‘More Time w/Family’ or ‘Jim Gaffigan’ in that Monday/8pm slot? There must be some good will towards Hannigan and/or Williams for those HIMYM fans who might like to see something with a ‘HIMYM-vibe’ next fall on Monday/8pm, and perhaps, a better option for those HIMYM fans than HIMYD?

If HIMYD is selected for that Monday/8pm slot, I’m fine with that – I’ll watch. But in all honesty, I’d much rather see Hannigan and/or Williams in that Monday/8pm time slot, and if given a choice of just two new pilots selected by CBS, I’d pick Hannigan and Williams’ shows – I’d really like to see more of both next fall.

22. Pat says:

Unfortunately, I have no interest in watching this show. I really do not care who narrates. I am so done with the How I Met Your, Mother, Father, Sister, Brother, Cousins, Nephews, Nieces basically the whole family tree, because I guess that is what they will be aiming for.