First Look: Castle Grooves to the '70s, Man!

Can… you… dig it?

ABC’s Castle will experience a 1970s flashback on April 21, as evidenced by the boss threads on display in this fresh batch of photos.

RELATED | Castle Casting Scoop: Eddie McClintock. Season Finale. Complicated Past With [Spoiler].

In the episode “That ’70s Show,” when construction workers find the body of an infamous mobster who disappeared four decades ago, the only witness is a man (Raising the Bar‘s Jon Polito) who thinks it’s still the 1970s. To uncover what he knows, Castle, Beckett et al must play into his delusion and “party like it’s the last days of disco”  — in other words, dress like my older siblings back when I was obsessed with Star Wars.

RELATED | Castle Season 6 Finale Spoilers — Why Is a [Spoiler] Being Cast?!

Check out the photos below (it’s scary how much Ryan looks like The Americans‘ Phillip), and I’ll catch you on the flip-side.

1. “they must play into his delusion and “party like it’s the last days of disco.” I like that. I thought the episode was going to be the classic reimagining of an event from the past in which the cast play characters from a different era. This gives it an original twist.

2. Kate says:

Oh man! I’m not really a fan of the 70’s, but these are hilarious! This looks like it could be a super groovy episode. :-)

3. DarkDefender says:

Love it, Matt. Thanks for the Castle intel (as always).. Any more scoop on the final episodes for the season? Are we getting a big wedding, small intimate wedding or postponed wedding? I know you know….. ;)

4. LL624 says:

I’m hoping to be pleasantly surprised by this episode like I was for the ninja one.

5. Stormy says:

I guess the 70s weren’t Castle’s decade either. He’s the least different of them all.

6. jenferner8 says:

Is it weird I was hoping to see Penny Gerald Johnson in a big afro? Seamus looks a little ridicilious, and almost unrecognizable in that wig and mustache. Susan Sullivan looks stunning of course, kind of reminds me of her Falcon Crest days.

7. Laura says:

Esposito looks great , haha .

8. c-mo says:

Am I showing my age if I think that Ryan and Esposito look like Starsky and Hutch? Otherwise, they all look dy-no-mite!

9. Apples says:

Looks awful, cringing already tbh.
    I hated The Blue Butterfly mind. Thought Katic was wooden and very poor in it.

• Mary says:

To me it looks absolutely funny, I´m already laughing just from seeing the photos!:)

But I totally disagree with on The Blue Butterfly, I loved it!

• S. says:

Wow your Stana-hate extended to hating The Blue Butterfly? Sorry to hear that. You seem to miss out on a regular basis with this show. I don’t know why you watch. Beckett’s pretty important to the whole thing, otherwise most of what Castle does and has access to wouldn’t exist. Both Fillion and Katic have to be firing for the show to work and they do. Fortunately her People’s Choice Award for favorite dramatic actress shows you’re in the minority.

10. Karen MT says:

I’m guessing Martha had a hand in the costuming. lol

11. Kendall says:

Looks like they’re working with Da Pino, The Dude’s “Brother Seamus!”

12. James D says:

Classic. LMAO at Espo the fro and the Ron Jeremy stash are too funny.

13. Janet says:

Espo – Pi – Espo – Pi….. Can’t unsee that!!

14. Andrea Aynsley says:

I just want a wedding or that Caskett be married–don’t care how or when but by S6 end or securely together in S7. Not sure if there might be more character deaths based on Stana’s latest tweet ot did she mean goodbye to her colleagues in the literal sense as the season is ending =(

• DarkDefender says:

I’m guessing goodbye for the season.. Since they never find out about renewal until May, last day of shoot is always like a possible last day working together. Plus she is pretty artsy and sentimental from her twitter posts.

15. Pat says:

I loved the 70’s, so I cannot wait for this episode. I hope they play the music from that decade and some disco would be nice. As for the clothes, what can I say except remember the 80’s? Talk about fashion disasters and hair, everytime I see pictures of myself from that decade I want to rip them up. So bring back the 70’s!

16. KC says:

I don’t have very high hopes for this episode. I generally don’t like it when the wardrobe is used for comic effect. Also it’s hard to believe a person can not have a strong enough grasp on reality to not know what decade it is but to be taken seriously as a source of information for a 40 year old murder. The writer(s) better bring their “A” game and I better start suspending my disbelief now.

• Tina says:

KC, you’re certainly entitled to your opinion, but your rationale shows that you clearly don’t know much about mental ailments that affect the memory. It’s EXTREMELY common for someone so affected to not recognize anyone or be aware of what day/month/year it is, BUT have perfect recall of events and people from decades ago. So, yes, this storyline is indeed quite plausible.

• KC says:

Thanks for responding to my comment. I’m a little suprised someone did. You’re right, I don’t know much about mental ailments that affect the memory and that’s probably true of a vast majority of the viewers. That’s why I said the writer(s) better do a good job of explaining the condition. If it’s scientifically factual or not doesn’t really matter to me, so long as it makes sense to me within the context of the story. Especially, why do the members of the 12th have to dress up in 70’s garb when everyone else the witness encounters in the world does not play into his condition? If the writers do a good job of explaining that then I won’t get stuck on the idea that they dressed the characters that way because it’s funny, which I admit, the photos are fun, but not necessarily in the context of the story. Anyway, I pretty much always enjoy Castle and I’m curious to see how they pull it off.

• S. says:

A guy spends years following a homicide detective when he could’ve gotten the same level of info from weeks or months with her at most and this is where you draw the line in plausibility? *facepalm* The writers bring their A game because they love what they do and they believe it’s worthwhile, not because they gotta satisfy some sort of ‘or else I’ll be displeased’ from you. The story got broken in the room and filmed a long time before it had a chance to be brought to your attention so it’s not like there’s gonna be any change to it based on your thoughts. You have to suspend disbelief in any fictional program (and frankly any reality show these days). Don’t act like that’s a great burden. It’s how we all have to be when we hear stories. The world’s been set up. It doesn’t have to be real for you, it has to be real for the rules of the “Castle” world we’re watching. The characters make decisions that work within that context and the writers do a great job working within those rules. Embrace the occasional deliberate goofiness and you’ll have a lot more fun. I’ve been trained in that a long time ago in things like The X Files. The fact that Rob Bowman’s got a lot to do with this show just makes it easier for me, I guess.

• KC says:

Thanks for repling to my comment. I agree with everything you said. I don’t consider it a “burden” to suspend my disbelief and get into the story. As you said it’s a requirement for almost all stories. I was making a causal comment about the use of wardrobe to get a laugh. When that’s done it has to fit into the story in a reasonally plausible way. Otherwise it comes off as a “cheap” laugh (is there such a thing? Any time you laugh it’s a good thing.)
        I love Castle and consider myself a fan. I wasn’t making a threat or warning the show that they’ll have a disgrunted fan on their hands. At worst I’ll just chalk it up to an episode that I didn’t like very much and go on watching the show. I was just making a comment that it takes some real writing skill to pull of what they appear to be doing in this episode. That’s something the writers of Castle have been able to do over and over again and I’m looking foward to them suceeding yet again. After all, one of the major reasons I watch the show is for the writing.

17. June says:

This looks absolutely atrocious.

18. Lori says:

I like the lighter episdoes, so I’m looking forward to it. But I think Beckett’s outfit looks more 60’s than 70’s

19. Sara says:

Yes Matt!! I immediately thought of Philip when I saw the thumbnail

20. Rich Abey says:

Have to say Ryan’s look is my favorite! Of course Martha would be joining the party too…but given that she literally lived through the 70’s, how come she wants to relive it? Wasn’t that the worst decade of all time?

• Nit Picker Jr says:

Nope, the 80’s was (it was so skullnumbingly boooo-oooring). Or the 20’s (for fiscal reasons) … or the 30’s and 40’s (for political/human reasons). I’m sure someone can find reasons for naming the 50’s, 60’s or 00’s, or the current one, the worst evah. For me: the 80’s.

That said, looking forward to seeing Hurricane Martha sweep through the 12th once more. ;)

21. TvPeong says:

It’s great that Castle is willing to be so much fun and not take itself too seriously. More shows need to have a lighter side.

• mo says:

I’m so happy to see comments like this. There can be so much negativity in the comments section and, you’re right, I love the lighter episodes meant to make us laugh. You can really see the camaraderie of the group in these episodes and I so appreciate that. :)

22. barbara says:

preview looks great!!!!! cant wait to see it. watched the repeat last nite and enjoyed it. hope we see some disco dancing

23. a says:

Any word on renewal for Castle?

24. Jen says:

Shot number 4 (Ryan & Espo) made me laugh so hard! Looks good!