Lara Spencer Promoted to GMA Co-Anchor

Lara Spencer GMALara Spencer is movin’ on up. The Good Morning America staple has been promoted to co-anchor, joining Robin Roberts and George Stephanopoulus at the helm of the ABC morning news program.

RELATED | Josh Elliott Leaving GMA for NBC Sports; ABC Quickly Names Replacement

The announcement was made Friday by ABC News President James Goldston in a memo to his staff. Here’s his full statement on Spencer’s promotion:

A key member of our on-air team, Lara Spencer, rejoined ABC three years ago – bringing her style, humor, sunny confidence, wonderful journalism and storytelling to GMA. Lara is clearly an essential ingredient in the success we have enjoyed and I am so pleased to announce that Lara has been elevated to co-host of the program along with Robin and George.

Lara grew up at WABC and GMA and then returned to us in 2011 as GMA mounted its epic challenge. A New York Times best-selling author with another book on the way, the creator and executive producer of Flea Market Flip on HGTV and great mom to Duff and Kate, Lara is simply as talented as they come.

1. Deann says:

I may be in a minority but this sends me directly to Today! I find Ms. Spencer long in saccharine and short in journalism. She is probably a lovely person but she gives me a toothache!

2. BrooklynMike says:

Ugh. She’s absolutely one of the most talentless, annoying, obsequious people on the air. First Strahan, then Spencer. I’ve yet to see her ask a tough question, relate any credible information, or participate in an adult conversation. Thanks, GMA – you’ve made the decision to NEVER watch your show again very easy

3. ME says:

Golf claps… I like George but sticking with Al, Tamron (whom I am loving!), Carson, Willie, and Natalie at Today

4. Amanda says:

I agree with the previous posts. She’s the one thing that always brought GMA down to me. I recently lost my east coast ABC channel and was upset that I could no longer watch in the mornings. Now with Sam and Josh both gone and Lara promoted, I don’t really care. I don’t see the point in three anchors anyway unless one of the other two is planning a change soon.

5. Josh says:

So at this point GMA and Today are saying “We aren’t real news programs!”…Thank GOd for CBS Morning News, you know, they’re actually NEWS

6. Amanda says:

I don’t see how a different title will change anything, I mean she has a great deal of airtime already. It seems their doing everything they can hoping viewers want notice the gaping spot left by Josh Elliot and Sam Champion’s departure. I think I will permanently switch to CBS’s morning show, its a little dry but it does have more of a focus on news. Besides GMA spends more time promoting an interview and talking about their Social Square than they spend actually talking to the guest.

7. I think GMA was having problems long before Josh and Sam left. To me, the major problem is that there is so little news covered. Of course, I shouldn’t be surprised. World News Tonight spends more time on nonsense than news too. There sure aren’t many journalists left and of the ones that still exist, the majority of them are not on television.

8. TJ says:

Well I’m happy for this news! Sorry to see so many complaints about her not being serious enough from fellow tvline readers. off to read GoT spoilers.

9. HSM says:

Dim bulb.

10. Pam Mendez says:

I love Lara. I think this is great news. All of you can change the channel, I am sticking with GMA.

11. Television Scout says:

…gotta justify that pay raise somehow – more airtime for LS, why not. Earn your money young lady!! ;)

In fairness to LS, they/ABC may have plans that we don’t yet know about, and they may be moving LS into that co-anchor spot in case George S. gets moved upward. I’m betting he will be promoted by this time next year (around May 2015).

How much longer will Diane Sawyer stay on as anchor of the Nightly News? She was close with the now departing head of the News Dept. (who is now being promoted into the Entertainment Division to replace the departing Anne Sweeney). With a change in leadership at ABC News, I suspect a change will come to the ABC Nightly News within a year, and Stephanopoulus will move into the Nightly News slot – Diane will take on other roles at ABC.

The Networks are ‘turning the page’ and going younger – ABC has removed Oprah, Regis, Barbara in rapid succession – Diane is next. After her, it will be Kelly Ripa at the end of her current contract. Changes coming at ABC.

The ABC morning desk will be RR, Michael, LS and GZ going forward. GS will move on. If he doesn’t get the ABC Nightly News job for some reason, GS may be able to jump networks – I think he may be that good/golden at this point. Those ABC Morning Show ratings started to go upward when he showed up on set a couple of years ago – that is good for something in the way of contract negotiations, either at ABC, or maybe CBS.

• ChrisGa says:

Not sure how the succession plan works at ABC, but I’d think David Muir is pretty high on the list for Sawyer’s position should she vacate it.

• Television Scout says:

Yep, you are correct – it will come down to Stephanopoulus and Muir. But I gotta tell ya, if they promote Muir over Stephanopoulus, all hell will break loose at ABC News and GMA. If they do that to GS, he’ll be working at CBS with Norah O’Donnell in about fifteen minutes and the CBS Morning show will be breathing down ABC/GMA and NBC/Today necks within two months.

If Muir wants that top job at ABC News, he’d better pack his PJs and start getting up at 3am, because the path to the top job at ABC News is through the GMA show. Charlie Gibson had to take that path, Diane Sawyer had to take that path, GS is taking that path, and that’s the path Muir will have to take.

To their credit, Gibson and Sawyer went [back in CG's case] to GMA when they were in deep trouble years ago – ABC had tossed out CG and JL and had really messed up GMA; ABC ‘owed’ them [Gibson and Sawyer] big time at that point when the ratings for GMA started to climb, and both ‘earned’ that ABC Nightly News spot. Stephanopoulus is earning that now with the GMA gig.

GMA makes the money – the nightly news programs are ‘loss-leaders’ – they are sponsored by prescription drug companies at this point – their demo … well, let’s just say, there is a reason the drug companies are sponsoring these once golden nightly news shows. But the prestige is still there, and the money paid to these nightly news anchors (Sawyer, Pelley, Williams) is pretty darn good.

I’ll say this – it would be pretty funny to see Muir get the top job, then see the calamity at GMA as a result, and see Stephanopoulus walk off GMA bolt to CBS – I’d watch that drama all week and all month long!

12. Boiler says:

I’m not sure how this is going to play out. They certainly don’t need 3 anchors. I’m starting to feel sorry for George! I like Lara but her job on the show is part of the problem…

13. albean99 says:

I like Lara. She may be perky but that’s doesn’t mean she’s not smart. I guess it makes sense because Robin & George are often not there. I don’t watch GMA for just the latest news and have been watching since I was young. I just can’t get into the Today show or the CBS one.

14. Mary says:

When I think of Lara, it’s not news that comes to mind. I know GMA isn’t all that newsy, but they should keep George and Robin as anchors, and leave Lara as is.

15. Kim says:

GMA is no longer morning news. Hasn’t been for well over a year now..and this is just the final nail in the coffin.

16. Marcia says:

I still watch GMA…but Lara is the weakest link. She’s like a cartoon and I can see how that appeals to some people.

17. Vickie Fischer says:

I agree with all the negative comments about Ms. Spencer. I find her to be self-serving and totally obnoxious, and I am seriously considering leaving GMA because of her. She finds herself so funny, but I find her to be repulsive. Please, please, please take Lara off the air!

18. rburk says:

One big obnoxious mistake…she has to be the most annoying anchorperson on all of tv.. looking for another program that actually gives me the news..if I wanted more celebrity worship I would watch E!