The How I Met Your Mother Series Finale: Share Your Thoughts and Grade It! [UPDATED]

How I Met Your Mother Series FinaleMajor spoiler alert! If you have yet to watch Monday’s series finale of How I Met Your Mother, avert your eyes now. Everyone else, read on…

Ted’s journey came to a close on Monday as How I Met Your Mother finally unveiled how the bachelor met his children’s mama and (finally!) revealed her name. (It’s been nice getting to know you, Tracy Mosby.)

PHOTOS | HIMYM Series Finale: The Big Mother Reveal and 15 More Memorable Moments

But that was just the tip of the iceberg. Hopping around in time between 2013 and 2030, the series finale offered an emotional and funny — but not particularly surprising — glimpse at the gang’s future. Let’s start at the beginning…

SEPTEMBER 2005 | Kicking things off with what could have been a scene from early Season 1, Lily inducts Robin into the gang. She wants to keep the gal a part of their lives forever, so she forbids Barney and Ted from banging her – unless they marry her.

MAY 2013 | Ted’s ready to go “onwards and upwards” when he spots the pretty bassist at Barney and Robin’s wedding. The newly married groom wants to play a game of “Have you met Ted?” with them, but Ted is about to leave. The gang makes its way outside to say goodbye, and Alyson Hannigan delivers what will be the first of her many impressive waterworks during the hour. (At least Ted’s strange, E.T. goodbye with Lily makes things easier to bear.) “It helped that that was really creepy,” she says. “I don’t want to see you for a while.” But a mere 24 hours later, she and Marshall run into Ted at MacLaren’s. That whole moving to Chicago thing? Forget it! He’s got a date with the cute bassist. Marshall’s worried about Ted falling in love and getting his heart broken again, but Lily can sense that this time is different. (By the way, Ted’s wounded hand at the train station? That came from the ultimate farewell high five with Barney.)

RELATED | HIMYM Boss Breaks Silence on Controversial Finale

2015 | Ted and The Mother are planning their grand wedding when she reveals that getting hitched in September may prove problematic. You see, she wants to be able to fit into her dress… and the baby growing in her belly will soon make that impossible. Meanwhile, another couple isn’t doing quite as well. Robin’s travel-heavy work schedule has taken its toll on her marriage to Barney. While they’re in Argentina, she ends up offering him an exit at the three-year ramp; he takes it, recalling that he promised to always tell her the truth.

2016 | A preggers Lily and Marshall decide to move to a bigger place as the cockamouse makes one final appearance. Robin shows up at their Halloween/goodbye-apartment party, where Barney is back to his old ways and Ted is still wearing his hanging chad outfit. When Lily gets upset that the gang is falling apart, Robin points out that the gang is now a married couple she never sees, her ex-husband scamming on chicks, the guy she probably should have ended up with and the beautiful mother of his child. “We’ll always be friends. It’s just never going to be like how it was,” she adds.

2018 | Marshall becomes a judge! Barney argues that “if it wasn’t going to happen with Robin, then it’s just not going to happen with anybody,” so Judge Fudge rules that he is allowed to be his womanizing self.

2019 | At a robots-vs.-wrestlers match, Marshall asks Ted and The Mother if they’re ever going to get married or just continue living in sin — potentially opening the door for more Ted-and-Robin drama. Later, Barney shows up and reveals that his quest for the perfect month led to an unexpected surprise: No. 31 – “That’s a pretty name. Is that French?” The Mother asks – is pregnant! (How this didn’t happen sooner, I’ll never know.)

2020 | Barney welcomes a baby girl named Ellie, and while he’s hesitant at first, he quickly falls for her charms. “You are the love of my life. Everything I have and everything I am is yours. Forever,” he tells his newborn daughter. (Neil Patrick Harris in this scene = so good.) Meanwhile, Ted decides to finally make the mother of his children an honest woman. “Will you marry me” – she interrupts again with a chorus of “yeses” – “on Thursday?” he finishes. Guess who shows up for the big moment? At The Mother’s urging, it’s Robin — and the couple does actually get hitched. Phew! It only took seven years. But as Lily starts toasting Ted’s “emotional endurance” and Future Ted says, “If I hadn’t gone through hell to get there, the lesson might not have been as clear,” you know where this is going.

The lesson: to love as fiercely as he could and to love through all the highs and lows, which is what he does when The Mother got sick. And to be brave, or he wouldn’t have had the courage to stand up and talk to her at the train station, where they have a meet-cute about who the umbrella really belongs to. As it turns out, the initials on it could belong to either one of them because theirs are both T.M.

But wait, the kids cut in, this story isn’t about how Ted met their mother. She’s barely in it, they argue. This whole thing is really about how Ted’s in love with Aunt Robin, and he wants their OK to ask her out. Mom’s been gone six years, so Penny and Luke are totally cool with their father moving on. The final image: Ted shows up outside Robin’s apartment with the blue french horn. (Not sure how they’re going to make her job and a relationship work when she and Barney couldn’t do it sans kids, but there you have it.)

Whether you loved it or hated it or something in between, the fact that Lyndsy Fonseca and David Henri filmed that sequence years ago – and signed one heck of a non-disclosure agreement – does prove that Ted and Robin have been in the cards since the beginning. But does that sort of make the titular Mother an afterthought? Or do you feel like their love story was deep and real, too?

Grade the series ender via the poll below, then hit the comments to back up your pick!

HIMYM Director Pamela Fryman Reminisces about Robin Sparkles, Stinging Slaps and More

1. Babybop says:

I’ve never been so angry.

2. Kathryn Rahman says:

So disappointed that the writers/producers spent all this time building up Ted & the mother, and Barney & Robin, just to tear them apart? No. Ted & Robin stopped being the end game for me several seasons ago. Lame.

• mg714 says:

They made a mistake from the first episode when they basically were saying it wasn’t Ted/Robin, so as an audience we thought we shouldn’t be invested in them, and I never was.

• Mrs. Featherbottom says:

Agreed! I thought the door was shut on that option so I was never invested in that relationship. But, in previous interviews, Carter and Bayes loves the pairing and keep talking about the electric chemistry between Robin and Ted. I never saw it; I only saw their relationship as a step towards Ted meeting Tracey. I can’t even watch Barney’s proposal scene without being upset because it’s so pointless now!!!

• mg714 says:

And why make such a push to show why Barney and Robin were perfect together and that Ted was letting go of Robin and not in love with her anymore, just to go back to Robin/Ted. I didn’t want them back together in the end but if Carter and Bays were going there they messed up so much in how they got us there. Why make us invest so much emotionally in Barney/Robin and Ted/the Mother (Tracey) so much this past season to just undo it so quickly in the last episode?

3. john says:

Agree with the pineapple. They never gave us closure on it. Surprised because I think that was the only loose end they didn’t tie up. They even told us blah-blahs name.

• C says:

Makes sense though; they said in that ep that they never found out about it. Not everything in life gets tied up.

4. McKenzie says:

I don’t even watch this show, and I’m mad/sad about the finale. The mother was adorable, the name of the show was “How I met your MOTHER” and yet the ultimate ending was Ted and Robin. The mother was far too good to just kill off.

• Angela says:

Yeah, I’ve only seen bits of the show here and there, but looking at the ending as it’s laid out here, I can see why people are upset. It’s weirdly fascinating. I do feel for the fans who think they got slapped in the face with this, though.

5. DarkDefender says:

I gave it a B. I have loved this show through all 9 seasons, never missed an episode.. And I loved the finale up until the last couple minutes. It would have been awesome, if the mother wasn’t dead and this wasn’t all about Ted getting the courage to as future Robin on a date. Very much a let down.

6. aaa says:

This was bad.

7. A Fan says:

At first, I was really bummed about the finale. At face value, it’s really sad about what happened to the mother. I came to really enjoy them together as a couple as the writing gave us glimpses into their future. That said, I get why Ted was telling the story to the kids. How would a father have a conversation about moving on with his life after his wife dies, to his kids? By reassuring them that he recognizes how lucky he was to find her, how much he cherished her while he had her, and that even though she’s gone she’s still an important part of his life and journey. It’s not a stretch to imagine a father worrying that his kids might not be able to accept his moving on. And after hearing a story like that, there is no way the kids could doubt that Ted loved Tracy. It seems like he might have worried over nothing; the kids seemed completely OK with him getting together with Robin (which explains why the cutaway shots to the kids in the past portrayed them looking so bored – they saw through this plan from the start). The finale, and the point of the show, makes sense to me. It was a brave choice to make, very poignant, and was an emotionally layered way to end the show.

8. Ashley says:

Total crock. The series should be renamed to “How I Met Your Future Stepmother.”

9. Gary says:

I didn’t mind the finale, but it felt WAY to rushed (especially the last 10 minutes). I think the big mistake was the structure of this final season. They should have used the the structure of this episode not the wedding weekend. If they would have covered one year per episode, it would’ve still allowed us to get to know the mother (maybe more so) and gone a little deeper into some of the stuff that happened (e.g. divorce, group drifting apart, mother’s death, etc.) As it was, it just felt they were in an all out sprint just to touch on these things.

• Nick says:

totally agree, not sure about how they should have spaced it instead, but the ending was way too condensed. There was at least a season in all that, yet the rest of the season could have occurred in like 6-8 episodes without missing much

10. Zed says:

So let me get this straight…we have time for way too many “Judge Fudge” references, a Jim Nantz cameo, and an ET goodbye, but we don’t get to see Ted and Tracy say their goodbyes? Makes total sense. Way to turn the audience against Robin. How are we supposed to believe Ted and Robin can make the career/relationship thing work when Barney and Robin couldn’t? I don’t care if the kids are ok with it in the end, this is just wrong. If this was endgame all along, the execution of it was deplorable.

11. Brooke says:

Clearly I am the minority here, but I absolutely adored the finale. I have watched this show from the pilot, and I didn’t feel cheated nor did I feel that is was bad writing or rushed. The finale had everything I love about this show and more and although completely heartbroken (I loved the mother), I feel satisfied. This show was always about Ted and Robin. They have reiterated it almost every episode in the last two seasons and if you honestly thought that was for nothing, then your anger should be pointed at yourself rather than at the writers.

Love, so much love.

12. Mendez says:

It’s not so much that I hate the ending. I hate these last two seasons that made me so invested in Barney and Robin. I think his attempt at a real love should have ended with Quinn until the baby. I get this was the vision all along for the ending but it seems just sad and uncomfortable because of all the emphasis on the mom and Barney/Robin.

13. Nick says:

Terrible ending. What does it say for love that so many relationships can come and go so disposably? The best character of season 9 was the mother, all the best episodes were ones with her in it, and while it was predictable that it would ultimately involve Robin, I honestly hoped it could be Ted and Tracy on the porch with Lily and Marshsall. Pretty BS that it just ended where it started.

14. Addie says:

Lol the time line is all wrong. It always says 2030 when he is talking to the kids but when he finishes the story it was 2020 and when the kids say she died 6 years ago that would be 2014 which they didn’t get engage till 2014-2015. It makes since he would finish in 2030 and she died in 2024 but they messed up. And that would be him knowing her for 10 years 2013-2014. Stupid people!

15. Justin says:

It’s kind of funny, about a month ago when they pretty much made it obvious that the mother was dying. There were so many people doing everything they could to twist the very clear words showing that she was dying into anything BUT the fact that she was dying.

and then…..just like they had set up for the ENTIRE season, she ends up dying. and you guys are reacting like they didn’t LITERALLY lay it out for you all season that she wasn’t going to make it.

i’ll admit that the divorce and blue horn thing, I didn’t see that coming. I’m not sure if that was a good thing to do or not.

But I expected the mother to die, but hey, you guys who didn’t want it all to be for nothing and for Ted to be alone. You got your wish, and the story DID retain its meaning. it tells how he met their mother, and then, how he moved on.

is that really so terrible?

16. Cameron says:

Amazing ending. If you think otherwise you are treating the episode as a normal timeline of consumption. Barney and Robin had problems from the beginning, more so than Ted and Robin had. They WERE a dysfunctional couple and it was due to these flaws in themselves that they thought they could work together. They were so a like that they could not cope together because neither of them had a crutch to stand on when they both hit lows. How many times did Robin or Barney have doubts about the life they were choosing? So much foreshadowing.

They did not divorce within “20 minutes” they divorced within 3 years. Take it as the timeline. I was not a fan of the whole wedding, I did not like Robin and Barney as a couple. The focus was too much on this relationship I agree, but then again – why was the focus on this relationship? What was Ted trying to do? Express he had moved on to his Children and that he loved their mother, so they would understand when asking Robin out – it wasn’t because he never loved their mother.

Barney being a single father was a far better choice than having him locked down in a relationship. Look at how he acted around James’s son, he loved him – he was always meant to be a father, not a Husband. Again, foreshadowing. His relationship problems and quest to find his own father, his obsession with girls with Daddy issues, his whole personality and persona was built around his own Daddy issues, and as father now he can give all that he lacked as a child.

Finding the mother died just at that moment when Ted and Tracy met? Heartbreaking. Many people are saying it was sad to see her written off straight away after meeting, exactly, it was sad. Happiness isn’t the only emotion you can feel and sometimes it’s not the best to feel. You will look back one day and say “That show really hit me somewhere”.

Another complaint about how the show was that it could have ended after Pilot – because the situation was the same. Did these people miss the point of the entire story? He has progressed as a character from then, and has always somewhere loved Robin. He re-re-returned for her.

You were blessed with 9 seasons of programming, some better than others and were rewarded with sorrow and love.

17. Jessica says:

WORST SERIES FINALE EVER!

18. Mike says:

I am actually okay with the ending as it is very similar to something that actually happened in my family. So maybe I have a different perspective on it. But to get so torn up to the point of crying or screaming or refusing to watch re-runs of episodes you actually liked is a little silly. Sure we all want a happy ending but life doesn’t really play out the way we expect or want it all of the time All in all I think this finale captures something of a truth in that. Sometimes the “real life” moments of the show aee what made it work for so long

19. Zed says:

Also, I thought the wounded hand was due to him punching Darren or what’s his name (Bass player wanted).

20. DrGonefission says:

The fact that this was the plan from the word “Go” — that they PLANNED to stab us in the back like this — reveals that these guys are lower than pond scum. “Casual fans” will yell foul? I’ve seen every episode, many more than once, and have talked up the best lines with friends who likely think I’m mad for paying so much attention. But no more — not this show, ever again, and nothing either of those guys have anything to do with, ever again.

21. Kari says:

I am just so disappointed in this finale. This series has always been so well written and interwoven so delicately…. and then the finale was basically a whole afterthought. WTF happened with the writers??? They obviously planned it out far in advance with the kid actors, so why was the writing so rushed in the end and so untrue to the characters?? Totally agree with the other posts about Ted would NOT delay a wedding and Barney still being his original self (what happened with him taking down the corporation and supposedly being a hippie in the end?). They seemed to stay true to Lily and Marshall thank goodness or it would have all been a wash. I just really want to know what happened internally with this episode regardless of who Ted actually ended up with. The writers know how to write and could have made it a lot more believable than the kids shrugging and eye rolling about their dead mother and like everyone else was saying – where was Bob Saget in the end? Even the acting in this episode was sub par and didnt seem to mesh with the characters they had been playing for so long. JUST WTF???

22. Tamara says:

I seriously do not think I could be more disappointed than I am right now. There were parts of this episode that were amazing I loved that Barney had a daughter. The way he looked at her and nearly fell to pieces was just beautiful. However, killing the mother?!?!?! Are you serious? It broke my heart. This girl was perfect for Ted in every possible way and you just kill her off. On top of if it, this was a death that should have been dragged out should have been depicted differently to show meaning and Ted grieving but instead it seemed like the whole reason Ted even met the Mother was so he could have kids and then turn around and go back to Robin . It basically cheapens the woman into nothing but a baby making device and a consolation prize. She was better than that. On top of that I liked Barney and Robin together I always have, so to have them get a divorce was truly devastating.
    Don’t get me wrong, I love the show, its amazing, funny and relatable but the writers screwed up on this one.

23. betsy says:

I am disappointed. And sad. And a little squicked out. Some of my favorite tweets tonight:

‏@AvishSood ·
    “Kids, have I ever told you the story of how I still love Aunt Robin” #HIMYMFinale

@DylanSayther
    I feel like the whole #HIMYMFinale is just an April Fools prank and the real one is gonna be on tomorrow

‏@TedMcClelland
    How I Settled For Your Mother When I Really Wanted To Nail My Best Friend’s Wife #HIMYMFinale

‏@chrisharnick
    “This is like if Joss killed off #Buffy and Giles at the end of BTVS BUT WORSE.” – @caitlin_sweeny on her #HIMYMFinale rage

24. Colette says:

Big time fail. This ending could have worked if the show ended with Season 5, but once they introduced the huge wedding arc and framing device in Season 6, they should have reworked the ending appropriately. It was clearly written ages ago, and instead of realizing that the show went on way longer and accommodating for character growth, they tossed pretty much the last 4 seasons out the window.

• Mendez says:

Agreed. If this was their end game … It just no longer fit with all the extra stuff forced on us since. I loved the mother and finally accepted Barney and Robin… I have watched since episode one and think the show just went on too long for this ending to work …

Also the kids were way too callous “moms been dead six years, so what?!” Uh…. Awkward…

25. Pete Sunnywood says:

Ted and ‘The Mother’ finishing each other sentences under the umbrella was the best scene. That’s where it ended for me.

26. O'Brien says:

Teddy Westside told us last week, “Love is the best thing we do.” That’s the ultimate point. If you love someone, if you feel it in your bones, if you feel it coursing through you, to the point where you’d steal a blue french horn, or run The Robin, or throw the worst/best bachelor party ever, or give up a judgeship to go to Rome, or give up art to let your partner go after their dream, or you’d go talk to that girl under your/their yellow umbrella, then dammit, who cares how long it lasts, who cares if it’s a year, or three, or thirteen, or 30+? Who cares if it’s some girl, or some guy, or the people you go watch Robots v. Wrestlers with every year? Because you felt it, and they did, too, one way or another. You didn’t make it up, and neither did they, and it was a shining, beautiful (if not perfect) thing, and you took the chance to actually feel it in the first place. I’m just never going to think that’s the wrong move. I always thought I was more like Robin, but Ted, you got me in the end. I hope I’m like you most of all. That’s pretty much the most legendary way you can be.

27. Cami says:

AWFUL. JUST AWFUL.

28. Lisa dg says:

Last two episodes ruin entire series for me. Honestly. I think I’ll wait a long time before I ever watch the show again. I wanted a happy ending for Ted and the Titular Mother. Way to kill the happy ending of a comedy. You spend most of 9 season keeping Robin Ted apart only to put them together at the end. Ruined. It’s my opinion.

29. “But does that sort of make the titular Mother an afterthought? Or do you feel like their love story was deep and real, too?” subtextually, Ted waited that long to marry the Mother because she wasn’t the one he wanted to be with, even if such words were never spoken. That makes the show a rip off. I think they wrote this ending thinking of what season 1 and season 2 fans might want to see when the show ended as opposed to do an ending that served the story and characters.

30. Matthew Weber says:

I’m split. I liked the ending with Robin, but I hate that the Mother died. What was the point of having her be the mother? That character shouldn’t have been created. It should have just been Robin all along (with adopted kids).

It was just an okay finale. Lots of great scenes, but I kinda feel uncomfortable with it. Wow.

31. Cyn Cromarty says:

To me its not the fact that she died, that was expected for many weeks, its the fact that they brought a beautiful wedding of Barney and Robin , have them divorce 3 years later, JUST so that Robin and Ted can get together..just didn’t sit well.

32. amanda says:

wow the finale really divided the fans… ahaha i LOVED IT!

33. S says:

Though it’s not the ending I would have loved to have seen, it did bring the story full circle. In older Ted’s mind, he started the story with how he met Robin because that is where the road to meeting the mother started(no Robin, no Robin and Barney. No Robin and Barney, no wedding. No wedding, no meeting the mother). However, his kids were also right; it was a long, drawn out story confessing his love for their Aunt Robin. There is a difference between your ‘true love’ and your ‘soul mate’. Ted and Robin were in love, but weren’t truly happy together because they wanted different things in life; Ted wanted to settle down and have kids, while Robin wanted to focus on her job and didn’t want kids. When Ted met Tracy(the mother), he met his soul mate, the one person who he could truly be himself with and have his family with. And with his heart finally able to have the wife and kids he always wanted, Robin was pushed to the VERY back of his mind. Once the mother died however, Robin came back into his life more often and therefore back into his mind. We see that Robin has an apartment in New York and once again has a mass of dogs, so we can assume that she’s stopped traveling like she used to. Therefore, it is the perfect time for her and Ted to get together: Ted had his dream of the perfect wife and great kids, and Robin had her dream of traveling the world and becoming a famous reporter. Now that they’ve done the things that were keeping them apart, there’s nothing holding them back from being together. The mother was Ted’s soul mate, but Robin is his true love.

34. Para says:

I liked it. I really think it is the right ending and it made sense.

35. liz says:

who else think that the How i met your father thing will be about Barney’s baby mother?

36. Nati says:

I think Ted and Tracy’s love was real and deep as well. I don’t want to think Robin and Ted’s reunion negates Ted’s relationship with Tracy in any way. Marshall (or Lily) comments that Ted does it too big, too soon, too fast, but this ironically does not happen with Tracy. They have babies and date for years before they marry. They’re living, enjoying, existing with each other. I think that’s extremely significant in looking at their relationship.There’s definitely love there, different than anything Ted had experienced before. Ted adored Tracy. It appears, then, that he was, in a way, maybe meant to be with both of them. I don’t think the ending showed that Robin and Ted were necessarily supposed to be together the whole time, but rather that life is messy and they happened to find their way back together.

37. rob says:

Anybody not see the death/Ted-Robin ending coming a mile away? Achingly awful.

38. Beth says:

It just seems odd that Ted’s kids, especially the girl, were so glib about the story and were so enthusiastic for Ted to go date Aunt Robin. Even though they’re mom had been gone six years, I think it’s really strange that they’d just be totally ok with him telling this story really about his other love (Robin) and tarnishing the love their father had for their mom and her memory. It rang really false for me.

39. Renee89 says:

There were so many things wrong with this ending. First of all, spending YEARS convincing us that Barney and Robin were meant to be together, and then spending an entire season devoted to their wedding only to divorce them within minutes is such a waste. Even though I don’t like the idea of them divorcing anyway, it definitely should not have been handled that way. Why bother showing Barney grow up just to completely and flippantly undo it in a few minutes? People keep saying that its “true to life,” but I disagree. Yes people get divorced and people die, but people also change and grow up. Barney’s character was completely ruined in the end and it felt disingenuous, rushed, and like a cop-out. Additionally, the way they handled Tracy’s death was absolutely horrid. If she was supposedly the love of Ted’s life and so perfect for him, how could he be so utterly casual about her death? The way they handled it made it feel like Ted had settled for Tracy, only to end up with Robin. Robin was never right for him. If she couldn’t be with Barney because of her lifestyle, how could she possibly be with Ted- someone infinitely more clingy than Barney? I still would have been unhappy with this ending but they could have handled it SO much better. I am also really unhappy with the kids’ reactions the whole time. The finale just felt rushed and Tracy felt like a complete after-thought. It was poorly constructed and didn’t give any real closure.

40. Cadbury says:

Let’s do math.

Ted’s telling the kids the story in 2030.
    In 2030, Tracy has been dead for 6 years.
    Tracy died in 2024.
    Penny was born in 2015, Luke in 2017.
    In 2024, Penny was 9 and Luke was 7.
    In 2030, Penny is 15 and Luke is 13.

We are supposed to believe that these two kids are adult enough to say “Hey, Dad, Mom’s been gone for 6 years, it’s totally cool for you to bang Aunt Robin while we still live here. No big deal. It’s not like Mom was important to us, or anything. And, as tweens still too young to drive, we both have the emotional maturity to handle you bringing the woman who broke your heart (causing you to settle for a bunch of skanks and Dead Mommy) home with you, and to have sex with her in Mom’s bed. It’s cool.”

• brandon says:

ya, I was having a hard time with the timeline too, especially since the kids look like they’re in their twenties… horrible casting on that one there or the creators simply forgot how old the kids looked since they did shoot it in 2005

41. Erin says:

1. Children would have not reacted the way. I could see them being okay with it but not so adamantly ok.

2. Robin is still one of your best friend’s ex wife. That’s just wrong no matter how ok they say they are.

42. Mandy says:

When I read people’s guesses that this would happen, I hated it. But seeing it played out, it totally made sense. This show is all about real life. All the sad mixed in is what makes this show so real. So their groups or of falling apart, then back together makes sense. Ted loving the mother so much and then losing her makes sense.
    It doesn’t make it hurt any less, but it was beautiful.

43. Liz985 says:

So totally dismissive of the “mother.” She was just a space filler for Robin. This wonderful, quirky, willing to fall in love woman seems to have never truly replaced Robin in Ted’s heart. That sucks.

44. TJ says:

Wait, Bobby Ewing is alive and this entire last season was just a dream?? Yeah, HIMYM finale feels like that. But worse. Much worse.

45. brandon says:

that ending would have been great after season 5 or 6… wouldn’t have had all the on again off again ted robin B/S and no stupid season 9 wedding. I get the ending but I don’t like it but if this show had called it quits after season 6 with this ending… would have been really really happy with it

46. JW says:

Reading through posts elsewhere on the net….conclusion? This was a brilliant ending. This ending was absolutely true to the very first episode. Watch them back to back and you’ll get it.

47. Nikki says:

The kids basically summed up what I was thinking. The story was never ‘How I Met Your Mother’ it was always ‘How I Was In Love With Your Aunt Robin For Nine Years.’ Although it wasn’t the ending I would have wanted myself, I particularly didn’t like Tracy being dead, it didn’t really feel like a big surprise and so I’m not too disappointed. There were some really nice moments, I especially liked Barney meeting Ellie for the first time, and Ted and Tracy fighting over ownership of the umbrella. I’m going to miss the show.

48. Sara says:

I absolutely hated the finale. That is by far the worst series finale that I have ever seen. So much of what happened was just awful – and not just the very ending – and it just ruins the entire series for me.

49. Diana says:

You guys keep saying because Ted loved Robin.
    But it was always pretty obvious that she didn’t love him back or at least not the same way, and they made her love for Barney seem so much more real…i mean Robin actually married him…for what?
    What was the point of Barney and Robin? What was the point of Ted letting her go? What was the point of him finding the one to only end up with a woman who has never truly valued him. Why because Ted loves her? But shouldn’t a love be both sided. Robin’s whole thing for Ted was, i prolly will never find a nicer guy…how is that cool?
    *shivers* just ugh! I’m disgusted!

50. Erin says:

That finale was more depressing than the darkest episode of mad men. It was more unsatisfying than the way they wrote Ziva out of NCIS. And it made me regret ever getting hooked on this stupid show.

One of the reasons I loveD it was because of the emphasis on continuity, but that went out the window tonight, at least in the character development department