Reality Check: Was the Idol Save Wasted? Plus: Too Much Power for Shakira & The Voice Judges?

It wasn’t exactly Power to the People Week in the world of reality singing competitions.

On American Idol, the Season 13 judges’ panel enacted its sole veto option to save adorable-but-underperforming teenager Sam Woolf, while the good folks at NBC’s The Voice announced that the public won’t have an opportunity to vote until April 21.

Which brings us to the latest installment of Reality Check, where my cohost Melinda Doolittle and I dish the general lack of excitement that accompanied Sam’s reentry into the competition. We also debate the highs and lows of Top 8 performance night, attempt to sort out the leading trio of Jessica, Alex and Jena and analyze setbacks suffered by Caleb and Malaya, too.

RELATED | American Idol‘s Majesty Rose Talks Early Front-Runner Status, Frozen Fumble, Coldplay Covers

When talk turns to The Voice — and whether or not Shakira and her fellow coaches can be trusted to make the right choices in narrowing the field from 20 down to 12 (without the guidance of the public vote) — it results in one of Melinda’s best rants ever. Hell hath no fury like a Sisaundra Lewis fan (potentially) scorned!

RELATED | Idol Exclusive: Top 7 Week Theme Is…

Press PLAY below for the full Reality Check experience, then hit the comments and share your thoughts about your Idol and Voice faves. And for all my reality TV news, interviews, exlusives and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Idol: What Should the Top 8 Sing for ’80s Week?

1. Kate says:

YUP the save was wasted on a David Silver lookalike (never moreso than last week with the necklace/tie-dye combo) who wandered aimlessly around the stage with a blank look on his face. But I’m always happy when Sam’s grandpa is happy. He’s my favorite this season.

• Emma says:

Whether or not the save was wasted depends on who gets eliminated this week. I could be fine with it or I could be furious. I won’t know until Thursday.

• Emma says:

Actually, I take that back, no ones elimination this season would make me furious. There just isn’t anyone this season that I’m all that invested in.

• Name This Tune says:

You got this right.

• Erin says:

You hit the nail on the head. That’s part of the enjoyment of watching this season; watching early frontrunners fall, others with a growth arc, and others’ consistency becoming predictability. And it really doesn’t matter how it shakes out, cuz I just feel so removed and could care less. Good thing, cuz so far it seems people have just been voting on performance. One slip up and well, that’s the hunger games.

• GG says:

yay Allison I

Soooo glad to hear you in the duet with Dexter

You were the best EVER on Idol but Simon dissed you…so sorry

You wil forever be number 1 in the Idol Hall Of Fame

Gina second in the Idol of Fame

Haley Third

• GG says:

I meant Jena not Gena…how could one mess up that name when everyone is reminded about the correctness of it a zillion times

Still JENA…. amazing voice and performances

• Akash says:

I really wish America would send Sam home next week anyway. If only as an Eff You to the judges.

2. Kate says:

And saving Sam over Majesty would be much more frustrating if Majesty had really earned it. Sam didn’t earn it but she didn’t either.

• Ben says:

That’s the thing though. Its a double standard. And cute guys with guitars don’t need extra help in this competition.

• Kate says:

Maybe I’m naive but it didn’t seem to me like a double standard of boy vs. girl. It seemed more about timing to me; the save comes with a ticking clock, they want to use it but don’t want to “waste” it on a performer who does need to be eliminated. I can see Harry valuing Sam over CJ or Dexter because overcoming nerves and learning to connect seems like a more reachable goal in coming weeks than overcoming consistently terrible pitch (CJ) or total dullness (Dexter).

• Lunakit says:

Maybe there was a sale on confetti this week and they just *really* wanted to use it?? (Somehow that logic sits better with me…:-P)

• Ace says:

I think you could argue that Majesty had earned it over the body of her work- in the past, the save has been used for contestants who had shown potential, but had underperformed during one or a few weeks (Jessica Sanchez, Casey Abrams).

I think you can make the same argument for Sam, but I don’t feel that any of his performances have reached the level that Majesty’s best ones were at.

• AO says:

The thing about Jessica Sanchez is that when she was “eliminated,” she hadn’t underperformed. It’s not her most memorable performance, but “Stuttering” was still top tier. That was a just a fluke week and the only time the save was 100% necessary.

• will says:

Agreed! I still go back and rewatch Stuttering. It was great. Only two of the saves have been deserved at the time they were given, and in the context of their whole seasons, only Jessica truly deserved her save and really had the potential to win the whole thing (and IMO, ultimately deserved to, in spite of PP’s success). Casey seemed to deserve it at the time of his elimination, but in the context of Pia Toscano’s elimination and his continued mediocrity during his run, it really shouldn’t have been given to him. Matt Giraud and Michael Lynche didn’t even deserve them at the time they were eliminated, where Matt’s should have been used on Alexis Grace (I’m still burning up about that one) and Michael’s would have been better served being used on Didi Benami or Siobhan Magnus, regardless of his third place finish, which never should have happened in the first place. Anyone who claims Michael Lynche deserved a third place finish that season is a liar.

• LeahKittyS says:

Michael Lynche came in fourth in Season 9. Casey James came in third. But I also would have rather seen Didi or Siobhan get the Save that year.

• Tommyo2000 says:

I ust rewatched Stuttering for the first time since Idol and I have to agree. Stuttering was an exquisite performance of an unknown song. I dont think anything I have seen on idol this year even comes close. Even compare the outfit she was wearing to the shleppy look that his years contestents have. That was an A+ all around., and she got booted. Perfect time for the save.

• Timmah says:

Yes, this is exactly right. Majesty at least showed some potential to knock one out of the park. Sam’s performances have been consistently dull.

• S. says:

She’s also shown a potential to blow it. “Let It Go” was bad. I adored Majesty and last week’s theme would’ve benefitted her, but Sam was fine–his main issue was nerves and that wall, but the voice and pitch weren’t the problem. I think they were afraid they wouldn’t get to use the save, and they have to or the show would have a week unfilled. I’m just nervous that they’ll have a big one sink all of a sudden and now no save to use.

• karyn says:

You’re missing the point. It doesn’t matter if someone has “potential to blow it.” All of them have that. What matters is Sam never showed potential to blow us away. His delivery on every song is so flat that you can’t tell if he even cares he’s up there, cares about the story he’s telling or even knows what the lyrics mean. He could be singing a foreign language phonetically for all the connection he shows to the lyrics.

• Erin says:

I think if you asked the judges now if they would rather have back Sam or Majesty they would say Majesty. She at least there would have been a better chance of a huge redemption performance with her. I’m pretty sure we all know what we’re gonna get with Same. I mean Sam.

• Tommyo2000 says:

Majesty looked like she may have been on Xanax or something the save night. And based on how much anxiety she was showing, she may have been taking something to calm down. I think that she wasnt saved in part because she didnt look like she could handle the pressure of the competition. It might have been for her own good.

3. Fern says:

Sam might be getting favors he doesn’t deserve, but remember it’s nothing compared to previous seasons! He’s no Lauren Alaina or Amber Holcomb.

• AO says:

Eh…Amber and Lauren were much stronger contestants than Sam IMO.

• Mark says:

Right, Alana’s back! And Amber is so current!

• darcy's evil twin says:

My biggest complaint about those two, besides the over-pimping of Lauren, was the excessive use of the Lawrence Welk-Lennon Sisters ballgown collection.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Amber’s “She’s Leaving Home” was one of my favorite performances.

• Mark says:

To me, that was one of the worst performances in 12 seasons of AI. It was completely unrecognizable. I don’t think I had ever been more appalled by a musical performance in my entire life. It actually made me angry. But that was just me, I guess.

• deedee says:

@Mark – that’s exactly how I felt about Angie’s “Yesterday”! I was so appalled by the performance that it made me angry. Well, at least she made me feel something, even if it was overwhelmingly negative.

• The Orginal Lemon says:

Amber had one of the best female voices in the history of this show. She was also very attractive and marketable. I don’t see the comparison at all.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Eternal Amber Holcomb love. She had a few wonky performances, but when she was on, that voice was glorious.

• The Orginal Lemon says:

She did, but I blame Harry for psyching her out during top 4 week. Anyone that questions her needs to go and watch What Are You Doing The Rest Of Your Life for a tutorial on how it’s done.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Unfortunately I think she was done for no matter what at the final 4, with or without Harry. It was just the way the cookie was crumbling for her. I think the producers and the judges were correct in overpimping her, but the problem was the audience was backlashing against the heavy-handed vote mongering. She was toast. But man, that voice. That voice was money. I listen to her version of Stevie Wonder’s Lately at least once a week, but oftentimes once a day.

• The Orginal Lemon says:

I read somewhere that she may be singing on Mariah’s upcoming album. I hope it’s true. That voice is money….I agree. ;-)

• Angie_Overrated says:

REALLY?! Good for her! I will break down and buy that single to support Amber if/when that happens.

• tealeaves says:

Amber should be working in a piano bar. She can stand beside the piano, look gorgeous, and sing old standards. Her duet with Emeli Sande said it all.

• Kate says:

That’s the right place for Amber. She has a gorgeous voice and gorgeous everything else, but girl is NOT an artist.

• Angie_Overrated says:

You are aware that the vast majority of pop singers are not artists at all, right? That most of them have other people write their music for them, with style consultants and dance instructors, etc. The “artists” you’re referring to are manufactured entities. The list of real “artists” is a very short list indeed, so I’m not sure what the unnecessary slam against Amber was. Seemed pretty cheap with no payoff.

• tealeaves says:

Amber never had any personality on stage. She always looked fantastic. She could sing Whitney like Whitney. That is all. It was glaringly obvious when she had her duet with Emeli. Emeli was focused on putting on a show and trying to excite the crowd and Amber was completely disinterested in doing anything but standing there and hitting the notes. I was shocked when we started to get very loud signals during the season that she was the one TPTB were pushing. I really didn’t see that one coming. She even said in her post-season interview with Slezak that every week she tried to find a song that she was already familiar with so she didn’t have to learn anything new. In a different season, she would not have even made the top 5.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Are you punking me? Amber wouldn’t have made top 5 in any other season. Are you currently watching season 13? Really? REALLY!?!?!?!?!?!

• The Orginal Lemon says:

Angie_Overrated– I know you have a background in serious singing, and so do I. So did all the judges “pimping” Amber. Sometimes it takes that type of background to understand just how rare and extraordinary a voice is, and I’m cool with being on the same page as people like Mariah and Keith.

That said, I don’t think Amber has the ‘Star’ personality, which includes a lot of sacrifice and determination. She seems to have chosen the simple life, and that’s ok…it’s her life, and her choice. It takes more than a voice, though, and I hope someday she realizes what a gift she has, and digs in. ;-)

• Angie_Overrated says:

Wow, Lemon. It’s great to chat with someone who understands the technical demands. I find it very frustrating listening to some of the posters who make categorical statements about singing that are — in fact — categorically wrong. Amber was so so good. A few of those folks last year were amazing. I didn’t know what you’re referring to with Amber’s work ethic. I assume what you’re saying is correct, and that’s a shame because she needs to be doing something with that voice.

4. Rod says:

At least the didnt wait to use the save on Dexter or CJ, because you know that they would have.

5. Sierra1707 says:

Jena didn’t impress me at all. Loud does not equal excellence.

• Liz says:

I can’t believe they are trying to put her on par with Alex and Jessica for that GOD AWFUL arrangement. You know, “artistry” is no good when you destroy everything that made the original song great in the first place.

• Mary says:

I loved the arrangement. I liked the fact she didn’t try to keep the Adele one, lets face it nobody can measure up to Adele original. I guess it depends on what you enjoy listening to I for one cannot stand Alex voice. Do I think he is creative yes but I would not buy his music. Jessica is another story I love her voice.

• lunaburning says:

I just don’t get the Jena love. Something about her voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me. Ah, well. To each their own.

• karyn says:

Jena’s voice doesn’t wow me like it seems to for others either, but I still agree she belongs in the top 3 or 4 just because she is an artist (I like the originality she’s shown), she can sing in tune and she can perform without looking afraid. Amazingly, only 4 of the top 10 actually meet that rather low threshold. I’d put Caleb in that group as well. The two I really love though (and have loved all season) are Jessica and Alex.

6. Sierra1707 says:

The same goes for Caleb.

7. Dresdin says:

Regarding Sisaundra on The Voice. There’s no way Blake won’t put her in the top twelve, but you can’t be mad at anything that happens after that. Just because you’re a superior singer doesn’t mean that American will like you and vote for you. Sisaundra is way, way too far over the top with her facial expressions, arm-waving, and vocal gymnastics to appeal to me… and I don’t think kids will care for her either.

• Timmah says:

I agree. She’s very old school, which I don’t think will go over with the younger TV voters. She’d probably fare much better on Idol.

• Kevin says:

I have a bad feeling that she’s gonna sing And I Am Telling You someday if she advances. I wonder if my hearing will ever be the same if she does that.

• Idolhead Ed says:

It doesn’t matter whether he keeps her or not. She will not win and will be lucky to place 3rd. The final two will be Bria and Christine Grimmie and Christine will win without a contest. No one will come close to her. Sure she may not be the best vocalist although she is very good for today’s market, but she has something even people like Sara Barielles would love to have and that is 2,000,000 + YouTube subscribers. Not views, subscribers. You watch what happens once the iTunes charts start becoming a factor. She will rocket to #1 every week. .My guess too is that she has already been approached by labels because of her You Tube popularity. But wisely she opted not to sign and make sure everyone knew her via Idol, X Factor or The Voice. In fact Colbie Callet was picked up by Universal from My Space and she did not have near the following Christine has. My other guess is The Voice picked her specifically for that reason. She may finally be the one who puts a Voice winner on the map. .

• Sierra1707 says:

The songs from The Voice contestants are already available to buy at iTunes, and although they don’t officially “count” as votes yet, it’s only reasonable to expect that the sales reflect the level of interest viewers have in any given singer.

So far, NONE of The Voice performances have approached #1, much less “rocketed” to the top.
        As for Christina…here are her iTunes rankings from the morning after…

From February 28, 2014:

172. Christina Grimmie – Wrecking Ball

From March 27:

March 27, 2014:

349. Christina Grimmie – I Knew You Were Trouble

From April 1, 2014:

215. Christina Grimmie – Counting Stars

• Joe says:

You do realize you can buy Youtube subscribers. You can also buy views and likes and pay a company to put up comments that you can write yourself. I know a guy who got 500k views in a month and can’t get 10 people to show up his shows. He bought the views and tried to trick record companies into thinking he was hot. 2 million subs is impressive, but if she had 2 million real paying fans I doubt she’d be on the Voice. I call shenanigans.

• Jon says:

This is the same thing people were saying about Tessanne last season.

8. TiaGata says:

I didn’t watch AI last week, but I listened as I dozed off to sleep, nobody stood out before I went to bed, ASMOF, when Malaya was “TRYING” to sing that AF song, I fast forwarded because she was sounding AHM and I wasn’t for it, then off to sleep I went, and I didn’t even check the results until Friday morning.

I think I have lost interest in this show. I thought I would like the judges panel, but even they have started getting on my nerves, (I still live to hear Keith say Baby though).

Anyway, I am sure if the show comes back next season so will I, but for now, I am not really interested. This reminds so much of how season 9 felt to me. I tried, but couldn’t hang in there then either.

• AO says:

I literally cannot understand that first paragraph…

• karenb says:

Lol I thought it was just me!

• TiaGata says:

I know – I couldn’t understand it myself on a read back – LOL

ASMOF was supposed to mean As a matter of fact (the s isn’t needed – lol)

I thought Malaya was singing an Aretha Franklin (AF) song (the artist could be someone else, I didn’t feel like researching – my bad and excuse my laziness – SMH)

A Hot Mess (AHM) is how Malaya sounded to me!!!!

There I deciphered that acronym lingo for you. I know how much I hate it, so I don’t know why I would do it over here.

9. Dakota says:

Ok, here goes. Sam has nothing to offer and any girl over 14 will be over his looks. I’ve directed a few high school musicals and can’t even say I would give him the lead. It would serve the judges right if Malaya or Jena is voted off and there is no save for them. And a big shoutout to you Michael for calling a spade a spade on JLo! Miss Lip Synch/Autotune deserves to be called out. If she were judging showgirls for a Las Vegas review, I might give her some cred, but singing, no way. My hotel in Key West, many years ago, hosted her coming out as a singer thanks to Diddy reserving every venue in town for one event or another, and I remember thinking, “You’re kidding me, right??” I had no idea “no talent” was the wave of the future. JLo does have nice legs, so I guess that counts for something.

10. Mark says:

The save was wasted, but it is not going to make a difference. The front runners are not going anywhere near the bottom with CJ, and Sam still in the competition. Stop worrying about it.
    I must disagree with the praise heaped on Jena for her tepid version of Rolling In The Deep. Sure, it was original and creative, but it was emotionless. She stripped the fire from the song and sang it like she had just been lobotomized. It’s hard to take a threat seriously when their is no conviction in the tone of the speaker. The first two lines of the song talk about the fire in her heart, yet Jena’s version doused that fire entirely. I give her credit for reworking the song, but the end result was a fail for me.
    Finally, I get where they are coming from wishing that Caleb would switch it up, but why should he? Are the voters wishing he would change it up, or are they clamoring for more of what he’s selling? Scotty sang the same song every week and won. Phillip Phillips sang a Dave Matthews song every week and won. If the judge’s scores counted toward the overall score it might make sense to take that advice, but they don’t. There’s no sense in trying to fix what isn’t broken. There’s no reward for switching it up when giving the people what they want is keeping him at or near the top.

• MamaLis says:

Ya… but James Durbin was doing fine as well… until he finished in 4th place.

• will says:

At which point he couldn’t have been saved anyway. The save is and always has been only active up until Top 5 week, the week before that, on whoever goes home in fifth place.

• karyn says:

I think MamaLis’ point is that even if Caleb is getting the votes now doesn’t mean he’ll get the votes when it is down to 4 people and he needs to pull more than just the hardcore rocker votes. So even if he isn’t trying to earn the save, maybe Caleb should listen to the judge’s advice if he wants to keep getting the votes.

• Mark says:

Fourth was the highest that James Durbin could have finished that year. I don’t think he was ever considered a front runner. Moreover, that season was one of the most tightly scripted in the history of AI. The two spots in the finals were reserved for the country cuties story line, so first and second were out of reach. The Supreme Goddess of Song, The Golden Haired Princess of Sonic Rhapsody, The Slayer, She Who is Worshiped for Every Note She Ever Struck, the Immortal, The Eternal, The Sworn Enemy of JLO, The Blessed Hailey Reinhart finished third. James could have given away gold coins with every vote and he was still finishing no higher than fourth.

• The Orginal Lemon says:

Re: Caleb…. Exactly! Why should Caleb change what he’s doing when Alex isn’t. Jess and Jena aren’t exactly models of variety either. I’m not sure why Caleb has to play by different rules. Unlike Jena, he was voted in by America, and has never seen the bottom.

• MamaLis says:

I think all those things are true and well stated. I think Caleb is killing it each week. That said, I think the game changes when the lower percentile of opponents, disappears. When it becomes JUST Caleb, Alex, Jena…and Jess (or God forbid Dexter)… and 3 of your contestants are doing originals and/or demonstrating really creative musicianship – I think it’s serious “game on.”

Someone still has to go home each week and at that point, the voting criteria is way elevated.

• Name This Tune says:

+1000
        The way I calculate it, we’re about 4 weeks away from the top 4. If Caleb needs to change things up, then so do Alex and Jessica. Because if I were voting for the top 2 right now, some people won’t make it because they are rather repetitive.

• Matrix says:

I agree. I think you stay with what is working. The voting hasn’t indicated people are getting tired of Caleb’s entertaining style.

• Mary says:

I am getting tired of his style. Caleb is good and entertaining but I know exactly how he is going to sound every week. He would make a great cover band artist but I am not so sure how he would stand on original. Plus every concert I have been to does a variety in their shows.

• Name This Tune says:

Mary, my dear, you can say the same thing about Alex, Jessica, CJ, Sam, Malaya, and Dexter. To a lesser extent, you can say the same thing about Jena. Not much changes from any of them from week to week.

We will see how each one of them plays out their styles during 80s week.

• deedee says:

Mark, for tv show entertainment purposes, it’s important for Caleb to change gears once in awhile. The judges always encourage mixing it up because it’s more interesting. I don’t think Caleb’s kind of retro 70s tribute band style will carry him to a win, so it’s probably in his best interest to stretch himself and show a different side every so often. Even Phillip Phillips sang Volcano, which departed from his Dave Matthews streak.
      AI audiences love versatility, so why not play to that? I was hoping Caleb would have stuck with a soulful rendition of Chain of Fools, but instead he turned it into yet another 70s classic rock display. And Caleb has a voice that can handle soul.

• Mark says:

I agree with you to a degree, deedee, but I think the previous posters have it on the money: Caleb should wait until they get down to the final four to show some versatility. Isn’t that when they start doing two songs a night? Give them the soft one first, and then drive it home with another hard one. That way he can show versatility while also reminding his fans why they are voting for him.
        My bigger worry for him is that no rocker has won AI since David Cook, and even he was kind of MOR. I don’t think there are enough rock fans who also vote to sustain him past the final four. I hope I’m wrong, but that’s my gut instinct. I’m also concerned about the type of album he could make post Idol. He’s not going to chart if he records the sounds of the 70s. My wish for him is that after this week he turns to more modern sounding material with that rock edge. Otherwise, he could be driving down a dead end street.

• deedee says:

Good points. I just worry that his position in the competition isn’t as solid as people think, and he can be booted at any time if voters get 70s-rock-fatigue. But since he’s never hit bottom 3, it does look like he has a few weeks to play with. Caleb’s voice is great and I happen to like classic rock, but I wouldn’t buy an album today that sounds like classic rock, so I also hope he can find a way to modernize.

11. MamaLis says:

This is a Public Service Announcement.

I read an interview with Ddendyl / the Voice and she explicitly stated that ALL “Saves” were used up prior to her appearance AND the Battles were NOT shown on television in the order that they actually went down.

This does not negate the lunacy of Shakira but it could, perhaps, excuse the others.

Thank you and goodnight.

• Timmah says:

That’s exactly what I suspected because Carson did not announce that she was available for a steal.

• You can tell if there are no saves left if Carson does not give the obligatory “Let me remind the coaches so and so is available for a steal.” Biff was the only time last week I remember Carson saying that for someone who was not stolen. The steals could have very well been all used up in the first five battles.

12. Vince V. says:

The judge saved Sam in te hopes that CJ and maybe Dexter will go home in the next 2 weeks. My top 5 is Malaya, Jessica, Caleb, Jena, and Alex. On the voice, I’m a little nervous but Sisaundra will definitely be in the top 12. But if you look at Shakira’s team, I’d rather Patrick and Kristen go home before Deja. Kristen has been montaged and is already forgettable enough, and Patrick’s vocals don’t do anything for me/not my preference of vocals. Excited about Idol next week, it’s a defining week for front runner and bottom 3 positioning. And the voice better not let me down this week either.

13. karenb says:

Oh how I wish I had someone to root for this year.

14. The Orginal Lemon says:

I’ve never been a fan of the save, and I’m glad it’s gone now. I hate watching distressed contestants dealing with the sting of rejection, try valiantly to be entertaining at the exact moment when they want to cry or go off and lick their wounds. I still think they used the save just to use it up.

Caleb is considered a frontrunner along with Alex and Jena, on just about every board on the internet, but he does need another Skyfall moment. I’m really hoping he does something that pulls at the heartstrings this week. I’m still confused as to his song pick last week.

Malaya’s appearance in the B3 this week didn’t surprise me. Her “OMG, I just had a Diet Coke, a cup of coffee, and a Red Bull!!” personality is wearing thin, and her upper range is unpleasant to listen to. I’ve never understood the hype, and I feel Brandy should have had her spot.

I still like Cj. I know, I know….I understand the criticism he gets, and I don’t disagree with it. I just feel like there’s room for someone with his emotional connectedness in the music world. I agree with JLo…he is compelling despite his imperfections.

• Liz says:

I agree with you about C.J. and am sick of him being bashed on here! There is more to singing than hitting every single note perfectly. When Sam sings, I feel nothing. When Malaya sings, her voice sounds shrill and underdeveloped. Dexter was good this week… but does that forgive every single karaoke performance he did prior? I mean, C.J. at least has a grit, authenticity and innate emotional connection most of the others do NOT have.

• The Orginal Lemon says:

Yes! And obviously, we are not alone, as he is still in the competition.

• Mary says:

There is more to singing then hitting every note but lets be real, a singer should hit at least 95% of the notes. CJ is lucky to hit 40%. If Auto Tune is your thing then vote for him, I for one refuse to vote for anybody who cannot hit the notes.

• Joe says:

I can’t believe people actually defend CJ. He’s horrible. Horrible. You should at least be able to sing to be on a singing competition.

• The Orginal Lemon says:

Defend? This isn’t a courtroom. Music is subjective, emotional, and personal. People like what they like. I don’t think anyone disagrees that CJ has issues with “intonation.” We are just saying that he is still an interesting and compelling performer in spite of that.

15. MamaLis says:

I just had a thought why the Voice is doing the switch-up: To keep the Coaches in the Game (e.g. Shakira)!

Didn’t CeeLo run low on teammates last season, early in the finals? Maybe I’m remembering wrong, but when you’ve got sweet but clearly wack-a-doodle Shakira against the heavy male teams, she could potentially be voted out before the “Final-Finals” even start!

• Yeah Cee-Lo’s team was quickly sent home last season but each coach will have three contestants in the top 12 this year just like the past three seasons. It is just in those past three seasons, America saved two from each team and each coach would get a save.

16. :( says:

I say that the front runners are Caleb, Jess, and Alex. I feel that if Jena has one bad week, she will go back to the bottom 3.

17. MamaLis says:

I personally think they should have used the Save on Majesty. God knows she would have been more excited!

That said, let’s do the math.

CJ – in all likelihood – is next to depart. Since they couldn’t “fix it” after all, wouldn’t be too fitting to use the Save.
    Sam – might very well be leaving VERY soon. If Idol is intent on “saving” him, might as well be now rather than in two weeks. He could TANK the next two weeks and then people would be outright pissed if they used the Save!
    Dexter- I’m thinking Idol is thinking, he’s not going home in the next two weeks. This scares me immensely so I’m moving on.
    Malaya – last option for the Save and a viable one, indeed. In fact, if not CJ or Sam, it’s likely to be Malaya. So why wouldn’t Idol use it on her????

That’s what it might come down to: Week #6 and a Malaya exit: Will it have been worth it to save Sam vs. her? I don’t know that I can say Yes.

• Stormy says:

I don’t exactly disagree with you, but I do view it differently. First, I believe the judges, Ryan and Randy know the results before air time. I further believe the deliberations are partly based on whether or not the singer in question is doing well in ITune sales [which Sam was] not just on vote results. Majesty was not selling well on ITunes. Sales are a good barometer for an artist’s marketability.

• LeahKittyS says:

Up-vote. iTunes sales are definitely a worthy factor to consider.

• Lynn says:

Well, the problem is that come next week, unless Sam has a major breakthrough, he’s going home. He may be selling well on iTunes, but no one’s voting for him. Idol must need the coin from iTunes pretty bad.

• Mary says:

Sam wasn’t that high on Itunes so I don’t thinks the total sales are anything to write home about. Sam was saved so the girls in the audience would have someone to scream over, even though I personally don’t think he is that cute. He has a nice voice, but classic example on should of waiting a couple years.

18. Grandma Jane says:

Thank you Melinda for saying what I was thinking regarding not using the save on Majesty last week. I know she was a bit diapppointing for awhile, BUT I always looked forward to her. I always hoped she’d give another beautiful performance. I do miss her. Course I still miss Melinda and Candice too! Thanks Michael and Melinda for making Mondays entertaining.

19. LeahKittyS says:

I’m perfectly fine with them saving Sam this week, though I also would have liked it if they had saved Majesty or even MK. I’ll take any of them over C.J. I don’t think Alex, Caleb, or Jessica are in any imminent danger (and I will continue to vote for them accordingly in the hope that it stays that way). Still not feeling anything for Malaya, and I love country music but Dexter is still generic. As for Jena, well, that could go one of two ways: if she is not the victim of a shock boot this week, she could be the latest Idol comeback girl. She’s already back; she just needs to stay.

20. Karen says:

Oh Michael… “Dirty Laundry” for Dexter? No. Just no…

21. RTW says:

J-Lo annoyed me big time when she wouldn’t allow Jess to answer Ryan’s questions:

– Ryan: Blue-eyed lie, written about an ex?
    – J-Lo: That’s what all songs are about.
    – Ryan: J-Lo, you want to comment?
    – J-Lo: Not right now
    – Ryan: The Blue-eyed liar…you think he’s watching?
    – J-Lo: He’s definitely watching.
    – Ryan: Jess, go have a seat.

Wow J-Lo, way to steal someone’s spotlight. Anyways, I still feel Alex, Jess, Jena and Caleb are in their own league. Should be an interesting show this week.

22. Can we trust coaches to make the right choices? Probably not, especially Shakira who looks like she is actively trying to take the worst coach crown from Christina. But can we really trust America to get things right either? I think I trust Blake more than America (Adam and Usher are more of a toss up). I would be shocked if Blake does not pick Sisaundra for his top three but would be even more shocked if America puts Sisaundra in the finals. I fully expect her to be voted out in week two or three when America is finally allowed to vote.

• Adam Fachry says:

Christina improved a lot last season when it comes to coaching. If she didn’t, then Jacquie Lee wouldn’t have been in the finals, regardless of some awful weeks she had (i.e. The one where she performed the slowed-down version of Clarity). Though, I did find the way she handled Matthew Schuler disappointing. Nevertheless, she was far from being the worst coach. That crown is still Cee Lo’s to lose.

Regarding Sam’s save and the relation it has to his iTunes sales number, let’s take into acvount basic logic here. If he were that marketable, yet still didn’t generate vote, he still couldn’t win the competition. I still don’t see the point in him lasting another week, even if it’s the case of “enjoying the aforementioned iTunes sales while it lasts.” Also, does iTunes sales number really give more money to the show than the number of votes? Ineedtoseethereceipt.gif

• Adam, you are taking the short view on the worst coach crown. Sure Cee-Lo checked out last season, but he did come in second in season two and had two of the final four in season three. Compare that to Christina who may have been the runner up last season but came in dead last the first three seasons. She had arguable the weakest teams ever in the first and third seasons (though this season Shakira has entered that discussion). Her team on the second season may have actually been the strongest that season coming out of the Blind Audition but stupid decision after stupid decision landed her in dead last among the coaches. But after Shakira dumped Clarissa last night, she has no one I think America will want to vote for and could very well lose all her team in the first two weeks.

• Tamara says:

Oh wow. It really makes me sad when people compare Shakira and Christina- like there is no comparison. To the minority of people who like the judges for their actual vocal abilities and credibility and not their hilarious antics or sweet personality, Christina is the best. And I know this is about judging not who’s the better singer but Christina is a far far better judge than Shakira, and she always has been. Her outfits and her “diva” attitude always seem to take centre stage and get her a lot of hate but at least she knows a good singer when she hears one and has her own mind, doesn’t immediately rush to push a button once her fellow coaches do, like Shakira does (which is so embarrassing and cringey). She’s coached a lot of amazing singers to the finals like Beverly (who I loved and was really surprised that Christina would choose continuously since she wasn’t a young blonde teen lol) and Chris Mann and of course last year with Jacqui who clearly worshipped her.

I’m not asking you to like her because people will clearly hate who they want to, but Shakira is a really amateur coach and is completely out of her league this season, whereas Christina was always a good coach even if she wasn’t well liked.

• Tamara, when I say Christina is the worst coach I am judging them solely on the coaching abilities, not vocals or antics. I had to laugh when you say she coached a lot of amazing singers to the finals when in the first two seasons there were team quotas and every coach had singers in the final if they deserved it or not. Considering both both Beverly and Chris came in last, had there not been quotas in the first two season, they would not even made the finals. With three last place finishes in her first three seasons, Christina earned her worst coach status.

23. Name This Tune says:

Wow, we’re really waiting for May sweeps before either show gets interesting. Can’t vote on The Voice until the end of April, and have to muddle through 4 more weeks of less than spectacular singing on Idol.

Is it just me or are TPTB at Idol tone deaf? Confetti showers for being saved? Who’s idea was that? Just makes eliminating results night all the more logical.

And sending someone through to the top 13 that you knew was tone deaf back during the auditions? What universe are you living in, American Idol?

• Lynn says:

Totally agree. I was a fan of CJ’s until it became clear that he either can’t or won’t learn to sing in tune. Why would you put someone through to top 30 knowing they can’t hit the right note consistently? Clearly America prefers personality to vocal ability.It’s like – we don’t care if you sing in tune as long as you sing with feeling.

24. Dan says:

I thought the save was introduced to right a rare injustice wherein someone who would have a chance to win the show would be eliminated. Sam Woolf had been in the bottom 3 three times prior to his “elimination.” That’s not somebody with a chance to win the show… that’s just a teenage boy with a mediocre fan base.

• The Orginal Lemon says:

Exactly. This year, I felt they were just using it up, like a coupon that’s about to expire.

• Tom22 says:

The issue is the number of weeks in the season.

They’ve planned the show to have a certain number of weeks in the season. They need a non elimination week for that to work out.

In an interview a few weeks ago Keith Urban was asked about the save and said that he guaranteed it would be used this year (whether they wanted to or not ?.. you’ll need to do your own reading between the lines on the why.. if you find the interview.) One thing he said implied that it caused an issue last year.. perhaps a question they asked which he generally affirmed.

• karyn says:

In past years, they’ve used a double elimination in the week following the save, so that they stay on schedule regardless of whether they use the save or not. No one is talking about it one way or the other this season, but it seems likely to me they will have one again. Otherwise, it feels too contrived. I think they saved Sam b/c he’s a nice kid with a good voice who can sing in tune and Harry was offended at the idea of him going before CJ (who’s also nice but apparently can’t sing in tune even when he’s really trying).

25. Jan says:

Michael, I look forward to your conversations with Melinda every week … PURE GOLD!!

26. Emma says:

Maybe idol will make history and the person that was saved the week before will get eliminated again this week. Wouldn’t that be something. Unless Sam really steps it up, I think that’s a real possibility.

27. Grandma Jane says:

Michael, if you dutifully read all the comments. I don’t tweet or do facebook. So this is my only forum and I want to ask a question.
    You are pretty honest in your reviewing. Assuming most of the contestants see your stuff: Is there discomfort for you when you sit down with someone for an interview that you have, for instance, just said is like a flatline??

28. abz says:

I wish you’d do an equal split of discussion for the voice. I don’t watch AI so I have to fast forward and only get to watch a few minutes. Anyways, still love your convos with Melinda. Too funny

29. Timmah says:

Is it just me, or is the guitar riff on Jess’ song exactly the same as on Nirvana’s About A Girl?

• Name This Tune says:

Would not surprise me. She is not all that original. Or bright.

• Timmah says:

Well, at least the rest of the song is different. It just strikes me that the guitar part is very similar, if not the same. I’m not sure Idol has a truly original contestant this season. Maybe not since Lambert really.

• Liz says:

Name This Tune… you need to get over your obsessive hatred of Jessica already. It is really necessary to bash her ten times over on every single ones of these boards. We heard you. We get it. You don’t like her. Now find something else to harp on.

• Name This Tune says:

Lol, haven’t said anything about her today. Are you feeling a little overprotective of your girl, dearie?

• Jaszy says:

Couldn’t it be possible, though, that she has never heard that Nirvana song before? Lots of artists have similar ideas. It doesn’t mean that they’re copying.
      And the riff doesn’t sound exactly the same, but it is similar to Nirvana’s riff.
      A lot of pop songs sound similar to each other as well.
      What point are you trying to prove?

• Timmah says:

No point, really. When she started playing the other night the first thing I thought was Nirvana, then it took me awhile to place the exact song. I was just looking for someone with some musical background to tell me if I was accurate.

• Liz says:

And the main guitar riff in “About a Girl” is identical to the earlier Cure song “M.” What exactly is your point?

30. Kes says:

I think some of the criticism towards Caleb is a bit unfair. I know they showed him audition with an original song, but who knows if there was complications in clearing it due to him maybe writing it with other people. But the Aretha track was his other audition song, so what much choice he had? And I know Michael gave him credit for switching up a bit, but it would be nice if the credit was given here as well.

With that said, I’m not in any way denying he should sing with more subtlety. I do feel he is hitting a wall, and I hope he listens to Harry in terms of toning down the loudness.

• Ann V. says:

Caleb really did sound like he’s planning on changing it up. I sure hope so, because he totally has the pipes to dial it back.

• Tamara says:

Totally agree, in general on tvline Caleb is so overlooked! I think he’s the best on the show, people seem to only see a loud rock singer but he also has the most insanely accurate pitch ever as well as great throw and tone and has actually chosen a variety of songs, not just 70s rock n roll. Yet he never gets gushing reviews from Michael (who is too busy on his Haley of the moment, currently Jena).

I was so annoyed when after his AMAZING performance of Dazed and Confused, he was given the “well he sang the song like the original and a song that was right in his wheelhouse really really well” treatment and Jena got all the praise just because she yowls and is “original”. Jena is good and probably the best girl but just because she changes the melody doesn’t mean she is automatically great- I thought her version of rolling in the deep was so indulgent and as always I couldn’t understand a word she sang.

Ah well I’ll be rooting for Caleb, the best most consistent singer on the show! And I hope he does dial it back down because he’s got the chops to pull it off! :)

• LeahKittyS says:

Hey, everybody has their reasons for liking and not liking contestants. Caleb is in my personal Top 3 of the year, along with Alex and Jessica, but my grandfather doesn’t like him at all. Too loud and raucous for his taste. He likes country boys like CJ and Dexter.

31. Ann V. says:

I think the use of the save is moot – I’m not sure there is anyone who would deserve it more. However, if the quick-dial tweens can’t keep Sam from being the lowest vote-getter now, he’s not going to make the finals. Because he’s really not improving.

32. Leticia Prado says:

Weird, I am not able to see my previous post on my mobile, but on my computer it shows… Anyway, I wil repeat myself, so sorry if you can see it.

I saw on David Cook’s Twitter today a picture of him mentoring Sam. I am so excited to see David on the show, I have finally let go of the disappointment of the save, just because it will give him more screen time. I hope.

33. Trisha26 says:

I’d like to hear something tender & emotional from Caleb too (he had no choice this last week, it was his audition song) but I’d be happy with him just belting out that great blues rock until the finale. He’s terrific. I loved Jessica this last week, but Alex is still my favorite. Have to disagree about Jena – you’re right about her changing up Rolling In The Deep – it was a completely different song; you do not do that to Adele! She can sing, but I hear nothing special about her voice whatsoever – she’s a borderline Demi Lovato/Lea Michele wannabe. The Voice: Do not understand why they get rid of certain contestants, steal others, and montage some that seem so interesting. The producers almost seem to be sabotaging their own show. The mysteries of Reality TV.

• Mary says:

I disagree about Jena. That is exactly what you do to a Adele song so nobody compares it. Nobody will ever match up to Adele original but I loved Jena spin on it. We have to agree to disagree because Jena has a beautiful voice, you might not enjoy it but several do. I do not see the Demi and Lea comparison but whatever. Alex for me is creative but I just do not care for his voice at all. Different taste I guess.

34. MAB says:

I really do not like The Voice’s changes this year. I barely watch anymore. I hate the battle rounds and this year they just added a second batch of battle rounds. Plus we will not be angle to vote till the show is almost over. I just can’t get into it. I like Idol’s format so much better. At least you get to know the contestants better.

• abz says:

I agree. I’m getting tired of how fast they make the show go just so that they can fit two cycles each year. And this second round of battles was just stupid and probably an excuse just to bring in Chris Martin. I liked the Knockout Rounds because it gave a little more variety rather than having them sing the same song. I wish they’d just go back to the old format but only send one person home per week so that we can see the contestants grow and improve.

35. MC says:

I think there is a tendency to underestimate Shakira because she is beautiful and polite. Ddendyl did supply a more sophisticated interpretation of “Say Something,” but she is boxed in as a very rigid and affected singer. She simply cannot match Kat, Bria or Sisaundra (among others) in terms of modulation, versatility or power. It’s possible that Shakira knew that and simply chose Deja because she is more coachable. Also, play back the blind audition of Josh Kaufman and listen to Shakira’s comments. It sounds like she knows talent when she sees it.

36. Erin says:

If that’s what angels sound like then why am I trying to be good? – best quote ever, Michael!

37. Whitney says:

Silly Slezak… you’re probably Allison’s biggest fan. You should know that it’s not “ear-ah-he-tah,” it’s “eye-rah-hettah,” ;-)

38. GuitarBlue says:

Current popularity rankings pre-performance-= (song choice that contestant can “sell” can change this after performance, we know)

Level 1. Jena – Alex – Caleb………………………

Level 2. Jessica – Malaya …………

Level 3. Dexter- Sam – CJ……………………………

When CJ goes, Dexter gets a boost in votes, or vice-versa………………………

When Sam goes, Alex, Malaya and Jena will gain the bulk of his voters that keep voting.

39. Cheng says:

Sam deserves it! It was done. What’s next? See how far he goes. If he wont make it im sure the giy will have a career with the huge fan based now. Let’s not be so judgmental as if he doesnt have the talent. Obviously, he does. The voice. Pitch perfect among the constestants. This time he need to step up and prove to the world that he deserves the save. If he does, well, sorry to disappoint the Sam’s haters. If he doesn’t, well, ypur prayers are heard. God is watching :-)

40. James says:

How it’s going to play out!

1. Gena – wins..with voting limited now she takes the crown over Alex
    2. Alex – runner up…does very well but Jena is just too good to overcome
    3. Caleb / Jessica 3rd or 4th (could go either way depending on who does better from here on out)
    5. Malaya – should be able to squeak into a 5th place finish provided she doesn’t get rattled like Majesty did.
    6. Dexter – Step it up last week but I doubt he can improve much or continue this trend.
    7. Sam – Survives one more week and gets the boot with CJ.
    8. CJ – The less said the better…

• MamaLis says:

Logically James, that probably is how things will go down.
      That said, it’s been a WEIRD season and anything can and has happened!!!
      Additionally, Dexter’s survivability is somewhat alarming. Ok I lied. Really alarming.

• Julie Anderson says:

I could see that, and I’m not sure I’d mind either. Alex is my favorite, but I’m not sure I want him to actually win. I just want him to have positive exposure to kick start his career.

41. Karen says:

I have been watching the the Voice UK, and their judges take it down to 2 per team basically, I like it. I usually get more angry with the public than the judges on who stays.

42. Mary says:

Michael, I think what Keith was saying about Jessica is that her body language did not match the song, if that makes sense. I don’t think he was looking for her to dance around but the top half of her body was moving to the music but her legs were frozen still. Her song had a nice beat to it and she could of moved her bottom half a little, tap her foot I don’t know sway to the music. I was sitting down watching the performance and I will admit I was chair dancing a little.

43. darcy's evil twin says:

Great commentary as usual from Mr. Slezak and Melinda. I don’t know that I’m feeling the love for Jena as much as the two of them are but the girl’s got a set of pipes. I agree – Jess did not get NEARLY the credit she deserved from the judges for the song and the performance. And she’s looking amazing.
    I love Alex – think he’s very creative, and I just love Caleb’s style. I haven’t grown tired of that style since 1968 so it’s probably not going to happen now. Sorry, I’m old school, I’m a sucker for a loud rocker, electric guitars, and rock music. Not current but I’m enjoying the ride.
    Malaya was better than she has been and I agree about Malaya and Sam – wish they’d waited a couple of years. Sam has a lovely voice and perfect diction but no emotion.
    Everyone may be underestimating Dexter. Like Kellie Pickler he’ll have a career in country music no matter where he finishes.
    CJ should go home this week unless he REALLY rallys with an amazing performance.

• Bonnie A. says:

I think we’re the same age and I still LOVE Caleb’s kind of performances, too! The Led Zeppelin performance had me up out of my chair raising my arms and yelling. Love the loud electric guitars. Must be from having my teen years in the 60s!

My other favorites this season are Alex, Jena and Dexter–they’ll all have a career in music–Jess is my fourth favorite.

44. Adam Fachry says:

People are not giving Jena enough credit for he Rolling in the Deep arrangement which was clearly the epitome of creativity. She took the current druggy, atmospheric r&b trend initiated by The Weeknd, Miguel, and Frank Ocean with a mixed instrumentation and vast sonic landscape. It bothers me how people like Kris Allen whose idea of creativity was basically just turn every song into a lazy acoustic session was highly praised back then. But someone like Jena who was not afraid to take a song to the extreme and actually put a lot more thought into the arrangement is considered jarring, indulgent, etc.

• Mary says:

Hey I liked Kris arrangements and I didn’t think they were a lazy acoustic session either. I also loved Jena on RITD. I think a lot of people are taken back by the arrangement due to the fact it is so not like the original, which is why I loved it. Like Melinda said, she took away the known beat and made it her own. I think is is a question of taste personally.

• Mark says:

I give her credit for creativity, especially since that has been conspicuously in short supply this season. But that song is about a woman burning with rage and vowing vengeance, and Jena’s arrangement completely doised the fire from those lyrics. That song is not susceptible to a hipster stoner arrangement without forfeiting the power of the vocals. It was a contradiction, at best.

• Adam Fachry says:

Every song’s meaning can be reinterpreted while not diminishing its essence. For instance, Julia Holter turned Barbara Lewis’ “Hello stranger” from an easy-going delight of meeting an old lover to this complete moment of stillness as if both of the characters in the song are so fixated to each other’s old faces and the world stops for a second.

Jena still delivers the song with a poignancy of a breakup, just not as angry as Adele sings it. As a matter of fact, a lot of hipsters stoner R&B songs that the The Werknd made on his debut House of Balloons are rooted in tales of plaintive breakup.

• Mark says:

I agree with your premise that a fresh arrangement can give an old song a different interpretation and a new life. However, I don’t feel that these lyrics are susceptible to the arrangement Jena gave them:
          There’s a fire starting in my heart
          Reaching a fever pitch, it’s bringing me out the dark
          Finally I can see you crystal clear
          Go ‘head and sell me out and I’ll lay your ship bare
          See how I leave with every piece of you
          Don’t underestimate the things that I will do
          Nouvelle Vague specializes in transforming 80s Punk and New Wave songs into bossa nova style pieces. Some work spectacularly, others fail miserably. Jena’s tepid version was a fail, for me. But others liked it, so like all music, it’s ultimately subject to individual taste.

• Adam Fachry says:

Yeah, it’s a case of “to each their own” and I see where you’re coming from. To me personally, the lyrics can still be applied to the mood Jena produced in her arrangement. It actually evokes a new sense of ambivalence, of passive-aggressiveness. As if the character does hold a grudge, but at the same time, the memories of her love still linger on and she still doesn’t want to move on or even worse, she longs for his return.

45. karyn says:

Michael, I’m confused about the week count. Back in 2011, I remember they had a double elimination after the judge’s save was used. Is that planned this time? Everyone is saying they HAD to use the save, but that is exactly why they plan a double elimination to follow a save – so that the save can be used or not, without affecting the schedule.

• LeahKittyS says:

When the Save was introduced in Season 8, it was structured to fit within the already planned schedule, hence the double elimination. It stayed that way for Seasons 9, 10, and 11. (The only reason one person went home after Jessica was saved in Season 11 is because there had already been a double elimination upon the disqualification of Jermaine Jones.) Then in Season 12, they built an extra week into the schedule so that only one person would be set to go home when the Save was used, which never technically happened, so Top 4 week became the no-cut week. The same thing happened this year, so only one person will go home this week. I hope that clears it up.

46. Lynn says:

No wonder Idol is struggling. You have producers who have no idea how to manage this show. Why would you use the save on a contestant (albeit one with stellar vocal ability) who is in the bottom for the third time? Unless there is a major shake-up, he will go home this week, followed by CJ. Why would you not instead give your top 6 an extra week, after you have weeded out the dead weight of those who either can’t sing in tune or lack originality? Unless the next two weeks’ performances have already been determined and Sam outlasts CJ and Malaya/Dexter, it seems like a moot point.

47. marie says:

I’m glad I don’t watch The Voice. Rather ridiculous not allowing voting until late April. Always found that show too manipulated, too stacked towards the producers and mentors; this is just more of the same.

• marie says:

Although I must admit, the few seconds I saw in the video of Sesaundra (just guessing at the spelling) singing the James Brown song – wow.
      But I’m still not going to watch The Voice; I just don’t like the show.

• Name That Tune says:

Sissaundra makes you realize what a singing competition can be if they bring in the right talent . . .

• marie says:

Sure. But she looks like she’d be above Idol’s age limit. I’ve always wished Idol would adjust both the low and high age limits up a couple of years. Then some talented but not quite ready kids would have had to wait a bit and quite possibly have been better. Then again, with Idol’s future uncertain, I guess waiting might have seemed too precarious.

48. Leticia Prado says:

Damn it, I always get his name mispelled, it was Austin whose last name was Wolfe, Sam is Woolf.

49. Timmah says:

I think they chose the wrong Wolf for the finals, no matter how you spell it.