Exclusive

Exclusive Mentalist Sneak Peek: Pike Has Big News for Lisbon -- and It's Not Good

Ready for a huge bummer? Agents Pike and Lisbon play a game of Good News/Bad News in Sunday’s The Mentalist (CBS, 10/9c) and TVLine has your exclusive first look at the big reveal.

RELATED | The Mentalist Video: What (or Who) Made Lisbon Late to a Crime Scene…?

What begins as a sweet, candlelit dinner quickly goes down in flames when Pike informs Lisbon of his new job offer — and, more importantly, that new job’s location.

Hit PLAY on the video below, then drop a comment with your condolences for Lisbon.

_

Loading video...

1. CBWBDK1 says:

I’m sure Patrick Jane is glad he’s leaving.

• Andy Swift says:

Haha, yeah, I won’t expect any condolence-comments from him.

• Hey Andy, any whispers about the shows renewal chances? Either at CBS or elsewhere?

• Larry J. says:

This is absurd, she’s not going to leave Jane, she’s the only reason he signed on with the FBI. If she leaves, the show is over. Who wants to see Jane, Cho, and the original FBI agents. If the writers decide to have her leave with a man she’s known for only three weeks… wrap it up, I’ll be the first one to quit watching the show. If this was a real life situation, Jane would quit the second she was gone… Back to Mexico…

• Emy says:

Considering the show is over in 4 episodes, it’s very likely they’re going to make her leave anyway. It would be a very realistic end for her to go to DC and for him to go back wherever he was before he joined the FBI. Although I have to admit changing your whole life for a guy you went on three dates with ? Not that realistic.

• @CBWBDK1 says:

Haha. He’s not alone. But like the person below said, we know she gets a job offer and he proposes. Kind of crazy because they barely have dated at all. I just hope this all works out and she ends up with Patrick Jane. They have really great chemistry together.

2. Tikismile says:

Given what an obnoxious plot device Pike is, many of us really wouldn’t be sad if he went sooner rather than later.

• Holly says:

Amen to that! My dad said that Pike is just a stupid plot device to throw Jane and Lisbon together and that the writers were trying to be clever, but failed. . .

• Martoukian says:

I think it’s only “obnoxious” because they’re having to rush it somewhat. If they were going to have a Jane/Lisbon romantic storyline, there had to be some pretext to get it started. In an ideal world, they would let it simmer for at least half a season, but they don’t have that kind of time now.

3. macchief says:

It’s already been basically been revealed that Lisbon decides to go with him, but is delayed in doing so because of a case, and that he proposes to her in the finale.

4. Wow! Thanks for the sneak peek, can’t wait to watch the episode!! :)

5. Danny says:

No condolences from me, sorry, haha. Too bad he’ll stick around for a few more episodes, with lots of complications ahead. Make your move, Jane! Lisbon looks very pretty, tho. Thanks for the sneak peak!

• P. Savastano says:

Lisbon does look pretty. And to the writers [if they ever read these things! I don't know] who put Lisbon in a dress two weeks in a row, thank you. Thank you a lot. And same here on the no condolences thing.

6. Tav says:

Quick observation, Lisbon says Pike’s a terrible liar–adding that she likes that in a man–and just a couple eps earlier she told Jane he was a terrible liar, hmm…
    Anywho, TPTB better have some kind of contingency plan in place (like filmed two different season/series? finale endings) in case the show gets canceled. But if Jane and Lisbon don’t finally kiss/get together (because Heller & Co. are dragging it out betting on renewal) I will rage.

7. LEP says:

Those are some major shoulder pads she’s got on!

8. Bonnie Maynes says:

I’m glad Pike is leaving. I hope Lisbon doesn’t go with him. Please save the Mentalist.

9. J says:

Nice to see Robin again in a dress! Loving all this Mentalist coverage, Matt.

10. Pat says:

We want and deserve JISBON now.We have waited 6 seasons for this.Get rid of Pike..

11. janice green says:

I love the mentalist it is one of my favorite shows been it since day one so please don’t take off the tv

12. Gaelle says:

Thank you for the sneak peek! Can’t wait :)

13. Bonnie Maynes says:

Please renew the Mentalist.

14. SanJoseGirl says:

Why now? I mean, they had almost six years to find Lisbon a nice guy. And Jane had six years to come to terms with his feelings and confess his love and make a move. Now, it seems like they are rushing through everything they have missed out on over the years. Don’t know yet if I should be looking forward to the finale this season or if I should be dreading it. Oh, and, of course, I don’t want The Mentalist canceled (otherwise I wouldn’t be here, I guess).

• Ro says:

“And Jane had six years to come to terms with his feelings and confess his love and make a move.”
      I don’t think he could have done that until he’d resolved the Red John damage to his psyche and got to a good place.

15. tara17 says:

I’d be happy for Jisbon to happen, and can it be in a fashion that’s respectful to the characters? Jane has been through so much and he’s a master of human behavior. Why can’t he just be honest about how he feels toward Lisbon, whatever that is. The passive-aggressive behavior seems out of place.

16. arial2 says:

“huge bummer”? You’re being sarcastic, right? The whole Pike thing is so lame! But, after totally uncharismatic McAllister turned out to be RJ, I’ve learned to expect little from these writers.

17. Don’t go with him Lisbon! Stay with Jane and give us a season 7!

18. Laura C says:

Sure hope Lisbon doesn’t get together with Jane, she should go with this new dude wherever he goes and get Jane a new partner/love interest. Never liked Lisbon & she and Jane are more like bro & sis than romantic couple. Jane deserves better.

• Emy says:

It’s funny, I agree with you on one point : they sure as hell aren’t “great” together. They’re friends, family even. It would be so weird to put them together.
      But I see it backwards : I think Jane is the one who doesn’t deserve such a great woman. He’s been a crappy friend to her, lied a thousand times and in case everyone else forgot that little deatil, he’s a freakin murderer ! She should leave with the other guy so she wouldn’t have to put up with Jane’s nonsense anymore.

19. A Moor says:

Please ask someone to Stop Playing the loud, lousy & annoying background music in the above & all network shows.

20. Luna says:

IT FINALLY ENDED, I COULD NOT TAKE JANE’S SUFFERING ANYMORE!!! JISBON IS GONNA HAPPEN, YAAAAY!!

21. redjane12 says:

That’s a lie! He has a job over at King’s Landing kicking ass in Game of Thrones… I can’t take Pike seriously in The Mentalist cause in GoT he is such a scary badass…

I would not be surprised if The Mentalist did let Lisbon go with Pike so the show would end in a similar way to In Plain Sight (an ending I hated personally but hey). I am still hopeful for a 7th season, even if shorter, but most TV commentators seem to assume The Mentalist is ending this season.