The Originals' Nathan Parsons on Hayley's Future With Jackson, the 'Explosive' Finale and More

The Originals Jackson HayleyWe’re exactly one week away from the return of The CW’s The Originals (April 15, 8/7c) — and just when you thought the stakes couldn’t get any higher in the Big Easy, enter “the original werewolves.”

RELATED | The Originals Pics: Klaus Gives Davina an ‘Important Gift,’ Genevieve Remains Shady

TVLine spoke with Nathan Parsons (aka Hayley’s were-fiancé Jackson) about what we can expect from those new wolves, Jackson’s blossoming relationship with Hayley and the rest of Season 1.

TVLINE | Even in its first season, The Originals is pretty complicated. How familiar were you with it when you joined?
I was familiar with the general mythology from The Vampire Diaries, because I’d met Julie [Plec] and a few of the executive producers when I read for a few parts. Actually, I read for one of the vampires back when The Originals was casting as a pilot. I kept myself up to date on the mythology, so when they called again for the part of Jackson, it wasn’t tough to catch up.

TVLINE | You were almost a vampire? Do you remember which one you read for?
I don’t, unfortunately. They actually don’t tell you the names when you go in. It’s all very secretive.

TVLINE | Let’s talk Hayley and Jackson. What’s really going on there?
Their relationship is complicated. Jackson has watched Hayley as a wolf for years, so he’s had a lot of time to get to know her. When the curse was broken and he finally got to talk to her in person, he’d built up an entire relationship in his head. So for him to just say, “Hey, I’m that wolf that’s been watching you and we’re supposed to be married,” that was a lot to throw at her at once. I think she was a little taken aback. Also, the reality is starting to set in for Jackson: Hayley is pregnant with Klaus’ child. Nothing ever goes the way you plan it.

The Originals Jackson HayleyTVLINE | Jackson seems to care about Hayley, but he also needs her for political reasons. How will he balance his emotions with his politics?
There’s a way, I think, to achieve both. You want the pack to be strong and you want Hayley to be the queen, but she also has a relationship with the vampires. I think Jackson will use that relationship to get back into the good graces of the original vampires. It’s a tough line to walk; you want the personal relationship, but you also need the political relationship.

TVLINE | Should we expect tension between Jackson and Elijah, Hayley’s two men?
I think so. Generally, vampires don’t like werewolves, and werewolves hate vampires. Every time I see one, I want to kill them. But Elijah’s relationship with Hayley does make things complicated. Plus, [the originals are] the ones in power. I don’t think the original vampires are as bad as Marcel was — Elijah seems like a much smarter leader — so maybe this is a relationship we can deal with, once we’ve gotten over that gut instinct.

TVLINE | We’ll also be meeting some of Klaus’ werewolf relatives soon. Will they get along with Jackson’s pack?
Well, we’re all wolves at the end of the day. I’m not sure how their interaction is going to go down, though. We’re starting to learn more about this Crescent pack, but we haven’t really examined the greater werewolf culture yet. We haven’t seen how they interact with the other packs, and I’m curious to see how that develops.

TVLINE | Did you ever think you’d be discussing “the greater werewolf culture” in your career?
[Laughs] You know, I can’t say that ever came up in acting class.

TVLINE | Generally speaking, where is the season headed as we approach the finale next month?
Well, we’ve met the original vampires, now we’re going to start to learn about the original werewolves and we also have some really old original witches on the show now. Basically, everyone is going to butt heads. They all want peace, but they all want it on their own terms. We’re starting to see all of it spiral out of control, as much as Klaus and Elijah are trying to keep it together. Their world is being ripped apart. I can’t wait for the season finale because, the way things are boiling up now, I know it’s going to be explosive.

Any thoughts on Hayley and Jackson’s relationship? Browse pics from the April 15 episode below, then drop a comment.

_

1. Kyle Chamley says:

No Claire, don’t care.

• chaouad says:

exactly what i was going to say ;)

• Delena says:

It’s not the end of the world Claire will be back. She is just taking a vacation to visit her family. Is it wrong for her to want to visit her family who she misses. I mean really she even said that she will be coming back. She is just visiting her family. So go ahead and stop watching the show just becuz one person left to visit their family who they missed.

• Morgan says:

Well said.

2. FireJuliePlec says:

The Originals aka a show about a baby and a character one likes. Seriously, just rename this show to The Hayley Baby Momma Dairies because that is all it has been from day one.

• FireJuliePlec says:

* a character no one likes. look at me, I write as well as Julie ;)

• Nate says:

Well Julie isn’t going anywhere. She just signed a like a 3 or 5 year contract, so get over yourself.

• Sara says:

People are allowed to have opinions. So instead of being rude about it and having to comment on how people are wrong for having one different than yours. If people don’t like Hayley or Julie Plec, it’s their right so stop telling people how to feel or ‘to get over yourself.’

• Ray says:

Except you don’t speak for everyone and some people do like Hayley just fine.

3. Daniel says:

the show has become quite repeative. I was glad that the ‘I want to be King’ storyline was over, but seems that every fraction is going to take over the French Quaters until the originals fight back and take back and then again and again. Also I don’t understand what’s so special about Hayley. Like first they made her the mother of the magical plothole baby then the last werewolf princess and now she suddenly is the leader/Queen? when did we the process of her development. Her growing in this role? yep, we didn’t it just the writers forcefully wanting to make her special and its so bad written that it make me laugh

4. Delena says:

Don’t complain about the show or say it’s badly written if you don’t like

5. Morgan says:

Klaus is not trying to keep “it” together. Klaus would watch it all fall down around Elijah and smirk.

6. Delena says:

Don’t complain about the show or say it’s badly written if you don’t like one character. That’s not fair to the cast and not fair to the fans who like the character. Yes you are allowed to have your own opinion but don’t say it’s bad writing just becuz they are focusing on one character. They seem to be going somewhere with it and you just need to watch to find out what is gonna happen next

• Kate says:

Hayley has been poorly written since she started on TVD and on TO, they are reconning her history and by giving her a sad backstory doesn’t mean people will start liking her. Elijah and Klaus have been so out of character since she’s been involved in their lives and .. where are they taking this? To make her into something she’s not.

7. Dominique says:

i absolutely adore nathan, have ever since he appeared on general hospital, so it’s good to see him in other roles! even though i’m not thrilled about some the show’s recent decisions, i’m still excited about the upcoming episodes, can’t wait to see what’s going to happen.

8. Kar says:

Love him more than Marcelle

9. Daniel says:

excuse you. it is bad written! It started with the baby that doesn’t even make sense. also please enlighten me about hayley’s development. when did she ever fight/struggle/suffer for her role as Queen? she didn’t, the writers just wanted to make her a special snowflake instead of giving her character development and seeing her slowly become the leader.

• Nate says:

When the hell did Hayley become queen? Oh wait NEVER. She’s there to stay get the hell over yourself and don’t watch.

10. Mae Martin says:

Is it true Nina Dobrev will be on The Originals in season 2? Will Nina be playing a new character?

11. wanderingbelle says:

This show is absolutely miserable. It started off so well, but the characters all feel so vague, underdeveloped, and frankly, unlikeable. Klaus used to be SO awesome on TVD, but he’s just a bland and uncompelling scenery-chewer at this point. Elijah is great and Marcel is blandly likeable, but Hayley (seriously, why are they trying so hard to make her super duper special?) and the other supporting characters are god-awful. They need another lead character (preferably female) to make me even remotely interested in this family or this show again.

12. Tanya says:

I don’t like the show anymore, every character has become so dull and it has become even worse after Rebekah left. I can’t understand why they want to make hayley so damn special.

13. Dmav says:

Personally, I don’t get the Hayley hate and her storyline. I may not be the biggest Plec fan after her demolition of the Vampire Diaries but I am wiilling to see where this goes considering it is only the first season. I do agree about Claire, they really need her.

14. Francine says:

Haley was awful on TVD, but I don’t mind her at all on The Originals. She doesn’t get an excessive amount of screen time so I have no idea why people say the show is all about her. I will say that the feuding is getting old- it seems to be repeating itself and I don’t want Elijah to end up like Klaus. The show badly needs a female lead though since Claire is gone (if only for a little bit).

15. kristine says:

Yes, it is hard to get excited about this show anymore. I really liked the Papa Tunde storyline and the resurrected witches since it gave the Originals a formidable foe (as opposed to Marcel who I always felt they could have vanquished easily), but when it turned into the Originals fighting amongst themselves and Claire ultimately leaving – that completely took the wind out of my sails. I am still going to give it a chance, but having these factions continuously wrestle over New Orleans seems somewhat dull and repetitive. I also agree that the character of Klaus, who I found so intriguing in TVD, has lost his luster for me. I think it was his rapport with the other TVD characters that made him so entertaining before. I am not really sure. As for Hayley, I don’t feel much of anything for her character one way or the other. Same goes for Cami- I am just indifferent. I will still try and ride it out to the season finale though and see what happens.

16. Naazneen says:

Super excited about the finale. The promo for Tuesday’s episode looks insane. I think the final 5 episodes are going to ruin all the things. Cant wait.

17. somethingsomething says:

I have to agree with most of the people on here; that being that Hayley (as a character) is truly unremarkable. I don’t think that she is the ideal character for a “Queen”. I have stopped watching TVD, primarily because I had enough of seeing Elana die. I hope that with Rebekah gone that the producers bring in a decent lead female character. At the moment it is really lacking that dominant female role. I think introducing Caroline into the story line would be brilliant.

• ES says:

except caroline is only an immature, flip-flopping, all things teen-obsessed and boy obsessed silly girl teen queen. that’s not exactly the kind of queen the originals had in mind. at least hayley is strong, sacrifices to be leader, is a lot more mature, a mother, has good reasons for being a fighter and yes, a real queen. caroline is only obsessed with fitting in, going along with the crowd, teen problems, and which boy she can hook up with next.