American Idol Top 8 Results Recap: What Did You Think of Tonight's Outcome?

american-idol-top-8-results-recap-judges-save-sam-cj-malaya-dexterThe promise of the Judges’ Save hung heavy in the air tonight on American Idol‘s Top 8 results telecast — like the smell from an exhaust fan in the alley behind a fried-chicken restaurant or the lingering rot of Randy Jackson’s mentoring.

After all, Wednesday’s performance show marked a new peak for Season 13’s contestants. Risks were taken. Original tunes were performed. Backwards baseball caps were banished. (Or if they did rear their heinous heads, my brain CTRL+ALT+DEL’d them out of existence. Please let me know down in the comments.)

RELATED | American Idol‘s Majesty Rose Talks Early Front-Runner Status, Frozen Fumble, Coldplay Covers

In any event, with no one bellyflopping into the pool, the time seemed right for a Marky Mark-style round of “Good Vibrations,” a one-week reprieve from weeping relatives, maudlin exit packages and Jennifer Lopez pretending she’d voted to keep someone in the competiton while whispering “off with its head!” under her breath.

But just because The Save was anticipated doesn’t mean it actually happened. So let’s jump right to this week’s results.

RELATED | Idol Exclusive: Top 7 Week Theme Is…

Sent to Safety (in No Particular Order)
Dexter Roberts
Jena Irene
Caleb Johnson
Jessica Meuse
Alex Preston

Bottom 3 Vote-Getters
C.J. Harris
Malaya Watson
Sam Woolf

Lowest Vote-Getter
Sam Woolf

“Save-Me Song”
Sam delivered a decent but by no means compelling or memorable rendition of David Gray’s “Babylon.” But when you’ve got a crowd of teenaged girls being poked by invisible cattle prods — and faced with a terrible fate for a doe-eyed, fresh-faced boy who probably smells of fresh-baked bread and big, unrequited dreams — what do you think the end result will be?

And thus, when Ryan asked for the judges’ decision, it was J.Lo who weighed in. This, clearly, could only mean one thing. “We are unanimous,” she grinned. “We’re gonna use The Save tonight.”

Cue copious amounts of confetti. (This was his now, after all.) Cue C.J. and other Idol finalists flinging Sam’s body about like a toddler’s first paper airplane. And cue next week’s Top 8…Part Deux!

I’m gonna let Twitter MVP Maureen Van Zandt grab the mic for a moment:

Mmmhmm. Damn, Daughtry’s rendition of “Waiting for Superman” was incredible, no?

Your turn.

What did you think of Season 13 Top 8 results night? Was the Save used prudently? Was the right contestant even the bottom vote-getter? And how did you feel about Daughtry’s performance? (It was fantastic, obvs, but I suppose you’re allowed to disagree.) Take our poll below, then sound off on all those questions and more in the comments!

1. As predicted Sam is saved from going home. I don’t understand the crazy hysterics afterwards by the other contestants. Don’t they know that if they are in the bottom any week they are going home? There is no save left for them. Plus there was confetti like the dude just won the show. What? He didn’t earn that save with that song. He didn’t even seem that excited to be given that save. This was a very specific vote by the audience, it wasn’t an accident he was there. The save should be used on people that the judges think deserve another chance because the audience made a mistake, not just because the save is there so why not?

• Danny says:

Yea, but it was gonna be used on Sam or CJ probably. It looks like Dexter’s gonna stick around for awhile. I’m thinking Randy knows the vote totals when he says what he does about who’s safe.

• Foxfire says:

They’ve got to stop trying to make Randy the new Jimmy, it just doesn’t have the same ring of authority and I expect the exact opposite to happen to whatever Randy predicts.

• Linda says:

I think sam is better than cj or Malaya. After that hmm. I think Caleb or alex should win. Btw wth is with cj still here.nice guy but he diesnt belong in this show. Cj gf must have 20 phones or more,cause he isbt good. Sam,idky he isnt getting more votesㅎ girls love him and he has a great voice. I don’t,get it. I love Dexter,but the talent is caleb,alex jena and pink hair. In the end country may vote Dexter through. But most talent and star quality is Caleb. Imho and i remember pita,getting canned. They could have saved her chose not to. The save was used on casey.

• Julia says:

It’s JESSICA not pink hair girl!!!!!

• My Alter Ego says:

It’s Pia, not Pita — also the judges couldn’t have saved her, as the save had already been used.

• Laura Wilt says:

Maybe the voting is more fair this year since there is a cap on how many times you can vote. In previous seasons the teeny boppers could vote till their fingers bled.

• Tom22 says:

Jimmy had a lot to say in the studio sessions (he almost always had musician like Wil.i.am that he worked well with in the studio helping him translate gut understand of the sound he wanted into specific action directions for singers/arrangement… sometimes down to the word .. like “get” in HR’s Beautiful in season 10.. but many other such things) . his predictions about what america would like were far less interesting but at least he sometimes had slightly specific reasons to back his postulations (i.e. I think JImmy said something like “People call Scotty a “one trick pony” but I boy that is a trick that is going to pay dividends in the future” Mostly Jimmy’s comments outside of the studio were kind of lame but at least they had a little to them being “he really gave it all he had” etc.)

I know they shouldn’t try to mimic The Voice which is built around that concept. Idols biggest strength is in letting viewers see the young very inexperienced (sometimes high school musicals only, sometimes cafe wedding singers , very rarely with even limited commercial experience and … I’m not sure that anyone that ever had performed with big names or had a record contract won.. or even made it to the final 3 ? .

Even though I don’t think they should give us much about the coaching(even though I love it), it was fun to see at least a tiny bit of how the kids were taking to the coaching advice in a personal way. At least we could see that they -were- getting some advice from people with extensive recording experience and see a tiny bit of their eyes and posture and eagerness to be taught

Maybe they could put out “behind the scenes” extra footage available on the web? It could include a little bit more of the technical tips/instruction they received in sessions. They could make money with that in terms of web ad fees.. cross promotions and retaining interest)

Side Note: I thought that the camera work improved drastically from Wednesday night to Thursday night. They did use techniques and camera angles of the past and it just felt smoother and more interesting, and showed less empty stage and more faces and emotion.

• Alex should sing Straight Up by Paula Abdul. He should play the guitars at first to put on some beat, and then sing without it when the chorus starts. I know he’s gonna make the song unique, and he’s gonna put a twist on it. Could win Harry’s standing o.

• LeahKittyS says:

“Could win Harry’s standing o”
          Or unfavorable comparisons to Andrew Garcia. An acoustic take on that song has been done multiple times on this show (last year it was Candice Glover). I would not pick that for Alex.

• Erin says:

It was like everyone was trying to get all excited for this, but the lack of energy was overwhelming. Sam looked ready to go and then *smiled* at being saved. Wow. Such a letdown. At least if it was anyone else they would have played it up a bit. Not Good TV.

• Stormy says:

Read Sam’s bio. it may help you understand this young man and why he reacts as he does. He hasn’t had an easy time of it although it hasn’t been played up. He has more potential than CJ who is never going to be able to carry a tune.

• LeahKittyS says:

Up-vote for Stormy.

• Amy says:

Yes. What Stormy said. Exactly what I’ve been thinking all season about Sam’s background and his personality. I thought he’d be the one to go tonight and also thought/hoped they’d save him. Not because I think he’ll change much at this point (for a while I thought he might at least try to surprise us..but he’s got some growing or something to do first), but because of the sheer fact he’s got the vocal and musical goods, and potential to be a recording artist if he did grow and start connecting, emoting. Because of that I think he was a viable and worthy save. The only other one worthy would have been if Malaya gets voted off before CJ, they might have saved her too because of the growth she’s been showing…also save-worthy. Unless Same pulls off something and has a moment (which I at least would have liked to see this season, even as I gave up the idea he’d be the winner), I think he’ll go next week anyway, but I’m glad they gave him this…he’s deserving, I know they judges had hight hopes for him in the beginning, and feel they think he’s worth it and were rooting for him to just give us more.

• Amy says:

oops, “high” hopes.

• Alan Dvorkis says:

Totally agree. I suspected there was a reason the kid struggled to show his emotion. If he can ever get out of his shell, he will be something special. He never misses a note. His voice is beautiful. He is worthy save as potentially he could win. He probably needs years of therapy before it happens, but I can still hope. I enjoyed his Babylon. If you close your eyes and just listen, he is terrific.

• Amy says:

Totally agree with you Alan…I’ve often done that, just closed my eyes…and, to me, I could listen to that voice all day long. Great tone, perfect pitch, nice sound. And you are right…I don’t think he’s hit a wrong note all season. Yes, he needs to get over whatever keeps him from connecting to the audience, if he wants to be a performer, but I keep repeating what Keith said, because I feel the same…if he made a record tomorrow I’d buy it. I’ve already downloaded whatever is available from him. If he had turned out to have a different personality, he easily would have been top 2 or 3 this year, if not have won. I hope he finds his place post-Idol, because I’d love to buy his music.

• amesk says:

I agree, Sam’s problem is (for whatever reason) he is not able to create emotions on the stage. This a major problem for any live entertainer (singer, actor,…), so either he learns how to do it or not. If not he still can make living in music industry as e.g. back-up singer or studio recording singer (yes, I am talking about “elevator music”) – because he has nice (pleasant, soft) voice – I can listen to him 12 hrs a day (unlike C.J. which is mostly torture for my ears). Btw, I am glad judges used the save early enough, so now all that drama and bickering about saving is gone. It is creating a pressure on contestants – if you don’t want to go home be the best every time. My favorites are Alex, Jena, Caleb and Malaya (in that order).

• rio says:

Wasn’t he deserted by his mother? That would make anyone shy.

• MAB says:

Yes and his father has depression problems. Thank God for his grandparents. He has not had it easy.

• justsaying says:

No. that wouldnt make “ANYONE” shy. I hate it when people try to psychoanalyze and make excuses for people. Most everyone suffers from some for adversity or the other in their lifetime and each individual deals with it in different ways. A lot of people have been programmed by society to have a special sympathy for particular sob stories. And I think it’s crap. Just saying…

• darcy's evil twin says:

I think a lot of Sam’s problem is his age. Not everyone matures at the same rate. Allison Iraheta was a rarity for her age. I think Sam will be much more ready for this in a couple of years.

• Ben says:

While you are not wrong, Stormy – about even a single thing you said – I still do not agree that Sam deserved the save. He may be great one day. That day won’t be in the next seven weeks.

• Huh? says:

What happened to him? He doesn’t’t seem unloved, sick or impaired at all.

• Erin says:

None of that matters since it doesn’t change the fact that Sam is either unwilling or unable to take one note the judges have given him from the beginning. And that is what a justified ouster is all about. I don’t expect him to become a phony, but some growth and learning is expected. It will happen for him, just not on the show.

• duranmom says:

He needed a class in the Matt Geraud school of saves. The jumping and the whooping and the dropping to his knees was great when Matt got it. I think Sam is just too polite (not like that’s a bad thing) to whoop it up. Come on, his “Delia” is his grandma.

• flutiefan says:

that reminds me… what is Matt up to these days? he was quite talented (could run circles around the bland Sam).

• Tiff says:

Totally did not understand the confetti. And yeah, I felt like he was ready to go home, and the producers were like, “No. We need your babyface to sell to teenage girls.”

Whatever – he’ll be eliminated in a few weeks anyway. I’m even more annoyed now that it wasn’t used on Majesty – I know she didn’t do as well in the last few weeks, but she was WAY better than Sam…

• Name This Tune says:

He’ll be eliminated next week. Because what have you seen that is going to make you change your vote?

• Tess says:

The confetti – and really the use of the save in general – felt like a sad attempt at having a water cooler moment this season. It was the most anti-climatic save in the history of the show even with the confetti shower like Sam just won the whole shebang. What I don’t get though is what they think saving him does for the show – Sam was in the bottom 3 twice before tonight and he’s not improving in any capacity (his tone is fine and he doesn’t have pitch issues but he lacks passion and an emotional connection to anything he sings – you can’t tell if he’s singing something happy or sad because his face reads the same either way and his vocals are the same either way and I don’t see Randy or anyone else helping him with that). Do they really think he was worthy of that save at all?! I mean, granted Majesty’s save me performance was shakier than Sam’s but both had the same number of appearances in the bottom 3 and I think when someone’s been in trouble that much you’ve got to think using the save on them would be a waste because it won’t buy them that much more time and if by some chance it does, which better singer might get Pia’ed as a result?

• LeahKittyS says:

“Anticlimactic” is how you could describe this whole entire season. Just roll with it, is my advice. I’m happy right now, and unless a favorite eventually gets knock out in favor of Sam, Dexter, or (please no) C.J., I will stay happy.

• Amy says:

But there’s only 2 more weeks to use the save, am I right? And with Malaya and CJ, also consistently in the bottom 3 & viable to go next & next…those wouldn’t be “Pia moments” but instead the next rightful ones to leave. And after that, the save is no longer able to be used. And I just don’t think we’re going to have a Jena or Alex upset in the next 2 wks…that would have been a Pia, too-early-exit moment. (not that I was a Pia fan, but because I know she, at least, was a fan favorite and talented enough for it to be a shock that she left so early…though I forget what week it was for her.)

• Maya says:

Pia was voted off top 9. Which was ridiculous.

• karyn says:

I think you are too complacent that we won’t have an upset. It seems like people are actually using their limited votes for the singer that had the best performance this week, rather than just voting for everyone they don’t want to see eliminated. So all it would take is a bad performance to kick Alex or Jess out of the competition. Last night the judges were wimps for keeping the sweet kid with the good voice but no performance skills whatsoever (and who’s had weeks and weeks of coaching trying to develop them to absolutely no avail). If someone really talented (read Alex, Jena, Jessica, Caleb, in that order) gets eliminated in the next two weeks, it will be really unfair that no save is available for them.

• Teeny Bikini says:

It was pretty obvious he would be saved, but it was not deserved or earned. He has peaked (for this show, it seems). He still looks so uncomfortable its even uncomfortable to watch him. I’ve always hated the save. America is not voting for him for a reason…

• Mark says:

The save was wasted, but ultimately it won’t matter at all. In my opinion, the save should only be used on someone who has a legitimate shot to win. Sam has no chance. His performances have not inspired anybody to believe that he could be the winner at the end of May, and his consistent placement in the bottom three proves this. He will be eliminated again, and soon.

The fact that the save was used tells me two things about the show. First, they have set the finale dates in stone and needed to stretch the competition out a week to hit those dates. Second, The frontrunners must be so far out in front that there is no chance any of them will fall to the bottom in the next two weeks. Alex, Caleb, Jessica and probably Jena are trouncing the rest of the pack. CJ, Sam, and Malaya are being lapped. Dexter is probably treading water somewhere in the middle. If they had waited until a true frontrunner was in real danger, it would have been too late to use the save. So, in the end it will make difference at all.

• flutiefan says:

while i agree with pretty much everything you said, i just want to take issue with your #1 point. there is a set finale date, true. but the number of weeks doesn’t change, since next week there will be 2 contestants leaving. that’s the caveat of the save: it doesn’t change the total number of weeks, whether one went home this week and one went next week, or 2 go next week. it all evens out.

and you said what i’ve felt like screaming from the rooftops: you only use the save on a legit contender!

• deedee says:

The save made much more sense last week with Majesty.

• Amy says:

Not to me. And I was one who originally thought early on (Hollywood week and shortly after) it’d come down to a Magesty/Sam finale. I loved Magesty’s spirit, star-quality, and her voice during quiet, subtle performances like her audition. But time and again on the big performances she was constantly doing…her voice just wasn’t cutting it, to me..with her pitch all over the place and her throat and notes tightening…wasn’t pretty or strong at all to me. I mean I agree about all the Same criticisms…I feel the same, disappointed as I am that he didn’t live up to his vocal abilities in other areas of performance, emotionality, connection. I just think he deserved the save, musically, over Majesty. jmo. I understand why others feel he wasn’t worth it.

• Amy says:

oops..jeez…I mean “MaJesty.” I need that edit button!

• Amy says:

and “I understand the Sam criticisms”…sorry, it’s late…I just wanted to make sure the above made sense! I sure wish we would get the edit button!!

• deedee says:

@Amy, ok, both Sam and Majesty have had problems in different areas, so it comes down to personal taste. For me, Sam has peaked. I don’t see what he can do now that will suddenly make him shine brighter. Majesty, on the other hand, demonstrated great singing, star quality, stage presence, etc. She lost her way, but had the potential to find her center again. But … water under the bridge.

• antz says:

Yep it did. She was still figuring out her style while relating music with her life and I don’t think she had enough help with that. You listening to me MICHAEL SLEZAK? So get your resume ready. You’re a fun recapper but we need you in American Idol (I’m being real here). I want Majesty’s elimination to be the last most excruciating injustice in American Idol ever. Anyway, I thought the judges were saving the save for one of the frontrunners since they weren’t using in on Majesty.

• Wayne says:

Remember. Ricky Nelson LOL.

• jga94 says:

“I don;t understand the hysterics afterwards by the other contestants…” Uhmmmm…maybe because these people are actually decent people who are really friends with each other….is that too hard to believe?

• karyn says:

Completely agree. They just set up a tragic outcome in the next 2 weeks if someone with a real future gets booted b/c of a single bad performance (which the save is designed to prevent). Sam seems nice enough but I became convinced during his save me song (which should be the one time real emotion comes through with this kid) that he will never connect with a song or an audience. Randy always liked to say contestants “could sing the phone book” but he might as well have been for all the connection he showed to the lyrics of Babylon.

• Shazay says:

They are really pulling for Sam to win the whole thing. I’m not shocked. This will get his fans crazed and voting like crazy from here on in. Sam is going to win because he’s the love child of Scotty, Lee, Kris, and Phillip.
      I wish they’d have planned to use the save on Jessica if she ever needed it. Love her!

• flutiefan says:

i super enjoy Scotty, Lee, Kris, and Phillip. i cannot stand Sam. that was insulting to the real singers!
        and Jessica???? the goat-voiced girl? her vibrato is excruciatingly awful.

• Idolhead Ed says:

I read a comment that was quite enlightening and most probably correct. They did not save Sam because they thought he could win but thought it would peel off too many viewers. Something they just can’t afford. In seasons past that demo ruled the show.

• Yo says:

They were excited because they figure his save will postpone their demise for at least a week.

• diverityisgood says:

“The save should be used on people that the judges think deserve another chance because the audience made a mistake,” Exactly. So the judges thought Sam deserved another chance because the audience made a mistake. I concur with the judges. Well done judges!

2. Danny says:

I wouldn’t have saved Sam. They were gonna use it sometime though. What I’m more wondering about is Dexter’s starting to give me a Season 10 part deuce vibe. Average country guy who’s faring better than people he shouldn’t be.

• Tiff says:

I feel the same way, Danny – I don’t understand how Dexter is getting through, and I think he was at the top of the voting, too – maybe because his fans got scared that he was in the bottom three last week? Actually, I’m even more worried about CJ – that dude has managed to avoid being eliminated way too many times, for much crappier performances than either Majesty or Sam.

At this point, my top three is Jena, Caleb, and Alex, but Jessica and Malaya could easily be in there, too. The other three MUST go home before these five, or I will be VERY upset.

• Foxfire says:

Wouldn’t it be amazing if CJ finally started singing in tune? He would last a few weeks longer if he managed to do that because he’s a great performer and easy to relate to.

• Stormy says:

Do you own any bridges that you haven’t received paperwork on yet? Just kidding, but CJ is NEVER going to be able to carry a tune.

• Foxfire says:

Oh Stormy, you know I like CJ, but didn’t he sing in tune during his auditions? I’m still holding out hope for him.

• Mary says:

I can only contributed CJ escaping the bottom as either America is deaf or like Harry said don’t care when he goes into the studio and they auto tune the heck out of him. I guess why not, he will be like 90 percent of the current music being played on radio.

• Lynn says:

How is Dexter faring better than people he shouldn’t be? He did as good or better than CJ, Malaya or Sam. While he isn’t as good a vocalist as Sam, he certainly seems to want to be there, unlike Sam, and he listens to the judge’s advice.

• Danny says:

@Lynn- I’d agree with ya on he’s as good as CJ or Sam. Not Malaya though. The reason I got the vibe was because of how Randy said he would be safe. I’ve got a hunch that Randy knows the vote totals. I hope I’m wrong, but I’ve got this feeling Dexter is going to be in the final few, if not the finals itself.

• Lynn says:

@Danny – lol, not to worry, I don’t see Dexter making it past top 5, 4 max. The producers and judges love them some Jena, Alex and Caleb, and he’ll come in for his share of the “Jessica” treatment soon, I do believe. I just think that last night, he performed better than Malaya; he listened to what the judges said last week and followed their advice. Harry had to repeat last week’s advice to Malaya. I enjoy Malaya,her singing and her personality, but tackling the Queen of Soul at age, what, 16? is crazy. Bold, but wow, crazy, too.

• karyn says:

Randy predicted he would be safe b/c (I) the country vote is much stronger than people realize and I think Dexter is pulling that vote or he would have been in the bottom over and over by now and (ii) Dexter had a better performance this week than he has had all season, so why would he get less votes this time than he has when he did karaoke performances. I’m not a Dexter (or for that matter a country) fan, but his was one of the best this week and he deserved to be safe.

• MamaLis says:

I hate when the show starts and within 30 seconds I’m getting ticked off because I’m subjected to RANDY’s Ridiculata Reviews. Especially when in THIS room, Dexter was skewing low, Caleb was skewing average, and Alex was skewing high – and wasn’t even mentioned!!!!!!

• Teeny Bikini says:

Based on last night’s performance, Dexter earned his spot. I felt last night’s performance also showed some growth as well.

• marie says:

I agree, Teeny. I don’t understand why folks are not willing to credit Dexter with the really solid, pleasant voice he has. I think his One Mississippi the other night was quite lovely, and I enjoyed it.

• flutiefan says:

i’m a ginormous country fan, but everything Dexter has done so far has been pure karaoke. he finally showed artistry with One Mississippi, and i really enjoyed it. but he shouldn’t win. way too generic.

• RRM says:

Amen to that…those damned bro-country songs are really on high gear…we’ll have to accept the fact that Dexter ‘Karaoke’ Roberts and perhaps even CJ ‘Pitchy’ Harris are gonna end up outlasting more deserving contestants…you asked for it ‘Murica, you asked for it now we’re condemned with those two hooplas :/

• Name This Tune says:

I always find it funny that people forget who is voting. Southern females over the age of 35 from the South. Who like nice guys from small towns. Who do you think Dexter and CJ appeal to?

• Teeny Bikini says:

LOL. I threw some votes Dexter’s way last night – and I don’t fit into any of those categories. I thought he was solid last night. And it wouldn’t shock me if a lot of men vote for Dexter too.

• RRM says:

The whole state of Alabama votes for Dex, CJ and Jess…Jess I don’t mind ‘coz I like her but the other 2…won’t be surprised if Dexter and/or CJ makes it as far as top 4…god help us

• karyn says:

You (or someone else) keep(s) referring to the Alabama thing like that explains something but it doesn’t. First, one little state voting for its locals is not going to skew the national vote. Second, every contestant gets love from their home town/state (did you see the Michigan loves Malaya signs in the audience), so by that token, Alabamans’ votes will be divided between Dexter, CJ and Jess, i.e. splitting the vote, so they should all be getting less of the local love than the other contestants.

• Name That Tune says:

It’s a pattern that’s 12 years old. Southerners dominate this competition. So it isn’t just Alabama, but surrounding states that have empathy for the singer who comes from a little farming town. And the country vote is huge. Hell, country is huge even if you don’t live in the South.
            It doesn’t matter. Every year there will be a Dexter or CJ and they will come into the competition with a built-in fan base.

• Tom22 says:

I’ve had thoughts that run much deeper on the “why” the southern vote comes out. Does anyone have geographical breakdowns of the Nielsen market share and household penetration for Idol ? My theory is that the era of Variety shows never really died in the south. Hee-haw was on for decades after the prime time variety shows gave way on the networks by 1980 (on the national scene, I think The Osmonds were the last hold out.. but variety shows were still going strong in the earlier 70’s). The tradition of watching live music and general “yuck it up” sort of host and guest(judges sort of take the guest role) banter never died and I’d imagine people just sort of expect to watch something like that. There weren’t many years between the end of Hee-haw and the start of idol.

If I ask that in another thread somewhere, forgive me because this one is sort of dead by this point and I’d be curious to get an answer ….

• Huh? says:

I fit the demographic you describe but Caleb is the only one I think is any good at all!

• Amy says:

I feel the same Danny. I really do fear Dex is liable to pull that off…it’s feeling that way. I don’t dislike him, and I’m a fan of the country genre..but ironically, I was NOT a fan of our Season 10 winner, and likable as Dex is, not thinking he should take the whole thing based on a the large Idol-country demo. I’d say BECAUSE I’m such fan of country music…I was not a fan of our Season 10 winner..

• Joe says:

Dexter sings “kuntry” and looks like a fat young Elvis. He’s got this show on lockdown. I’d cue the confetti shower for him but they already blew the budget on it tonight. They’ll probably drop free tickets to the Idol tour in the hopes people show up to it.

3. Tommyo2000 says:

I won’t say it but it rhymes with thirst

• Tommyo2000 says:

Damn you people are fast!

• Danny says:

@Tommy- I’ve kinda gotta be. I’m on call for work at 11PM. That doesn’t mean I always go, but I’ve gotta leave if the phone rings. I’m hoping you people will hurry up.

• justsaying says:

I won’t say it but it rhymes with tool. Fine, i will say it. Fool. Oh and also a tool. Seriously. How long will it take for you people to realize that saying “first” and being the first to comment on a comment board is not cool? (wait. that rhymes too.) well. i won’t say this one, then. but it rhymes with Koosh.

• Danny says:

Maybe so, but I don’t really care what’s cool or not. I’m gonna post pretty early. If I’m first, fine. If not, that’s ok too. I’ve gotta be ready for work shortly after he posts his blog. I’m gonna see what other people have posted and comment on their stuff too. If that’s not cool- shrugs- I’ll live with being un-cool.

• Danny says:

A little add on to just- wow dude, you go analyze people’s names, what they’re doing, what they’re like off this board and you’re telling other people they’re uncool? You should change your name to “judgmental saying” it would fit ya better.

4. analythinker says:

“This was his now.” ROFL. Don’t ever change, Michael.

5. LeahKittyS says:

And now, a continuation of “American Idols and the Treasure of the Twelve Kingdoms”

(Scene: the island of Solumager. The eight remaining adventures continue through the jungle. They swat at biting mosquitoes.)
    Jena: So what was that red hair we found with King Kristopher’s mask?
    Alex: That was Lady Allison’s contribution. She was really close to Kris and Adam.
    Jessica: It’s amazing. Only 17 and she was one of their best advisors.
    Malaya: (Slaps her neck) Ah! When are these frickin’ mosquitoes gonna quit?
    Sam: Try to ignore them. We gotta find the next gate.
    Alex: According to the map, we’re looking for a purple sword.
    Jena: (Points) And there is is.
    (The others look and see the carving of a sword outlined in purple. They pass through the gate an enter the kingdom. The buildings are sturdy and tightly locked.)
    Dexter: It’s so tight. Like everyone was afraid of nuclear fallout or something.
    C.J.: (Reading the plaque on the tower) “Here stands the beacon of the kingdom of Valtus, domain of King David the Elder and his charge, the High Lord David the Younger.” That must have been confusing.
    Caleb: Hence why everybody called them the Elder and the Younger. And then there was a Lord David in the royal court.
    Malaya: Wow. Somebody didn’t have an imagination.
    Jessica: (takes out the map) “A king’s heart is not so easily won, so find the key and do what must be done.” Well, if that isn’t the most obvious one yet. The treasure is locked up in a vault.
    Sam: Yeah, but where’s the vault?
    Alex: Somewhere in the palace, I figure. Let’s have a look!
    (They enter the palace and start looking around the Great Hall. Finding nothing, they move on to the various hallways. Still nothing.)
    Jena: It’s kind of funny. The kingdom is called Valtus, and the treasure is in a vault.
    Alex: I know, right? Next thing you know, the key to the vault is a sword, like the one on the carving…
    (He stops walking and looks intently at a suit of armor against the wall holding a sword. He begins to dismantle the armor, but then it crashes down on him. The others rush over and find him with the helmet stuck on his head.)
    Jessica: Alex, we’re trying to find treasure here. This is no time to be playing dress-up.
    Alex: (Pulls the helmet off) I’m not. I found it. See?
    (The others look where the armor once stood, lift up the banner on the wall, and find the safe.)
    Dexter: Stand back, y’all. I got this.
    (He inserts the tip into the hole, and turns it. Caleb reaches in and pulls out a red stone, shaped like a human heart.)
    Caleb: This is King David’s heart stone. Legend has it these stones give songwriters their inspiration. Both the David’s were great songwriters.
    Sam: A lot of them in this court were. Lord Jason, Lady Brooke, Lady Carly, Lord Michael…I wish I could have met them.
    C.J.: (Looks out the nearest window) And…no sign of Black-beard! Let’s go!
    (They get outside, but then the pirates start wreaking their havoc on the village.)
    Dexter: Spoke too soon. Look out!
    (A musket ball nearly hits the team as they scatter and run for cover. They are separated and frightened. Two pirates grab Sam and lead him away.)
    Sam: Hey! Let me go! Guys! Help!
    (After a little more dodging and weaving, the other seven gather at the beacon tower door.)
    Jessica: All right, we’re cutting it close, but once we get this stone up to the top of the beacon tower, we’re good to go.
    Alex: Except for one thing.
    Jena: What’s that?
    Alex: The pirates have Sam!
    Malaya: What?!
    (They look down an unmarked path and see Black-beard and his crew walk away with a tied-up Sam in tow.)
    C.J.: Oh, no!
    Caleb: Well, guys, we’re gonna have to make a detour. It’s rescue mission time!
    (The seven of them follow the pirate’s trail into the dense jungle as quickly as they can.)
    TO BE CONTINUED…

• Danny says:

Did Jessica read that with her legs moving or were they stiff?

• Akash says:

Your posts are way too long to be not funny or interesting.

• LeahKittyS says:

I’m like Sheldon Cooper when it comes to sarcasm. How should I interpret this?

• Max says:

You should kill him/her. Critiques are not acceptable… :D

• LeahKittyS says:

Kill who? I’m not going to kill any of my fellow commenters.

• justsaying says:

Sadly, you’re right. Society now abhors criticism. And that being said, I will offer the following. LeahKittyS, besides having a really silly name (do you think putting kitty next to your name is super creative and cute?) , the fact that you waste time and energy writing these stupid “stories” (i use the term loosely) is rather sad. And the fact that you have people that actually find them enjoyable is sad too. Isn’t their a Renaissance Faire somewhere you should be getting ready for? Wait, no. That’s too cool and outdoorsy for you, actually. Shouldn’t you be saving your writing “talent” for cat memes? The saddest thing about all of this? You probably have a boyfriend and I don’t. Jumping off a bridge. Now.

• LeahKittyS says:

Okay, let’s get a few things straight:
            – The “Kitty” is because my middle initial is K and I love cats. Just like Majesty can be Majesty Rose because her middle initial is R and she loves flowers.
            – Don’t ever say anything is too outdoorsy for me. I am an avid bird watcher and am pursuing a degree in Wildlife and Conversation Biology. I am as big a tree hugger as anyone here.
            – Yes, I do have a boyfriend, who loves all the stories I have written, Idol related and not.
            – Why is it sad that people enjoy my work? Everyone has their interests. I don’t like football or heavy metal, but I d

• LeahKittyS says:

Oops, my phone cut me off.
            I don’t harp

• Anon says:

Wow. Even earlier than usual.
      Please just stop & I’ll leave it at that.

• MamaLis says:

Leah dear, you said something below that makes me have to ask this question: You don’t write these on your phone, do you? Please answer.

6. Timmah says:

What a waste of the save. Majesty was way more deserving.

• Akash says:

YES. Majesty only had two good performances on the live shows but you know what? That’s two more than f*cking Sam ever had. It blows too that now he’ll probably make at least F4 based on the save boost.

• Teeny Bikini says:

Totally totally totally agree.

• MamaLis says:

I think Sam will likely be voted off next week. Statistically, the odds are he’s gone.

The question is: Will Idol manipulate the outcome to make it appear the save was worth their while? That’s what I can’t wait to see.

Especially will all that news a week ago with the contract that went public from the Voice – with apparently a similar contract from AI – explicitly stating The Voice/AI has the right to manipulate/change ANY vote or outcome they feel would benefit the show!!! Shocker!

So I’m guessing Sam might “miraculously” move up in the rankings. ;-)

• MariMari says:

I have always felt the voting is rigged. :/

• MamaLis says:

Ya, it was a big news story about a week ago. You can Google it. This lawyer leaked his client’s contract from the Voice – though apparently AI has a similar contract.

The Contract says:
            – They can change the rules at any time.
            – They can eliminate contestants – even if they are “winning” with the public.
            – Ignore the shows voting system.

Also, contestants can be sued for $1million dollars if they go public with the contract info.

The lawyer said, “The second clause of the document says to contestants, ‘F*ck You.’ And if you missed it, the clauses that follow say, ‘F* ck You.”

So ya… actually, I was surprised in hearing all that was more than speculation.

• Lynn says:

This is old news. Idol has always.been able to discard votes. Voting is just a gimmick to get viewers invested in contestants and therefore the show.

• Teeny Bikini says:

@Aw… come on. You mean reality is not real. That is so not cool ;) I doubt that they’ll keep Sam – it’s clear people are bored with him, but I’ll be on the lookout for shenanigans (not that I can do anything, but it’s always fun to watch). Thanks for the heads up!

• Name This Tune says:

She is a girl and they are not letting go of the guys until they have to.

• Ben says:

Yes. I agreed with not saving Majesty last week. But now I want a do over. Sam is not going to survive more than 2 more weeks – its like the Giraud save, done because they want a save at this point in the season and not because of who they used it on. So frustrating.

The judges save is, in my opinion, there to save someone who has been eliminated contrary to where America had been placing them elsewhere in the season. Sam, like Majesty, was by this point fairly consistently in the bottom 3 – so for the same reason as Majesty, he should not have been saved. It’s a double standard.

7. M says:

Time for the part of the season that we all know far too well. The old American Idol…
    The American Idol that sent home Reinhart, JHud, Daughtry, etc.
    It’s shock eliminations time -____-
    Thought it was a bit of a waste of a save, but whatever. With the way they were blowing smoke up Sam’s rear into a realm more embarrassing than embarrassment itself, this was an obvious outcome.
    I might as well get used to the idea that Jess and Jena are gonna be shock eliminations.

• Tommyo2000 says:

Reinhart went home third, which meant she actually performed live every week of the entire season, not exactly a shock boot … Now the real shock boot, and appropriate use of the save,
      was Sanchez…. Worst boot, sans save, were JHUD, Daughtry Doolittle… Should have one but didn’t were Lambert and Bowersox….

8. scorpo says:

Isn’t it ironic that going into tonight’s telecast that Sam had the highest ranked song of all the contestants on iTunes? I guess we can see where the fans that count are voting.

• Sandy says:

I think Sam’s performance on iTunes definitely factored into the judges’ (and producers’) decision to save him. He might not be connecting with many of the TV viewers but his followers are clearly supporting his music. That’s a good sign if they’re looking for a singer with commercial appeal. Also, I think the judges gave him good advice this week on connecting with his audience without abandoning his “shy” demeanor. I’m interested to see how he applies it to his next performance.

• scorpo says:

Word

• Timmah says:

Sam’s been told lots of things so far, none of which he has applied to his performances. I don’t think he’s capable of connecting to an audience.

• karyn says:

He already had a chance to apply it in his next performance during his save me song and he had as much expression and connection in his face as if he was reading the weather off a teleprompter. I agree he has a good voice but he’s horrible on stage and just isn’t getting any better.

• MamaLis says:

Oh geez….. if Sam was charting high on iTunes.. now you’re making me refer back to my earlier post, which was that Idol has a contract stating they can change the voting outcome, even if it is different from the public and/or iTunes (legit) outcome!!

Innocent Sam with nice voice and the backstory….. I dunno…. now this is seeming fishy….

• Mary says:

I thought Alex charted higher???

• scorpo says:

I stand corrected! I missed that, Mary. Alex actually ranked much higher. I think it is still interesting that he was the lowest vote getter yet outranking most of his competition where it will really matter once the show is over.

• MamaLis says:

Why do you say he’s the lowest vote getter? The fact that he was called last has nothing to do with it.

• MariMari says:

I disagree. All the others called were in no particular order. And the “lowest” 3 MAY actually be the lowest 3, but we don’t know if CJ was higher/lower than Malaya. I do think that the save-me singer is “said” to be the lowest vote-getter. Of course, all of this voting-results could very likely be fantasy – – totally based on how producers want the show to progress toward an outcome they want. Yes – I am a conspiracy theorist. :)

• Leticia Prado says:

ok, so it might sound like a stupid question, but can you guys tell me how to check the charts for american idol on itunes? I never had the curiosity, and I am just lost.

• Shannon says:

#100 on the iTunes overall chart has sales of around 2000. So far Sam has peaked outside the top 100, so it is not like he is seeing huge sales.

9. Tommyo2000 says:

Bad decision… Is this kid any better than anybody else except CJ …and that’s a big maybe too, cause at least CJ sings from his gut, out of tune, but with some grit…

• Teeny Bikini says:

He actually looked ready to leave. I don’t why they just did’t let him go. I don’t think he’s ready for this sort of attention. I think the best he’s ever sounded was singing in front of 3 people at the audition. He will probably go next week. So it was a total waste.

10. Jobless says:

Massive waste of the save, at no point in the live shows has Sam earned this.

11. mydoctor93 says:

The only way in which this can end well is if CJ or Dexter leaves next… and for some reason I don’t think that’s happening.

12. Kaba says:

Short and sweet [sort of]:
    CJ must look like God to other people because that man is coasting on everything BUT his singing. To think we all thought Malaya would be the one coasting on personality.
    Waste of a save, but whatever.
    Daughtry was yess.

End.

13. Akash says:

This was such BULL ISH! Seriously. Sam has been TERRIBLE every week. And even in that save performance, he looked uncomfortable like he’d crapped his pants (which is how he looks every week). He is seriously not ready for a big stage and it’s a joke that they constantly give him better feedback than they do a real artist like Jessica Meuse (who could go out in a double elimination, especially with the judges constantly giving her muted praise).

Plus Sam will get a boost from this save and it’s so disheartening because this season — probably due to the voting restrictions — America was actually getting it right and voting by performances each week. And the one time they finally booted a WGWG, the judges reverse the decision.

Just as the Oscars need to go back to 5 Best Picture nominees, and just as the SAT’s are going back to a 1600 score, it is truly time for Idol to return to a clean game with no save.

• RRM says:

a bit too far…me thinks CJ’s been terrible every week (throw in karaoke Dexter)..at least Sam sings on pitch CJ’s like a watermelon dropped from a 25 floor-high building

• Akash says:

It’s a tie. They’re both terrible. I’m opposed to the save in general and I don’t think CJ, Sam or Dexter should be here.

• Teeny Bikini says:

Agreed. And it seems inevitable that one of these dudes will kick off someone who is an actual musician and with an amazing voice – like Jessica. That is when this “save” will really hurt.

• RRM says:

Not too worried about Jess…the Bama trio has the the Bama state (majority maybe) voting for them…but I’d rather Sam goes last and the Bama men go first, but it’s unlikely. I predict the Bro-country singing mule will be in the final 2 or at least top 3 with CJ :/

• w aterbug says:

Totally agree!

• :( says:

I agree, a total waste! But there is no double elimination next week. They built in an extra week for the save. I think Sam will barely avoid elimination next week, but go the next week. I think the judges already planned it before the show, and it looked like everybody knew.

• karyn says:

I think you are right. They knew they were going to use the save and had to do it in the next 2 weeks. Then they were afraid they’d have to use it on Dexter or CJ in the next 2 weeks and thought saving Sam makes sense b/c he’s young and cute and can actually sing.

14. Max says:

*Hell to the No
    I just thought I would correct one of your options ;)
    Quite frankly, there are probably going to be no surprise eliminations, so they might as well get the save out of the way. The problem is that this guarantees Sam two-three weeks of safety (during two of which hopefully Dexter and CJ are eliminated), so a front runner or someone who doesn’t deserve to might go home.

15. So this is our PRECIOUS SAVE for this season and what we’re waiting for how many weeks? lol… just for the girl viewers to stay up late at night…

16. Jim says:

what a waste of a safe…. next week now is likely to be a shocker like it was with pia and colton. Fanbases should rally to support their favorites. Next week could get ugly. I’m pulling for Jena and Alex

17. Kaba says:

Some people will say Majesty was more deserving of a save…
    I dunno. Even though Sam officially has hit the B3 for the third time…at least his wasn’t in a row.
    It’s kind of hard to have hope for someone that’s been in the same position every week 3 times.
    Majesty [probably] wouldn’t have been a good save and Sam probably won’t be a good one either.
    It’ll be funny to see him go home next week.

• Max says:

“It’ll be funny to see him go home next week.”
      Sometimes, I forget we are dealing with people’s dreams and careers, and I become insensitive to the contestants…
      I must admit, it would be pretty funny. :3

• Kaba says:

Maybe I’d be less inclined to remember that if I couldn’t recall AI’s success rate with contestants making it at least reasonably big.
        I hope for all the best, but..it’s still reality TV to the end >.>

18. Adam Reinaldy says:

What a BS save! Sam has been in the bottom three for three times, that says a lot about how he has lost his mojo and America is not really interested in seeing more from him anymore. And yet, last week, Majesty who had also been in the bottom three for three times and is much more interesting than this robotic bore, didn’t get saved. I understand, if we were to take into account the “save me” performances, Sam’s was indeed better than Majesty’s. However, it’s still not a performance worth saving.

His chances of getting into the finale ala Jessica Sanchez are extremely slim, given how often he’s been in the bottom, let alone win the whole thing. Why waste the save?

• wth says:

Agree. If they did not save Majesty, I would not expect them to save boring Sam.

• AB says:

It doesn’t even seem that the judges are watching those “sing for your life” performances, so I doubt they considered that Sam ‘s was a bit better than Majesty’s. I always have the feeling the judges are just pretending to debate the fate of these poor contestants and know exactly what they are going to do way in advance of the actual song. Sam did have a little more pep during his “save” performance and I think he may have briefly looked at someone in the audience, as Keith had suggested last night. (But the judges missed all of that!)

19. M says:

Also, the confetti…
    Isn’t that only for the winner?
    Pimping undertones? Foretelling the future?
    S’cuse me while I cry in my bathroom corner.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Yes, for an uninspired singer who was upstaged by floor lamps. Floor lamps! Give him confetti and celebrate this joyous occasion! This season… I feel sorry for the season 14 kids who might actually be talented. This just keeps getting sadder and sadder. So much for those proclamations from last night that “Idol is back!” Not so much.

• M says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one still baffled by how a bunch of outdated lamps were more intriguing than Sam last night.
        They might need to reserve that “Idol is back!” line for next season and pray… very, very, VERY hard for a juggernaut finalist group to make up season 14.

• Angie_Overrated says:

“Idol is back!” when we see Paula Hunt re-audition in January 2015 and she goes on to win the whole shebang. I’m trying my best to pretend that there is no season 13. Much like many high rise buildings skip the 13th floor because it’s an “unlucky” number… I’m going to pretend we jumped straight from 12 to 14.

• M says:

It’s a shame because I was truly hoping that this season would amount to something with all these changes…then all these underwhelming people came in.
            This feels like the voice s5 (for me at least) where everything was underwhelming until practically the end when Tessanne took the reigns finally. Only difference is that S5 started off with a pretty decent bang…this start off terribly.

• Angie_Overrated says:

The changes they made were awesome. What happened was they got a lot of very mediocre talent despite having made the right production changes. The top 3 or so are actually not bad at all, but in terms of top 13? Wow, those other 10 suck!

• Name This Tune says:

Don’t you think the talented ones have already put their application in for the next season of The Voice?

• AB says:

With the exception of Cassadee Pope, there hasn’t been much exposure for any of the Voice winners, has there? Maybe Danielle Bradbury, since she’s a lil ol country gal… Despite suckage of Idol for a while now, I think these contestants end up with more exposure than those on the Voice. The Voice is fun to watch, but to me it is all about the judges.

• Name That Tune says:

Oh this is just a circular argument. With ratings headed toward 7 million viewers this season, how much exposure do you think these guys are getting?
            And they cancelled American Idol in the UK due to low ratings . . . Which means the European market isn’t going to know who these guys are . . . Next to fall is South America and the Phillipines.

• Tom22 says:

Don’t confuse the point. He was asking about ability to sing, not about commercial success. Maybe you think people are successful because of singing talent but, I think it is a far different sort of talent that makes people commercial singers successful… something less about how well they sing and a lot more about a personality and a message that comes across in their songs even if the songs are written by others.
            I’ve written my longer share of thoughts for the week and this sort of thing starts to sound like CLO Greene without flushing it out. Artists fill a “time and a place” …. with shifts in attitudes so subtle they defy easy description. The most similar analogy is the looks back on fashion and the names people give the decades of the past and “generations” and crazes etc.. I’ll think more about ways to put that… if only to help me understand or enjoy the complexity of details (to the degree they suport the thought)

BTW… I noticed that the most experienced singers never won idol…. IDOL voters are looking for something fresher… or different… and those singers that have that AND a voice get farther and farther along. Idol’s selection process has a lot more “screen testing” involved.. and filming how kids do under extreme pressure, and fight in the face of what will wear any normal person down.

Between the rewarding of charm by viewers coupled with singing ability, and the weeding out by fire and selection of those with an inner fight to swim the raging cross currents of the industry.. the ones that make the live shows have a better chance of making it commercially than those selected far more on their voice more exclusively.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I hope not. I like both shows to be good. And the age thing heavily skews towards younger contestants on Idol. They just need to find the really talented kids and let The Voice do what it does with the 20s and 30s something contestants.

• deedee says:

Blame Per Blankens. Who showers confetti for a save? – A save used on a kid whose seen the bottom 3 three times? Even Sam looked uncomfortable with the whole over-the-top charade. Maybe to differentiate and keep it special, Uncle PB will insist on a different shade of confetti for the winner.

20. Danny says:

The extra week could have been put to a lot better use if they’d have used it back on the top 30 to let everyone sing.

21. Liz says:

I just have four words: Waste of a Save!
    LOL, OK well maybe more than just four… His “sing for your life” performance was really awful and many who sang before him that didn’t get saved were MUCH better.
    And the judge’s fake little powwow’s like they don’t already have their minds made up what they’re doing is ANNOYING!
    Now this will buy Sam a few more weeks regardless of how he does.

22. wth says:

What a waste of a save. What if Alex-Jena-Caleb-Jessica goes home the next few weeks?

• Teeny Bikini says:

Caleb? Probably not gonna happen. But I think Jess is is definitely vulnerable. And that would be sad.

• Honey Barlett says:

Jess stinks!

• NoFatBoys says:

Love Jessica! Jess, Gina with a J, and Alex…Top 3!!

• Teeny Bikini says:

Jessica was definitely in fine form this week. I agree with Keith I was staring at how immobile her legs were [I just couldn't help it. :)] – but the girl can sang. Alex has always been my dude. I think Jena would be probably correct you for not spelling her name wrong – like she does ;) This would be a fine Top 3, but I think we are still in for some shockers. At least, I hope.

23. If only majesty is save we have atleast hear her cover of COLDplay’s “VIolent Hill”…. that audition piece is so remarkable from me..

• Kaba says:

I really would have loved to listen to that…even though I have little inclination to believe that she would have lasted through this week I just really wanted to hear her voice be as serene and ever-so angelic as it used to be.

24. Gailer says:

This proves once and for all, no teens are watching this show! 😄

25. metintodd says:

Who the hell is voting for CJ and Dexter? They are both horrendous and deserve to go before Sam.

• Gailer says:

Ikr? Most of them are dreadful

• Name This Tune says:

Hate to repeat myself but Southern females over the age of 35.
      And Idol can’t afford to lose any more viewers, even if they are older, because the show is very close to having the fewest viewers it has ever had. We’ll know tomorrow, but tonight may have set Idol history for ennui.

26. Fran V says:

I thought Sam displayed more energy in his save song than he has all season. Not that that means a lot.

• Foxfire says:

I thought the same thing Fran, he put down his guitar and tried to move with the music a little.
      Baby steps I guess but there is hope for him.

• Tiff says:

I’m with you, Fran. I thought he was actually better in the save song. I think he needs to get rid of his guitar when he sings. His problem is stage presence and connection.

The thing is, Sam is actually a really good singer – he’s just not really ready for this platform or this stage. And because of that, I don’t think he deserved the save…

27. Mary says:

First of all who in H..l is voting for C.J. Is America that tone deaf? Second I am so disappointed with the judges decision to save Sam. Here is a WGWG who should be able to
    get votes by America without any help, really has the typical audience advantage and yet he has been in the bottom what two or three times. It is obvious that America do not want him to be the next Idol, yet they waste the save on him. I will be laughing next week when he is voted out. This was not a feel good moment, in fact I am quite disappointed at the moment. My feeling is just because their was a save doesn’t mean it had to be used, especially when it wasn’t warranted. JUDGES I gave you more credit than this.

• Stormy says:

My analysis is that modifying the voting put a stop to a tiny % of the population voting 10K Xs for cute boy. It’s leveled the field. As for CJ, [this is only my opinion] there hasn’t been a male A/A winner since Ruben 11 years ago. I’m sure that some people are voting on that basis.

• Teeny Bikini says:

LOL. All of the supposition about why voters vote for certain people is funny … If anything, I think CJ is the only one benefiting from some really good editing. They only show that sweet crying girlfriend, talk about his hardships in his youth juxtaposed with him just being the nicest, humblest, most grateful dude ever. Even I got all mushy and wanted to vote for him when I saw picks of him as a kid – and I’m cranky and jaded and want him to go away worse than pimple in the middle of my forehead. It’s just so easy to vote for someone who is nice and tries so hard. It could be that simple.

• Joe says:

CJ has the competition right where he wants it. When he sings out of tune Harry is “mean” and gets booed and people vote. When he sings slightly in tune J. Lo cries like a puppy with a broken leg just ran across the floor to it’s master and people vote. The only way he won’t get votes is to poop on the stage and fling it at the camera/America.

28. Laura says:

Sam is my favorite contestant and he does get better every single week. I’m not saying he is perfect, and I am not deluded to think he is going to win, but I do think he has a bright future ahead of him. His original music is beautiful and I think he would have done as well as Jess or Alex had he been able to sing his own music this week. I personally am very happy they used the save on him.

29. Amanda says:

It’s really unfortunate that they didn’t use the save on Majesty last week. I feel like she would’ve gained her confidence back by performing “Violet Hill” and rode that wave for awhile. Instead we get Sam with the save. Seriously, show?

• Julie says:

I agree 100% – they all did well because they were singing songs that were comfortable and familiar to them. I would have loved to have seen Majesty perform her audition song, and I think she would have really done well with the right 80’s song this week too. The save should have been used on her.

30. Stephanie says:

I’m glad they saved Sam. He has the most beautiful voice of all he contestants this year. He’s just young–I think he’ll gain a lot of stage presence with experience. Honestly, only he, Jena and Alex sound like contemporary recording artists, a least for top 40 radio. But Sam needs o BRING IT next week. I can’t believe CJ outlasted him.

• Gailer says:

I have to agree, Sam is green, that’s all, they should have told him to come back the next year

• Stormy says:

Maybe, but I’m glad for all of the experience he’ll gain on the tour. That and interacting with more people his own age [as opposed to his grandparents friends on the costa geriatrica] will give him polish and confidence.

• MamaLis says:

Ha.

“We’re using the SAVE! It’s good for one guaranteed return performance…….. February 2015.”

• Amen to that. Sam AND Malaya will be much better with a couple of years more maturity (control for Malaya, confidence and experience for Sam). Different for everyone, I guess, as it’s hard to fathom Jena and Sam are the same age and she’s light-years beyond him in stage presence.

31. wth says:

CJ-Dexter-Sam could go far ala-Jacob Lusk style.
    PLEASE DON’T let that happen.

• Foxfire says:

Jacob Lusk was torture to watch perform. I’ve never seen such over emoting and histrionics.

• kate'shomesick says:

Are you being serious right now? CJ maybe but Sam (and it pains me to say: also Dexter) are by far better singers than Jacob Lusk…ugh…just thinking of the “lusky stank”…

• wth says:

I never meant vocal quality. What I meant was Jacob went further than what should be. And Sam-CJ-Dexter might do that (and outlast Jena-Caleb-Alex-Jessica)

32. wth says:

Since it’s Top 8 again are we going to endure four duets next week?

Can the producers let them sing solos twice, or just extend their solos to more than 2 minutes?

33. tealeaves says:

Are there only 2 weeks left for the save? They gambled that there won’t be a shocking elimination in the next 2 weeks.

• Gailer says:

I don’t think any would be shocking really. They aren’t that great.

• tealeaves says:

Jessica, Alex, and Caleb have never been in the bottom 3. So I think it would be shocking if any of them got the boot in the next two weeks. I think any of them would deserve a save. Also, if Jena lands in the bottom soon, they would want the save for her.
        Sam, Malaya, CJ, and Dexter have all been in and out of the bottom 3. I think they gambled that the next two going home would be out of this group, so they might as well use the save now and save someone who always sings well.

• Lynn says:

All they did was buy Sam another week, for what exactly I’m not sure. CJ sure can’t get any worse and Malaya and Dexter will only get better.

34. Eurydice says:

I don’t mind that they used the save on Sam. At this point, I think the only one they wouldn’t have saved would be CJ. And now we don’t have to hear any more shaky songs for their lives, a plus as far as I’m concerned. The confetti was pretty funny, I loved seeing Sam’s legs waving around in the air as he was being tossed up and down. This show has had a lot of strange little moments of physical humor this season.

• LeahKittyS says:

I agree with all of this. Sam might not be the strongest competitor, but now this means that CJ or Dexter being saved is completely out of the question. And have you heard him in the studio? Magic.

• Kojin says:

Amen Leah, AMEN! Hope those two aforementioned gets the boot before Sam.

• Mary says:

I understand what you are saying but for some god awful reason America is voting for these two guys which leaves some of the talented singers vulnerable. For some reason we have either CJ or Dexter in the bottom, I believe they have never been there together. If Sam followers stand behind him next week he will be safe that leaves one of the good singers in bottom. If America feels they might be safe and vote for someone else they think might need it say Malaya because she was in the bottom this week then we probably would end up with a shock boot – which is why the safe was put into play. I feel is shouldn’t be used as a ploy to hopefully get ratings. If they never end up using the safe have a week where nobody goes home and combine the scores.
        Personally all they did was irk the audience they do have, which is dwindling.

• Foxfire says:

Personally, I’m glad the save is over with as well.

35. It worries me that the judges thought Sam was worthy of a save. He is one of the three singers who I believe SHOULD be going within the next few weeks. Michael Lynche, Casey Abrams and Jessica Sanchez all received the least amount of votes long before they should be eliminated, which is why the save is a great thing. But Sam is Matt Giraud 2.0 in the sense that I can see him lasting maybe two or three more weeks, but if he outlasts Jena, Alex, Caleb, Jessica, or Malaya I’ll be livid.

• wth says:

At least Matt gave some performances in the live rounds that are good. Sam did not.

• Kaba says:

Amen.
      I feel as if the save should only ever be used if the contestant can most certainly go all the way…or if they get to the last week and why the hell not?

• LeahKittyS says:

But what if they got to the last week and the person they had to save was C.J.? I’m fine with the judges saving Sam. I don’t see him taking out one of my favorites.

• Kaba says:

This is CJ we’re talking about.
          If the last person they could use it on was CJ…the HEYALLL would be strong with my “no”.

• Mary says:

That is easy don’t use it or change it to top 4. It is not like they haven’t change the rules as we go along. It was never used last year and to be honest there wasn’t a need for it.

• darcy the slutty twin says:

Take Michael Lynch out of that list and I’ll agree. I also thought Matt Giraud deserved the save.

• The thing with Michael Lynch was that Tim Urban, Katie Stevens, Andrew Garcia, and Aaron Kelly were all worse than he was. Siobhan Magnus and Casey James were delivering performances on par with him. And Matt Giraud is easy to look back on now knowing that he wasn’t eliminated before Allison, Adam or Kris, but if Allison had gone the week after the save was used (which was possible) it would have been devastating.

36. Karen says:

Wrong call judges! If Alex, Caleb, Jena, or Jessica (perhaps even Malaya) are on the chopping block in the next two weeks, you are solely to blame. Sam is perfectly fine, but he has yet to live up to his pre-liveshow hype. Great voice, but no stage-presence or connection to his lyrics whatsoever.

• Name This Tune says:

Really? Are you planning on changing your vote next week to make a point? Because I am not going to change a thing.

37. marie says:

I’ve decided I hate the whole concept of the save. It’s just there to add some high drama, and it’s an artifact of the old production team. I don’t like manufactured drama.
    As someone else already pointed out, Sam had already been in the bottom three three times. The audience doesn’t want him in the competition. That should be the bottom line.
    And the confetti shower! How ridiculous was that!
    Next week’s theme is The Eighties. I’m bored already.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Personally I like the 80s music! It will be interesting to hear what these kids do with the songs – we might get some different interpretations. Who knows?
      Anyway, re: the Save – you may be right in that it adds drama. the one year there was HIGH drama was when they saved Casey Abrams. Anyway, we all know this is more than just a “singing competition”.

38. Rex Master says:

It would be funny if Sam gets eliminated next week. It would be an Idol first, where a save contestant gets eliminated the following week.

• LeahKittyS says:

I beg to differ. I know the Save wasn’t technically used last year, but we all know Amber Holcomb was going home the first Top 4 week. By not eliminating anyone that week, the producers used the “Save” on her. And then she went home the following week. So this would be the second time, if it happens this year. Just the way I see it.

39. Kojin says:

Well, as much as I wanted Majesty saved last week, it was good that they gave the save to Sam. Seriously, everyone calling him terrible needs to have their ears fixed. Except for a below par version of Come Together, he has been giving excellent vocals amid quite timid performances. And his version of Lego House both live and the itunes one is stellar, I can’t even make out the words when Ed sings it but Sam’s enunciation is pretty great, plus the tone is rich.

By the looks of it he’ll probably end as high as Matt of Season 5 did (or maybe even lower), but to see him actually leave the show before Dexter, CJ and to some extent Malaya and Jess is infuriating. Hope he steps up in the following weeks.

40. Rex Master says:

I have a bad feeling about this save. It could be season 10 all over again where they wasted the save and Pia Toscano got eliminated.

41. danin says:

I don’t know what possessed me, I guess I was killing time this afternoon and checked how many followers the remaing contestants have on twitter.Sam’s was the last account I checked. And from what I could see he has the most followers at 50,0000+. Caleb had the least w/10 grand. Alex had 38,000. Jesse about 20 grand, Jena 13thou and change, CJ, about the same as Jena, Dexter Roberts who finally sang a real sweet song last night and has a pagent smile hahaha, has 16,500 and finally little Malaya has 25 thou. I don’t know if these #’s are an indication of everythinh at all.I didn’t check their FB or Tumbler or Instagram figures. Also, I wonder if 2 will go home next week now?

• LeahKittyS says:

No, only one person is leaving next week. Like last year, there is an extra week built into the schedule this year.

42. Chablis says:

They know the vote totals. CJ or Dexter is very close to Sam ‘s total. They’re counting on a bump for Sam. With CJ or dexter next two to go. And they end up With top 5 they want. IMO

• Lynn says:

Kinda curious here. With Idol dropping at least 500,000 viewers a week and voting being limited (compared to other seasons, lol) how is Sam gonna get a bump? Will any of CJ or Dexter’s fans vote for him, knowing there isn’t a save and their favorite could go home? Now that there is no second chance every vote counts and fan bases start to become important. Who does Sam have to pull from? Dexter’s gonna pull out the country card, CJ the song his grandma loved for him to sing and what’s left for Sam?

43. CallumL says:

WTF WHY WAS SAM IN THE BOTTOM 3 AND MORE IMPORTANTLY… WHY WAS HE THE BOTTOM VOTE GETTER?????? HE WAS AMAZING LAST NIGHT, BETTER THAN CJ, DEXTER, CALEB, AND MALAYA!!!! CALEB IS SO F***ING ANNOYING DO SOMETHING INTERESTING… CJ SUCKS AS A SINGER, AND DEXTER IS JUST ANNOYING AND KEEPS RUINING THE ONLY COUNTRY SONGS I LIKE! IF SAM DOES NOT GET INTO TOP 4 AT LEAST I WILL KILL SOMEONE

ITS JUST LIKE LAST YEAR, DEVIN WAS THE BEST GUY AND THE SECOND BEST IN THE COMPETITION AND YET THIS YEAR THE JUDGES MADE THE RIGHT DECISION BY SAVING HIM!!

44. Lynn says:

The entire season sucks. Save was a joke. Refuse to watch. Nice kids. Just not interesting. Except Alex. Quirky. Caleb is fun. That’s about it.

45. Hannah says:

Did anyone else catch malayia screaming at sam “PICK ONE!” before she left the stage? ahhaha that was really cute

46. The Orginal Lemon says:

This may be cynical, but they may have just wanted the save out of the way at this point. Also, aren’t Sam’s iTunes songs doing pretty well? I’m fine with their decision.

47. NedPepper says:

So, Majesty gets the boot, but Sam deserves to stay? Ugh. This season could get ugly real fast. Dexter is probably going to win. If he gets in the top Four, I may be done. And how is CJ still around?

48. Amy says:

Loved that tweet about “using the save on Daughtry!) LOL. I’m for that…I still haven’t forgiven that…though I’m glad he went on to experience the “success as best revenge” adage. That was the first & only time I logged on to the AI site to rant and rail…vowing to be “DONE with Idol!” Yes..lol…we see how that went…I became loonier than ever shortly after (Season 7.) Glad I stayed.

49. Marie says:

This is why the save is a stupid idea. They wasted it on a kid who has been in the Bottom 3 of the voting for 3 or 4 straight weeks and who has basically no chance of winning the show. So if Jena or Jess or Alex or Caleb gets the lowest # of votes next week, the show loses a much better artist. If they are going to keep the save (which they shouldn’t), then there shouldn’t be a requirement that it has to be used. If it isn’t used, well then, it isn’t used. Sam should have been sent home. He is clearly not ready for any of this.

And what was up with the confetti??? Lame…

50. Leah says:

On one hand I find it good that the audience this year is actually voting on performances (sam would have probably won if this was another season) but on the other hand, it shows that idol is losing its die hard fans that will support their favorites no matter what. I feel like with the fan bases this year from what i’ve seen around me and online aren’t as passionate about their favorites and I miss that a little bit.

• Mary says:

I am with you on this but to be honest I haven’t been passionate about any contestant since season 8. I think a lot of it is due to age of show and I have to say the contestants they have picked. I have a couple of favorites this year and I only vote for them but to be honest I don’t watch the result show at all. I might if they had one of my favorite former idols back but I come here to see who is eliminated.