Exclusive

The 100's Thomas McDonell Reveals Finn and Clarke's New 'Obstacle' -- Plus: An Exclusive Clip

Violent natives, terrifying creatures, radioactive fog — Finn has managed to survive everything The 100 has thrown at him so far. But tonight’s episode (9/8c) introduces an obstacle no CW star can ever truly survive: a love triangle.

RELATED | The 100′s Devon Bostick Previews ‘Heartbreaking’ Twists, New Dangers — Plus: Who’s Dying Next?

“It gets tricky for them,” Thomas McDonell tells TVLine of Finn and Clarke’s budding romance. “Their biggest obstacle will be Finn’s other girlfriend, Raven, who’s now down from space. He thought he’d never see her again, then suddenly, there she is. Plus, she’s a total babe and everybody loves her. She kind of saves the day.”

But before you go accusing Finn of two-timing, McDonell has a defense prepared: “He just can’t help himself. He fell in love with Clark, but he also remained in love with Raven. It’s tricky business.”

As for what we can expect from the rest of the season, McDonell promises it “goes exponentially up in craziness. War breaks out, it gets crazy.”

(Sounds crazy.)

Hit PLAY on TVLine’s exclusive sneak peek of tonight’s episode below, then drop a comment with your thoughts on The 100.

_

Loading video...

1. Marcie says:

I thought I would love this show, and I lasted for 3 episodes. Then I got so bored, I stopped mid-episode to look up a recap instead. Teen angst in dystopia. It’s the same tried and true CW formula in a different setting.

2. azu says:

When will the cw stop this love triangle nonsense?

3. Katherine215 says:

I’m really liking this show so far, hope they can keep it up. Not a huge fan of love triangles, but I’m enjoying Thomas McDonell, so I’ll survive it. :) I just wish they would tone Clarke’s self-righteousness down a bit.

• T. says:

Clarke is the most sensible person down there. She just wants to keep everyone alive including those on the arc. Most of those 100 kids are stupid.

• Katherine215 says:

Yeah, I get that. But she can be a little obnoxious about it is all I’m saying.

• Linda says:

Clarke is really annoying and the actress does not impress me as a lead. I have no interest in her and Finn as they have no damn chemistry so he can stay with Raven.

• Amelia Earhart says:

No way girl!

• Scene says:

she isnt annoying she is amazing. beautiful and raven is a cocky bitch

• Chayer says:

If you think they have no chemistry you’ve gotta be blind. And I think Eliza Taylor and Thomas Mcdonell are amazing actors

• Tanika says:

Raven and him are only together because she’s attached to him mentally. He saved her, she thinks she owes him. But him and Clarke started something. He loves her and he proves it when he catches her even though she’s infected. She loves him but she doesn’t want to hurt Raven and wants to respect it all even though she got hurt.

• Lane says:

Ugh, I agree. Clarke can be whiny and annoying with her moral compass and always being right. All the kids should have shades of grey and want to make us root for them at different times. In real life, there are few people who are all good or all bad.

4. Dr. L says:

I agree. Show got boring fast and some stuff is really dull. Plus, love triangle. Count me out!

5. Revenge says:

Love triangles ruin the momentum of the hit or not so hit show

6. T. says:

I think most viewers would prefer Clarke and Bellamy together so I hope Finn and Raven stay together. No more triangles. Bellamy and Clark would be so much more interesting.

• Elyse says:

Bellamy and Clarke? Interesting. I wouldn’t mind that!

• You should go back and look at their scenes together. They have really good chemistry and the potential to be great allies/friends. I really hope that this show doesn’t get cancelled so I can see their characters grow, even if it’s separately.

• Scene says:

me niether. that would be awesome. especially after the new episode last night.

• Ele says:

Well finn admits his love for clarke in episode 10 or 11 cant remember and she says that he broke her heart. raven brakes up with finn in the episode before that or earlier on that exact same episode. bellamy likes clarke but she doesnt love him in that way. she still likes finn.

• Lulia says:

I know right but in my oppinion Bellamy and Clarke would be a better couple. Also I think the ‘love’ between Finn and Clarke developed way to fast, especially since Finn had a girlfriend that he also supposedly ‘loved’. And how do you get over love so fast? Overall I’m not a fan of love triangles but I still love the show.

• Tanika says:

Bellamy and Clarke? A murder and a healer. No thank you. I’ll stop watching it. Bellamy and Raven would be okay. Clarke and Finn. Octavia and Lincoln. Those are the perfect relationships.

• Alice says:

I didn’t see it until last week because- Hello, he’s a sociopath. But if he stops killing people.. I could see it. Mostly I don’t want Clarke getting all moony over the Finn guy. If she’s going to act like a 60 year old trapped in a teenagers body, at least let her handle this disaapointment with dignity. She’s only known the guy for a week anyway. Just don’t make the girls fight over him- it too cliched.

• Vovo says:

Most viewers you say want Clarke with Bellamy? What is your analysis on this count based on?

• Lila says:

Where are you getting that? Its just your opinion. Most viewers actually do want Finn with Clarke. I personally think Raven and Bellamy would be the more interesting, edgier couple. Clarke couldn’t handle Bellamy.

• ES says:

Bellamy and Clarke are meant for each other I mean look at the way he looks at her ,you cant tell me there isn’t some serious chemistry going on there

• Zai says:

I totally agree with, Bellamy and Clarke have chemistry it’s so ovbious look at the way they act around each other, and in the latest episode when Clarke said she trusted Bellamy that was only the beginning

• Summer says:

• Hannah says:

I totally agree! Bellamy and Clarke would be so much better together.

• Chloeee says:

Bellamy and clarke all the way, there Chemistry is wild and Finn annoys me! He knew he had a girlfriend but still got tangled up with clarke what a douche. Clarke+Bellamy= love

• Chayer says:

I like Finn and Clarke. I’m seriously not trying to be rude but if Bellamy does get involved then if be a love triangle for sure because Finn isn’t just gonna give up just like that

7. Nan says:

Eh, I think Raven will bring balance to Bellamy’s world. Finn and Clarke seem to have developed this ‘need’ for each other since landing on Earth. Clarke and Bellamy could be a nice twist to throw at us tho :) Regardless I’m still invested in this show!

8. Tanya says:

I sincerely hope that they’re building up this triangle in order to deconstruct it… I couldn’t care less about this ‘love triangle’

Bellamy and Clarke have more interesting interactions…

9. A says:

I didn’t think I would like this show but I totally got sucked in. I actually really like Finn and Clarke and the whole show in general.

10. TL says:

I’m digging this show. I think that is exactly what would happen in those circumstances. It’s a great character study on humanity and compassion (or lack thereof).

11. Hannah says:

I love this show. But, I hate hate hate hate Raven and Finn together. This “love triangle” is ruining the show for me.

12. I don’t understand how people hate love triangles. Or is it just ClarkeXFinnXRaven as a triangle that people are upset about? Anyway, I don’t think Clarke and Finn have much chemistry. Their romance felt rushed and the actor that plays Finn was in Prom and his character on the 100 reminds of that character, so it just seems kind of overdone. That probably doesn’t make sense. Finn and Clarke should’ve started out as just allies/friends and go from there if need be. When TV shows lead two love interest down an obvious and inevitable path early on their romance seems forced and kind of petty. To give some examples, which a lot of people probably won’t agree with if their watching The 100 would be The Vampire Diaries (Stefan and Elena) and Teen Wolf (Scott and Allison). Yes, I adore both shows, but I really wished both romances had more build up and a solid friendship to go on before heading down romance lane. I never shipped Stelena or Scallison. What I did ship, and this should be obvious, was Delena and Allisaac because they had a foundation of friendship and went from there. I don’t care who agrees with me or not. I do ship Bellamy and Clarke, like most people seem to already. Clarke and Bellamy are both strong willed, but on opposite moral ends and it will definitely be interesting to see their characters develop a friendship because they do have chemistry and tension.

• Vovo says:

Again what most people? Was there a survey conducted?

• Drea says:

I ship Finn and Clarke. You’re making it up when you say “most people” ship Clarke and Bellamy. I don’t want Clarke with a socipathic monster. I also don’t want Raven with Bellamy as she’s pretty cool as well. So, I’d ship Raven with Finn. But none of the good girls should get Bellamy.

• Radha says:

I see what you’re saying, but to write off Bellamy as a “sociopathic monster” right away is ridiculous. Everyone knows on these shows that the seemingly disturbed “bad guy” is usually a front for deeper character development eventually. Veronica Mars did it with Logan. One Tree Hill did it with Nathan. Buffy did it with Spike.

I pretty much hated Logan and Nathan from the get go and they ended up being some of my favorite characters once they were fleshed out on those shows. Spike I actually liked, but he was a villain at first and I figured he’d end up dead, so I didn’t want to get attached.

Bellamy HAS to have more to him because he’s a main character and he can’t just be a one dimensional villain. So I’m surprised that a lot of you are just like: “No good girls can get with him!” and “He’s a monster.” Sure he’s a huge creep right now, but if there is nothing more to him, then they’re going to have to kill him off fast. And I’m pretty sure they are not doing that.

It always amazes me how fandoms just get so riled up over one character on a show and immediately hate the other. Just because you like Finn doesn’t mean you can’t like Bellamy. Just because you like Bellamy doesn’t mean you can’t like Finn.

Just because right now Finn is the “good guy” and Bellamy the “bad guy” doesn’t mean that those characters will always stay that way. Didn’t someone above mention that the characters have all these gray moral areas now in the lawless land? Didn’t someone say that this actually made people root for them and that Clarke needs to tone down the good girl self righteousness for us to root for her more? I guarantee you that Finn and Bellamy will go back and forth just like the others–and I can’t wait.

Clarke right now is with Finn–until Raven came back. They have clearly established that she and Finn have this awesome bond and this great romance–and it completely leaves me cold. I like the characters, but usually when the put two people together so fast, it either means they are meant to be the star crossed couple OR it means their relationship is doomed to fail.

And yet…she and Bellamy clearly have very different morals and ideals. They seemingly hate each other and yet Bellamy seems to only listen to what Clarke says. If Clarke says it, he will, 90% of the time, change his mind or go along with her plan. Clarke has already tearfully been yelling at Bellamy that he’s not a killer. If that doesn’t speak volumes then I don’t know what will. It’s like anvils hitting me upside my head that someone will happen between those two down the line. At the VERY least, they will become good friends.

I’m calling it now. The triangles will be Clarke/Finn/Raven and Bellamy/Clarke/Finn and for all we know there might even be a Raven/Bellamy/Clarke one as well. I hate triangles, but it seems to be a staple on shows nowadays, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they go there.

Stop just taking the characters at face value and I promise you’ll enjoy the show tons more. If you go into a show just going: “This one is the villain, this one the good girl, this one the bad girl, this one the comic relief etc. etc., then you’re setting yourself up for seeing the show through only one set pair of glasses.

If Finn stays 100% good, he will become boring. If Bellamy remains 100% bad, he becomes boring. Same with Clarke and the rest of the characters. Octavia, so far has surprised me. I was set to hate her, but she’s shown more development than the others.

Anyway, that’s my opinion. You don’t have to agree or like it.

• ES says:

Bellamy has changed a lot and he is not a socipathic monster (ANYMORE)

• bansheeg says:

tienes razon, bellamy se jacta de ser duro,pero solo a matado a dax, aunque es el responsable de 320 muertes. si dirias quien es socipata es clarke, la tipa no duda en matar. entiendo lo de atom, el tipo esta sufriendo, pero lo de el gronde, eso amigo si fue duro, lo vio directo a los ojos, espero hasta que el tipo se murio, eso mi amigo, es de sociopata.

• Erin says:

• Erin says:

I love this show! But why does everyone want Bellamy and Clarke together? I’m a fan of Finn and Clarke. On the vampire diaries I wanted stelena together and my mom wanted Selena together because Damon is bad but when I got the 100 book my mom pointed to Bellamy and said ” He’s a d**k head” and I agree with her. No offense to people who love Bellamy but I hate him! So I’m Finn and Clarke all the way I also think Bellamy and raven should be together so much potential there

• Summer says:

13. Browsing fanfiction and most of The 100 fics are Clarke and Bellamy pairings. I find it interesting that I’m not to only one who doesn’t want Clarke and Finn together, but wants her Bellamy. These fanfictions are probably terrible, but I hope someone knows how to write.

• Julia says:

Could you please send me a link to all those fanfics? I keep searching on fanfiction.net and other fanfiction sites (and googled it) but I can’t find any of them.. I’d be really awesome, I desperately want to read a clarke/finn (Clinn?) fanfic :)

14. Vovo says:

I like Clarke and Finn together. He brings balance to her life to none other I’ve seen so far could. As of last night’s episode, I’m shipping Bellamy and Raven.

15. Barrett Wallace says:

I stopped watching when they turned the only black guy on earth, who stood up to Bellamy and Murphy, into a red shirt.
    It was Wells who got the people starting to build a wall out of the downed trees. It was Wells who figured out how to save Jasper. It was Wells who figured out what kind of seaweed and where to find it. It was Wells who saved Bellamy from the big cat. How was Wells rewarded for all of this, by killing him off in a meaningless fashion. Wells died because a little girl was having nightmares and then the silly git throws herself off of a cliff in the next episode. His death is brushed aside as though nothing happened. What a waste of a strong character. This show needs to die, if for nothing else, for killing off Wells so freaking soon.

• Julie says:

I know what you mean. Just one black kid with a speaking part (and even an interesting back story to boot) and he’s toast in episode 3. I don’t think Raven, the Latina chic, will fare much better as she’s not even listed in the main cast.

• RyanG says:

I agree with what you said. Wells was my favorite character, the most sensible one and the one with a great back story from the get go, being the chancellors son, having all this hate thrust on him and having Clarke’s back.

They discarded him so quickly and easily like yesterday’s garbage. That knife in his neck sucked the enjoyment out of this show for me instantly. I’ve watched the 2 episodes since but on the periphery. And I find myself picking it apart a lot more just to give myself a solid reason to quit it for good.
      Like for instance, why suffocate 300 people. Send them to Earth. They have a better chance there than on the arc being executed.

16. Alison says:

I LOVE Raven and am so thankful a strong, interesting girl is joining the group. . Clarke is just annoying and all Octavia does is look pretty and flirt.

17. Scott says:

The sooner the show kills Bellamy the better. Things he did in this episode render the character irredeemable. He might not have killed the Chancellor but he is now directly responsible for the death of over 300 people. And I really couldn’t care less what his reasons were or that he didn’t know. Not a valid excuse.

• RyanG says:

Those 300 didn’t need to die in that way. They could’ve just sent them down to Earth to give them a slightly better chance despite what they think is going on with the 100.

18. Airliane says:

Yikes! I am also in favor of Clarke and Bellamy. I personally think they have pretty good chemistry.

19. ES says:

yes thank you they should be together

20. ES says:

I’m shipping Bellamy and Clarke i think she will make him a better person we all know it you cant deny it. someone please back me up on this look into Bellamy’s eyes next time he looks at Clarke. You can just see the love he has for her now.

• Summer says:

I think I found evidence of his budding romance for her…On episode 8, when Bellamy was trying to teach Clarke how to shoot…He looked at her funny when he touched her shoulder, as if he was nervous (like you become when around someone you are crushing on). I don’t necessarily think he’s a sociopath, but someone who has done wrong things for the right. I can understand his character…I’ve watched every episode & have always felt their chemistry & told my sister that their romance is going to happen….after this action of his during the gun scene & Clarke helping him with his predicament…I know it! They are also going through the same problem of trying to lead the others & will find common beliefs with each other. I also ship the grounder & octavia but after episode 8 I think its going way too fast.

21. BobMorleyftw says:

I think Y’all are just misunderstanding Bellamy yes he’s done some bad things but all he’s ever wanted to do was protect his little sister maybe he didn’t approach it in the right way but he’s not a psycho monster guy look how much he cared for that little girl Charlotte or how upset he was about his friend Atom, I agree to shipping Bellamy & Clarke why would you put Bellamy with Raven that’s silly since she’s been written to be totally in love with Finn who made a total dick move by getting with Clarke and I agree with Radha & Call me Naomi the relationship between Clarke & Finn was totally forced if your going to have an underlying love connection in a show like that you have to make it interesting by having a relationship like Bellamy & Clarke hello it’s obvious she can see redeeming qualities she did after all tell him he wasn’t a murderer so why can’t everyone else see he’s no worse than characters like Damon or Spike or even Klaus for that matter yeah they’ve done some bad stuff & been stupid but they are popular characters because everyone loves to hate the bad guy. I get that everyone likes the idea of Clarke & Finn because it’s no different than Stelana fans for example but come on Bellamy is totally red hot and he’s got my vote Bellamy Blake ftw.

22. ES says:

ok i have always been a fan of delana and klause so i totally agree with you I think they could make each other happy ( i mean bellamy and clarke of course) they are going to be the new power couple. why can people not see that they just forced finn and clarke this thing bellamy and clarke have is natural and finn really hurt clarke so he is a jerk so why would she ever fall for him again.

23. I for all time emailed this website post page to all my associates,
    for the reason that if like to read it after that my friends will
    too.

24. Erin says:

I think Finn and Clarke should end up together. I don’t hate Raven but I want her with bellamy. You can’t say that Finn and Clarke don’t love each other, because they do.When Raven pulled out the knife and threatened Bellamy it reminded me of something Bellamy would do. I vote FINN AND CLARKE SHOULD END UP TOGETHER. ALSO RAVEN AND BELLAMY SOULD END UP TOGETHER.

• Barrett Wallace says:

They love each other? They’ve been on the earth for a few days and now they love each other? really? Utter nonsense.
      Who cares anyway. They killed Wells for no good reason. He was the mose sensible person down there. He got them building the wall to protect themselves, He saved Jasper, he saved Bellamy, he put Murphy in his place, and they kill him because a little girl was having nightmares and then they kill her off the very next episode. What did killing Wells accomplish? How did it more the plot forward? This show deserves it low ratings for that act alone.

25. Fangirl18 says:

Clarke and finn should be together raven is a piece of crap

26. Fangirl18 says:

Not being a b**** just saying she is s***.

27. bw022 says:

I’ve seen lost hikers on TV. After 48 hours… no one is asking about love triangles. These kids grew up on a space station. None have run 50 ft., climbed a tree, swam, hunted, fished, learned how to purify water, have never been exposed to microbes, etc. After 48 hours, I’d expect them to be starving, heatstroke, vomiting from the water, getting infections from insect bites, etc., etc. Instead… they run off in the dark without any fear, somehow feed themselves, get clean water, and have nothing better to do but form love triangles.

Interesting premise, but they are straining all believability on this one.

28. BobMorleyftw says:

ok I didn’t say finn was a d**** I said he made a d**** move by getting with Clarke when he’s still with Raven & now Raven has come back he was all like I’m sorry Clarke I didn’t think I’d see her again blah blah blah so yeah total d**** move but I don’t hate Finn I think he’s actually pretty cool guy although I still like Bellamey better :D

29. Seri says:

I am a Claramy shipper. I like Finn, he’s awesome, but Clarke is good for Bellamy in ways that she can never be for Finn. Besides she’s seen the most of Bel’s softer side than anyone else except for Octavia.

30. karma jones says:

U r so funny and u tellin the truth

31. Erin says:

My mom pointed to a picture of Bellamy and said ” He’s a d**k head”

32. Lylyamz says:

I totally agree!!! And really at first I wanted Clarke and Finn together but then the chemistry with Bellamy became so much more interesting! Like Damon and Elena, it took time but it was worth it.
    If Finn and Clarke are together it’ll be boring (but still I think Finn is just awesome.. but less than Bellamy now). And Bellamy cried telling that he’s a monster, showing that he feel guilty and want redemption. It’s not like he was angry that the grounder run off, kind of nice on that one!
    And Octavia becomes really good now too! And with the grounder it can be interesting too. I’m happy to know that a 2nde season is coming :):)

33. Mikaela says:

A lot of you say you got bored at the show bc you expect different things. You sure got a lot to say about the show for not being that interested. If youre just coming here to criticize the show you can just leave nobody ask you to watch. I for once thinks this show has a possibility to become great so don’t make it all negative.

34. Lauren says:

I actually can’t stand Bellamy when it comes to Clarke and him being in a “relationship”. As far as relationships go, I totally think Finn and Clarke is the best match, they just click well in my opinion. No so much when it comes to Bellamy and Clarke. Also the fact that Bellamy is kind of a jerk.

35. niki says:

I am finn and clarke fan hope they dont put clarke with bellamy. She needs to be back with Finn as if Raven didn’t come down. Just think what would happen storyline wise if Raven hadn’t come down. Clarke and Finn would be together now. I’m a fan of Raven just not a fan of Raven and Finn.

36. BobMorleyftw says:

Am I the only one who thinks the grounder Lincoln was hot, I mean Damn.
    I’m totally thanking the casting people for this show.
    And also about the love triangle it doesn’t really matter after episode ten now does it, I also don’t think it would be a good idea to put Clarke & Finn together because too much has changed & happened she needs someone she can trust & I don’t know if Finn is that guy.
    On another note what the hell happened with the drop ship what the hell why why why I tell you ARGH.

37. Annie says:

Clarke and Bellamy all the way!!! If you look on just about every fan site, these two are shipped together. And it’s no wonder, they by far have the best chemistry on the show….not into Clarke and Finn, and do not like Raven at all…she’s just trouble. Hope they get rid of Raven and add another main girl character. I think Clarke and Bellamy will push each other to grow and bring out the best in each other as their intense chemistry and admiration for each other blooms into an epic love story. In my opinion, their chemistry and this romance has the potential to set this show apart from all the rest on the CW in a really good way…the depth that the writers could take with this omance has the potential to make this show super famous for the CW and extend in popularity and influence among a more mature audience as well as its younger viewers.

38. Biddy says:

Clarke + bellemy cool but not xo great bcos,d are both leaders,strong headed and and kinda annoying xo paring dem togeda z lyk suicide for d 100,i mean dey both need ppl who can set dem straight at a tym of flaws,xo clarke+finn awsome cos dey rlyy do need each oda trust me wen i say though their chemistry z a lil rusty at d moment,d belong togeda n bellemy+raven iz beta

39. Biddy says:

Though d pairing was a lil too early dan wat i hoped cos i tot deir chemistry will last longer before everyfin else buh d early z working kinda well dan i hoped

40. maz sees everything says:

Guys, It’s about time we start shipping Clabbie . Because let’s face it , without any incest, there wouldn’t had any Game Of Thrones

41. Chayer says:

Honestly I like Finn and Clarke a lot better than Bellamy and Clarke. It started out with Finn and her, they shouldn’t start making even more love triangles. And I think Bellamy Is a jackass ..

42. Chayer says:

Honestly I like Finn and Clarke together a lot more than Bellamy and Clarke. For me they shouldn’t even explore the option of having them hook up. I’ve liked Finn since the beginning and love triangles are just getting plain boring. Plus, in my opinion, Bellamy Is a jackass, other than the times were he’s caring for Octavia.

43. Chayer says:

Honestly, I like Finn and Clarke together a lot more than Bellamy and Clarke. I think that the directors shouldn’t even explore the option of having them date. Finn was there from the begging and I like him a lot more. Love triangles are just getting plain annoying. And in my option Bellamy is a douche

44. Chayer says:

Honestly, I like Finn and Clarke together a lot more than Bellamy and Clarke. I think that the directors shouldn’t even explore the option of having them date. Finn was there from the begging and I like him a lot more. Love triangles are just getting plain annoying. And in my option Bellamy doesn’t care about anyone other than Octavia , and in the future he might develop feelings for Clarke (I hope not) , I just really don’t like his character and how in control he thinks he is all the time

45. Rebecca says:

Everybody hates Finn for cheating but forgives Bellamy for wanting to kill jasper, being a power hungry and forcing people to do things they didn’t want to do. Really??? I’m not saying Bellamy didn’t change cause he did but so did Finn. In the finale of season 1, Finn kicked ass and helped Bellamy so you can’t say he’s boring and a total goody two shoes. I understand the Bellarke shippers though because there is a little chemistry but they’re both strong willed leaders and find that violence is the only choice. Romance between leaders will only make things complicated especially with their characters. Finn however brings balance to Clarke. He’s like Clarke’s moral compass and saying that they don’t have chemistry is just false.
    So yeah. I don’t hate Bellarke but I’m all the way for Flarke.

46. Tanika says:

I just want them to get together. That like, makes everything better. The passion and love. The drive to save their companion.