Emmys

Emmy Watch: NBC, Universal Television Put Their Best Faces Forward in 2014 Campaign

And they’re off!

The polls don’t open for another two months, but make no mistake — the 2014 Emmy race is already underway.

To wit, NBC/Universal Television is set to roll out its Emmy campaign this week, and TVLine has an exclusive first look at the “certified” key art starring Parks and Recreation‘s Amy Poehler, The Blacklist‘s James Spader, The Mindy Project‘s Mindy Kaling, Brooklyn Nine-Nine‘s Andy Samberg and Bates Motel‘s Vera Farmiga (Mindy, Brooklyn and Bates are produced by UTV).

PHOTOS | Emmy Watch: 15 Freshman Comedy Series/Stars Who Could (or Should) Shake Up the 2014 Race

Some dates to keep in mind: The voting period begins June 9, nominations are announced July 10, and the 66th annual ceremony is set for Monday (yes, Monday), Aug. 25 on NBC.

Scroll down and peruse the NBC/UTV campaign materials, and then hit the comments with an answer to this question: Are any of the five faces below on your early Emmy wish list?

James SAmy PAndy SMindy KVera F

1. Amanda says:

I was so looking forward to James Spader winning the Emmy for this role. Then came Matthew McConaughey. I really wish True Detective would compete as mini series instead of drama series.

2. bobbie says:

pretty cool ….

3. claudiacostachaves says:

I’m really torn between James Spader (Blacklist) and Benedict Cumberbatch (SHERLOCK S03). Cranston? I don’t think so. Breaking Bad has ended its course.

• Ron says:

Sherlock will very likely (like I’m almost 100% sure likely) compete in the mini-series categories, so you won’t need to feel torn, as you can root for Spader in series and Cumberbatch in mini-series. That said, I really wouldn’t count out Cranston, or anything from BB for that matter. Sure, it has ended its run, but it still has such a presence in pop culture, was a fantastic show on the whole, and easily had one of the best final seasons I’ve ever seen from any series. In my opinion, if they only submitted ‘Ozymandias’ for consideration, I believe BB could sweep — especially for Anna, Brian, writing, directing, and drama series. Not to mention the several other amazing episodes that allowed the other players to shine, and shine VERY brightly for that matter. Spader is really good in The Blacklist, and he could very easily, and likely will get a nomination. But he has an uphill battle for a win, imo.

• claudiacostachaves says:

If memory serves me well, I think you are mistaken, Ron. SHERLOCK has to compete on the series category, since it has recurring characters. Mini-series is closed for the British show, which, IMHO, is a tour-de-force in both writing and acting. BB and True Detective are powers to be reckoned with, no doubt. This coming awards season, the series category will be a battlefield. The game will be most definitely on.

• johnhelvete says:

2012 Emmys. Sherlock was nominated in the movie/miniseries category for Scandal in Belgravia.

• claudiacostachaves says:

If that’s the case, then this year it might be for “His Last Vow”, S03Ep03. Brilliant!

• herman1959 says:

Why does James Spader have “an uphill battle for a win…?

• Ron says:

That is, of course, just my opinion. And by no means am I trying to imply that Spader isn’t brilliant in his role, because he is. But I really don’t think he is a realistic candidate to win against almost guaranteed nominees Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad), Matthew McConaughey (True Detective), or Kevin Spacey (House of Cards). I think he’ll just have a harder time trying to pull off a win against those three. That said, I would’ve never put my money on Jeff Daniels to win last year and he did, so who knows?

• nat says:

james spader has just a good a chance to win as brian cranston, or mcconaughey, or spacey. he is as good an actor as they are if not better.

4. Babybop says:

If Mindy and Parks and Rec get the nominations (and hopefully wins, especially in Amy Poehler’s case) then it will be the first Emmy’s in a while that I will not throw my shoe at the TV….

5. Gerald says:

They should pimp out Hannibal. Now, that’s a series with great writing and acting.

6. Leah says:

James Spader is the only good thing about The Blacklist, but not so spectacular that he merits an Emmy. I will give him credit for pretty much holding up his entire show, but the lead actor race is another league these days.

7. Sam says:

Definitely have James Spader on my nomination wish list. He performs so effortlessly between the absurd and the dramatic on The Blacklist…just a fabulous performance.

• claudiacostachaves says:

According to Spader’s imdb.com page, he has idetic memory. He’s able to look at a script page, click and commit it to his considerable brain. Then, when he gets to shoot the scene, he actually reads his lines off the page in his mind. Rumor has it, he seldom to never fumbles a line. If that’s really the case, not only the character is a genius, as the poster says, but the actor is one, too.

8. oggin it says:

Mindy for sure, but I hope they’re backing Chris Messina as well ’cause he’s killing it.

• Ann says:

Completely agreed!!! Both Mindy and Chris are talented and dynamic and work remarkably well & nuanced within a comedy sitcom. They also both have killer comic and romantic chemistry with each other on the show!

9. Celeste says:

SPADER!!!!

10. Aleksandar Bobic says:

How about Hannibal NBC?Mads is chewing up,literally everyone in his category.

• kirads09 says:

I agree 100% Re Hannibal. Don’t know if UTV owns it (?) Spader is great as Red. He should certainly be included.

But I strongly feel the performances of BOTH Hugh and Mads MUST garner Emmy attention and are superior to Spader (with all due respect). They are both nearly flawless and perfect.
      In fact Emmys needs to take a good close look at the cast in supporting roles as well – Fishburne anyone?

11. N says:

Hannibal!

12. belle says:

James Spader is perfection!! Parks n Rec is endearing! The Mindy Project is so amazingly fun to watch; I wish more people would get on the Mindy train…binge watch Season 1 and catch up on Season 2 ASAP; you will not be sorry you did :)

13. Spencer says:

AMY!!!

14. Fabe says:

Is Hannibal a Universal Television production?

15. Lisa says:

James Spader is phenomenal in Blacklist! He deserves an Emmy. I am gonna root for him!

16. Stormie says:

James Spader but in my heart I wish Andrew Lincoln from The Walking Dead would get some Emmy love but all they will proberby get is a special effects nomination or possible win like every year sadly.

17. Chad says:

How about “Community”?!

18. Hands down, it’s Spader in Spades!!! The depth of his pain and savvy are matched only by his boding compassion for Liz. Mystery has a new color, and it is RED!!!

19. Ruth says:

James Spader in the Blacklist should win. Best show ever on TV!

20. Nell P says:

JAMES SPADER

21. DASHCOM websites are springing up all around the world.
    I am not really a PC player, please anyone assist me to to remove Dell Inspiron password…”
    We usually hear such inquiry around us. The vulnerability has apparently been fixed because
    the interview with Russo happened, and usernames are again safe and secure.

22. Yas Abzhr says:

HANNIBAL. MIKKELSEN AND DANCY ARE EPIC

23. jayne marie says:

where can I get that photo of James Spader

24. Joy Wii says:

Where can I vote for James Spader lead in The Blacklist? Thanks Joy

• carol board says:

BLACKLIST IS ONE OF THE BEST DRAMA’S I HAVE SEEN IN YEARS…..JAMES SPADER HAS PROVEN HIMSELF TO BE A TRULY PROFESSIONAL ACTOR….A REAL JOY TO WATCH…

25. Zoe says:

Where the hell is Mariska Hargitay?! How is she not a front-runner for the Emmy this year?! -flips over an interrogation table-

26. Deb says: