Idol's Dexter Roberts Talks Song Clearance Woes, Anthemic Country Jams and More!

Tip your cowboy trucker hat: American Idol‘s 7th place finisher Dexter Roberts is in the house for a live interview discussing the trouble with rearranging songs, the stress of “Rush Week” and the unexpected Group Night twist on the Backstreet Boys!

We also talk about why we didn’t see more “Dexterization” during his Season 13 run, what went wrong with his rendition of “Cruise” and how he felt about essentially dueting with Season 8 standout Allison Iraheta during his cover of “One Mississippoi.”

Press PLAY below for Dexter’s Reality Check exit interview, and follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV for all my Idol news, recaps, interviews, videos and exclusives!

1. Teena says:

Seems like a nice guy

2. Jase says:

No episode of Reality Check this week? :(

3. Kelly says:

He’d said in another interview that the band wouldn’t let him change arrangements from the original.

• JKR says:

That seems quite odd considering that is what lead to some of the best Idol moments ever (see: David Cook and Kris Allen)

4. Melanie says:

So sad to see him out. I looked forward to his performances.

5. gina says:

Haven’t watched the interview yet. My heart is still broken that he was eliminated. MJ posted a video of Dexter with Kelly Ripa.

6. Canadian Lady says:

Sorry to see him go. I love country music and thought he was/is the “real deal.” When he sings slow story songs that showcase his voice, like “Lucky Man” and “One Mississippi,” he is SO good.

Re the Patsy Cline song – Oh Dexter, that might have put you into the top 3. It could have been the “moment’ fans are looking for.

I really hate seeing him go because I think there is so much untapped potential. I really don’t think he realizes how good he is. But it sure sounds like TPTB didn’t want him to win.

• I agree with you. Dexter has a great voice. We have tickets just to see him live on Tour. Can’t wait. Truly he is the real deal, genuine and what a classy guy. Love his original, Farmer’s Grandson and Lucky Man. Wish we can get itunes or album. He is already our idol.

7. Tom22 says:

Thanks Michael. Great interview and I enjoyed the extended lenght that let Dexter expand on the leading questions. He’s very well spoken (whether non southerners can understand it or not) He has a really good attitude to getting criticized for not doing what he was trying to but not given as much leeway to do it as he liked.

I’d love to hear producers speak a little more about how songs are cleared and their considerations in which songs they allow.

Really the producers could explain it best in a way that didn’t feel threatening to their process but perhaps helped us understand some of the barriers they had that contributed to occasional frustration of contestants and viewers. (probably with an interviewer that tossed softball questions.. but that would be ok.. we’d learn a bit more around the edges at least)

8. GuitarBlue says:

At this point, each contestant has had many weeks of national exposure, been seen and heard by a great number of people in the entertainment & music business.

They have all the contacts made on the show, youtube video of performances, Twitter followings, thousands of new Facebook friends, etc…………………..

After the tour, there will be ample opportunities if the artist really does have a broad appeal. But, it’s a crowded field in the Country market and you need a hit to stick around for very long, in the upper level of the business.

9. clare says:

What happened to the audio? Listening to MK, MR, and Miliah, when they would look down, or turn their head, it was hard to make out what they were saying. I can’t say that about Dex because, frankly, I didn’t really fully listen. Sorry Dex. I remember in the past interviews, they were so clear. Adam Lambert’s come to mind because, frankly, he’s one of the only interviews I remember well. Yes, I like Adam. And still do. Anyway, I digress. Is it my computer speakers, or is it the audio on your part?

10. ara says:

Was the audio recorded at 2 bits per sample 8kHz or something? Since Malaya’s interview the audio quality has become unbearably bad!

11. Chris says:

It’s hardly audible. Think of changing this goole thing. I can’t listen!
    Otherwise don’t bother the contestants!

12. Jess says:

So, we can’t really criticize the contestants for song choice anymore considering it seems like they don’t have a lot of control with that. And, really, why are TPTB so limited with that when a lot of the breakout performances (Carrie with “Alone,” Candice with “Lovesong,” David Cook with “Hello”) are songs you wouldn’t have picked for those singers.

I still maintain Mariah Carey, rambling as she was, was the one judge who didn’t bend to the will of TPTB. She pushed for Candice from day 1.

13. darcy the slutty twin says:

Oh Dexter! <3

14. MamaLis says:

Nice interview. CRAPPY sound. I almost gave up cause I couldn’t make-out a dang word you guys were saying but…. I hung in there.

I love Dexter in that he’s a serious straight-shooter. That’s awesome.

Also glad to hear he’s moving to Nashville. He always had a great voice and he sure has a great personality. From his background he’s also an old-fashioned hard worker so hey – great things could happen!

Godspeed, Dexter!!

15. JoyFromMaine says:

Harry suggested “Wichata Lineman” for Dexter to sing and many of us Dexter fans thought he should have tried that on his last week that the contestants gave him a song choice. Probably would have landed h in top three. Dexter has talent for country music, but he needs to sing ballads that show his passion for the art. The anthem songs should have been less indulgent until he could win everyone over hat he has star quality. Stopped watching AI when Dex got the boot. Waiting for Dexter to record his first hit and show America Dexter can make it just like other AI contestants before him-Kellie Pickler and Chris Daughtry!

16. I love Michael’s face when Dexter says he wants to sing Don’t Want to Miss a Thing.