Exclusive

Glee Video Exclusive: Lea Michele and Darren Criss Preview Their Big Broadway Moment

Pounding 42nd Street to be in a show?

That pretty much sums up the current journeys of Glee‘s musical-theater students Rachel and Blaine, who’ll team up to deliver that lyric from Sondheim’s “Broadway Baby” in next Tuesday’s installment of Fox’s musical dramedy (8/7c on Fox).

RELATED | Ask Ausiello Has the Latest Scoop on Glee‘s Season 6 Plan!

In the following exclusive video, stars Lea Michele and Darren Criss discuss what it means to them to sing a classic show tune together, preview the return of Whoopi Goldberg as NYADA’s Madame Tibideaux and tease a second (solo) number that Criss will deliver during the hour.

POLL | Keep or Cut? Vote on the Fate of Almost Human, Beast, Community and 25 Other ‘Bubble’ Shows

Below that, we’ve got five first-look photos from Glee’s April 15 outing, “Tested,” showing Artie in Robert Palmer mode, Kurt channeling his inner gladiator and our NYC fellas enjoying a meal out. Plus: An image of Mercedes (on a carousel!) from Tuesday’s “Bash” episode.

Press PLAY below — then click through our gallery! And for all the Glee scoop, exclusives, videos and recaps your heart desires, follow @TVLine on Twitter!

1. Kaycee says:

So, when are they going to rename the show “Blee” ??

• Louise says:

Perhaps they should consider renaming it ‘The Mercedes Show’ instead, considering she has two solos in this episode and then another one in the next episode.

• Max says:

She has rarely appeared in the last two seasons… so yeah
        Blaine, however, is everywhere and involved in everything

• Regina says:

Who would complain about someone who can actually sing, though?

• Kaycee says:

Really? You’re complaining about Mercedes? Who has barely been seen since they graduated and who has an amazing voice. We need more Mercedes if anything, Blaine has had way too many solos than he deserves.

• Trouty Mouth says:

We need more Santana/Mercedes songs. The writers keep trying to convince us that Pezberry has the same vocal chemistry and it’s NOT WORKING!!!

• blah blee says:

Please Blaine has like 4 less solos that Rachel for 2nd most of everyone, and has been in over 30 less episodes that Rachel . So yes they have given him WAY too much, He is far from the best b voice he isn’t even the best male voice.

• blah blee says:

and yet Blaine still has more songs then her the next two episodes.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Just one (1) user name per IP address, thank you!

• Angela says:

Crazy how you keep having to remind people of this. Do people who post under multiple names seriously think they won’t get caught or something?

• Brian says:

Thank you for confirming what many of us suspected- hate from one person trying to speak for many.

• suebrody says:

I think they already have. I thought this episode was about Kurt getting gay bashed, not about Blaine singing yet another song, zzzzzzz.

• Wire Dream says:

Better Criss than that shrill banshee Colfer. Why not use the best male voice on the show now that Lambert’s gone? No one complained when Finn sang every other song – AND LORD KNOWS Monteith was NOT a good singer (without auto tune, that is).
      The real crime is under utilizing Hale’s gifted voice.

• Wire Dream says:

Of course, I meant McHale. Damned autocorrect.

• mary says:

This is the MOST SHALLOW comment here. Bashing other male singers just as an argument to stand up for Darren doesn´t make him a better singer and actor

• Sky says:

I loved Finn’s voice. Not every one felt like you. Furthermore, I like Kurt’s voice a whole lot more than Blaine’s. So! Personal preference. That’s all it is. So speak only for your own opinion, not as a whole. Thank you.

• Shazay says:

Mercedes is one of the originals, she can have all the solos she wants, she deserves them. I missed her. Too bad they got rid of Tina, it would have been nice for the core group (minus Finn) to have been together next season.

• Myles says:

More like “Blea” or “Bleechel”

2. AngieD says:

Looks like the guys are enjoying the Frozen Hot Chocolates at Serendipity 3

3. Sam says:

Lol Darren Criss trying to pass his mediocre, stunt-cast self as anything resembling true Broadway. Get a refund on that acting degree, son.

• Kaycee says:

He is such a bad actor and his voice isn’t as strong as the rest of the casts. He overacts his “gay” role to the point where it’s offensive.

• ronnie says:

And yet, he was able to sell out his entire 3 week run on Broadway a couple of years back when he replaced Jonas.

• Sam says:

Shows what you know. He replaced Radcliffe, not Jonas, and he didn’t replace him at all. He just filled in for three weeks while the real replacement (Jonas) prepped. He was stunt-cast to fill seats and the show didn’t even bother comping for proper reviews of him. He filled seats during a short period of time?? Shocking. Call me when he’s truly tested with a proper run.

• yeah says:

How naive. It’s Broadway, and a well-known revival at that. Those tickets didn’t sell on the name of Darren Criss.

• kendall says:

Oh and he did win an award,not Jonas. So you get your facts straight. I can’t believe you people. Get over yourselves and get a life outside of hating Darren. This is so pointleas. Haters are so pointless.

• stop with the stunt gig says:

A whole three weeks. Get back to me when Darren has actually work on show for a year. His vocie hardly lasted the 3 weeks.

• kj says:

I’ll find it forever hilarious when Patti LuPone dragged the people who did those stunt castings right after Darren did his.

• Aries says:

Troll

4. Tom says:

I wish Lea would have sung No One is Alone instead of Darren. If anyone on the show is perfect for that song it’s Lea!

5. babygate says:

Will this be the second week Santana is out? No me gusta. Outside of Kurt and Starchild, none of the other guys are remotely interesting. I thought that trip Santana and Brittany were taking was supposed to last two
    Weeks and apparently it’s been months already.

6. Broadway Baby says:

WOW…they have Lea Freaking Michele, on Broadway since 8 yrs old, A REAL BROADWAY BABY and they give No One is Alone to the Broadway Poser? Rename the show Blee is right!

• Pam says:

Lea is singing No One is Alone, with Darren and Chris. Not While I’m Around is sung by Darren alone. You haters give me life though.

• no blee says:

Point remains the same he gets too much. To many songs, to much screen time. He is not the most talented on the show and has shown he cant lead a show so why are they still pushing him so hard?

7. Linda says:

Very happy for another Rachel and Blaine duet on a Broadway song. They both look lovely too.

8. UGH says:

UGH…Darren Criss doing Broadway…I’ve heard him try it before…no thanks!

9. I want to get paid to film my BF says:

Darren Criss’ girlfriend is the one who makes these behind-the-scenes videos, and it’s completely obvious since she puts him in every single one. She is completely unprofessional and needs to learn her job isn’t her personal YouTube account for her boyfriend. This screenshot says it all. The cast of Glee is not just Darren Criss and whoever he deems worthy for the day. i.imgur.com/ZV017Yg.png

• Me, too. says:

Yep. It’s bad enough that the show focuses so much on Darren, but the BTS stuff used to include everyone. Now it’s hard to enjoy even those, since Darren and his girlfriend have taken them over. It’s disgusting how much favoritism she shows. I used to think she was cool, but not now.

• Trouty Mouth says:

Exactly. I loved when the BTS would have Naya and Amber and other people but now it’s just the Darren and friends show, and it’s not as exciting.

• Jamie says:

Rename the account to DarrenSpecialOps.

• Spec Ops says:

His girl friend Mia is the one that does all of those? So yeah, she is totally unprofessional and uses it to sell Darren Criss.

• kj says:

I thought you were overreacting until I went to the account myself… lmao.

• I want to get paid to film my BF says:

Look, he should be in some of them, he’s a big draw. But, yes, if you go to the account, it’s complete overkill and very hard to deny. And it’s not just the FoxSpecialOps stuff. It’s now extended to these BTS clips, too.

• Sam says:

He’s not really a big draw, though. The show is dead.

• I want to get paid to film my BF says:

I mean a big draw for the existing audience. I’d count Lea, Chris, Naya, and Darren as the most popular.

• Fernanda says:

Since Finn’s death there is no glee anymore. Even if we have more klaine scenes or see Rachel finding success in Broadway Finn was the most important piece of the glee puzzle. My thoughts next season should be shortened in 8 or 10 episodes. No Finn No Glee :(

• pollyanna_pocket says:

same, I thought the op was exaggerating but omg that’s actually hilarious!

• Liz Weaver says:

Well, that’s unfortunate. A little of Darren goes a long way. He’s not a terrible singer, but he’s certainly not the show’s best singer by a long shot. He has no vibrato and his range really isn’t all that impressive.

10. Dani says:

They already sang “Tonight” from West Side Story. They did their Broadway song moment already.

• Joan says:

They also sang another romantic duet from West Side Story, and that episode will always be hilarious for having Blaine sing two love songs with a woman in an episode about him losing his virginity with his boyfriend. Typical Glee. Trying to have it both ways with supermegafoxyhot Blaine.

11. Amie says:

Why do they have to ruin Sondheim songs? Come ON.

• pollyanna_pocket says:

Lea can sing all the Sondheim she wants imo, she has the voice for it. Darren not so much (or any of the others except Matt Morrison for that matter)

12. David, fan of Darren Criss! says:

This place is full of haters, Darren is a great guy and a fantastic actor/singer, he did sell out his run on Broadway, considering the show made 4million in 3weeks i can’t see how you can deny this. He also sold out his concert tour he did last year, nearly 25.000 people got from behind their computer to watch Darren live, but ofcourse the cowardly keyboard cowboys and sexually frustrated pimpeled face teenage girls would have you believe otherwise.

• LOLz says:

I’m sure your name is “David.” More likely you’re one of the “sexually frustrated pimpeled face teenage girls” you’re trying to shame with your comment.

• LOL says:

Yeah he sold it out, AFTER his people bought up blocks of tickets and gave them away. And stubhub resorted to selling the blocks they bought for $1.00 per ticket and still couldn’t get rid of them. For so many sold out concerts there sure were lots of empty seats visible lol

13. Aries says:

This is great. I love Darren and you people need to go away.
    They sing beautifully together and I can’t wait for this episode.

14. Kim says:

I can’t wait to hear the song! Darren and Lea will be great on it.

15. BEE says:

Darren was at the height of his popularity when he did Broadway. But he managed to irritate quite a few people with his stage door antics (including the NYPD). The adults who went did not seem to have the same thrilled and drooling opinion the fangirls had. His concert was “sold out” in the sense that Stubhub – and those like it – bought a lot of tickets to resell – then got stuck with a lot of them. Sold many for $1 and couldn’t even give all of them away. This was to TEST songs for the album we still have not heard a datae for..

16. BEE says:

Oh, and you can love Darren all you want – it will not change the fact that his voice is thin and has no vibrato – something he himself said. His is NOT a Broadway voice.

17. lomie says:

Darren you are not a Broadway Baby, you are not eve a Broadway vet. Please stop. I love Bway too but I do not pretend to be a Bway baby. It is insulting to all those who have worked for years on Bway, not jsut a stunt gig for 20 shows.

18. Scott says:

Thanks to clowns like the bleeting “Kaycee” from just about every Glee column here, Glee is now a 6 or 7 character show. That means the cast have some 3 times the amount of work to do that they had previously. Unfortunately for the haters it means all the cast now have to be be heavily used, and its impossible to park any of them without over-working the others. No wonder the series is being cut short.

19. Fernanda says:

We need another strong male straight character. Not like Finn but someone that we could falling in love with him and could be a love interest for Rachel. No Sam, No Brody, No Carlyle from Twilight or the former Mr Fantastic. Someone like, I don’t know Skylar Astin, John Gallagher Jr, or any country soul singer guy or someone else but not like Jeremy Jordan character from SMASH.

We would love to see J Groff back on Glee but only if he sings but not trying to get Rachel again, because I want him back in HBO’s Looking ASAP and I want more hot scenes with Kevin and Richie.

• erica says:

I don’t totally disagree, but I don’t see most of that happening. Skylar Astin was literally just on the show like two episodes ago and John Gallagher Jr. has said a few times that he wouldn’t play a real character on glee. I think he said at best, he’d play an extra.

And I would also love J. Groff to return but I’m for Jesse/Rachel all the way hahah! I love them together.

20. Frieda says:

Darren and Lea sound awesome together.
    Haters are going to hate, i bet none of them will ever accomplish what Darren (or Lea) have.

21. Caroline says:

Too much Blaine…blech! Don’t care about Mercedes either… I want Rachel to have a love interest!

22. erica says:

I would just like to throw out there that in NO universe would Jesse St. James miss the opening of Funny Girl. What I’m really getting at here is that someone (Ryan Murphy) should bring Jonathan Groff back to my television set on Tuesday nights.

Please O:)?

23. Andrew Hass says:

Maybe we should wait to see the episode before judging anything about it.As for Darren Criss i don’t think he goes to the show’s producers and asks if he can sing in an episode.I don’t think he or any actor has that much power.Plus Darren has been singing on the show for over 3 years now and i’m not saying he sings good or not because i’m not a judge of singing ability.

24. kd83954 says:

The songs leaked and they’re FANTASTIC! Not While I’m Around and No One Is Alone are a capella and absolutely gorgeous. And just a FYI, Not While I’m Around is not a Blaine solo. Rachel, Sam, and Mercedes are all featured too. I think Darren sounds exceptionally beautiful on the latter one. I don’t understand why so many people hate his voice –he and Kevin have the strongest male voices on this show, in my opinion of course. Darren and Lea sound great together.

• Steven says:

They NEVER should have put Chord on Not While I’m Around! He BUTCHERED IT! If they must have Sam sing give him stuff Chord can handle like Justin Bieber. But putting him on Sondheim is in insult to that song! And Lea saved Darren’s mediocre butt on No Is Alone and Broadway Baby. Chris and Amber killed it, both excellent this week. I’ll stick to Lea’s Upright Cabaret versions which are so much better then the Ander’s produced Blam’d versions!

25. David says:

Glee, like everything is about the money – You ever think that the reason Blaine/Darren gets so many songs is that if you check iTunes and other outlets, that his songs probably sell the most? That is what is probably driving the producers to give him so many solos. The newbie tracks probably never sold – with that and the ratings, they dump the newbies – Think of it this way – They produce a show that say costs them $2 million to make – 10 million people buy just 1 99 cent song from that epiode they liked. BAM – 8 million profit – in addition to advertising, it’s a money stream – If Blaine songs are being sold the most, they will give him more opportunities – You like someone else, buy their songs… You don’t like em, don’t buy em – I think it’s one reason Sam/Chord has gotten less as well – his songs probably just don’t sell as much…

Anyways, don’t blame the actors – blame capitalism.

• kd83954 says:

This is really interesting. I think people do forget that Glee brings in quite a bit of money other ways for Fox: music being the big one. They also do quite well with DVR playback. Believe it or not, Darren has a very large fan base, which stems from his pre-Glee days with StarKid. That and he’s one of the most friendly and engaging celebrities in Hollywood (I swear everybody has a crush on Darren Criss, haha). It’s not surprising he gets a lot of songs. And I mean, there’s SIX (soon to be seven when Naya comes back) characters now –as opposed to 12+. This means the number of songs he sings won’t decrease.

• DVR says:

I’m sure advertisers are THRILLED people FF past the commercials they spend money on lol!. DVR play back don’t mean crap to advertisers that pay the Glee bills. I DVR Glee so I can FF past all the commercials and the Sam & Blaine stuff. Most people that DVR FF past the commercials!

26. Lauren says:

Stop hating on everyone guys! Until you know them personally, you can’t judge what or who they are and I’m pretty sure none of you do. Yes I get it we all have opinions, but how awful would you feel if you were an actor and read comments like these about you? Obviously Darren is good enough, otherwise they wouldn’t put him on the show. Don’t like him, simple, don’t watch the show. Alright? So please stop filling pages like these with your pathetic judgements, okay? I’m pretty sure fans of the show are supposed to support the cast in everything they do, not pull them down by saying ‘his voice isn’t blah blah blah, he’ll never be as good as.. she’s terrible… she doesn’t deserve to be on the show’ etc. They are called personal comments for a reason. Keep them to yourselves. Thank you.

27. TJ says:

Song are out and I listened, dear Darren you are no Broadway Baby, not in any Universe but your delusional mind! But keep trying to ride Lea’s Broadway coattails, it’s amusing. And Dear Glee, please don’t EVER let Chord Overstreet sing anything that requires real ability! His one verse in Not While I’m Around destroyed that song!

• Aries says:

Love the hate you are putting in comments. You obviously care enough to listen and comment on the song and the actors. You love Glee, you will never admit it! LOL

28. Jon says:

This is exactly the reason why I tuned out after the 100 episode run, too much Blaine I couldn’t take it, this is just stupid, how they try to make Darren a star when he isn’t, what a waste of a show that used to be good

29. Romany says:

You are all crazy! Rachel comes in first, then. Blaine followed by a tie for third of Mercedes, Sam, Santana, & Kurt . They all have beautiful voices and their own style!

30. sam says:

the producers of this show are not dumb, if they go in a direction then it means it have some profit for them. every person have their own opinion, it’s okay if you want to voice them out but there are better ways for doing so, trashing someone will not make you feel any better nor will effect the show.
    i personally love blaine’s voice (even though that puck is my favorite character then blaine and Artie), so if his solos are more than others then there is definetly a reason for that.

31. systers.org says:

Hi, i believe that i noticed you visited my website
    thus i got here to return the choose?.I am trying to in finding issues to enhance my website!I suppose its good enough to make use of a few of your ideas!!