Ratings: Scandal Finale Draws Record Crowd

Scandal RatingsTalk about going out with a bang.

Scandal closed out its third season Thursday with its most-watched finale yet — 10.5 million viewers. [Update: Per final data, the episode ticked up to a series-best 10.6 million viewers.] In the 18-49 demo, the episode drew a 3.4 demo rating, another finale high and the show’s second-best young adult number to date.

RELATED | Scandal Finale Recap: Did [Spoiler] Die?

Per ABC, Scandal finished Season 3 up 39 percent in viewers and 43 percent in adults 18-49 to post its highest-rated season so far.

Over on NBC, Community wrapped its fifth (and final?) season with a 1.0 demo rating, up 10 percent week-over-week, while Parenthood ended Season 5 with a 1.3 — an 18 percent jump from last week.

Other Thursday highlights: The Crazy Ones concluded its first (and final?) season with a series-low 1.5; Grey’s Anatomy notched a 2.5 (down 4 percent); and Vampire Diaries drew a 0.7 (down 13 percent) while Reign (0.4) was flat.

1. nate says:

now im really worried about parenthood

• herman1959 says:

NBC didn’t help with all of the commercials. This is one of the very few shows I watch live – now I know why. YUCK.

2. Elyse says:

I’m not surprised since they hyped the episode so much. Scott Foley said it would break twitter… Not with that episode. All IMO of course. I just thought the episode was meh.

• dude says:

I didn’t expect the Rowan reveal and I thought it was a good episode but it was more depressing than it was shocking.

• Elyse says:

The Rowan reveal was definitely insane! Didn’t see that one coming. Maybe my expectations for the episode were just too high.

3. David4 says:

The episode was very meh. I think the season four premiere has a very good chance of being down badly. Nothing special or shocking happened. It feels like they just rebooted the show to the second season of the beginning of season three.

4. gaby6034 says:

I couldn’t agree more, the episode was meh. This season has nothing to do with S2. They twists interesting plots with bombs? :/

5. Robert Dinca says:

The entire episode was subpar but most shocking for me was that it ended without a cliffhanger.This is the kind of show that lives beacause of cliffhangers

• David4 says:

Exactly. I wonder if Pope comes back!

And with what’s his name having a gun pointed at him, isn’t shocking. He has been useless in the episodes and has real life legal issues.

• nate says:

they left that part a cliffhanger cause he’s been having legal & life troubles in real life so Shonda gave him a choice. to get his sh*t together or gtfo

• herman1959 says:

Based on the latest reports, I think he will be getting out. Too bad, because the finale was the most screen he has had in awhile.

6. ggny says:

Holy hell. What happen to Vampire Diaries? Did people just get tired of the show?

• tv2day says:

Way too many off weeks. With the Olympics it was worse this year. Blacklist suffered with this since as well as other shows. If it wasn’t for the season pass on dvr I would have missed vamp diaries yesterday. I thought they were still off.

• Guest says:

The writers is what happened to the show. The last couple of seasons have been horrible and it has just gotten worse week to week. The writers placated the teen Ian Somerhalder fans and killed the show.

7. TAL says:

Reblogged this on TAL CONFIDENTIAL and commented:
    Congratulations to the cast and crew of ‘Scandal’! Well done.

8. tv2day says:

Amazing episode. People tend to lean towards the happily ever after finales. I prefer the dark utter destruction bad news type of finales…and this wax that.excellent job. Wait til the dvr numbers come in. That’s how I watch every show. I cannot sit thru commercials. Lol!

9. Joe says:

Scandal was meh for me don’t know if I’m tuning in in the fall

10. Eric says:

Unfortunately, those finale numbers are probably the nail in The Crazy Ones’s coffin. The Community and Parenthood numbers weren’t amazing, but I won’t give up hope until I hear definite word of their fate from NBC.

11. Everything is very open with a precise clarification of the
    challenges. It was definitely informative. Your website is very helpful.
    Thank you for sharing!

12. the girl says:

Hey Ausiello – am I right that ABC hasn’t renewed any of its shows yet? Or did I miss something?

• Patty says:

You’re correct. ABC-TV usually announces its new-line up in mid-May.

• N tTVf says:

I just rechecked my notes – ABC (apparently) has not officially announced renewals yet (?) I noticed CBS, NBC, FOX, and CW have made some announcements – none thus far at ABC.

The reason? Perhaps due to some mgmt. changes there – Anne Sweeney (one of my favorite execs!) will be leaving ABC at year’s end, and her replacement (ABC News chief) probably needs a bit of time to get set up in the LA office. Paul Lee, who is currently ABC Television chief, just signed his new contract extension, so he probably needed to ‘stay low’ until he knew he still had a job. ;)

With Paul Lee coming back, I doubt we’ll see too many surprises with the ABC 2014 schedule. Scandal, Greys, DWTS, Castle, Revenge, OUAT are locks for renewal. Nashville, Last Man, Goldbergs and the new Resurrection will make it to next fall as well.

That leaves ‘bubble’ shows (see TVLine article on Bubble shows from a couple of weeks ago) : SHIELD, Neighbors, Trophy, Suburgatory, Mix, etc. I think SHIELD will finish strong and will get picked up, Trophy Wife will move to Friday, and Neighbors won’t make it.The rest? Probably no room on 2014 schedule.

So, in general, if your favorite ABC show is doing okay/good/great in ratings, no worries, it is coming back as is Paul Lee. I think the big question will be Trophy Wife or Neighbors – probably one, not both, will make it to fall.

13. Cdeno says:

Well good for Scandal. It was a good episode. But ABC did more promotion for the Scandal finale than I think any show ever. The fact that the ratings were not higher is actually shocking.

As for Greys Anatomy-not surprised it didn’t do that well considering ABC and Shonda didn’t seem to care that it was even on.

• herman1959 says:

Definitely, ABC manipulated the ratings for the second half of the season. Review: ratings were up for post-break preview, then down for two straight weeks. THEN, up after the OMG advertisements; same situation for the finale – they hyped the bomb for 2 weeks straight including an unusually early preview. We’re on to you, ABC!

14. DV says:

Did Parks and Rec do something to TVline? First no recap of the MAJOR twist with Leslie’s pregnancy and then skipped in the ratings today. Although I can see the skip in the ratings because their ratings are so depressing.

• Television Scout says:

Park & Rec 2.39m viewers/0.9 in demo. Numbers probably will be adjusted up a bit w/DVR+ tallies.

• Ace says:

I imagine it might be because it’s already renewed, so people aren’t as concerned about the numbers.

And although they didn’t recap Leslie’s pregnancy, they did feature it in the questions article.

15. Fabe says:

I’m glad TVD is dropping. They’ve really screwed up every good thing they had going. Killing (SPOILER) Katherine was the worst thing they could have ever done. They deserve these terrible ratings.

• Maryann says:

Katherine’s death was way overdue and well deserved. Seeing her get hers was my favorite moment of the season other than the alternate timeline fantasy with Stefan and Elena.

• Guest says:

I couldn’t agree more!!!! They should just end it. There is no way to return the show to it’s former seasons 1-3 glory!

16. amanda says:

Hm.I think I like it better when mitovich did the ratings coverage. Ausiello just seems like he wants to get through it as quickly as possible.

• Television Scout says:

The guys {Michael/Matt/co.] are probably over loaded right now as they approach the holiday this weekend and have to keep things brief. Just in case you don’t hear back with more ratings info. from the TVLine team, check out our colleagues at TVbytheNumbers, and you’ll be able to catch up on the latest in ratings news.

• amanda says:

Nope just saw on twitter that Matt is on vacation so it’s probably just a time crunch from that. I too hate extra work when a coworker is on leave so I can’t blame Ausiello.

17. wonderwall says:

Is it me or did they skip posting Wednesday’s ratings??? What’s up with that TVline???

• N tTVf says:

See comment above by my colleague ‘Television Scout’. Holiday coming up this weekend – have to wrap things up more quickly as TVLine team gets ready to enjoy the 2-3 day break.

In meantime, check out our friends at TVbytheNumbers – they’ll have ratings on Wed/Thursday, etc. on most any show you’ll like more info on.

Have a good weekend everyone – rest up – Upfront/’May-madness’/Pilot Shows are coming!!! :)

• Jillian says:

The Hollywood Reporter posts full ratings.

• wonderwall says:

Ahhhh, I keep on forgetting about Easter! I apologize! Thanks for the suggestions guys :)

18. Rebecca Parker says:

I’m really sad about The Crazy Ones’ numbers, and I really hope CBS gives it another chance. It has one of the best TV ensembles (especially Hamish Linklater, James Wolk and Amanda Setton). You would think they could reduce their costs with all the product placement.

19. Maryann says:

That season finale of Scandal felt more like a series finale. I wonder if there is any chance Kerry Washington could leave for personal reasons, as in ” new baby” ?

• herman1959 says:

Don’t worry about that, I’m sure Shonda will bend over backwards to make sure KW returns for at least one more season.

• Nick says:

Agreed, I thought the same when I finally watched the episode. Looks like a series finale, with most loosen ends tied up. I mean, it seems like Harrison’s gonna bite the dust, Rosen has all the stuff he needs to bring down B613, Mellie and Fitz are close due to his son’s loss and Olivia left for good with Mr. third wheel Jake. I can’t see how they can make it interesting again.
      Finally, the entire election thing was handled really bad, but that’s probably due to having to fit it all in only 18 episodes. Perhaps the worst Scandal episode of the entire season.

20. Why Not Wait? says:

What I don’t understand is, these are ratings that are posted–but, they all either adjust up or down as they continue to compile the numbers. This was posted at 8:16 am–usually they don’t have everything compiled before the afternoon. What’s the rush? I’d rather have it accurate instead of early numbers. Case in point, the ratings for Tuesday night where it was written that NCIS was so low etc., when the numbers adjusted up by the afternoon it was extremely different and made the article written look totally inaccurate.

21. woodyinho says:

James Wolk show killer strikes again?

22. Sharia says:

I kinda lost interest in Scandal when they quit handling SCANDALS! It’s predictable in a engaging way. I’ll tune in just cause its what the office talks about. I wonder how the track the ratings from Hulu?? Cause thts how I end up watching a lot of stuff lately. Plus, I don’t want them to kill off the cute guy.

23. Spencer says:

So Parks and Rec was nonexistent last night?

24. Magali says:

I’m just so sad we’re probably not gonna get a second season of The Crazy Ones. That show is so good, great cast, I’ll miss those characters so much…

25. Whatevah says:

I love Scandal. The show just keeps getting better every season!

26. bayonle123 says:

Kind of not looking foward to Season 4 of Scandal. The finale was trash, the way they just put the solutions to mysteries was AWFUL! don’t get me wrong the show kept me interested, but honestly just got worse and worse.

• RReg says:

LOL. You claim the show has gotten worse and worse yet Whatevah claims it has gotten better and better. If we were using a bell curve you would be on one end and that poster would be on another. Interesting…

27. rose says:

I love scandle. Its a great show. The season finale was full of excitement Good job scandal staff.(

28. rose says:

I love scandaI. Its a great show. The season finale was full of excitement Good job scandal staff.

29. Mzmm says:

Loved the season, loved the finale. But its seems after reading Blog and blog that I am that I am the only person that things Melliie set up the rape. When she told Cyrus to come back tomorrow (after he was through with Fitz) I figured she had a plan….and the plan was to allow Big Jerry to rape her so that she would hold this over him in order to back Fitz…and thus Cyrus would come back and ensure Fitz wins as governor. Now this has nothing to do with my personal views of how rape is a violent disgusting crime. But as a scandal watcher that is what I thought was really going on. But it seems I’m the only one in the world who thinks so or at least not afraid to say they think so. Please refrain from the rape comments…again this is what I thought was the scandal behind the script writing of that storyline.

30. Lorene says:

I never thought mellie set up her rape, It was just sad for her to think that wanting the life of a politicians wife. could take presidence over the horrible thing that happened to her, proved to be a huge mistake. It set up the whole scenario of how the Olivier Popes of the world come into your life.

31. Good day! Do ƴou usse Twitter? ӏ’d like tօ follow үou if that would bе oқ.
    I’m undoubtedly enjoyimg ƴour blog and look forward to neԝ posts.

32. laugh says:

I do not know if it’s just me or if perhaps everyone
    else encountering issues with your blog. It looks like some of the text in your posts are running off the
    screen. Can somebody else please comment and let me know if this is happening to them as well?
    This could be a issue with my web browser because I’ve had this
    happen previously. Many thanks