Revenge Recap: The Case of the Poisoned Pen

Revenge Season 3 RecapApparently, there was recently a run on Sharpies in the Hamptons, because as of this week’s Revenge, Emily is no longer the only character on the show to wield a pen as if it were a sword. Read on, and I’ll “X”-plain…

PEN PALS | Early on in “Allegiance,” Emily attends a horse race wearing the largest hat I’ve seen since Dynasty unveiled Joan Collins. In spite of this, she still manages to eavesdrop on Victoria as she argues with a former Grayson Global employee, Luke Gilliam, as he loudly implicates himself in David’s downfall. Natch, the erstwhile Amanda then makes it her mission to cozy up to him — and, with Jack’s help, bring him down. (Aiden is otherwise occupied. More on that in a bit.) If this sounds like business as usual, it should. It is. When all is said and done, Emily even whips out her red Sharpie and draws an X across Luke’s face in the same photo that she’s doodled on a dozen times. But here’s where things get interesting. At that same moment, we cut to a black Sharpie also Xing Luke out on a copy of the picture. It’s Victoria! She brought Luke to the Hamptons and arranged for Emily to overhear them to test a theory — that her former daughter-in-law isn’t just out to get the Graysons. “It’s revenge,” she tells Pascal, “for David.”

RELATED | Are Barry Sloane’s Revenge Days Numbered?

DRAG RACE | Meanwhile, with an assist from Nolan, Aiden (told you we’d get to him) has tracked down Brenda Evans, a mystery woman who’s been spending Oscar Chapman’s money since he faked his death. With good reason, too — Brenda is Oscar in a wig! (And over the shark we jump.) Off that shock, the reporter tells Aiden in a single highly informative scene that his father thought he was planting diamonds on Flight 197, not a bomb, and he didn’t kill himself, Pascal murdered him. You must come forward, Aiden says. And, since apparently he’d only been waiting for someone to ask, Oscar says okay. Shortly thereafter, he is, of course, shot in cold blood by Pascal. (Mondieu!)

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s Already Picked Up? What’s Still on the Bubble?

SOCIETY NEWS | In other plot developments, Conrad tries to stir up trouble between Victoria and Pascal by suggesting to his ex that Frenchie, too, has David’s blood on his hands. In turn, Pascal reveals to Conrad that he has a recording of a 20-year-old conversation that implicates them both (but would only implicate Conrad after he was done doctoring it). Jack is so irritated with Margaux for helping Daniel steal Javier’s program out from under Nolan that he more or less dumps her. (Personally, I would’ve done it when I got back from returning my alcoholic mother to the West Coast and my girlfriend asked, “Did you have fun in L.A.?”) And finally, Nolan is so irritated with Daniel that he shows up at Grayson Manor, messes with the electricity and declares war. (Sadly, he does so without slapping his enemy with a glove.)

Okay, your turn. What did you think of the episode? Was a bewigged Oscar too much? Did Victoria’s Sharpie redeem the hour? Hit the comments!

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Recaps

1. mc says:

If only for the Frenchman’s accent… Ugh!

2. Jess says:

WHY IS NO ONE MORE EXCITED THAT SHE KNOWS

• mc says:

Maybe they gave up. I didn’t. :)

• Caroline says:

Yeah, I kind of gave up, the show is kind of getting predictable. I still like it though. It’s a like-hate relationship in progress. Emily should be worried she has some Victoria tendencies. She is trying to take down Victoria, but in the process, she acts like her from time to time. Revenge is not sweet or worth it if you become your enemy. Also, I use to feel bad for Daniel, but now he is completely annoying. I can’t wait for Margaux to find out how much of a butt Daniel is and that her dad is a killer. She acts like she is above cheating and makes those comments that make Jack the bad guy. I use to kind of like Victoria, but I find her annoying now too. She acts like the world is against her and she has to fight them off. But she welcomes it, and then act brooding about it. Javier is completely annoying from day one. I hope they tell Charlotte the truth. She is starting to believe Jack and co. are the bad guys and she is going to feel like a butt when she finds out.

• Mike says:

I agree, ANNOYANCE is what I’m feeling. Freaking fell in love with the show at the start. But you know, things get real in TV and lame storytelling comes in once, twice or maybe a couple of times (except well for Breaking Bad, GOT :) ). But I LOVED THIS SHOW THEN… And I shall(and will) love it still.

• Lara B. says:

I don’t watch the show anymore, but I read the recaps on here every week. I lost interest in the show around the time they brought back the ex-girlfriend. I found I was having to force myself to watch it, so I just figured I’d stop watching. Reading the recaps works well enough for me.

• MJ says:

I have done the exact same thing. I have like 7 episodes in the DVR right now. I read the recaps seeing if I should start watching again, but I haven’t seen a good reason yet. The story line seems to be all over the place…first she is getting revenge on Grayson Global employees, then its the Initiative, and now its Pascal…who is next? How many more people could be involved in taking David Clarke down.

• Mikael says:

Same here. Once they brought back Daniel’s ex, I had enough. It sounds like it could be getting better, so I might tune back in for the finale.

• Lauri says:

That is exactly what I do. I got bored about the same time and occasionally read recaps to see if would be worth watching again. So far, no!

• Andrew says:

Who is to say that she really knows? For all we know, Victoria might actually be thinking she’s doing it on Fauxmanda’s behalf. After all, she and Emily were best friends.

However, I’m with you that Victoria should find out. Keeping a character that blind for the sake of the story gets old.

I also think Charlotte should find out that Emily is actually her half-sister before this season is over.

3. N says:

Loved your recap! Loved Vic’s black sharpie!

4. Greg says:

FINALLY.

Since the show moved to 10PM, every episode has been such a chore to get through with endless plots and stupid dialogue. Tonight, now that was the show I fell in love with in season one.
    Major answers to the MAIN story, twists and turns, a take down, side plots that actually progressed with logic, and a fantastic ending.
    Come on, REVENGE. Be like THIS for the rest of the season.
    Everything worked tonight- we had Aiden and Nolan working together and actually getting answers, only to have them crushed by the end of the hour due to the man who has ALWAYS been the big bad- CONRAD. Now, I know, I know… Pascal is involved way more than he is letting on (especially with what he told Victoria) but this all goes back to Cpnrad. It actually humanizes Victoria a bit because though she is ruthless too, she wasn’t the mastermind behind everything the way Conrad was.
    We had Emily going back to “take down” mode- with Jack as an aid this time. And she actually got results- something she has been failing to do for weeks. She got information on Conrad and is very close to getting everything she needs to clear her father. And yes, they are definitely pushing the Emily/Aiden/Jack triangle full force now that Jack is over MarPLEASEgo.
    Speaking of, I actually didn’t mind her this week, or Daniel, or Charlotte, or Javier. It was actually a nice side story and I am looking forward to Nolan Vs. Daniel.
    Victoria at the end with the black sharpie saying this is about REVENGE was just EPIC in every possible way.
    I can’t say enough positive things about this installment. It seems like forever since an episode has been this good.

5. Scott says:

So we’re supposed to believe that Victoria has figured out Emily’s agenda by also looking at the same picture of Grayson Global employees?

• dee123 says:

Um… If you had the knowledge that terrible things had happened to these people’s lives and that happens to match up with Emily’s timeline. Well, most people would make this conclusion.

• Scott says:

then it shouldn’t take her too long to figure out she’s really Amanda Clark

• Ann says:

I don’t think they’ll figure out she’s actually Amanda anytime soon. I think Victoria’s theory would be that Emily and Faux Amanda were in cahoots because they’re besties. And that after Amanda died, Emily sought to take revenge for Faux Amanda. It will probably be near the end of the series when Emily reveals her true identity. Even though I don’t like Charlotte much, I’m curious to see what her reaction would be when Emily’s true identity is revealed. Does she remain loyal to her brother Daniel and the family that raised her? Or would she switch sides after learning that her family caused the death of her biological father and would she forgive Emily for lying to her all these years?

• Alichat says:

Actually, you could argue that Conrad is the one taking all of these people down. Except for Lydia, these are all people he doesn’t care about and who are tied to the downing of the flight. Conrad could be cleaning house. Remember he did lie to Victoria about what the Initiative was/is and his role in that mess. So, I don’t totally buy her arriving at this conclusion just because DeKay’s character had a downfall. However, it’s happened and there’s not much to be done to backtrack that revelation. What I am interested in seeing is how Victoria will react when she finds out that Pascal lied to her and had more of a role in ruining David Clark, AND that Pascal has had audio recordings which would have cleared David Clark all this time and did nothing with them but protect himself.

6. Beth says:

This recap was better than the actual show last night. My favorite part is the comment about Emily’s hat!

7. Guys, you realize what this is setting up right?

Emily and Victoria against Conrad. That’s why they have dropping all these “beloved David Clark” lines in the past few episodes.

My prediction? Conrad’s actions cause Charlotte or Daniel to die and that makes Victoria go to Emily and ask that they team up. Emily accepts because in the end, Victoria has only ever been protecting her family.

• mc says:

Either siblings are worth saving, IMHO.

• joebatch says:

Stephanie, I just had a fleeting thought about Victoria and Emily teaming up while watching the end of the show but you are right. If they do team up then it will be scorched earth time and everybody with-in a 100 miles of them better fasten their seat belts. When it’s all over after Emily and Victoria vanquish all her wronged them they both will realize they were always on the same page all along, wanting to clear the name of the man they both loved,David Clark.

• davey says:

I think even if Victoria and Emily team up, Emily will want to punish her. Victoria went along with everything!

• Meg says:

I feel like Charlotte has to be the one to die to get Emily to work wth Victoria. Charlotte is her sister. I don’t think Emily would do anything to help Victoria in the wake of Daniel’s death.

• SouthernBelle says:

I hope you’re right about Emily and Victoria teaming up. I can’t imagine the threat they would pose as a team. I can’t wait to see what Victoria does with her new discovery about Emily. Why must we wait two weeks? At least it wasn’t the season finale. That could easily have been a season finale moment.

• Bob F. says:

Yes, I think you are on to something here. In the end, it will be Victoria vs Conrad rather then Emily vs the Graysons. That alters all the combinations of friend vs foe. Like any soap opera, they work in mysterious ways.

• Natalie says:

Yes Victoria and Emily working together would be extraordinary! But I don’t see how they could ever trust each other enough to make it work.

• Mike says:

I never want to see Emily teaming up with Victoria (unless it’s for a subplot like in S3E1). They can rewrite her multiple-rape backstory however much they like: she’s still the enemy and should be taken down just like the rest of the Graysons. Dressing up her guilt in endless self-pity doesn’t make her any more sympathetic.

• Beth says:

Mike I disagree, I feel like to some extent Victoria has always been a sympathetic character. She hides behind a manipulative and vicious facade but really she’s lost and confused and hurting. The writers and Madeleine Stowe have done such a great job at making her character so multi-faceted. I’m always surprised to hear people say that she’s a villain, because in my opinion she’s more of a victim. Everything she’s done has been out of a militant sense of self protection, due to her circumstances growing up.

8. Matt says:

Last nights’ episode was awesome, but I am also very intrigued as to how the Nolan v.s. Daniel story is going to play out. Plus, the end with Victoria and the sharpie was FANTASTIC!!

9. Jake says:

Goodness! Revenge, where have you been all this time?!? Fast plotting, drama, revenge, hatred thrown all around!

Of course, I suspect this sudden adrenaline in storyline is merely a set up for the finale. The next season then comes around, we would see another fast forward that is Oh-So-Shocking with crappy episodes filled in between. Sad, sad.

10. Jessie says:

Wow great episode last night. Victoria is finally putting the pieces together. I wonder if she will figure out Emily is Amanda.

11. Deion says:

Lots of war being declared on Revenge as of late. There was enough animosity between Daniel and Nolan to not have to create a character viewers have no connection to to set off their own war. I’m, of course talking about Javier. Mistakes have been made and I’m glad they are trying to fix them, but let work with the chess pieces we’ve got. Giving Charlotte a boy to play with doesn’t make her better. Have her pick a side and get involved with the main story.

12. Beth says:

Was it just me, or did the writing seem off in this episode? I’m a huge fan of the show and obviously I’m hooked after the Victoria reveal, but I felt that the dialogue was weak. Hopefully it was just a fluke!

• Prissi says:

I thought the same thing about the dialogue. It was very simplistic. The actors on this show are far superior to the writing at this point. The first season everything was fast and crisp and one point. Remember the Nolanisms? I am sad to see what has happened to this show. I still love it. I feel for the actors.

13. Katie says:

Was Pascal asleep in the last scene? Victoria has a big ah ha moment while sitting on his lap and he just continues to stare into the fire? This episode was a good one, although I’m getting a bit tired of Aidan again

14. c says:

Was anyone else bewildered by the fact that Conrad knew who aidens dad was?… A year ago he was clueless to who he was when he was working with Daniel at Grayson global

15. Meredith says:

Team Emily needs a win, badly. The Grayson’s having a leg up and being a step ahead is getting tiresome and makes it seem like Emily is way off her game. I fast forward through every scene with Daniel and Charlotte in it, they are the WORST. I wish someone would clue Charlotte in to how horrible her family really is, maybe it would knock her off her high horse.

16. Anna says:

I feel like I only watch this show for Nolan at this point, so the scene where he confronted Daniel and Charlotte made me REALLY happy. I just want Nolan to be badass and bring Daniel down, because he deserves it (or, as I say every week, just kill the dude…).

• Natalie says:

Yes!! I’m so excited for Nolan to be getting more hands-on with the Graysons.

• abz says:

When Nolan referred to Charlotte as “this one” I just burst out laughing. That had to be one of the best pieces of dialogue I’ve seen on this show in a really long time. That entire scene was just perfect.

• Mike says:

Nolan has a history of making grand gestures and threats and then spectacularly failing to deliver on them. Remember him telling Emily she didn’t want him as an enemy way back when? Dude is all talk. It was a great scene, but the writers are never going to let him follow it through.

17. jerrired says:

This could be an unpopular opinion, but I’ve really been enjoying the latter half of the season. Yeah some of the storylines are dragging but I’m enjoying the character development. I like the new version of Jack and Daniel. I loved the end where Nolan declared war on Daniel and Charlotte. I’m also glad Victoria is finally putting all the major pieces together. This season has been a vast improvement for season 2.

• Nosey says:

The Jack and Daniel development I love as well. Love the declare on war by Nolan against Daniel and Charlotte. The development I don’t like is Aiden. He is too far off the plot, and they are forcing his story line. Now Aiden’s family is some how connected to the bombing. Did not think his character was needed in the 1st place, until Takeda was killed (by him). He is only helpful b/c it adds numbers to her team, but she was just doing so much better when it was just her and Nolan. But Pascal, another lover of Victoria involved w/ David Clark, appears to be stretching it. I already struggled that Victoria had another non Grayson child, now she has another lover involved w/ David Clark, I think the plot is stretching a bit. My favorite parts Nolan against Graysons and Victoria’s black sharpie.

• Natalie says:

Yes I totally agree that the stuff about Victoria’s complicated past is totally stretching it.

• abz says:

Yeah every time I hear something about Victoria’s “complicated past”, I just roll my eyes and think to myself “Who cares any more!”.

• jerrired says:

I agree with everything you said, especially the Aiden part. Since Barry Sloane might be leaving soon, that’s why they might have stopped trying with his storylines.

• Mike says:

Let’s be honest, they never even started trying with Aiden’s storylines. The last two episodes have been the best material the actor has had all season. It’s no wonder he’s leaving.

• jerrired says:

That may be true (I completely agree) but he used to have a pretty big following of fans of the character. I don’t think he’s been even giving anything recently to even root about. He’s just kind of there at the moment.

• Sara says:

To be fair, it was established last year that Aiden’s dad was involved in the bombing plot. It just got ignored for most of this season.

18. Nosey says:

Wow, I did not realize Victoria was plotting for Fauxmily to over hear that conversation. Not sure what drove Victoria to trap Fauxmily all of a sudden. Still find it hard to believe no one has suspected Fauxmily since she was close to Fauxmanda. I mean as soon as Stevie saw Fauxmily as the bridesmaid in pics, red flags came up and she questioned her allegiance. I mean Fauxmily gave the eulogy at Fauxmanda’s funeral and the Grayson’s were there and they still did suspect the two maybe working together as close as they were. So it maybe crucial, Fauxmily said her father was David Clarke to Charlotte. Charlotte could very well relay this slip up to a Grayson.

19. Kim Moore says:

Still love the show as much as I did in the beginning. But, they must do something with these foreign characters. I can’t understand a word they say and have to rewind it over and over. It’s bad enough the American actors mumble as well.

• Lucy Holfelder says:

I agree. They all seem to whisper (except Victoria and Conrad) So much is missed. Emily especially talks between closed lips. (Try to enunciate a little better, people!)

20. maruion says:

Do wish that we could understand the players more even though they are some nice candy but way to hard to completely understand what they say and miss some of the plot.

21. Margaret Ferrell says:

Loved Revenge when it started but, now don’t watch it. I can’t stand Aiden or Jack. It was great when no one knew what Emily was up to and she had “charmed” Daniel into loving her and wanting revenge on his family. She even started to love Daniel. Now that is a story line I can watch–the rest of it is just too ridiculous.

22. I enjoy the show for the most part, but all the accents are disgusting! I can’t understand them most of the time. Even Aiden’s! I can’t stand it and he talks so low I have to turn up the volume just to hear him. He and Emily talk in whispers even when they’re in the house alone. Drives me nuts.
    But I keep watching in hopes that the Grayson’s get what’s coming to them.

23. Em says:

Nolan is the only good thing about this episode and the last scene was good too.Rest of it was plain,old and boring.

24. francie says:

I really love revenge don’t cancel it.