Doctor Who Casts Ben Miller as 'Storming Villain'

Ben Miller Doctor WhoFunnyman Ben Miller will be making mayhem, and not so much laughs, when he guest-stars on BBC America’s Doctor Who.

RELATED | Doctor Who Casts Keeley Hawes as a Banker With a Dark Secret

“Mark Gatiss has written us a storming villain for his new episode, and with [Peter] Capaldi in the TARDIS, we knew we needed somebody special to send everybody behind the sofa,” executive producer Steven Moffat said in a statement. “And quite frankly, it’s about time Ben Miller was in Doctor Who!”

“As a committed Whovian, I cannot believe my luck in joining the Twelfth Doctor for one of his inaugural adventures, Miller says. “My only worry is that they’ll make me leave the set when I’m not filming.”

RELATED | Doctor Who Casts Samuel Anderson as Coal Hill Teacher

One half of the comedy duo Armstrong and Miller, Miller’s previous TV acting credits include BBC One’s The Worst Week of My Life and Death in Paradise, and ITV’s Primeval.

Doctor Who Season 8 will premiere later this year.

1. kd83954 says:

I’m loving all the tidbits we’re getting for series 8! Now all we need is a PREMIERE DATE. Come on Moffat/BBC, let us know!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I just asked — not a crumb of timeframe.

• The Last Doctor says:

Matt, in the UK the unofficial ‘official’ start date is currently late August/early September, which would allow for a little break before the Christmas special. What that means for the US broadcast I don’t know, but my feeling is it won’t be too far behind.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Yeah, I’m bad with metric conversions. We shall see!

• Jen says:

Now that Doctor Who is so popular in America, BBC America usually airs the episodes the same day that they air on BBC1 in the UK, usually at 9PM on Saturday nights. Which means there is only about a four or five hour difference between when it first aired.

• thedemko says:

I’m honestly almost wondering if Moffat has some sort of grand plan in place (like he does) that will somehow be revealed by whatever start date they wind up announcing. Like somehow, the date itself will be significant to the show’s course this season. I know, I know… I’m just another ‘Moff conspiracy theorist’… but almost every other season had ended with “Doctor Who will return on (some date)” at the end of the Christmas (or Easter) episode. Hasn’t it? This feels like the first time they’ve been ‘secretive’ about the premiere date.

Of course, maybe they’re just worried about disappointing their fans, since the show may not be back until frickin’ October! :-P

• Seth says:

In the UK, our schedules are released only a few weeks in advance, we won’t get a starting date until then. Of course we could get a vague idea before then, but nothing is confirmed until a few weeks beforehand.

2. powerturtle90sdudemon says:

Would this mean he’s… an oncoming storm? :}

3. Randy says:

I’m still reeling from the first episode of the final season of Death in Paradise.

4. Alex says:

What in the world is a “storming” villain?

5. TvPeong says: