NBC's Crossbones Sets Sail With First Trailer: See John Malkovich as Blackbeard

In the mood for some “unseemly conduct”? Good, because the just-released trailer for NBC’s upcoming pirate drama Crossbones, premiering May 30 at 10/9c, is full of it… matey!

RELATED | Scoop: John Malkovich to Star as Blackbeard in NBC’s Crossbones Summer Series

John Malkovich (Red) stars as the iconic pirate king Blackbeard, who enlists the assistance of physician Tom Lowe (Covert Affairs‘ Richard Coyle) to get his hands on an elusive treasure.

Hit PLUNDER PLAY on the video below, then drop a comment with your thoughts on Crossbones.

_

1. DL says:

Wasn’t really able to get into Starz’s Black Sails, but I’ll give this one a shot because of Malkovich and Coyle. Blown away they got Malkovich to do this series. Makes me think the scripts must be good.

• Stormy says:

Different strokes, I guess. I’d be all for with two exceptions, Malkovich and NBC.

• DL says:

Fair enough. As for me, NBC’s earned back my respect, in spades. Blacklist is great, The Voice is highly entertaining, as always I adore Parenthood, plus bringing Dan Harmon back to Community has made for a strong fifth season. But really, they had me at renewing Hannibal for season 2. It is far and away one of my favorite shows on television right now, and Bryan Fuller (and the cast) are just killing it (pun intended) this season. Praying for a miraculous season 3 renewal.

• Ben says:

I’ve been on board with NBC since they have done well by me with Parenthood, Chuck, Parks and Rec etc… they were the first network to recognise that ratings are lower across the board and they might be better off supporting programming that they knew was of quality regardless of average ratings.

2. Spitey Spice says:

They had me at Malkovich. The trailer looks great!

3. tp says:

I’m guessing this is a limited run because I just don’t see Malkovich sticking sround to do a series seriously. Looks though. already have it set to record.

4. mtmslg says:

Black Sails meets Heart of Darkness?? NBC can’t handle the jewel they have in Hannibal, what’s the chance they can handle this one??

5. Ben says:

I’ve been waiting for this a long time – I have no interest in Black Sails because, despite the fact it aired first, Crossbones was announced and in production first – just another sign (for me) that hopefully its really quite good.

• Alex says:

Starz were already filming, or just weeks away from starting principle photography on Black Sails season 2, when Crossbones started shooting.

Maybe Starz didn’t announce Black Sails a year and a half before they began production on Season 1, but believe me, they were first.

Now that doesn’t mean anyone is copying the other, it just means Black Sails was the first one.

• Ben says:

I wasn’t intending to say anyone was copying each other – and I was thinking of announced on TVLine. It’s just that I was excited for Crossbones before Black Sails was announced, and it is hard for me to be excited about two (despite the fact Toby Stephens is one of my favourite actors).
        And yeah, Crossbones was announced so long ago its ridiculous.

• CBWBDK1 says:

That’s not true. Black Sails was in production before crossbones was even announced. The trailer looks terrible. Malkovich as black beard is ridiculous and it’s nbc! How can nbc make a good pirate show?

• Ben says:

Trailer looks awesome to me. And NBC makes quality TV – I don’t care what the ratings say. I love Parenthood, Parks and Rec, Community… have you watched the Blacklist? Chuck was awesome. On the other hand, I don’t watch the vast bulk of CBS’ copycat cop/forensic dramas despite their huge ratings. And as for ABC, I get a lot of pleasure from watching some of their shows (Once, Greys, Scandal for example) but I don’t call them high quality – more like guilty pleasure watching. NBC is the network I’d most trust with this show.

6. A says:

Am I mistaken, or was Hugh Laurie initially up for this role? I know I’m in the minority, but I really don’t take to Malkovich. Skeeves me out which, I guess, may be sort of the point.

• Stormy says:

I agree about him being the problem. Teach was British and JM’s accent is pathetic. Also for some reason [maybe because of Red] I see him as a comedic actor and not believable in this concept.

• Carmen says:

Yes, he was. At some point you could see it in his upcoming projects in IMDB. Maybe the schedule conflicted with his concert tour. Too bad, he would have made an excellent Blackbeard.

7. fleiter says:

Hate to be the historian spoilsport here, but Blackbeard was actually not a very successful pirate, and he had long black hair and a long black beard. Plus the only treasure he ever found was gold coins and slaves on slave ships and commodities such as sugar and tobacco on cargo ships. Looks fun, though.

8. Kristy K says:

Just watched the first episode and I was seriously disappointed. I watched Black Sails and it is fantastic! Crossbones seems to have basically stolen script pages from them and Malkovich attempting the British accent is pathetic. I was really hoping to enjoy this but it just fell completely flat.