Exclusive

New Girl Exclusive Video: Nick-Jess Breakup Means 'Boob Season's Over!'

Breaking up is hard to do, as the old song goes, but announcing it to your friends can be even harder — especially when one of ‘em is celebrating life-altering good news.

Such is the case in this Tuesday’s installment of New Girl (9/8c on Fox), as the suddenly single (and subsequently sad) Nick and Jess try not to rain on Winston’s parade after finding out their pal is headed to the police academy.

RELATED | May Sweeps Scorecard 2014: Deaths, Weddings, Births, Sex, Resurrections, Firings and More!

Brace yourselves for cat ears, a shockingly white fashion statement, Dirty Dancing and assured mutual depression.

Press PLAY below for an inside look at the episode, aptly titled “Big News.”

1. Mo says:

Liz needs to get that confidence up to be okay with having some drama and angst mixed with the comedy…that’s what made the last string of Season 2 episodes so strong!

2. Steven says:

I’m not ready for this :(

3. Belle says:

Ugh, bring back Schmidt and CeCe love!!!! Miss them…

4. Veronica says:

Not happy about the breakup. They are perfect together. Many successful comedies had staple couples (HIMYM’s Lily and Marshall) and Friend’s Monica and Chandler. Please reunite them.

• D says:

Yes, but lily and Marshall were broken up for a while and it took I think 4 seasons for Monica and chandler to get even slightly romantic, so even staple couples have problems on tv

5. James D says:

Arg this season has been dissapointing and it’s not because Nick and Jess were together IMO it was the saving grace of this season. it’s the throw stuff against the wall and see what sticks mentality of Liz and here writers and the complete lack of character development that is destroying this once gem of a show. I will continue to watch because the season is almost over, but they need to get their ducks in a row for next season if they hope to save this sinking ship. I really hope they do because this was becoming my favorite sitcom to watch since scrubs.

6. RP says:

I can’t believe they’re throwing away the ONE THING that worked this season. I’ll stick around for the last 3 episodes, but they’re losing me FAST at this point. Can we give a story line to another character? PLEASE? Now you throw in a random and unnecessary break up to add MORE drama? Yep, that’ll lighten the mood of the show. :::head desk::: I don’t know what the writers are thinking. This show used to be so HONEST, and ORGANIC, and REALISTIC, and UNIQUE. They might as well just add a laugh track now…….. If I wanted to watch an angst-y teenage drama-filled show, I’d tune in to the CW. These people are in their 30s and had made so much progress and now they seem to want to revert them to their early 20s again. Even the 3 guys hitting on those women in Mars Landing was borderline creepy. They turned them all into idiots.

7. Liz says:

Geez Liz’s comment made me so angry! They hope they did the right thing? Please! Liz and her writers need to get it together! You broke up the best thing you had going this season and for what? Figure out where you want these characters to go, get a plan and stick to it! Their inability to plan and execute a story is killing this show!

• RP says:

I’m so annoyed with her comments on the season being too heavy. If she thought that, why did she continue to let it be written that way? And, you know, throw in a random break up 3 episodes from the end of the season? If SHE doesn’t have control over where the show goes, who does?

8. Ari says:

I’m so glad Nick and Jess broke up. They really brought out the worst part of each other’s character.

9. Nicole says:

What’s wrong with things being a little heavy? They said they wanted to keep it honest, well HONESTLY relationships can be heavy. I love Nick and Jess together and I think that was the most honesty thing that came out of this season. I think they made the decision to get them together earlier than some of us expected but it made sense. Now they need to keep running with it. Learn how to write for the characters they’ve become. If they want to brake them up, which does happen in some relationships, maybe they should have considered doing it next season and for a much better reason than “I miss my friend” because that isn’t realistic. I think the whole reason behind it was ratings and now they’re trying to get back to where they were before they got together because they think the relationship is what caused the ratings to go down when it was the only thing keeping I afloat. Maybe put more focus on the other characters. For goodness sake, they turned Winston into a psychotic cat lover. He had NO real storyline. They brought Coach back but didn’t use him to his full capability. Both he and Winston are hilarious. Give them both some women and please bring in some black women. I hate that that best they could some up with for them was Bertie and some ghetto, strawberry stealing black girl. Come on! I absolutely adore this show and am borderline obsessed with it. I really don’t want season 4 to be the end. If they are going to go back to their roots, build on it. Allow these characters to truly grow and not still try to act like they’re in their 20s. This show still has the potential to surpass Friends. Now, make it happen.

10. Amanda says:

Honestly the chemistry between the two characters is too strong.. Jake and zooey are such great actors that idk if the chemistry is all acting or real.. I just wanted so much more for this show.. I know they will get back together at some point but their relationship is the glue. I still am perplexed by why they can’t find a story for a functional funny couple.. Every relationship has growing pains and challenges but that isn’t a reason to give up..

11. john navarro says:

wow this is a tough one to comment too, out of a few women that i had broken up with or vise a versa, once we broke up, i had to get to a point to see the good and bad in the relationship, haven found out there’s no point to be together is mute, then the harshness has to fall-in, if anyone said that they BOTH were good about it was either lying about it or was kidding themselves, love is suppose to be hard to fall into because it’s meant to be harder to fall out of.. and if nothing else it’s a learning process of grown-up and some (not all ) seem to grow apart, but in my life most of the time there’s always a third party and the one that keep his eyes nail to the sky, usually ends up with rain falling down from his cheeks.. if you’re into metaphors..but to each their own, ciao dreamgirl juan