Grey’s Anatomy Recap: In Sickness and in Wealth

Grey's Anatomy Season 10As a viral infection tears through Grey Sloan in this week’s Grey’s Anatomy, Derek collapses, Leah throws up in her mouth, Stephanie gets peed on, and Richard’s stomach grumbles like he’s about to reenact the dress-shopping scene from Bridesmaids. But, on the plus side, Alex may have found a solution to his financial woes. Keep reading…

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Drops 2 Docs For Season 11

HAVE A HEART | Early on in “You Be Illin’,” Cristina is more than annoyed that a ho-hum, run-of-the-mill heart transplant takes her away from her conduit kids on the last day for her report to the NIH, she’s also worried that one of the infants will catch the bug that’s going around. (Sick infant = bad report = no Harper Avery Award for her.) So, before she puts her subjects in Shane’s care, she tells him, “This trial is my baby… Don’t let my baby die.” In no time, however, he’s passed off diaper duty to Stephanie, paving the way for her unfortunate shower. (Since Shane later takes credit for keeping the little ones in good health, does that mean Stephanie got pissed on and s— on in the same episode?) Meanwhile, Cristina’s heart transplant takes a turn for the curious when her young patient’s sister is also admitted to the ER with cardiomyopathy.

BUBBLE GLUM | When April’s not busy being counseled by Bailey on how to handle Jackson’s combo platter of obstinacy and illness — and sometimes even when she is — she’s treating a youngster who is so susceptible to infection that, by hour’s end, he’s been cast in a laugh-free remake of the “Bubble Boy” episode of Seinfeld. (Side note: Doesn’t it seem like he’d be more traumatized by his parents’ terrified-sounding reassurances through the bubble than even the fact that he wakes up from surgery in a bubble? No poker face on those people whatsoever.)

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Scoop: Isaiah Washington to Return to Take Cristina’s Journey ‘Full-Circle’

PINCH HITTER | Since a buncha skeptical scientists from around the world have descended on Grey Sloan to hear Derek’s speech inviting them to kibitz on his brain-mapping project, he’s determined not to let the flu bring him down. Which, of course, means that the flu does indeed bring him down. Literally — he collapses from dehydration in comedic fashion as Mer looks on. But his missus doesn’t just laugh at him, she also saves his bacon, delivering her version of his speech. (And, judging from the little of it that we saw, she could charm the lab coat off of Dr. Jekyll!)

NON-CENTS | After Jo discovers how deeply in debt Alex is, she encourages him — in that in-your-face way that seems to be her trademark — to pay a bill now and then. And, though he pooh-poohs her concern (“Lay off, Scrooge McDuck!” are his exact words), his introduction to Arizona’s pal, Oliver — or, as Alex calls him, Dr. Butthole — opens his eyes to a world of luxurious possibilities. “Your clinic is nicer than my house,” he marvels. So, when Oliver reveals that he’s expanding his practice and thinks Alex would fit right in, it seems like a no-brainer. Heck, he’d even get his name on a pen! At the same time, Jo may have stumbled across her specialty: to Callie’s delight, orthopedics!

Okay, your turn. What did you think of the episode? Wasn’t it nice to see MerDer pulling together (even if, okay, he was unconscious for it)? Hit the comments!

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Recaps

1. Lea says:

Meredith and Derek are perfection, what an amazing couple, who came so far.

2. Mary Kate says:

Great episode! Hope Alex stays at the hospital, but not really sure how much he could grow since Arizona is already the head of the department

3. Beth says:

So is this where Dr. Burke reappears? Christina did say they might have to bring in someone else to help figure out what is causing the cardiomyopathy in the family…..

• Mary says:

I’m thinking this is the intro to needing Preston.

• Luli says:

I was thinking he comes back because Cristina gets nominated for a Harper Avery, but you might be onto something…

• greysfan says:

I thought exactly the same thing. I think this is how he returns but the other option is due to her winning the Harper Avery award.

Overall i loved this episode. It just goes to show how one small thing can create such a chain reaction. It was done really well too and i love the Jo and Alex moments as well as Meredith and Derek. Oh and that Jo and Callie moment in the ER was pretty great too.

• CC says:

This case only runs for four episodes until Episode 21. Burke comes back in 22.

• H.Houston says:

I was thinking the exact same thing. It would make perfect sense for her to reach out to Burke for help with the kids.

4. JJ says:

Meredith and Derek are so freakin’ cute! 10 seasons later and they still make me swoon. Wish they were featured more! :-)

• babygate says:

Agreed. Loved that Mer saved the presentation. She knows Derek and his work better than he knows himself.

5. alexlmessina says:

YAY! Love the idea of Jo being in Ortho. Callie needs to mentor someone and it would be super fun to see Jo crack some bones.

6. babygate says:

Finally Callie gets someone to mentor. Love that she’s teaching Jo how to focus her aggression and channel it into something positive. Arizona was pretty funny tonight. Especially with Alex. But my favorite part was Dr. Butt..le jamming in the O.R. Fun episode. Still too many characters though. Anything with Shane, Leah or Stephanie is a waste of screen time. Otherwise, a pretty great episode.

7. EB says:

My brother was in this episode as Nurse Adam…the a-hole nurse who let Stephanie get peed on!

8. Bear75 says:

Awkward writing style that made this recap really hard to read at times :/

9. Forwardad says:

Did the recapper fast forward this ep? :-(

• Jersey Jeff says:

Glad I wasn’t the only one thinking that. This was one of the most superficial recaps I’ve read in a long time.

• M says:

these recaps are AWFUL!! I never feel like this guy does the episodes justice.

I really really enjoyed tonight’s episode, so many hilarious moments!! that dance party killed me it was hilarious. Derek was HILARIOUS, omg I died when he was in that suit LOL. I thought although it was busy, there was a great mix of humour and seriously sad storylines. However they could do without Shane, Leah and Stephanie drying up screen time. LOVED Callie and Jo tonight, my favourite part of the episode, think they are gonna make an awesome team. And jolex of course were perfect, ‘scrooge Mcduck’ LMAO.

10. DarkDefender says:

Very well done transition episode.. Sets up direction for next season or two and a spin off for Alex and Joe (ala Private Practice) nice to see the stupid high school intern drama has passed. Great. Episode.

11. Jessica says:

How precious and adorable are Meredith and Derek? They make me swoon and smile like they did back in season 1. Ellen and Patrick’s chemistry <3 I wish they get more screentime next season!

12. trainwreck says:

I loved the Callie – Jo scenes.. Loved when Jo said that she feel like she would never get angry again, Callie retorts, ” Honey, you are dating Alex Karev!” :P

Speaking of Karev, will this private practice serve as a cliffhanger for Justin chambers still unresolved contract renewal at the end of this season? Sandra Oh is already leaving, I don’t want the only other intern friend of Mer to leave too!

• marie says:

Callie and Jo were a great find tonight, a surprising but awesome team!! I think you’re right about Justin..although I have a feeling it’l just be a cliff hanger and that he will be staying (HE BETTER).

13. Andrew Hass says:

I’m wondering if Alex getting that offer is going to lead to his exit in case Justin Chambers leaves at the end of the season.Plus that could leave the door open for Alex to return from time to time.

14. Court says:

I was excited to see Janet from October Road cast as the mom of the kids with cardiomyopathy…I miss that show. It deserved more than two seasons!

15. LaLa says:

I liked this filler episode. Just enough drama to keep my attention, and then lots of humor for all.

16. shannon says:

I loved Callie mentoring Jo – this could be a great duo in future if Jo decides on ortho. I loved jo&alex, they were their usual hilarious fiery selves..love that jo is forcing him to face his problems. I do think however that there needs to be more insight into her past and what actually HAPPENED to her. She’s obviously been through hell, and i think her trying to fix alex’s problems is largely transference of the fact she can’t face her own. I think if we’re shown that, her character will become less of an enigma with references to her rage but no explanation. I really like her character as it is, she adds something new to the show. The other residents I am still really struggling to get on board with.
    Merder were amazing tonight….best moment has to be Derek fainting with Meredith simply watching

17. shuayb says:

I loved the episode. It was very good in that it set up a lot of things.
    I still think Mer should double specialise and go into neuro as well.

18. Drew says:

I loved this episode. Hopefully Callie will start mentoring Jo now. Was that nurse Tyler that Shane was talking too?

19. Eric7740 says:

Meredith and Derek are amazing!! Love that they are a happy couple! They always make me smile!!! Loved Patrick Fabian, such a handsome man!!! I wish he would stick around!

20. JKR says:

Patrick Fabian… my dear Professor Lasky, please stay on this show. His intro was perfectly hilarious.
    LOVED that Meredith did Derek’s speech for him. MerDer still are magical.

21. Marie says:

Loved Mer/Der tonight – Please give them more air and romatic time. Miss their cute love scenes.

22. holliez says:

I think all the heart patients problems are going to lead to Burke being called into consult at GSH.
    I hope at some stage we get to see more of how Mer’s clinical trial is progressing, it feels likes it’s been sidelined again.
    I laughed at Der’s collapse down the wall. Serves him right for saying a mean thing to Mer. Yet again lovely scene of MerDer being a loving supportive couple. :))

23. John says:

So since Cristina’s leaving and since Shane & Leah are being downgraded/leaving, can Patrick Fabian take their place and become a regular…please? I think he’s the breath of fresh air that Grey’s needs.

24. Vicki says:

My favorite parts were with Meredith and Derek! I loved when he practiced his speech to their son and Meredith telling him not to bore little Bailey. Derek sliding down the wall was priceless and having Meredith come to his rescue was the best. Still can’t stop thinking of how joyful they make me feel. Mer/Der have the best chemistry ever. They make me swoon.

25. kath says:

I am really tired of seeing Mer and Der as the awesomest most perfect copule while the other characters like Cristina, Callie, Alex have to fight for every bit of space and happiness they can get.

Meredith lost all sympathy I had for her when she refused to let Cristina use the 3-d printer to save a baby’s life.

26. H.Houston says:

I think Cristina is going to win the HA. I think this will open some amazing door for her that she will head out to. I actually think she may take Shane with her because his character is being written off and a’la The Closer I can see her taking him because he has burned so many bridges.