Glee Sneak Peek: Opening Night for Rachel -- Why the Worried Face?

Break a leg, Rachel Berry!

Glee‘s plucky young heroine finally makes her Broadway debut in the aptly titled “Opening Night” (April 22, 8/7c on Fox) and we’ve got your first-look photos.

RELATED | Chris Colfer Books Hot Sitcom Gig

The good news? Rachel (Lea Michele) has got plenty of support from her hometown friends, as Mercedes, Santana, Tina, Sam, Blaine and Kurt are all on hand for the milestone event.

The possibly not-so-good news? Rachel isn’t exactly the picture of confidence as Funny Girl‘s producer (Michael Lerner) speaks to her in her dressing room.

Click through the pics below — seven of ‘em from “Opening Night” and a bonus shot of Amber Riley’s Mercedes in red from the April 15 episode “Tested” — then hit the comments and share your thoughts!

1. ggny says:

I love how Amber Riley leaves wins DWTS returns and the show tries to act like she was a huge star of the Glee Club and was even close to as talented as Lea Michelle…She isnt

• Sandra says:

You must feel threatened on your fave’s behalf to post such a thing out of the blue.

• Sigh says:

LOL please shut up. Amber has a killer voice and she isn’t any less talented than Lea. They are both phenomenal singers and Glee was boring without Mercedes. I can’t wait for her and Rachel’s scenes. Also, it’s spelled Michele. If you want to be a stan, you should probably learn how to spell her name.

• ggny says:

Glee was boring without Mercedes? What has she ever done on Glee? She was a backround character 80% of the time

• Nunaya_Bidness says:

Amber Riley and Mercedes are so irrelevant, yet you are bothered enough to post about them both. Back to “How to be a better Troll” 101 for you.

• Downtown says:

Amber Riley was always a main character. It’s called being on a show where the writers don’t have a clue what they’re doing. With the characters. And,yes glee is boring without Mercedes fact!

• joncuriel says:

I agree, I mean I love Amber’s voice and Mercedes is great, but she will never match Rachel’s talent.

• Kenna says:

Its not Amber Riley and Lea Michele…keep that in mind. It’s Mercedes and Rachel. Given the history of the relationship/competition between the two CHARACTERS, it’s not that far fetched.

• ggny says:

Both the character and the actress arent even close Talent wise. I thought the Diva Off they had between the two character to see who the true star of the Glee club a few episode ago was a slap in the face to Lea and the Rachel character. Amber/Mercedes barely did anything for the show/glee club. Lets not start acting like she is some huge star now that she won DWTS

• Gunny says:

I’m a total Lea fan, but it’s difficult to compare the two because their styles are so different. Lea is a better actress/performer when compared to something more similar due to her Broadway experience. They are, without question, the best two singers on the show. It was so unreal to do those diva-off’s. All it really did was plant an element of self-doubt in the people competing which is the last thing you do with a performance choir. Really poor teaching, Mr. Schue.

• AngieD says:

When asked a couple of years ago, Lea said that she would most look forward to an album from Amber out of all of her co-stars.

• shouw says:

First of all the diva off was because both Mercedes and Rachel are successful in their own field. It was clearly said. And they both agreed with it in the bathroom scene.

Second, They’re both extremely talented in their own way. And why are people (or may I say Mercedes/Amber haters) suddenly bringing the actresses in this??

• Downtown says:

Amber was already a star. Nobody said she was a huge star. But,don’t worry. Once glee is over we’ll see what your fave. Is doing. Cause,Amber Riley will be winning. No matter how much you hate. How can see not win she has Scooter Braun behind her!

• Roojie says:

Why must you make it a competition? They are both friends they love each other, Lea cheered Amber on during DWTS and she describes her as one of her best friends. They are both talented in their own right. Rachel has alway been in the forefront of the show, I think it is important for GLEE to show the development of ALL of its characters. GLEE is a show that preaches tolerance and acceptance, and you are not being very worthy of calling yourself a fan of the show.

• ggny says:

Because the show did. Remember few episode ago Diva off to see who the real star of the Glee club was? There is no reason that should have even happened if she didnt leave and win DWTS it would have never had. It was spitting in the face of Lea imo

• Learn to separate fictional characters from real life people. Their characters have always been competitive from season one so that Diva Off should come as no surprise to you.

• Gunny says:

What made the diva-off’s dumb was having the club vote on popularity rather than any standard of singing. If they really wanted to know who was the best, they would bring in someone who knew how to judge or were at lease unbiased. That’s what disturbed me about these silly games. In band and choir, it is fairly common to challenge another person for a better position, but the competition is not a popularity vote. It’s based on scales and other measures of quality. Although they have similar ranges, I believe Lea has more control (better breath work) and the best tone. She rarely needs a run to reach to the top or bottom of her range. Amber often uses a run to reach those notes. Runs are great for certain songs, but the better singers can just hit the note. But, I would buy both of their albums. I used every vote I had on DWTS for Amber – she was amazing and deserves any new found fame.

I think Lea would be extremely disappointed to learn that any of her fans were making negative comments about any of her castmates. She is almost always the first to tweet a supportive comment about these friends.

• S. says:

I agree that the diva-off was dumb, but mainly because they got so nasty about it and the Rachel/Santana situation which helped stoke it was just idiotic. About runs, sometimes it’s stylistic. A lot of people identify it in their head as a demonstration of talent (they’re thinking in terms of Whitney, Mariah, Beyoncé) when it’s really not the be all end all. I don’t think the same sorts of runs suit Lea’s voice and she doesn’t have to do them. Amber’s not got inferior for doing runs to a note. It sounds like she likes doing them and for better or worse it’s vocally in style if you can do them to do so. Personally, I like a strong powerful clear voice being respected despite not doing all the runs. I think Harry Connick Jr does too on Idol and I suspect he’s a bit bummed he has to talk aspiring singers out of doing all the vocal gymnastics. Adele is someone that can really do either which is part of what makes her so incredible.

• Downtown says:

It’s a show….Learn real life from fiction. Amber is still better. Deal with it!

• Gunny says:

You had me all the way to tolerance and acceptance. Glee is limited here because there seems to be a message that it’s ok to bully as long as they are not gay. The way Sue and Santana unleashed their bitterness on everyone is wrong – it is bullying regardless of any humor.

Lea and Amber will both be successful in their genre. I loved Mercedes because, to me, she was really the only threat to Rachel’s talent and ability to carry the choir. It made it more interesting because they both have great voices. Unfortunately, it took a while for Mercedes to get serious about what she wanted to do outside of getting the lead role. It would have been fun to see her work as hard as Rachel to achieve her dream of a recording contract.

• Tamara says:

You’ll get a lot of hate for that comment lol but I know exactly what you mean- you’re not picking on Amber/Mercedes but rather the show for suddenly giving her this diva character and acting like she’s as good as Rachel. It’s very puzzling and unfortunately I don’t believe in it as much simply because Mercedes isn’t as talented or show stealing as Lea/Rachel. I’m NOT saying she isn’t a great singer but she lacks a certain something- heck I thought she would kill Natural Woman since it’s in her wheelhouse but it was a little blah? And I am the first person to appreciate a classic, rnb/soul singer but Lea just proves her MVP status on the show again and again when she just nails every solo and dominates every group song she’s in.

I wish the show would stop trying to appease the audience with like storylines involving taking Rachel down a peg or someone being proved better than her because at this point I feel she has justified why she is the star of the show. In season 1 when no one knew the cast and stuff I get it because it would’ve been annoying to see Rachel get everything when we hadn’t even grown to like her yet but by now let’s stop these predictable plot lines. Let Rachel have her moment and do nottt make Funny Girl a failure is what I’m trying to say lol. I hope people understand what I’m trying to say through my ramble, no disrespect to the other characters or anything!

• Gunny says:

Exactly. Although it is realistic that high school friends can resent the success of one of their classmates, the constant picking at Rachel is too much now. If she’s that hard to get along with, why are they still friends? The show just blows off those moments like they never happened. Kurt really surprises me – he knew how much Rachel wanted Funny Girl and now that she has it he thinks she should stay in school instead. More obvious of a lack of support came from the teacher though (Carmon). The not taking direction was more about not doing the correct assignment than anything Rachel was doing on FG. Rachel and Blaine defied her and that’s why the drama. In the entertainment industry, no one cares if you went to college and they both know that. These are just examples of how ridiculous they are writing these scripts for Rachel. Please don’t mess with FG – give Rachel a little break.

• Downtown says:

You’re right Mercedes isn’t as good as Rachel she’s better! This glee fandom really like RIB buck your head up. Lea might be lead. But,she ain’t the best.

• jag says:

worry much? its not real darling.

• Downtown says:

If you don’t get the **** out of here with this bull ****. You mad? Amber Riley is without a doubt the most vocally talented singer/vocalist on that show period. Amber doesn’t try to act like a huge star. She is get that right! But,worry about your fave and what she’s doing. Cause,regardless Amber will shine brighter than any hater.

2. Funny Girl says:

I am so excited for this episode! Man Lea is going to KILL it in that episode! I hope they let her sing FG stuff and it doesn’t become about everyone else but Rachel singing. I know there are at least 2 songs featuring other people. It’s also going to be somewhat bitter sweet with out Finn there to see her. :(

• Gunny says:

The show will find a way to make Rachel look bad – that has become SO predictable. Every show and just about every character finds a way to point out a behavior they don’t like.

3. Fannie Brice! says:

I don’t watch Glee that much any more, S4 Blam & the newbies killed my love for the show, but I will come back for this one! I am so excited for Rachel! I hope she will sing I’m The Greatest Star for at least one of the songs. Hope they let her do Funny Girl too! It’s been so long since I have been excited for Glee!

4. kd83954 says:

Aw I can’t wait! I also love the lil’ high school flashback (but jesus Chris Colfer does NOT look like season 1 Kurt). So happy to see the whole gang there supporting Rachel! Should be a fantastic episode!!

• Gunny says:

I liked his character better in the first two seasons where he had this sweet innocence about him. Now he just seems bitter all the time.

5. Maria says:

i’m excited to see Rachel Berry as Fanny Brice. i am a huge fan of Glee and Lea Michele. The NY episodes are getting better each week.

6. ugh says:

Uh, technically her Broadway debut would be at the start of previews, NOT opening night.

• Gunny says:

A minor detail for Glee. I already suspect that the reviews will suggest she has no foundation and should have stayed in school so Kurt and Carmon will be correct and Rachel will need to apologize. I would love one episode where no one feels the need to smack Rachel down.

7. karenb says:

Is that a robe that Lea is wearing??

8. Caroline says:

I hope they let Rachel shine in Funny Girl! If she bombs just for the sake of drama I will be giving up on Glee! There is more than enough drama with Rachel missing Finn and being nervous about her Broadway debut!

9. Caroline says:

I wish Glee had brought Puck back! He could have given Rachel roses and told her that he was telling her what Finn would have told her – “She’s got this”! Also, where is Schue? Rachel needs a Mr. Schue pep talk! Remember in S1 when Schue told Rachel he was her biggest and sometimes her only fan? Schue told Rachel she had more talent than any kid in Glee so he needs to be there! Her dads – where are they? Burt and Carol? It’s sad but I think RM is going to botch what could be and should be an amazing episode!

• Caroline says:

RM should never have cast a known and more expensive star like Jeff Goldblum to play Rachel’s dad! If he had used unknowns we could have seen more of Rachel’s dads!

• kd83954 says:

There’s rumors they’ll pop up. Somebody saw Jeff Goldblum on the Paramount lot with Joaquin Sedillo, Glee’s cinematographer…

• Gunny says:

Puck and Quinn, what a great idea. I think they would both be very supportive and would talk about Finn. They seem happy with their lives now so no need to bring Rachel down.

• Nicole says:

Matthew Morrison is supposed to be in the ep. Hopefully the show doesn’t mess it up and he actually gets a scene with Rachel. It makes the most sense for him to be there than anyone else, tbh.

10. Olita says:

How much time has passed between graduation and the all-NYC episodes? Why are they all wearing such heavy coats???

• Alex says:

In the previously on in “New, New York” they said it had been 6 months since Rachel had gotten the part. Given what’s was said th “Bash” looks like 4-5 weeks between NNY and “Opening Night”.

11. Aries says:

This episode will be fantastic. Can’t wait – this is what Glee has been building up to since the beginning! The NY focused episodes are so good, can’t wait to see what Season 6 will hold. Also – Santana is back : )

12. Babygate says:

Can anyone confirm if Santana is going to stay relegated to guest star status? Because if she is I can finally delete this trainwreck from my DVR. It just goes to show that you don’t know what you have until you lose it. I thought the new Lima kids were bad, but this new NY ensemble is unwatchable. The whole idea of Rachel landing a lead so fast is laughable. And as much as I like Mercedes, she has ZERO chemistry with Sam and watching them together is almost painful. NY worked with the original setup: Rachel, Kurt and Santana. Now it feels crowded and pointless. Well, whatever…. deaf ears and all that…

13. amelia rose says:

Wow, pic 2 from far away makes Lea look so much like Idina Menzel.

14. aunt_deen says:

It would be nice if Schue showed up for opening night.

15. Ethel says:

Rachel needs to get smacked down and realize the world does not revolve around her. She is a very small fish in a very large pond. This self-centered little biotch has to change her ways or she will become the DIVA to avoid at all costs