Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Finale: [Spoiler] Will Return

Agents of SHIELD Nick FuryMarvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is bringing back a familiar (if differently accessorized?) face for its season finale airing May 13.

VIDEO | Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Cast: Captain America 2′s Impact on ABC Series Will ‘Blow Your Mind’

In the wake of the very significant events that took place in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Nick Fury will eventually resurface in Agent Coulson’s world, Samuel L. Jackson revealed to New York Magazine‘s Vulture column.

“I just shot the end-of-the-season show,” Jackson shared at the premiere of his wife LaTanya’s Broadway play A Raisin in the Sun. The actor, however, stopped well short of sharing any plot details, for fear of being “fired and killed” by Marvel, he joked.

RELATED | How Will ABC’s S.H.I.E.L.D. Cope With the Captain America 2 Twist? ‘We Were In Shock,’ Says Star

Jackson first brought his big-screen badass to Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. last October, in an unannounced cameo in the ABC series’ second episode.

1. Et al. says:

I’m almost starting to wish I hadn’t quit this show.

• mooshki says:

You can still catch up. It’s gettin’ good.

• Elle says:

You shouldn’t have – it’s really found its footing in the last batch of episodes, and, for me at least, become must see TV.

• Eric says:

I quit after episode two, and just started catching up a few days ago once I heard that it’s getting good. It’s not just heresy, it truly is a pretty good little show now! By the time season two comes around, I’m sure I’ll be a weekly viewer.

• vzsgabe says:

It’s improved vastly in the past couple of episodes. You should give it a second chance and catch up! :)

• Grunt says:

It’s still the same half-assed writing, with barely likeable characters, and everybody constantly praising Skye for no reason… except since we’re approaching the last batch of episodes, it’s starting to move a little, and thus recent episodes look like freaking Emmy-worthy programming compared to the earlier ones.

But still, nothing outstanding, the tie-in with Captain America 2 will be tricky, and it remains to be seen if they’ll be able to pull off some of the serves they’ve been setting up (Hand as a foe, only not really ; Bill Paxton as a friend, only not really… and so on).

I’m not too confident : they can still stick the landing, or totally fail, depending on the writing.

• Just say “it’s a Whedon show. You can’t judge it based on three episodes, you need to commit to the long run and watch at least 30 episodes before the characters and plot mix in well”.

• Mathias says:

Tell that to all the Joss Whedon shows that got canceled before hitting the 30 episode mark…

• Brooke says:

Not really…it took a while for Buddy to move from Monster of the Week camp into storytelling perfection, but Angel found its footing much quicker, Firefly was perfect right from the get-go (whatever the ratings might have said – creatively it’s great) and the unaired pilot of Dollhouse that Fox nixed (it’s included on the DVD set) shows that Joss had the right idea from the beginning, even if the network didn’t let him air it.

• Sure, it took Angel less to find its footing, but in general terms as a spin off it didn’t have much work to do. They replaced a new character (Doyle) with an old one (Cordelia), and brought in another old character (Wesley), both of which had already been established in the original show.

That would be like if they replaced May with Black Widow.

• “in general terms as a spin off it didn’t have much work to do”

Doyle wasn’t replaced because of any planned strategy, it was because the actor playing him was let go because of personal issues, hence the rather hasty replacing of him with Wesley and the need to retool his character for Angel’s tone.

• Come back! It’s not too late!

• Ben says:

This is why you shouldn’t quit on shows too soon. Shows that really hit their stride often get cancelled because people weren’t willing to let them settle first.

• C. says:

I’m sorry but no, I’m not waiting ten or fifteen episodes of being bored to tears juste because they need time to “settle”… For that the characters need to be at least a little engaging, because in the end characters are the heart of a TV show, and S.H.I.E.L.D. did not even have that.
        It’s their own fault, not the viewers’ one for not being willing to wait for more than half a season to watch something that may finally appeal to them a little.

• I gotta say, I agree w/ C.

I still watch S.H.I.E.L.D., and saw yesterday’s episode as well … and I still think it has basically wasted an entire season, and proven really clunky. I don’t blame anyone for giving up on it. When asked if I recommend people watch it, I still say “no, sorry”.

In the recent TVLine poll, I voted for it to be cut. I still think it should, even after this episode.
            If this episode had happened 10 weeks ago … maybe things would have been different.

• Ben says:

Actually, Shield does have that. It also has humour. And the show was finding its stride on both of those notes by about episode 6.

• wingsstef says:

The story was set up since the pilot. Even if some of the earlier episodes were a bit “slow”. I read a review on another site that the “big bad” wasn’t mentioned until episode 5, but that wasn’t true, Centipede was mentioned since the first episode. However episode 5, “Girl in the Flower Dress” was when the series really started to pick up. Episode 6 was a very important episode that shown some character development. That is the episode that made many fans fall in love with the characters. Still, I wonder if Dr. Hall from the third episode, ever shows up again. We ran into Quinn again, but not him, yet.

• Annie says:

Exactly. Plenty of TV shows manage to build a larger mythology and story arc AND be interesting right out of the gate. This “but you have to take the first year and a half on faith!” nonsense is a waste of time.

• You’re missing something good!

• JimC says:

I was wondering if they actually thought they could captivate an audience with a “catastrophe of the week” mentality. They now have a storyline going and the tie ins with the Marvel movies is making this a show to lock into your DVR schedule. It’s really very entertaining.

2. Amy says:

I cannot wait! Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is getting better and better.

3. jenn says:

I have to say also I came back to it. I gave it up for months then heard others say how it was slowly getting better. I am actually excited to see.the new episode and now especially knowing Jackson will be in the finale. More than likely to put the team on their new path.

4. jenn says:

And to hopefully explain a lot more to Coulson with Guardians coming up a few months later

• jenn says:

Sorry that should of also said in regards to his resurrection and our blue alien friend….(kree?)

• canadian ninja says:

Kree would be more interesting and open the possibility that Skye is also. But stumpy in the tank looks very frost-gianty.

• Allen says:

The came out and said the alien in the tank is Chitauri, the MCU’s version of Skrulls – they can’t use Skrulls since FOX owns the rights, part of their Fantastic Four ownership. The Kree, on the other hand, Marvel/Disney still owns the rights to, so they could always bring them into the story at any point. ^_^

5. Juan says:

I’m soooooo excited.

6. jordan says:

I’ve never seen a show try so hard to not be on it own. They are so desperate for ratings bc the show is bad. A Thor episode, two captain America episodes. Now Samuel Jackson again. What happened to this show standing on its own two feet ? And, there hasn’t been one sci fi or superhero show that people don’t say is getting so much better by the end of the first season or second season. So, don’t listen to the commenters. The show is still bad.

• Ben says:

The show is bad because it ties into the movies? That one baffles me completely. Why shouldn’t it tie in to the movies? Why is that a weakness?

• LA Red says:

Because it shouldn’t have to tie in to the movies to be good. It has gotten better but it was so bad in the beginning that it wasn’t hard to achieve that.

• Ben says:

It doesn’t have to tie into the movies to be good. It chooses to tie into the movies to make it have a defined place within the marvel cinematic universe. It doesn’t answer the question of ‘why shouldn’t it tie in to the movies’.

• LA Red says:

You are completely within your right to think it doesn’t have to and I am completely within my right to disagree. The ratings, while decent, aren’t anywhere where they should be. They keep hyping this tie in up to boost ratings. Because it doesn’t seem to be getting the ratings without the tie ins and MU guest stars. I have watched from the beginning but it gets harder every week.

• tp says:

Sorry Ben and Matt but some kind of way I logged into my WordPress account that I never use and it keeps posting with that. UGH. Trynna fix it.

• Bored Now says:

Yes, everyone! Whatever you do, don’t listen to the commenters! What do they know? They’ve no right to be so damn positive. Only listen to Jordan because clearly he knows best and so all other comments in this thread should be ignored.

The whole point of this show is that it ties into the movies. The movies are all connected together too. It’s a live action Marvel Universe. Everything is connected and all the stories interconnect. That’s the point. AoS is doing this because it can’t stand on its own. It was never supposed to.

Besides, how exactly can the events of Captain America 2 NOT cause pretty major ripples for all things S.H.I.E.L.D.?

7. J says:

wished this article didn’t spoil the ending. but in the age of the internet, nothing but spoilers all around.. smh

• MissMel says:

Yeah, it’s really too bad it didn’t say “Spoiler Alert” in the title to warn you not to read it. . .oh wait. . .yes, yes it did. Also, even if you know Fury is coming back, you have no clue what the plot is or WHY he’s there. I don’t know how just knowing there’s a guest star coming on ruins the ending for you.

8. majamababe says:

Saw the movie by accident over the weekend. Events of last week’s episode make so much more sense. Will be interested in seeing what happens in the series now. Go see the movie. Good tie-in between movie and show.

9. James D says:

I’m very glad I’ve braved the storm so to speak with this show. it has steadly improved since it’s winter hiatus and now I find myself itching to see each episode. it still has a way to go to reach it’s potentail but it is very enjoyable as is. can’t wait to see the last batch of episodes. if and when this show is renewed I will happily watch it.

10. MrFantasticsThing says:

I came back to it and binged a lot of episodes over a weekend, its so good now. MUST SEE TV!

11. Mary says:

While I agree with the others that the show has improved (I stuck with it even through the not so great eps), I’m really not feeling the show aggressively pushing the Ward/Skye ‘ship. I like them separately but I just don’t think the two have any chemistry. Now anything involving Fitz/Simmons, I’d be totally up for that. Those two are vastly underused.

12. Mark says:

Maybe someone can help but unlike the rest of the people on here I haven’t been able to see the Capt America Movie and wont get to see it for the next two weeks. And yes that’s not joking but is the show going to fill in some of the story from the winter soldier story as I have tried not to read up on the movie as not to spoil it. As I can not be the only one, and it wont be very good TV if the series if it doesn’t make sense any more if you haven’t seen this movie. As I was really starting to enjoy the series Ncis had now become a DVR option to this, but if I have to wait to watch the movie I might have to revert back to my old faithful.

• Blacklister No.134 says:

I actually have not watched the Thor movie yet understood the crossover and the Lady Sif episode. I do not think this will spoil the Cap Am movie because Thor has yet to be spoiled for me when I get around to watching it.
      I was behind on the series but I went to see the movie this weekend and I had to catch up right away. I think it is going to be super exciting and you should not miss it.

• Marco says:

Since the second Captain America movie has a HUGE twist that concerns SHIELD, it will definitely spoil the movie.

• Mark says:

Well looks like I will have to set the DVR, its a shame. Its going to be interesting to see do plus 7 this because of this. A short explanation at the beginning of show could avoid this.

• Lisa London says:

I agree, it will spoil the movie and you should DVR it. The movie is excellent by the way. Enjoy!

13. Dj says:

Having Fury on the season finale would be the perfect way to set up the second season.

14. Kristin says:

So excited! This show has really found itself with the last several episodes.

15. Aryn says:

Holy Crap – I have heard such great things about this show since I stopped watching after 6-7 episodes…I’m coming back :) Don’t cancel it ABC – PLEASE!!!!!

16. Jason says:

I’m one of those, who has followed the show SHIELD from Day One. The episodes then were procedural on a week to week basis and displaying a new bad guy or crisis each week. During a recent cast interview EP’s Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tanchareon told TVLine that the first half of the season was done purposely to setup the second half of the season. Also, they mentioned that SHIELD lives in the Marvel Movies world but from the viewpoint of non-superhuman individuals. All of the scripts for the show are presented to the teams creating the movies and comments/suggestions are made. As well as Vice Versa. The show now is developing long story arcs and getting away from a new bad guy each week. The show is improving by leaps and bounds. To answer another persons question, yes, Capt America 2 will have an impact on the show. The show tonight will give away spoilers to the fallout of Capt America 2’s ending. I’ve seen the movie and loved it. I’m hooked on the show. I’m watching it now over NCIS. I was DVRing it and watching NCIS but I’ve flipped flopped it. For those who gave up, I understand why you did but that also shows that sometimes if you display a little bit of patience instead of giving up then you wouldn’t have to go back and watch a half season of episodes to avoid being out of the loop. Enjoy all. PS…for those who have to see Capt America 2 still, stay until the FINAL LINE of credit is shown. I meant the literally.

17. The main problem with SHIELD is that instead of being a show set in its own universe ala Buffy, Dollhouse, etc., is that it is set in the highly profitable Marvel movie universe. Thus, it can’t take the same kind of risks that a show set in its own universe can. Also, people that don’t see the Marvel movies are confused by the episodes that directly deal with each movie’s fallout. I watched about a total of 10 eps, and it reminded me of Mutant X (a syndicated show from the late 90’s/early 00’s). The acting wasn’t stellar and the set pieces/action sequences/special effects were even worse. SHIELD is basically little more than a promotional piece for Marvel’s movie universe. It’s the same way with the majority of their comics that they publish now as well. They are creating a whole new wave of characters based off of the Inhumans simply because they sold the rights to their X-Men/ Mutant franchise to Fox in the 90’s. They are basically re-creating the X-Men with the Inhumans in order to try and launch an Inhuman movie franchise in the coming years.

Bottom line is that I am glad that people are enjoying the show and it’s getting better. However, like several other posters I don’t think in this day and age you have to give a show 10-15 eps to find its footing. I am consistently amazed at how good Arrow is and how good it looks based on what I’m assuming is a much lower budget. And this is coming from a Marvel guy (I have roughly 2K Marvel Comics) and have never even read one issue of Arrow.

• Ben says:

And, I would have to say (as an Arrow fan) that Arrow took far longer than Shield to find its footing – it really did take 10-15 episodes.

18. Ms Thing says:

They need to replace the boring Skye character with Maria Hill!

• Jason says:

Skye isn’t boing. Her character is going to turn out to be a key component of the series and all that they are trying to investigate. I like the character of Skye a lot. Tough, smart, Loyal with a touch of rebel…ok more than a touch. No way close to being boring..

• wingsstef says:

Don’t forget that Skye is a 084. Also Maria Hill is too major of a character to be on Agents of Shield on a regular basis. I hope to see her as a guest character once in a while though.

• John NYC says:

Yes, with the early 8-0-4 reveal I’ve suspected they’ve lowballed that character for a surprising pop along the way.

• Greg says:

Wait for it….! They need to replace Skye with Ziva David from NCIS! Bwahahahaha!

19. J.r. Richard says:

This show started off slow then has gotten better and better with each episode. I really hope they order like 52 episodes for next year.

20. Greg says:

I wonder how many of the posters here owned the original “Nick Fury Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D” comics? They featured several characters from the Marvel universe. No one complained. After all that was what they were expected to do!

21. Wayne Van Amburg says:

Spoiler alert:Marvel agents of shield is in the long run the origin story of Adam Warlock! It cant be done in a movie so they will do it in a tv show.

22. adam says:

Although the show is getting better it wouldn’t surprise me if it did get cancelled only because it didn’t keep the promise it made when it started. They said tha more super powered beings would be discovered through out the first season and how non powered humans would deal with it outside three or four episodes everything has been human and scientific rather then super human. Adding deathlock and lori lei is too little too late. Its going to take a small miracle and a leap of faith for the network to take a risk on such a big budget show IS mean after all samuel jackson doesn’t work cheap

• Greg says:

Hate to burst your bubble on “working cheap” but, you will find that there are several actors out there who will work for scale when offered the right project by the right people.

23. spotteddog says:

I appreciate that different people have different opinions on this show, but no way this show gets cancelled. Marvel + tie in to movies + Disney = renewal. No worries.

• Allen says:

Spotted, and previously Greg, are both very much correct. Fact of the matter is, whether you think it’s a great show or not, Disney knows how to work the media. They’re not a trillion dollar a year entity for nothing. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a True Believer. I’ve been Marvel and very much anti-DC since I was old enough to use crayons in a Spider-Man coloring book, I’m a ginormous fan of anything by Joss Whedon, and I absolutely LOVE Agents of SHIELD. It’s what gets me in between the movies. But when it all boils down… Disney has money. Lots of it. Seriously, does anyone doubt that if Disney wanted to, they couldn’t afford to literally pay Sam Jackson any amount of money to, hypothetically, become part of the regular cast of the show? Disney could afford to have a base built on Mars right now if that’s what they wanted to do. If I were a company instead of a person, I’d totally be trying to merge into Disney. Economic gold digger, if you will, lol! Anywho, gotta go watch last night’s episode again. Just can’t get enough Amy Acker! Woot!

Excelsior!

24. M. says:

Thing about Whedon shows, he likes tell big stories. Like reaaaally big stories. And the first few episodes, hell, sometimes the first entire season (yeah i’m talking about Buffy), are mostly just setting up the very basics of the story he wants to tell, it’s like the first forty pages of a book in which nothing is really happening and you get a bit bored. Of course, there are plenty of writers out there that can have hooked from day one, Whedon isn’t great at that, granted, but, in my humble opinion, his shows are always worth sticking around for. I watched the entire first season of BtVS just to kill time, and boy am I glad I did. By the time I got to midseason 2, I loved it, and once I reached S5 it became my favorite show. I stopped watching SHIELD after episode 4, I just kept putting it off, but one day I saw something about it on the internet and decided to give it another shot. Now I love it. Hey, maybe a few seasons for now, it will be my favorite show. I don’t judge you if you gave up on it, I did too, but honestly? It’s gotten so much better, and it’s only going to keep improving, I mean…How awesome was Buffy S7?

25. andychrist says:

i like slow burning , gradual unfolding type stories .
    i think shield is great as it is .

26. TeeJay says:

I’ve been a fan from the get go. The thing is some viewers are expecting a weekly marvel big budget movie. Which is just plain dumb and unrealistic. Also the old “S.H.I.E.L.D. comics from the 70’s and 80’s were never, ever about big named heroes. It was usually Nick fury and his agents fighting HYDRA and AIM undercover. Think more James Bond less Iron Man. In that, the series has been very faithful to the comics. The series also had to stall for time, in order to not spoil the release of The Winter Soldier. There was no way they could even hint at that plot-line, so the writers hands have been tied until now. I enjoy and I’m watching it.. and so are a lot of other people.

• wingsstef says:

It has been getting good the last few weeks but I have been loving the show all season as well. There were clues all season that something was up with S.H.I.E.L.D. The way they did it was great. It’s not just people wanting an action movie every week, but also that many people can’t enjoy suspended suspense. Too many people need their answers right away.