The Voice Recap: Their Purple Prose Just Gives Them Away [Updated]

The Voice - Season 6The Voice may be the reigning Emmy champ for Outstanding Reality-Competition Series, but if you pay close attention, sometimes it doubles as a brain-twisting mystery.

RELATED | May Sweeps Scorecard 2014: Deaths, Weddings, Births, Sex, Resurrections, Firings and More!

Take Adam Levine’s critique tonight of Team Shakira’s dreariest member Deja Hall: “The place that you are at now is better than any place you’ve been so far. That just means the sky’s the limit.” On its surface, you could almost mistake Adam’s words as praise. But put them beneath the blue light of a crime-scene investigator, and the blood splatter shows up clear as day.

Translation? “You were somewhat less disappointing tonight than you were in your previous three performances, so there’s that?”

Similarly, Blake Shelton has mastered the art of not-so-subtly implying which singers make him happier than a Starbuck’s cup full of moonshine, and which ones he’ll forget by the time he’s finished chugging said container. “I thought it was good, dude,” he drawled to Team Adam’s struggling Jake Barker, a critique that only stung in comparison to Blake’s standard operating hyperbole.

Speaking of which, if I was going to place myself in one of NBC’s red roating chairs right now, here’s what I’d say to Shakira and Adam, both of whom narrowed down their five-artist teams to three apiece in the no-longer-live, no-longer-voted-on-by-viewers Playoffs:

“Shakira, for once in your life, you made all the right choices with regard to your team — even though exec producer Mark Burnett undercut your authority by repeatedly showing your three male colleagues imploring you not to cut your strongest players.” (To my good pal Feminism, I’ll come get you out from underneath the couch and help you wipe away the dust bunnies in the morning.)

“Adam, not every member of your team sounded like a New York City subway car with worn-out break pads speeding around a hairpin turn over a rusty track. At least not all of the time.”

OK, OK, so I haven’t mastered Blake’s art of breaking it to ‘em gently…

Without further ado, though, let’s get to letter grades and reviews for tonight’s performances:

TEAM SHAKIRA
Kristen Merlin: Carrie Underwood’s “Two Black Cadillacs” — Grade: B | I wondered if Kristen was being positioned as Ultimate Cannon Fodder (™ pending), seeing how not one but both of her Battles got the dreaded montage treatment. But Shakira’s country candidate was absolutely solid (if not particularly original), with a glory note on the final “walked away” that was as long and forceful as anything we’ve heard in Season 6. Better still, her steadfastness in the face of arhythmic SwayBots — “Don’t cheer! I’m makin’ fun of y’all!” groused Blake, after calling ‘em out — proves she’s on the side of good, not evil.

Deja Hall: Jordin Sparks’ “Battlefield” — Grade: C- | The best part of Deja’s anemic effort tonight was that brief bit of Shakira singing “Battlefield” during rehearsals. Otherwise, Deja’s pretty but unformed voice packed about as much punch and ferocity as a miniature Pomeranian growling in the front yard. “I never meant to start a war”? Oh, Deja, you’ll need at least five years of life experience before that’s any kind of possibility.

Tess Boyer: Christina Perri’s “Human” — Grade: A- | Oooohweee*! (*not a real word) Tess’ lower register on the opening verse of “Human” was as thick and rich as homemade caramel on your kitchen stove. The former Team Usher and Team Blake castaway proved that perhaps third time will be the charm with a performance marked by flawless phrasing and the kind of quiet control that sometimes eludes big, belty singers. Shakira’s description of Tess as a “little miracle” was apt: I mean, girlfriend might get her sometimes hapless coach to the Season 6 finals! #DontKillHerWithSongChoiceShaki

Patrick Thomson: Ray LaMontagne’s “Trouble” — Grade: B- | The coaches praised Patrick for finally showing the kind of artist he could be in the real world, but I wasn’t aware there was a big market for Ray LaMontagne cover bands. Ouch. That was harsh, even by my standards, but despite being mostly in tune and reasonably passionate, there was not a single second of Patrick’s performance that caused me to believe it deserved to exist outside a reality singing competition…

Dani Moz: Lady Gaga’s “The Edge of Glory” — Grade: A- …Dani’s sparse piano arrangement of a sweeping Gaga tune, however, possessed the kind of originality and purposefulness that moved it out of the slums of Karaokeville and into the cozy hamlet of Relevancy. Usher was right that Dani wasn’t entirely flawless — I heard a couple crumbly notes and timining issues in the middle — but her fearlessness in playing with the melody and her explosive final glory note made this a breakout moment I won’t soon forget. Wait, does Shakira have two legit shots at stealing Tessanne Chin’s crown from Adam’s mantle?

VOTED THROUGH BY SHAKIRA
Tess
Kristen
Dani
(well done, Shaki!)

TEAM ADAM
Delvin Choice: “Let’s Stay Together” — Grade: B | Delvin’s got a gorgeous tone — especially when he digs into his lower register — and a lot of technical skill, but careful coaching is going to be the difference between an early ouster and a serious Season 6 run. In this instance, the acoustic-and-bongos arrangement of Al Green’s soul classic proved to be a little too “lido deck on the Norwegian Pearl (pre-happy hour)” and some of those runs toward the end felt a little overbaked. (Should one word require seven or eight notes? In most instances, the answer is “he-el-ll-ll no-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oh!”

Jake Barker: Maroon 5′s “She Will Be Loved” — Grade: C+ | If Jake was hoping to flatter Adam with his song choice, he succeeded — insomuch that he proved his coach to be a vastly superior vocalist. This particular track, unfortunately, seemed to bring out the most nasal, tight qualities of Jake’s tone, and even his trademark falsetto seemed to lose steam about midway through the number. Of course, this being The (Always Predictable) Voice, maybe Jake knew deep down that only Contestants 1, 3 and 5 would advance — with Contestants 2 and 4 doomed to plank-walk. Nevertheless, his performance was more “out for a Saturday stroll” than a full-fledged fight for his competitive life, no?

Kat Perkins: Journey’s “Open Arms” — Grade: B | Adam said there was nothing to criticize in Kat’s performance, and while I might argue that was a slight exaggeration, I don’t feel a burning passion to quibble with People’s Sexiest Man Alive, either. And yet while the Season 6 rock chick delivered her vocal with a muscularity and verve that pegs her as a genuine contender, I couldn’t shake the desire for her to color a little outside the lines of Steve Perry’s template — or, perhaps more accurately, choose a song that gave her more room to color outside the lines of the original tune.

Morgan Wallen: Florida Georgia Line’s “Stay” — Grade: C+ | I kinda forgot this happened already — except for the eagerness and borderline “wait! is this happening?” disbelief in Morgan’s eyes. Poor kid didn’t even realize Blake’s “you’ve improved substantially” was one of the night’s coldest critiques.

Christina Grimmie: Jason Mraz’s “I Won’t Give Up” — Grade: B- | First things first: I really enjoyed the fragile clarity of Christina’s voice in the opening verse tonight, the way she was able to cut through the room with seemingly little to no effort. But as she pushed harder and louder and more aggressively through Jason Mraz’s plaintive ballad, her instrument took on an occasionally grating quality that I figured/hoped somebody on the panel would point out. (Plus, I’m not quite sure she nailed the fast-paced wordplay at which Mraz excels so deftly in the midsection of the song.) Which isn’t to say Christina didn’t earn the third berth on Team Adam… I’m just nowhere near ready to put a crown on girlfriend’s head.

VOTED THROUGH BY ADAM
Christina
Delvin
Kat
(Yes! Adam took RuPaul’s advice!)

What did you think of Night 2 of the Season 6 Playoffs? Did Shakira and Adam make the right choices? Who gave the best overall vocal of the night? Who got robbed? Take our poll, then sound off in the comments!

1. Kaba says:

Never thought I’d be saying this ever this season….
    I enjoyed the 3 from team Shakira much, much more than the three chosen from team Adam…
    Overall I enjoyed Team Adam more minus Morgan.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Wow, really? I was shocked when I liked the lesbian chick the most. I’d forgotten she was still in the show and had to look her up to remember who she was.
      Kat and Delvin are so my taste. I cannot get enough of those 2, so I have to politely disagree.

• Kaba says:

I loved Kat, wanted to like Delvin tonight…that song choice killed it for me, but I just enjoyed Dani and Tess a bit more. Oh and Kristen was much better than I was expecting.
        I just really need Delvin get better songs then I’ll be all for him like I was initially.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Delvin was technical perfection tonight, and that run that got the judges excited got me very excited too. But i can’t disagree that the song choice was bordering on extremely lame. And I’m not pooping on Shak’s girls because I thought they all did well, but Kat blew me away. The way she kept her energy level at 11 throughout the song… just wow.

• Kaba says:

Ugh I miss the day when amazing runs would just stir my soul beyond repair. Dunno what’s left me but I rarely get moved by runs like I used to.
            I’ve become really into how defined the emotion in the song. I loved Kat, Tess, and Dani tonight save the things that I noticed weren’t technically all there with Tess and Dani.
            Re-listening to Kat, it’s growing on me a LOT.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I’m trying to download Kat’s Journey cover now, but alas, I’ve changed my iTunes password because of the Heartbleed virus. And yeah, I can’t remember my new password. Please shoot me. But back to Kat, that was so, so, SOOOOO good. My expectations of her are high, and she exceeded them. I’d say Kat and Sisaundra are tied for my #1 spot with a whole bunch of folks nipping right on their heels. This The Voice season is the anti-Idol-season-13.

• Kaba says:

I don’t have any defined favorite just yet, waiting for something to just…I honestly don’t know.
            I’m just enjoying the evenness of the season so far. I have high expectations of Team Usher tomorrow, from the previews he might just solidify that he [arguably] has the strongest team this season.
            Oh my goodness this is so anti-idol for once. The two weakest from the 9 have given better performances than all the contestants on season 13 all together. It’s embarrassing.
            Imagine if they were against Sisaundra or something (AI contestants)?

• Angie_Overrated says:

Sisaundra would eat them. Like I wouldn’t be surprised if she literally ate them Hannibal style. It would be pretty funny pitting any of the good ones from this season against Idol’s finalists. Kat against any of them would be funny. I have to give credit where credit is due that Caleb and Jena are awesome singers, but The Voice wins hands down this year.

• Kaba says:

She could fry their brains with her head voice
            Filet them with her runs
            And cook them with her tone
            The Voice is out for blood this season. On their end they’ve got the mighty 10 headed vocal dragon Sisaundra whereas AI has…Caleb and Jena?
            Cute.

• HTGR says:

I actually think I’m liking Tess and Kat over Sisaundra. Sisaundra does have a mad voice though. But Sisaundra is a bit calculated seeming at times and the runs all over are not my favorite style, but damn she certainly has a voice.
            Tess has just really caught fire the last couple weeks man oh man. Blew me away tonight. And that might;ve been it, but Kat, whoa, that may have been the single best performance of the entire season. I can’t believe Adam gave the performance of his team and night to Christina over Kat (I almost feel like some producer thing??). Christina was finally really good again tonight though. But man Kat was just one of those moments of the entire season and Tess was was spectacular, I just can’t put Christina quite up there with either.

• HTGR says:

Yeah, from what little I’ve seen of Idol this season, yeah the weakest of these nine would be way up there on Idol, close to dominating and the top six of the 9 so far, my they’d just be running away by miles upon miles wow. Even some of this set of 15 so far who’ve been sent home would be solidly in the Idol running I bet.

• Kaba says:

Allegedly scientists are still hard at work trying to figure out exactly what the hell happened to idol this season…
            I’m beginning to believe Harry Connick Jr. must be the reason. When Keith started someone was a breakout star. JLo had breakout stars too…HCJ…nope.

• claudia says:

You thought Delvin’s choice was lame but not Kat’s? If I never hear Open Arms again I will be very happy – and she did nothing new with it. I don’t think she’s the kind of singer who will appeal to voters, at least all those piercings don’t appeal to me, besides the fact that she doesn’t seem very current.

Delvin’s voice has a Lionel Richie quality to it that IMO never goes out of style. Adam needs to tone down the unnecessary runs & he will be ready to record.

• HTGR says:

That doesn’t even make sense. Lionel Ritchie never goes out of style and that was 100% current but Journey does and wasn’t at all in style?
            Plus what even is in style today. It’s all mixed. I don’t think 2000s even have a style (other than perhaps auto-tune style).

• HTGR says:

LOVED Kat tonight. But also Tess too, damn, she seemed like she had it locked but then Kat was so awesome. Those two are on fire! Delvin was really good too. Then I’d have Dani and Christina.

• danin says:

Angie…I couldn’t agree w/you more.Kristin, lesbian chick was my fave. She gave a whole,flawless performance.She gets an A from me. I am not sold on Tess.Sounded to chopped up to me. I also enjoyed the little dynamo Christine.Lots of different colors in her voice.Would like to hear her do Bonnie Raitt, Patty Griffin, or Susan Tedeschi…I heard an under utilized rasp in her voice and wouldn’t mind to hear her reign it in and stay in this lane a bit.

• Sharon says:

If you had to look her up, how did you miss noting her name – Kristen?

• Linda (westcoast prof) says:

why do you have to refer to her as the lesbian chick..jesus only in America..just use her name for gods sake

• Angie_Overrated says:

Because she’s been so absent from the show, I didn’t know her name. There was no malicious intent whatsoever in my post. And I’ve lived in several countries in Europe. If you think what I just said is wildly offensive because I’m American, you’re wrong, sweetie. At least on a comparative basis with some of the things I’ve heard, particularly in Italy.

• will says:

Delvin was my favorite of the night, and I never thought I’d say that about a performance of Let’s Stay Together, but he was just so good in every way I couldn’t help but love it. Normally I hate excessive runs but he hit all of them spot-on and completely sold me. There wasn’t a single thing I could say was wrong with it.

• Adake says:

Respect your opinion Kaba but couldn’t disagree more. Delvin and Christina were tonight’s best performances and I like Kat, though this wasn’t my favorite performance of hers. Kristen and Tess were very good but didn’t like Dani’s over the top screaming and fake tears at the end. They even said she was nervous and pitchy. Probably would have picked Deja based on potential moving forward. No surprises though. Look forward to Team Usher tomorrow.

• Kaba says:

To each their own, nobody that made it through I felt was just so exceedingly bad that I can’t bring myself to find anything good about their performances.
        Tonight was very, very even if you asked me so I’m not really finding an urgency to argue against someone.
        I’d say we have 9 great acts so far and that’s a first for me to be able to say since the series started.

• HTGR says:

Hmm you’d really put Jake over Morgan?

• greysfan says:

I must say coming into this stage i thought Shakira’s finalists were pretty weak but the 3 tonight really raised the bar and was very happy with the results on who she chose. Adam’s team i found boring tonight in comparison.

2. Quinn Carson says:

Christina was amazing!! B-? Michael, that is complete nonsense!

3. OhMy says:

Some good, some not so good.

4. Vincent says:

Christina deserved an A- not a B-.

5. Name This Tune says:

It’s hard to criticize the show. Many of the people who were cut could be leading contenders on American Idol.

• Sierra1707 says:

Well, except for album sales.

The Voice, reported album sales through April 1, 2014:

Javier Colon: 9,968
      Jermaine Paul: No report
      Cassadee Pope: 167,000
      Danielle Bradbery: 129,000

TOTAL: 305,968

• Angie_Overrated says:

NBC cares about ratings, not album sales. I won’t bother looking up the ratings, but I’ll give you a hint: they’re kind of awesome.

• Sierra1707 says:

The ratings aren’t all that “awesome,” actually…The Voice has been losing viewers every single week since its premiere on February 24th. The show started with 15.858 million viewers, and by last Monday, was down to 11.996 million. And if the show can’t find a winner who sells albums and (eventually) concert tickets, it’s little more than a glorified game show.

• Angie_Overrated says:

You’re missing the point again. The point of the any show on tv is ratings. Anything else is gravy on top, but first and foremost what matters is ratings. And The Voice is murdering Idol on that front, regardless what your album sales data says. The networks make their money from advertising sales which are derivative of ratings. You do the math.

• ETG says:

I agree totally with Angie. Any profits TPTB would make from album sales PALES to the profits from advertising during the show. This show is about LIVE entertainment, not recorded media.

• tealeaves says:

The Voice’s ratings are about what Idol’s were a couple years ago. At the time, Idol was regularly criticized for their falling ratings.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Ok. But that’s because Idol was previously an untouchable behemoth with something stupid like 20 million + viewers. Right now The Voice is the #1 show on Mondays. I’d say the NBC execs are high five-ing each other a whole lot over what’s happening rather than lamenting over the music sales figures. This show has succeeded and then some from their perspective. And I’d argue from a viewer’s perspective as well. This season is amazing!

• MamaLis says:

Wow! Ya, I’m just surprised more people aren’t bothered by the HUGE disconnect that occurs between The Voice Coaches/Production and then the The Voice – post-show. Even Scotty McCreery from Idol had done better than anyone from this list – which means anyone.

And if you ever search “Top Millionaires from Idol” – the list is actually surprising long in length.

How can there be all this talent on the show combined with these Mega-Watt Coaches – and yet everyone is falling flat, post-Voice? As great as their “formula” is – they certainly don’t have the post-show formula down, that’s for sure.

• Sierra1707 says:

In the interests of being thorough…here are the reported album sales for American Idol winners, through April 1, 2014:

Kelly Clarkson: 13,272,000 (7 albums)
          Ruben Studdard: 2,582,358 (6 albums)
          Fantasia Barrino: 3,057,098 (4 albums)
          Carrie Underwood: 14,572,699 (4 albums)
          Taylor Hicks: 757,000 (2 albums)
          Jordin Sparks: 1,233,000 (2 albums)
          David Cook: 1,510,000 (2 albums)
          Kris Allen: 369,000 (2 albums)
          Lee DeWyze: 153,000 (1 album)
          Scotty McCreery: 1,793,662 (3 albums)
          Phillip Phillips: 1,084,000 (1 album)
          Candice Glover: 38,018 (1 album)
          TOTAL: 40,421,835

• Angie_Overrated says:

Now in the interests of being thorough, please post the ratings numbers for the last few years of Idol since The Voice came to be. And let’s compare the ratings trajectories of the two shows.

NBC would love to have better selling contestants from the show, but first and foremost what they care about are ratings, and they’re murdering Idol on that front.

• MamaLis says:

Uh, wrong discussion, Angie.

This particular “debate” or comparison pertains to album sales. Ratings is an entirely different topic. Metaphorically that would indeed be “apples to oranges.”

Additionally, since you brought up the term “trajectory” and the phrase “since The Voice came to be,” I’m going to use it to further my original debate.

The Voice IS the newer show and from what I hear, killin’ it in terms of ratings. So why the record flatlines/flops and minimalistic support of their artists? The first SEVERAL years of Idols inception their artists experienced career “trajectories” that equaled that of the ratings, i.e. fast & upwards. In fact over the course of 12 seasons, Idol has kindly created more than that number of millionaires. Not bad…. not bad at all.

Adam Levine.
            Shakira.
            Christina.
            Blake.
            Usher.
            Ceelo.___________________?

THREE hundred thousand records between them from the artists they mentored?
            I don’t care how big the ratings are. They’re either picking poor winners or they’re letting ‘em drop, post-show.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Uh, wrong discussion, MamaLis. Maybe the discussion you’re having is about record sales, but please reread the original post:
            “It’s hard to criticize the show.”
            Nowhere in the sentence is there any mention whatsoever of album sales.

• Sierra1707 says:

I had to look the ratings for American Idol Seasons 10-13 individually, and once again, the first number refers to the millions of viewers for the season premiere, and the second number is for that season’s finale…from Nielsen:

Season 10: 26.2 , 29.29
            Season 11: 21.93 , 21.45
            Season 12: 17.93 , 14.31
            Season 13: 15.19 , to be determined

• HTGR says:

The down trend started with S10 finale. It looks good in that table you listed, but in past seasons the finale had a huge boost compared to top three, huge, while in S10, for perhaps the first time, the boost was much smaller than normal by like 25%+, which interestingly matched the difference between S10 and S11 premieres.

• HTGR says:

A lot of it is push and marketing and luck too. Plus even Idol hasn’t had so many sales lately. It’s hard for any of the shows. People put down Haley’s sales and she sold better, with just the timid support of a third placer, than the most recent Idol winner, I’m pretty sure. They need to really believe and do major buys and pushes if they want big sales off of the shows these days. Maybe male, country or countryish and young can still sort of sell themselves off the shows, otherwise I think it’s tricky without a mega-push.
          Another tricky thing is sooo many shows recently, they all kinda cancel each other out a bit.

• tealeaves says:

Phil Phillips has a platinum album an a 4x Platinum single plus another platinum single.

• HTGR says:

Yes, he does, but he is not last season’s winner and he is a male, is pseudo country-ish in that he at least has that down home folksy sorta southern thing going and he is young.
            Look at the early seasons and up and down the top 5 and even 10 they’d get all sorts of sales. A #7 back then often outsells a #2 now. There is no way the numbers from the last few seasons of sales compare to the first few seasons.
            In the first few seasons the shows just launched people up and down the line.

6. Evan says:

Shakira might actually be in this thing if she doesn’t mess up coaching Tess and Dani. Overall, the right people made it in tonight. Dani absolutely killed it tonight. Probably my favorite performance. She’s been good, but tonight, she showed she’s a contender. Tess was also pretty good, but I didn’t think she did a lot with the song. I think we’ll see her grow next week. Adam’s three were good as well. I was less impressed with Delvin than in previous rounds, I thought Kat was good but I don’t see her breaking out of the pack, and Christina is great. I’ve loved her performances thus far (knowing her mother, I am a little biased, but hush!) and we saw some new shades in there tonight. The right three from each team has made it through thus far…here’s hoping Usher doesn’t make a catastrophic mistake tomorrow (or maybe I do hope so because I don’t like Usher meh oh well).

7. Angie_Overrated says:

I don’t think I’ve ever been more happy with the finalists. We’re 9 for 9! I’m well aware that this debatable, but I’d say the worst 2 who made it tonight were Tess and Dani (again, I recognize it’s debatable), and they were both really really good too.
    I am infinitely impressed with this season.

• HTGR says:

What?!!!!!?????? Tess the worst of the 6 tonight??? She was an EASY second. Only Kat managed to.
      Tess is just coming on super amazingly well!! Man her and Kat were it.
      And then the rest (who were really, really good in many cases too). Delvin was really good. Christina was really good again. Dani was pretty good. Kristin wasn’t bad. I liked Patrick and Morgan too. Even the rest were mostly nicely solid.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Here was my problem with Tess. The song was too low for her, so she sounded grumbly and was going sharp and was almost inaudible on the lowest notes. Then when the song was building, the rest of her voice sounded so different from the intro that it sounded like two different singers. I liked second-half-of-the-song Tess better.
        Even though I’d put Tess at #6 tonight, I really like her. I thought she easily beat Jake Worthington and Bria Kelly despite having technically lost both battles.

• HTGR says:

Nothing wrong with tone and total voice type changes. Christina had them to an even larger degree tonight. Jacquie had them. etc. Sometimes it keeps it interesting. Plus Tess didn’t get thin at all when she went up high as Christina did a bit. Yeah, Tess got just a trace soft on the low notes (that said, most females who do songs with that range end up going even softer and totally swallowing those low notes, she actually put them out stronger than almost all of them do, even if it was just a trace weak, they even praised her for not totally fading away and swallowing them, a trace weaker but still basically fully delivered).
          Anyway at least is all is right, we viciously disagree about at least one thing hah (also disturbingly even in this case it’s probably more of a rather tepid vicious since we all like all of the top six).

• Angie_Overrated says:

Hmmm… dunno about that. The best singers like Mariah or Michael Jackson or Beyonce or Christina Aguilera sound the same in their lower registers as they do on the top. You can very clearly hear “them” in all their registers (the one exception being Mariah’s highest notes).

Tess is adorable. I love her, but I wouldn’t say she’s the best singer this season. She has very stiff competition. I honestly have no idea how who will win.

8. Kaba says:

Oh and if Delvin sings a song as sleepy or sleepier than “Let’s Stay Together” I’ll need him removed from the building.

• Adake says:

Kaba I don’t know how old you are but Delvin’s song choice was excellent. Apparently you don’t like Al Green music. For me, I could listen to R&B all day.

• Kaba says:

I looove R&B, I’ve just grown very, very, very, very, tired of that song more than most.
        The song was played to oblivion with my family since my birth o.o

• JM says:

Sorry, but I have to disagree. I love that song, and Delvin killed it.

• will says:

If he sings it as well as he sang Let’s Stay Together (best of the night for me), he can sing whatever he wants.

9. Mafs95 says:

Michael, I think you have a typo… Christina is an A -, not a B -. Everyone makes mistakes, I know :)

10. Peaches Jackson says:

The Voice had me like YASSSSSSS tonight! Bout time Jake took his foolish falsetto out the competition. Stars= Delvin, Tess, and Miss Dani Moz. She SLAYED tonight. Miss Kristen shocked me back to 1986, great job missy. Deja put me to sleep faster than Nyquil and Morgan struggled through that country song. He needed some SOUL (or life) in his performance. I’m Peaches Jackson y’all, have a good evening!

11. Angie_Overrated says:

I’m actually gonna back up Slezak’s contrarian grade on Grimmie. I wasn’t as blown away as the judges myself. They kept talking about how big her voice was, which was weird because my rolling commentary during her performance was how thin her voice was. She’s clearly a very talented woman, but I didn’t love her performance tonight. Maybe she sounds very different live? That does happen from time to time where a live voice sounds bizarrely different than one that is recorded.

• Adake says:

Angie, we must have been listening to different singers. Christina was the best singer tonight, hands down with Delvin a close second. They will go far in this competition but hope Kat does too.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Oh, don’t get me wrong. I like Christina and I agree with you that she’s a very talented woman. I just thought there were a few who were better. There’s something about her high notes that doesn’t sit well with me, but I’m not trying to argue that she sucks. Subjective of course, but that’s my $0.02.

• Anne says:

I’m agreeing with Angie here. The high notes are a little too forward for my taste, without the fullness that Dani brings. No question she’s a great performer, but Dani surprised me tonight.

• Christopher says:

I 100% agree with you Angie. Her voice is extremely thin and sounds shrill, nasaly and unpleasant when she belts. My favorite parts of her performance were the softer moments.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Wouldn’t call it nasal. Audra and Jake (and most any country singers) have the nasal tones.

• MamaLis says:

Actually, I hear a distinct “nasal” tone, too. I’ve heard it each time she’s sung and I’ve said to myself, “Wow, that was really nasally. Did anyone else just hear that??”

Last night it came very close to the beginning of the song.

• HTGR says:

Her high notes are a bit thin. It didn’t really bother me tonight at all though. The two prior weeks she seemed thin and a bit all over. I thought she got it together tonight and the little thinness there was didn’t bother me. But that said, yeah I wasn’t at all giving the night to her the way a couple of the coaches were. I didn’t get putting her above Tess or Kat, for one. Even just on his own team I mean Kat had the truly transcendent moment so how he picks Chistine because she had the transcendent performance of his team…. was he thinking of the transcendent voting of her fanbase perhaps? I mean she did do really well tonight, but….

• Chris says:

She sounds the same live. I saw her when she opened for Selena Gomez, and her voice lacked any real dynamics when she hit those power notes. Then again, I may be biased because I didn’t want to be there and was doing a favor for my seven year old niece who cried through most of Grimmie’s set.

12. Kaba says:

I must say, this is a veeerrrry even season so far.
    I’d say each team so far has 2 well defined contenders minimum.

13. Castro says:

Christina Grimmie B- ? Why oh why?

14. Kaba says:

Deja thoroughly solidified that Ddendyl was just robbed.

15. LizzieB says:

Tess Boyer. Love her. I know they have to get all glammed up for the performance but I thought because she was singing Human I wanted her to not look so perfect for once, maybe a simpler look and I would have absolutely adored that performance even more. That’s just me of course. But she is such a revelation. Dani was awesome as well. She kinda looked like Anna Gunn tonight with her hair like that. I was pleasantly surprised with Team Shaki tonight. Team Adam on the other hand was meh. I liked Kat better than Christina tonight. I’m excited about Josh tomorrow though :D

• Mafs95 says:

That girl [Tess] is drop gorgeous, it’s quite difficult for her “to not look so perfect”. But I know what you mean, it would be great if she had a more simple look.

16. analythinker says:

I loved Dani’s performance. Her emotion, connection, feelings… are what Idol is lacking right now.

• Terry says:

Me too! I was worried for a second that Shakira wasn’t going to pick her because I didn’t think she would select an all girl team, but thank goodness I was wrong.

17. Michael says:

Shakira has a strong and eclectic female team! With the right coaching, so far, Shakira has been very precise, critical and has given constructive criticism behind-the-scenes during rehearsals (IMO). My concern is song choices, which is a weak element Shakira hasn’t mastered yet on the show.

• JM says:

You’re absolutely right about Shakira’s song choices in the past. Hopefully, she doesn’t make the same mistakes, because these women can sing!

• analythinker says:

I hope, even if she ends up picking questionable song choices, these women can prove that they’re able to handle them in the live shows :)

18. Lena says:

I guess I am wasting my time watching the rest of the season since Grimmie will win. I don’t think this because she is better than EVERYONE in the competition. I think she will win because she has a ridiculous amount of followers. Her fanbase will give her the win and that is unfortunate since this will no longer be a singing competition but a popularity contest.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Grimmie has two million followers. We also don’t know how many of those 2 million are Americans. The Voice averages 15 million viewers, so we don’t know that she will win. There’s so much talent this year that we really don’t know how this is going to shape up. But to your point, she does have a bit of an advantage.

• Kimbo says:

It’s going to be one hell of an advantage from the looks of it.
        I’d like to think that majority of her fanbase is outside of the country in the first place, but from what I recall a lot of countries cannot see many (if any) of the voice videos on youtube and well…this girl is a gold mine for views so far.
        I just need people to outperform her so hard it hurts if her fanbase becomes an issue.

• Adake says:

My problem with your comments are that you just don’t like Christina so now you are looking for conspiracies. Christina has one of the top voices in this competition, period. I’ll bet the three other coaches would love to have her on their team. So I suggest people should just relax and enjoy the show going forward. This might be the best Voice season yet – excellent talent!

• Kimbo says:

My problem with your comment is that you’ve just blatantly assumed I dislike the girl. How I talk about her fanbase and how I talk about her as a singer and performer are two very different and distinct things.
            Tonights performance? I liked, wasn’t going nuts so I don’t care if she has one of the top voices at all.
            I’m not looking for conspiracies I’m looking at everything for the way it is. She’s got a big pre-existing fanbase, people are worried about it. The end.

• Adake says:

Read your own comments: I just need people to outperform her so hard it hurts… You don’t sound like a fan to me. Her fan base is going to do what it does, just like the country fans will vote for Jake, Audra, and Tess, etc, Relax and enjoy the performances. That is the best part of this show, not the inevitable popularity contest.

• Kimbo says:

Read the rest of my sentence
            “I just need people to outperform her so hard it hurts if her fanbase becomes an issue”
            If her fanbase is going to hand her a win that I can’t say she earned it’ll sap the fun right out of the show. One of the best parts of the show is feeling like the winner gave it their all and proved it to be their all every step of the way.
            If she gets lazy/sloppy/boring/etc. and she wins that’s not fun.
            You continue to tell people to relax and enjoy the performances…I absolutely am enjoying these performances. The topic of discussion was her fanbase handing her a win…so I addressed it lol.

• HTGR says:

The mere fact that Adam singled her out as the best on his team when Kat has done so well every week and totally brought it tonight and he still singled out Christina who had two rather average weeks before a very good one tonight does make you think it’s a huge Christina push and maybe they think with her fanbase she can give them their first pop artist to truly dominate.
      I thought she did really well tonight, but yeah the over the topness of it all makes me wonder if they are not looking at youtube voters. They need to make sure to not push a story though way over the top. That is what eventually got AI going slowly down. (but don’t get me wrong she was good tonight and the B- from Slezak seems very questionable to me, but again, I thought at least two others tonight were better)

19. polarvortex says:

Thank goodness I won’t have to look at Jake’s smarmy mug anymore!
    And although I haven’t been much of a Christina fan she actually blew me away tonight!
    So happy Dani made it through, I don’t know why but I’m always nervous when she sings,but she hit one out of the park tonight!

20. Francine says:

You keep forgetting to put which contestants actually made it in your recap! I come here first when I miss a show but I noticed you did the same thing last week. I can figure it out by everyone’s comments, but just a friendly tip :)

21. Melanie says:

Oof, Michael, Grimmie fans are going to come after you with blood and fire.
    Shakira’s team is killer this season. I didn’t think it would be this good considering last season, but she has potential winners. Tess is a bomb. She’s my favorite in the competition.

• Adake says:

To each their own. I would rank tonight’s performances: Christina, Delvin, Kat, Kristen, Tess and finally Dani. Hoping T.J., Josh, and Bria make it from Team Usher. Look forward to tomorrows performances.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I would switch Kat with Christina, but yeah, your ranking looks pretty good. Even Tess and Dani were good. And where did Kristen come from?! That was awesome! A sapphic spitfire of a country singing lady from Massachusetts is just what the doctor ordered.

• JM says:

Yes, Kristen was awesome! I don’t understand why they haven’t shown much of her until now. I hope that doesn’t hurt her chances, because she is really good.

• Adake says:

Angie, I’m glad Kristen finally got her day to be heard (too many montages). She did a great job!

• Mori_Samuel says:

I disagree! Christina and Delvin weren’t better than Tess , Dani and Kat. Delvin may be better but out of the whole lot. I prefer Tess or Kat. I seem to notice that you have been commenting on every comment which included the word Christina or Grimmie. you must be a fan boy or you completely loathe Shakira like most of the america does. Anyways , to each their own.

• Christopher says:

I prefer Tess and Kat to Christina as well. Christina has that shrill quality to her voice that sounds like nails down a chalkboard to me. Tess and Kat have fuller, more developed sounds, plus seem to connect better. Christina getting down on her knee was so contrived, awkward and staged. lol

• Adake says:

There has been so much whining about Christina and her fan base, I wanted to defend her excellent performance tonight. As for Shakira, I prefer Christina A. as a coach over her. Just expressing my opinion Mori, as that is the purpose of this blog’s comments area. We can respectfully disagree.

• Mori_Samuel says:

Ok! To each their own but i doubt you can judge a persons coaching ability with just few seconds of studio rehearsals. Secondly, i never asked who is a better coach, neither you nor those 4 people sitting in the red chair are the best.

• Mori_Samuel says:

I forgot to add, pardon me. what you see as whining some others might see as a valuable reasoning. I never denied Christina is bad, I just said she was not the best. If one had an opinion to voice out, they should, you or anyone have the right to argue with them.

22. Winks says:

I was kind of thinking a recap would include who got sent home and who was selected. I missed some of tonight’s show. Can someone fill me in?

23. Kaba says:

Enjoy the greatness of the contestants now.
    Just remember that next week they’re all subject to the choices of their coaches LOL.
    Who are we going to nominate as the sacrificial lamb to sing “Bad Girls” from Shakira’s team of superwomen?
    Will this be another season in which Adam somehow gets 2 of his members eliminated in one night?

• Adake says:

Kaba, your strong dislike of Adam always shines thru. Personally I think Adam and Usher are the best, most interesting coaches on this show. They challenge their contestants instead of throwing them softball songs. But that’s just my opinion.

• Kaba says:

I don’t think I’ve ever hid how much I thoroughly dislike Adam. I don’t think he’s much good at choosing proper songs for his team, then again I feel the same for Shakira, CeeLo, and even Blake at times. What I mainly dislike is the amount of times he has willingly and openly thrown members of his team under the bus just to promote his chosen one.

• JM says:

I’m not a fan of ‘the sexyist many alive’ (UGH) either. To me, the best coach by far is Usher. Love him. (And he’s way more sexy than Adam). Then as a distant second, Blake.

• Kaba says:

I’d hand to Usher without a doubt. Then Christina when she’s not all angry at something/one. Adam is like…dead last to me.

• Adake says:

You of course have a right to your opinion. But there is a reason that the top contestants (except country) choose Adam in the blinds and during the steals. He’s that good. Bria Kelly was the one that got away but she was smart to go to Usher’s team Too many good singers on Team Adam.

• Kaba says:

I’ve never really seen him do anything as a coach that stands out quite honestly. While many would say he was superb as a coach last season, I thoroughly disagree and felt his entire team (even tessanne) could have been handled better. I think Usher’s team is right up there with Adams…then again I’d say the current teams as they are…painfully painfully even currently.

24. Kimbo says:

If we’re going to hound on Sisaundra for over-embellishing and doing too much with a song then Christina shouldn’t get a pass herself with how she treated the last 40ish seconds of her performance.

• Lena says:

Christina is white, so people are ignoring what she does. I guess she was screaming too at one point in the song, but it’s okay for her to hit certain notes but not Sisaundra. The very thing people criticized Sisaundra for, people are complimenting with Christina. I’m sure my opinion won’t be popular, but it is clear.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Uh huh. :( I typically roll my eyes super hard when I see this particular argument about the double standard, but in this case, I could not agree more. The basic implication is “please sing more whitely so that I can like you.” I’ve thought the same exact thing you just said, and I’m glad you had the courage to post it first cuz I wasn’t going to.

25. JM says:

SPOILER (maybe)

Does anyone remember in the preview last week that they announced that one singer falls apart? They showed Adam saying ‘That was unfortunate…’ so I thought that the singer was on Adam’s team, but obviously no.

That means the singer is on Usher’s, and I have a feeling it will be Stevie Jo based on the previews shown tonight (they DIDN’T show Stevie singing). If it is, I will be very upset if it is.

• Adake says:

Your right, I thought that person was on Team Adam too. That’s the way they edited it to deceive us. It must be someone on Team Usher. Mike guess will be Bria, T.J., and Josh go thru but look forward to tomorrow.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I’m so glad you did the preview work for me. I was going to try to figure it out too, but you did all the heavy lifting. Dude had no chance with that hair anyways. I so badly wanted to style him.

• analythinker says:

That would be a shame. I thought at first TJ wouldn’t have a chance. The third place would be either Stevie Jo or Melissa. But I will be wrong once again, heh.

• Jules says:

Please don’t let that be true!!!! Hopefully it’s just deceptive editing.

• MamaLis says:

Ya… Except the edit where Adam said “That was unfortunate” – WAS last night!!! He said it while deliberating who to chose for his team. He was obviously being sarcastic as the of the sentence was something like,…”Everyone did really well tonight… which was very unfortunate.”

So I dunno – I wonder if they rigged that whole drama thing. I hate that.

• Angie_Overrated says:

The quote was “I feel let down” not “that was unfortunate.” Did Adam also say “I feel let down” last night too? I honestly don’t remember and am hoping you do.

• analythinker says:

Oh, thank goodness. Adam did say “I feel let down… by no one.” That’s relieving, bc Stevie did a pretty good job. I was afraid it would be Josh screwing up (it’s not possible, heh).

26. analythinker says:

So far I’ve missed 1 for each team, but not exactly.
    Knew Jake & Sisaundra were gonna be in, toss between Audra & Madilyn (depends on performance).
    Thought Tess & Dani was a shoo-in, and the last one’s either Patrick (for variety reason) or Kristen.
    Felt Kat & Delvin were fixed and if Adam didn’t take Christina (bc of TPTB’s “rule”), he would have taken Morgan (instead of Jake, idk maybe bc historically Adam likes gritty voice more?).
    Now for Usher… TJ’s high note on the preview might change my mind. Usher’s a sucker for sustained high notes, no?

27. JM says:

I was blown away by the performances tonight–by the 6 singers chosen. They were the obvious choices, IMO.

Wow, so far the caliber of singing is way better than any season on the Voice so far.

28. Kaba says:

Can we talk about Kristen?
    I came back to my room and turned on my tv in a rush so her performance was a haze for me…
    Oh mama I liked that more than I had expected to. She is g-o-o-o-d.

• Angie_Overrated says:

See?! See?! Good, right? It’s a different type of voice from Audra despite being the same genre. But Kristen was objectively awesome tonight.

• Kaba says:

I had her written off as fodder so hard she practically needed to have that demon exorcised off her to be interesting to me.
        Never mind. Same with Dani Moz

• Quinn Carson says:

I enjoyed Kristen too, she’s underrated.

29. JW says:

THE SONG IS NOT CALLED “TROUBLE!” Its called “Lesson Learned”, from the album “Trouble.” He deserved to lose….he doesn’t know the name of the song he sang.

• JM says:

Really? I’ve always heard it called ‘Trouble’, and I’ve heard the name way too many times on these reality singing shows. Time to retire that song and ‘Ain’t no Sunshine’…

• Francine says:

The name of the song IS Trouble. Lesson Learned is a different song on a different album.

30. Davey says:

Though Delvin can sing I don’t think he’ll last long. Same with Kat unless she chooses better songs. Open Arms is the song they gave Elliot Yamin to eliminate him from the top 2 of American Idol. What’s with these song choices.

There are a lot of high powered women vocalists and they’re going to cancel each other out. No male singers with any charisma.

31. Mori_Samuel says:

Ok! Grimmie is winning this season. I don’t say she is the best but she has a huge fan base. Again! Are we kidding ourselves saying others might win even if they are as good or better than Grimmie? This season is going to be predictable and boring, Christina gets the votes all the time, even if she sucked big time. As far as i can hear, her vocal profile is as similar to Jackie Lee..
    Kat Perkins, Jake and Sisuandra were awesome!!!!!!!! Add Tess and Dani to it.
    I love Tess and Dani a lot. Shakira put up a good show, hopefully she continues to.

Cheers!
    P.s: I am planning to go to voice next year spring 15, For that i need to be sixteen years old (there goes my chances) and get 10 million fans in youtube (I am running now at 2K)..Phew i have my work cut out for the year.

• NotVirgin Mary says:

Christina is more like Cassadee Pope. They both have a large range, but thin voices. And both were predestined to win. Jaquie has a fuller tone. I don’t think Christina could pull off something like Love is Blindness.

• Angie_Overrated says:

NotVirgin Mary (awesome name, btw), you said EXACTLY what I said tonight to my hubby when we were watching the show. I also made the Cassadee comparison and noted how they both have thin voices. Since two people thought the same exact thing, it’s obviously true.

• Mori_Samuel says:

How unfair it has become! I will feel so disheartened if Grimmie wins or anyone as a matter of fact who has had a record deal, they got the exposure once and should have held it. I like Grimmie but i honestly think there are people who have captured my interest with their style of singing. I am sorry to say that i am one among the 2 million fans she has and also contributed to atleast 500 views of her blind auditions…I feel others were better .

• MamaLis says:

I don’t think “Grimmie” is gonna win. I didn’t even know who you were talking about with the whole “Grimmie” thing. Minus this apparent youtube drama stuff – she’s a really good singer but not “great!” In fact, I’ve heard better singers on youtube itself.

With Sssssandra and Delvin on the show, come on.

Plus the whole nasal thing….. mm mmm no.

32. Angie_Overrated says:

My biggest problem this season is I have no one to hate. Having someone to hate is also kind of fun, but they’re all too good. Oh wait, I forgot about Bria Kelly. Don’t think I can hate her either though. I think her technique sucks, but if that’s the worst this season has, I’m a happy camper.

• Kaba says:

I want to just embrace her with everything I can offer, especially since she’s from the same state as I….
      But I hear shades of Shakira’s vibrato in her AND she just has a horrid time with her lower register. I enjoy her high energy singing that’s pretty big, but I’m guessing she’ll just be called a screamer/loudmouth like Jacquie last season so…sigh. She’ll need to choose her songs carefully as humanly possible.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Ah, are you at UofV? Never been to “real” VA unless you count the DC suburbs which I don’t think count.
        Bria’s not terrible. It’s not my thing at all, but if it’s someone else’s thing, then go for it. For my Voice rocker chicks, I’ll take Juliette Simms and Kat Perkins.

• Kaba says:

Boy I wish I was at UVA. No, I’m actually attending school pretty close to where Bria is from. Not much buzz about her yet from what I’ve heard, but I wonder what’ll happen once she starts the lives. She’s piqued my interest so I’m still interested in what she brings to the table. Funny thing is I wasn’t so keen on Music Box, who I could very well run into on the streets around my campus at this rate. She’s that close.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Music Box (that NAME!!!) wasn’t horrible either. Nay, I’d venture to say she was kind of good. I still think she beat MJ.
            I live in a very large city so there’s never any buzz when someone local is on these shows. I don’t think it was mentioned once on the news when Amanda Brown and Sasha Allen were on the show.

• Kaba says:

Looking back I can’t say I disagree, but I think she would have just been a DOA contestant for the playoffs if Usher had put her through.
            I think it’s about time, maybe, The Voice just assume the old role Idol used to play and begin with the hometown visits and whatnot. Idol is just not…no…no this season. I can’t bear to imagine how scarce attendance will be for the final 3 home visits…if they can afford it >.>

• HTGR says:

Yeah, nobody from NYC or LA area on these shows gets much of local bonus vote, doesn’t matter nearly as much for The Voice though as for Idol, for it’s just forget it, you are not winning. Too much star power around for much attention to be made and too much of that Middle America/southern voting base on that show, entire regions there just go insane if someone makes it far. But the Amanda’s, Sasha’s, Jacquie’s and on and ons maybe get a quick mention for 30 seconds once or twice during their entire runs on the local news, if. Here people just notice unless you’re already established mega-star. Despite the giant talent bases to draw from, nobody near NYC or LA has ever won Idol and what like maybe only two ever, over all those seasons, have even made it to the finale. But again, for The Voice, it doesn’t seem to be a sure ticket home quite the way it is on Idol at all (but it probably does hurt just a tad).

• JM says:

Juliette Simms!! Oh how I wanted her to win!

33. Christopher says:

I already hate Christina! Her high notes are painful on the ears and Adam pretty much has said she’s sucked so far and he kept advancing her anyway. Wouldn’t have anything to do with her 2.5 million Youtube subscribers would it? And then he said she was BETTER than Delvin and Kat? No a chance in hell! To be perfectly honest, I would have picked Morgan over her. I really do think Shakira picked the three correct ones. I have especially grown fond of Tess!

• Lisa says:

I have to agree Christopher. I thought Christina had a good performance, but at points it seemed like an imitation of big-voiced singers like Christina Aguilera. My issue is that when I closed my eyes, there was nothing unique about her tone and she really borders on screaming which just isn’t my cup of tea. Also would have been nice to see more emotional connection on a song that was so personal to her and her mom. Morgan was far from perfect, but his tone was very interesting and Blake’s country/rock comment was something he could have built on. At the end of the day, I think people are just nervous of a Cassadee Pope Part 2 with talented singers going home earlier because they are not coming into the show with an existing fan base, especially if the Twitter Save is still in play this year.

34. HTGR says:

I think I may just keep it short and just say, man that Tess has got me interested.

35. HTGR says:

But I gotta mention Team Adam too. And man Kat! I think that actually may have been the performance of the entire season so far. Wow. But then this makes me have to say more, because what the heck was up with Slezak’s grades tonight?? Man, if ain’t Idol he just doesn’t respect it does he? Come on a B for that? Only a B??
    And in fact all of the Team Adam grades:
    Delvin Choice: “Let’s Stay Together” — Grade: B
    Jake Barker: “She Will Be Loved” — Grade: C+
    Kat Perkins: “Open Arms” — Grade: B
    Morgan Wallen: Florida Georgia Line’s “Stay” — Grade: C+
    Christina Grimmie: “I Won’t Give Up” — Grade: B-
    WTH??
    Kat was just perfection there, has got be an A, good grief!
    And I thought for the first time since the auditions Christina did great again, so come on a B-? Now I certainly won’t go all Adam/producers and claim she had the performance of the night since even on her own team Kat definitely did better and I’d have to put Tess from Shakira above her too. But Christina did have a really good night, so B-? Come on man. I think you’ve been dipping into some of Blake’s special mineral water there or something.
    Delvin was really good too, a straight B seemed a bit low.
    And I liked what Morgan did too, so C+, not so sure. I think I liked him better than perhaps two that made Team Blake.

• Angie_Overrated says:

HTGR, we’re not supposed to ever agree. Why are we agreeing that Kat had the performance of the season? Sisaundra’s song last week was up there for me too, but Kat knocked my socks off tonight.
      And I think Slezak’s grades tonight are hangover effect from how bad his beloved Idol has gotten. I was cranky too when I gave up this season, but I’m already at the acceptance stage of my grieving process.

• Christopher says:

It is really really silly, especially considering he gave Kat a B and on the Idol recap gave Jena and Dexter B+’s. lmao! I agree Morgan deserved higher than a C+ as well.

• Timmah says:

I’d say a B was generous. Kat puts me to sleep.

36. HTGR says:

Anyway Tess and Kat for me tonight. Spectacular. I had pretty much just given the night to Tess and that would be it. But Kat had a helluva an Open Arms there.
    And Delvin, Dani, Christina were really good too. A lot of good stuff tonight.
    Getting excited after tonight.

37. Olive says:

If I close my eyes, I can’t pick out one “big voiced” female from the other. One big homogeneous female vocal is all this season is. Any one who even remotely has their own sound has been kicked off. And super shame on these coaches for not even BOTHERING to figure out what kind of music Morgan Wallen really wanted to sing!! He was my favourite and nobody else even bothered to hold my attention tonight. Sisaundra and Jake Worthington are the only two distinct voices left this year.

• Timmah says:

That is one thing that Idol has over this show. Because the judges pick as a group, they can get together and make sure the final 12 are a diverse group of singers of different styles. There’s a definite danger we’re going to get diva fatigue on The Voice this season.

• Angie_Overrated says:

You can’t tell the difference between Sisaundra’s voice, Kat’s voice, Audra’s voice, Tess’ voice, etc? Really? Those voices sound the same to you? How? None of those big voices sound even remotely similar.

• Timmah says:

I can tell the difference between Travis Tritt and Blake Shelton, but I wouldn’t want all 12 finalists to be country singers.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Sisaundra is gospel-soul, Kat is old school rock, Audra is full on country, Tess is straight up pop, etc. Their voices and styles are not even remotely similar by any stretch of the imagination. I respect that you think the smaller “quirky” voices are more your speed, but to say that all these singers are similar is pretty wacky. They’re really nothing alike aside from all of them being outstanding singers.

Uh-oh, 100% agree

• Timmah says:

Their favorite genres may be different, but their styles are similar. They’re almost all big-voice females, as the other poster said. Some people would prefer more variety that’s all, particularly when it comes to male-female, big-small, etc.

@Timmah
            “Big voice” is definitely not grounds for them sounding the same. Maybe if you could argue that they’ve all got the same tone, but singing big doesn’t mean anything. And if you can’t identify any of these women from one another or at least recognize when another is singing that’s your problem because not a single woman on this show shares the same tone so far. Style wise you might have an argument, but in terms of sound, no.

• Angie_Overrated says:

If you only like the small voices, you’re watching the wrong show. You seem to gravitate towards the singers that don’t really have voices but rather highly stylized and affected quirkiness. That’s fine. But a voice like that will never win The Voice. In fact, they rarely last for more than an episode or two in the finals with the one exception of Dia Frampton. Sorry, but if Kat put you to sleep tonight and Sisaundra is horrible yet you’re still upset that Madilyn and Ddendyl are gone, I can confidently state that you will never like this show. Those types of singers typically can’t hold a candle to someone like Kat, Audra, Sisaundra, Josh, Delvin, etc.

• Timmah says:

Ok, you guys have convinced me this is not the show for me.

38. Timmah says:

Daniel Johnston on a Firestone commercial? Now I’ve heard everything.

39. The only thing I disagreed with tonight was Shakira choosing Kristen over Patrick. Not necessarily on vocal merits, but I think people would connect more with Patrick, which is something people need to think about.

40. danin says:

My faves Kristin, wy have they been hiding her…thought we were officially out of the closet, Josh, man, I hope it’s not him who effs up tomorrow, Kat, rock on sister, maybe Bria,maybe Christine, and I haven’t remembered every one’s name yet.

41. NotVirgin Mary says:

I can’t understand why some don’t care for Kat. She was amazing. Flawless. As far as I’m concerned, the night belonged to her and Tess.

Dani was technically great, with barely any mistakes, but something about her is so generic. I would rather watch Gaga perform it on Howard Stern again (for the 100th time.) I just can’t like her, for some reason. Maybe I’m subconsciously projecting my saltiness over Clarissa leaving. Ugh.

Kristen was great, but I’m worried that that was her limit. She didn’t stray above that high note, but I want her to push. I want more, but I think her genre is limiting her.

Deja was karaoke and solidified the fact that Ddendyl was robbed.

First half of Grimmie’s performance was boring, the second half was filled with runs and high notes that didn’t belong in that song. If she wants to do those vocal gymnastics, choose a different song. Don’t do vocal gymnastics for the sake of vocal gymnastics. Sisaundra doesn’t do it because she wants to, she does them because it fits. It helps tell a story. Not saying she wasn’t good, cause she was, but hardly an A like many others were saying.

Song choice held back Delvin. Very coffee-house-singer-like. It was great, though. I enjoyed it, but this isn’t stuff he’s gonna win with.

I’m frankly flabbergasted that the coaches made ALL the right choices. Especially with Shakira. Someone needs to take away her coaching privileges. Anyways, this season is already has a predetermined winner. As soon as Adam called Christina’s name, she won the show.

• MC says:

I think that Shakira may have planned all along to advance Tess, Dani and Kristen to the live shows. Deja did not beat Ddendyl, but I don’t think Ddendyl was all that special. She’s kind of a one trick pony because she sings everything in that affected style. She reminds me of Erin Martin from a previous season. Shakira was the only one to turn for Ddendyl during the blinds and the other coaches never showed much interest in her. There has to be a reason for that. Deja was going to be fodder and I think Shakira was already strongly committed to the three she ultimately chose for the live shows.

• NotVirgin Mary says:

I don’t honestly think Shaki is that evil.

• analythinker says:

She’s not, but I recall an interview at the beginning of season 6 saying she wants to focus on female contestants this year, so… yeah, it has been her plan all along.

• NotVirgin Mary says:

I don’t see how that translates into her having everything set out in her mind.

• analythinker says:

@NotVirginMary Maybe not, but she’s more determined to work with young female, she says, bc it’s in her wheelhouse. But of course, if there’s an irresistible male singer, she would have been “forced” to change that initial plan. But there wasn’t exactly any strong male singer on her team this season (arguably).

• NotVirgin Mary says:

Erin really couldn’t sing

• NotVirgin Mary says:

Oh god I hate doing this on mobile. What I meant to say (in one reply) is:
        I honestly don’t think Shaki is that evil. She was too attached to Deja to think about that ahead of time.

Erin can’t sing without that annoying screech, and her pitch suffered a lot. Ddendyl’s phrasing is delicate and her cool tone wraps everything together. It didn’t affect her pitch, as far as I can tell. I don’t think she was considered fodder by most. She was one of many’s personal favorites, and I was extremely disappointed when Shaki let her go.

• MC says:

I don’t think Shakira is evil at all. I think Shakira realized that she made a mistake turning for Ddendyl because Ddendyl has a head voice, but not much of a chest voice. She can’t belt at all and that’s a big problem on this type of show. I watched all of Ddendyl’s appearances and the other three coaches barely acknowledged her existence. That is always a bad sign. Ddendyl, like Erin Martin, is a one trick pony. They are very similar and choosing songs for Ddendyl would be a nightmare. You have to know who you really like on your team. Shakira knew who she wanted for the live shows and the winner of Deja-Ddendyl was going home anyway. There was nothing evil about it, just good team strategy.

• NotVirgin Mary says:

I use the word evil in a playful manner. I don’t think the term one-trick pony is applicable to Ddendyl. She isn’t singing in a very limited range. She isn’t singing one-note songs. I d

• NotVirgin Mary says:

on’t think that term should be used when the categories of what you can define as one-trick devolve into subcategories. Is her phrasing the one-trick, or is it her tone? Neither limits her abilities as a capable singer. A lot of singers don’t have a prominent chest voice, but I believe she could make do. Ddendyl showed a lot of promise, and I think Shakira was too quick to let her go. She mentioned her extensive training since she was a child, and I wanted to see more from her. Anyways, speculation about Shakira’s motives are pointless.

• MC says:

@NotVirginMary – I do think that Ddendyl has a limited range and relies too much on her “unique” tone. I expected more from her “Say Something” performance because there was some buzz about her. Alex and Sierra performed the song better on the X Factor. I then looked at all of her appearances and realized that, in my mind, Ddendyl is overrated. She simply does not have the ability to belt or take a song to another level. I know that Shakira relies on advice from the other coaches and they were very lukewarm about Ddendyl. “Speculation,” when it is based on careful observation, can be just as valuable as a confession or an interview with the person involved. There is a parallel to circumstantial evidence cases in the legal profession, but I don’t want to go off topic.

42. M says:

The one person who seems to be harping on everyone for being skeptic about Christina’s chances of consistency…it’s within good reason. Everyone’s concern is that the show will just be a buzzkill to watch since the chances are just that high that Grimmie’s fanbase will just carry her to a win regardless of everything.

43. Brandy says:

Gotta say, them people love them some Grimmie.
    Girl is ranked 74 on top 100 and the rest of the performances are nowhere in sight.
    Interesting season we’ve got here.

44. Angie_Overrated says:

Rewatching all of tonight’s performances, and I’m starting to realize that a huge advantage I haven’t heard many folks talk about The Voice contestants vs. Idol is how the more seasoned Voice people know how to work a stage. Kristen got me pumped up over a country song and I hate country. Kat showed you can move around the stage and sell a power ballad. But on Idol you have Jess walking around in circles with a deadpan face singing Blondie. Or Sam standing stationary surrounded by lightbulbs, table lamps, floor lamps, ceiling lamps, and shrieking / pimply 12 year old girls.

• Brandy says:

Agreed, they must have a better staging director/coach. Even the inexperienced Jake Barker worked the stage better than any AI contestant this season, it’s a shame.

45. I listen – I don’t watch the performances because I don’t want to see the judges’ reactions or hear their comments. I think it influences your opinion on something, so here goes. Shakira: Dani, Tess, & Kristina (in that order) | Adam: Christina, Kat, & Delvin (in that order). Delvin and Kat IMO doesn’t impress.

46. justme says:

Michael- Any thoughts on Christina’s performance?

47. Eric Niewohner says:

I have watched most of the voice this year but had not seen Kristina perform and I was blown away. I really like that song, but man she showed off such technical artistry and passion that I was shocked. Adam you are on drugs giving that a B- it was the best performance of the night for me in a night with some really great performances. I cannot even understand how he rated her so low. I have been singing for a long time and her ability to sing with both her chest voice, head voice and falsetto was really impressive, wow. She utilized her dynamics masterfully and just owned the stage.

Really like Kristin too I thought she was toast since the producers of the show had really shafted her previously but she sang the heck out that Underwood song and it was not an easy song to sing. Loved her energy, her range and just thought she was really, really good.

Delvin was smooth as silk and since I am probably a bit older than many of you I enjoyed the song and his mastery of it.

Dani wasn’t perfect but she really touched me bringing genuine emotion to a song that I had never felt before with Gaga’s version. She certainly got to me emotionally.

I do like Kat but unlike some of you I was not overly impressed with her version of Open Arms. When Steve Perry sings that song he is hitting a high a, possibly a high b, whereas Kat sang it in Perry’s range so the song lost its power since a woman singing in that range just doesn’t sound as good as a guy singing in that range. Yes she sang it well and made no mistakes, but I never felt the emotional flow I feel when Perry sings that song. Never the less I agree with Adam’s decision to pick her.

That brings me to Tess one of Adam S. favorites and as usual with his favs he overlooks their flaws. Tess is good, but I heard several transition errors when she went for her high notes and she was out of the pocket a few times as well. I think another poster said it sounded choppy and I agree. She should go to the lives but I don’t think she will go that far.

48. HTGR says:

For all the intense arguing over grades and relative merits, one shocking thing seems to be the 95%+ agreement on the top six being who they were and that it was a pretty fine night.

49. Kiki says:

Here’s the thing: we get amazing vocalists on this show. But which one is a STAR? It’s about more than the voice! That’s why there haven’t been any breakout stars in five seasons!!! Sisaundra and Kat have stellar voices (as do many others this season, like Tess, Dani, and Delvin). But I can’t see any of them selling out concert tours. Can you?

***Michael, it’s BRAKE pads. Maybe you need to hire a copy editor. Your article is strewn with typos. I know you write this late at night, but still.***

50. Sieves says:

ARE YOU DEAF??????

Delvin Choice a B?
    Christina Grimmie an B-????????

Even Kat at a B seems ridiculous.

You gave Christina the same score as Patrick Thompson. I’m sorry, but regardless of how you feel about her tone, there is NO WAY those performances were equivalent. Hell no-n-n-n-n-no-no-no-no-no-no-NO!

I’m seriously floored, these scores are ridiculous for team Adam.

Tess is a grade A generic singer. Her tone isn’t that interesting or gripping. Don’t get the spazzing over her, at all. Meanwhile Dani was definitely the best of the night and deserved an A. Kat/Delvin/Christina all deserved at least B+ if not A-. I mean really Slezak. I know you’re cynical about reality singing competitions due to the atrocity that is American Idol this season, but I think your disdain with That Other Show is somehow affecting your brain. These scores were not right. I hope Melissa sets you right D:<

• Emma says:

#1 – I agree with Michael, so maybe you’re the one who is deaf.
      #2 – Her name is Melinda, not Melissa. SMDH.