Pharrell Williams Named New Voice Coach

Pharrell-Williams-new-Voice-coachIt looks like The Voice‘s trademark red chairs are about to be transported to a room without a roof.

Pharrell Williams is joining NBC’s smash-hit singing competition as a new coach for Season 7, replacing the departing Cee Lo Green.

RELATED | The Voice Exclusive Video: What You Didn’t See on This Week’s Battle Rounds!

The network announced the news via a series of goofy hints on the show’s official Twitter account.

The Voice had previously been on a rotating schedule of coaches, with Shakira and Usher subbing in for Christina Aguilera and Green during Seasons 4 and 6. Following Green’s decision not to rejoin the series, NBC was forced to find a new replacement for Season 7.

Do you think Williams is a fitting addition to the Voice family? Drop a comment with your thoughts on the new coach below.

1. Muriel says:

Yay, love him!

2. MattArmando says:

So him and Christina will do every fall season while Usher and Shakira do every spring season, I’m gathering?

3. Jess says:

Christina’s baby is due soon. And they usually film auditions in the summer, correct? I wonder if she’ll be returning or ….? Love her though.

Also I’m surprised Adam and Blake aren’t sick and tired of during the show by now.

4. Shannon says:

I wonder if Christina will take a break from The Voice for awhile when she has her baby.

5. Tiff says:

Brilliant casting – he’s a producer who knows how to make hits. I don’t love all of his taste in music, but I think he’s a fantastic choice as a mentor – someone who’s been in the business for a LONG time and has propped up the careers of many others already. I’m looking forward to seeing him in action.

6. Amy says:

Unless he doesn’t want to do it 2x a year, why not just keep Usher each cycle?

7. SoozinCA says:

I think Pharrell is a perfect choice to replace CeeLo on The Voice. I’m wondering what Xtina is going to do in Season 7 with a baby on the way. Could there be a replacement for her too, or might Shakira stay on?

8. DV says:

When is NBC gonna get rid of the whole singing competition part of this show and just do a reality show where the actual cast of judges sit and banter back and forth. Given how unsuccessful and unknown the “winners” remain, that is what people watch on this show right?

• Androme says:

Sure that could work, but it just wont happen because The Voice is still a hit and the network would be foolish to remove part of what makes it its biggest hit in a decade.

9. Jenny says:

As much as I love Blake and Adam they need to take a break. I need a break from them just for a bit.

10. Ezzy says:

Pitbull should be a coach. I don’t know but I think he’d make a great mentor.

11. Alexandre Therrien says:

I think Chris Martin should replace Adam Levine and Kelly Clarkson should take over for Christina Aguilera. And who knows about Blake, he’ll probably stay… I seriously don’t know if this is too much changes for the panel, but it’s be a pretty amazing panel!

12. Anne says:

I like this choice, but part of me was wondering if they weren’t going to try a season with two female judges. Both Shakira and Xtina tend to sway some female contestants with the whole “as a woman I know how to help you best” so it would be interesting to kind of eliminate that necessity if there were two women to chose from.

13. abz says:

I was definitely hoping for a season with two female and two male coaches. It would be nice to see a season with both Shakira and Xtina, but since Pharrell is on the show, I hope Xtina can at least come back.

14. Brooke says:

Oh man… I think I’m gonna have to watch this show now!! I love me some Pharrell!!!

15. Maris says:

I see that replacing judges with others of similar complexion is still the way to go

16. 'A' is Alive says:

Well with Christina having a baby sometime in LATE September to October, I don’t think she will be returning for Season 7. So maybe they’ll have Shakira do Season 7 and then have Christina back in Season 9 the next Fall (so she can like go on a “maternity” leave)? Or they might just hire someone new like with Pharrell. But I highly doubt she will be returning for the next season.. So expect some news about that in the next month or two… But if they do replace her with someone new just for that season, I hope its Kelly Rowland! She’s a great judge and mentor! She would do real well! I could see her, Pharrell, Adam, and Blake being on the same panel. (Tbh, its time for Blake and Adam to take a break.. Love them, but its time for a break.)

17. abz says:

I kind of want Adam to take a break if only so we can get some new Maroon 5 music, but I still love him and Blake on the show.

18. Mary Godin says:

I was hoping Usher would take that spot. He is really a great couch. I don’t know about Phirrell. He sure can’t fill Ushers shoes. I love Usher and I hope he stays.

19. adreyesatl says:

If they need a sub for Christina, I’d love to see either Kelly Clarkson or Pink. I wouldn’t mind some Mary J. Blige either.

20. fina says:

Blake should be replaced by Luke Bryan!

21. DavidSask says:

Adam and Blake are the only ones who need a holiday from the show, make it happen already esp the first as he is king of douches and the fast forward button!

22. This makes me, er, happy. Haha

23. polarvortex says:

So do you think Phirrell will have Daft Punk as mentors? :)

24. Hodan says:

I love Pharrell. Good casting decision.

25. Regina Knudstrup says:

Great choice! He did a great job on Season 4 with Usher and Michelle Chamuel.

26. Marlene says:

I think Pharrell is a GREAT choice. He is extremely talented in many areas and did an awesome job on Season 4 as a mentor, which means he’s already familiar with the show. Personally, I would leave things just as they are. However, I’m sure the right choice will be made. Either way…The Voice is on my TV every airing. #luvthevoice.

27. Ronni Levski says:

Pharrell as a new coach? Don’t know how he’ll do, but tbh, it can’t be any worse than Ceelo… Remember “Walking on Sunshine”?

28. Nancy says:

No pharrel, no ceelo, keep Shakira, Blake, Adam and Usher. Great chemistry and respect for each other and the singers.

29. andri iona Ciccone says:

Loved the Jill inference. Pharell & Martin make the list.Can’t have them all thematically.After all Gwen clinched her chair.

30. Ayegotcha says:

No, don’t care for either of the new judges they have for next season. Love all 4 that they have right now! They work well together!

31. Emily says:

It really doesn’t matter to me. Hopefully Pharrell makes it worth watching as much as Usher. I know Gwen will make it interesting. Will say last season was the best to watch as far as judges go….

32. Christina says: