Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Recap: Coulson and the Team Winter Soldier On....

CLARK GREGG, CHLOE BENNET, IAIN DE CAESTECKERABC’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. this Tuesday night took the ball from Captain America, continuing the shocking story set up on the big screen and letting it wreak havoc with Coulson and his team, as they questioned loyalties every step of the way. In the end, who could be trusted?

RELATED | Keep or Cut? Vote on the Fate of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and 27 Other ‘Bubble’ Shows

Well, as promised/warned, this episode was a full-on follow-up to Winter Soldier,  running parallel to the movie’s narrative up until the very end. And it was pretty impressive in that respect, as seemingly unrelated threads were revealed to be attached to one element or another of the Hydra infiltration. So even as pretty big bombs were dropped — May’s secret hard line was to keep Director Fury (R.I.P.-ish) apprised on Coulson’s condition, meaning that she has known the 411 on his “death” all along (and in fact basically assembled his eventual team) — the bigger picture concerned Hydra’s takeover of S.H.I.E.L.D., starting with the “top brass.”

Was Hand part of the scheme? Actually, no. Though a series of snippet’s pointed us in that direction, a scene where she captured and confronted Simmons and Triplett at the Hub — then asked them to swear undying loyalty to Hydra — proved to be just a test, expanding her circle of trust by two. The bad news: Hand says that Coulson is Hydra, something Simmons is aghast to consider.

RELATED | Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Finale Casting News: [Spoiler] Will Return

Meanwhile on the Bus, there’s no steering this high-tech ship, which is under Hydra’s control, so all Coulson, Ward, Skye, Fitz, Garrett and a shackled May can do is brave for whatever awaits them at the Hub. Using a “mouse hole” gizmo that Fitz designed (but was never distributed wide, though it got much use in Winter Soldier), the group escapes through the belly of the plane, then uses the old Han/Luke/Wookie trick to slip inside. Ward and Skye peel off to hack (OK, blow up) the controls that are crippling the Bus. When the going gets tough, Ward opens up to Skye, expressing his wish to “get a drink” should they somehow survive this. Skye gives him some proper lip, about the whole May thing and all, but in the end says yes — and then really gives him some lip, a kiss before possibly dying. (“Why the hell not?” she argues.) It’s all for naught, though, as Ward whales on the multiple goons surrounding them.

Unaware that Hand is a friendly, Coulson and Garrett debate their next play, with the latter anxious to get the drop on her and kill her in cold blood. In making his case, Garrett then stumbles into the age-old blunder and reveals something he couldn’t possibly have known, that Coulson saw the Girl in the Flowered Dress in the machine. D’oh! Garrett aka The Clairvoyant is then set to lay waste to Coulson, Fitz and May when Skye’s bombs start ka-booming, dimming the lights in time for a big fight. With more than a little thanks to some bang-bang and then a helpful assist from Fitz, the good guys emerge victorious, then hand Garrett over to… well, Hand, who later reports that “Captain America has defeated the helicarriers at Triskelion.” Indeed.

With Garrett tagged for a room in the Icebox, Ward quite conspicuously requests to be the one to “turn the key” on his onetime S.O.’s cell door — and Coulson, as I did, cast a wary eye as Ward marched off with his mentor. And sure ’nuff, when hand invited Ward to kill the right clairvoyant this time, he instead turned his gun on the two guards and then Hand herself, trading a knowing nod with Garrett. Is Ward in fact Hydra and/or bad, or is this part of some deep-cover assignment cooked up by him and Coulson?

As the hour ends, with the Bus about to pull away, Coulson invites May along, even though he now considers her not a “friend” but merely “an ally, and we need all we can get.” His plan for now: survive.

VIDEO | Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Cast: Captain America 2′s Impact on ABC Series Will ‘Blow Your Mind’

What did you think of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’s “It’s all connected” riff on the Captain America movie? And if you hadn’t gotten to the Cineplex yet, did you feel spoiled?

1. StanSJ says:

This was one complete OMG episode. This was one of the best episodes of the season. I made sure i saw Captain American The Winter Soldier before i watched tonight episode and the tie in was perfect. HYDRA is at large. I wanted Hand to be HYDRA so bad, but Garret wasnt a bad idea either. I was so shocked Ward turned on everyone. I knew Garret would get away just didnt think it would b because of Ward.

• Delirious says:

As I said in the ratings article, I strongly recommend that no-one watches this episode (or the rest of the season) until they have watched the movie. Huge tie-in, huge consequences (for both the movies and the show), and huge spoilers.

And agree with Ward being the biggest WTF moment, right after Garrett. Now I wonder if they’ll incorporate the Clairvoyant into Avengers Age of Ultron, since he seems to be the only “top brass” Hydra guy to have walked away unscathed (or killed), not counting [something from the movie, with "a chitauri element" as a clue regarding what I'm referring to]. But if they manage to tie the MCU with the show, and connect Hydra with Ultron, it could be MASSIVE.

2. Fernando says:

An amazing episode and proof why this show should be renew. I’m upset about ward but hey it brings a new layer to his character if he really is bad. The only thing that brothers me is that when it comes to combat/fighting Fitz and Simmons can never defend themselves if the show gets renew they should be train to defend themselves.

• Christina says:

They seem to be making an effort to develop them. I mean, Fitz just killed someone in this episode, which seems like a big deal for his character.
      On another Fitz note, can we just talk about the fact that Garrett wants him alive? Really hoping that comes back into play later this season. Fitzsimmons stuff is always good!

• Nicotine says:

Fitz has been taking steps – going on dangerous missions with Ward, shooting someone in this episode and even being willing to jump out of the plane to rescue Simmons. He’s a geek, but he’s at least willing to be a hero. I can respect that.

• Aimee says:

And lets not forget the episode where Simmons jumped on a grenade to save the team. OK, turns out it wasn’t actually a grenade but she thought it was.

• Nikki says:

I want Simmons to be Hydra…I’ve decided Ward’s in undercover, and /she’s/ the Hydra mole in the group. It makes sense; she wasn’t on the plane, she wants to figure out what the stuff that saved Coulson and Skye was, just like the Clairvoyant, and she didn’t go against Hand when they were testing her and Tripplett. I think Garret knew Trip had a crush on her and word protect her, that’s why he sent him along when she went to the Hub.

• Janny says:

YES!! I am sure there is something up with her. When someone told her she was a bad liar, her reply? A very curt ‘I’m getting better at it’? Come on!! She’s hiding something… I hate that idea, cause I LOVE Gemma, but man, there’s something up with her.

• Nikki says:

Oh, I adore her and her with Fitz is great, but I’m imagining it’s something a lot less evil and more “driven by the love of science”. Which is /sorta/ redeeming.

3. SJ says:

I’m hoping Ward really is evil, but I’m betting he was brainwashed.

• reboot2099 says:

Yeah, I really wish Ward is evil. His character has been boring all season until now. If he was truly evil, he’d make a better villain than he is a good guy.

But, like you, I think this is either brainwashing (or he has an implant like Deathlock) or it’s only a ruse. And I’d be mad if that was the case. It would be a cop-out to the shocking ending (I saw it coming last week, but still didn’t think it would happen)

And while I like Garrett as a villain too, I am kind of disappointed he is. A little because I had seen it coming too, but mostly because Paxton is the best actor by far on this show and the show needs him (or someone like him). He is the best thing that came to the show so far. He would have been great as a regular.

Also, while I really liked the episode and the plan of the season coming together, I didn’t forgive the showrunners for blaming us viewers because we thought the beginning of the season until now was bad. Having a plan doesn’t excuse having bad stories, scripts or boring characters. I hope it stays on course though, cause that was 100 times better.

• ? says:

This is the first interesting thing about Ward or that he’s done all season. If he isn’t really evil, it will be really weak.

• Dmav says:

No, the producers said in an interview tonight that Ward was always going to be evil and laid out the clues from the past episodes. It isn’t a fake out.

• reboot2099 says:

That’s a really good news then! If it isn’t a fake out, my respect for the show just went up a notch :) Unless the clues were that he somehow got an implant and is being controlled…

Now there are 2 ways they could still disappoint me by going to the obvious: Skye gets through to him and he changes back to the guys. Or, not related to Ward but in the same vein, Deathlock saw his son and that’s how he gets to fight his programming (he’s bound to get good again and I hope he joins the team, but please, let not get there the sappy way!). If neither happens, I will like the show a lot more :)

• jmmf91 says:

Brett Dalton said he tough they were gonna kill him but they just made him a bad guy, and he said it would be interesting to play a new character for the next seasons (if they happen). I think he wound’t come out and say that if the character was gonna die, i mean it would be stupid to give that interview, and if they are not gonna kill him he will probably go back, hes not main villain material, hes no clairvoyant. If he is was not brainwashed he will be divided between Garrett and Coulson and Skye will probably break that tie.

• Aimee says:

If Ward really *IS* bad then I will start watching this show again. It would be the first interesting thing they have done. Sadly, I think it is all a ruse.

• Jax says:

Yes but in that same interview they said that we have to remember what Hydra is capable of doing to your mind. Which means that he could still be brainwashed (that’s what I’m betting my money on.)

• MaryLou says:

I personally think the whole thing is a setup for Ward to go into deep undercover. I think that Hand and her crew were in on it, and that they are not dead. It seemed all too convenient that he would suddenly decided to go with them without Coulson saying something further, and Coulson did have a knowing look in his eyes when they left. Not only that, I believe him when he said he was protecting Skye, he does have feelings for her, and I seriously doubt that deserting her and his friends that easily was a part of it.

• gdv says:

I assumed this as well, especially since Garret was talking about “one time when he was deep undercover” in the background. Plus there was that long look back at Coulson when Ward and the rest of the other team were walking Garret to the airplane. It makes sense that Coulson put Ward up to going deep undecover to infiltrate Hydra.

• cfho says:

I think ward shot hand with the same stuff banner invent that was shown in the cap movie. It would make sense as to why ward chambered one round

4. Drew says:

For sure Ward is undercover, either under Hand’s direction or Couldn’t. Notice how Hand was not shot in the head? Yup. Deep cover assignment to gain Garrett’s trust and learn more about Hydra.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Yep — the ol’ “head shot/head shot/torso shot” is always suspect.

• Alichat says:

I thought him shooting her in the stomach was suspect as well. Plus when they did that close up of her hand coming back from the commercial break, I thought it was telling we didn’t see her face. She fell with her face hidden.

• Indeed. Plus, when it comes to Superheroes there’s one rule always applies, They ain’t dead until they’re seen and dead. (And preferably cremated. In the presence of the heroes. And even then its suspect.)

• JohnD says:

Yeah, but three in the floor? That’s harsh. Plus, he still totally killed those guards!

• I thought the first shot to the stomach for Hand was karmic payback for Skye (even though she ultimately wasn’t responsible). Would Coulson really condone killing the two guards, who were shot in the head?

• John NYC says:

But when it’s followed by three more into her on the ground? Unless she’s benefitted from some of that serum (a seniority perk?) and can regenerate…..

• Drew says:

Tried to say under Coulson’s direction, came out “Couldn’t”. Go figure!

• Nikki says:

Oh I certainly hope so because I love Ward and I can’t stand the thought he’s gone dark side.

• Eric Holliman says:

I REALLY THINK WARD IS WORKING WITH COLSON ON THIS. HE’S GOING UNDERCOVER TO GAIN GARRETT’S TRUST SO HE CAN FIND OUT WHO THE REST OF THE HYDRA AGENTS ARE. I COULD BE WRONG BUT IT MAKES SENSE TO ME.

• Dennis says:

didn’t he shoot her twice? once in the torso and once while she was on the ground

• Evil Queen says:

3 times actually , once in the torso and 2 more when she’s on the ground. I really hope Ward is evil

• Mary says:

Yeah I want Triplett to be part of the team instead of him.

• Christina says:

No thank you! Tripletts got a thing for Jemma, and I can’t have that!

• mangolovenet says:

Agreed! I find Triplett much more interesting in the few episodes he’s been in. The actor has more presence on the screen for me. I’m ready for Ward to be evil. At least, it’ll bring a needed dimension to his boring character.

• jmmf91 says:

They can have both, they need all the allies they can get, Coulson said that. It maked no sense to trade the characters at this point i think, but they can add.

• Becky says:

@Christina – Wow, I thought I was the only one who felt that way. No Triplett and Jemma please!

5. sladewilson says:

Best episode so far. I’m just hoping Coulson and May can repair their friendship…

6. Nikki says:

I like how they started the episode with “Don’t Fear The Reaper”. How fitting for the entire episode! I also thought there was an eerie correlation between Ward’s behaviour at the end and that of the brainwashed Bucky. They both had the same dead eyes and cold mannerisms.

• Tamim says:

Ward also has all those problems because of his family – intense fear and abuse from his brother that gives him flashbacks and stuff – as “strong” as he is he might be a good candidate for brainwashing since he already has issues

7. Kat says:

i’m still trying to digest everything that happened in the episode. i had a feeling about garrett last week, but i didn’t see the twist with ward coming until he absolutely insisted on accompanying them to the fridge. there has to be a deeper story there…garrett seemed surprised. anyway, fantastic episode, but i need to go take something for the headache it gave me.

8. Amy says:

I haven’t been a fan of Ward since Day One (partly because I think the acting is very wooden), so if him being Hydra means they are carving a path for his eventual exit, then I am 100% on board with this twist. It makes the character a zillion times more interesting and gives him a big arc before his sure-to-be grand exit (of course, this is complete speculation on my part).

• Nicotine says:

Yeah, notice how they made reference to him being ‘boring’ at first, only for Skye to tell him to define the word boring. Well, he’s not so boring now, is he? That might’ve been a nudge to us fans who have thought that from the beginning.

9. ANON R says:

This show is giving me trust issues.

10. legalchef says:

Oh. Em. Gee. That’s really all I can say right now.

11. Jamie says:

I’m on the fence about Ward, he could be all-hail hydra, could still be on Team Coulson, or could be under duress. They spent a lot of time showing us close-ups of his eyes, does he have an implant too?

I’m more curious about what the Garret revelation means about Triplett though. I’d like to think he’s trustworthy but at this point everyone looks suspicious. Plus Trip ‘knew what buttons to push’ when talking with Ward in the last episode and seems softly interested in finding out what Simmons knows about Skye’s blood.

• Christina says:

This is actually a great theory. Triplett turning out to be another mile would be great.

• Ric Fule says:

During the “silence” scene after Garrett was taken captive, you can see that Triplett was saying, “I TRUSTED you!” Of course, that COULD be to throw everyone off-guard.

12. lariet50 says:

I actually want Ward to be evil, because he’s annoying and I want someone to shoot him.

13. Emily says:

Have to say I’m pretty impressed with how well the show handled the twist, looking back, clearly they came I to the show with the idea of treading water until the captain America movie came out, which is possibly why it sometimes kinda sucked, but am very intrigued about what’s going to happen next!
    Also we don’t believe that Hand is really dead right? I mean first rule of these kind of shows, until someone definitely says she is dead, I won’t believe it (also she is super awesome, and I really have grown to like her character)

• Fitz could have worked up an Icer that mimicked death. I dunno about the guards, but Hand could have been Iced and used blood squibs. I don’t think she’s dead. I hope she’s not dead. Now Coulson is the de facto Director of SHIELD.

• I think that is were Maria Hill will become important for Season 2, as she will become the Director of SHIELD.

• Jimbo says:

Whedon shows don’t have an overabundance of attachment to every character.

• Ric Fule says:

My thoughts exactly! I posted almost the same thing on another recap page:

“Did you actually see the “Bullets” EXIT the guards? Yes, they were shot. But there could be an explanation for that: Icers with blood, or imitation blood, as the case might be, in the impact zone.

Ward shoots the two guards, making it seem like they were killed, with the two special Icer bullets he had. The Icers, of course, only knock them out, not kill them. Then, he shoots Hand with normal bullets, but only non-lethally.

Why else would Hand, who seems to be a by-the-book type of agent, ask Ward to kill in cold blood? Unless it was to get Ward into deep cover and give him a reason to draw his gun without being taken out by the guards. Garrett’s monologue at the end about the deep undercover attack he took part in could be hinting at WARD playing that role now.

Of course, Ward actually COULD be Hydra. I guess we’ll find out more next week.”

14. Ryan says:

Best episode of the show, by far.
    Loved every moment of it.
    After TWS and this, besides the team on the Bus, I have no idea who to trust. Even they are suspect to a certain degree; except Coulson, that is.

Oh, and Wookiee has two e’s, or you could call him Chewie/Chewbacca. ;)

15. tv2day says:

It took them 20 episodes to finally go from sat morning cartoon to a prime time TV show. They finally got dark n dirty. I still don’t know the traitor’s name who is costarring all year long but at least they can bump off his stale n boring character. Kill off the sky chick n one of the nerds and they may have better writing for season 2

16. James D says:

sweet sassafras that was fantastic. both reveals were really well done. so is Ward Hydra or was he tagged with that eye thing like Deathlok. this show just kicked it up to 11 and i love it. can’t wait for the next episode. even the doubters of this show have to rethink it now.

17. KCC says:

Was I the only one who was shipping Ward and May? They have so much chemistry. Ward and Skye was just so predictable and boring.

• Becky says:

I wasn’t really shipping them but I did like them together because 1) it gave them a chance to slowly explore May’s guarded feelings and 2) it meant no Ward and Sky.

18. Sara says:

So, I am assuming that Ward still has that hard drive back-up thing Skye made and then gave him for safe keeping? That can’t possibly end well.

• legalchef says:

Oh crap you are right! That’s the only reason they would have made a point of having a scene in which Skye gives it to him.

• tyranthraxus says:

Dont you find it interesting how almost everyone forgot about this because of the end scene. Hes got the only copy of all their data AND hes on Team Hydra.

• Tracy says:

maybe he does still have it but he doesn’t give it to Garrett because it would put skye in danger….

• Alichat says:

I was just thinking the same thing. Does he still have the hard drive backup? If he does and it’s not a bogus drive, then I’m leaning toward him being legit Hydra. If not, then I’m thinking deep cover assignment.

• jmmf91 says:

I think he has it, but why didnt he just give to Garrett after shooting all those people, i meanm its something kind off important…

19. The Kaibosh says:

Wow. Just, wow. What can I say that hasn’t already been said. Fantastic episode. I can understand if they couldn’t for copyright purposes but it would have been cool to have the actual “Attention SHIELD agents, this is Steve Rogers…SHIELD has been taken over by HYDRA…Alexander Pierce is their leader…the price of freedom is high but its a price I’m willing to pay” speech from the movie play through the loudspeakers in the HUB as it was happening.

• spencer beckett says:

I don’t think it was copyright reasons why they didn’t do that (since they said that captain America has defeated the helicarriers at the triskelion, THAT would be something that would’ve been closely guarded the most since it pretty much spoils the ending of CA2) I think the reason they didn’t play that is b/c captain America announces that at the Triskelion, and this episode is happening at the HUB. I mean, at this point they still think Fury is dead.

20. Juan says:

That endings was shocking. Like I couldn’t deal

21. Dj says:

I have a hard time seeing Ward as a double agent. Garrett trained Ward and were pretty clhe should know

• Dj says:

Garrett trained Ward and they were pretty close. If Ward was Hydra Garrett should know Garrett didn’t seem too surprised by what Ward did.

• spencer beckett says:

By that logic, since Garret wasn’t surprised that means he knew Ward was Hydra. Though I’m hoping that’s not the case :(

22. majamababe says:

Saw Winter Soldier by accident over the weekend. Glad I did. Great episode and good tie-in with the movie.

23. Para says:

Since there is not a Mindy Project recap, —- I am sad that Mindy and Danny broke up!!

• Katie Hart says:

Seriously? I wait to read these recaps until after I watch the episode so I won’t get spoiled, and you have to spoil an episode of a completely different show? RUDE.

• Para says:

Oh I am sorry… Just so sad….

• JLK says:

How about a little patience for a Mindy article? We’re here to read about the SHIELD episode not to get spoiled with no warning about a different show. If you really can’t refrain from going off topic, at least be courteous enough to make broad vague statements instead of blurting out what happened without any warning.

24. I loved the ep, the show has gotten really, really good since the beginning and for once Skye wasn’t unbearable but I rolled my eyes at the thought of Ward coming on to her then and there. Too weird. He HAS to brainwashed, the wrap-up with Garrett babbling away about some mission,ward just sat there, staring at nothing as if in a trance. I like Triplett. He makes a good fit with the team.

25. Katie Hart says:

I’ve known since he shot the fake Clairvoyant that something was up/wrong with Ward. And if he isn’t brainwashed, I’m betting the “she” that he really cares about is Raina.

• Oh, wow, excellent point!

• jmmf91 says:

after that closet scene? cmon they gave us like 5 minutes of that in the middle of the battle, the “she” gotta be Skye.

• Dmav says:

No, I don’t think so, the producers clearly state that Ward is the bad guy and all of his actions in the preceding episodes including coming on to Skye were carefully thought out. This has been the plan from day one, quite an interesting twist.

• jmmf91 says:

They said they planned for him to be bad, doesnt mean hes gonna stay that way. I think. Raina is probably gonna die during this season.

26. Mary says:

I don’t know if I feel spoiled on the movie or not.

• Badpenny says:

I don’t think there’s any reason to feel spoiled on the movie. It’s not like anyone was going to believe that Cap didn’t succeed at his overall objectives in the movie. You don’t go and see a superhero movie to watch the hero fail; and every preview let you know that SHIELD was having issues.

• Lisa London says:

I think that finding out that Hydra had infiltrated SHIELD on AoSHIELD instead of Captain American is a massive spoiler since it was one of the biggest twists in the movie. I’m really glad I watch the film before this episode. Still, Winter Soldier is an excellent film and you’ll enjoy it regardless.

27. Nicole says:

Holy crap! My fingers are numb from the constant biting of my nails. Interesting twist with ward. I kept checking the time because I didn’t want it to end, and I knew it was nearly done. When Fitz started crying, I was right there with bim. Poor Fitz! Never do that to him again.

28. Rick Katze says:

Echoing previous comments, the episode was GR-E-AT.

But I’m still not sure who I trust. Not yet convinced Ward is the bad guy. Everyone in the crew seemed to do something positive to stop HYDRA. The question is: “Who was faking it?”

Haven’t rewatched it yet but my initial impression was that Ward seemed out-of-phase(drugged?) when he shot Hand et al.

I don’t expect a clear answer until the final episode of the season. Bread crumbs, yes.

And while I did not like the scheduling of the episodes or the long break, I can now see why they had to stretch it out to coincide with the movie.

Now if they would only change the time to avoid NCIS. I think their ratings would grow to where the show should be.

• Rick Katze says:

Supplementing my previous post, I’ve decided to eliminate May as the infiltrator.

She was the one who got Sky thrown off the bus when Coulsen was kidnapped after Hand asked for her opinion strengthening, rather weakening, the likelihood of her tracking Coulsen. On the bus, she could have been kept under control. Off the bus was to the disadvantage of Hydra.

29. spencer beckett says:

An interview with the creators of shield that just posted on tvguide.com confirms that Ward was a bad guy/villain from the beginning :( this makes me sad :(

• Superhero Complex says:

TRUST NO ONE! :|

• Becky says:

That rules out him going undercover but it still doesn’t mean he isn’t brainwashed. I would actually be pleasantly surprised if he really is honest to god evil with no tricks or take backs but I’m not holding my breath. I’ll believe it if/when they kill him off.

• Jax says:

Yes but they also mention that the enemy is Hydra who is well known for messing with people’s minds. The plan may have been that Ward was “evil” from the beginning but it is probably because he was brainwashed and I’m betting that he will eventually be caught and de-programmed. Kind of similar to what happened to Hawkeye in the first Avengers movie (or to Natasha Romanov for that matter).

30. May said she put the team together which includes ward so unless she’s hydra and I don’t think she is cause fury wouldn’t have trusted her among other things something is up with the whole situation

31. Jess says:

It would be a better twist if Ward actually was Hydra, but after that scene with Skye, he’s for sure working undercover to infiltrate Hydra. AKA doing what Hydra did with Shield but in reverse.

32. Sherri says:

I am hoping that this will turn out like the movie The Sting, and that Hand and the guards aren’t really dead.

• Spencer Becket says:

The guards got shot in the head…there’s really no coming back from that. I know others are arguing that Hand could still be alive since she was shot in the chest…but she was also shot three more times after that when she was already on the ground. One of those might be a headshot. As much I want Ward to not actually be evil, it’s pretty safe to assume that the two guards are definitely dead and that Hand is most likely dead.

33. Kasper says:

Something nobody else seems to mention – both Garrett, Ward and Triplett seems to have the exact same knife. I don’t know if that’s a standard S.H.I.E.L.D. thing (as nobody else showcased an identical knife to those threes) or if it’s a clue to Triplett also being a part of HYDRA, but all three people had that knife and we got a close-up of each persons knife. Wards was on the ground, Triplett gave his to Simmons and Garrett did… something I can’t quite remember with it.

• Ryan says:

Kind of similar to the winter soldier’s knife if I remember..ahhhh conspiracy amoung conspiracy.

• Christina says:

Good spot! It’ll be interesting to see if that comes up again.

• JLK says:

Interesting. I’ve been thinking Triplett is HYDRA too…and that may be the clue.

• Kim says:

The knife thing caught my eyes thing. Bucky/Winter Solider was knife-y. And his eyes were very much the same as Bucky. There were just a lot of little things that seemed like they were mimicking Winter Solider/Bucky and the everything/its all connected- thing. Hydra wouldn’t just have one type of solider like that. Hydra was all about making another super solider and they didn’t just do one or two trials. And Ward’s childhood seemed kinda’ old fashioned.

• Power Born says:

Held it to Caulson. Excellent point!

34. Ryan says:

I thought it was a nice correlation between Peirce and Garret. Peirce being a friend to Fury for life turning out to be Hydra and Garret being a friend to Coulson for life also being Hyrda. Now that ALL Shield secrets are out now though because of what Black Widow did I am assuming they will finally show more about the blue alien and Coulson’s full recovery story. Still a little disappointed the Clairvoyant was not Arnim Zola. Mostly because of all the computer usage and that claims of him seeing the future. Which his algorithm did.

35. Kalee says:

Finally! A great episode! Just please make the next season a lot shorter. This episode was not worth all the countless others to slog through.

Wouldn’t be too shocked if Ward got killed and replaced by Garrett’s partner by next season. Diversity!

36. Danna says:

I don t think that Ward is bad, he must be redeemed somehow. If Ward is no longer on the team May would be the only field/combat person left and that’s just boring. I agree ab the acting being wooden but than again none of the actors are that great and IMO Greg is not leading man material. I’ve grown to like the characters as they are so I hope the team stays intact.

• jmmf91 says:

Touché, Agree 100%.

• Maraina Kasey says:

I agree with this. I like all of the characters and although they aren’t the greatest actors in the world, they aren’t bad either. They play their prespective roles well. People keep saying that Ward is too wooden, but his character is suppose to be stiff and rigid. Garrett made a comment a few episodes ago that Skye softened him up a bit and I think we saw a little of that. I really don’t want him to be evil, cause they need him on the bus.

37. Alicia says:

I would only want Ward to be bad if he kills Skye and himself, but I have a feeling that he is undercover as shown by the nod that Coulson gives him before they load Garrett onto the plane. I kind of totally rolled my eyes at Ward/Skye in the closet and I think them having a two minute conversation about feelings, talking, and getting a drink and then the kiss kind of gave away the fact that he was evil because there was no way that the 12 guys outside didn’t hear them. I think it would be interesting if Ward was evil to have him try to turn back to the good side and struggling with it.

38. Ariel says:

Love the show! But remember that tool to use to cut through the bottom of the plane? It’s called it a mouse hole (if I remember right) whatever that tool. Anyway he said he submitted the tool but that it had never been put out in the field. However that’s the tool that Nick fury used to escape from the Winter soldier, and agent Hill used it to break Widow and the falcon out. Just thought that little tie in was cool! Oh yeah the stuff Nick Fery used after his arm got broken and he was getting shot at, I bet you anything that’s the same stuff they used to save Colsons life. It regenerated his body so it would heal faster.

• Lesly says:

Actually honey, the computer in the truck called it “a sedative”
      Which is exactly the procedure when you fracture ribs or areas around the sternum. You apply a sedative, because otherwise the injuries might strain on your breathing capabilities.

• reboot2099 says:

I think she means the tool Fury used to dig a hole in the ground when his truck crashed, not when he injected himself with sedative…

39. Pix says:

Great episode, AoS is finally able to show is its true colors and I’m loving them!
    I think Ward is an actual traitor, a) he killed three agents, including Hand; b) Garrett visibly expected him to do that, which means he didn’t make a sudden decision, but had worked for Hydra all along, and thank god for that! I would’ve preferred both him and Skye to just drop dead and never be mentioned again after the ridiculous closet scene (not only was it a generic ‘let’s discuss our relationship in the middle of an important battle’, it was also a hiccup in the pacing of an otherwise excellently paced piece of tv), but then I started hoping for him to defect, so at least I got this much. Obviously, we’re still going to get a ton of relationship angst nobody cares about from those two, but I like that Garrett ended up free and, presumably, in possession of important information from the Bus, that ups the stakes nicely.
    For some reason I was sure for the most part of the episode the traitor would be Simmons – two out of three times someone made a notion on how friendly and cuddly the sleeper agents would be, they were talking to her explicitly innocent face. Well, maybe another time ;)

40. kirads09 says:

Could Ward either be under the influence of something or SOMEONE? (Lorelei still?) His reaction at the end was – out of it to me. Or could it be that he is actually under cover – had to do what he did to show faux loyalty to HYDRA & Garrett – but is infiltrating them from within to take them down? Hard to believe Ward would do that so those are my running theories right now. Note: I have not seen Winter Soldier yet. So don’t have that point of reference.

41. partisan says:

What AOS is trying is bold, daring, and might backfire. Marvel is attempting to do with movies and TV what they have done for decades with comicbooks. Comic fans however are used to intricate, interconnected stories that play out over months or years. The average TV viewer? Maybe not so much.

No doubt fanboys (and girls) will be delighted by the direction AOS appears to be headed but your average “I just want to put up my feet and be entertained” viewer may not be ready for this level of complexity and commitment. Remember comics can survive and thrive selling a couple 100,000 copies a month. TV needs millions of viewers every week. Unfortunate but thats the reality of the business of TV.

I liked this show from the start and it is virtually guaranteed a 2nd season so we’ll see how this plays out. Do I hope this audacious experiment succeeds, yes. Do I believe it will? Time will tell.

42. Joey Padron says:

great episode. surprised Garrett is part of Hydra and Ward I was most shocked he is too at end of episode.

43. RUCookie says:

Havent seen the movie yet (but plan on doing so soon). Don’t feel that the episode spoiled too much… but right now I don’t care. HOly moly that was an amazing episode of action TV. My mind flipped several times on who the baddies were. And I fully admit that while Ward’s actions of late have given me pause, he was so inherently good that I did not see that coming at all. I had figured May was reporting to Fury, so never through she was the double agent; the way the presented Hand, I flipped on her 3 times. I was not so sure about Garett – I wanted him to be an ally … ACK, trust no one. Loved it!!!

44. John NYC says:

Coulson sure seemed to turn on May pretty quick.

• kath says:

Coulson’s been a douche a lot of this season. The only person he cares about is Skye.

May deserves a better friend than Coulson.

• canadian ninja says:

May the liar? Chill – he’s just being pissy because he counted on her the most and finding out she was being sneaky juuuuuust as Hydra was taking over Shield was bad timing to say the least.

45. I don’t know how anyone hasn’t addressed the fact that in the final shot when we see Ward, we hear Garrett telling another one of his stories about the time he was in deep-cover. (my theory) When Coulson pulled Ward aside to tell him about Garrett, he tasked him with going undercover. That last look back the two had with each other, was Ward acknowledging he was going to do what he had to do. Why he killed those two guards, or if he killed Hand or not, does not really matter to me at this point. Also, the team started looking at Garrett strangely when he talked about killing Hand, and they were super against that, as in, it is not something they would expect from a SHIELD agent. Interesting that at the end Hand, did the same thing regarding Garrett. Also, anyone who works on the show saying that Ward was always planned to be evil means nothing. How many times have we been lied to by studios just to throw us off track?

• Nicole says:

Can you imagine if that was their plan all along that if it were to be renewed he could be their foe for a while. He knows a lot about them, that could be really interesting.

46. krazy says:

I think Ward is definitely Hydra. Does he still have the hard drive with the only copy of the team’s data? Also we didn’t see how he ended the fight when he was surrounded & getting beat up. He could have just Hail Hydra’d his way out – notice how we didn’t see the bodies when we got the shot of the hallway when they blew up the systems room. I take the surprise on Garrett’s face when Ward shot the 2 guards & Hand to relate to the conversation Garrett had with Skye about how she had changed Ward & maybe Garrett wasn’t sure of Ward’s loyalties anymore.

Loved this episode. The best yet. Can’t wait for next week!

47. krazy says:

Did anyone catch the nod between Simmons & Tripplet right before Tripplet attached Hand’s guys when their loyalties were being tested? Or that Simmons tossed Tripplet’s knife back to him so he could hold it to the guy’s throat?

48. Steve F. says:

AWESOME, AWESOME episode – the true fans who have stuck with this show are now starting to see everything pay off!

Not too surprised to see Bill Paxton as the Clairvoyant – wonder how he arranged to have those drones shoot him down?

VERY surprised to see Ward’s Hydra turn… all of a sudden, one of my least favorite characters became one of the most interesting at the expense of Victoria Hand. No pun intended, but hands up if you think she’s still alive… this has GOT to be a deep cover operation, right? Right…?

I’d heard about the Sitwell turn, but what I want to know is where Blake is on this (well, besides in the infirmary)? He may have a shady look to him, but I liked him in the “Item 47″ short.
    These last few episodes of the season are going to be good (I personally can’t wait for the April 29th episode, where a certain agent played by Cobie Smulders makes her reappearance)!

49. BrianR says:

This can be a great reboot for the show. Now they have to clean up the Hydra mess for a season and then maybe rebuild Shield in concert with the next Avengers movie concentrating on external threats to Earth and gearing up for them.

50. tvgeek says:

Great episode!! I really hope Ward is evil is doesn’t rejoin the team.. I dread seeing a romance between him and Skye.

• kath says:

The Ward/Skye “romance” was the one bad thing about this episode. Joss Whedon has the reputation for innovative twists but everyone could see that one coming down the pike, like a speeding train you can’t get out of the path of. The two weakest actors on the show in a relationship that is obvious and boring.