Report: Michael Strahan Joining ABC's GMA

Michael Strahan Joins Good Morning AmericaGood Morning America is reportedly drafting a onetime Giant to beef up its ranks.

On the heels of news anchor Josh Elliot’s abrupt exit earlier this week — and the subsequent promotion of Amy Robach to take over that position — CNN is reporting that ABC soon will announce that Live With Kelly & Michael cohost Michael Strahan is joining the morning program.

Citing well-placed sources, CNN says Strahan would keep his Live gig, appearing in occasional GMA segments starting at 7 am at their (TVLine-adjacent!) Times Square studio, before heading uptown to do Live with Kelly Ripa.

ABC News President Ben Sherwood alluded to additional moves to come in a memorandum to staffers about Robach’s promotion, saying, “In the days ahead, there will be more good news on the show, so stay tuned.”

Strahan’s reported hire also comes months after Sam Champion was lured away from GMA by The Weather Channel.

1. Leigh says:

Wow. Should be interesting to see if it works. But Michael is fun to watch. Good luck to him!

2. Ms Thing says:

Michael Strahan woukd be a great addition. GMA. Looking forward to see him with the rest of the hosts.

3. Chablis says:

He’ll burn himself out with this schedule then throw in his football schedule. Wonder if it’s a trial run? Wonder what Kelly Ripa thinks?

4. lll says:

If it works out, he cant do all three jobs. He’s going to be forced to cut one. Wonder which one.

5. gapped tooth b!tch says:

Michael is great. I just have a problem with gapped teeth, its literally all I can see when he talks. He clearly makes a lot of money, why not fix it?

6. Don’t enjoy Michael Strahan on Live and won’t enjoy him on GMA — with Josh and Sam gone GMA isn’t than good!!!

• Rjrtist says:

Agreed. Strahan is stretched too thin as it is, plus he is not a good interviewer. GMA stands for Gal Morning America now.

• Kim R says:

I have stopped watching Live because of their choice of co-host in Michael. I’m sure he is a lovely man but for me he lacks skills as an interviewer and his attempts at being funny fall flat. I find him awkward and wish they would have given Kelly someone with a natural wit to play off of. I don’t know in what capacity he will be joining GMA but I’m doubtful if it will be my cup of tea. We’ll see. :)

7. GeoDiva says:

Was hoping this meant that Anderson Cooper could join Kelly on Live. He was a better co-host for her.

8. Brittany says:

I love Michael, but wonder if this is a “transition” to get NPH as the co-host of Live now that HIMYM is done.

9. Blondie72697 says:

Um, are you sure this isn’t an April Fools joke? Because I can see this not being true, but if it IS true then he will be missed in Live with Kelly Michael, but I don’t think its true!!

10. Forwardad says:

It said he’ll do both. Perhaps he’ll do sports stories.

11. ljd213 says:

ABC will regret not paying Josh Elliott what he wanted and what he’s worth. Not a Strahan fan, then I’m not a fan of Ripa/Strahan like I wasn’t a fan of Regis/Ripa. So I will probably skip any Strahan segments, sorry GMA which I really usually love.

12. Andrew Hass says:

I’m happy for Strahan but i’m worried that he could get burnt out.However he may not be on GMA everyday and his segments may not be that long or some could be taped.

13. Gerald says:

They definitely need more testosterone on GMA. I was thinking they might up Cameron Matheson.to a co host position. Not sure Strahan would fill what is missing.

14. Fabulous, what a webpage it is! This weblog provides valuable facts to us, keep it up.

15. sheila says:

GMA has lost me for sure. Channel 7 is in the tank and they think Michael Strahan can save it? He’s not all that with Kelly Ripa , what makes them think he can successfully work these two morning shows? …For my morning, Good Bye America!

16. Jean cassady says:

Strahan, Really!
    Why not choose someone with some journalistic background. Why not try someone like Ron Claiborne. He has personality and experience. I’m sure there are others as accredited in their field as he.
    I’m sure you have big shoes to fill (not literally) after losing Josh and Sam.
    I have recently switched to CBS. They are more news worthy and professional.
    I would like to stay with ABC, but not if your choices continue in this direction.