Report: Fox Considering Wife Swap-Style Reality Show With Struggling Couples, Fantasy Setting

Fox-couples-retreatFameosexuals, update your audition reels!

Fox is mulling a pilot order for Couples Retreat, a new reality series in which a struggling romantic duo will “agree to go on a fantasy weekend with the opposite-gender partner of a similarly matched couple,” our sister site Deadline is reporting.

In the early 2000s, the network made waves with a series of unorthodox dating-competition shows, including Paradise Hotel, Temptation Island, Joe Millionaire and Mr. Personality. (Ahhh…good times.)

Couples Retreat, which is reportedly in the casting phase, comes from a creative team headed by Chris Coelen (Lizard Lick Towing, The Taste, Betty White’s Off Their Rockers, Secret Millionaire).

Any interest in Couples Therapy, as a participant (ha!) or viewer (hrmm)? Sound off in the comments!

1. thatdude says:

And yet Raising Hope has left the building…lol

2. Name That Tune says:

They’re reaching for anything that will draw in younger viewers.

3. Larc says:

It sounds duly trashy. Maybe that’s an audience element they will be going after as well.

4. Allyson says:

This is the result of executives running out of ideas for shows. I will not be watching.

5. This sounds truly nasty.

6. Cheyenne says:

Tacky, tacky, tacky…

7. Boiler says:

Most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Wish ABC would dump theirs. Can someone at FOX explain why they think this is a good idea??

8. Elyse says:

FOX please no.

9. Et al. says:

Eh. I’d make a comment about the end of society or something… But when your highest rated show of the entire week is Hell’s Kitchen season 46, you can hardly fault a network for getting desperate.

10. Aries says:

Please, no – this is a terrible idea!!!

11. cuius says:

Please find another adjective to describe these shows – their relationship to the real world is minimal

12. lindasays says:

Ew.

13. CK says:

Let’s be honest, this show is basically, “Screw your way to 15 minutes of Fame” because that’s all that they want. How many tearful cheating confessionals are we going to sit through before this thing gets cancelled? The worst part is that it’s probably going to haunt us all for at least a year after the show ends, w/ magazine covers and entertainment stories about the couple that makes it or cheats on their partners and come together.

• Alexander says:

Zero. That’s how many tearful cheating confessionals we’ll sit through. Because no one will watch this crap.

14. Forwardad says:

The apocalypse is truly upon us brought to you by Fox TV with limited commercials. -.-

15. kate'shomesick says:

disgusting…but wasn’t there a thing like that on MTV….with like ….exgirl/boyfriends….and their current partners???

16. Anne says:

So instead of talking to your partner about whatever problems the relationship is experiencing you agree to go on a vacation that is basically encouraging you to cheat? I think I’d dump anyone I was dating who even suggested going on this show…or watching it for that matter!

17. Cory says:

I hope they’ll pass. I have bad memories of 2002-2006ish when it comes to FOX… super trashy reality show, another super trashy reality show, a great scripted show…canceled!…another trashy reality show. FOX has come so far since then, and right now is my favorite broadcast network, they have changed their habits a LOT in just a few short years. Don’t want them to get another trashy reality hit and bring back the 2004-05 season (where all but two or three new shows were REALITY!)… I will have faith.

18. Ahhhh, that’s the Fox I remember!

19. meatwad says:

this sounds like a leftover MTV dating show idea. I ignore most of Fox’s reality shows and this will be added to the list. I do miss Moment of Truth though

20. Allyson says:

Here is an idea: lets get back to scripted tv. Remember in the old days when we had more scripted shows than “reality tv shows? I know reality shows are cheap to produce, but that doesn’t mean they should be produced! This is just another show that shouldn’t make it to the air.

21. GeoDiva says:

This is disgusting!

22. Excellent blog! Do you have any hhelpful hints for aspiring writers?

I’m hoping to start my own website soon but I’m a little lost
    on everything. Would you suggest starting with a free platform like WordPress
    or go for a paid option? There are so many options out there that I’m totally confused ..

Any ideas? Thanks!

23. kirads09 says:

Fox – NO. Please don’t shove any more “reality” crap at us. Just NO. How about renewing Enlisted for those fans instead? Or coming up with an original QUALITY scripted show? Even more Animation Domination would be preferable to this.

24. Sean says:

It looks like FOX is going back to doing terrible reality shows since most of their scripted series get terrible ratings. However, I don’t think that this is the right alternative.

25. Jess says:

Totally lame idea. I wouldn’t watch those pathetic people.

26. Eliza says:

I would rather watch an hour of Enlisted and Raising Hope…. *big sigh*

27. Francine says:

Sometimes I can’t believe this network airs the very enjoyable “Sleepy Hollow”. Who would have guessed…

28. Elle says:

Sleezy and gross. Yuck.

29. Geo says:

Meanwhile, you can bet the news division of the Fox empire won’t say a single word about this, while continuing to attack the marriages of longtime committed gay and lesbian couples.

30. Why would people do this? If the relationship was struggling, why not send couples on a romantic weekend with their OWN partner?

• maria says:

I agree, maybe some of the couples that can’t afford to get professional help can be sent on a real therapy couples retreat

31. maria says:

So they address trying to make ratings off of couples that are already havin
    g problems and pushing them into infidelity and divorce. . I will not be watching this either.

32. maria says:

BTW, which of the producers or directors are thinking about the children of these couples that only want their parents together and happy so they can be a family!

33. maria says:

Fox use to be a channel with my family:(