The Good Wife Recap: Uncomfortably Numb

The Last CallCatharsis. Closure. Comfort. These are just three of the things we chase in the face of unspeakable tragedy — even if, deep down, we know the best we can achieve is a temporary state of numbness.

In that same spirit, tonight’s installment of The Good Wife chose to focus on the desperate minutae of its characters reacting to the sudden, senseless death of [MAJOR SPOILER ALERT] Will Gardner at the hand of his mentally unstable client, rather than to give us a false embrace that promises — as the old reggae ditty goes — everything’s gonna be all right.

RELATED | The Good Wife Exclusive: Josh Charles On That Shocking Twist — and the Reason It Had to Happen

Yep, the mourning of Alicia Florrick — good wife, enviable mother, powerhouse attorney and lover with a Gardner-shaped hole in her heart — is not going to be a wham!-bam!-experience that’s dealt with in an episode or two. Its reverberations and recriminations, we came to realize during “The Last Call,” will be felt all the way to the end of Season 5, if not further. To paraphrase the great philosopher Janet Jackson, that’s the way barely requited, tragically murdered love goes.

RELATED | The Good Wife Exclusive: Executive Producers Robert and Michelle King Talk Last Week’s Devastating Death (‘There Was No Joy In This’)

On that somber note, let’s try to pithily break down this week’s proceedings for each major character affected by the horror of Will (Josh Charles) being gunned down by his unhinged client, Jeffrey Grant (Hunter Parrish) in the middle of the courtroom and later, being pronounced dead at the hospital:

ALICIA | To my brain, the most profound message of Alicia’s journey this week is that the universe — no matter how much we demand/wish of it — rarely gives us the Big Answers we seek. Whether you’re like Grace, and believe that God’s plan is always in motion, or like her mom Alicia, who has faced the senseless and determined that a higher power can’t be in play, there remains a murky inevitability: Sometimes, life shrugs its shoulders, and there’s no one to make sense of awful events. From the opening seconds of this week’s episode, with Alicia’s speech to the Chicago Correspondant’s Club being interrupted by a reluctant Kalinda’s phone call about Will’s passing, executive producers Robert and Michelle King reminded us that even the most inconsequential moments can be rocked by tragedy.

Alicia’s movements after learning the man she’d truly loved — the man she’d clashed with after leaving his law firm — was gone, were fascinatingly void of intense emotions, and instead, existed in an odd state of autpilot. Sure, Alicia showed up at her old offices at Lockhart-Gardner and shared a long, tearful embrace with Diane (a devastating Christine Baranski), but after that, Alicia got bogged down in making sense of an enigmatic, trivial voice-mail Will had left for her on the morning of his death. That journey brought Alicia to a clumsy phone call with estranged pal Kalinda, to the scene of Will’s death, to a meeting with the judge who’d presided over Will’s last case, to a series of inevitable daydreams/flashbacks, to a final trip to the hospital to see Will’s opposing counsel, Finn Polmar (Matthew Goode) who’d been wounded trying to save Will’s life. But Finn, woozy from a heavy dose of painkillers, had very little of significance to share — even though several times he came dangerously close to remembering some detail, some fragment of conversation that might’ve let Alicia know once and for all that Will died not angry, but with affection for her in his heart.

We also had an intense — and unflinching — conversation between athiest Alicia and her religious daughter Grace, a conversation that didnt have a “winner” or a “loser,” a conversation that respected its characters points of view without ever disguising their limitations or biases or frailties. “What does it mean if there is no God? Why is it any better?” asked Grace, after her mother said she saw no meaning in what happened to Will. “It’s not better — it’s just truer. It’s not just wishful thinking,” argued her mother. But Grace wouldn’t let it drop like that. “Well, maybe always believing the bad. Maybe that’s wishful thinking, too,” she contended.

Meanwhile, her repeated efforts to keep Peter at arm’s length while she made sense of her grief, ended in a fascinating final scene where Alicia arrived home to find her Governor husband waiting for her. It’s hard not to think Peter had a dual purpose: Comforting his wife upon the death of her colleague while also gauging how deeply she’d been cut by the loss of the man with whom she’d dabbled romantically. Alicia’s frozen response to Peter’s embrace, her desire to be alone — not to be held — in this brutal hour, may be the most clear-cut tipoff to her heart’s desires as we’ll ever see. Yes, she’s a good wife — steadfast in loving her kids, knowledgable about how her marriage affects her and her husband’s political ambitions — and yet still, her heart is shattered, despite all her efforts to keep it whole.

DIANE | Oh, Diane, just because you weren’t romantically linked with Will doesn’t mean you didn’t adore him any less. In fact, isn’t it interesting that Diane was the one who said out loud that she loved Will — and who shared that Will loved Alicia — while his soulmate was unable to express the emotions brewing inside? Diane, of course, got a better platform to vent (not just in firing the firm’s overly weepy intern), but when Will’s biggest client insisted on a face-to-face meeting following Will’s death, with no regard to the mourning process of his attorney’s colleagues. I’ll admit I didn’t see it coming when Diane brutally fired the client — and told him she’d gotten him blacklisted with all of Chicago’s other major firms — but damn, it was the most satisfying moment of the episode. Thankfully, in true Good Wife fashion, the show’s writers didn’t flinch at finding humor in the moment, thanks to this exchange:

Diane: “That felt good.”
David Lee: “It turned me on.”

Oh, David Lee, you make me throw in this sidebar: How incredible was Zach Grenier, making a bloodthirsty bid to call Will’s clients, because it was all he could do to hold it together, then flinching from Diane’s touch? Yowza, the bench is deep on this show.

KALINDA | I’ll admit, Kalinda’s story was the hardest for me to understand this week, but isn’t her character the hardest to know, anyhow? She spent the hour tracking the case of Will’s death, trying to figure out if her boss/buddy had been killed by police crossfire or by a shot from his client Jeffery Grant (Hunter Parrish). After seeing Will’s corpse one last time, and learning that, yep, frail Jeffery had done the unforgivable deed, she got cop pal Jenna to get her a minute alone with the guilty party. “You wanna die?” she asked, holding out Jeffery’s belt as a tool for suicide. But then, as the wild-eyed college student reached for the tool of self-destruction, Kalinda pulled it away…condeming the guilty party to the hell of his own existence, rather than a quick escape. Yikes, yikes and yowza. But then again, is this a real shock given how Kalinda “ended” (or rather, possibly “ended”) her relationship with her ex-hubby? She’s not one to tread lightly, and her grudges run deep.

CARY | Can I get a “Hell, yeah!” for Cary’s vicious behavior this week? Heading into a deposition with sexual-harassment plaintiff Candace (remember her from “Hitting the Fan”?), our Florrick-Agos shark found his opposing counsel unwilling to delay the proceedings — despite the death he and Alicia were reeling from. Cary’s final, seething response — “I wanna get out my aggressions and my anger out by destroying your client: Now sit down!” — may be one of the most delicious moments in Good Wife history. Can we please see more minutes per episode of this character for the remainder of Season 5?

With that, I turn things over to you. What did you think of this week’s Good Wife? Sound off in the comments!

1. Gabriel Anthony says:

I dont know how to react… Most touching episode of the series so far. And please, just give an Emmy to all the cast, everyone was awesome tonight!

• Kim R says:

I could not agree more. From Alicia’s numbness to Kalinda in huntress mode, it was so well written and portrayed. Diane’s devastation, David’s private reaction in the conference room, Cary’s rage, even the glimpse of Peter’s self-centered reaction (using Eli’s phone), just made this a stellar episode that did not rely on the usual trite reactions to death that some shows lean on. Well done, The Good Wife team, well done! :)

• Tyler says:

After watching last night’s episode of The Good Wife, it became clear to me that Alicia is like the Mary Tyler Moore character in Ordinary People. Both women are intelligent. Both women are upper-middle class. Both women are incapable of expressing their feelings. I would like to know why Alicia is so cold and empty inside. She’s the complete opposite of her fun-loving, gay brother so it can’t be the upbringing. I think she’s just that way. Maybe she’ll get the message when she finally realizes how cold and heartless she was over the way she handled her departure from Lockhart/Gardner. It’ll be interesting to see where she goes from here.

• abz says:

Do you remember there was a scene with Alicia and her mom in a bar where she told her mom “You didn’t really like me” when she was younger?
          I think if you examine everything as a whole, you might understand why she is the way she is. The scandal that brought on a lack of privacy and a life in the spotlight, etc.
          I think it will be interesting as well to see her journey from here and what it means for her marriage as well.

• Marci says:

Thank you, Tyler. I’ve never liked Alicia (I started watching the show because of Josh Charles and Christine Baranski) and couldn’t pinpoint why, but you explained it perfectly. And the comparison with Mary Tyler Moore’s character in Ordinary People was spot-on. I wonder if the aftermath to Will’s death will make Alicia more emotionally accessible and likeable.

• adri says:

it’s not her fault. she has a lot of traumas. From what we’ve seen, it’s clear her parents’ divorce hit her badly. she feels the need to behave as she ought to, not charging anyone with her sorrow and putting the “needs” of others before her own happiness. it’s common for people with such high moral standards to be overprotective of their privacy- only you know what a mess you really are. That’s why she never gives us a hind of what’s on her mind. Just the face. Julianna is a wonderful actress, with a deep understanding of Alicia’s character.

• MJW says:

l also do not like the way she is treating her husband, he obviously still loves her deeply, but she does not know her head from her elbow, l think the reason she played around with Will was because he was different to Peter and she wanted to see which side her bread was buttered,she should take a good look at her life past and present and make up her mind once and for all, lf she does not love Peter why does she go to him when she wants sex, she is as bad as he was when he turned to another for some lovin, if this is the case then she should get a divorce for irreconsizable differences, then she can get on with her life as she wants but should be aware of hurting her children by being so selfish for her own sake. She choose to have children and now that they are growing up she should show them a good example of how to be good in life,not act like a lovesick teenager over Will. But l think l am a bit prejudice as l like Chris Noth,have done since his L&O days.

• Imua1 says:

Little too somber and off beat emotional…big fan but this was not one of the best shows.

• MJW says:

l never really took to Will, there was always something very devious in his character, he wanted Alicia yet he carried on with these other girls and always had the knack to making Alicia feel the guilty one. She should stay with Peter – l like Chris Noth – and make a real go of her marriage, when they get a moment actually on their own they should talk about everything and l mean everything, l am sure that deep down they love each other very much and he was there for her through all the trials and tribulations of her life, Peters mother should stop interfering in their lives, l know she is probably lonely and wants Peter to herself, but what she must be made to realise is that he has other people to consider, his family with growing kids, his wife and her feelings and his job, which is oh so very important, Eli should back off sometimes and let the family bond together properly, they had been before so why not again,Alicia could have her career and be the Govenor’s wife without either of the jobs interfering with each other, they should not let them interfere, a compromise could be arrived at and stuck to and that means nobody can change things, especially Eli, all he wants is for Peter to go higher in his ambitions so that he Eli will look even bigger in his job. Diane should get David Lee into a room and read him the riot act, he is such a cruel heartless character- and he a family lawyer- and tell him to stop being so bolshi, dislike him very much. l could go on and say more things at what should/should not happen but it would take all day, so ttfn,

• Agnes says:

Lighten up – it’s a TV night time Soap Opera. Don’t take it so SERIUSLY. If all of these things happened, there’d be no show to watch.

2. Becki says:

Leaving out one of the best moments of all- Cary’s grief filled rage to take out his anger and aggression on this client during the deposition. So tragic, yet so hot at the same time!

• Michael Slezak says:

Fret not, Becki…I’m about to add a little paragraph about that…and I shan’t argue with your choice of adjective. #HotIndeed

• Dee says:

Thank you Michael.

• darcy the slutty twin says:

Just a suggestion: To avoid leaving out these things, perhaps it would be best to do an actual recap?

• Michael Slezak says:

Darcy, I recognize your moniker, so I think you know I’m not inclined to ever write a “this happened, then this happened, then this happened” linear recap. I’ve always felt my job is to provide a jumping-off place for readers to discuss their own feelings about what they’ve just seen — an online water cooler of sorts. Sorry if this one fell short of your expectations, but to be honest, I’m still grappling with my own response to such a complicated hour of television.

• abz says:

And that is why your articles tend to be one of my favorites to read. :) For me, there isn’t much point to read a play-by-play of what I had just watched. I’ve always thought that TVLine should do more of recap/review format kind of like the way you write your articles because they are way more entertaining. More than half the time with recaps for several other shows on this site from different writers, I find myself just skimming through or skipping altogether and going straight to the comments section.

• jalahyacinth says:

Please never change your recaps. I love that they invite discussion. If I wanted a blow by blow I’d watch the episode or read one of the hundreds of 10+ page recaps that exist elsewhere. I love TVLine’s style and hope they stay that way. Seriously. I don’t even watch Mistresses, Scandal, The Good Wife, OUAT, Revenge,American Idol, or Glee, but I never miss a recap of these shows on here. :)

• Angela says:

Same here (though I do watch “Idol” and “Glee” :p). I love a well-written recap of a TV show, one that goes in depth about the good, the bad, and the ugly of an episode, and the discussion they provide in the comment sections. And I enjoy that whether I watch the show in question or not.
            Frankly, as painful and heartbreaking as the storyline on this show appears to be right now, it also sounds quite fascinating. I’ve heard so many good things about this series and am kind of kicking myself for NOT having gotten around to watching it yet. These recaps are doing a great job of encouraging me to change that, pronto.

• Jenks says:

@Angela: ITA. I have sort of regretted not getting into “The Good Wife,” but after reading so much about last week’s episode, I watched it on demand and then watched last night’s episode. I am now hooked. Oh, and count me among the Slezak fans. His recaps are exactly what I enjoy reading. I used to read those blow-by-blow recaps when that was about all you could find, but how boring!

• Bob Smith says:

People, just watch the damn shows instead of wanting to read “line by line” recaps on TV|Line.

• Linda says:

I love your recaps, Michael! I don’t ever want a total summary of what happened – I already watched the show. I love your recaps because it’s like having a hilarious friend to dish about the show with. Please don’t change anything!

• darcy the slutty twin says:

I understand. And I don’t mind your recaps. My post above was not throwing shade. I was making a genuine suggestion in response to the original poster and your subsequent response. I was serving some honest to goodness realness. I hope I didn’t offend you!

• Cecile Avallone Hall says:

Michael, you are the best re-capper in the business. Your witty, insightful, acerbic, articulate reviews are a joy to read. And that is high praise from a former professional script analyst/critic- turned high school English teacher If you were my student, you would receive an A+ on every assignment. –Cecile

• Asta says:

I thought it was truly wonderful how each and every character’s life was changed, including Cary. I think the fact that he was so tough was unlike anything we’ve seen before. To address Darcy, I don’t want a mere recap, I watched the show, I want to hear and discuss the nuances and what they mean. Thank you for that.

3. Dick Whitman says:

Just… wow.

4. JLH says:

Since we know the client stealer Will was mad at was Damien, and he was firing him, does that mean Jason O’Mara is completely gone? Is there confirmation on that? That would be lovely.

5. Chablis says:

I love you Slezak and appreciate the speed to put this recap out, but you might want to go back and proofread this recap.

• Sanchez says:

Errors occur. Not a big deal. I appreciate being given a place to voice my opinions on a given episode in addition to reading others’ opinions. So keep on, keeping on Slezak.

• abz says:

I’m just grateful for the fact that we are finally getting weekly TGW recap posts. For too long, TVLine has neglected TGW and like @Sanchez I’m happy to given a place to talk about the show because sadly despite my best efforts to get more people watching, not many I know have watch it.

• luli101 says:

Yes to this!! I am so grateful to be getting a TGW update! I love Michael Slezak’s recaps more than anyone else’s and always look for his first, but lately there haven’t been any! This recap was the first one out there—I dunt kare iff et iz awl rawng (which it was not) —goooo Slezak!!

• Asta says:

Give him a break. He’s working on deadline. Do we really care about punctuation, isn’t about the meaning of what he’s writing?

6. Dee says:

How could you leave out Cary? How is it possible for this recap to leave out Cary?

• Lucy says:

Well, if you just consider that Kings rarely give Matt Czuchry good scenes or good plots…it’s not suprising if critics end up forgetting about him. Or underappreciating Matt Czuchry’s job.

7. ugh says:

I feel empty. This is “too” realistic. Still deciding on whether to continue watching. A big piece is missing.

• ugh says:

And no, it’s not just because of Will and Alicia. I’m really going to miss Will and Diane’s relationship.

• Shawn says:

Agree!!

• JJ says:

Totally agree. I couldn’t sleep after last week’s episode, and I just feel numb like Alicia after this one. How could I be feeling this from a TV show !?

• Asta says:

For me – and I’m sure a lot of other viewers – it brought up feelings about the death of a loved one which made it so gut wrenching and personal The last time I saw my late husband was in intensive care at the hospital, so sick from leukemia, but he seemed to have rallied giving me hope because he was very alert and laughing with me. The nurses let me stay way after hours, and I went home at 11pm ready to bring the stuff he asked the following morning. That night he went into a irreversible coma, and died a couple of days later. For months I replayed every detail of our visit over and over again like Alycia did.. I just wanted to make sure he knew how much I loved him, and because it was a jokey time that day/night I wish I had said so many things. 2-years later I remembered something I had forgotten about. When I got home at 11 30pm I called intensive care and told the nurse to tell my husband I loved him. At midnight he went intoo the coma. I realized he waiting to hear those words..

• Angela says:

I’m so sorry for your loss. I’m glad you were able to pass on those words to him, though.

• skipper2425 says:

Almost my story only my husband had lymphoma. It is amazing how I felt it was so sudden yet he had been in and out of chemo, stem cell transplant, etc and it seems I should have been prepared for it. But I wasn’t. The numbed reactions of each of the characters last night – shock, anger, guilt (if only I had …. ), remorse – echoed the entirety of my reaction. It was like each character took one of the emotions and it will be interesting how they process their stages of grief.

• Asta says:

You totally pinpointed it. You are never prepared. Now looking back at the story – it happened twenty years ago – I remembered exactly what happened. I was tormented whether the nurse had given the I Love You message. Tried to find the nurse who answered the phone to see if she had. Two years later I realized with a start it was obvious she had given the message and he was waiting to hear those words before dying. We are both British so we weren’t all gooey with each other and if I was suddenly he’d know he was dying!!! My thoughts are with you, and like me it was very cathartic to watch the reactions and having it touch us deeply.

• abz says:

I understand how you feel. I can’t believe just how close to reality they make this show and how much emotion it brings out. But that’s part of why I love this show.

8. Ron says:

I can’t. I just can’t. This episode, while horribly sad, is pretty much everything I needed in the world for an amazing TV episode. I had both tears and tremors from Julianna, Christine, Archie, and Matt’s performances. Holy damn. I was upset when Will died, but I just knew it would provide for great TV, and it did. This is how you do TV drama, people.

• Dee says:

You said it right Ron!

• abz says:

THIS!! It was a perfect hour of television. It truly is one of the greatest shows I have ever seen. I was emotional throughout, but I had so much confidence in these writers. They really know what they’re doing.

9. DAG says:

I’m sure that when Diane and Alicia embraced it may have been “teatful”, but I think you mean “tearful.” :)

• Asta says:

Please don’t nitpick what I said on my posting. I know I misspelled a word or two, or left out a word. There is no edit button!!!

• Bob Smith says:

The “edit” button re-reading what you just typed before hitting the Post Comment button. No, we’re not all perfect, but at least give it a shot.

• chester says:

I think DAG was talking about the original recap, written at top speed and published right after the show ended on the East Coast. It discussed a ‘tearful goodbye’

10. Martina says:

That was the best episode of TV I’ve seen this season!

11. delfiteblu says:

I’m sort of numb myself. Juliana Margules has always been able to make me feel that way but when Peter put his arms around her and she was just stiff, it really got me. I wasn’t enthused with Kalinda’s little jaunt down to the jail – it seemed pointless to me, but I guess it made HER feel better. Christine Baranski was wonderful and I want to hug her thru the screen when she fired that guy who insisted on meeting THAT day!

Does anybody know whether the day Diane and Gary Cole (can’t remember his name) went into the Clerk’s office – did they actually get married? They never showed it and he hasn’t been on the show since. That was the day she found out Alicia was leaving and came back to the office ready to tear the place down brick by trick.

• JJ says:

They did get married, but he’s a guest star so we don’t see him that often, but it would be nice if we see another scene with them this season. I love them together.

• Amy says:

His name is Kurt McVeigh. And he was in the episode when Diane found out she was not going to get the judgeship. And they confirmed they were married, when Kurt said he was going to go testify for Alicia on the case FA stole from LG.

12. Chester says:

A long teatful goodbye!

The autocorrect tried to change that to ‘tearful’ for me

13. The writing is fantastic, the acting is fantastic. Best show on TV. Please do not forget Carry’s scene.

14. Diva says:

If any good comes out of this please let it be that Alicia and Kalinda become friends again. Favorite part of the episode was Kalinda in the jail cell. Just wow. I can’t wait until we get to see the fight between Alicia and Peter.
    Alicia was stiff as a board in that hug.

• Dot says:

I didn’t read too much into the scene where Peter, who was VERY supportive of Alicia’s feelings , was hugging Alicia and she was stiff as a board. I should say: I didn’t see what some others seem to think about Alicia’s reaction. Grief, especially when it comes on so quickly, is hard to handle. You ARE numb and even when a loved one tries to comfort you, you don’t understand or care to understand because the grief outweighs how you feel. When my father died, my ex was so there for me but all I wanted was to be alone, alone with my grief and nothing he could do or say could change that. I saw that with Alicia’s response to Peter hugging her. She was walking in a fog all day. That is what intense grief does to you.

• Evan says:

Actually I sort of disagree here. I don’t think Peter was ever truly that supportive. I mean, sure he was when talking to Eli because he was viewing Will as a colleague and it being a tragic death, but you could see from the minute he saw Alicia, he was trying to gage what her frame of mind was and the way he was looking while trying to give the hug and just knowing she wasn’t giving any of it back, he was like “Uh oh.”

The confrontation in two weeks is going to be very intense to watch.

• Dot says:

Understand what you are saying but sometimes, even a husband or close family member, does NOT know how to react towards the person experiencing the intense grief. So you don’t say much and you hope a hug is sufficient to convey your support. Actions at times like this work better than words.

• Diva says:

I said she was stiff as a board for two reasons.
            (1) She was thinking of how she wanted Will to tell her he loved her and wanted her back. Since this is from her perspective, it tells us that that’s what she deeply wanted. Aka she’s in love with him.
            (2) The way she hugged Diane was totally different than Peter’s. Both were trying to console but in one she was as stiff as a board.

15. David P. Graf says:

I am so fed up that Alicia is apparently still carrying some kind of torch for Will even after he’s dead. I found the entire Wilicia story line to be bogus as it would have stirred up big trouble at the law firm once their relationship became known (as it was) to others there. You would have seen lawsuits and worse as other firms would have used the resulting upheaval to poach clients. Head people at companies like Boeing have been drop kicked into unemployment for pulling the same kind of stunt. I’d hoped that we were finally done with that with Will’s death but apparently not. It makes me lose respect for the character of Alicia. Will was an unethical lawyer who played games with others.

• JJ says:

You have your opinion and if you didn’t like them together that’s fine, but life and love is never black and white. Sure Will had his problems and was unethical at times, but he loved her very much, and they shared a very strong bond. Also, everything she’s done hasn’t been with the purest heart. I know this is the legal profession, and so it’s probably a bit more stringent in fraternization rules, but in my industry (I’m a TV writer/producer) relationships happen all the time at work, and as long as you’re not shoving it in people’s faces it’s just quietly ignored.

• David P. Graf says:

JJ,

Thank you for your candor but it still concerns me when the relationship is not between equals but say manager and managed.

• abz says:

This was not about whether we liked them together romantically or not. Anyone who has paid attention while watching would know that despite the recent animosity between Will and Alicia there was always that underlying connection between the two. They were old friends, reunited friends, lovers, coworkers, enemies, etc..They impacted each other’s lives in significant ways and this episode brought up the very real truth of the impact death has on all of us. Alicia is grieving and given that this episode clearly is taking place a day or two after last weeks, I don’t see why you’re freaking out about it.
      You can’t just expect a significant character like Will to die on the show and have it be resolved in an episode. That might be okay on a lesser show, but not a high quality show like TGW. It will impact these characters for the rest of the season and maybe even the next.
      And if we’re talking about ethics, each and every one of these lawyers has acted in some unethical way and that includes Alicia. It’s what makes them so complex and truly great characters because it’s not all black and white.

• David P. Graf says:

abz,

Unfortunately, I have all too well an acquaintanceship with what happens when those who are close to you die in an untimely manner. To try to escape dealing with that grief by creating a fantasy about her relationship with Will is not something I would have expected from someone like Alicia. It’s certainly not fair to her husband or even to herself to do this and it just rang false in my mind. It was like the writers deciding to throw in even more complications like they do on Scandal. She should mourn Will’s death but to let it throw a wrench into her dealings with Peter just doesn’t make sense to me. She had already chosen him over Will. However, we’ll have to agree to disagree. I just don’t want the rest of season to descend into a sudser.

• Spitey Spice says:

I think you’re missing the nuance of human emotion so beautifully written and portrayed here. Alicia was absolutely still trying to get over her feelings for Will. She chose Florrick/Agos and her marriage (to say she chose “Peter” over Will is again I think missing the nuance – she’s the good “wife” and chose her nearly 20 year marriage/kids over another relationship) in order to try to put her feelings for Will to rest. I think it’s fair to argue she even worked to stir an antagonistic relationship with Will in order to sour the relationship. The heart and the head, however, don’t always agree. I don’t think Alicia was fantasizing to escape grief. Grief heightens emotions that are already there. She loved Will in a very complicated way and in ways she hasn’t even admitted to herself. Emotion isn’t something she allows herself since Peter made a laughingstock out of her. I would argue the residual negative emotion from that trumps any negative feelings she had for Will and certainly can’t compete with the love she is just now realizing (if not admitting) the depths of which she felt. To think that she and Peter have a great relationship now isn’t accurate at all, but then you said “her dealings with Peter” so maybe you realize that at least in her mind, it’s not so much romance, but doing what she thinks is right.

(And for the record, I wasn’t pulling for a Will/Alicia reunion so much – I actually find Alicia’s frigidity offputting at this point. I wanted to see Will find some happiness and I don’t think that was possible with her, way too much baggage. Going to miss the Will and Diane dynamic like crazy.)

• Angela says:

Chalk it up to: grief is weird and people’s reactions to a death are just as messy and complex as their relationships were with the person who passed?

• Hattie says:

As a lawyer at a large national firm, I can attest that Will/Alicia relationships (i.e., partner/associate relatinsihps) are very, very common, and generally do NOT generate lawsuits or anything “worse ” What generally happens is that IF the couple decides to get married, then one has to leave the firm (because most firms have an anti-nepotism policy). Otherwise, partner/associate relationships are an accepted part of firm life. Lawyers work 60-80 hours a week so it isn’t surprising that they often have relationships at work. As for Will being “unethical,’ he did do unethical things, but so has Alicia. Alicia and Cary going after LG’s clients before they left the firm was unethical. It would violate the rules of professional responsibility in every state I am aware of.

• Dot says:

Good comment. I was in the legal profession for almost 30 years at a very influential and big firm in Chicago. Yes, there are relationships (I myself was in one for years), but The Good Wife tends to overdramatize things because it is TV!! Our firm let married couples stay at the firm but the firm was so big (over 300 lawyers), that it wasn’t an issue. The only thing you could NOT do is discuss cases with each other. The confidentiality issue. The only tricky thing was when the couple breaks up. But you DO move on because if it gets in the way of your job, you’re in big trouble.

• David P. Graf says:

Hattie,

I appreciate your honesty but given the difference in position and power it still seems unethical for a partner to have a relationship with an associate no matter how much time they spend at work. That’s why similar arrangements at other businesses have resulted in either one or both of the involved parties getting the boot. The irony in this is that one must leave when they get married which of course opens the door for either partner to start another relationship with someone else at their place of work.

• Dot says:

Disagree. Partners and associates DO end up in relationships. And even get married. I was not a lawyer but I dated a partner for several years. We kept our relationship at work very professional as do a lot of partner/associate relationships. We were mature enough to know that the office wasn’t a place to play footsie or be all mushy with each other. Firm policy never prohibited relationships between ANY employee as long as they kept things professional in the work place. There was a time that being gay was worse than being in an office relationship and gay people had to hide the fact, but that was a long time ago.

• Hattie says:

Regardless of your personal ethics, David, my point is that the Alicia/Will relationship did not violate the rules of professional responsibility for the legal profession, nor the internal rules of most (if not all) large law firms. I work at a 500+ law firm in DC and such relationships are commonplace. The reason one person must leave in the event of a partner/associate marriage at many firms is to avoid nepotism or the appearance of nepotism. This is true a my firm even if the partner/associate work in different groups and do not interact on business. As Dot pointed out above, not all firms have anti-nepotism polices though. In short, in the legal profession, Will/Alicia’s relationship would not be considered unethical.

• David P. Graf says:

Hattie,

It’s interesting that legal firms turn a blind eye to something which would get people fired in other businesses. However, each to their own. Thanks for the update.

• Asta says:

Love is complicated, especially love that never comes to fruition. She chose Peter because Eli erased that phone call where Will wanted to be together. She left the law firm because she needed to get away from what she felt was unreciprocated love. And come on, it was the same day and people have to process their feelings. Even lawyers.

16. Dee says:

Thanks for adding the Cary recap. Cary is a great character and beautifully acted. I agree, lets’ see more of Cary on the show. Cary Agos was even trending on Twitter tonight.

• abz says:

I think it was some of the finest acting by Matt Czuchry on this show. He was great this episode even if he was barely in it.

17. Em G says:

What a great episode! Every scene was spot on. Each member of cast delivered an Emmy level performance. Felt very true to life on the shock and disorientation survivors experience in wake of sudden and especially violent death.

18. Definitely still shaking after this episode. Highlight of my tv-watching Sunday without a doubt

19. Mareesa says:

More Jenna/Jordana Spiro please. Sooooo hot…..

20. skyart101 says:

Oh, I’m right with you Mr. Slezak–I don’t know quite how to process this episode. There is so much to process. It felt almost too realistic with the confusion and looking for answers that comes in moments like this. If that’s what they were looking for with this one then they nailed it!

21. I want to get out my aggressions and my anger by destroying your client. Now sit down. I said sit the hell down now . Cary is a BOSS

22. Crystal says:

I love this show and there is no other show on television that respects the viewer more by giving them so much in just one hour. The last two episodes have given us depth of character, amazing story telling, and a full range of emotions.
    But for the love of tv, can we move it back to a day where I don’t have to worry about what time it starts? Come on CBS!

23. Lucy says:

Cary Agos was trending on twitter. See what happens when they give Matt Czuchry what they give other cast members all the time. Too bad we had to wait 16 episodes for this. And too bad that will be probably the only good material they’ll give to him that season.

24. Jessica says:

I expected to be pissed at David Lee, but his reaction was opposite of what I was expecting, and is what affected me the most this episode! Powerful episode, though not as much of a tearjerker as I was expecting. (Last week I burst into tears and sobbed for 10 minutes.) Maybe because I was prepared this time. Alicia’s last daydream about how Will’s message could have gone was heartbreaking. I’m really looking forward to seeing where it goes from here now!

• abz says:

I too wasn’t expecting it. As he walked out of the conference room, I had instantly thought for a second that he was gonna do something sketchy and heartless like stare at Will’s office or something like that.

• Stacy says:

I did too! David Lee is utilized as a heartless jerk. But like Will, that often goes part and parcel with the job for him. Loved him and I can’t wait to see more of him this season.

• Evan says:

That’s exactly what I thought. I was saying at the TV “Don’t you dare walk into Will’s office and sit in the chair!” and then when he went in the conference room and told them to get out I went “And you better not smirk/smile!” Then when he started crying I went “Thank God, he’s being human!”

• I too was surprised by his reaction….I thought he was going to be a bit mad that the death would make the firm look bad to their clients and potential ones

• Overthinking says:

Yup. David’s reaction was the most shocking one……he actually shed tears!!!! But I am still waiting for the other shoe to drop. He will be back to his scheming, slimy old self once the shock of Will death has worn off. It will be time for the gloves to come off at LG.

I too was expecting the mood of the epi to be more tear jacking. The close I came to a tear or 2 was when Alicia was talking to her daughter and when Kalinda came out of the morgue after viewing Will’s body. I actually thought she was going to shoot the kid when she went to see him in jail.

• Barbara Ann says:

I agree that David Lee’s expression of grief was very surprising and touching. I was even more surprised when David offered Alicia a genuinely kind word about Will’s loss (“I’m sorry, Alicia).

I actually reacted with sadness and heartbreak over each of the characters’ shock and grief. The acting and writing were just that good. I too see some Emmy nominations. One of the more powerful and emotional episodes

I can’t wait to see the previewed throw-down between Alicia and Peter. From the refusal to return Peter’s call, to the stiffness when Peter tried to hug her, to the great line in the preview where Peter says: “My affair meant nothing” and Alicia’s reply: “Well my affair did.” I thought “Whew, this is going to be interesting.” Alicia’s grief showed where her heart really was, I don’t know what that is going to mean for Peter, but I don’t think it’s good. I can’t say I blame Alicia, Peter not only dragged her through his affairs with other women, but entangled her in his dishonesty in the election. Could be the end of Peter and Alicia.

• Dot says:

What she says to Peter IS her grief talking!! And hurt. What better person to lash out at but Peter? There was also anger. Anger at herself. I hope we don’t have to go thru how many seasons this show has left seeing Alicia all moon eyed when she thinks of Will and what could have been. Her AND Will had the chance. And poo poo on Will for leaving that first voice mail message proclaiming his love! You say that to the person you allegedly love IN PERSON.

25. Jessica says:

Oh! I loved Cary’s response in the deposition too! That was awesome! Douche lawyer deserved it.

26. foxytri says:

What a great episode – I agree with your recap. I can’t wait to see where this goes, I’m hoping this is the beginning of where Kalinda and Alicia mend their relationship – something good has to come of this.

27. Anon says:

“barely requited” – what show has Micheal Slezak been watching and confusing with The Good Wife?

28. Patti says:

Not quite sure how Diane fires the client. Yes, the firm suffered a loss, but for the client things go forward and he needed reassurance from someone. Just didn’t ring at all true to me.

• Stacy says:

Bull. Demanding an in person reassurance meeting merely a few hours after someone’s death? Hours, not days. No immediate deposition scheduled like Cary was forced to deal with. This is the epitome of callousness.

• Dot says:

You don’t understand the real law business. The firm did have a responsibility to meet with the client. Life doesn’t stop. The client always comes first, even if it take 5 minutes to meet with the client and reassure them. As for Cary’s deposition. That whole scene was so overly dramatic. In real life, that deposition would have been rescheduled for another day – and NOT 6 months away!! But this IS TV and the Good Wife always dramatize things.

• Chris says:

Hours? Really? The body wasn’t even cold yet. A client would at least mourn a day. He couldn’t have had any business that couldn’t wait a day. No respect for the dead. Diane was right to fire him. If only for the fact that he was the ONLY client to make such a demand.

• Grace says:

THIS is what you focus on! With all the heart wrenching scenes and amazing acting, ‘firing a client doesn’t ring true” is what’s important about this episode? Not the depth of true, deep emotion displayed by these gifted actors that gutted a non-robotic viewer?

• Hattie says:

Diane firing the client was my favorite scene in the show. The client demanding a meeting the day of Will’s death was true to life. (I am a lawyer and an aware of similar situations.) As for Diane’s reaction, I know many lawyers (myself included) who would want to fire a client in similar circumstances. The part that did not ring true to me was that Diane convinced other local law firms to blacklist the client. That would never happen.

• Dot says:

Hattie: If you’re a lawyer, you KNOW how The Good Wife just stretches reality to the max were lawyers and law firms are concerned. I, too, have seen situations where a partner dies unexpectedly and clients start calling and even showing up. And the firm DOES meet and talk with them. Clients always come first and most if not all would be sensitive to a situation like this. But you can’t blame some of them for being concerned about the matters that the firm is handling. And I, too, do NOT buy Diane being able to “blackist” anyone from other firms!!!

• Hattie says:

Dot: I have seen similar situations in real life, including a tragic circumstance where a partner committed suicide. Most clients are understanding and respectful, a minority are not. What struck me about this instance was that it was clear this client did not have a compelling need (i.e., an imminent deadline, trial date, etc.) to meet on that day. I agree, TGW generally does not portray law firm life accurately, nor does any show on television for that matter. It’s a good thing; it would be a very boring show if they portrayed Alicia doing endless hours of document review, brief drafting, etc.!

29. Stacy says:

What an absolutely stellar showcase of Good Wife’s talent. Everyone nailed it. Diane was my favorite. I love that she’s both openly grieving and yet at the same time is a ROCK. That’s strength. David Lee and Cary Agos not only got screen time, but some actual meat in this storyline. Agh. And little as he was used, Alan Cumming shows us why he’s awesome. His facial expression during the line about protecting Peter….

30. Hattie says:

I “got” Kalinda’s reaction. She was devastated, but she’s not the type to sit around crying or to offering/receiving condolences. Her journey was as much about finding the truth behind Will’s death as it was her way of coping by doing her job (i.e., investigating). I thought the brutal justice scene between Kalinda and the killer was classic and very true to Kalinda’s character.

31. Elizabeth says:

This show has ALWAYS been compelling television, but this season I am just blown away. The changes this year to the music, the pacing and the complete fearlessness are breathtaking to watch…..

32. Pat says:

“Can we please see more minutes per episode of this character for the remainder of Season 5?”
    Here we are again. Every season we’re left with the same comment about the character and the actor. Who has been on that show for 5 years waiting patiently and nicely for his moment to come, but those writers exceptionally always did find a way to put him in the backseat whatever storyline they conceived for the show. There’s always a good excuse to underuse Matt Czuchry in that show. That’s Robert and Michelle King mantra.
    If you think that was supposedly the Year of Cary and that scene was the first meaty material Matt Czuchry got since the premiere….he doesn’t need to be a regular for this and he doesn’t need to spend an entire year of his career for a show which gives him something good just when writers are in mood for it and just when they are not so busy giving other more eminent cast members their emmy tapes. That was another wasted season as for Cary. I think we got 3 seasons in a row of wasted and underused Cary. And maybe now it’s enough.

• Dee says:

I can sympathize with you about Cary/Matt but this season has been better than the others. It is very frustrating to see the producers and writers underuse such a great character and actor. On the one hand Matt is fortunate to be involved with the highest quality show on all of television but it sometimes hurts to see his level of involvement. Like when Cary was nearly beaten to death and then showed up the nest day with only a black eye. I know they had to rewrite some episodes due the Nick’s departure but I can’t imagine them giving any other regular character such short treatment. This year has been much better though. It seems to be universally agreed by critics that Matt Czuchry nails the role of Cary. The Twitter response last night was terrific. I look forward every week to seeing this character and hope they continue to involve Cary in meaningful screen and story time.

• Chris says:

I know how you all want more Cary, but you have to remember…the show is called THE GOOD WIFE. She is the epicenter of the show and mostly all of the storylines stem from her. Everyone else is supporting. I think now that Will is gone, Cary will get more screen time…since Alice & Cary are “the new Will & Diane.” I’m wondering how much Diane will figure into the story now, since Will was Alicia’s tie to LG. I hope the King’s creativity will keep Diane in the loop…she’s such an layered character and Christine Baranski plays her with grace and dignity.

• Lucy says:

This show is called the Good wife and nobody wants Cary to become the new Alicia. People complain because unlike Christine Baranski, Archie Panjabi or other supporting cast members, Matt Czuchry was never given the chance to shine in that show. Let me know if that season Matt Czuchry got one episode he can submit for the Emmy or just a good storyarc. He was featured more, yes, and that’s all.
          On contrary others, like, Christine Baranski for istance, were given plenty of chances to show their acting skills that season: Christine, even if she wasn’t always featured like Josh Charles, was able to stand out, because writers constantly wrote for her those kick-ass scenes where the character was allowed to emote and show emotions. That’s a good way to allow an actor to prove he/she can act.
          Matt Czuchry was given pretty poor material instead and not a real storyline. Yeah, he’s a partner into his own firm but the storyline never addressed Cary’s point of view. It was about Alicia, it was about Diane, it was about Will. Cary was just there with nothing really interesting to do. And how many times did we see Cary angry or just emotional or passionate about the firm or about something else? So few times that now people are surprised when he shows some emotions and they’re also suprised that Matt Czuchry can act….that after 5 years with that show and people still don’t know he can act. And how he can prove it if the scripts doesn’t give a him a damn chance to do it. I don’t know why writers keep perpetrating that unfairness toward the character, the actor and his fans. He’s the only one writers were always willing to give a “short treatment” and they never fixed that thing.

33. nikki says:

I am tired of Will and Willicia. Can it finally die already? This show is worse than Scandal and Revenge put together. Goodbye St. Will.

• Pal says:

Really classy word selection, Nikki. You’re a fine lady who can appreciate great shows, aren’t you?
      (Just in case you don’t get this, I am being sarcastic).

• Tee says:

I think you need to turn off your TV for a few days or watch the news and realize that you are getting way too emotional about a TELEVISION show. These people aren’t real, they are characters that “live” in a hyper-dramatic and highly fictionalized environment. There is no actual Florrick family. Will Gardner didn’t actually die last week. All of these characters are the creation of writers.

All of you need to calm down.

• Asta says:

We aren’t getting upset about his death per se, we know this is a scripted tv show and not a reality show, which is scripted also. Things like this stir up emotions in us that dig deep into things that have happened in our personal lives. Things that make us think instead of just turning off the tv and la-de-da. That is what good television is supposed to do.

• Dot says:

But then the next day you forget it about it; you know – reality kicks in because it is ONLY a TV show. The posts where people won’t watch the show again, that they are devastated, etc etc are taking it too far. Last night, however, probably brought up a lot of feelings from the viewers when they themselves lost a love one, whether unexpectedly or expected. Alicia’s reactions were so normal, including her being so unresponsive when Peter hugged her,. Alicia has never been a very emotional person and she just does not know how to deal with any kind of emotion. She doesn’t know how to deal with ANY of this.

34. ivy says:

a great cast
    well acted
    but i have really turned on Alicia, i really don’t like her anymore

• Phil Smith says:

Well, its probably just the two of us, but I would much rather them have killed off Alicia an renamed the show “The Goof Firm” or something. Yes, I do realize Josh Charles is the one who wanted to leave, but having an Alcicia-less show is no less valid a dream than enduring 5 seasons of that annoying WIllicia stuff.

35. Danna_Iuliana says:

What a superb cast, everyone was fantastic and true to character. I’ve never seen a TV death portrayed so real, I had to keep reminding myself that Josh is fine. I was surprised by David Lee’s reaction, he was my favorite tonight. Also Carey was great as well. It was amazing to see how differently people react to loss, it felt so real…a truly remarkable episode. Am I the only one who doesn’t like Finn? I hope he”ll change my mind but same as with Michael J.Fox, up until now I maintain a 0 interest for these characters. I only listened to Finn tonight bc he was talking ab Will.

36. Aaron says:

Great episode and Great review. This show just keeps getting better and better. A few lingering questions:
    – If Alicia and Peter get a divorce, does that spell the end of the show since its titled The Good Wife. I can buy that despite separation, jail or infidelity that the show can still go on because Alicia is still “technically Peter’s wife, but I’m afraid that if Will’s death does lead Alicia towards finally divorcing Peter that that will spell the end of the show.
    – If Michael J. Fox’s character is the new managing partner will that mean he’ll be promoted to series regular too? I do hope so, and Nathan Lane too.
    – I think it was mentioned that Matthew Goode’s character was an ASA. Will he eventually move to either Diane or Alicia and Cary’s firm. If not will we see more of the cook county offices and other ASA’s like Geneva Pine or Laura Hellinger.
    – If and when the Cary Kalinda romance impodes (everybody knows that it will) can we please please see it on screen. Most of their romance is offscreen which i really dig, but its also driving me nuts.
    -Also, what’s the go on a spinoff series with Carrie Preston’s character. Can we get a campaign started or something?
    Also, lastly, when will we see Owen next. I miss him.

• Overthinking says:

I totally expected to see Owen on this epi. He was in Will/Alicia corner. Hopefully we can see him even for a few minute comforting Alicia. I love Owen’s character.

37. Polly says:

this episode was a series of punches to the stomach one after the other. i was mesmerized for the whole hour.

38. Joel says:

Zach Grenier for best performance of the week. He made me feel for David Lee a character I have loathed since day one. His work in this episode was outstanding

39. troll says:

Diane’s story was the only believable one for me, everyone else seem to make it about themselves.This episode didn’t touch me as much as I thought it would.

40. al prior says:

Latest install. 3/30/ 14 ridiculous! Allowing Kalinda to view Will’s body-to question Med. examiner – to talk to suspect/killer not possible.
    to portray such things stupid – full of bull….! It gives viewer the idea that such things could happen!

41. RMA says:

I have never seen a show exude grief in a more realistic way. It was truly a remarkable episode. I was shocked how David Lee reacted, and even surprised by Cary. Diane was a given…of course she loved WIll! Kalinda grieved in the only way she knows: by investigating. She knows the truth, and her last gift to Will is to make sure that justice is served. But Alicia. Oh, Alicia. I so get her. I have done the exact same thing too many times. The rewinding and recreating. How did he die? What was he thinking? Was he thinking of me? Did he still hate me? Did he know that I loved him? Why wasn’t I there to hold his hand? It is so heartbreaking for those left behind.
    The Kings have done these characters proud. I am so excited to take this journey with them. It’s going to be a fascinating ride. Kudos to The Good Wife!

• Carolyn says:

Totally agree, RMA! This episode was remarkable! Death is so final, and each character dealt with their grief admirably. Even Peter realized that Alicia could not appreciate that he truly was sorry because she was still processing what that last call could have meant. I thought the acting was superb, and it was a beautifully written final tribute to the character of Will. It was also so respectful to Josh Charles’ leaving, and it seemed that the entire cast was wishing him the best in his future endeavors! By the way, I read that Owen and Alicia’s mother(the wonderful Stockard Channing) return this season to try to help her cope. I am looking forward to the confrontation between Alicia and Peter because she finally admits that she cheated and it DID mean something for her!! I think it might be a good turning point in their relationship where Peter sees that she’s not the saintly woman he pictures! Thanks also to Michael Slezak– your recaps are amazing!!

42. Deion says:

I…don’t know. This was a remarkable hour of television, to be sure, but I am still frustrated with the Will/Alicia story. Every character on this show knew how much Will loved Alicia, including her husband. Diane and Kalinda thought to call her in the same breath they thought to call his family. Eli knew to get her off the stage when the call came in. Peter knew to protect his position. I feel like we’re still guessing at how Alicia felt about him. I need to see her break down and say the words. To acknowledge her loss. Maybe she’ll save it for time with Owen. Maybe she’ll say it when she unloads on Peter in a couple of weeks, but she needs to get it out for me to have my closure. He loved her. Selflessly and to a fault. Alicia, where is the love?

P.S. – I would not be opposed to Eli confessing that he’d deleted the second message in the first season finale either. It might be her only way to accept his feelings.

43. Cesc says:

Does not anyone remember by what was happening to Will?
    Nobody thinks like his death is convenient for someone?

• Hbomb says:

You know, when they mentioned that he was calling Damian and was mad at him for stealing clients.. . my heart just DROPPED. The client kid was getting beat up in holding repeatedly.. but why? I wonder if it wasn’t a ploy to get him to do something drastic. Of course, it would be preposterous (because how could you guarantee that Will would get shot?) but TV is nothing if not preposterous.

44. You spelled atheist wrong.

45. Yo says:

I loved this show for so long, but CBS insists on making people readjust a whole evening schedule to watch it. I gave up. Even my DVR apparently doesn’t have the patience for it.

46. Lori says:

How does this show manage to top itself week after week? The brilliance just keeps on coming. Bravo to all.

47. Ange says:

I was a bit disappointed. I expected more emotion and less searching for Will’s last words or last thoughts. What I did like is how it set up the remainder of the season and what is yet to come. Now that has me wanting to watch in weeks to come. Hopefully all of my questions are not answered in one episode.

48. Marie Ragazzo says:

The previews shown at the close of the March 23rd episode showed an angry exchange between a crying Alicia and her husband in their apartment. I do not recall seeing that footage in the March 30th episode. Why was that not shown?

• abz says:

That preview was for the rest of the 5th season, not just for the next episode. Based on the promo for the next episode two weeks from now, I think that’s when we’ll see that scene.

49. James Butler says:

I find it disheartening that when I leave a comment (early) and go back to see if there are any replays I don’t see my comment even though it’s posted before I leave the page. Is there an explanation for the slight. I don’t use bad language and my comment isn’t addressed to any one person. What’s Up?

50. S. from A. says:

Will’s death and all the consequences put the show into another dimension. Just as I expected. This season has been splendind so far and it is getting better and better.