Once Upon a Time Recap: Off to See the Wizard

Once Upon a Time Recap Zelena OzThis week on ABC’s Once Upon a Time, we not only found out why the Wicked Witch is green, but also what her reality-changing endgame is. Plus: Regina gives Robin Hood her heart, and the Wizard of Oz is revealed!

RELATED | Performer of the Week Runner-Up: Once Upon a Time‘s Michael Raymond-James

IN THE OZ THAT WAS…. | When a couple finds a baby in the wake of a twister, they name her Zelena and bring her home to Oz. Alas, Dad is none too fond of his daughter’s “wicked” powers, so grown Zelena goes off to see the “great and terrible” Wizard to get answers about her past. The Wizard shows how Cora abandoned Zelena as a baby, then gave birth to Regina to attain royalty status. When Zelena witnesses Rumple teaching young Regina magic, she wants in, so the Wizard gives her silver slippers to click three times to travel to The Enchanted Forest. There, Rumple warns Regina’s sister not to be so envious, as she is literally turning green. And when Zelena goes to kill Regina — only to discover it was a ruse — Rumple says he will no longer train her, as she is disqualified from enacting his curse. “Next time you will choose me,” Zelena warns, before using the slippers to return to Oz.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time: Burning Questions About Neal’s Death Answered!

IN STORYBROOKE…. |  After Neal’s funeral, everyone gathers at Granny’s, where Tink busts Regina’s chops about meeting her soul mate but doing nothing about it, while Hook suggests to Emma that he spend some time with Henry to share stories about his dad. After Henry (conveniently) is gone, Zelena shows up to visit her “little sister” and announce a showdown at sundown. Seeking to confirm the Wicked Witch’s family ties, Regina digs up an old letter that upsets her, and which she later shares with a compassionate Robin Hood. The letter was from Rumple, hailing Cora’s firstborn as the most powerful sorceress he has ever seen — words that Regina oftentimes in the past would revisit, for a morale boost. But now she realizes he was referring to Zelena, and that if his assessment is true, “There’s no way I can win this fight.”

Meanwhile by the docks, Hook attempts to teach Henry how to use a sextant (“Like GPS?”/”Aye”), just as he taught Bae, er, Neal, when he was a boy, er, um, whoops. Henry’s now like, “Cut the s–t, oddly dressed man,” and Hook boils the lesson down to this: Neal lost his dad, too, at the same age you are now. You have more in common than you realize.

Come sundown, Zelena arrives on Main Street ready to rumble, unimpressed with the “savior’s” attempt to step in. Regina finally shows, witch-slaps her green menace, but then starts getting tossed around like a rag doll, ultimately getting hurled up and through the clock tower face. Zelena then goes to pluck her heart… only it’s not there. Regina then crushes her foe with this splendid verbal beat-down: “My mother always taught me, ‘Never bring your heart to a witch fight’ — something you’d know if she hadnt abandoned you.” Defeated, for now, Zelena flies off on her broom, while Regina and the Charmings can only wonder what the Wicked Witch plans to brew with ingredients such as a heart and courage.

Later, Regina meets up with Robin Hood, who was standing guard over her heart in the forest. She explains how she had the idea to use the one asset Zelena never had access to — Cora — to thwart her, this time at least. But to be safe, Regina gives her heart to Robin Hood, to safeguard. He reminds her that she still owes him that drink, an idea that, judging by her smile, she seems more amenable to now.

Meanwhile in the storm cellar, Rumple taunts Zelena that if he could do it all over again, he’d still choose to mentor Regina. Zelena counters, “We’ll see about that,” because she’s not out to cast just a curse. She’s looking for a “second chance.” And in the final Oz flashback, we see her ask the Wizard to turn back time, but he says that’s impossible. Zelena then tears away the curtain, revealing a fumbling carny from Kansas — Walsh! Having no need for him in that form, she turns him inco an obedient flying monkey, vowing to find a way back in time so that Regina is never even born.

RELATED | Wonderland Favorite to Join Once Upon a Time?

Notable quotables:

* “Perhaps I could talk to him?” “About what, leather conditioner and eyeliner?”
* “This isn’t the Wild West.” “No, dearie, it’s the Wicked West.”
* “I think my mother would have told me if she had a love child with the scarecrow.”
* “Out of my way, munchkin.” “I’m a dwarf.” “That’s even worse.”

1. A says:

Hook is useless, he brings nothing to the show. And next week it’s all about him. Tell me this is not favoritism.

• amanda says:

I completely agree

• Mary says:

Yep. All he brings is a creep factor with his spying on Emma while she’s with Snow and Charming at Granny’s.

• Joe B says:

He’s just there as eye candy for the girls. He was useless in season 2 when he failed to kill Gold. The rest is all fan service to teenagers. So over him and his sexism

• Jules says:

Sorry but I’m so not a teenage girl and I LOVE Hook! If you don’t actually see what he brings to this show and to Emma then you aren’t really watching! But you can’t please everyone. I’m so excited for next weeks Hook-centric show that I wish it was Sunday already! Hook has changed more than any other character! He genuinely cares for Emma and wants to be the knight in shinning armor for her but he’s not sure how given his history. I love their chemistry. Both Emma and Hook and Robin Hood and Regina have mad chemistry! Loving where this season is going!

• If you honestly can say Hook has changed more than Rumple, Emma, or even Regina with a straight face, you’ve allowed your hormonal infatuation with the hot pirate in leather to drown your brain cells.

• Addie says:

Yes times a million. Who can say with a straight face that there are more potential plots for Hook over other characters? next week is going to be one of those episodes that I’ll “accidentally” miss and not bother catching up on. And you know what? Hook should have died, that would have actually been shocking and Captain Swan makes absolutely zero sense. Come at me haters, I don’t give a f**k.

• Jo Ann says:

I’m glad Hook is around. Why should he or anyone die? And there are plenty of plots for everyone. Did you not even watch the show tonight?

• RJ says:

Hook is great–and I’m no teenage girl. Thank god they didn’t fan service a few pushy online haters and decided to keep him.

• Uhmm says:

You would do well not to call people with different opinion to yours “pushy online haters”. Just as a general advice, not everyone likes the same characters, that doesn’t make them haters. Are you sure you’re not a teenager?

• RJ says:

When you see the same people pushing hate on a character everywhere again and again–what would you call it? Fine if one doesn’t like a character but come on with this campaign of hate.

What would many of these people call those who did the same to Bae?

• RUCookie says:

Sory – I have no idea if you are new here, but every article on OUAT amasses the same lines about Hook, Hook/Emma or whatever their “ship” is called. It is tiresome, repetitive and adds nothing to the conversation. I read the articles because I like the show. I now just skim the comments because there is no real content added. Just a lot of moaning about some people no getting what they wanted… its TV people!

• J says:

Apparently it’s better that they fanserviced the drooling Hook fangirls and killed off Neal to remove that pesky little obstacle to Captain Swan, eh?

• Some chick says:

Neal is coming back. Michael is still being listed in the opening credits and there are already rumblings of a May resurrection on the show.

• RJ says:

He’s still a regular for whole season even if killed off–so that is why he’s still in the credits. The creators have verified Neal is dead for good AND MATT has also found out and verified Neal is dead for good.

• Stormy says:

Nope. They buried him. Had to, dead you know.

• Britt says:

It’s so unfortunate that fandoms become that way. You’d e think people have better things to do with their time.

• HLong says:

Hook is there for Hook. That’s all he cares about. He went behind Emma’s back and against her wishes regarding Henry/Neal, he throws sexist lines every other episode, he does literally nothing but try to get in Emma’s pants. Useless

• Joey says:

Glad you said it since I’d get eaten alive for actually speaking the truth.

• WTactualF says:

I’m not a shipper, but I think Hook is great. Henry needs a male father figure and I think Hook could be great in that role.

I think those complaining about Hook are shippers who are bitter about swanfire or outlawqueen or whatever ridiculousness they dream up.

• HLong says:

Hook shouldn’t be anyone’s male figure. He calls women sluts, he helped Cora kill a village in FTL, he was an assassin for Regina; he kidnapped, hit and shot Belle; he stalks Emma… If you want Henry to have a male figure -which he doesn’t nee, it’s 2014 get on with the program- he has David!

• abz says:

And Regina has slaughtered a village, curse everyone, murdered Sheriff Graham, played psychological mind games on Henry, etc….
          Snow killed Cora.
          Rumple was the Dark One and murdered Milah, created the curse.
          So you’re point is?
          All of these character have done terrible things and they’re not black and white. You’re holding a grudge against a fictional character for things that happened a season ago. Get over it!

• Joey says:

“Neal left Emma in jail to take the fall for their theft (despite any good reasons he may have had).”

Adam confirmed that’s not what happened, and Neal didn’t know she was going to jail. Hence the later flashback where he said he tried to “lose himself” and he gave August the money and car to give to Emma.

• Addie says:

Snow killed Cora because if she hadn’t Cora would have went and killed everyone in Snow’s family. And probably would have made Snow watch before finally killing her too. Neal let Emma go to jail because he thought it was the right thing to do and it would get her home to her family. The big difference? Both Snow and Neal apologized for their actions and expressed remorse for them. When has Regina or Hook ever expressed actual remorse for their actions (Rumple has seemed genuinely sorry at times, especially around Neal)? When have they ever gone to their victims and given an actual apology that didn’t sound like it was being forced out of them (like Hook’s “apology” to Belle in the last episode)?

• abz says:

Okay my mistake. I remember Emma said something in this episode about Henry knowing his father left her in jail and I must have mixed up the facts. But excluding that example, my point still stands.

• abz says:

Going by the Charming’s logic for most of this show–Killing is wrong no matter what. That’s the reason why they kept saving Regina and never killed her all those times when they had the chance and that resulted in so many more deaths. So regardless of intent, Snow still did something bad in killing Cora.

• WTactualF says:

He has a checkered past, like most of the characters. But I think there is redemption in him helping Henry find his way. He clearly wants to be a noble man. I think you should give him a chance.

Henry needs a male figure who can be there for him. David, while noble and heroic, will have a baby of his own soon, so he won’t have as much time for him,

• Jo Ann says:

I thought Hook was great with Henry tonight. I’m not even a fan of Henry, but I think he does need someone in his life. Rumple is no good for him. Here’s hoping David could also be a little more involved.

So much bitterness….

• NTG says:

I’m not a teenager and I love Hook’s character. He is one of the best characters on the show according to many of my family members and none of them are teenagers either.

• Oh well. says:

Well, I haven’t watched this ep and going by the recap and comments, I made the right choice last week when I decided to quit watching until this show gets its sh-t together. Hood has been there for like 5 minutes and he already destroys the character of Regina, Emma is getting boring, Neal’s dead, Rumple’s grandeur is – literally – caged, and do not get me started on this waste of screentime and storytelling that is Hook. Can’t he scratch his balls and be gone already?

OUAT is taking the Glee route… poor writing, character assassination, contrived plots/dynamics, male focus and fangirl *squeaaaaaals* pandering. Recipe for disaster. And we know where this leads.

• Joey says:

I said elsewhere that OUaT got Blaine’d not long ago. No one believed me. :P

• Oh well. says:

Ooooh, “you got Blaine’d”. I’m keeping that one in mind. It’s like being Punk’d, only worse and not for laughing purpose. Thanks ;)

• Jo says:

I’ve made this comparison before, too. Hook is the Blaine of Once. Heather Locklear has also had this affect on shows I formally watched. Plus, the writing is just terrible anymore. Makes me think they were plotting the season out while enshrouded in a cloud of pot smoke.

• jenferner8 says:

Emma has been boring from almost day one. Hook’s interest in her is the only interesting thing about her, however, I don’t really get what he sees in her. His scenes with Henry are always really good, but then Colin has chemisty with just about anything.

• Tonyd says:

Emma is my favorite part, she’s the lead of the show, the whole thing is her journey, how can she be boring?

• Katherine215 says:

I don’t know about boring, but she can certainly be unlikable at times. She gave Henry up for adoption, now she’s the only one who knows what’s best for him? She throws the Savior card around when it suits her, but won’t embrace a life in Storybrooke with her family? I could go on. I mostly like her, but she is definitely NOT the greatest character a lot of the time.

• Stormy says:

For me the only remotely interesting thing about Emma last night was that she was rocking the Billy Gibbons [ZZ Top] outfit.

• Jessie says:

Are we even watching the same show? Once is getting great right now. All this complaining about Hook destroying all the characters is just rubbish!

• janet says:

I agree. I’m baffled by the Hook hating. This show is as good as it has ever been. There are several interesting plot stories outside of Hook & Emma. I don’t know why people are over focusing on that. I like every story they have going right now INCLUDING Hook. Maybe some people are still upset about Neal?

• Paz says:

Okay, calm down. It’s just a TV show.

• Jo Ann says:

Hook is great and I’ll be watching next week. This show always takes turns telling stories about different characters. It’s not all about Hook.

• Ariadne says:

He bores me because he serves zero purpose to the show except stupid one-liners to hit on Emma, which she usually walks off from. Tonight he was a babysitter. Woot…

• abby says:

I haven’t seen the promo for next week but when you say it’s all about Hook do you mean it’s it all about him in the sense they’re covering his back-story next week because no that’s not favoritism that’s the format of this show. All of the main characters have had multiple episodes that were all about them Hook is not special.

• Verity says:

I agree! The only connection he and Emma have is a physical one, nothing deeper. I miss Neal.

• Melissa Burton says:

He is a good actor and if your a woman he is good to look at kinda like Jack Sparrow aka Johnny Depp. Calm down its only a tv show looking for good ratings and a renwal. Captain Hook along with Emma gives the audience fiery, funny entertainment and that’s what shows are suppossed to do entertain

2. Melanie says:

Better put Regina and Hood in the next shipper’s edition!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Fo sho!

• Joe B says:

Nooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

• HLong says:

Can you not?

• Ariadne says:

Can you not and say you did? She met him when he tried to shoot her in the head with an arrow and the next day gives him her heart. I was over it before it started.

• John NYC says:

It’s called “meeting cute” in the bizniz: they’ve just about all had that storyline: look at how and when “Charming” got that name, it WASN’T an endearment right?

• Adam says:

True. Although Snow didn’t exactly pledge her undying love to him the next day or give him her heart (or insert anything of symbolic meaning here). The flashbacks didn’t go in order so you see that they weren’t exactly flirting over whiskey 5 mins after meeting. And I see you’ve taken an intro film class, cool story bro. :)

• John NYC says:

Intro film class?
            Nope, did go out with a UCLA film school grad for a while. Though; first date sailing with someone subject to enormous motion sickness? SO not “meet cute”.

• janet says:

i was jumping for joy that she opened up to someone finally.

• Joe B says:

UGH NO!

• Really says:

After she gave him her heart, despite not knowing each other? This gotta be the most rushed relationship going on. I don’t care if they are true love, I still expect some build up. I ship most couples on the show, but I just can’t get into Outlaw Queen or how t’s called.

3. abz says:

Such an awesome episode. Loved every minute of from Zelena’s backstory, to Wicked vs. Evil showdown, Henry/Hook/Emma, Robin/Regina. It was all really great and I really think that they’re doing a wonderful job with 3B.
    Definitely wasn’t expecting that Walsh reveal or that she wants to create a second chance. Can’t wait till next week.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Right? I was thinking, if not Rumple (which would have been a huge yawn), it would just be some random guest star (like, I dunno, Joel Grey). Never thought Walsh. It’s a day of surprises when the long-lens paparazzi can’t intrude!

• abz says:

I know! I thought that Christopher Gorham’s guest stint was just for one episode. I loved that I wasn’t expecting it. Here’s to hoping OUAT keeps getting better with the surprises with their “big” reveals.

• Girl in MD says:

I kinda freaked out at that reveal was not expecting the Wizard to be Henry Grubstick! This episode was excellent loved all the developments with Zelena’s backstory Lana Parilla was great in this episode loved the red gloves vs green gloves!

• Anthony says:

I saw Gorham’s name in the guest credits, so assumed we’d see the origin of the flying monkey … but did not expect him to be the Wizard. Nicely played, Once.

• GeoDiva says:

As soon as I saw his name in the credits, knew he was the Wizard.

• Ariadne says:

They released the bts photos a couple months ago with Chris Gorham standing around with Mario Van Peebles, JMo, Lana with her red gloves on, etc so I knew he would be in the episode. I WAS shocked he was the wizard however. :)

• JM says:

I predicted this when it was announced that he was going to guest star on OUAT.

• El says:

in general, I don’t often see complex plot twists coming and like reading recaps and such because it clues me into details & subtleties I might have missed. But in this case, after I read an interview with Adam & Eddie where they were asked if Walsh was only in the first episode, and their response was, “you’ll have to watch and see”, I just had a feeling in my gut, that Walsh could/would be Oz. No idea why, but it came to me when reading that interview.
      In the words of Barney Stinson “Self five”!

• janet says:

I agree 100%. They absolutely got me with the Walsh reveal. I love all the stories they’re pursuing this season. Go OUAT!

4. Joe B says:

So disapointed. I thought this was going to be a Zelena vs Regina centric episode, isntead we got so much Hook and Henry and Robin Hood to make me want to quit the show. As an Evil Regal I don’t understand what they are doing to Regina on 3B, everything about Outlaw Queen seems forced and incredibly out of character from her.

Also disappointed that they didn’t really play tribute to Neal. That funeral was less dramatic than the one they held for Archie and he was only a cricket/shrink!

And the dialogue this episode was terrible all around. And next week is all about Hook? I’ll wait until 3×18, written by Jane Espenson, her episodes are always good

• Michelle says:

So much Hook and Henry? I’m sorry, were we watching the same episode? Their screen time added up to maybe 7 minutes altogether. And Robin Hood was only in scenes with Regina where he was helping her mentally prepare for her fight with Zelena or attempting to give back her heart. It was a Zelena vs Regina centric episode, but they are going to show other characters at some point during it. That’s kind of how this works.

5. Mary says:

Poor Doc’s Miata got trashed again. He complained about that in the first half of the season and tonight we saw what he meant.

• Adam says:

Yeah, let’s not worry about that HUMAN BEING that got thrown into the hood, let’s just worry about the car.

6. Alichat says:

Once Upon A Time + Zelena = Bored now

7. Jip Lance says:

I’m kind of frustrated because I thought Regina was going to be sneaky and take Rumples dagger during the fight. She had the perfect opportunity! Just like when the wicked witch was wrapped in flames. Belle totally had the chance to grab the dagger.

• Me says:

Or take the wicked witch’s heart!

• gdv says:

My thoughts exactly. I was expecting Regina to take Zelena’s heart during Zelena’s confusion of Regina’s heart not being in her chest. She had the perfect opportunity! It was a bunch of hoopla for nothing. Sigh. They’re dragging it out way too much.

And Matt—you missed the best line of the night! When Snow is with Regina in Cora’s vault and says something like “Are you sure it’s safe for us to look through your mother’s things? I don’t think a sleeping curse would be good for the baby.”

• Everleigh says:

My thoughts are that perhaps they have set it up for Robin to be the one to steal the dagger…especially since he’s already shown Regina he can take something from under her nose without her realizing it.

8. OUATFan says:

Interesting to see where this goes. If they are using Once Upon a Time in Wonderland’s magic rules isn’t changing the past one of the law of magic that you can’t break?

• Uhmm says:

Those are Disney’s rules, Aladdin’s to be exact, but Rumple did list them off when he was teaching Regina. Cannot change the past, cannot make someone love you and cannot bring someone back from the dead.

• Name This Tune says:

So what’s the loophole here?
        Because it’s Zelena’s plan to change things. I If she can’t change the past, maybe she can change the perception of the past. Like getting everyone to forget a whole year.
        We’ll see how this plats out.

9. Robert says:

I was a little disappointed that we did not get to see more of The Emerald city but I guess that will happen during May sweeps. I do wonder who is Zelena’s. father? I am thinking back and I could have sworn the only royal Cora had eyes for was Regina’s. father and that is around the time she met Rumple. I was starting to think maybe the other Royal was Snow’s. father,as revenge against Snow’s. mother but that theory has holes, he would remember knowing Cora when he met her to thank Regina for saving Snow.

10. Anna says:

I kind of expected/wanted Whale to be the Wizard since I watched The Doctor from season two. I thought there were enough hints for him to be the Wizard. I’m fine with Walsh though. I wasn’t expecting him even though I thought Christopher Gorham was too big of a name for just one episode.

• Stormy says:

I’m wondering, given Emma’s past with Walsh, if his character will improve and he will step up and end up with Emma.

11. david says:

i really enjoyed this episode. I hope it pays off

12. Addie says:

If Zelena changing the past messes up Snow and Charming, I will seriously quit until it gets fixed.

13. Ebee says:

I think Joel Grey would have also been a nice touch for the wizard! If only…

• no one puts Zelena in the corner says:

@Ebee’s, Thank You for making the suggestion of Joel Grey as the Wizard, as I had totally forgotten that he was the original Wizard in the Broadway production of Wicked!!!. Honestly, HOW have Adam & Eddie not secured him as a guest character for OUAT 3b?!? Joel Grey is still acting on TV shows and has been involved with two or three projects that work with the story of Oz, so its a great fit. It would be amazing if they could make it happen & he doesn’t have to play the wizard, just a cameo. Actually, it would be fun to have actors who have played a past version of a character currently having their story told on OUAT, to have a bit part or a cameo within the evolution of the story. just a thought

14. HLong says:

This is like #SaveHenry all over again, in which most of s3 wasn’t about saving Henry but about Emma dealing with two man-child fighting over her and Tink starting her pro-Robin Hood campaign. S3B is promoted as WickedvsEvil but mostly we are getting Robin stalking Regina and appearing in the right places, at the right time, and Hook trying to woo Emma — again. No Rumbelle, no real farewell to Neal, no Henry/Regina…And Regina entrusting her heart to a stranger she just met but not entrusting the letter to Emma and Snow? It makes NO SENSE. This episode was mediocre at best

• Louise says:

No Rumbelle? They had quite the scene in the storm cellar. Of course Zelena popped up to interrupt, but I thought up until that moment it was a very nice scene for them.

• Kre says:

Actually if you think about it, Regina giving her heart to Robin Hood was pretty smart. Zelena is looking for her heart, and the first people she would more than likely go to would be Emma and Snow. The last person she would think about going to is Robin Hood.

15. Sarah says:

I am this close to quitting the show. I am really sick of Hook and I am really annoyed with how out of character Regina is with her scenes with Robin. She gives this stranger her heart? What the hell?! She’s known him for three seconds. *rolls eyes*

Whatever.

It’s getting to the point that not even Lana Parrilla can save this for me.

• Will says:

A stranger? He’s not only the man that Tink told her was her soulmate all those years ago but she’s clearly felt drawn to him in this episode and the last. I wouldn’t be surprised if more happened between them in the Enchanted Forest last year than we realize, and that that’s why, just like when Mary Margaret and David felt drawn to each other in season 1 but couldn’t explain why. It was the submerged memories.

• Adam says:

One day, she’s known him for one day. If they were more to each other in FTL, neither remember that. Again, she gave her heart to a stranger she has known for ONE DAY!

• Rachel says:

Yeah, and David was totally prepared to leave his wife and change his life for Mary Margaret after knowing MM for a few days and after waking up from a COMA. They’re all drawn to each other.

• dthomas74 says:

You are obviously missing the point of Regina’s transformation. Throughout the show she has been on a journey to change herself and her life choices for Henry. She knows that Robin Hood is soul mate thanks to Tinkerbell. Why should she not give him her heart. Catch the symbolism there? I do wish she would keep some of her spark though and not be so beaten down by that crazy Zelena. She still can whip out some of her evilness when necessary!

16. Little Red says:

I love that Regina literally gives her heart to Robin Hood! They have good chemistry! Zelena on the other hand isn’t as threatening or scary as she should be :/

17. WTactualF says:

Why the Hook hate? I don’t get it. Are you guys a bunch of bitter shippers or something? Ugh, get over it.

• NTG says:

I didn’t get it at first either. Now, It’s pretty easy to see that it comes from the Emma/Neal shippers.

• WTactualF says:

Ugh, shippers. Why can’t they just watch a show and enjoy it without getting pissy over romantic couplings.

• Jen says:

That’s the biggest joke I’ve ever seen. Because Captain Swan shippers all react with such maturity and grace.

• WTactualF says:

Shipper wars are ruining this show. ALL shippers just need to calm the F down. It’s a fantasy show ffs!

• Mark says:

First off I don’t ship anybody — if Emma ends up with hook so be it — but tonight was just creepy in the fact that he’s hitting on her literally just after her baby daddy’s been buried — now that’s low… Him talking to Henry about his dad sort of redeemed him but then to try his luck again while Neil hasn’t even been buried two days come on this now seems forced… If they have to be a couple at least don’t force it on us at every opportunity. Let the story develop naturally like Belle / Rumple — Ragina / Robin you get my drift.

• Stormy says:

Not really. I couldn’t stand Neal as any regular on here will confirm. But IMO Hook is a weak, self serving, conscienceless pig. He took Milah away from her child [how could a man love a woman who would do that?], was physically abusive, lethal etc to Belle, he has no morals whatsoever.

• Katherine215 says:

I’m sorry, “took” her? I’m pretty sure she left of her own free well. If she wanted Bae, she could’ve taken him with her, it’s not like Rumple would have been much of a threat at the time. Blaming Hook for Milah leaving her son does not make sense.

• abz says:

Thank you. It’s like all of Milah’s actions are Hook’s fault. It’s ridiculous.

• Stormy says:

So, in your estimation a man who would love a woman who abandons her only child has scruples? Talk about adjustable ethics.

• abz says:

“how could a man love a woman who would do that?”–> How could a woman continue to love a man who ripped out his own wife’s heart and crushed it into pieces in cold blood? How could a woman love a “beast” who has killed hundreds of people to serve his own selfish need to find his son no matter what the cost?
          Bottom line, these aren’t perfect characters. They all have their problems and their flaws.

• Stormy says:

The subject before us is Hook. Rumpy is a separate conversation, and I’ve never condoned Rumpy’s past acts.

LOL…
            No I actually think Rumple/Belle apply perfectly in this situation. So many people “never condoned Rumpy’s past acts” yet they are so willing to forgive and move on and accept him as a changing man, but they constantly vilify Hook despite efforts to change and move on from revenge…(insert rebuttals about him only changing for Emma…………**eye roll** considering how Rumple for the majority of the show so far only truly changed for Belle and his son and not really much from his own desire to be good ["You owe me a favour"] until this past midseason finale when he sacrificed himself to save everyone).

• Stormy says:

Only politicians and people who can’t answer the talking points seek to divert the conversation to another area.

• abz says:

It’s not really “another area” though. I used Rumple as part of my example to illustrate that they’re both villains who have been or are currently on paths of redemption and both are examples of characters being held to different standards by the fans and not treated equally. One is pretty much forgiven for past-doings and the other is never even given the chance by some people (as evidenced by you bringing up some of the things he did decades and even hundreds of years before). Anyway, it’s your choice not to see it.

• Mark says:

@Stormy @abz @Katherine215 All the characters have all done things they aren’t proud of, its part of the story. The topic that started this thread though wasn’t if Belle and Rumple where moral or if it was an act of revenge. I was hinting the fact didn’t anybody else find it cold and in poor taste that the dust hadn’t even settled on Neil’s grave and Hook was trying to hit on Emma. or to take the current characters out of the equation. If you are after your Bests friends wife or girlfriend and the best friend dies you aren’t going to go and chat her up at his wake (like in the show). Like I said in my original post it just seemed creepy and low. And now totally forced if they have to be a couple let it develop not hammered down our throats so it becomes unbelievable.

• abz says:

@Mark I never saw that as flirting or hitting on her. All he was doing was trying to briefly comfort Emma and since he knew Neal there was a better chance of him helping Henry understand what was happening.. And if you wanna get technical, I don’t think they showed anyone talking at all during the funeral scenes.

• Sara says:

Anytime I see a recap of OUAT posted, I make some popcorn and settle in to watch the shipping wars fly.

• OUAT lover says:

LOL the Hook hate is ridiculous. I think you’re right, it IS bitter shippers – bitter Emma and Neal ones. And the occasional Belle and Rumple shipper complaining about their screentime.

I’m so glad I don’t get involved in shipping. Even if I am enjoying Hook and Emma.

• Adam says:

I can only speak for myself but, I don’t care for Hook at all since he started “wooing” Emma. I mean, that’s his only role on the show at this point. P.S., I’m not a shipper, I just don’t like him.

18. Louise says:

Awesome. I enjoyed all of the surprising turns, from Walsh being the Wizard to Regina taking out her heart out and actually using her “heartless mother” as an advantage, and of course Zelena’s endgame plan being revealed. Although the prospect of time travel always has me a little nervous too, but then we’re not quite there yet. For now Regina’s heart should be safe.
    Rebecca Mader was once again impressive as Zelena and I really liked her dynamic with both Robert Carlyle in FTL (Rumple got some great zingers too) and Lana Parrilla in present day. And boy, you can tell that’s Cora’s daughter right there. Cora was a hothead and she certainly pased that on to Regina, but Zelena takes it to a whole new level. The way her anger and bitterness manifested itself in her voice and entire body language during the witch fight and after she realized that Regina had tricked her… Rebecca Mader did a great job with that.
    I would have maybe liked to see a bit more of the fight, but I can imagine that these things must be rather difficult to film and even more so if they’re not working in a green screen studio. Would have appreciated some more Tinkerbell scenes as well, but there was so much going on that Regina was right about having other things to discuss than Robin Hood and his lion tattoo. ;) I do love those two, though. Robin pickpocketing from Regina was another little highlight and the snark between them is always fab. Lots of nice chemistry between the actors too and I won’t even pretend that I didn’t melt a little when Regina literally offered him her heart. Only on OUAT. ;)
    I wasn’t all that into the Hook and Henry stuff, partly because I think the show glossed over a lot with regards to Hook and Neal and their past this season. But off the top of my head that’s honestly the only thing that didn’t really work for me in this episode.

• HLong says:

As much as I love Regina when she’s not being ooc, I’m loving Zelena. Bex has been an incredible addition to the show. Too bad in making her so crazy -like Pan- she seems irredeemable and will probably disappear on 4×01 :(

• WTactualF says:

OOC? Umm it’s called character development. This is canon, not fanfic. The writers can evolve her as much as they want and it’s not OOC.

• Joey says:

So you’re saying that if the writers opened the next episode by having Regina attempt to make out with Belle, that wouldn’t be out of character? According to what you said, anything that the writers put out for us to watch is “character development.”

• Britt says:

Yeah, unless they say otherwise.

• missvci says:

Regina making out with Belle would be OOC, but for Belle too. But Regina slowly (and yes despite others outcries, it is moving slowly) opening up and literally giving her heart to Robin Hood is character development. Remember this is a woman suffering from a broken heart, and wanted nothing but love. The reason she adopted Henry was so she could have something to love. And she know Hood is supposedly her true love, so she is proceeding with caution but characteristically intrigued by this romantic prospect.

• Joey says:

@misscvi: I’m not arguing about Regina’s feelings for Robin, I’m just arguing WTF’s ridiculous assertion that the viewer is supposed to take and swallow anything a TV writer throws at them without question.

• Louise says:

One more thing I forgot to mention: Major kudos to Mario van Peebles who directed this episode.

19. Jennifer says:

In a show with flying monkeys, dwarves that hatch from eggs, and tasers that apparently conduct through wood, I haven’t seen anything as ridiculous as Regina Mills literally giving her heart to someone she barely knows. A close second is Captain “I sold your father out” Hook bonding with Henry. Thank god for Zelena and Rebecca Mader.

• WTactualF says:

Except that he’s her soul mate. And I found the Hook/Henry interaction endearing and honest. Are we watching the same show?

• Jennifer says:

Exactly. Being declared a soulmate via pixie dust is apparently the only reason and it’s not good enough. It is a plot device being used in place of showing actual character motivation. And the Hook/Henry scene was only endearing because it left out a huge chunk of truth and it is incredibly difficult to accept Hook’s fondness for Bae when it was never shown in Neverland. It was shown in 2×22 and then completely dropped until the last two episodes when it became convenient again.

• WTactualF says:

So negative. Why do you even bother watching?

• Jennifer says:

If you read my original my post you will see that I quite enjoyed the Zelena storyline as I do many other facets of the show. That is why I watch. That does not mean that I can’t dislike other parts of it. Nor does liking a show mean that I shouldn’t critique it. Feedback of all kinds is a valuable part of the creative process.

• WTactualF says:

Yes, because the course of the show hinges in your feedback. Please, go on. Tell the writers what you think so they can be sure to cater their scripts to your desires. I would hate to see you dislike any portion if this fantasy show.

• Francine says:

Come on, now you’re being downright RUDE. Jennifer made some valid points and didnt resort to ridiculous shipping comments to make her point (which seems to be your beef with people).This is a comment section, for both good and bad ones. That’s part of the fun of discussing these things. People are allowed to not like certain parts of the show and shouldn’t be ridiculed for that.

• Jennifer says:

@WTF actually Adam Horowitz responds to fan feedback on Twitter all the time, including several tweets of mine and he has specifically said that he values feedback, including criticism. Do I think my opinion is going to singlehandedly determine the course of the show? Of course not. But our feedback is heard and it is not unreasonable to think that it may be taken into consideration at least in some small way. Furthermore, a critical discussion among fans has its own intrinsic value regardless of the impact it may or may not have on the show itself. I don’t know why the idea that I might not love every aspect of the show should be so disconcerting to you or why the genre of the show has any relevance.

• WTactualF says:

@Jennifer – just because you are the loudest and most outspoken doesn’t mean you are the majority. I don’t stalk the writers on Twitter, so they probably have never heard my feedback. I love the show, love the writing and am enjoying the entertainment.

• Joey says:

@WTF: Actually what the writers think of the show really has no bearing on what the viewer thinks of the show. Remember how the writers thought that by having Tamara kill The Dragon and August with a stun gun we, the audience, would automatically assume that it was a “special stun gun” without question so they wouldn’t have to explain it? They think things all the time that the viewers are allowed to both question and disagree with.

• WTactualF says:

@Joey- no I don’t because I literally started watching this show like three weeks ago. I just take things for what they are – entertainment.

I’ve learned my lesson from other shows, if the writing is bad or I hate the plot, I just stop watching. I don’t really see the value in shipper wars or nitpicking every single plot point.

• Jennifer says:

@WTF I don’t know who this “you” is that is supposedly the loudest and most outspoken but nowhere did I claim to be part of a majority. I love the show too, just not every single part of it. If you do, good for you. If you are 100% satisfied with the show and dissenting opinions are as insignificant as you claim, then they should not matter to you and we can all carry on.

• Britt says:

Who would think to find Regina’s heart with Robin? I think it was a great idea! And yes he is her true love, so he can be trusted.

I don’t know what all the hate for Hook and this season in general is coming from, but geez give it a rest…

• Britt says:

Also I was hoping for a Regina/Robin kiss, but I assume we have to wait until May sweeps :(

• Jennifer says:

There are plenty of places Regina could have hidden her heart. Even being “true love” should not be an automatic seal of approval for someone with Regina’s trust issues. And where did I say I hate Hook? I hate crap writing. There’s a difference.

• Nat says:

I don’t understand why you’re so upset about this at all. Robin Hood is not some random stranger. He and Regina spent an entire year together in Fairytale Land and last week the show established that although they may not remember all the details they feel drawn to one another and being together gives them a sense of deja-vu. It’s like back in season 1 with characters like David and Mary Margaret.
          And leaving her heart with Robin Hood was a smart choice in my opinion. She can’t trust the Charmings with it because they’re not the sharpest tools in the shed and they and Henry are the ones Zelena isi going to check for it first. Leaving it around somewhere is not a good idea other. Look how well that worked out for Cora. But Robin Hood is not on Zelena’s radar as far as we know, he’s a man of honor and someone Regina feels she can trust. It made total sense to me.

• Jennifer says:

It is a far leap from being drawn to someone to trusting them with your most vital organ which could be used to control or kill you, particularly for someone with Regina’s history and trust issues. She could have magically protected it somewhere or left it with, say Tink, who is actually sort of her friend.

• Heather says:

I disagree that it is out of character or unusual. Regina has been progressing towards this since her redemption arc began. She’s known about her true love for decades. She’s had a lot of time to reflect on her choices and become brave enough to take a step towards happiness.

She knows Robin is her true love, so she knows he won’t try to use her heart against her. It was also a symbolic way of saying she’s ready to move forward and be happy.

• Jennifer says:

I agree wholeheartedly that Regina is progressing towards opening up to love and I am all for it. She may have known Robin was her true love for decades but her redemption only began at the end of season one. Since then, she has made progress but it has been slow and painful, with setbacks along the way. And it has been a joy to watch. So to see her seemingly sprint to the finish line within a couple of episodes? Where is the emotional payoff in that? The true love label is an excuse that is being spoon fed to the audience rather than actually showing a character motivation for why Regina would open up to Robin Hood in particular. Between that and the heavy-handed symbolism, if this is indeed Regina’s happy ending then it lacks any and all subtlety or nuance which is a complete shame for a character as layered and complex as Regina.

• Heather says:

I think her motivation is simple – she wants to be happy. It’s hard to change, so I think it’s easier for her to open up to a stranger who happens to be her true love over say, Snow. She’s known Snow for so long, but as one thing. I think it’s hard for her to be vulnerable with people who don’t necessarily expect to see her in that light.

I’m all for the slow burn, but I like the current pace. Probably because I feel like they have been talking about this forever, so it’s nice to see there’s finally some movement on this front.

• evansk says:

Regina can protect her heart with magic, yes. But magics can be traced by others, not to mention that Zelena is a much more powerful witch than Regina, and with the dagger, she practically rules the magics

20. J says:

What’s really dumb is that it wasn’t REgina’s fault and yet, Zelena is jealous of her. Well so what… Get a grip. This is turning into another teenage soap opera drama… I can’t have what you have because I was abandoned and you had everything.. I hope that future episodes are much better. Even the Neverland story line was much better. Peter Pan wanted the heart of a true believer, whereas Zlenea is envious. Get a grip lady

• Addie says:

It’s interesting how closely it resembles Regina hating Snow for something that Snow had little control over.

• Me says:

This is not ment to be an insult, please do not take it that way. Are you an only child? I ask because the bitterness that Zelenia exhibits is an extreme that can manifest between siblings. The oldest works hard, but they believe the youngest is just given what the oldest worked hard for. Or the oldest believes they should have gotten something first, but the youngest gets it, can lead to feelings of jealously. Is Zelenia an adult and need to move past her hurt, of course. But the motivation behind her actions is very real.

21. Bianca says:

Loved this episode! Although I really hope we aren’t setting up for a time travel to the past for the end of S3, into S4 storyline…I really don’t want that.

Loved Regina giving Robin Hood her heart,my favorite part of the episode!

• A.B. says:

I think you hit the nail on its head. I read somewhere that both A&E say that if they could get Jamie Dorian back as the huntsman than there would be a way to do it at the end of this current season. What better way than going back in time.

22. lifeofmytime says:

Wondering how Robin Hood’s Lion tattoo figures into this. I would have thought his courage as the Lion would be more valuable than Charming’s. Courage, heart… Zelena will need a brain next, yes?

• AnnieM says:

Hmm. From Belle, maybe? I mean, all the book reading and such, she’s the first to come to mind for me.

• Adam says:

Zelena has Rumple’s brain, remember?? She has Charmings courage and now needs Regina’s heart.

• ComeOn! says:

Thought the Lion of the tattoo represent England. Too lazy to look up whether it’s red lion or red dragon on the old England flag. I thought his tattoo was something he had in memory of him went off to fight along with the king for the Holy War. For king and country or something like that.

• AnnieM says:

Wasn’t Robin Hood loyal to King Richard the LIONhearted? I thought that’s what it referred to. ::shrug::

• Adam says:

I believe in OUaT, they are going for the Lion being related to the Charming Family Crest, which has a Lion that Hood has a tattoo of on his wrist, flowers that Emma has a tattoo of on her wrist, and a red arrow that points from the Lion to the Flowers.

23. Wouter says:

Funny how all te haters mostly hate the show only for one ship or something. Not everything is about shipping people!

• abz says:

Agreed. I really like CS/Hook, but there was so much more going on in this episode that it was barely even about them (it was actually more about Henry). Yet, the minute the man shows up on screen they start getting their keyboards ready to spread the hatred. People just need to get over it and move on. I hate how these comment sections have turned into Glee. Despite all of the Blaine/Sam hate, they are still there and staying and all of the complaining didn’t do a single thing about it. Hook is a series regular and that isn’t changing for the time being. It’s an ensemble show with so many characters. Find some parts of the show that you actually like and just enjoy them!

• J says:

I hate the show now because of the constant dropped characters and storylines and the character annihilation that is used to further ships that don’t make any sense. Shipping is a byproduct of crappy writing. Remember when Hook was a bad guy and actually fun to watch? I’m not here for him stalking an apathetic Emma and trying to get in good with Henry before Milah’s son’s body is even cold. Ugh.

• abz says:

It’s not considered stalking if she actually has no problem with him and welcomes him being there.

• J says:

The problem is, she’s not exactly welcoming, is she? If you consider all of Emma Swan’s facial expressions when dealing with Hook over the last two seasons, she’s given him…one smile that wasn’t sarcastic? And that was before she kissed him…and when he brought up the kiss later and started getting all moony-eyed over it, she was back to rolling her eyes and telling him it meant nothing.

Emma’s non-reactions to Hook are deliberate, they’re intended to bait the CS shippers, and they work like a charm. But the people who insist she really enjoys his company are all clearly smoking something.

• abz says:

Emma’s tough and can act for herself. If she didn’t want Hook around she wouldn’t let him within an inch of Henry, let alone trust him enough to allow him take Henry out on his boat.

• Adam says:

@abz Adam and Eddy stated in an interview that Emma finally gets a friend this season that is not her mother. I think she wants to be friends with Hook, that’s why she allows him around but as soon as he oversteps his bounds or flirts with her, she rolls her eyes and walks away. That’s what my tv shows me at least.

24. Tai says:

I don’t get the Hook hate at all. He’s definitely not done the most evil on that show but whatever. To each their own I guess. I actually enjoyed the Hook/Henry parts and the Regina/Robin scenes. They made the episode. Zelena just isn’t an interesting bad guy to me. I just don’t feel a connection with her. Every other villain on this show has had an interesting backstory but really, you’re jealous? That’s your deal? I’m going to need more because right now I’m not invested in her at all.

25. Ana says:

I don’t think I’ve ever come on these recaps and people weren’t whining about something. It’s either the neverland arc or the Zelena arc or the excessive Hook. No one is ever satisfied. Is this ship-driven or????

• WTactualF says:

Ikr? It’s a fantasy show ffs! It’s as if some people think this is THEIR life or something.

If it entertains you then watch it, if not, go find something else to watch… Quit bit©hing!

• Oh well. says:

… says the person who responds to every opposite opinion on this comments section. Ahem.

• WTactualF says:

Yeah. I am a fan of the show, but it’s not my life and I don’t give a flip who Emma dates. I’d like to see the show continue and not be ruined by morons whose life revolves around who Emma Swan ends up with.

• Adam says:

Says the person who has been watching the show “only for about 3 weeks”. *cough cough*

26. jenn says:

Sigh…..I think we all know how this is going to go.. Robin has her heart. Zelena will see them together at some point and figure out that Robin is her weak spot. She’ll use Robin to get to Regina and probably end up killing him, or will succeed in getting her heart.

I REALLY REALLY hope that doesn’t happen….She needs her happy ending. Plus I like Robin Hood.

27. Brandy says:

I mostly liked the episode except the Regina/Robin stuff, not feeling them.Liked getting Zelenas backstory and it’s interesting how she’s both Dorothy & Wiked Witch of the West.So she wants to turn back time, but what does she want with Snowings baby?This Wicked arc is far better IMHO than the Pan/Neverland arc,the Enchanted Forest present arc & the Greg/Tamara arc.Rebbeca Mader is great as Zelena.If Zelena had been raised by Cora, she’d realize Regina’s life wasn’t such a picnic.

28. LemonLime says:

Aaaaaaanybody noticed that the creators gave a great nod to the original Wizard of Oz by making the shoes silver instead of Ruby???? Anyone?? Bueller??

29. Name This Tune says:

Overall, a good episode. They did enough pandering to the shippers to keep them at bay for another week while giving us Zelena’s back story. It was well paced. There’s a way for Regina to beat Zelena, but I wonder what happens if Zelena somehow manages the to do steal Regina’s place. Because magic always comes with a price.

30. Jess says:

That Rumbelle scene broke my heart! If they could have kissed then true loves kiss would have worked!!!

• Katherine215 says:

Worked on what? Rumple isn’t cursed, Zelena holds the dagger that controls him. Kissing Belle wouldn’t have magically made it fly out of Zelena’s hand and into Belle’s.

31. kate says:

So I’m distracted by this point and go with me that Rumple was lying with his confirmation test because that is clearly pre Belle time and Bae might still be around maybe Zelena isn’t related because how would Walsh know?

32. Michele says:

She has no heart but she flirts? Either sloppy writing (which I don’t find the OUAT does on the bigger plot points) or Robin is about to be a thief after all.

• Stormy says:

IMO Flirting isn’t about heart, it’s about ego. Someone flirts to get a positive reaction which strokes their ego. it’s not about love and it’s not about sex, it’s about approval.

33. MGJ says:

Why are people having a hard time with Regina giving her heart to Robin Hood. After all, she knows that the is supposed to be her soul mate as prophesied by Tinker. I would understand people rejecting the plot line if Regina wasn’t aware of the prophesy.

34. DarkDefender says:

First of all.. Great recap, Matt. Well done.
    I did not see it coming with Auggie, Ah Walsh as OZ, but I did get the courage from David meant the next items being a brain & a heart. I just thought maybe Snows heart (pure) or Henry’s (he believes) or even the savior Emma. But Regina’s heart? Totally thought Emma might become Dorothy (Henry is toto) who would travel to OZ.. Which makes even more sense now that Walsh is OZ, cause something tells me he did love Emma that year and ultimately will help her. Which leaves us with our Stroybrooke librarian (with the brains). Even though, right now, Belle makes a great candidate for supplying the brains.. How I wish Alice, Cyrus and the Knave would stop in and join forces. (I really do miss a Wonderland already). Alice is more brainy and clever with puzzles after all…

35. AnnieM says:

Maybe someone can answer this for me, I may have missed something. Since Regina cast the spell that altered Emma & Henry’s memories, why is it that she can’t make a potion, or cast another spell to restore Henry’s memories? o.O

• Adam says:

It was part of her casting the curse to take them all back to FTL to escape Pans death curse, remember? She didn’t just provide them new memories, the curse wiped their memories of SB so Regina gifted Emma with a happy life.

36. Luli says:

Didn’t expect the Walsh reveal at all!!! The one liners were amazing, and I loved the episode! Next one looks good.

37. Caroline says:

Still not loving Zelena! And I didn’t love Pan! Once needs to change whoever is casting the villains because they aren’t good at it! Use whoever cast Regina, Emma, Snow and Rumple!

• abz says:

I somewhat disagree. If it’s one thing the show does almost consistently well is with its casting department. The only casting that I can remember off the top of my head that I personally think they completely failed at was Kristin Bauer van Straten as Maleficent (totally destroyed the awesomeness of that villain) and Michael Raymond-James as Neal (didn’t embody the character well and poor acting in the role).
      I think Robbie Kay was amazing as Pan and Rebecca Mader is doing a great job as the Zelena/Wicked Witch.

• J says:

Abz, you’ve got it completely wrong. Neal and Maleficent were great characters played by great actors they brought a bit of realism to the show they made things believable. Pan and Zelena are poo

• abz says:

“Pan and Zelena are poo” –> Seriously, how old are you?
          And no. Kristin Bauer is great on True Blood, but her cutesy and pink performance of Maleficent completely destroyed that villain. Also, MRJ was great on True Blood as well but his performance as Neal was a very lazy one IMO.
          We can agree to disagree.

• Stormy says:

I totally agree with you. Maleficent should have been played by Bebe Neuwirth or someone like her. And if I get started on MRJ as Neal Matt will be all over my posterior.

38. Caroline says:

Love Hook bonding with Henry! Glad Regina has accepted that Robin Hood is her soulmate even if she hasn’t done anything about it yet except give him her heart! Looking forward to more Hook and Emma!

39. Honoria says:

This episode was FANTASTIC in my opinion, i totally enjoyed it.

Matt, how on earth do you put up with the amount of haters here? I’m getting exhausted already and I’ve only read 10 comments.

40. Dd says:

Zelena wants to travel back in time? Should we start worrying before or after her nose starts bleeding?

41. Ana says:

Thanks for the article, Matt :) Everything Once is always appreciated.
    This week’s episode was not as grand as last week’s but I still really enjoyed it!!

I have to say that Zelena’s backstory was very interesting but it didn’t make me more undesrtanding towards her…envy is so much harder to relate to than anger after a huge loss has been suffered. But I guess we’re not supposed to relate to her – she’s the villain and she’s awesome at that :)

I’m already such a huge fan of Killian Jones but every episode makes me appreciate his character more. I loved their scenes with Henry. It was so visible that Hook genuinely cares – not just about Emma – but about Henry. There was a moment there where we could actually see that flicker of recognition in Hook’s eyes when he saw Bae in Henry – Colin O’Donoghue is a truly gifted actor.
    For some unfathomable reason there are people out there who dislike Hook, to put it mildly. But I really don’t get that. He’s been nothing but sincere and selfless ever since he turned the Jolly Roger around in the S2 finale. He has proven over and over again that he is interested in Emma’s happiness and would do anything to contribute to that – whether he gets anything in return or not. And I don’t just refer to him saving David (and not intending to tell anyone about it) or the fact that he instantly told the Charmings about Neal being alive in Neverland or even being the one who crossed realms to find Emma in NY and save her from a life based on lies. It’s a million little things he does all the time, being a true friend to her. Advising her not to go down the same path he did after losing Milah is just one example of that – and such a huge admission of remorse. Unlike Rumple who has not shown any regret over killing Milah, or Regina who openly stated that she has no regrets, Hook is acknowledging past mistakes and making amends. So since I LOVE Rumple and Regina – how could I possibly not love Killian Jones?
    People who don’t see Hook as the man of honor he clearly is when it is being spelled out for us on screen on a weekly basis are missing a whole lot. Killian Jones is a fantastic character, flawed and real. More than anything he’s fueled by love and he always lets his actions speak louder than words. The fact that he respects Emma and always gives her the space she needs to make up her own mind and decide what she wants is remarkable. As is his quiet determination to push on even when Emma’s walls are so insanely high.

I can’t wait for next week!! Hook centric episodes are always very layered and so well written. Finding out HOW and WHEN he managed to cross realms to find Emma is something I’ve been dying to learn. So I’m hoping that Adam and Eddy will never stop giving us Killian Jones – he is very (!) much loved and appreciated.

• Nat says:

I don’t understand this Rumple vs. Regina vs. Hook thing many of you fans have got going on. Rumple and Regina have admitted that they’re villains and that they’ve done terrible things. That none of that has made them happy and is a path they would advise. Remember Regina talking to Tink about that very topic in Neverland, for example, preventing her from going down the same road she did? I understand wanting to defend your favorite character. What I don’t understand why fans often have to drag other characters into this and try to make them look worse to prop up their favorite.

• Ana says:

Oh, I actually completely agree with you. It’s just that whenever I read negative comments on Hook people very often try to compare him to Rumple and Regina and make him out as being much worse. That’s something I never understood. I appreciate you pointing that out.
        Every character on Once is a character in his/her own right and should not be compared to others. It’s just hard to undertsand how people can easily defend clearly villainous acts but hate on someone who’s never gone down such a dark path himself.

• AnnieM says:

Just a side note, but I would really love to see a moment of OUAT Hook reacting to a picture of the Disney version of Hook. That could become classic. :-D

42. Nat says:

I liked it. Zelena is a fun villain. Totally insane but fun. I’m happy she’s no longer pretending to be a nice person. So she has Rumple’s brain and Charming’s courage. Now she needs Regina’s heart. I wonder if the blood she had the flying monkey take from Regina in the midseason premiere will come into play again too. I’m excited for this story and that’s why I was disappointed when the promo showed some pirate story with Hook in the next episode. I would like to see more of the year the other characters spent in the Fairytale Land. We saw too little of it so far. But maybe the week after.

43. Pat says:

I thought it was very clever, how they made Zelena, Dorothy. I never saw that coming. Some parts of the show seemed a little slower then others but that happens and I still enjoyed it. I almost started to feel just a little sorry for Zelena but when her backstory progressed, wow. Just take the “W” away from witch and insert a “B”. Blaming Regina who knew nothing about having a sister, well that is downright wrong. What about her mother, where is the hate for her? Also, who is her father. I guess that is another storyline that we have to wait for.

• J says:

Zelena wasn’t Dorothy

• Pat says:

You are probably right, J. I thought about it after I posted the comment. Zelena is the Wicked Witch of the West, so I wonder which female character will have the honor of eventually putting these shoes on and tapping them 3 times so they can return home, I would think to StoryBrooke?Also, the Wicked Witch of the West had to die in order for the shoes to have been worn by Dorothy, so does this mean Zelena will die???

• Stormy says:

Glinda has been cast. And since she is the one who gives the slippers to Dorothy when the WWW dies, we don’t yet know who Dorothy might be.

• A says:

Zelena certainly had a Dorothy-like aspect to her — brought to Oz by a tornado, given the slippers, unmasked the Wizard. So I think it’s a fair comment. After all, Ruby is the Wolf, Rapunzel was her own captor, etc.

• Gail says:

I think of Zelena as the Wicked Witch of the East. She was the one who had the slippers when the house fell on her. Glinda then gave the slippers to Dorothy and the Wicked Witch of the West was trying to get the slippers back. At least that was the movie story. Was the book different?

44. Rachel says:

I absolutely loved the episode. One of my favorites. The Regina/Robin scenes were perfect (I really don’t see how they are considered OOC), and the showdown was intense. I can’t wait for next week!

45. mary says:

So this is what I am thinking. All of this is my own speculation, if you’re not into reading speculation I highly suggest you don’t conintue reading this.

My apologies if I am duplicating someone else’s thoughts, I don’t have the patience (sorry) to read through all the comments.

Anyway after last night’s show, it appears that Z wants to turn time back, or at least go back in time to make sure Regina was never born. Not that she wanted to make sure Cora didn’t abandon Z as a baby, because it’s not that she wanted to be raised by Cora, it’s that she wanted Rumple to choose her. First off, if you can go back in time, wouldn’t you go back and NOT try to kill Regina, therefore showing Rumple she won’t let her jealousy “become” her? So it must be something where she can’t really go back in time, but can make it so Regina is not born, therefore leaving Z to be the only witch that Rumple can use for the curse (so she thinks anyway). OK, so far so good. it looks like she needs a heart (and I guess it has to be Regina’s), needs courage (has Charming’s already) and needs a brain. At first last week I was thinking maybe she’d take Belle’s brain as Belle is a “researcher”. But last night I was thinking about it more. First off, why (other than it would not make any sense as a show) bring all the FTL people back to SB if Z’s ultimate goal is to make it so Regina is never born? Because it’s NOT Belle’s brain (or a brain of anyone from FTL) that she needs. It’s EMMA’S brain. If she needs Emma’s then she needs Emma to have a reason to go to SB – therefore she brings everyone back, she sends Hook a note and potion to get Emma. Then I was thinking “well no, she had Walsh in NYC to watch Emma. Then again maybe it was to make sure Emma stayed in NYC. I also wonder if Walsh – even though he was under control of the WW, said that thing about how Emma couldn’t leave it alone (or whatever he said right before he turned into the monkey) meaning that he didn’t want her to leave because he knew it was a trick by the WW to get her to go back to SB.
    My other theory is that Hook is working with the WW and is in cahoots with her. As you remember Hook said himself back in S2 that he’s all about whatever furthers his own goals. He may have found out about the WW’s plans and aligned himself with her to get Emma back to SB so that he would not wind up dead, or worse, by WW’s hand.

Anyway that’s my theory/theories. Will be interesting to see if it plays out that way.

46. mary says:

Also I am curious if the reason the magic shoes (slippers, whatever they are called) were silver because red ones would be a trademark or copyright violation? Or are there more than one magical pair of shoes?

47. Melanie says:

So glad to finally have my questions concerning Zelena and her agenda answered! Thank you, OUAT for giving that bit of information! Also I was shocked that Regina gave her heart to Robin! She literally put her heart in his hands! Yay! Well, yay for now anyway! I adore Regina and I want her to find happiness for at least one episode! I like Robin Hood because of his relationship with his son. He loves that little boy and shows it. I would so love for Regina to be apart of that. May she please have love and happiness for real in at least one episode? Maybe two, if it is not asking for too much?
    Oh and for the love of fettuccine will somebody please take that dagger from that wretched witch? I am so sick of her and that blasted dagger and seeing Rumple under her control! *screams*

48. Mary says:

I really liked this episode! It was great to finally see OZ and to find out that Walsh was the Wizard!! I was not expecting that at all. The graveyard scene was beautiful but also sad b/c Rumple didn’t get to attend his sons’s funeral.
    I really like the Regina/Hood dinamic, idk why people think it is ooc for Regina, I mean, we saw how difficult she was in the EF when she first met him. But now she’s gotten back the thing/person she loves most; so, of course she’s a little bit more open to the idea of love. And you can’t deny the chemistry between Lana and Sean, it’s amazing!!!
    Now the scenes with Hook and Henry were really sweet, why’s there so much Hook hate, I’ll never know… Even though Emma is so guarded you can see the pull between them and it goes beyond physical attraction, she just trusted her TL/heart to Hook. She thanks him but doesn’t even touch him or addresses the huge elephant in the room and he’s still there, by her side, man I really love this couple.
    Anyway, thanks Matt for the recap, brilliant as always! Looking forward to your scoop on the next episode!!!

49. jerrired says:

Overall, I though the episode was just okay. I think I expected too much with Zelena’s background storyline. I expected it to be more interesting, especially why she loved Rumple. I get why Belle loves Rumple, but he has zero personality appeal to me as The Dark One, but I guess we’re supposed to assume that Zelena is so desperate for love and attention that she lashed on to the one person who showed interest in her. I did love the Walsh as the Wizard twist. I do like the idea of Zelena’s plan succeeding, because then we’ll at least get to see how people’s lives would have been different. I’m a sucker for a good “what if” episode. But I hope it is just an episode or two, and that’s not what next season is about, trying to put the timeline back. I don’t think that’ll work for an entire season.

I was happy to see Tink back, and wish the episode played more on her relationship with Regina.The reveal of their past was one of my favorite parts of the first half of the season. Since some of the spoilers suggested Hook is being set up or actually working with the Wicked Witch, I’m hoping next week we find out what’s that all about.

50. wrstlgirl says:

And this is why I do not ship. Oy Vey!!! Now more importantly, I’ve had one foot out the door for a long while now with this show but I’m happy to say that this Wizard of Oz story line has me interested again. I’m really enjoying it.