How I Met Your Mother Alternate Finale Ending Will Be Included in Complete Series DVD Set

HIMYM Alternate EndingHow I Met Your Mother‘s series finale featured one of the most polarizing conclusions in sitcom history, but it looks like disgruntled fans might get a second chance at happiness, as an alternate ending will be included in the complete series’ DVD release.

RELATED | HIMYM: 13 Questions We Still Have About Ted’s Future, Robin’s Other Job, Bob Saget and More

The alternate ending, our sister site Deadline reports, is simply edited differently than the version that made it to air and does not contain any additional footage. That said, an insider describes version 2.0 as a “happy ending.”

HIMYM‘s co-creator Carter Bays confirmed the inclusion of the alternate ending on Friday, tweeting:

If you didn’t like the finale, I guess that happens. We tried something and it didn’t connect with you. I hope we’re still friends. So anyway, here’s a bit of news: 16 days ago today we were in the HIMYM edit room, trying to decide between two very different endings. We only shot one script, but through edit room magic we had two possible outcomes for the series. We chose the ending we chose and we stand by it. But we loved the other version too. We’re going to include that version on the Complete Series DVD as an alternate finale to How I Met Your Mother.

Bays also tweeted a first look at the complete series’ packaging:

Though it’s not yet known exactly how the alternate ending will be edited, one fan-altered ending — which removed the mention of Tracy’s death, as well as Ted and Robin’s reunion – was met with much approval when it went viral earlier this week.

How do you think HIMYM should have ended? Browse our gallery of the finale’s biggest moments below, then drop a comment with your dream ending.

1. troll says:

Silly crap.

2. GuessWhat says:

CBS should do the right thing and AIR the alternate ending. Ha.

3. Cyn Mackley says:

That last episode killed all of my interest in the show. No repeated viewings like I did with friends. I feel the entire series was a set-up for a gotcha. (which I guess I should have been able to figure out after years of viewing) I would suspect the alternate ending would involve Marshall and Lily and their kids being killed in a car accident.

• partisan says:

I saw it coming too but I just could not believe they would actually go there. Haven’t watch a rerun since, not going to watch the spinoff. Bye bye Bays/Thomas.

• Don't Bother... says:

You are right! I used to watch reruns in syndication nightly, now I can’t watch it knowing how it ended. I’ve also told a few friends who said they were curious to watch, not to bother.

4. J. Norman says:

This decision makes the writers look like a bunch of caving wuss’es.
    Hey guys, own up to your original decision.
    This reminds me of the creators / writers of House who took their show in a horrible direction in the last year and 5 episodes or so, but at least they stood by their actions.

It didn’t help the HIMYM writers that they were too successful in casting the mother. She came across as tremendously likeable.

5. DM says:

Look at it this way. Imagine if Rachel never got off the plane and Ross wound up with Emily again. That’s just how bad this ending was for HIMYM.

• CeeCee says:

Bad ending for Friends that will match with this is if Rachel ended with Joey instead of Ross. Joey was always there during the pregnancy and the beginning of Emma’s life. Yet the writers have longer time to ‘fix’ this point of view and make people shipping for Ross and Rachel again. Yet I do recall a lot of people were complaining about this and hoping that Rachel’s with Joey instead, so well…

6. Claire says:

It looks like a lovely, well put together package, too bad they didn’t put as much care into the finale itself, or should I say, into knowing their audience better. Unfair to say? Perhaps — but when a long running show gets the reaction it received, clearly there was a disconnect between show runners and audience.

Amazing how 1 rotten finale can kill DVD sales.

• J. Norman says:

Not to mention the potential to negatively impact syndication reruns.

• NoChance says:

I hadn’t purchased any of the Season to Season DVDs figuring I’d wait for the box set. With that series finale I’m very glad I didn’t buy the DVD’s as the came out and I most certainly won’t be buying the box set.
      I’m really glad I got to see the fan made video (several times) before it got taken down because it was just wonderful.

7. Midsummer says:

Yeaaaah, I’m not shelling out money for DVDs for this sad, sad last minute marketing ploy.

The finale was so weak in so many ways, and all the characters so poorly written and horribly regressed to season 2, there’s no WAY to make that finale watchable without additional scenes (or a huge chunk of it being re-written, really). Unless it’s about five minutes long, tacking something like the popular online recut onto the end of the episode preceding the finale, there’s just nothing workable THERE.

A re-edit of a terrible script is still going to be terrible.

8. Lindsey says:

I’ll wait for the alternate ending to be on YouTube. I’m not wasting my money on it. Even with an alternate ending, they still ruined the whole show, and it’s hard to forget that. It’s a sad thing when the fan-made endings are more popular and liked than the actual ending.

9. Blacklister No.134 says:

Someone will just put up the alternate ending on Youtube so I am sure this marketing ploy will work on people who hated the finale and felt it made the last season a joke because the wedding ended in a divorce anyway.

10. Christian says:

You guys are the biggest babies. I’ve been so disgusted this week by these so-called HIMYM “fans.” Waah waah!

11. B says:

I enjoyed the finale. I always assumed the mother was dead. People loved it or hated i! It will be remembered!

12. Lara says:

The fb, website, twitter accounts run by the network are seeing all this backlash.. HIMYM is a brand that they want you to buy into. Happy fans buy DVDs, the brocode books, himym related clothing, etc. etc. If they don’t like the product anymore they won’t buy anything that you put out. Which effects DVD sales, and also the fate of HIMYD. If fans are displeased they are not going to watch HIMYD. I will probably not watch HIMYD due to the extremely poor execution of the finale. I am not going to be invested in a show run by showrunners who have no problem of assassinating character development in order to justify an ending the characters had clearly outgrew. (Maybe they work out, maybe they don’t. I honestly don’t care anymore) With negative feedback they are getting there is a chance that the Network is actually the ones pressuring them into a different cut finale with a more “satisfying outcome” because they want these people for ratings for HIMYD. So the fans are complaining in venues that the network clearly monitors (poor interns) to get their opinions heard. So of course they are going to make an alternate ending that you can only get on the special edition series box set.

• Don't Bother... says:

I agree with you Lara, I think this is from the Network, not the creators. Creators just happen to sending the message out.

13. Scott says:

Massive fan of HIMYM and not a big fan of the ending I must say but the creators made everything right in the end…what do I mean? Tracy’s boyfriend died and in season nine we see her ask was it time to move on while looking up to the sky and from season one there was a part of every fan out there that wanted ted and Robyn…by letting the mother die she gets to be with her first love and it leaves ted the same opportunity with Robyn…well played HIMYM well played…

14. JB says:

I’ve never seen a series that had less respect for its audience.
    Guys, the name of the series was never “How met your STEPmother”.

Sure, it worked out in the end (as long as you’re not the dead mother) but I the whole point of the series was to have those two end up together in the end, then why not have Robin and Ted get together a few years back?

Most of you are probably too young to get this analogy, but it was like the old Bonanza TV series, any woman that got serious with any of the Cartwrights was bound to be dead before the closing credits. Only here, they let “mom” stick around for a season.

I think the writers/producers liked the drama they created when they killed off Marshall’s dad and wanted to make an attention grabbing “statement”.
    And as already pointed out, they writers had the Robin and Barney characters take huge steps backwards…Robin ditching her friends for her career and Barney reverting to his old horn-dog self.

Yes, we know that comics like to be self indulgent with drama (witness Robin Williams career) but it’s not a good idea to string along a loyal audience and reward them in this way after 9 years.

I would say that the producers will never be trusted by audiences again, but with the money sitcoms make these days, they probably don’t care…they’ve already got their Malibu estates and are hoping that more suckers buy the DVDs.

• baffled says:

It also wasn’t titled “We All Lived Happily Everafter.” People die. They get divorced – a marriage based on one person changing the very core of his being can never succeed. What you are all calling character development in Barney was just that. He loved Robin, he wanted to be “normal” for her; but Barney was a player to the bone, and both he and Robin ended up miserable. Robin loved Barney. She also ALWAYS loved Ted. She was afraid to love him. She knew he would give up his dream for her and she couldn’t live with that so she told him she did not love him. Yes, Robin was selfish (frankly they all were) but in that instance she was selfless. It was a good thing – Ted met Tracy who turned out to be his soul mate and had she not died they would have had a lifetime of love and laughter. She did die. People do. Even young people. After six years of grieving, how nice to be able to move on with one he already loved and has a history with.

• anna says:

And I’ve never seen a series that has such entitled arrogant fans.

• JB says:

If you think a show that drags out meeting “mother” for 8 years and 180 episodes, then shows her for the last 20…only to kill her off in the last 10 minutes shows your respect…you have some very SERIOUS self esteem issues. :)

Really, I hope your boyfriend/husband/partner treats you better than that. :) :)

15. baffled says:

Plus, I am old enough to get the Bonanza reference and I think it’s a poor analogy. Tracy is the only one of Ted’s women who died. For the Cartwrights it was any and every woman any of them built a relationship with.

16. I am amazed at how obtuse the fans of the ordinal ending are being. You like it. Great. But you are in a small minority. The creators need to do something to fix the fact that many fans were turned off. They have a new show they want to get viewers for! And DVD box sets to hopefully sell.

And it doesn’t matter how many fans voted in each of the polls. Most polls only let you vote once. Every poll had an overwhelming number of people who did not like the finale. Numbers don’t lie. The finale bombed with most fans. Deal.

17. Becks says:

Ahaha. No. They aren’t getting another dime from me.

18. CeeCee says:

I hope by alternate ending they mean more explanation of the gap in the story of how Ted and Robin are perfect for each other. Despite everything, this is the ending the creators want and this is the ‘canon’ situation. They may screw up the whole marketing things, but as artists they should reserve the right for their own creativity. People can say whatever, but for me they shouldn’t be worry much about this. It’s their decision and they should stick with it, and without any regrets. The studios and TPTB are the one to blame for approving this ending which cause a chaos for the marketing team, but the creators are not. It’ll be so pathetic if they try to fit with what the fans want and I’m sure they already lost marketing opportunity already, so why should they try to fix it?

I love the ending, and for me it’s surprising but quite understandable. Since they’re following the typical Romance Comedy story line of ‘love will conquer all’ and ‘everything is possible’ and ‘repressed love that will eventually come out before they die’. I guess the reason they crammed it to an hour simply because of the surprise element that they want to create. I wish it’s more than an hour, maybe should be three or four episodes, so we can grasp the whole thing better. Robin did say that she can’t stand to see Ted lives happily with Tracy (the Halloween party scene), Tracy did try hard to convince Robin so she would come to Ted’s wedding. I think Tracy knew that Ted will always need Robin in the sense that Barney knows that Ted is a threat for his relationship with Robin (the fight about the locket in the beginning of this season and ‘The Robin’ scheme). If you flashback to pilot ep, this is the perfect ending, and let’s face it in Romance Comedy ‘rule’ they will always going to refer to the beginning of the story.

19. eithernor says:

how i met your morals

independent sluts are punished with sterility and bad marriages; parenthood redeems womanizers; the mother of your children has to be a quasi-virgin whose tragic past has kept her from doing whomever doable like you did yourself in your quest for her; after she has fulfilled her reproductive function, you may want to have the mother of your children killed off so that you can go back to the barren love of your life ‒ provided she has atoned for her sluttiness through years of hester-prynne-like loneliness.

20. sherry says:

This ending could have worked. Possibly. The awful thing is how long they dragged out the wedding, all the stupid no brain plots of the last season, and how they ended Barney and Robin. Barney’s character was destroyed, Robin came off totally bitchy, and Marshall and Lilly’s characters even lost out. What happened to the good writing as in the episode of Marshall’s dad dying? There was so much quality in the previous seasons, but this last one totally died. I couldn’t even watch all of the episodes. I tried. At least half I just deleted from my dvr after a few minutes of trying to watch. Total failure. Why in the world would I buy the dvd set?

• The more I think about it the more I wonder if TPTB kept renewing this show without any real thought to “where is this story going”. The writers, who in past seasons knocked the ball out of the park and set the bar higher for all other shows, lost their way. 20 episodes on a wedding for a marriage they were going to negate in the Vey next episode? So you’re right. The ending they went with could have worked but only IF the set up had been better.

21. partisan says:

OK 2/3′s of you hated the ending so we’ll throw you a bone and hope you’ll buy the DVD and watch our new show. Sorry, fool me once and all that.

22. Colette says:

They probably just cut the part about Tracy having died, and end the episode before Ted goes running back to Robin. A much better ending, but still doesn’t do much to help the trainwreck of the episode before it.

23. Hanna says:

I was totally over The Ted and Robin thing a long time ago. It was just a bitter sweet thing of the past to me. SO strange to have them getting back together. And I really expected it to end with Ted meeting the mother…

A lot of things didn’t make sense to me. (But Barneys transformation when his daughter was born wasn’t one of them. Having a child will do that to you….) One of the things that came to mind was when Ted said: “But there was one thing your aunt Robin never was; she was never alone.” Except that she was apparently alone and unhappy for 15 years? There were just a lot of little pieces like that that didn’t fit….

24. Great work! This is the type of information that should be shared across the
    internet. Shame on Google for now not positioning this
    submit higher! Come on over and consult with my site . Thanks =)

25. Diego says:

i feel there is a way to correct the ending. I feel the ending was surprising but not necesarily in a good way after all we all wanted to see the Ted happily ever after moment. So i believe if you add just 30 seconds to the ending you can make it WAY better. There is an episode called no pressure where Barney finds the box with all the long term bets. So you go back to the ending of the series and just after the blue horn. A scene appears where Lily pays Marshall. With that we all will know that they ended together. You finish a proper love story. You can add this to the DVD as an alternate ending. i honestly feel that this small detail maked the ending a lot better.

26. david ames says:

lilly and robin runaway together