Once Upon a Time in Wonderland Series Finale Recap: Did They All Live Happily Ever After?

Once Upon A Time In WonderlandThe stage was set for an all-out war in Thursday’s series finale of Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, but even though good prevailed in the end (duh!), not everyone received the happy ending they’d hoped for.

RELATED | Wonderland Fave to Join Once Upon a Time?

After some intense sword-to-sword combat with Jafar’s army of zombie soldiers, Alice tricked the evil sorcerer into stealing water from the Well of Wonders. As punishment, Nyx turned Jafar into a genie, cursing him to do the bidding of others for a change. But that final battle was merely part of the action-packed finale, which reunited lovers and forced others to say goodbye forever.

BODY COUNT | What would a finale be without a few major deaths? Jafar’s father was the first victim to hit the floor, as Jafar revealed that what he really wanted was for him to know what it feels like to be murdered by a loved one. (Mission accomplished, I guess.) His second victim was Amara, who essentially sacrificed herself to save Cyrus, his brothers and all of Wonderland. (Thanks for everything, Magic Mama.)

LOVE GAMES | Will was elated when Jafar revealed that he’d brought Anastasia back from the dead… until Jafar explained that she was now in love with him. (I almost puked watching them kiss. It was wrong on every level.) Fortunately, all it took was a lip lock of true love from Will to break Anastasia’s curse. When Jafar became a genie, Anastasia died again, but the well water was able to revive her because it wasn’t her time to move on, just the Red Queen’s. You’ve got to love those magic loopholes.

WEDDING BELLS | The episode ended with Alice and Cyrus leaving Wonderland, returning to her home in England and saying “I do” in a romantic ceremony, surrounded by family and friends from both words. The White Rabbit officiated the wedding and it was beautiful; even the Knave’s attempt at objecting to the marriage was pretty adorable. We were also treated to a look into Alice and Cyrus’ future, including the daughter who would eventually name her mother’s memoir, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland.

KNAVE’S NEXT MOVE | While Alice and Cyrus remained in England, Will and the rest of the Wonderland gang returned home. With Will slated to appear in Season 4 of Once Upon a Time, fans are now left wonder-ing what’s going to (re)unite him with the Storybrooke crew.

Were you satisfied by the Wonderland finale? Rate it below, then drop a comment with your thoughts on the series’ ending. And what do you think will bring Will to Once Upon a Time?

1. jh says:

I loved it! Can’t wait for Will and hopefully Anastasia in Storybrooke!

• Andy Swift says:

Since only Will has been announced for OUAT, I was actually surprised that Anastasia survived the finale. Glad she did, though!

• madhatter360 says:

Maybe they purposely delayed announcing that she would appear on OUAT so as to not spoil her survival? Maybe they’ll announce her arrival on OUAT soon?

• Jip Lance says:

I will be seriously ticked if they bring will in and leave Anastasia behind. Even if they just introduce her in Storybrooke or wherever season 4 starts off then have us know she’s there just not part of the main storyline. But that was a great finale. I am so glad they kept it as a mini-series like originally planned.

• Erin says:

Me too! I grew to love Ana and I love their love story.

• Celestina99 says:

Actually it seemed from the first episode that Wonderland takes place before Once. The Knave is in SB right after Alice helps him get his heart back. Alice was institutionalized for at least a couple years. We could see Will during that time and conceivably see the White Rabbit come for him later on in Once

2. e says:

while i wasn’t a fan of most of the characters on OUAT in Wonderland, the story ended on a great note. i am SO SO excited for will to show up on OUAT! it is a joy to watch him on my tv each week, and i think he’ll bring a fresh new dynamic to storybrooke :)

• Andy Swift says:

I’m mostly excited to hear Will and Hook’s accents come together in perfect harmony. And I agree; while I wasn’t Wonderland’s biggest fan, that was a great ending. Satisfying and final!

• Branden says:

Me too! I have been hoping the actor Michael Socha would land a role on something good since I first saw him in the incredible “Being Human” BBC original version. He was the perfect choice to be cast as the role of the Knave. I am incredibly upset that they didn’t make the show a mid-season replacement. Instead the rolled the dice and gave it its own standalone timeslot on a Thursday. A THURSDAY!? What kind of bourgeois crack were they smoking!!?? How stupid. You realize if they did make it a replacement and let it take the place of OUAT while it was on it’s long winter hiatus, this series would have survived. And it has been floated that the creators know this now…but if anyone has been around to know ABC’s policy, you know when a show gets canceled, it’s DONE… and we can only hope for cross-overs. OH, and that whole bullhockey about the show taking place in a different time and how it would make it difficult to do cross-overs, is only half true. Yes, Alice lives in the 1800’s in England, but the rabbit has the ability to tunnel through space-time and realities, so as long as he is aware of the destination, he can get there – hence the episode he tunneled to Storybrooke where the knave had his own bachelor pad equipped with electricity and a refrigerator that could make ice cubes (remember they thought it was magic?) The only other creature that can cross over to anywhere anytime appears to me Sirens (mermaids) Soo it makes sense the knave can totally pop in and out when he likes and have his beer. lol. Sorry for the long winded response. I really loved this spinoff and am very sorry to see it ride off into the sunset.

• amy says:

Actually, the creators had originally wanted the series to be aired during OUAT’s breaks, however, it was ABC’s decision to air both at the same time rather than during each others breaks.

• Mark says:

Although ABC have accepted they where at fault and made a mistake with this I think it would have worked better if it was shown as originally intended.

3. Carlie says:

So does this mean Ana gets to go to Once too?

• Andy Swift says:

In theory, since she’s alive, we could see her on OUAT eventually. Maybe Will’s OUAT storyline will involve having to save her… again.

• ? says:

I imagine she’ll be missing or kidnapped or whatever and appear only as a recurring in episodes centered around Will. There’s no chance of them setting someone else up as his true love, so I’m sure she’ll be involved to some extent.

4. Aleana says:

Love it sad this show was cancel but I enjoy the ride can’t wait to see how Will come to OUAT I wish this show could have been a summer show Thank You Adam and Eddie for this show

5. jonathan says:

if she does go to wonderland maybe there will be some confirmation that she is cinderellas sister

• maayanelson says:

they sorta kinda did few weeks ago, when they talked about something about her step sister and how everything went to hell after her step sister left of something like that/

6. A. D. says:

Hope Anastasia joins will on the show also!

7. Nicole says:

Loved, loved, loved the finale. True love’s kiss was proven again, Alice speechifies and is on the front lines, kicking butt, she and Cyrus live happily ever after with Jafar trapped as a genie, and Ana and Will rule Wonderland together as the White Queen and King. Hate that it had to end but it did so spectacularly. But they really need to announce Anastasia joining Will in Storybrooke. Him showing up alone date all they went through would be tragic.

• Katherine215 says:

God, all of this!! It was just perfect. The way a fairytale show should end. I loved all of it, but especially the wedding.

• Lia says:

The only thing I disliked was the true love’s kiss thing. OUAT had already established that if you don’t remember you love the person, the kiss doesn’t work – when Snow took a potion to forget she loved Charming because he was about to marry someone else and decided to kill Regina, he kissed her and it didn’t work … it only worked after he sacrificied himself to not let her kill Regina and she remembered. It seems the producers only stick to their own modus operandi when it suits them.

8. Lynn says:

Alice wore a horrible wedding dress and they got married by a rabbit, but that was still ten times better than HIMYM. I loved the finale, and I hope Ana goes with Will to Storybrooke!

9. Rebecca says:

Now THIS is how a show should end. Some tv is for escape from today’s pressures and doesn’t need to be “real”. Sad the show ended. And I agree with everyone that Ana needs to be with Will in Storybrook.

10. Mike R. says:

I loved the finale, the wedding dragged, and that time could have been better spent, but alas it was a good finale. This show was never the best thing on TV, but some week it out shined the base show, and I will miss it, thankfully Will is headed to OUAT, and hopefully Anastasia joins him, as they were my favorite characters, and I look forward to seeing where there stories go from here.

• Andy Swift says:

You think the wedding dragged? I loved every second of it.

• Mike R. says:

I guess I just hate when shows silence out the dialogue for nice music, I really wanted to know what they were saying.

• Katherine215 says:

I loved every second too! It was so beautiful and we got to enjoy everyone looking so happy and joyful.

• e says:

i actually felt this a little bit, and every time they cut to her stepmother, i expected her to do something to ruin the wedding! she had such a menacing look on her face, and in previous episodes she had proven she wasn’t very kind.

i think with all the negative stuff happening in tv the last few weeks, i’ve gotten a bit cynical, so i was happy to FINALLY have a happy ending :) i think my favorite part at the end was will and alice running back to each other after cyrus and ana had walked away. in my opinion, it was always THEIR journey, and they proved that good, platonic friends CAN still exist without a “ship” ;)

• Celestina99 says:

I was expecting her to do something too. My bf actually turned to me and asked “She’s really okay with a talking Rabbit” due to Witchy she has been

11. ” fans are now left wonder-ing what’s going to unite him with the Storybrooke crew.” REunite him. Remember the first episode of this series began with him already in Storybrooke. His inclusion in the main show merely means that he’s going back home now that his mission has been accomplished.

12. Alex Neeley says:

Personally, I hope Jafar and the Jabberwocky show up at some point in the main OUAT series. Since they’re did not dead, just incapacitated, there’s nothing to prevent Jafar from being summoned out of his bottle or the Jabberwocky being released from the Vorpal Blade at some point down the line.

• e says:

i felt like their stories were totally exhausted at this point. i didn’t particularly like jafar or the jabberwocky to need to see them again. jafar did his part on the mini-series, but he was just too purely evil to have any place in storybooke. the dynamic is different there, and part of the beauty of OUAT is regina and rumple finding their hearts among all the evil they possess.

• Celestina99 says:

Would love to see the Jabberwokey. Jafar not so much. But it would be awesome to get her back story and see her wreck havoc on SB

13. Joey says:

A bit spiteful since evidently people on OUaTiW get happy endings, but I guess it isn’t so for OUaT.

• Lynn says:

That’s because OUAT hasn’t ended yet. When the show airs its series finale, I’m sure the characters will get their happy endings too.

• Joey says:

I guess then that they’ll have to resurrect Neal.

• Rob says:

Fairy tales do not guarantee happy endings to everyone! Never have.

• abz says:

THIS! Not everyone gets to have a happy ending. Look at Amara. She sacrificed herself to save her sons and beat Jafar. Another example is Sheriff Graham. Both characters with sad endings.

• will says:

As unfortunate as it is, the one message of OUAT so far is that you can find another true love, a la Regina and Robin. Chances are they’re setting up the eventual Hook-up and down the line, that will be Emma’s final happy ending unless she ends up with just Henry as her “one true love”

• Rob says:

How is that unfortunate? So Regina and Emma should stay alone forever now that Daniel and Neal are gone? I love how ONCE has updated the fairy tale ideal for the modern day. True love doesn’t have to only happen once in a lifetime.

• Joey says:

See, I think that the showrunners aren’t necessarily telling the truth there. I’m under the impression that while Regina believed that Daniel was her true love, he really wasn’t. Hence why Robin Hood actually is her true love.

• Zaria says:

I don’t think on Once it’s ever been stated that you can have more than one true love. True love is rare. But if your true love dies – a la Regina & Daniel, and Robin Hood & Marian – you can still find love again. I believe Tink called Robin Hood Regina’s “soul mate”. Which made me believe that the two terms don’t exactly mean the same thing on this show. Both are still great of course though! The important point is the love!! Also I wanted to respond to, I think it was Joey, who brought up Neal and Emma. Neal believed Emma was his true love, but we still don’t know who Emma thinks is HER true love. So I think her happy ending is still out there waiting for her to find it/him! It could be Hook, or somebody totally different for all we know now. That’s my head cannon anyway! Now one final comment about OUATIW. I am not a regular viewer of this show, probably only saw three total episodes. Really wish ABC stuck with the plan to air it during Once’s off season, I think it would have gotten a lot more viewers if they had done that. But all of that is to say that I watched the series finale and thought it was wonderful! Great job all around by all the actors and YEAH for all the happy endings!!!

14. Linh says:

Am I the only one who thought the victory kiss scene at the well a bit… wtf? I mean, come on! Your DEAD mother’s body is right there! She just DIED. And you’re celebrating with your girlfriend like everything’s a-ok?

15. JC says:

I’m surprised about Anastasia living. I wasn’t expecting that, after they announced the possibility of him moving to OUAT as a regular. I figured she would die, and Will would go back to Storybrooke at the end of the show, and then his story would pick up there. Now I don’t know what they’re thinking.

• Carlie says:

Maybe the Once gang is going to Wonderland?

• JC says:

Oh, I hope not. I thought of that, but surely not. I enjoy OUAT best when it’s grounded in Storybrooke. I’m enjoying this half of the season far more than the Neverland half, so I’m not eager for the Storybrooke gang to go traveling again.

• abz says:

I hope not. I think they should only ever go back to Wonderland if it means they plan on bringing back the Mad Hatter or if they plan on possibly doing another Cora flashback in future seasons. The spinoff gave us a good amount of Wonderland that I don’t think there’s a need for it anymore. I hope Will (and possibly Anastasia) actually show up in Storybrooke,

16. Davey Elmer says:

Now THAT’S how you end a series. A triumph all the way around.

17. Sue says:

Really? A mini series? I go into this show thinking I was going to be in it for the long hall it was really turning out to be a great show. But since networks can’t get there crap together our good shows get cancelled and the sucky ones continue on and on! (Well I wonder since OUATIW was a mini does that mean there will be more mini series to come like Once Upon A Time in Oz or Once Upon A Time in Neverland?

• Laura says:

Tv line posted upon Will’s return that they would explore miniseries in transelvania, arrendale (Frozen), Neverland…the list could go on and on

• Citizen of the Internet says:

TVLine said they COULD, not would explore the other lands. I kind of doubt they’ll end up actually getting mini-series.

• Lia says:

Arendelle? Nah, it is a regular kingom and could totally be part of Enchanted Forest/Fairy Tale Land. It doesn’t need to exist in a different world.

• Davey Elmer says:

The show was DESIGNED to be a Limited Series; the possibility of multiple seasons was on the table, but Adam and Eddy and Co. specifically plotted the story so that it would reach a definitive conclusion in 13 or so episodes.

18. DarkDefender says:

Bad CGI and all, I just loved this series. Simply loved it.

19. sam says:

I thought for a second that Alice’s daughter was going to be Snow White

• Jess says:

lmfao for a second i thought she was gonna be someone important on the main show, but not Snow haha. We’ve met her parents.

• Celestina99 says:

She totally looked like “baby” Snow from Regina’s backstory. Had to talk through the linage to remember Snows mother is dead and Cyrus would have to be king lol

20. Hayley says:

OMG! I had no idea what I was sitting down to watch tonight!! The season was finally picking up full speed only to end…..BAM! Although it was truly an amazing end, I cant help but wonder if the final scene was dropping hints for a possible future in Arabia. I cant help but wish with all the genie talk and Jafars involvement that we could have seen an appearance of Aladdin and Jasmine. Introducing the little girl at the end makes me curious!~ she fits the profile…..theres nothing to say this spinoff cant pull a recovery with life after Alice, after all, Jasmines mother does pass when she was a child. And with the Rabbit keeping close eye, nothing says he couldnt return them to Cyrus’s original home….. Sorry for my rambling, but,…..ANYTHINGS POSSIBLE IN WONDERLAND

• Davey Elmer says:

Cyrus, Alice, and their daughter could possibly at some point travel from Victorian Land to Agrabah (which is a sub-kingdom of the Enchanted Forest, BTW) via Rabbit Hole, but there’s really no reason for them to.

21. jerry says:

Perfect finale. This gives me hope that the eventual OUAT finale will not disappoint. I can´t handle another HIMYM.

22. Christina says:

Definitely some major sobbing from happiness at the end. So happy that Alice and Cyrus got their happy ending (and with their little girl). I needed a good series finale after this week.

I’m looking forward to Will on OUAT. Hope Anastasia goes with him.

23. KC says:

Excellent finale. I really enjoyed it.
    I wish the networks did more of these limited run series. I find them more satisfying then the shows that drag on and on. I understand that commercial TV is a business and they want to suck every last dollar from every show, but as an artistic endeavor you need a beginning, middle and ending (the exception being soap operas). Without having a story arc and a finale planned out it lessens the impact of the show. I watched HIMYM for 5 season and lost interest in the 6th season. I did not watch the finale, but from the amount of complaining I’m hearing, they should have stuck the creator’s original vision and ended it after 5 or 6 seasons it would have made more sense. The same with Dexter and countless other shows.

24. greysfan says:

I must admit it started off shaky and i thought it was going to be bad but i stuck with it for the whole season and the ending was very satisfying for me and the characters really grew on me and the finale was a top notch episode. Such a shame the quality wasn’t there for the whole season but the last few episodes were really really well done. I understand why it had to end but knowing Knave is going to show up in S4 of Once i’m excited to see how.

25. mike says:

I love that Anastasia, the Red Queen/Wicked Step sister, becomes the White Queen–Now that loopy, potion brewing character from the the Alice in Wonderland movie makes sense. It explains how she came to know magic, and her kindness. People who overcome painful experiences in life usually come out being the most compassionate.

• abz says:

I’m surprised by how much I came to really like Anastasia as the season progressed. I didn’t care much for her in the beginning, but I knew I had started to when Jafar killed her and I got sad.

26. Celestina99 says:

Whole I loved the episode and series. My best possible ever, never would happen scenario is this.
    Alice ditches Cyrus at the alter and she and Will hitch a ride to SB with the Rabbits.

27. JC says:

I’ve been thinking about this finale, and (unpopular opinion alert) I’ve decided I’m really not thrilled that Anastasia lived. I think I would have been perfectly fine with it before I knew that Michael Socha might move to OUAT – nicely wrapped up ending with everyone getting their happy ending. But I was never that invested in the Will/Ana relationship, and it would have been more interesting to me to see Will find a new True Love (not Emma!) in Storybrooke. I’m just not actually all that fond of Anastasia to be honest – she was more interesting to me as the haughty Red Queen. I don’t hate her – let me be clear. She had some good moments. But on the whole I found her less interesting than Will and Alice, and even Cyrus.
    I think maybe that was one of the flaws of the series, at least for me. While I liked Cyrus just fine, and I had no problems with Alice/Cyrus, on the whole the most compelling relationship of the series for me was the platonic relationship of Will and Alice. I was more interested in the show when those two were together having adventures than the rest of the time.

28. Lash says:

I wonder if Will reunites with Robin Hood and his merry men when he returns to SB this fall…

29. robin says:

I like the speculation about Alice and Cyrus’s daughter being another character. Jasmine is a possibility. My husband thought maybe Snow White? Also I think that there must be more to come with the Knave and Anastasia. They kind if dropped the ball in not telling us how the Knave got to Storybroooke (to hide his heart) so presumably OUAT will reveal this. Also we still have yet to see a Cinderella appearance on OUAT so Anastasia us likely the link to get us there. Completely feasible especially when you think about how Ana ended up being nice in Cinderella III… Just some thoughts…

30. Pete says:

How is Cyrus still alive??????
    He should be dead as jaffar did kill him and his mum brought him back to life with the rules of magic changed but that was all undone. So I’m confused. Please do enlighten me!