Dynasty's Kate O'Mara Dead at 74

Kate O'Mara DeadBritish actress Kate O’Mara, best known to U.S. audiences for playing Alexis Colby’s sister Caress Morell in Dynasty, passed away Sunday morning. She was 74.

O’Mara died in Sussex, England, after a brief illness, our sister site Deadline reports.

In addition to her role in Dynasty, O’Mara’s extensive television career also included roles in BBC One’s Doctor Who (The Rani) and Howards’ Way (Laura Wilde). She was last seen playing Mrs. Simmons in a 2012 episode of ITV’s Benidorm.

Joan Collins, who appeared opposite O’Mara in Dynasty, tweeted about her former co-star’s death:

1. Andy J says:

And don’t forget her role as Patsy’s sister Jackie on “Absolutely Fabulous”.

2. That’s sad. I also loved her in Absolutely Fabulous.

3. Robert says:

I remembered her from Dynasty, I thought she was so beautiful and her character had great potential that was never truly tapped. I hope her passing was a peaceful.

4. Polly says:

never watched Dynasty. remember her as The Rani in Doctor Who though.
    RIP

5. Ms Thing says:

I will always remember her as Caress Morell. RIP Kate.

6. Bored Now! says:

The biggest problem with being a younger fan of Doctor Who and only recently having watched the classic episodes is that it seems like every other week you hear of the passing of another incredible actor/actress (and by extension the character they played) who you have only recently had the pleasure of getting to know. So many scenes from the early eras now full of people dead and gone. Such a shame.

RIP The Rani. RIP Kate.

7. CandaceTX says:

THIS is how you age beautifully. Even in her later years, she remained a stunning woman.

8. Alex says:

I’m sorry I’ll never get to meet her at a Doctor Who convention. :( She was great on that show even when the scripts weren’t so good. And I loved her on Dynasty–I was a huge fan of the show.